Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tori Amos’ OCEAN TO OCEAN (10/29/01)

Tori Amos will release a new studio album called “Ocean to Ocean” on October 29, 2021 via Decca Records, the company announced Monday morning. Described as “an emotional record,” the new album has the pandemic and the attack on the Capitol as touchstones, leading to “a return to the kind of introspection she recognized from her 1992 debut album, ‘Little Earthquakes.’”

Amos says in the announcement, “This is a record about your losses, and how you cope with them. Thankfully when you’ve lived long enough, you can recognize you’re not feeling like the mom you want to be, the wife you want to be, the artist you want to be. I realized that to shift this, you have to write from the place where you are. I was in my own private hell, so I told myself, then that’s where you write from – you’ve done it before…

“We have all had moments that can knock us down,” she continued. “This record sits with you where you are, especially if you are in a place of loss. I am fascinated when someone has gone through a tragedy, and how they work through their grief. That is where the gold is. When somebody is actually at that place, thinking “I’m done”, how do you reach that person? Sometimes it’s not about a pill, or a double shot of tequila. It’s about sitting in the muck together. I’m going to meet you in the muck.”

Amos’ released her second book, “Resistance,” in 2019 and her staged her musical “The Light Princess.” Nearly 30 years ago, she became the first public voice for RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network), which is the United States’ largest anti-sexual assault organization, and continues to be member of its National Leadership Council.

[quote]In spite of the various crises that have occurred since 2017’s Native Invader, Tori Amos has emerged with Ocean to Ocean, her most personal work in years – an album bursting with warmth and connection, with deep roots in her earliest song writing.

[quote]Written during the 3rd Lockdown in Cornwall this year, Ocean to Ocean is a universal story of going to rock bottom and renewing yourself all over again.

[quote]For a record written within limited surroundings, two things are remarkable – its rich stylistic variation, from tango to wide-screen romance, and the big-heartedness of songs, which run almost like a series of love letters to family both present and absent. It is, in one sense, her most Cornish record yet: the artwork says it all, with Amos shot on the cliffs, and in the caves on the county’s south west shores.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 3, 2021 11:49 PM

I hate to be one of those guys, but I haven't liked anything she's released in YEARS. Somewhere along the way, she lost that fire in her belly that made her early albums of the 90s and very early 2000s so compelling.

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2021 8:24 AM

Though it’s not a style or sound I would have expected or asked for from her, something is drawing me to this song…

We’ll see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2021 8:27 AM

Did she hire the graphics department of Bed Bath & Beyond to create that cover?

Terrible all around. The typography to start.

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2021 8:44 AM

A strange yet intriguing song.

Color me ready for this album. The first two singles released from Native Invader (Cloud Riders and Up the Creek), which I grew to love, especially within the context of the album - her best in nearly two decades - tempered my enthusiasm and did not fully capture nor indicate the vast and intricate soundscapes she would go on to explore with that work.

The singles for Ocean to Ocean seem to hint at something deeper and more complex surrounding them. They seem to be like the crests of waves. I predict this album to be moodier and more gripping than Invader, with a churning, elemental quality.. This was written after her mother’s passing and during the pandemic. She also notes the attack on the Capitol…

This is gonna be good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2021 8:51 AM

European Tour 2022 Dates

She looks too fucking cute. I wish the pic would show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2021 8:56 AM

Bam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2021 8:57 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2021 9:07 AM

The vulnerability of her latest album is starkly comparable to her critically acclaimed and much-loved debut, 1992’s Little Earthquakes. Amos wrote the songs in quick succession between March and the start of summer, a speed which seems to have bottled her sadness like lightning. All the songs she’d written previously were shelved because she wasn’t being truthful with herself about how truly miserable she felt. She says she’d been collecting songs since her last album, 2017’s Native Invader, but her creativity came to a halt this past winter.

