Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I called a “critter getter” to live trap a squirrel(s) that keeps breaking into my house and storing acorns in my basement.

They said it costs $500 to trap the squirrel. When I asked how I know that they’ve trapped the guilty squirrel and not some innocent fella who wandered into the trap, they were insulted I’d question their expertise.

The last time I hired a service to trap a raccoon that was terrorizing my dogs, I was charged a fortune anytime an animal wandered into the trap. They caught every single animal in the neighborhood, except for the raccoon and it cost me a fortune.

Any DLers have tips on successfully catching and relocating critters? And while we're at it, anyone have any success getting rid of moles with the mole repellant stakes you put in your lawn?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2021 11:19 AM

Shotgun.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2021 5:53 PM

WTF is wrong with you. Let the squirrel do what he's doing. What's the harm. Learn to live with your fellow animals.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2021 5:54 PM

R2 I love my fellow animals! I won't harm them. I just don't want them in my house, chewing the electric cords.

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2021 5:58 PM

My parents do frequently. Just a normal trap that you would use for small rodents.

They just take them to a park a few miles away and let them go.

There is nothing wrong with the OP R2. Have you seen what squirrels do to patio furniture? Bird feeders? They may look cute but they are basically rats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2021 6:00 PM

They don't chew electrical cords if they have their nuts. Buy them some nuts.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2021 6:01 PM

Put the trap in the attic? Not outside.

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2021 6:04 PM

It's a fuckin' squirrel. Just get some warifin and keep the dogs away from it.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2021 6:07 PM

You can buy a humane trap for about 40 buck on Amazon . It’s very easy to do you put some kibble inside and they will be trapped. Let them go somewhere in the woods or call animal control.

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 6:08 PM

We had a squirrel problem but it was gray squirrels vs. red. There's a fantastic device that uses a CO2 cartridge that is essentially a squirrel hit man. At that time the model for grays weren't available bc covid halted testing (happening on a military base where they were destroying parts of the tarmac, IIRC. It's available in the UK and Australia) but the model for red squirrels is available for sale in the US. Apparently the size difference would leave the larger squirrels extremely dazed (which to me is hysterical).

They were driving me insane because they were nesting in the walls surrounding my bed, and one morning I couldn't take it, hooked up several bluetooth speakers and just nest to the ceiling and walls blasted the call of a red tailed hawk, and atleast 3 ran outside to scout. We wound up catching one more as it was trying to get in, but if it happens again I'm going to try to get ahold of the little CO2 hit man in a can.

They're genuinely maddening

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 6:11 PM

I'm OP: I just got a night vision camera from Amazon to put in the basement and capture the critter in action. This is the most adorable detective story I've ever been part of. I'll post pix here.

I'm highly skeptical that the critter-getter's plan to put a trap outside of the house instead on inside will capture the culprit.

Anyone have any luck getting rid of moles? Apparently, pest companies have no humane way to deal with them--they poison them. I just want to get them to stop tearing up my property--it's like the landscape of the moon.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 6:19 PM

[quote]critter-getter

I love American English very much.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2021 11:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!