Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

In which Sarah Silverman tells a racist Asian joke to an Asian guy’s face on Maher’s show in 2001

The worst part is when she sneers at him for not understanding that she’s above it all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 14, 2021 7:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2021 12:19 AM

David Spade IS Ellen Degeneres

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2021 12:24 AM

Is Silverman even relevant anymore? Is she still around?

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2021 12:31 AM

silverman and always has been an unfunny, piece of shit that deserves to be kicked in the cunt repeatedly

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2021 1:00 AM

You mean Sarah Silverman, the Kike cunt?

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2021 2:30 AM

Thanks OP!

Anymore news from 20 years ago you wish to enlighten us with?

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2021 2:32 AM

We’re supposed to watch an hour show and mine it for your slanderous tidbit?

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2021 2:33 AM

it happens right at the beginning, actually, R7

by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 2:34 AM

OP took this out of the “liberals are just hypocrites and let me throw in a ‘woke’ and a ‘canceled’ in there” file.

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 2:35 AM

Cancel her.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 2:52 AM

Jews without a face…

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2021 2:55 AM

I don't think she should be canceled, but I think she ought to knock off all the super woke shit because she pretty much made her career off telling jokes about all the marginals she's now rushing to rescue.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2021 2:59 AM

Watching this is exactly why “wokeness” needed to happen and this is what people say they miss when they miss the “good old days” before wokeness. Being white and being free to be ignorant and racist without consequence.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2021 3:29 AM

R12 When has she rushed to the rescue? She just takes what marginals say and it applies it to her group.

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2021 3:30 AM

No, she's always going on about gays and trannies and black people. And she usually has no idea what she's talking about. During Pride month this year, she told all the gays they had a trans POC to thank for their freedoms.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2021 3:36 AM

And watching this, I’m so glad the 90’s and the 00’s are over when you had these blatant racist homophobic straight white comedians preaching that their acts were all about teaching anti-racism and anti-homophobia and everything was satire.

No it wasn’t, it was all to make straight white people laugh.

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2021 3:38 AM

Let's dig up some twenty year old shit on you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2021 4:37 AM

[quote] We’re supposed to watch an hour show and mine it for your slanderous tidbit?

It's the first 5 minutes and it's FUCKING VILE

If ever anyone deserved to be canceled, it's that smug cunt telling that guy she's doing him a favor by calling him a chink

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2021 10:30 AM

Words hurt. In the past, people got hurt a lot by what people said, but all they received as a response was "suck it up, buttercup!". As a society we have to move past making others feel small by demeaning them and calling it jokes those fragile snowflakes don't get. There is no difference between racists and bigots hiding behind the Bible and racists and bigots hiding behind "It's a joke! Can't you take a joke, you snowflake?".

Once upon a time, comedians got a free pass for saying stuff on stage or on camera polite society wouldn't dare to say out loud. It was all about the "let's be real: Deep down we aren't so nice after all!" reality check. Look at DL and our pointless bitchery. We get cunty and shady, and we're loving it. We don't care if someone is hurt. We just want to express our inner bitch cunt. But it doesn't mean that DLers are bad people in real life who hate women, other gays, or babies in strollers. It just stays within DL and since it's an anonymous message board, no need to apologize to anyone (DL, social media, or real life). Celebs, including comedians, don't have that luxury. They get called out on things they said in the past even when those things were just attempts to be edgy and get a rise out of their audience (I can't believe he/she/they just said that! LOL!).

If someone is genuinely hurt by something you've said, the right thing to do is to apologize and try to be more respectful in the future. Because, don't we want to be treated with respect and dignity by our peers? Someone's gotta do the first step, or it's just a stagnant standoff during a Game of Chicken.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2021 10:54 AM

R13 makes a really good point. Yes, there is an annoying aspect to some of what is "wokeness" and "SJWs" etc, but we don't want to go back to those times either, surely.

I view it like a pendulum, it may swing a bit too far the other way at times, but it will eventually (hopefully) settle in a better place.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2021 11:31 AM

[quote] is exactly why “wokeness” needed to happen

EXCEPT when it comes to Jews. See R5, R11 for examples.

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2021 11:38 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2021 11:47 AM

Silverman was on Conan's show and used "chink" in a joke prior to that Maher appearance, and it caused a stir. Aoki, a long-time Asian American activist, wrote her to explain how offensive it was, and she wrote back basically telling him it wasn't racist at all.