“Once we hit that third lockdown, it really affected me,” she says. “I was despondent. I did swimmingly well on the first one,” she laughs – she found solace with her husband, Mark, adult daughter Tash, and Tash’s boyfriend at home – but then everything fell apart. “The songs that had been percolating, they weren’t resonating. They weren’t the songs that were going to get me out of this place of, I don’t know, low energy,” she says.

Was it bordering on depression? “Yes,” she says. “I was on my knees emotionally. I don’t know if I took on the persona of a female grizzly bear, but I’m not quite sure,” she laughs. “I didn’t feel like super-mum anymore, or super-wife or super-anything. I just wasn’t feeling positive, and I think after that, I had to let everything [I’d previously written] go. Absolutely everything. “Metal Water Wood” was the first song I wrote that really started to pull me out of this place of sadness. It grabbed me and said: ‘Come on, you really have to be like water,’” she explains, by which she means she had to keep going.

“Metal Water Wood” is an album centrepiece, with Amos singing: You found me burning in despair / You said then, ‘I know, dear / It has been a brutal year’ over driving percussion and a defiant, sharp melody. At her lowest ebb, however, she unexpectedly found her way. “That’s when the songs started to come and say, OK, this is a place of power, even though you don’t feel strong. The truth is a place of power and so the songs can be the elixirs to pull you out of this place. There was something in admitting that you don’t feel like a cheerleader for everybody or that you’re able to lift everybody up that week, you just don’t have it in you; that was freeing, and it allowed me to be honest. Then the songs started to come.”

Another thing Amos had to admit to herself, she says, before those songs arrived, was that she needed time to come to terms with what had happened in America during the last election, especially the Capitol riots. Amos has been an outspoken critic of Donald Trump’s for years. She says the worry of him being re-elected caused another period of despondency, as did the resulting threat to democracy when the election votes were challenged. “Seeing what happened in the aftermath, the idea that we had elected people who were willing to question the vote of the people and to march us into authoritarianism – I think that was traumatising all of us even more than we already were,” she says.

by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2021 9:08 AM

After she processed the result, eventually, she says another anchor felt lifted. “I wasn’t feeling positive, although of course democracy was retained – thinly, but it was. But that needed to be celebrated. I think after that with the record I just had to let everything go. Absolutely everything.” She says creating from a place of honesty is all she knows. “When people say: ‘Fake it until you make it’, it’s just not going to work for me,” she laughs. “Do me a shot of tequila and let’s sit down and talk about how we’re really feeling.”

Amos has always been outspoken on a number of topics, but especially on feminism and women’s rights, both in the music industry and in wider society. In her recent book, Resistance, which was released back in August, she wrote about how she’s managed to create meaningful, politically resonant work against patriarchal power structures in the industry (she became the first national spokesperson for Rainn – the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network – back in 1994).

Amos herself is a survivor of sexual assault, and one song on her new album sees her looking back once more at the trauma it caused. In “29 Years”, Amos hauntingly sings: For 29 years I’ve been searching for you ... these victim tears a song from my past. It feels almost twinned with her debut single “Me and a Gun”, where she recounted her assault. A long period of reflection in lockdown could have resulted in the revisiting here, but so might Amos’s work with Rainn over lockdown. The number of people reaching out for help was at its highest ever level, she explains.

“The percentage of calls they have had in the last 18 months has skyrocketed,” Amos says, adding that many of the calls dealt with “underage” abuse at a time when children weren’t safeguarded as much because they weren’t at school. “This problem is endemic,” she says of sexual assault. “It is beyond anything we can grasp. And it hurt more with schools being closed on both sides of the Atlantic. Places where an abuse might get recognised by somebody – a teacher, a nurse, someone like that. Certain settings where it can be picked up on.”

