Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Today’s actors who could never happen in the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Golden Age executives would laugh Timothee Chalamet out of the room. An androgynous, gay baiting, devoid of masculinity actor would be unfathomable. You needed looks or talent or both but you needed at least one. Times have certainly changed. Now It seems like pretty much anyone can become famous. Are there any other actors today who probably wouldn’t happen in the old days of Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 219October 16, 2021 2:53 PM

1930s-40s Timothee Chalamet would have been cast as hotel bellhops or telegram delivery boys.

by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2021 12:35 PM

Billy Porter

Laverne Cox

by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2021 12:48 PM

Lena Dunham

by Anonymousreply 3October 7, 2021 1:22 PM

Most non-White actors, OP, would not make it by the narrow standards of the "Golden Age of Hollywood".

by Anonymousreply 4October 7, 2021 1:50 PM

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2021 2:02 PM

Brie Larson

by Anonymousreply 6October 7, 2021 2:07 PM

I get that people fetishize the things they associate with themselves but holy hell, you people are utterly insane when it comes to this golden age of hollywood crap. On the rare occasion I've been forced to watch a piece of one of these movies (and I can only stomach pieces), I always come away baffled that anyone looks at those "performances" as acting. No talent. The dialogue revolving around words no one has ever used in that way. Reactions that make absolutely no sense. And above all the absolutely, stunningly blinding utter whiteness of it all.

I tried to watch Guess Who's Coming to Dinner for a class in college and had three reactions: 1) Did Katherine Hepburn have a stroke? 2) Why is Spencer Tracy clearly drunk and no one saying anything? and 3) On what planet would a doctor who is apparently considered one of the best in his field in the entire world give some not-even-a-college-graduate chippy the time of day, let alone go home to her boring, ordinary family and tolerate them going over him as if they're doing him the favor? I'm 40 and I admit I grew up very sheltered (in a Jack and Jill type black family), but watching that load of bs and realizing that that was considered a reasonable plot at all put the spectre of how bad racism truly was. I hate that movie.

Anyway, the golden age of hollywood sucked.

by Anonymousreply 7October 7, 2021 2:19 PM

Op, the effete, untalented wet rag Leslie Howard was cast as Scarlet O’Hara real love in Gone With The Wind. Maybe you should see more older movies, there are many other examples.

by Anonymousreply 8October 7, 2021 2:26 PM

Isn't Timothee the modern day Anthony Perkins?

by Anonymousreply 9October 7, 2021 2:33 PM

LOL

I have to give credit for the inventive ways various trolls who hate specific celebrities have to start stealth threads.

I mean, why be obvious like the Janet troll when you can slip a hate thread in without raising suspicion - I admit I got sucked into this thread thinking it would be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 10October 7, 2021 2:44 PM

I could see Timothee Chalamet in Farley Granger or Montgomery Clift roles.

by Anonymousreply 11October 7, 2021 2:50 PM

Timothee still wouldn't have fucked you during the golden age of movies and I assume you were in you early 20s back then OP

by Anonymousreply 12October 7, 2021 2:56 PM

R2 I disagree about Billy Porter. He would’ve loved shucking and jiving for America. He might’ve even had a bigger career because he would’ve gotten leading man roles, too because no one would’ve known he was gay because he would’ve had to hide it and butch it up.

by Anonymousreply 13October 7, 2021 2:59 PM

R10 who even uses “LOL” these days?

by Anonymousreply 14October 7, 2021 3:05 PM

This is the stupidest thread idea for some time.

Of course standards and tastes are different now. OP, do you think Golden Age stars John Hodiak and June Allyson and Sonja Henie would have been headline stars today? Do you think they somehow would deserve to be?

by Anonymousreply 15October 7, 2021 3:07 PM

[quote] [R10] who even uses “LOL” these days?

You're totally on the wrong forum, hon.

by Anonymousreply 16October 7, 2021 3:08 PM

r7 is an intellectually torpid pretentious twat.

by Anonymousreply 17October 7, 2021 3:09 PM

I am, R16.

by Anonymousreply 18October 7, 2021 3:10 PM

[quote] I could see Timothee Chalamet in Farley Granger or Montgomery Clift roles.

It’s not about his acting, it’s about his physicality. Hollywood didn’t cast skinny cute boy-men as leads back then. The men looked like mature men even if they were young. On the rare occasions you do see someone twinky in an old movie it looks jarring.

by Anonymousreply 19October 7, 2021 3:14 PM

[quote]Hollywood didn’t cast skinny cute boy-men as leads back then.

No, just fat cute boy-men, like Mickey Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 20October 7, 2021 3:21 PM

What about Lon McCallister? He was basically a twink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 7, 2021 3:24 PM

Huge Golden Age box office stars who would not make it today (thank God):

Shirley Temple

Dick Powell

Jeanette MacDonald

Gene Autry

Mickey Rooney

Bob Hope

Esther Williams

Mary Pickford

Rin-Tin-Tin

by Anonymousreply 22October 7, 2021 3:28 PM

[quote]And above all the absolutely, stunningly blinding utter whiteness of it all.

Bless your little racist socks, R7. Yes, it was all horrid pap, and every last celluloid of it should be burnt. And as for black critics who respect and adore it: those Uncle Toms should be tarred and feathered!

by Anonymousreply 23October 7, 2021 3:33 PM

G is today's Marjorie Main

by Anonymousreply 24October 7, 2021 3:41 PM

George Burns) You don't have a date?

Rita Hayworth) It's true, the studio has built me into such a glamour girl, every man thinks my datebook must be full, so I don't get asked out. I tell you it's depressing.

