Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lebanon's electricity grid is DEAD to me!

Remember when Beirut was thought of as the Paris of the Middle East?

Heads up, Texas! Winter is coming!

---

Lebanon's electricity network collapsed on Saturday after the two most important power stations ran out of fuel, leaving private generators as the only source of power.

The state-owned electricity company has been providing citizens with just a few hours of power a day for months, but the total collapse of the national grid will compound the misery of those who can’t afford to run generators and had relied on those few hours.

The outage marks the latest milestone in the unraveling of Lebanon, which is undergoing what the World Bank has described as one of the world’s three biggest financial collapses of the past 150 years.

The banking system was the first to implode in 2019, triggering a 90 percent slide in the value of the currency that has left the government unable to afford fuel, food and medicine imports while plunging millions of Lebanese into poverty.

The electricity grid ground to a halt after the country’s two main power stations, Deir Ammar and Zahrani, ran out of diesel fuel, leaving the nationwide network without the minimum amount of power required to sustain it, said Energy Minister Walid Fayyad.

The government is working to secure emergency fuel supplies from other sources, including the army, to bridge the shortfall until a shipment of Iraqi oil due to arrive Saturday night can be offloaded and distributed into the network. At most, he said, the total outage can be expected to last only a couple of days, and he hoped to find a stopgap solution faster.

But the collapse is a reminder of the dire state of Lebanon’s electricity sector, which has been unable to provide 24-hour power for decades. In recent months, its capacity has been further eroded by the lack of money and by corruption, with smugglers diverting state purchases of fuel to sell at a profit in neighboring Syria.

A recent deal struck with Iraq to supply 80,000 tons of fuel a month still falls short of the minimum amount required to ensure a stable grid and at most will be able to keep the power on for about four hours a day, Fayyad said.

Fayyad said Lebanon’s best hope of securing electricity lies in a proposal backed by the United States to import gas from Egypt and electricity from Jordan via Syria with funding from the World Bank. But that could take several months to put in place, and in the meantime, Lebanese can still expect to receive very limited supplies of electricity.

Lebanon will need a lot of goodwill from the world for the gas deal to come through, including funding and an agreement from the United States to waive sanctions on Syria so that the gas can reach Lebanon, Fayyad said.

But if it works, the gas supply will prove cheaper and more efficient than the current system, which relies on pricey fuel imports, enabling a big improvement, he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2021 6:05 AM

It was the "Paris of the Middle East" only when France controlled the country and Christians made a sizeable chunk of the population. As Islam has increased its stranglehold, civilization and standards of living has collapsed in Lebanon. Another muslim shit hole.

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote] in Lebanon. Another muslim shit hole.

And they're exporting it to Australia. This two families are feuding and have killed off of about ten of each.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2021 1:01 AM

Lebanon is the shittiest shithole that ever shitholed. No wonder the most corrupt Lebanese people have taken their ill-gotten gains and fled.

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2021 1:11 AM

The U.S. benefited from earlier Lebanese immigration, e.g., Ralph Nader and Michael DeBakey. Their families left when it was still part of the Ottoman Empire.

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2021 1:15 AM

Shame about the financial collapse. Now all those young Lebanese men will have to become male whores to survive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2021 1:19 AM

Not quite, R1, it was the Paris of the Middle East into the 70s until the bombings started then. The French left in... 1943 I believe? Beirut was the last of the multicultral cities of the Mediterranean established under the Ottoman Empire to survive in that form (others including Alexandria, Smyrna and Salonica).

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2021 1:38 AM

The same thing has taken it down that takes down a lot of countries - corruption. That's part of the reasons the (mostly male) Afghans didn't care so much that the US left, they thought the Taliban would stop all that shit.

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2021 10:44 PM

[bold]Fire at Lebanon's Zahrani oil facility contained[/bold]

A large fire that broke out in one of the tanks containing benzene at the Al-Zahrani oil facility in southern Lebanon on Monday has been brought under control, according to Lebanon's National News Agency (NNA).