Maher defended and invited her and Aoki onto the show, basically so they could say the word "chink" again.

It's discussed a little in this review of her book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2021 11:53 AM

The whole incident with Aoki was brought up again a few years ago in 2017 when Maher used the n-word and then apologized for it. Lots of people, including Aoki, mentioned that he might have apologized for the n-word but not for the other slurs, including the ones he said to Aoki that night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2021 11:54 AM

Silverman and Maher are Jewish hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2021 11:54 AM

Pretty girl oblivious to atrocious things she says with a winsome smile = comedy gold

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2021 11:54 AM

She’s always been a horrible person.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2021 12:00 PM

It reveals a very cynical, borderline sinister, hierarchy of which group you can or cannot insult. Like in the very recent stand up special of David Chappelle and his punching down comments.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2021 12:07 PM

Aoki is a Japanese name. There are a whole other set of slurs for him.

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2021 12:18 PM

"EXCEPT when it comes to Jews. See [R5], [R11] for examples."

She revels in calling a person a " Chink," then she can be called a "Kike cunt." Period. So, fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2021 12:56 PM

That's not how it works, r30.

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2021 1:08 PM

I’ve always Ann Marie Johnson m!

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2021 1:29 PM

I love at 2:35 when Anne Marie asks "but where is the joke?"

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2021 1:35 PM

She's made plenty of Holocaust jokes that have upset a lot of people over the years, so I don't know what this "she would never joke about Jews" stuff is all about.

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2021 1:39 PM

In 2005, A.O. Scott, co-chief film critic for The New York Times, panned “Sarah Silverman: Jesus Is Magic,” which was based on her one-woman show and involved taboo-breaking jokes about a range of topics including race. Suggesting Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor as reference points, our reviewer wrote, “She depends on the assumption that only someone secure in his or her own lack of racism would dare to make, or to laugh at, a racist joke, the telling of which thus becomes a way of making fun simultaneously of racism and of racial hypersensitivity.”

The critique “hit me hard,” Silverman later said, and led her to take another look at her act.

It’s rare that a review has that kind of effect, and as part of a series of wide-ranging conversations Scott is having with artists, he and Silverman recently sat down via video call to discuss that moment and why admitting you’re wrong (as Silverman asked our critic to do as well) can be freeing. Here are edited excerpts from the conversation.

A.O. SCOTT I want to start out talking about our strange history because it really is a unique event in my life as a critic: Somebody I wrote about in a critical way responded by engaging it and taking it seriously. It almost always happens that people ignore it completely, or if I said something nice, they were happy about it, or maybe they get defensive and push back. But in like 25 years of writing criticism, no one has ever done what you did and I’ve thought about it for a long time.

I was impressed with your response, but I also felt bad. Because when I look back, I feel now I was singling you out for something that was bothering me that was going on in comedy and elsewhere in popular culture. It wasn’t entirely fair of me to scold you the way I did.

And it’s gotten me thinking over the years about some of the challenges both of doing comedy and of writing criticism: You’re supposed to be honest, and you’re supposed to tell the truth and not worry about giving offense. On the other hand, what you do, what I do has a risk of hurting people. So I wanted to talk about that, about comedy and your own work and your sense of it is now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2021 1:46 PM

SARAH SILVERMAN I still haven’t looked at “Jesus Is Magic.” I find it torture to look at old stuff I’ve done, for the most part, especially stand-up.

Just looking back 15, 16 years, I know all the places where it’s problematic and probably some I don’t remember, as well. This sounds corny, but that’s what I love about art, especially comedy. It’s not evergreen. It changes so much every time you return to it, and as the world changes and as hopefully you change. That’s how art can teach us, whether it’s good stuff or bad stuff, problematic or inspirational, it’s all the same.

Let’s go back to your review. It was I think, my one real bad review, and I probably take umbrage with a bunch of points. I’m sure it bummed me out, and there were things that felt like projection onto me, you know?

SCOTT I think that’s right.

SILVERMAN Like me trying to be Lenny Bruce or Richard Pryor. I didn’t even know of Lenny Bruce, and I barely had seen Richard Pryor, embarrassingly. You’re wrong. Those weren’t my intentions because I was ignorant of them. They actually weren’t my heroes. I was a Steve Martin gal, and I never wrote stand-up by topic or by what’s taboo. I know it seems like I do, but I just don’t. That’s never been my process.

