Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jan. 6 committee to 'swiftly consider' criminal contempt for Steve Bannon, others who ignore subpoenas

[quote] The House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot will "swiftly consider" holding one-time Trump White House adviser Steve Bannon, and potentially others, in contempt of Congress for ignoring committee subpoenas, committee chairman Bennie Thompson vice-chair Liz Cheney said Friday.

[quote] The move came after Bannon formally advised the committee that he would be unable to comply with their requests, citing former President Donald Trump's intention to invoke executive privilege. In a letter obtained by ABC News, Bannon's lawyers said that until the matter is settled in court, they will not comply with the committee's subpoena.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 30, 2021 4:04 PM

Enough of this "swiftly consider" bullshit. That's like saying, "You just wait 'til your father gets home, young man!"

Arrest this mutherfucker now.

by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2021 5:29 PM

I've been waiting a long time to see this fat, ill-dressed sociopath behind bars.

I can wait a bit longer if I must.

by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2021 5:33 PM

Can a "former" President even declare "executive privilege" ?

(Oh, I forgot: In his mind he's still president, right?)

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2021 5:38 PM

R3 No, he cannot. And Biden has already said "fuck that shit" to Trump's claims of executive privilege.

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2021 5:39 PM

Wake me when the human scabs head is on a pike.

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2021 5:52 PM

I agreed with Elie Mystal, who said on MSNBC that the Feds should have been on Bannon's doorstep at 12:01am yesterday with an arrest warrant.

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2021 6:55 PM

If there was ever a crying out for the "sure, Jan" gif, this is IT!

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2021 8:17 PM

The subpoenas for their appearances are dated Oct. 15. If they are arrested before then it could create a real legal shitstorm.

And I think "swiftly consider" was put that way so they can't claim they were threatened. You know what crybabies republiqans are - and the courts cannot always be trusted when they go crying to them to try to evade being subpoenaed. .

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2021 8:24 PM

Is Trumpet’s team considering if executive privilege applies to acts, etc., that occurred while Trump was president? I thought I heard the ladies on The View clucking about it, but wasn’t paying attention. I thought Sunny said, no, it doesn’t work that way, and then a bunch of other stuff that didn’t make sense.

by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2021 8:29 PM

Although this is all due to an attempted coup of US democracy it appears Congress is reluctant to have those who don't comply with the subpoena requests arrested because they fear the Republicans may do the same thing to Democrats for unwarranted or fabricated reasons when they get into the majority.

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2021 8:33 PM

Yes, Trump CAN claim executive privilege. But executive privilege only applies to actions pertaining to the OFFICE of the president, and fomenting an insurrection certainly does NOT. However, it will end up in court. Trump will drag it out as long as possible like he always does with everything.

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2021 8:33 PM

R10 - like the Republicans need a reason for anything they do.

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2021 8:35 PM

If republiqans get back in power they are going to arrest and round up every Democrat they can whether Democrats coddle Bannon et al. or not. The 1/6 committee would be insane to not realize that.

by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2021 8:36 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2021 7:41 AM

Arrest Bannon and throw him in jail.

by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2021 7:44 AM

This attempt to rebrand the Capitol riot as some 9/11 date that will live in infamy is so cringe.

dO yOu rEmEmbEr wHeRe yOu wErE oN 1/6? Probably doing the same thing I was during the riots over the previous 180 days.

by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2021 8:48 AM

Yeah, yeah...I'll see it when I believe it.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2021 9:17 AM

R16 Well, you're gonna be cringing for the rest of your life because it WILL go down in infamy. Also? Please kill yourself for the way your post is typed.

by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2021 9:20 AM

[quote]I've been waiting a long time to see this fat, ill-dressed sociopath behind bars.

Says every pre-school child who has seen Bannon furtively zipping his pants as he walks away from the playground fence.

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2021 9:21 AM

Then call it the Capitol Riots, Mary at R28. 9/11 was a large scale coordinated attack on numerous parts of the country at the same time. There were a body count in the thousands. The only way to succinctly describe what happened was by referencing the day.

This was the storming of a Capitol by one angry mob. There were less than a dozen killed. It was awful, but not uncharacteristic of the time. It will go down in infamy, but it did not absolutely cripple of the soul of the nation the way 9/11 did. People were desensitized after months and months of riots. The only thing different about this one was the group these rioters voted for.

For people who don’t live at the extreme ends of the political spectrum — aka most people — it’s barely a footnote in a very shitty year.

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2021 1:30 AM

It was an attempted coup against the United States of America.

You bet your retarded, gaslighting fucking ass it's going to live in infamy.

Where was I on January sixth? The same place everyone else was, watching a bunch of dumb terrorist thugs invade and attack the United States Capitol. It's a revolting horror show I never thought I'd live to see whereas I had been expecting something like 9/11 for many years.

Live and learn. Next time you and your fat treasonous friends try that shit we'll Ashli Babbitt every goddamn one of you. Have a nice day.

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2021 4:37 AM

Watching this unfold, as the department of justice refuses to release information, is almost comedic.