She continues: “And to add to this tragedy, you have the law in Texas,” she says, referring to the state’s recent ban on abortions – including for pregnancies that have resulted from rape or incest. “Women’s rights should be protected all the time, in any circumstance, and yet people are OK to insist that a woman, or a child, give birth after rape or incest... a child or a woman!” she says, angrily. “It’s something that we have to deal with.”

by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2021 9:09 AM

She says she would like those making such laws to come to Rainn, to hear the cases she and the other professionals at the network hear daily. “The fact that anybody is tone-deaf to this… maybe they need to man the lines at Rainn. They’re not trained, so they wouldn’t be allowed – but maybe they are just so disconnected with what’s going on for women and the issues that are happening globally right now; with what’s happening to women in Afghanistan...”

In Resistance, Amos recalled the process of writing “Silent All These Years”, a song on her debut album that deals with the way women are suppressed by a patriarchal society. Songs on Ocean to Ocean allude to this, like the dreamy, string-led “Birthday Baby”, a tango that becomes an ode to solo empowerment. Sometimes in life, a girl must tango alone, she sings – the song was inspired by her niece in New York, who was crippled with loneliness during the pandemic. It seems also to recall her own time making music as a young woman, struggling to find her way in an industry that pits women against one another, or knocks them down when they take a new direction musically.

“I took a real battering on Boys for Pele,” she explains, referring to the critical reaction to her third album in which she experimented with a new stripped-down style. “That was 1995, and some people forgot it, but there were a lot of critics who did not because they just didn’t at the time. It has lived on to hold its own, and carve out its own place in my canon, but at the time the arrows were flying from all sides. The record company were pretty tough on me at the time.”

She says she empathises with artists like Billie Eilish, Lorde and Lizzo, who have received criticism recently for trying new musical directions or aesthetics. “I understand what those women are going through,” she says. “It takes a lot of courage for them to stand by their art and stand by their choices. Because, ultimately, you have to wake up with yourself. And people will blow hot and cold, because once you achieve a certain level of success, there are people who just want to tear you down. That’s what some people do,” she says, calling it “cultural sociopathy”.

Amos speaks from a place of thirty years’ experience when she thinks back to her time starting out in the Nineties. “When you’re on your first, second, third record, and you’re not quite established enough necessarily yet, you can be pitted against each other. People say, ‘You don’t need to compete with each other.’ But that’s not how the system is built. You have to look at the systemic toxic environment that it is. If you’re only having so many females at a festival, and you’re only having so many females on alternative radio, or country radio, then the industry itself has set up a place where there isn’t enough to go around. They have set up scarcity; they’ve set up this ‘survival of the fittest’ mentality, which is so destructive.”

by Anonymousreply 10October 8, 2021 9:09 AM

Amos says she hopes her recent book can help young artists navigating this in some way now. “And so that’s what I wanted [people] to take away from the book, is to understand how the system is created and that we as women have to find ways – as I said [on 2005 track “Barons of Suburbia”], I’m piecing a potion to combat your poison. And ‘your poison’, to me, is in tearing each other down. We have to find ways around it, but it’s bloody hard when you’re in an industry that doesn’t have equal opportunity.”

Soon, Amos is heading back to Cornwall, back to the ocean. Like so many over the last year, she has found that reconnecting with the natural world has been another big part of finding her way through the storm. “Nature was a huge part,” she says, of getting back her ability to write songs. “Seeing how nature copes with things, watching her and then realising what she copes with in a day, how she is still there for us...” It’s almost a metaphor for Amos herself, who has faced more challenges than most in becoming the artist she is today. And she’s still here, still weathering storms and reaching out to us all.

‘Ocean to Ocean’ is released on 29 October

by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2021 9:09 AM

Treacly. Feels so early 90s. Also sounds like she's trying to be more Kate Bush than Tori Amos.

SNL's Aidy Bryant should do a skit where she's TA, twirling in black cloaks and scaring the sunbathers.

by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2021 9:17 AM

R12 You treacly cunt…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 8, 2021 2:24 PM

Full version of "Spies".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2021 2:06 AM

She's no Tori Spelling.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2021 3:02 AM

This news made me moisten a finger and stick it straight up my cooter. I love Tori.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2021 3:33 AM

R16 😂🤣😂🤣😂

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2021 11:47 PM

I’m taken aback. It’s urgent, evocative, reflective, and uplifting without being trite or maudlin. It’s a galvanizing album. The band, strings, and production are aces.