Surprise, however, is what’s ingrained in me as wanting to instill. So, it’s not like you’re totally wrong. The answer is that my dad taught me to swear when I was 3, and I saw this immense approval by adults, despite themselves, and I became addicted to that feeling.

I think that’s the impetus of a lot of my material then and, of course, led to a total identity crisis for me subsequent to “Jesus Is Magic,” because if your thing is surprise, and you want to give them what they expect, which is surprise, you know?

SCOTT Right.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2021 1:47 PM

SILVERMAN It ended up being cathartic because I [realized you’ve] got to throw it all away and start over and bomb again. Now you’re bombing as someone who people paid money to see, and there are stakes, but comedy dies in the second-guessing of what people want to see.

But the thing you wrote that kind of changed me on a molecular level, which is what, I think, you were kind of onto at the time was completely what I was abusing — and you saw that before anyone else, and you made me see it — which is I’m liberal, so I’m not racist, so I can say the N-word, because I’m illuminating racism.

My intentions were good but ignorant, and it’s funny that in that movie and in the subsequent series I did, my character was ignorant [and] arrogant, but what I didn’t realize was [that I] myself was arrogant [and] ignorant. So, I forgive myself, if that’s OK, because I just think that’s how you move on.

SCOTT Of course, and I think when you said I was projecting, you were right in a few different ways. For one thing, probably projecting my own comic tastes and ambivalence. I also like Steve Martin. I think the first comedy record I ever bought was “Let’s Get Small.” But I think one reason I wrote about the show the way I did was that I recognized a problem that I had, too. One of the things I would change or take back about the review is not implicating myself, judging you but not making it clear that also there was a self-critique in it: that is, I think that the problem you just described as “I’m liberal, so what I say is OK,” I’m saying it in quotation marks. I have these oven mitts of irony on that, so no one’s here going to get burned, and also not just [me], but everyone in this room. We all know.

SILVERMAN If you’re offended, you don’t get it.

SCOTT Right. You don’t get the joke, and — —

SILVERMAN You are allowed no feelings.

SCOTT Right, and the thing is I think a lot of people of our age and general background use that and had that idea, whether we were professional stand-up comedians or not, that it’s OK for me to say these things because I don’t really mean them.

SILVERMAN I think, to a degree, in comedy, if you’re playing a character — I’m not defending that, especially because I agree with you on so many levels — but there is nuance if you’re playing a character.

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2021 1:48 PM

SCOTT Right. Of course.

SILVERMAN I’m sure this is referenced to death, and I’m not comparing myself, but you know, Carroll O’Connor [playing the racist Archie Bunker in “All in the Family”], that character was very pointedly a character.

SCOTT Right. Right.

SILVERMAN And certainly, in [my] special, I went the direction of always saying the opposite of what I thought or felt, and hopefully the transcends through it, but I am agreeing with you completely.

SCOTT There’s a thing I always have thought about, a “Saturday Night Live” sketch with Eddie Murphy [reading a “fan” letter from] Ronald Reagan that had all these racist jokes, and Eddie Murphy was horrified to read these jokes, but the thing is, he read the jokes. And what I remember is going to school and kids were telling the jokes, white kids. Dave Chappelle talked about this after his show [when he abruptly departed “Chappelle’s Show,” he said among other reasons, “I was doing sketches that were funny, but were socially irresponsible”]: You can’t quite control where it goes and what it means to people.

SILVERMAN You can’t. It’s not yours anymore. But do you not speak to an adult audience because a young audience might get ahold of it? I had a friend who used to call it a mouthful of blood laughs. Because it’s when you say something intended to be perceived a certain way, and it’s inferred in a very different way, it’s horrifying, and you can’t control it. You can only control what you put out. But I think it makes a big statement when Dave walked away but continues to make incredible stuff.

SCOTT I guess you reach a certain level where the public is there, and you’re not sure who’s in the room and whether it’s landing the way that you had intended.

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2021 1:49 PM

SILVERMAN That’s why you’ve got to try stuff over and over again. The invention of cellphones with cameras was awful for comedians because you’re figuring out where the line is, and you’re saying terrible things. You’re testing things out. You can’t just practice in front of a mirror.

SCOTT There’s also the phenomenon of social media that immediately becomes this broadcast medium that puts you out there. Are you on social media? Does it affect how you work and how you think?

