Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

One Of Us Is Lying - new teen drama on Peacock

Omg this is sooooooo good so far. They’re only 3 episodes in so far and it’s terrific. A lot of fun but dark.

The plot…

“A brain, an athlete, a princess, a criminal, and a "basket case" walk into detention - but only the first four make it out alive.”

The show is trying to figure out who killed Simon by poisoning him.

Give it a watch. It’s weekly on Peacock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 17, 2022 6:56 PM

The audiobook is fantastic. Each character has his or her own voice narrator.

I hope the show sticks with the original ending. For example the TV show adaption of Finding Jacob changes the ending of the novel and it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2021 12:24 AM

Ups, sorry. the other show is called Defending Jacob (not Finding Jacob).

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2021 12:25 AM

The Defending Jacob ending did suck

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2021 12:28 AM

Anyways, check it out. It’s actually good.

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2021 12:33 AM

So it’s the Breakfast Club meets what…

How is this good????

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2021 12:50 AM

R5 meets a murder mystery.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2021 12:53 AM

Hollywood isn’t even trying anymore.

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2021 12:55 AM

This is based off a book r7.

I wonder if they do a second season if they will base it off the books sequel or do their own thing.

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2021 12:55 AM

I have a Peacock original:

RISKY TRANS

Joel hooks up with black trans prostitute who came to his house first instead of Lana.

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2021 12:57 AM

It’s a rip off.

by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2021 12:58 AM

The closeted baseball jock is cute. Too bad they’ve paired him with a fug.

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2021 8:56 PM

[quote] One Of Us Is Lying

In her lonely bed

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2021 9:00 PM

Staring at the ceiling…

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2021 9:17 PM

OP, why are you watching a teen drama? Is adult media too challenging?

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2021 9:27 PM

R14 it’s enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2021 9:57 PM

Even murder can't make yet another Breakfast Club remake interesting.

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2021 11:55 PM

There is only one scene in detention. The show is not Breakfast Club.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2021 12:00 AM

Not to be outdone, Netflix is prepping a dark St. Elmo's Fire meets I Know What You Did Last Summer with Lori Loughlin as a college admissions director who ends up dead after 7 seniors find out they're not graduating just days before commencement.

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2021 12:07 AM

Binged it up to ep 6. The murder mystery plot is okay, but they really cast some low rent unknown actors in this one and not all of them are up to the task. The only interest to DL is probably that Nate the drug dealer gets shirtless every once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2021 8:44 PM

How many of these teen shows cast well known? Riverdale, 13 Reasons Why etc. didn’t cast known young actors. They became known after the shows took off r19

Stupid thing to criticize it on.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2021 9:21 PM

R20 Riverdale and 13 Reasons Why had actors like Cole Sprouse, Dylan Minnette, Miles Heizer who already gained some name recognition from other gigs. This show has Marianly Tejada, Cooper van Grootel, Chibuikem Uche and Annalisa Cochrane as the four leads... names that no one would recognize. The bigger problem is that they aren't very good actors.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2021 1:11 AM

I Know What You Did Last Summer is another new one built with only unknowns.

Lmaoooooo you think people knew them as household names before those shows? The Sprouse kid maybe, but that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2021 1:14 AM

I just started watching and I love it. It's fun mindless teen show candy. I'm surprised that you guys are more excited by the gay story.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2021 1:16 AM

It’s a fun show.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2021 1:25 AM

Very early on, Chase Stokes from Netflix's Outer Banks was cast as one of the leads (I presume the drug dealing guy played by Cooper van Grootel). But Outer Banks became such a big hit and One of US Is Lying was still in its early stages, plus the pandemic fucked with filming schedules. Guess he bailed.

Barrett Carnahan (Jake) was in Cruel Summer as the hot older brother of the girl who was accused of not helping the kidnapped girl. And some minor role in Cobra Kai.

Mark McKenna (Simon, the murder victim) was in Sing Street, Overlord and the lead in a show on Amazon Prime (previously RedTube?) called Wayne.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2021 4:21 AM

The last two episodes are actually pretty good and pays off with the revelation for the murder mystery.

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2021 9:45 AM

R26 I’m watching episode 6 and I’m loving it. It’s a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2021 8:50 PM

They really could have cast someone better for the blonde beauty. This chick isn’t even cute, yet I’m supposed to believe she’s this top HBIC beautiful babe.

by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2021 9:25 PM

R28 She looked better with long hair in the beginning. But in the end, she's only supposed to be high school beautiful/desirable... which doesn't amount to much in the world.

by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2021 9:30 PM

R29 she’s not even that though. The girl she’s beefing with at the dance is actually attractive, but this chick was the desired chick? Please.

by Anonymousreply 30October 22, 2021 9:32 PM

R30 She was desirable because she was submissive to Jake, her jock bf.