Gracie Allen) Aw, cheer up Rita, maybe that isn't the reason at all. Maybe it's your looks.

by Anonymousreply 25October 7, 2021 3:42 PM

[quote]And above all the absolutely, stunningly blinding utter whiteness of it all.

And what would you expect? White men invented the technology and created the industry. They created Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 26October 7, 2021 3:44 PM

OP, there were plenty of crappy actors in the golden age. I don't even like Timothee but I'd take him over, say, Mickey Rooney any day

This is another "Everything was better in MY day" thread from the eldergays

by Anonymousreply 27October 7, 2021 3:45 PM

R19, Chalmet doesn't really play traditional leading man roles, though

by Anonymousreply 28October 7, 2021 3:46 PM

I'm fixated on R7's using Guess Who's Coming to Dinner as an example of the Golden Age of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 29October 7, 2021 3:46 PM

James Dean acting was whiny and he had an anus mouth.

That's no more different than Ratboy Timootay in 2021.

by Anonymousreply 30October 7, 2021 3:47 PM

^ I truly don't comprehend why James Dean is so much more well known and revered than Montgomery Clift outside of dying while he was young and arguably pretty. The guy was in three movies! Marilyn Monroe, who also gets the deifying treatment, was in over a decade of films.

by Anonymousreply 31October 7, 2021 3:49 PM

[quote]OP, there were plenty of crappy actors in the golden age. I don't even like Timothee but I'd take him over, say, Mickey Rooney any day

You are so wrong about that.

Micky Rooney was an excellent young actor. Highly regarded. Excellent in dramas (The Human Comedy) and sensational in his musical numbers with Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 32October 7, 2021 3:54 PM

Leslie Howard

Danny Kaye

Van Johnson

Mickey Rooney

What's so Golden about these actors?

by Anonymousreply 33October 7, 2021 3:55 PM

Chalamet would have had his name changed to something like Timothy Marlowe. The studio would have put him in teenager roles at first, and he would have basically stayed in the juvenile roles until he was pushing 30. At that point he would have segued into Farley Granger types of parts, the studio would have beefed him up a little and given him shoulder pads to make him look less whispy.

Roddy McDowell had Chalamet's body type but he was a much better actor. Well, so was Granger, to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 34October 7, 2021 3:59 PM

Melissa McCarthy. Don’t recall any fat women in the “Golden Age”.

by Anonymousreply 35October 7, 2021 4:05 PM

Timothee IS Cornelius in the Planet of the Apes.

by Anonymousreply 36October 7, 2021 4:07 PM

r35, although pretty much forgotten today, Marie Dressler was one of the biggest stars of the early 30s:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 7, 2021 4:09 PM

Not a Chalamet fan because he can only play himself and he's a narcissist... BUT Rudolph Valentino was said to have a whiff of a "feminine style" and it didn't hurt his career either. And was Charlie Chaplin masculine? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 38October 7, 2021 4:15 PM

If Jimmy Stewart could be a movie star back then, Chalamet might have succeeded as well. I happen to despise both of them.

by Anonymousreply 39October 7, 2021 4:20 PM

There were but not a lot, r35. Marie Dressler, Hattie McDaniel, I guess Kate Smith would count. There were character actresses who played small roles, often billed as "fat woman."

There were a few men like Raymond Burr, Sydney Greenstreet, Laird Cregar, and William Conrad.

by Anonymousreply 40October 7, 2021 4:22 PM

Dwayne Johnson

Lady Gaga

by Anonymousreply 41October 7, 2021 4:44 PM

[quote]Dwayne Johnson

Mike Mazurki!

[quote]Lady Gaga

She'd be one of those gimmicky character actresses who played exotic characters, like Maria Ouspenskaya.

by Anonymousreply 42October 7, 2021 4:48 PM

[quote] 1930s-40s Timothee Chalamet would have been cast as hotel bellhops or telegram delivery boys

He would have been hot as a bellhop.

by Anonymousreply 43October 7, 2021 4:49 PM

Remember in "Radioland Murders" when they had 250-pound, 6-foot-2 Scott Michael Campbell as the bellhop? What a mess. Bellhops are twinks! This is scientific fact!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 7, 2021 4:51 PM

The comparison of Timothee Chalamet to Roddy McDowell is spot-on. Another Golden Age analogue for him would be Tony Perkins.

by Anonymousreply 45October 7, 2021 4:56 PM

Gracie Allen) You know Marie, Tootsie is at the end of a seven day beauty treatment, afterwich she'll look just like you

Tootsie Sagwell) Then you and I can swap beauty secrets

Marie MacDonald) Let's not swap, I'll just tell you what I know

by Anonymousreply 46October 7, 2021 6:09 PM

Lady Gaga would have been a telephone operator in several Warner Bros. movies in the early 30s.

by Anonymousreply 47October 7, 2021 6:16 PM

Chalamet might have had a solid career back in the day, because people forget that men were not expected to be as muscular and beefed up as they are now. The comparisons to Monty Clift, Roddy McDowell, and Tony Perkins are apt.

by Anonymousreply 48October 7, 2021 7:02 PM

I don't think Ryan Gosling would make it during the Golden Age of Hollywood. He's basically ugly.

by Anonymousreply 49October 7, 2021 7:07 PM

There were male stars uglier than Ryan Gosling in the Golden Age of Hollywood, like Humphrey Bogart and Edward G. Robinson and George Raft.

by Anonymousreply 50October 7, 2021 7:15 PM

Jack Palance.

by Anonymousreply 51October 7, 2021 7:21 PM

Bogart has more presence in his ugly nose than Gosling does in his entire body. It's not so much a question of looks as it is charisma and vibe.

by Anonymousreply 52October 7, 2021 9:00 PM

R26 don't understand why people don't get this. Hollywood was founded by Jews from Europe, they can cast and hire whoever they damn well please. Don't watch it if you don't like it, in fact it's precisely the reason I can't stand most Hollywood films. But I'm not going to accuse execs of racism over it, I'll just do the logical thing and watch a foreign film or pick up a hobby.

by Anonymousreply 53October 7, 2021 9:31 PM

Jessica Lange would have been Barbara Stanwick, basically, so she'd fit right in.