The cause of the fire is as of yet unknown. Firefighters are working to extinguish the blaze and prevent it from spreading to additional tanks.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 2:08 AM

Who wins from the continued chaos in Lebanon?

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 2:09 AM

so sad. This used to be the land of the Phoenicians who were so interesting.

I wish Lebanon could get its shit together on multiple fronts. I'd love to visit the ancient Phoenician ruins

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 2:12 AM

[quote]I wish Lebanon could get its shit together on multiple fronts. I'd love to visit the ancient Phoenician ruins

I totally get this. There are some places I think like that about too. Lebanon is certainly one. So is Iran.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2021 6:52 AM

[quote]Who wins from the continued chaos in Lebanon?

Considering that Lebanon has been chaotic from the get-go, that neither a 15-year civil war nor occupation by Syria for almost 30 years did anything to mitigate the chaos, the Lebanese are the "winners". And Iran, under whose rule Lebanon has been since 2008 via Hezbullah's Hasan Nasrallah.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2021 7:05 AM

[quote]This two families are feuding and have killed off of about ten of each.

Assassination is the way it's done in Lebanon, how the 18 confessions keep each other in line. Just about every confession has had one or more of its leaders assassinated, from the Druze Kamal Jumblatt to Maronite Xtian/Kataeb Bashir Gemayal to the latest, Sunni Rafik Hariri. No one ever "claims responsibility" because everyone knows who did it.

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2021 7:20 AM

Bye Phoenicia!

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2021 5:53 AM

*snicker*

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2021 6:20 AM

R13 No one ever "claims responsibility" because everyone knows who did it.

The police know the two feuding families are killing each other off. And they stand aside. They just don't want ordinary citizens killed in any crossfire.

Everyone in their suburb want them to kill each other off because they contribute NOTHING to society.

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2021 6:56 AM

I have a friend in the UK who is literally obsessed with Lebanon. He goes there multiple times a year for holiday and spends months at a time there. He likes to hang by the beach and hook up with all these hot Arab men. He's going to be crushed, unless it's been like this for some time. I imagine it's a relatively cheap place to visit and they are supposed to have really good night life.

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2021 7:15 AM

R17 how does he hook up with so many guys without getting caught? While Lebanon is more moderate than most middle eastern countries, it still is quite homophobic. The police there even have a routine of "anal examinations" if they suspect they catch 2 guys together

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2021 7:26 AM

What are they hoping to find with the examinations? 🤔

by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2021 7:30 AM

R19 if the guy being examined has what they consider a tight hole, the defense of "we weren't doing anything gay" will be accepted. If the police think the guy's hole shows evidence of being penetrated, he'll be arrested

it's done in some other countries too

by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2021 7:41 AM

I'm Lebanese (currently working/living in Australia) and it's not nearly as backwards as Datalounge would have you believe lol. I was an out gay man in Beirut and it was fine. Could hold my boyfriend's hand and walk around Achrafieh, kiss in a restaurant. Obviously you can't like... fist each other in the street, but it's largely accepted and Arab men are so flamboyant and peacocking that you barely stand out anyway. There are gay hangout spots (cafés, bars, etc.) too. A huge scene of young progressive youth as well, who are very politically-minded. You think with all that nightlife it's straights-only? As if.

What is happening right now is a huge shame, even though we've gotten used to living with sporadic electricity (and generators if you're rich). Mostly a result of decades of corrupt government (especially Aoun), and attacks from the US-backed Israeli forces (I notice in all this fuel talk nobody mentioned how Israel bombed the oil rigs in Lebanon, causing the largest ever oil spill into the Mediterranean sea). The reason Lebanon is in such a shitty state right now is because (a) it has been managed by greedy elites, and (b) they spend your tax dollars murdering Palestinian (and Syrian) kids and we just happen to be the country next door to both who cops a lot of heat by proxy.