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2021 9:39 PM

Jake is so hot

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2021 10:06 PM

The black guy did it

by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2021 10:12 PM

R32 In the final two episodes, he did come off as tragic hot psycho bf. Both Barrett Carnahan (Jake) and Mark McKenna (Simon) gave (better than I expected) nuanced performances in those episodes.

by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2021 10:12 PM

R33 He wasn't black in the book...

by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2021 10:13 PM

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 36October 22, 2021 10:16 PM

There's a bit of latent homoeroticism to the Jake/Simon relationship. Jake "dumped" Simon as he turned into a macho jock poser, while Simon still had a soft spot for the "old" Jake or else he would not have fallen into Jake's manipulative trap.

by Anonymousreply 37October 22, 2021 10:32 PM

R37 ummm that’s not gay. That’s Simon feeling he was ditched by his bestie the minute his bestie became popular.

by Anonymousreply 38October 22, 2021 10:39 PM

R38 But then why put his life in the hand of the person who betrayed him? Is "I dare you" their safe word?

by Anonymousreply 39October 22, 2021 10:46 PM

Because Simon wants to fit in with the popular jock who was his former bestie

by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2021 11:05 PM

R40 Simon is anti-establishment loner who definitely doesn't want to fit in. He wants his old Jake back all to himself even just for this one last prank. He gambled his life on it and lost.

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2021 1:27 AM

Did anyone watch the season finale? Very good.

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2021 2:57 PM

R42 yes. It was very good

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2021 3:28 PM

Pee cock hehehe

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2021 3:41 PM

I just watched the first episode, and the only thing that sticks in my mind is - Simon’s not dead.

by Anonymousreply 45November 8, 2021 11:52 AM

Spoiler from the show and from the book.

Just binge watched the season and overall I like it. However I listened to the audiobook first, and I must admit I am a bit disappointed. In the book, the outing of Connor is a much bigger issue. And in the book he isn't honest with his beard from the start. It all unravels (coming clean with his beard and her being hurt and angry about it) when the original blog post about his secret gets posted. There's also a big moment with the grandmother, we see in the first episode of the show but never again, who shows her support for her grandson (she apparently knew all along that he's gay). Also in the book, Simon does commit suicide to frame the gang and explains it as his idea of an epic "school shooting" people will remember him for (it also explains that he admits to a suicide in a post that is supposed to go online one year after his death). The show also expands Simon's female BFF character, who - in the book - is just a basic fangirl doing whatever Simon told her to do.

Despite the changes, I really like what the show did with the source material. And it came up with a nice murder plot, giving Jake (Barrett Carnahan) and Simon (Mark McKenna) some good scenes together.

I think Simon just wanted his old friend back (going along with the dare like they were childhood friends again) who abandoned him for becoming a jock, a group which - when still young - both made fun of. He didn't realize how much of a sociopath Jake has become (even after he physically attacked him to find out about what Simon and Addy talked about). In the last episode there is this little moment when Jake puts Simon's own EpiPen in his backpack where I got the sense Jake wanted to call the whole thing off, but when Simon called him dumbass he changed his mind.

by Anonymousreply 46November 8, 2021 12:16 PM

Renewed for season 2 on Peacock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 15, 2022 2:18 PM

If this is a teen drama, why are all the actors in their 30s?

by Anonymousreply 48January 15, 2022 2:22 PM

Second season is here!

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2022 3:31 PM

R49 I didn’t know there was gonna be another one. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 50October 21, 2022 4:02 PM

Thanks R49!

I never finished the second book, but will watch S2.

by Anonymousreply 51October 21, 2022 4:57 PM

This season is pretty good. The plot is ridiculous even more so than the first season, but the unraveling of the mystery is suspenseful and keeps you coming back for the next episode. It's kind of remind of "How To Get Away With Murder" but with high school kids.... sort of, since some of them look way past their teen years!

by Anonymousreply 52October 22, 2022 2:08 PM

Season 2 was released today. Gay Cooper is back!

by Anonymousreply 53November 16, 2022 11:05 AM

R53 I mean released on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 54November 16, 2022 11:06 AM

R54 Didn't know it will also be on Netflix. The show seems more fitting for Netlfix than Peacock anyways.

by Anonymousreply 55November 16, 2022 8:51 PM

Season 2 sucked ass. Cooper had very little screen time and Kris had even less, he was basically MIA until the last 3 episodes or so. The dykes got plenty of screen time though, of course. They got to kiss plenty, unlike the gays who got like two pecks. Last season was much better.

by Anonymousreply 56November 17, 2022 5:58 PM

R56 No one except for a few like you are streaming this for Cooper and Kris. They are just token characters who don't amount to much.

by Anonymousreply 57November 17, 2022 6:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!