SILVERMAN I was walking my dog today and — this is so obnoxious — I thought of tweeting, “Don’t ask me to blurb anything,” and then, I was like what a [jerk], that these are my problems.

I’m on social media, but I don’t feel beholden to it. I don’t mind being wrong and getting my mind changed, so I don’t have as much fear. I’ve [messed] up so many ways, publicly, and I don’t apologize if I’m not sorry, but I do always apologize when I’m sorry. I can tell you it’s not for fear of being canceled.

It’s such a thing seeing people’s chip on their shoulders. Entire political spectrums just cannot be wrong. They’ll build a whole house of cards on needing to be right. It’s such a prison but also just from being in relationships and experiencing people who cannot be wrong — that’s an awful, terrible way to live. If they only knew how easy and wonderful it is. It makes people feel good, you know?

I like seeing stuff from the past and going, wow, that’s so [messed] up, because it shows how far we’ve come. Your piece for me really put a finger on something that was important to point out, but there are things in that same article that I would find problematic today. I think the nicest thing you said about me was that I was “reasonably pretty.”

SCOTT That was awful. That is exactly the point: You say things at the time that seem reasonable and that you read them 15 years later, and you think, my God, what?

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2021 1:49 PM

SILVERMAN I’ll just say one more thing.

SCOTT Yes.

SILVERMAN [Reading from the review] “Like many … Jewish comedians, Silverman falls back on her ethnic identity as a way of claiming ready-made outsider status.” Would you say that today, or would you ever say that about any other minority?

SCOTT You know as a Jewish person, I would say that because it’s sort of an internal argument, but I don’t think I would say it that way. I don’t think I would say it again without including myself in it.

SILVERMAN Listen, obviously, I agree, and I partake — as so many Jewish comedians do — in this self-deprecation that is Judaism. But as “a false way to claim outsider status” is the actual problem with this gas in the air that is anti-Semitism, especially on, I hate to say it, the left. It’s assuming that Jews are not to be worried about and do not merit allyship. Racism is defined by racists, not liberals, and they don’t like Jews. So, when people say Jews are white, I’m as white as you can be, but if you ask a white person, they’ll disagree.

SCOTT All right. Point taken.

SILVERMAN Sorry, I get passionate.

SCOTT No, I think that’s fair.

SILVERMAN You would never say that about another culture, who also in comedy uses their culture as a way in with — —

SCOTT Oh, I think, actually I would broaden it out because I think that the claiming of outsider — actually, you know what, you’re right, because I think that the appropriation of outsider status is a problem that many, many comedians have.

SILVERMAN As a crutch, it’s one thing. But it’s also a way in, using what’s different about you as a way in to connect with all people.

SCOTT That’s true, and I think that often the sense of vulnerability or of outsider perspective is important and is authentic if it’s part of what someone lived through. I think the problem is to assume a sort of equivalence between all of them.

I was thinking about a documentary some years ago [with] a bunch of comedians — I don’t think you were in it — talking about comedy. It wasn’t particularly illuminating. It was almost all white males talking about being outsiders and feeling different. I’m sure that’s an authentic feeling. Like, I was beat up and made fun of as a child and felt often like a miserable outsider, but to say that therefore I have some share in broader social and cultural experiences is, I think, a little bit risky.

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2021 1:50 PM

SILVERMAN If we’re only talking about [comedy], sure. I agree. People go, cis white men, blah, blah, blah, and I find myself doing it too, but everyone’s got their story. Even the most marginalized can have compassion for people less marginalized than them.

SCOTT In a way that connects with what you were saying earlier about being willing to say you’re wrong. In the sort of the climate you’re talking about, of everyone walking around with chips on their shoulders, there isn’t a lot of room for changing your mind.

SILVERMAN There’s what I call “righteousness porn” about canceling people, or whatever you want to say, with no path to redemption. I love being right, but I find, when I realize I’m wrong, thrilling. I like being uncomfortable.

SCOTT Righteousness porn is such a good phrase. I think there’s also an unfortunate counter-tendency any time certain subjects come up that people want to talk critically about, racism or sexuality or gender or feminism. The sirens go off and people start talking about “cancel culture,” which always seems to me a reason to tune out talking about any of those things that make us uncomfortable.

SILVERMAN That may be the case on social media, but I think, in practice, it is not the case. The past year or two, I’ve worked with several people who are they/them, and I’m so excited to embrace it. [I mess] it up constantly, and my experience is they go, “It’s fine, you’re trying.” We learn how to say Galifianakis and Schwarzenegger like nothing. Why can’t we figure out pronouns?