Vin Diesel and all those muscle bound superhero actors would not work at all, except for Chris Evans because he's not bulky and he also looks a bit like someone from the golden age of Hollywood.

I might revisit this thread later. As of yet, I'm undecided but the topic is good, OP.

by Anonymousreply 54October 7, 2021 9:39 PM

R47, actually Lady Gaga would’ve been cast as the manicurist in The Women were not for the fact that the make up was a little expensive.

by Anonymousreply 55October 7, 2021 9:56 PM

R24

More like Marjorie Main horse in "The Women"

by Anonymousreply 56October 7, 2021 10:57 PM

R55

You are totally right: Stephanie does look like the EA 5th av. manicurist.

by Anonymousreply 57October 7, 2021 11:01 PM

[quote] Bogart has more presence in his ugly nose than Gosling does in his entire body. It's not so much a question of looks as it is charisma and vibe.

Fine. But then you're contradicting r49, who implied it was all about looks, and I don't think that's true.

by Anonymousreply 58October 7, 2021 11:03 PM

Some of you have this strange and inaccurate idea that Golden Age Hollywood was only about perfect faces. It was not: as shown in the posts above, there were indeed several huge stars who were not technically beautiful or who had non-standard body shapes, from Marie Dressler to Wallace Beery to Mickey Rooney to Spencer Tracy to Humphrey Bogart to June Allyson.

The idea that they all had to look like Robert Taylor and Rita Hayworth has been fully and thoroughly disproved, yet some of you for some reason keep arguing as if it were true.

by Anonymousreply 59October 7, 2021 11:09 PM

[quote]Isn't Timothee the modern day Anthony Perkins?

No, that would be Andrew Garfield. Timothee would've been more of a Richard O'Sullivan type (the actor who played Liz Taylor's little brother in 'Cleopatra')

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 7, 2021 11:10 PM

I watch my old movies and cringe at what a bad actress I was. I guess back then it was all about the glamour

by Anonymousreply 61October 8, 2021 12:21 AM

As older than dirt some of us DLers are even we weren't going to the movies during the Golden age of Hollywood. We hadn't been born yet. Strange but true.

by Anonymousreply 62October 8, 2021 12:31 AM

I could see Farley Granger IN Timothee.

But not in one of Granger's roles.

by Anonymousreply 63October 8, 2021 12:40 AM

Farley was a top?

by Anonymousreply 64October 8, 2021 12:42 AM

R28, what are traditional leading roles nowadays, do they exist??

by Anonymousreply 65October 8, 2021 8:30 AM

Denzel Washington & Viola Davis.

Though Octavia Spencer would have snapped up a lot of Hattie McDaniel's parts.

by Anonymousreply 66October 8, 2021 8:57 AM

Now the top movies are largely just banal superhero stuff. The state of the movie industry is depressing. Plus, actors lack class and that elusive quality they had in the era before social media made everyone a narcissistic bore.

by Anonymousreply 67October 8, 2021 9:21 AM

R67 We agree.

by Anonymousreply 68October 8, 2021 9:50 AM

[quote]Hollywood was founded by Jews from Europe...in fact it's precisely the reason I can't stand most Hollywood films.

Huh.

by Anonymousreply 69October 8, 2021 11:16 AM

Perkins and McDowell were cute/hot...Timotee is not.

by Anonymousreply 70October 8, 2021 2:22 PM

You're just blind, r70.

by Anonymousreply 71October 8, 2021 2:27 PM

R26, r23, it may be true, but that doesn’t make it right.

by Anonymousreply 72October 8, 2021 2:39 PM

R69 what I meant to say was that the white men casting nothing but white men in all racial roles is why I can't stand most old Hollywood films. Obviously modern films are different but it takes me out of a film when an Italian is playing a native American or Mikey Rooney is playing a Japanese man. I have nothing against Jewish men producing directing and casting films.

by Anonymousreply 73October 8, 2021 4:14 PM

I can totally see Tyler Hoechlin in a Golden Age movie - a pretty boy like Robert Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 74October 8, 2021 4:16 PM

I think some actors like Chris Pine and James Marsden might have been even more successful in the "golden age." The studios would have known what to do with them. They can sing a little, so they'd stick them in more musicals.

by Anonymousreply 75October 8, 2021 4:52 PM

Jessica Lange had nothing like the range of Stanwyck, who literally played everything.

John Hodiak was never a "star". he was a contract player, mostly featured in B-pictures who wound up in supporting roles. he died rather young.

by Anonymousreply 76October 8, 2021 5:49 PM

Jennifer Aniston.

She’d have ripped apart by movie studios for her looks.

by Anonymousreply 77October 8, 2021 5:53 PM

Marsden actually has a really good voice, best shown up thus far in "Hairspray".

Ann Sothern was great as "Maisie" and she had a really good voice. Try watching her tv version of "Lady in the Dark" - quite excellent in all respects

Robert Taylor for some reason doesn't look all that handsome to me; he's a pretty bad actor, and supposedly that didn't matter because of his looks, but I just don't see him as being all that -- now Errol Flynn certainly was great looking, and he had presence, could act in those heroic and action role well enough. Even Bette Davis, who didn't think he could act that well, later saw one of his films and finally said that he was a better actor than she gave him credit for at the time.