Sometimes the problem *ISN'T* big bad Islam, as much as you all want it to be.

by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2021 7:54 AM

Thanks R21! It is great to hear from someone actually from there. And don't worry, posters on here say ridiculous things about, and make up horror stories about my country too, and it just shows how many people here pontificate on many subjects they know nothing about.

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2021 8:14 AM

I knew it someone will eventually blame Israel for this .

by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2021 8:28 AM

I do remember that oil spill and R23 is trying to deflect. Israel is to be blamed for most of the misery in the area.

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2021 8:31 AM

R22 this is not made up

Despite the strides made in the revolution for LGBT rights’ acceptance in society, LGBT people will continue to live on the margins unless the Lebanese government repeals article 534 of the penal code, which punishes same-sex relations, Human Rights Watch said. The government needs to introduce legislation that protects LGBT people from discrimination and upholds their fundamental rights to dignity, bodily autonomy, socioeconomic mobility, and freedoms of expression, association, and assembly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 13, 2021 8:55 AM

Eh, R25, the other day people were saying my country was in the grip of a civil war on here. That's the kind of ridiculous thing I'm talking about.

by Anonymousreply 26October 13, 2021 8:57 AM

R26 and that has nothing to do with this thread

by Anonymousreply 27October 13, 2021 9:04 AM

Like all Lebanese people who claim Lebanon isn't as bad as people think, R21 got the hell out of there as soon as he could.

by Anonymousreply 28October 13, 2021 9:24 AM

Its because of the Iranian funded Shias who have a total grip on the politics of the country. That's why the government is corrupt and people remain powerless.

by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2021 9:27 AM

[quote]nobody mentioned how Israel bombed the oil rigs in Lebanon, causing the largest ever oil spill into the Mediterranean sea).

[quote]Israel is to be blamed for most of the misery in the area.

[quote] I knew it someone will eventually blame Israel for this .

And R21 and R24 step right up to do like the lying scum they are.

The oil spill was not the result of "Israeli bombing", but rather from a leaking oil tanker in the Eastern Mediterranean. The spill spread along the coast of Israel and Lebanon, causing an ecological nightmare in both countries.

[quote] Sometimes the problem *ISN'T* big bad Islam, as much as you all want it to be.

Yes it is. The problem is most definitely big bad Islam. Every single skirmish, war, and conflict in the region is a lethal mix of Islam, tribalism, corruption and overpopulation.

And don't hold your breath for gay rights in Lebanon. Not with Iran/Hezbullah ruling the country.

by Anonymousreply 30October 13, 2021 9:32 AM

[quote]What are they hoping to find with the examinations?

JIMMY HOFFA, ROSE!

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2021 9:43 AM

Yeah, if it's so great why does every Lebanese person with the means get the fuck out as soon as they can? Canada is full of Lebanese fleeing that shit hole....hundreds of thousands of them here now. They can't move to Western English speaking countries fast enough. Reminds me of Mexico..."a great country" according to every Mexican I meet in Canada, but fuck no would they live there again.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2021 12:42 AM

So many Lebanese-American dudes on the DL.... if a guy tells me he has Lebanese background I already know what's up. They are usually fine too!

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2021 12:50 AM

Not Lesbos, Blanche, Lebanon.

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2021 2:17 PM

R21 it's systemic corruption that seems to be the primary issue, I notice how you don't seem to take ownership of that although you get what you voted for. Corruption comes from the people and the culture, not from "US-backed Israelis" who get blamed for everything in the Middle East (along with the US).

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2021 2:37 PM

R31 if it was obvious I wouldn't have asked!

by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2021 2:42 PM

[quote]Hezbollah is frustrated with the Port Beirut explosion investigation and with losing all that ammonium nitrate it killed Syrians with. It feels the need the remind Lebanese that their country is an Iranian province. It’s worried they might have forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2021 3:17 PM

remember a few years ago when Saudi Arabia held Lebanon's Prime Minister hostage? lol

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2021 6:20 PM

craziness in Beirut right now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2021 6:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!