I’ll write more later.

by Anonymousreply 18October 29, 2021 12:31 AM

Metal Water Wood is just…

Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 19October 29, 2021 12:51 AM

I love Tori Amos, but she looks like Reba McEntire in the pic of r6 and r7.

by Anonymousreply 20October 29, 2021 12:58 AM

i like her early work for Kelloggs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 29, 2021 12:59 AM

R20 She certainly did a number on herself at some point between 2004 and 2005, but her music, even during the nadir of her career (i.e., 2005-2009), has always been transcendent. I suppose the fact that she now wears some of her missteps on her face adds a brutal poignancy to her tunes.

(Besides, we’re all going to look like dried and run over shit at some point in our lives, dear. Let’s hope you survive that harsh reality as long as she has.)

Nevertheless, this album is striking in its distillation and transmutation of tragedy and despondency into something sanative and palpably resilient. I’m still taking it all in like some really good dick.

by Anonymousreply 22October 29, 2021 1:13 AM

r20, don't get me wrong. I love her music and I can't wait to get the album. It's just a shame that she can't accept the ravages of age. I'd still buy her album if she looked like an old crone walking with a cane through the countryside landscape.

by Anonymousreply 23October 29, 2021 1:16 AM

Sounds ready made to play during some convention hawking solar paneling led by some hippie run company. A song by Amos, a little meditation, and now the hard sell. Or maybe it will be played during some "Gaia" convention, their ads are hilarious. Honestly I lost interest in her work after Songs from the Choirgirl Hotel. The songs on there were poignant and gorgeous. This sounds...trite.

by Anonymousreply 24October 29, 2021 1:22 AM

R23 Ah, you’re a fan, I see. You are in for an experience. It’s quite stunning. Matt Chamberlain, Jon Evans, and John Philip Shenale contribute their typical brilliance while Mark “Mac Aladdin” Hawley (ugh) actually blends in beautifully. Her piano sounds and acts like the fulcrum upon which the whole production - which, again, is excellent - spins.

She sounds so… present.

by Anonymousreply 25October 29, 2021 1:23 AM

UNDER THE PINK was the first CD I ever bought.

by Anonymousreply 26October 29, 2021 1:24 AM

[quote] Sounds ready made to play during some convention hawking solar paneling led by some hippie run company. A song by Amos, a little meditation, and now the hard sell. Or maybe it will be played during some "Gaia" convention, their ads are hilarious. Honestly I lost interest in her work after Songs from the Choirgirl Hotel. The songs on there were poignant and gorgeous. This sounds...trite.

Thankfully, you’re mistaken. This is seasoned, contemplative, urgent work. You can tell she wrote these songs in a flurry - she’s a genius improvisationalist - during the initial months of this year because they, even the more downbeat songs (there aren’t many), exude an exigency that make you lean in, take a quick, deep breath, and exhale in a sort of euphoric daze.

by Anonymousreply 27October 29, 2021 1:31 AM

She's clearly talented, R27, but you sound like a member of her PR team.

by Anonymousreply 28October 29, 2021 1:33 AM

Birthday Baby is giving me low-key Bachelorette (T’s and Bjork’s) teas.

by Anonymousreply 29October 29, 2021 1:33 AM

R28 Bitch, please. I wish. I would have advised her to use a cover NOT showcasing her visage…

by Anonymousreply 30October 29, 2021 1:34 AM

Again, Metal Water Wood. I swear, it sounds like good duck feels.

by Anonymousreply 31October 29, 2021 1:37 AM

Good DICK feels.

by Anonymousreply 32October 29, 2021 1:38 AM

For those of you with a VPN…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 29, 2021 1:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 29, 2021 1:43 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 29, 2021 1:43 AM

WTF. That’s the opener, but I wasn’t trying to post it three fucking times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 29, 2021 1:45 AM

A standout.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 29, 2021 1:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 29, 2021 1:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 29, 2021 1:47 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 29, 2021 1:48 AM

Huge Tori fan here and looking forward to this release tomorrow.