Jennifer Aniston's looks are highly over-rated. The really pretty one on "Friends" was Courtney Cox and the talented one was Lisa Kudrow. Pretty crappy show -- just saw some episodes here and there.

Mickey Rooney didn't age well, and his casting in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" was a horrible decision, but he was very cute when he was younger, and he fucked some of the biggest female stars (and lesser known starlets) during his youth, including the widow of the head of the studio, Norma Shearer.

by Anonymousreply 78October 8, 2021 6:12 PM

Robert Taylor's best performance is probably Undercurrent (1946), where he plays the villain terrorizing Katharine Hepburn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 8, 2021 6:22 PM

Katharine Hepburn probably deserved being bullied around sometimes. Didn't Spencer Tracy, before they became "friends" once say about Hepburn that she talked like she "had a feather in her ass"?

by Anonymousreply 80October 8, 2021 6:30 PM

1930s-1940s Bradley Cooper would have been typecast as a hotel desk clerk, ringing the bell for Timothee Chalamet.

by Anonymousreply 81October 8, 2021 6:44 PM

Taylor’s best performance and one of Hepburn’s worst.

by Anonymousreply 82October 8, 2021 6:49 PM

LOL is better than the hehehehe ???? Thats just creepy !

by Anonymousreply 83October 8, 2021 7:07 PM

‘Despise‘ R39? What a strange choice of word for actors you don’t like. What’s to despise? James Stewart is one of the all-time great male stars. He had Republican views but he also was a hero in the war against the Nazis. I happen to think that’s more important than whatever politically incorrect language he may have used. And Chalamet is at the start of his career and seems fairly inoffensive. Save ‘despise’ for bad people.

by Anonymousreply 84October 8, 2021 7:45 PM

Old movies (1920's-50"s) were so poorly acted, it's actually comical. Katherine Hepburn, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford were all so hideously ugly and robotic, I can't imagine how they were ever cast in anything. Eldergays live in a fantasy world about old actors, which has nothing to do with reality. None of the old school actors except maybe Marilyn, Liz, Cary Grant, and Marlon Brando would make it today. Sorry, I guess the truth hurts.

by Anonymousreply 85October 8, 2021 7:47 PM

I can’t take people like r85 seriously.

by Anonymousreply 86October 8, 2021 9:10 PM

R86, don’t take the bait.

by Anonymousreply 87October 8, 2021 9:23 PM

[Quote] Golden Age executives would laugh Timothee Chalamet out of the room. An androgynous, gay baiting, devoid of masculinity actor would be unfathomable.

Quite.

by Anonymousreply 88October 8, 2021 9:51 PM

[Quote] On what planet would a doctor who is apparently considered one of the best in his field in the entire world give some not-even-a-college-graduate chippy the time of day, let alone go home to her boring, ordinary family and tolerate them going over him as if they're doing him the favor?

Why would Sidney Poitier (or Harry Belafonte) think White Is Right?

by Anonymousreply 89October 8, 2021 9:53 PM

This is an interesting subject but goes either way. Some concepts of beauty vary with time. Jennifer Aniston would never have made it earlier in the century but Olivia de Havilland baffles me (ugly, short and histrionic). Norma Sheridan looks ludicrous. Bette Davis, Katherine Hepbrun, stanwick, Streep, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman, Dunaway and Michelle Pfeiffer would always be stars, whatever the time.

by Anonymousreply 90October 8, 2021 11:16 PM

And Cate Blantchett

by Anonymousreply 91October 8, 2021 11:18 PM

Jean Harlow is not beautiful by today's standards. Mae West was thick bodied. Star quality shines through.

by Anonymousreply 92October 8, 2021 11:18 PM

[quote]Norma Sheridan looks ludicrous.

She couldn't hold a candle to me!

by Anonymousreply 93October 8, 2021 11:46 PM

Hamish Linklator

by Anonymousreply 94October 8, 2021 11:48 PM

Was Ann Sheridan lesbeterian?

by Anonymousreply 95October 9, 2021 12:00 AM

R92 If Reese and Aniston can be considered beautiful, Jean Harlow would be considered beautiful. If you changed her hair and makeup, especially her eyebrows, to today’s look, she’d fit in.

by Anonymousreply 96October 9, 2021 12:08 AM

R96, i am r90 dissing Jennifer Aniston, but Reese whatever her name does not compare. She is neither beautiful nor talented nor has star presence. She’s been very lucky and clever, both main factors in this discussion. I also suspect she threatens people with her chin.

by Anonymousreply 97October 9, 2021 12:31 AM

By the same logic, JenAn and Witherspoon could be made 30s glamour gals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 9, 2021 12:32 AM

Reese is great in ELECTION. If you can't see that, you're a dunce.

by Anonymousreply 99October 9, 2021 12:32 AM

R99 Reese is great in Legally Blonde, which is one of my guilty pleasures. Luke Wilson was so fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 100October 9, 2021 1:36 AM

Nearly all of them, I'm sure there are some exceptions but I can't think of them right now.

I'm talking about the actors that are Gen X and after.

by Anonymousreply 101October 9, 2021 1:40 AM

Harlow wasn’t a great beauty by any standard. But she photographed well and she had a divine figure.

by Anonymousreply 102October 9, 2021 1:46 AM

That Sandra Bulldyke someone or other. Leading ladies were not made to look like lesbians in those days.

by Anonymousreply 103October 9, 2021 2:22 AM

Golden-Age movie stars could walk in heels gracefully, Miss Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 104October 9, 2021 3:37 AM

Jessica Lange could not sustain a movie career, so why would she be a success in the past? She has a strange affect.