The collectivist left has seriously overstepped, and the consequences will be catastrophic for anyone who still believes that Democrats represent anyone but the top 1%.

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2021 4:45 AM

R21

I am amazed at how retarded some posters are.

I hope being that stupid isn't physically painful.

Idiots like you are making Civil War inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2021 4:48 AM

R23, die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2021 4:51 AM

R21 is spot on. Looking at the insurrection as nothing more than a crazy "footnote" is a massive mistake, and a recipe for major disaster.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2021 8:09 AM

[quote]Idiots like you are making Civil War inevitable.

AHAHAHA Yeah, people like R21 are making a civil war inevitable--NOT the hillbillies who are actively participating, right? That’s some Gutfeld logic right there.

WOW. DL has really been invaded by Trumptards. It's been happening for a while now, but it's still surprising. I like how they can't wait until a political thread pops up so they can like each other's nonsensical posts.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2021 9:29 AM

Swiftly "consider"....wishy washy as usual. Please "consider"....then wimp out, like always.

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2021 1:05 PM

That's like Susan Collins being "concerned"...^^

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2021 1:05 PM

R25, it wouldn’t be a footnote if so many prominent members of the Left weren’t pointing at rioters and arsonists on a daily basis for the previous six months and calling them the voice of reason. The insurrection would’ve been much more prominently on the mind of the American public if the Left hadn’t made their feelings towards rioting and uncivil disobedience, with the current Democratic Vice President going so far as to promote bail funds for those incarcerated in the riots. January 6th was just another day in a long line of days of political extremists behaving violently and out of control.

The credibility of the Left in regards to rioting is shot. January 6th has absolutely no meaning except to those who believe violent chaos is acceptable depending on the letter after their name. The time for moral superiority is over when you’re covered in shit.

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2021 3:03 PM

R29 You.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2021 3:35 PM

The dems won't put anyone in jail as always, they will bend over and just take it up the ass.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2021 3:41 PM

Attempting to overthrow a government and attempting to overthrow a Target is not the same, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2021 3:42 PM

R29 False equivalence bullshit, and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2021 12:45 AM

Cringe? You want cringe? That evil, morbidly obese pig all but called for a civil war last night. What will LGBT rights be like in fascist state run by Trump and his crew?

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2021 12:58 AM

R34 Posters like R16 and his three other buddies don't give a flying FUCK about LGBT rights because they are hetero TROLLS.

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2021 11:42 AM

The Committee is better at splitting infinitives than kicking ass.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2021 12:33 PM

CNN reporter Jamie Gangel said on Thursday that the House Select Committee investigating the January 6th Capitol riots appears to be moving aggressively and could soon ensnare members of former President Donald Trump's family.

If [Trump] thinks he can get away with being cute with his press releases, he has another thing coming," Gangel predicted.

Host Wolf Blitzer pointed out that the committee has even left the door open to subpoenaing Trump himself, and Gangel replied that it could expand beyond the former president.

"I think it opens up the Trump family," she explained. "Remember, Ivanka Trump was with her father on January 6th. She was in and out of the Oval Office. I think that there are going to be a lot of people who are fair game who are very close to the former president."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2021 7:24 AM

I’ll believe it when I see it, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2021 12:41 PM

Just like other corrupt governments the US allows bad and even illegal behavior by their politicians because they have supporters and enablers. Trump is the epitome of not prosecuting elected officials for their crimes.

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2021 1:13 PM

Like others have stated above, I’ll believe it when I see it.

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2021 1:19 PM

R20, 9/11 didn’t “cripple the soul of the nation”. Except for NY and DC, the rest of us moved on quite nicely.

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2021 1:28 PM

R37, that's good to know but on the other hand, I hope they won't subpoena Trump or his kids if they're not also willing to throw them in jail when they don't show up. Take it to the max or don't bother.

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2021 7:58 PM

If I were a congressman who feared for his life and thought were going to die that day, yes I'd go to the max punishment. Id want Trump behind bars. .

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2021 11:01 PM

So what brand of champagne will you all be buying when the day comes?

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2021 11:23 PM

A magnum of Don Periggmon.

It’s the “Canal St. version” of Dom Perignon, but it’s just as tasty I think.

by Anonymousreply 45October 16, 2021 12:23 PM

R20 is bizarrely ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2021 12:51 PM

R22, Joe won by a margin of 7-8 million. STFU.

And the only "collectivist" element is that 1%, worshipped by Republicans [See: Tax Cuts, Trump’s], who are actively attempting to, quite literally, collect the money of the world in a return to Feudalism.

by Anonymousreply 47October 16, 2021 12:55 PM

Bannon, for instance, was last week referred to the justice department for prosecution after he defied his subpoena in its entirety, but a source at the US attorney’s office cautioned a decision on his case could take months of deliberations.

Huh? Hmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 29, 2021 2:35 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 30, 2021 3:00 PM

Swifty considers, WTF?!!! I think this tells us all we need to know on how the Democrats are working.

by Anonymousreply 50October 30, 2021 4:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!