[The conversation winds back to reviews and review excerpts.]

SILVERMAN I wrote a book, and much to HarperCollins’s chagrin, I would not ask anyone to blurb my book, because I just think it’s just such an imposition. I made up fake reviews.

SCOTT Publicists or the marketing people will send me the quotes they want to use, and sometimes it’s just 11 random words from the review but all squished together. There was one, I don’t remember what the movie was, and I said, if you can tell me what that means, then I’ll let you use it. It’s certainly not anything I wrote.

SILVERMAN When it’s just adjectives, like daunting — —

SCOTT Well, adjectives are the terrible crutch of criticism. I try to teach students, don’t throw a bunch of adjectives at something and think that that’s a review.

SILVERMAN No adjectives?

SCOTT Then you end up with things like “reasonably pretty,” and it comes back to haunt you.

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2021 1:51 PM

[quote] And watching this, I’m so glad the 90’s and the 00’s are over when you had these blatant racist homophobic straight white comedians preaching that their acts were all about teaching anti-racism and anti-homophobia and everything was satire.

But nothing has changed. There are comics still making offensive jokes. Except, now they're not pretending it's satire. It's just straight low brow, racist humor. There's this female comedian named Anjelah Johnson who has a bit where she imitates a Vietnamese manicurist, with the exaggerated accent and everything. It's tacky, racist, low brow humor, but crowds love it.

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2021 1:54 PM

OP, thank you for posting this. Afterwards, Janeane Garafalo defended Silverman while Margaret Cho chastised Silverman. And then, Silverman backed away from commenting anymore.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2021 1:56 PM

You do realise that every race has its share of ignorant racist morons, right? It's not exclusive to being white. The woke scolds screech about reading a history book, but it's apparent most of you haven't read up on history. Look up "empires and dynasties throughout history" (all of which indulged in slavery, committed genocide, committed attrocities and engaged in warfare etc). I should warn you. It's a *very* long list, stretching across thousands of years, and *very* little of it was white..

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2021 1:59 PM

[quote]The woke scolds screech

Shut up, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2021 2:01 PM

[quote]She revels in calling a person a " Chink," then she can be called a "Kike cunt."

R30 "Revels" is simply your bigoted interpretation/justification for spewing anti-Jewish slurs. Ya dumb FAGGOT NIGGER!!

by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2021 2:31 PM

I like Silverman usually, but telling someone of a race they shouldn't be offended by her using a derogatory term for his race is just the HEIGHT of white privilege.

"I, as a white woman, am here to teach YOU about how YOU should respond to MY thoughtful words."

Seriously. Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2021 2:42 PM

She's such a horrible person.

I first saw & liked her on the 2 part Star Trek Voyager arc.

I later read that they briefly considered her for a cast replacement before settling on Ryan.

Dodged a bullet there STV.

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2021 2:46 PM

R25 Bill Maher isn't Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 49October 12, 2021 3:01 PM

The height of her self-importance is when Aoki says something about satire (4:15 or so) and she goes "You're going to tell me how to do satire?".

Then Anne-Marie asks her "you're going to tell us about racial education?" and Sarah replies "I'm trying to".

by Anonymousreply 50October 12, 2021 3:11 PM

Next time I see her at Swinger's diner on Beverly, I'll get in her face and yell at her about this. I fucking hate her.

by Anonymousreply 51October 12, 2021 3:11 PM

She dated Jimmy Kimmel, who on his show laughed about killing all Chinese people.

by Anonymousreply 52October 12, 2021 3:15 PM

R44 No. What empires and dynasties compare to white people? What empires and dynasties traveled across the world to slaughter and colonize? White people are from one continent and yet they’ve dominated what, 5 out of 7 of the continents on Earth? Slaughtered and colonized on every inhabitable continent on Earth, what other race did that?

by Anonymousreply 53October 12, 2021 3:22 PM

[quote]What empires and dynasties traveled across the world to slaughter and colonize?