I absolutely loved Native Invader and I listen to that one more than the Tori album classics (I prefer the millions of live bootleg performances which make up 1/2 my I Phone storage..

No one seems to understand how different Tori is live vs. the albums. A superlative live performer. Her albums actually pale in comparison. Native Invader is one of her few albums that I listen to constantly. It resonates as much now as it did 4-5 years ago-

Her voice is definitely starting to thin considerably, and that makes me sad. I do not know if I will see her live again as I prefer my memories of Tori in her vocal prime.

On a purely shallow note I was thinking the other day when she must have had this considerable surgery (that sadly got rid of her stunning hooded eyes) It was definitely done between late 2003 and 2004. She was touring in the summer of 2003 and then toured again in early 2005 for The Beekeeper. The surgery was in between those tours. Those HORRIBLE album photos on The Beekeeper accentuated the recent surgery. And Tori also got considerably thinner.

by Anonymousreply 41October 29, 2021 1:48 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 29, 2021 1:48 AM

Here’s my good dick…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 29, 2021 1:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 29, 2021 1:50 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 29, 2021 1:51 AM

I'll probably get it no matter what.

But I wish this really WAS a return to a stripped down piano sound a la her earliest work.

by Anonymousreply 46October 29, 2021 1:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 29, 2021 1:53 AM

R46- I agree . I was disappointed that there is only one solo song.

Breakaway on NI is probably my 2nd favorite song on the album after Wildwood.

The vibes I am getting is that this is an upbeat album with dark themes.

I will say that Spies actually grew on me. I thought it was the most horrendous thing she has ever done. And now- I really like it.

And I love Speaking With Trees- I love everything about it.

by Anonymousreply 48October 29, 2021 1:56 AM

R46 This is what I wanted for this release. However, the album is so stellar, I haven’t longed for a solo album yet while listening to it. It helps that her piano is pretty much present in every song. It’s a rich, tight, effulgent work.

by Anonymousreply 49October 29, 2021 1:57 AM

R47 et al when I click on all of the various links you've posted they say Video Unavailable

by Anonymousreply 50October 29, 2021 1:57 AM

R50 Hence why I said you needed a VPN. These are available in Australia and other parts of Europe. If you don’t have a VPN, try something free like Hide My IP.

by Anonymousreply 51October 29, 2021 1:59 AM

R48 Same here re: the two singles, which I love, but they are mid- to bottom-tier in song ranking for this album.

by Anonymousreply 52October 29, 2021 2:01 AM

I just listened to some short clips and I can tell already that Flowers Burn to Gold will be one of my favorites. I will say. all the clips sound very pretty- and the piano sounds great on all. I'm listening to anything else.

by Anonymousreply 53October 29, 2021 2:05 AM

Devil’s Bane sounds like it could breakout into full blown country at any moment, but turns into something sexier, edgier, and intensely atmospheric.

by Anonymousreply 54October 29, 2021 2:05 AM

R52- I had that feeling- and that gave me a lot of hope for this album. And I love Speaking With Trees.

Jesus Christ. 3 Words. Sleeps With Butterflies. Holy christ.

by Anonymousreply 55October 29, 2021 2:06 AM

Clips of Addition of Light Divided, Metal Water Wood, and Flowers Burn to Gold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 29, 2021 2:07 AM

R55 Oh honey, there’s nothing like that on this album. Every song sounds essential to the whole.

by Anonymousreply 57October 29, 2021 2:08 AM

Hah- That's where I heard the clips ^^^

by Anonymousreply 58October 29, 2021 2:09 AM

And The Beekeeper has truly grown on me over the years. But Sleeps With Butterflies? I really cannot even fathom that.