Movie stars reflect their time. Audiences adopt them and decide who is a star.

Ryan Gosling had plastic surgery. So did Saoirse Ronan. I can’t think of a single movie star under 40 who is good. It’s all about branding now.

by Anonymousreply 105October 9, 2021 3:52 AM

She looked the part at least. Like Julia Roberts and Michelle Pfieffer, They looked the part. Demi Moore doesn't look like a movie star. Neither does Sandra Bullock.

by Anonymousreply 106October 9, 2021 3:57 AM

[Quote] Jessica Lange could not sustain a movie career

Any actor would love to have had Lange's unsustainable career in the 80s and 90s.

I'm not the Lange Loon, but I do acknowledge facts and reality.

by Anonymousreply 107October 9, 2021 3:59 AM

[Quote] Demi Moore doesn't look like a movie star.

Get the fuck out of here.

This is the definition of a movie star:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108October 9, 2021 4:04 AM

"people fetishize"

R7 You are slightly off in the use of fetishize.

by Anonymousreply 109October 9, 2021 4:05 AM

R107 Nor does Melissa McCarthy of Jennifer Hudson

by Anonymousreply 110October 9, 2021 4:06 AM

Adam Driver

by Anonymousreply 111October 9, 2021 4:07 AM

R98 I think there are less aesthetic issues with Jean’s face than there are with Reese and Aniston.

Aniston wouldn’t be a 1930’s glamour girl with that nose.

by Anonymousreply 112October 9, 2021 4:09 AM

Demi Moore does not look like a traditional movie star. I think she's beautiful but not like i could plug her into everything. I noticed her career stalled when Julia Roberts was ascending. You can't plug a Demi Moore in. You can plug a young nubile ingenue into anything. Especially if the world just fell in love with her. And the world was in love with Julia Roberts for 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 113October 9, 2021 4:14 AM

I think Demi would have fit right into the actresses of the 1940’s.

by Anonymousreply 114October 9, 2021 4:16 AM

R112, Barbara Stanwyck was no beauty.

by Anonymousreply 115October 9, 2021 4:27 AM

Demi and Julia were at their peak fame as movie stars at exactly the same time, the 1990s: Pretty Woman was released six months prior to Ghost.

Agree with r114: Demi would have been totally at home in the film noir of the 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 116October 9, 2021 4:29 AM

I don't think I ever viewed Moore as an ingenue. She always registered as butch or best friend. She was not a princess Julia Roberts type Ever.

by Anonymousreply 117October 9, 2021 4:35 AM

I feel like Julia would have been able to be a vaudeville or early silent film star with her looks.

Some of those old stars were kinda ugly. Eva Tanguay was absolutely hideous but she was really popular. I guess we have Miley Cyrus.

by Anonymousreply 118October 9, 2021 4:58 AM

No actress inn 20 years looks quite like a movie star as Julia Roberts. Lawrence is a bit rough for plug in heroine.

by Anonymousreply 119October 9, 2021 5:02 AM

Speaking of all this, when DID Hollywood stars have to meet harsh beauty criteria? Because a lot of vaudeville and silent film stars were kind of ugly now that I think about it.

Theda Bada was ugly too. Almost scary.

And then you’ve got Clara Bow and Louise Brooks who I would consider attractive.

by Anonymousreply 120October 9, 2021 5:03 AM

Clara Bow's entire thing was personality. She was vivacious and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 121October 9, 2021 5:05 AM

R121 Well I agree with that and I think Clara was pretty. She made sense being popular.

But someone like Theda Bara is scary looking and she was considered very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 122October 9, 2021 5:07 AM

I think only a handful of actresses are box office stars like a Julia Roberts. They are all in the Golden Age. In the modern era not one comes close.

by Anonymousreply 123October 9, 2021 5:07 AM

I think Charlize Theron would have been considered beautiful even in the past.

by Anonymousreply 124October 9, 2021 5:10 AM

Owen Wilson

by Anonymousreply 125October 9, 2021 5:14 AM

Being pretty is not enough. They needed some kind of moxie or sparkle.

by Anonymousreply 126October 9, 2021 5:46 AM

Julia would be hideous in the old hair styles.

by Anonymousreply 127October 9, 2021 5:48 AM

Julia Roberts would NOT have had the looks for Hollywood 30s to 50s. Even her her prime.

by Anonymousreply 128October 9, 2021 6:01 AM

^Even in her prime.

by Anonymousreply 129October 9, 2021 6:02 AM

Demi Moore in her prime could have fit right into the 1940s as a leading lady star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 9, 2021 6:05 AM

Julia was gorgeous s a young star. You are full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 131October 9, 2021 6:06 AM

Julia has old movie start beauty. Not Demi.

by Anonymousreply 132October 9, 2021 6:08 AM

Amy Schumer

by Anonymousreply 133October 9, 2021 6:13 AM

R90 Norma Sheridan?

Really?

Are you paid by this Lucille LeSueur harlot?

by Anonymousreply 134October 9, 2021 9:08 AM

The actors of the so-called Golden Age of Hollywood were not actors, they were cartoon characters. No one spoke like that. Even Bette Davis admitted this.

by Anonymousreply 135October 9, 2021 10:14 AM

Marie Dressler!

by Anonymousreply 136October 9, 2021 12:04 PM

Sean Young could have been a film noir actress.

by Anonymousreply 137October 9, 2021 5:05 PM

Sean Young, quite beautiful and also very good in comedy.

by Anonymousreply 138October 9, 2021 5:13 PM

As a golden age actress (de Havilland? I'm not sure) once said, some actors would have been far better off under the old studio system. Sure, they're free to build their own careers nowadays, but perhaps they're ill-equipped to do so.