Muslims. Conquered much of Africa and Asia before White folk knew either continent existed.

by Anonymousreply 54October 12, 2021 3:27 PM

How ironic - Datalounge, the 4chan for old gay men, finger-wagging about a comedian's jokes. Look in the mirror, ladies.

by Anonymousreply 55October 12, 2021 3:38 PM

WTF is with these comedians who whine about not being able to use racist terms in their acts? They're basically saying they can't be as funny if they can't be racist. Billy Crystal recently complained about this when he called the current state of comedy a minefield, and he was quickly and rightfully skewered for it. If you can't find anything else to write or talk about that doesn't involve making fun of non-white cultures and races, perhaps you're not as gifted a comedian as you think you are.

by Anonymousreply 56October 12, 2021 3:39 PM

You must've had a very limited education, R53..

by Anonymousreply 57October 12, 2021 3:42 PM

I had completely forgotten about this. I find the joke funny and I get the context. She's not calling someone a Chink as a racial slur. She's using a racial slur to get out of Jury Duty. She could've used any slur in that joke but chink was the softest. I guarantee when she originally wrote that joke, it probably had the N-word and she changed it to clear network censors.

I don't think she would've gotten the backlash that she did if that political activist didn't take umbrage with it. That guy really rallied the troops against her using the mainstream media and he wouldn't stop. That took a lot of work back then. Now, keep in mind the internet was still emerging. She was getting cancelled via the mainstream media, but they couldn't show the clip so they couldn't show the context. There was no video on the internet in 2001, so most people couldn't see what all the hubbub was about and could only read the quote without tone or comedic delivery.

Sarah came up within the era of Standup Comics adopting "Characters" and they delivered their jokes from the point of view of those "Characters". (ie Rosanne Barr, Judy Tenuta, Kineson, Bobcat Goldthwaite, Emo Philips, etc) Her "character" was a "dumb pretty girl" who says ignorant things and doesn't realize what she's saying. She got in hot water for a joke about being raped, too.

Standup comedy is hallowed ground where there are no rules-- unless you want to set them for yourself (clean comics) -- but the fun of seeing standup is watching someone cross the line and successfully take the audience with them! If you don't have a sense of humor, stay out of comedy clubs.

by Anonymousreply 58October 12, 2021 4:34 PM

“Standup comedy is hallowed ground where there are no rules”

Horseshit. There is nothing special or sacred about standup comedy.

More horseshit: comedians who claim that they are spotlighting the dangers of racism by being racist.

by Anonymousreply 59October 12, 2021 5:04 PM

I used to work with Guy Aoki. Nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 60October 12, 2021 5:10 PM

r59 Never step foot in a Comedy Club. Or say that to a Standup Comic. They will eviscerate you.

by Anonymousreply 61October 12, 2021 5:16 PM

Comedy is so hard now that we can't be racist!!

by Anonymousreply 62October 12, 2021 5:21 PM

"[R30] "Revels" is simply your bigoted interpretation/justification for spewing anti-Jewish slurs. Ya dumb FAGGOT NIGGER!!"

Didn't know that Sarah Silverman posted on DL. I mean, this was hysterical and so witty that it couldn't be Sarah.

by Anonymousreply 63October 12, 2021 6:54 PM

[quote] She’s always been a horrible person.

Agree.

by Anonymousreply 64October 12, 2021 7:58 PM

She’s so utterly full of shit. Mow she’s complaining about non-jews playing Jewish characters? Please! Shes got years to go before she can complain about HER oppression.

by Anonymousreply 65October 12, 2021 8:09 PM

[quote] SILVERMAN Listen, obviously, I agree, and I partake — as so many Jewish comedians do — in this self-deprecation that is Judaism. But as “a false way to claim outsider status” is the actual problem with this gas in the air that is anti-Semitism, especially on, I hate to say it, the left. It’s assuming that Jews are not to be worried about and do not merit allyship. Racism is defined by racists, not liberals, and they don’t like Jews. So, when people say Jews are white, I’m as white as you can be, but if you ask a white person, they’ll disagree.

She’s clearly been engaging with David Baddiel, who is mightily annoyed that it’s socially acceptable for black people to complain about racism more than Jews, because almost all Jews “pass” as white.

[quote] SILVERMAN [Reading from the review] “Like many … Jewish comedians, Silverman falls back on her ethnic identity as a way of claiming ready-made outsider status.” Would you say that today, or would you ever say that about any other minority?

And this is SUCH bullshit. Of course there are points that a critic can make about how an artist leans into their ethnicity. All minorities are not the same. Their humour, food, culture and the way they are viewed and implicitly and explicitly treated by Middle America differ. So there is not reason why Scott would not have made that point.

by Anonymousreply 66October 12, 2021 8:26 PM

Hi Sarah!