Fuck- I remember when we were all bitching about Ribbons Undone.

She ENDED the show in Boston with Ribbons Undone and I wanted to cut off my dick.

But I'm cool with that one now. But Sleeps With Butterflies is just horrific.

Anyway. I get a vibe that this album is gonna be a stunner.

I have been EXTREMELY unimpressed with Tori's production for years and wish she would team up with someone like that dude from Bon Iver or Father John Misty- but NI was a huge turnaround and this one sounds like a keeper.

Psyched for tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 59October 29, 2021 2:12 AM

R58 So you heard some of Metal… It’s very KB. Maybe the most I’ve ever heard her sound like her.

The atmosphere and the little evocative flourishes on this album are sublime.

by Anonymousreply 60October 29, 2021 2:13 AM

I did. One of the songs sounded extremely polished and SEXY. Not "Sweet The Sting" (ugh) "sexy" but truly SEXY. Otherworldly. I think that was the one. I am such a believer in waiting until release day. lol. But I genuinely loved what I heard.

by Anonymousreply 61October 29, 2021 2:20 AM

R59 The production on this is bar none her best since Strange Little Girls. It’s crisp, textured, and evocative. (And I’m a huge fan of Native Invader. My favorite album is Boys for Pele.)

Other observations (I’m on my fourth listen): You know, she flirts with heartache on this album but never succumbs to it. Also, these songs don’t sound or feel like messages - something she’s been prone to trying to accomplish within the last two decades - as much as they do like off the cuff confessions.

It really stands out amongst her entire body of work. As a longtime fan, it stuns me that I haven’t caught myself once thinking, “I’ll have to work on liking this.” Speaking with Trees and Spies make total sense within the context of the album.

Like the crests of waves…

The chorus on Ocean to Ocean is just… ::chef’s kiss::

by Anonymousreply 62October 29, 2021 2:21 AM

I wonder, does it drop at midnight in the US?

by Anonymousreply 63October 29, 2021 2:24 AM

That's what floored me about the clips- each one sounded beautiful to my ears immediately. I am NOT used to that with Tori.

Even Native Invader confronts your ears and senses. You have to get used to a lot of it.

These songs were VERY inviting.

Spies- I truly do not like Tori's vocal- but I think its supposed to be playful like a friend whispering a nursery rhyme in your ear- and this one (if Tori still has a voice) could be absolutely fantastic live- solo on the piano. And no bullshit backing tracking shit.

by Anonymousreply 64October 29, 2021 2:28 AM

I've been a casual fan of Tori's for years and this album is very good. Probably her best in nearly 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 65October 29, 2021 2:44 AM

R65 Interesting to read the opinion of a casual fan. What stands out to you?

by Anonymousreply 66October 29, 2021 2:46 AM

R65 is Tash.

by Anonymousreply 67October 29, 2021 2:47 AM

r66 just her voice and the melodies of her songs. I don't know all of her work, but I just enjoy what I do know. And especially since pop music has been nothing but Autotuned pole dancers for quite a while now, it's refreshing to hear a real singer and musician.

by Anonymousreply 68October 29, 2021 2:49 AM

R68 That’s great to read.

by Anonymousreply 69October 29, 2021 2:57 AM

Swim to New York State swells so beautifully.

Another observation: her gentleness in this album is the antithesis of treacly. She sounds resilient and assured, with a quiet confidence usually forged in the fires of pain.

by Anonymousreply 70October 29, 2021 3:00 AM

Is her daughter on this album? I really hope not, I am tired of her being featured so much on some TA songs on recent albums.

I am heartened by the fact that there is a smaller number of songs on this album, as a lot of her better albums are shorter. Maybe the decline of CD sales has helped her. There was a long stretch there where she seemed to feel that she had to fill every bit on a CD, when a lot of those songs should have been cut, or left for B-sides on Japanese CD single releases.

by Anonymousreply 71October 29, 2021 3:10 AM

R71 Actually, reading your post reminded me that she reportedly contributes background vocals on one of the songs. Honestly, I don’t hear it.