A beautiful woman like Sean Young, Sharon Stone, or Jessica Lange would have had an army of producers and especially, writers creating properties for them, to showcase their specific talents (comic, musical, pure eye candy, etc.) to best advantage. The actors would have succeeded, the films would have succeeded, and they would have built a loyal audience, as a result. That's how it worked for de Havilland and her peers.

by Anonymousreply 139October 9, 2021 6:17 PM

Sure, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 140October 9, 2021 6:23 PM

Sandra Bullock

by Anonymousreply 141October 9, 2021 6:43 PM

R139, The studios also owned the movie theaters, so they had effective control of the distribution and exhibition of their own films. An untested starlet could be put in movie after movie, going from walk-on parts to supporting roles until she built up an audience willing to pay to see her headline a picture.

by Anonymousreply 142October 9, 2021 6:48 PM

If only.

by Anonymousreply 143October 9, 2021 6:57 PM

If those women had their same personalities, they would not succeed in the studio system. They all were unbankable, difficult and blamed others for their failures.

by Anonymousreply 144October 9, 2021 7:00 PM

R142 That's how I started, and I ended up owning the studio

by Anonymousreply 145October 9, 2021 7:13 PM

R30 R31

Dean may have only starred in three movies but he did a substantial amount of television work, which you probably haven’t even bothered to watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146October 10, 2021 1:10 AM

Bullshit. Chalamet could have been Roddy McDowell or any number of exotic star boys.

by Anonymousreply 147October 10, 2021 1:13 AM

Julia Roberts huge mouth, low eyebrows, large nose and lopsided face would not have worked in Golden Age Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 148October 10, 2021 1:21 AM

R148 isn't she supposed to be the dame of the current crop? She does look good on a large screen. I don't know if its standard "old" Hollywood beauty but i do see the extra special there.

by Anonymousreply 149October 10, 2021 1:25 AM

Just like Gene Tierney's overbite didn't work?

by Anonymousreply 150October 10, 2021 1:28 AM

R149 She looks perfectly fine for the modern era. But that's not a 1930-to-1950s Hollywood face.

R150 Overbite or not, THIS is a Golden Age Hollywood face:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151October 10, 2021 1:32 AM

This is also a Golden Age Hollywood face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152October 10, 2021 1:34 AM

Another Golden Age Hollywood face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 10, 2021 1:37 AM

ZaSu Pitts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154October 10, 2021 1:38 AM

I think Chalomet could have slotted into a juvenile (Monty Clift type) role in his twenties and then graduated into Robert Taylor stuff.

So many golden age stars shouldn't have made it either. While when I look back, they were all good looking, but compared to their contemporaries, not so much in some cases. Jean Arthur. Irene Dunne for example. Hard mouths. A dowdy vibe.

I find neither one attractive on film but I've seen candids of them when I'm like - who is that? And it's Jean Arthur or Irene Dunne. Their mouths messed them up on celluloid more than in person. Norma Shearer actually had a modeling contract before getting into films. There's such a huge gap sometimes between what is good looking vis a vis real life people and what is good looking vis a vis other stars. I've seen chorus line photos of a young Barbara Stanwyk where I'm like - wow, she's exceptionally pretty. It wasn't just her talent that got her attention. But then put her in Hwood and she needs the acting edge to stay afloat, whereas on Broadway her looks also gave her an edge. In Hwood her looks barely got her in the door.

Bette Davis. Come now. She was a successful Broadway ingenue and if she weren't considered good looking nobody would have signed her to a film contract. Sensational figure (petite, great rack, great waist, great legs, good proportions photogenitically). Huge eyes. Cheekbones. Jawline. Her nose was not as refined as many movie stars' and neither was her mouth. But when she was signed, she, Carole Lombard and Constance Bennet were considered interchangeable facially. Articles were done on it. She was smart and figured out early that the "actress" niche was where her best chance stood of becoming a star.

by Anonymousreply 155October 10, 2021 1:42 AM

It's not very believable that this old drunk is incredulous at Bette Davis' good looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 10, 2021 1:45 AM

R153 The camera loved Davis and Stanwyck. You are confusing beauty with the physical requirements of that era. Davis and Stanwyck had big expressive faces that worked under the extreme closeups of the day. They could convey paragraphs of script with just the look in their eyes.

by Anonymousreply 157October 10, 2021 1:56 AM

Two very wrong concepts in this thread. That Chalemet wouldn't have been accepted in old Hollywood because he's physically wrong, is just stupid. Secondly, that somehow the talent in old Hollywood was greater (or far worse) than what we have today, is just stupid too. Timothee Chalemet is very, very talented. And so was Anthony Perkins. And so was William Holden, who played the geeky teenager when he was starting out.

by Anonymousreply 158October 10, 2021 1:58 AM

And Mickey Rooney was an eyesore!

by Anonymousreply 159October 10, 2021 2:00 AM

Man Chalamet is not that talented. Please stop.

by Anonymousreply 160October 10, 2021 2:05 AM

Please stop yourself.

by Anonymousreply 161October 10, 2021 2:15 AM

Who are these people who keep saying that he is so hot? And why? An underfed, one-note actor.

by Anonymousreply 162October 10, 2021 2:17 AM

They had faces then . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163October 10, 2021 2:20 AM

[quote]It's not very believable that this old drunk is incredulous at Bette Davis' good looks.

And yet when Bette Davis is in a scene she's the one we're observing. All eyes are on her, on every move and expression she makes.

by Anonymousreply 164October 10, 2021 2:21 AM

R163, Indeed they did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 10, 2021 2:24 AM

R164 Not when I'm on-screen with her.

by Anonymousreply 166October 10, 2021 6:16 AM

Interesting perspective

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167October 10, 2021 1:56 PM

[quote]Movie stars reflect their time. Audiences adopt them and decide who is a star.