I had you autograph your "Jesus" DVD at the Santa Monica/La Brea Target for a friend in 2006. She had been so proud, for months, to have been in the top 6 friends of the "How's Your News" MySpace page, until you friended them and she was violently PUSHED off of their front page top 6. She was devastated. You signed something like "Sorry I got you kicked off of the How's Your News top 6 friends!"

I don't watch much stand-up, but I enjoyed The Sarah Silverman Show when it was on.

by Anonymousreply 67October 12, 2021 9:09 PM

^ Hi, Sarah's mom!

by Anonymousreply 68October 12, 2021 10:20 PM

This is pretty funny coming from a bunch of men always talking about fat women. fat shaming is Ok apparently. such hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 69October 12, 2021 10:33 PM

R57 Limited education is downplaying historical white carnage.

And the Muslims don’t compare to European colonization whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 70October 12, 2021 10:50 PM

R69 What does fat shaming have to do with racism?

You can lose weight, not your skin color or ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 71October 12, 2021 10:52 PM

So she uttered one word at 2.17 in the clip.

I got out of jury duty by telling the judge that I would be prejudiced towards an Irishman because I believe the majority of Irish are hothead drunks.

by Anonymousreply 72October 12, 2021 11:22 PM

Exactly, R72. She did that and all on her own. So she owns the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 73October 12, 2021 11:25 PM

This woman uttered the same one-syllable word that Rosie O'Donnell uttered.

by Anonymousreply 74October 12, 2021 11:27 PM

R12, freepers like you who bitch about woke people and cancel culture canceled Colin Kaepernick and the Dixie Chicks

by Anonymousreply 75October 12, 2021 11:28 PM

Silverman is a huge hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 76October 12, 2021 11:30 PM

I don't know her.

She looks like a younger Claire Blum.

by Anonymousreply 77October 12, 2021 11:32 PM

R77. Bloom, you idiot. And that’s an insult to the ex-Mrs. Roth

by Anonymousreply 78October 12, 2021 11:34 PM

We've made some progress, but perhaps not all that much. The OP discussion could have been happening today--not just 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 79October 12, 2021 11:35 PM

R78 Claire assuming a fake surname and marrying the horrendous, egomaniacal Roth was an insult to the Blum family.

by Anonymousreply 80October 12, 2021 11:39 PM

R69

Hi Chrissy! Welcome back!

And just FYI? We call each other "FAT WHORES" every day on this dumb site! It's a pretty safe bet that the dudes I'm berating, through my keyboard, are obese cows! So, don't take it personally. It's entertainment. If you don't like it, take your fat ass and exit stage right!

by Anonymousreply 81October 12, 2021 11:40 PM

But Jew face!!!!

by Anonymousreply 82October 12, 2021 11:55 PM

Rr49, Bill Maher is half Jewish. He is on on tv because he’s in the tribe.

There’s no other reason for this ugly smug pos to be on tv. He’s a JEW.

by Anonymousreply 83October 13, 2021 11:48 AM

David Spade was cute back then. He always pinged to me. Will admit I had a little crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 84October 13, 2021 12:15 PM

^I never missed an episode of Just Shoot Me.

by Anonymousreply 85October 13, 2021 1:28 PM

R83 Read this slowly. Bill Maher was raised a Roman Catholic. He is currently an atheist. He is not a Jew.

by Anonymousreply 86October 14, 2021 2:45 AM

Unfunny. Fucking her way into the business is the only explanation.

by Anonymousreply 87October 14, 2021 3:12 AM

R86, Most Jews in Hollywood are not not religious but that doesn’t change the fact they are very tribal. Bill Maher is in the tribe.

Read THAT slowly.

by Anonymousreply 88October 14, 2021 1:20 PM

R88 I agree.

by Anonymousreply 89October 14, 2021 2:38 PM

Maher's been given so many second chances & free passes over the years with the things that he has said & done that would've been the kiss of death to someone else. He has the Jewish force field of protection going on. I'm no Kathy G. fan but if Bill had done that stunt I think he would've remained largely unscathed. A forced apology might've been made but he could've laughed it off to host another day.

by Anonymousreply 90October 14, 2021 2:41 PM

Bill Maher - another attempt to obfuscate the real topic which is the racist, unamusing Silverman.

by Anonymousreply 91October 14, 2021 7:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!