I’m going in for my fifth listen of this album in less than 24 hours, and I’m as raw as freshly cut grass, i.e., I’m not under the influence of alcohol, marijuana, or any other substances (having a sip of wine and a few tokes of good weed while listening to a new Tori Amos album was once a consistent ritual for me).

This album is fucking crystalline.

by Anonymousreply 72October 29, 2021 3:36 AM

It’s available on Amazon now.

by Anonymousreply 73October 29, 2021 4:08 AM

Enya called. She wants her key art back.

by Anonymousreply 74October 29, 2021 4:12 AM

Available on iTunes (Apple Music) as well.

by Anonymousreply 75October 29, 2021 4:14 AM

Erna called, R74. She wants mouth to ass - yours to hers - now.

by Anonymousreply 76October 29, 2021 4:14 AM

R76 please ensure your hearing aid is charged to listen to the latest dirge, luv.

by Anonymousreply 77October 29, 2021 4:30 AM

R77 Oh, darling, I can guarantee you that you’ve got me beat by a good two decades, if not more. Now, make sure to give Erna your undivided attention. You know how querulous she can be.

by Anonymousreply 78October 29, 2021 4:35 AM

Enya and Tori really have nothing in common.

I'm listening to Tori's new album for a second time. As I wrote above, the current music scene is pretty starved for actual talent and it's so nice to hear real talent.

by Anonymousreply 79October 29, 2021 4:47 AM

Sure R78. I'm mid 40s. Tori's key art is a snooze and her music for the last few decades has been a snooze. I loved her first few albums and saw her live in club gigs in the early 90s all the way through stadiums in the mid to late 90s. She's been irrelevant since her cover version of "I don't like mondays."

Still, she's got one on you - better a has been than a never was.

by Anonymousreply 80October 29, 2021 5:02 AM

R80 It’s good to see that you were once a fan and even better to have you confirm that you are older than me. Both admissions explain a lot. I would write more, but people as sour and dour as you warrant and deserve as little attention as possible, which I’m more than sure you’re used to.

by Anonymousreply 81October 29, 2021 5:23 AM

I was a huge fan of Tori when I was a teenager and in my 20s (up to about Strange Little Girls). I saw her live in 2005 in Montreal, but even then I thought she was on the wane, though she put on a great show. Her songs have this sameness to them now, maybe it's partially her husband's fault?

Also, I don't fault her for getting plastic surgery, but I don't think she ever really relied on her looks to sell CDs and concert tickets, and I think her main audience is women and gay men, anyway. I would think she would feel less pressure to look young, but obviously that is not the case. It's sad she succumbed, and that she can't give up those long, orange wigs.

by Anonymousreply 82October 29, 2021 5:47 AM

New thread below. I posted videos to all the songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 29, 2021 6:29 AM

This is a great album. I am surprised at this one!!

It's her best produced since Choirgirl. Sonically its even better than Scarlets Walk.

That last track- Birthday Baby- is the one that surprised me the most. I fucking love it. Just a great hopeful, charming, sad closer.

Only clunker for me is 29 Years. And I hate to say that.

She did a nice job.

by Anonymousreply 84October 29, 2021 12:02 PM

Darn, the vinyl is delayed until the end of January.

I guess I'll wait for it until then - not paying for the digital files when I get them free w/vinyl.

Sounds good so far! (Listening to the full album on YT)

by Anonymousreply 85October 29, 2021 7:05 PM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 86October 31, 2021 6:10 AM

Pitchfork finally reviewed this. Gave it 7.3. They gave Native Invader 7.5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 3, 2021 11:43 PM

Now that we've had the album for over a month, I'd say "Spies" is still my favourite. "Addition of Light Divided" is second.

by Anonymousreply 88December 3, 2021 11:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!