This is not true r105

At a certain point in time it became Hollywood shoving people at the public, putting one or two actors in everything whether we liked them or not. Gosling was one of those actors, so was Bradley Cooper.

Hollywood became so low risk they just won't look for real talent in writing or acting.

by Anonymousreply 168October 10, 2021 1:59 PM

r119 Roberts is all teeth and hair with beady eyes and no figure.

While hair was very important in the Golden Age, so was a more womanly figure and no one had big horse teeth.

by Anonymousreply 169October 10, 2021 2:04 PM

Maggie Gyllenhaal in the silent picture days. Her looks just scream roaring 20's.

by Anonymousreply 170October 10, 2021 2:09 PM

Interesting, R168. Not sure I completely agree, but you are correct re: Ryan Gosling.

The powers that be determined that he would be a leading man and worked strenuously to do so (including that whole "Hey girl," sexy meme from years ago that felt incredibly manufactured). The reality is that he is yet another critically praised actor who doesn't connect with wide audiences in any meaningful way. For every LA LA LAND, he's headlined some epic (and forgotten) bombs, like the BLADE RUNNER reboot and FIRST MAN.

I do find him (unconventionally) attractive and talented but I think most audiences don't care for him.

by Anonymousreply 171October 10, 2021 3:02 PM

My parents were always comparing contemporary stars (Circa 1970s and ‘80s, Dustin Hoffman etc.) to Lana and Ava and even Linda Darnell and Yvonne DeCarlo and Arlene Dahl. Same with men: Ty Power and Guy Madison and Rock Hudson. Stars were scouted based on their looks, then groomed. No comparison to the modern system.

by Anonymousreply 172October 10, 2021 3:07 PM

According to this source, the Ryan "Hey Girl" started with... a guy. (Back around 2010!)

Then JEZEBEL hopped on board. Big surprise.

I def think Ryan's people had a hand in it, regardless. It's been years since I've seen one of these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173October 10, 2021 3:07 PM

R170, he looks scream UGLAY.

by Anonymousreply 174October 10, 2021 3:25 PM

I would even add Jude Law to that list r171. I remember him coming out of nowhere then, being everywhere only to fizzle out because the public wasn't interested.

Some people won't want to admit it but Julia was also part of the "shoved in our faces" campaign to make us love her. Her first big movies were Mystic Pizza then Steel Magnolia's. Steel Magnolia's was a huge movie but not because of Julia, if some other girl had played that part it would not have diminished the movie but it gave the studio a reason to keep pushing her and was followed by even more popular Pretty Woman. Legit hits, she lived on that popularity for a long long long time. Because it was followed by :

Flatliners

Sleeping With The Enemy

Dying Young

Hook

The Pelican Brief

I Love Trouble

Ready To Wear

Something To Talk About

Mary Reilly

A string of just okay to meh to just plain bad.

She got a lot of chances and it looked like no effort by the studios to develop better talent. She's not trash but she not so good that she deserved to be the only game in town.

by Anonymousreply 175October 10, 2021 3:44 PM

Butch Julia.

Never noticed that she can/could be somewhat androgynous. She looks like a young boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176October 10, 2021 3:49 PM

Was it Chris Rock who called out Jude Law for being so over-exposed in some many films, with most of them tanking at the box-office, when he hosted the Oscars? Mr. Law did not look amused, and I don't think the joke went over very well, even though it was rather true.

by Anonymousreply 177October 10, 2021 4:58 PM

Mind you, I didn't mind Jude Law exposing himself, and he's actually a talented actor, but it's not like the public was demanding to see him star in films.

by Anonymousreply 178October 10, 2021 5:00 PM

Chris Rock hosted the 2005 Oscarcast, and Jude Law had starred in five movies in 2004 - leading roles in I ❤ Huckabees, Alfie, Closer, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and a supporting role in The Aviator - only the last was moderately successful, all the others bombed.

by Anonymousreply 179October 10, 2021 5:14 PM

George Clooney had the looks for classic Hollywood. Daniel Craig could have been a bad guy in 1930s flicks.

by Anonymousreply 180October 10, 2021 5:35 PM

R177, Minutes later, an obviously angry Sean Penn came on to present and put Chris Rock in his place with a few choice remarks.

by Anonymousreply 181October 10, 2021 5:44 PM

Jimmy Cagney was a bad guy, except when he wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 182October 10, 2021 5:55 PM

Chalamet = Sabu

by Anonymousreply 183October 10, 2021 5:57 PM

R182, Jimmy Cagney was hardly a handsome man.

by Anonymousreply 184October 10, 2021 6:19 PM

Kathleen Turner, back in the 1980s especially, looked like an old-style Hollywood goddess.

by Anonymousreply 185October 10, 2021 6:37 PM

[Quote] Jimmy Cagney was hardly a handsome man.

Neither is Daniel Craig. Bogart wasn't handsome in his Hollywood years either.

by Anonymousreply 186October 10, 2021 6:37 PM

1940s Timothee Chalamet would have been one of the background Bowery Boys. He would have been called "Lenny" or "Morrie."

by Anonymousreply 187October 10, 2021 6:47 PM

Craig isn't traditionally handsome, but he is sexy and has a very fit bod, which he hasn't been afraid to expose on occasion. But yes, he'd be a bad guy in the studio system. Maybe a sexy bad guy, too.

by Anonymousreply 188October 10, 2021 6:50 PM

Would Billy Zane be a leading man?

by Anonymousreply 189October 10, 2021 6:55 PM

Daniel Craig is definitely handsome.

by Anonymousreply 190October 10, 2021 8:29 PM

R189, I envision a studio trying to make Billy Zane a star in the 40s (he'd be billed as William Zane) but soon dropping to B pictures and eventually Z pictures in the 50s like Attack of the Monster Earthworms.

by Anonymousreply 191October 10, 2021 8:35 PM

Our current actors of color probably wouldn't have fared well back then.

by Anonymousreply 192October 10, 2021 8:40 PM

[Quote] Our current actors of color probably wouldn't have fared well back then.

I think Brad Pitt would do just fine.

by Anonymousreply 193October 10, 2021 8:45 PM

R192 Penelope Cruz as a Lupe Valez type. Certainly Benicio Del Toro and Edward James Olmos in 1960s westerns.

by Anonymousreply 194October 10, 2021 8:50 PM

R187 Maybe even “raghead”— but in a joshing way.

by Anonymousreply 195October 11, 2021 5:36 AM

Daniel Craig is handsome.

I mean how did Spencer Tracy become a leading man? I guess because he was seldom a conventional romantic lead. He was opposite Loretta Young in "A Man's Castle" where he was borderline abusive. Then he was in "Libeled Lady" where he had none of the charm Gable would have brought to the part of the incorrigible newspaperman.

I see Tracy as a solid character man still can't figure out how he got leading man chops. Maybe he just got to be lead playing priests and stuff.

by Anonymousreply 196October 11, 2021 2:06 PM

Brad Pitt would have done just fine in the 1950s onward, when it kind of shifted from men to boys in leads (although there were still classic leading men). Not so sure about the 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 197October 11, 2021 2:07 PM

Tracy seemed to be more of a leading man with Hepburn. They have amazing onscreen chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 198October 11, 2021 4:08 PM

I wonder if Jason Momoa could have played Jon Hall sort of roles - without the long hair, of course.

by Anonymousreply 199October 11, 2021 4:35 PM

True R198 but their first film together was in 1942. He was one of MGM's major leading men throughout the thirties - the other two were Gable and William Powell. Obviously others but those were the top three.

by Anonymousreply 200October 11, 2021 9:30 PM

Robert Montgomery was quite a big star at MGM during the 1930s too, though I think some of his acting style hasn't aged that well. Spencer Tracy won two consecutive Oscars in the late 30s, so he was up there too, along with character leading star Wallace Beery.

by Anonymousreply 201October 11, 2021 9:45 PM

George Raft?

by Anonymousreply 202October 11, 2021 10:32 PM

George Raft I believe was mainly at Warner Brothers, known for gangster films and Busby Berkeley musicals in the 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 203October 11, 2021 11:58 PM

All post-2000 S.A.G. members, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 204October 12, 2021 12:56 AM

[quote]I see Tracy as a solid character man still can't figure out how he got leading man chops. Maybe he just got to be lead playing priests and stuff.

See r196 there's this thing called acting and some people are really really good at it and that makes people want to watch them no matter what they look like.

by Anonymousreply 205October 12, 2021 1:08 AM

Watched Tracy in "Tortilla Flat" and he was pretty bad, terrible accent. Of course, his character was pretty hateful. The usually wonderful John Garfield was miscast. The best performances were Hedy Lamarr (surprisingly) and not surprisingly, but very differently than his usual roles, Frank Morgan. Oh, his dogs, including the one who played Toto in "Wizard of Oz" are pretty terrific too. The movie play pretty badly nowadays though.

by Anonymousreply 206October 12, 2021 1:27 AM

I went on an MGM watching binge a year or so ago, on youtube, so came across some lesser known Tracys. And that's characteristic. A lot of times he was pretty hateful. Maybe he was supposed to be in Tortilla Flats (didn't see it) but he didn't have charm.

by Anonymousreply 207October 14, 2021 8:33 PM

Spencer Tracy in "Fury" was unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 208October 14, 2021 9:43 PM

Ezra Miller or Adam Driver. The latter may have been successful in horror films but not as a leading man.

by Anonymousreply 209October 14, 2021 11:49 PM

Ethan Hawke and Cillian Murphy - I don't see their faces in a Golden Age movie.

by Anonymousreply 210October 15, 2021 3:02 AM

I could see Josh Hartnett in old westerns.

by Anonymousreply 211October 15, 2021 3:03 AM

What about Keanu? Could he have made it in Old Hollywood? Maybe with a haircut.

by Anonymousreply 212October 15, 2021 3:05 AM

Perhaps in Robert Taylor roles. He couldn't act too well either. Taylor doesn't seem so handsome like they all go on about him though.

by Anonymousreply 213October 15, 2021 3:44 AM

I can see Josh Hartnett as a teen sidekick like Dan in "The Lone Ranger" but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 214October 15, 2021 3:59 AM

I could see Ezra Miller playing Laurence Harvey parts.

by Anonymousreply 215October 15, 2021 5:25 AM

R213, Robert Taylor's looks faded dramatically. Being a three pack a day smoker didn't help.

by Anonymousreply 216October 15, 2021 5:27 AM

Ethan Hawke looks EXACTLY like an old Hollywood movie star.

by Anonymousreply 217October 16, 2021 2:01 AM

R170, her looks scream radio.

R172, I actually think your parents were corrects, around the 70s a lot of the major leading men were not particularly good looking: Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino, Gene Hachman, even De Niro isn’t typically handsome. I guess it was an exceptional moment in time, different from before and after (think of the 90s with the emergence of Boyish looking guys as Di Caprio, Pitt, Reeves).

by Anonymousreply 218October 16, 2021 11:12 AM

Awkwafina

by Anonymousreply 219October 16, 2021 2:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!