Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's cast a biopic of the Mamas and the Papas

I am not familiar with her, but by looks alone, Allison Miller was born to play Michelle Phillips. The resemblance is strong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 18, 2021 6:41 PM

Chrissy Metz as...Michelle Phillips.

(Just kidding. You know who.)

Snack purse as snack purse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2021 5:03 PM

Beanie Feldstein for Cass, surely.

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2021 5:06 PM

Adam Driver certainly has enough ick factor to play John Phillips.

by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2021 5:07 PM

[quote]biopic of the Mamas and the Papas

Who's the screenwriter? Elizabeth Warren?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2021 5:10 PM

Lens has the beauty and figure to play Cass.

by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2021 5:11 PM

Jamie Bell for Denny?

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2021 5:14 PM

Aidy Bryant for Mama Cass.

by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2021 5:16 PM

This would be much more interesting than the Queen biopic or Elton John. I hope they do it some time soon and don’t make it a corny tongue in cheek thing like so many of them are. They have a chance to make something sort of gritty.

by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2021 5:21 PM

R8 absolutely. There was so much drama and insanity within and surrounding this group, plus you have sheer nature of these personalities, plus the intrigue about the time period and culture—it could make for a fantastic film in the right hands. I could (unfortunately) envision Lifetime doing a version and absolutely butchering it though.

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2021 5:27 PM

[quote]Allison Miller was born to play Michelle Phillips. The resemblance is strong

I could play Mama Cass

by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2021 5:36 PM

If it were the 80s I always thought Teresa Russell had a bit of a Michelle Phillips vibe going.

by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2021 5:38 PM

[quote]I could play Mama Cass —Mindy Cohn

Actually she could,. Mama Cass Elliot had a genuine sweetness about her that snack purse doesn't have.

Maybe Kelly Clarkson? She she has the sweetness part down but I don't think she really has any acting experience unless you count From Justin To Kelly. 😨

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2021 5:41 PM

Ellen Degeneres to play Denny. Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2021 5:41 PM

Aussie actress Isabel Lucas resembles Michelle a lot, and already seems pretty intent on dressing in that 60s/70s hippie style (going off her social media etc).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2021 5:42 PM

Cass was very Jewish looking. Chelsea Peretti?

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2021 5:46 PM

Paul Dano as Denny.

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2021 5:53 PM

Aidy would be great as Mama Cass. As someone else said, she had a sweet quality that endeared her to a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2021 6:00 PM

They have to include this performance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2021 6:02 PM

Julia Stiles, 20 years ago, coulda been Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2021 6:03 PM

Whoever plays Cass will no doubt be a shoe in for an Oscar nom if it’s done right, there was so much talent there.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2021 6:05 PM

Cass is also the more interesting and tragic part. That and John Phillips as the villain.

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2021 6:09 PM

Remember when Carnie Wilson wanted to do it?

by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2021 6:10 PM

No , Michelle was the real fuse in that group. She turned them all against her at some point. She was replaced in the band by Jill Gibson, and had affairs all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 23October 6, 2021 6:13 PM

It would have to be a miniseries to include everything. If they made a movie, then they should just concentrate on when they kicked Michelle out of the group. John forcing Cass and Denny to sign the letter. Michelle losing faith In herself. The PR people nervous because Michelle was an extremely popular member of the group.

Beanie Feldstein should be immediately trying to secure the rights to the story of Mama Cass. It would be a more interesting project for her than flopping in a Barbra Streisand musical.

by Anonymousreply 24October 6, 2021 6:16 PM

How about a biopic when they are recording “people like us” and all hating the experience. They can tell the story in flashback showing how they got to this point of misery where they are as Michelle put it just people contractually obligated to do this awful album.

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2021 6:21 PM

The girl from Precious should portray Cass Eliott in white face.

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2021 6:23 PM

[quote]Aidy would be great as Mama Cass.

JEWFACE! JEWFACE! JEWFACE!

by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2021 6:23 PM

For sure cass will have the meatier role, no pun intended. She’ll have her heartbreak over Denny, her reaction to the creeque alley reference to her weight, and yet also her undeniable talent and her interactions with others at the time like Joni Mitchell, jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin…

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2021 6:24 PM

There is no one around today interesting or talented enough to play these characters.

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2021 6:26 PM

I'd hate if they had a rollcall of cameos.

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2021 6:27 PM

[quote] her reaction to the creeque alley reference to her weight

The “getting fat” reference meant that she was making money. At the time the Mamas & Papas formed, Cass was the only one making a living off her music.

by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2021 6:41 PM

I always thought, at one time, that Kate Bosworth would have made a good Michelle Phillips. She was never a great actress, but she was okay in some roles. In retrospect, I don't know if she could've pulled it off. Now, she's far too old, anorexia-riddled, and busy whoring herself for high fashion brands to do it. Allison Miller looks more like Michelle. In some photos, the resemblance is uncanny—but can she act?

by Anonymousreply 32October 6, 2021 6:43 PM

[Quote] The “getting fat” reference meant that she was making money. At the time the Mamas & Papas formed, Cass was the only one making a living off her music.

And what about "Everybody's getting fat except Mama Cass"?

by Anonymousreply 33October 6, 2021 6:44 PM

Kate bosworth never! She’s more young Linda evans than young Michelle Phillips.

by Anonymousreply 34October 6, 2021 6:45 PM

Lens Dunham IS The Ham Sandwich

by Anonymousreply 35October 6, 2021 6:47 PM

Kelly Clarkson as Cass would actually be great if she could pull off the drama. She doesn't really look like Cass, but she has the sweetness about her, as well as, potentially more importantly—she can sing.

by Anonymousreply 36October 6, 2021 6:51 PM

[quote] And what about "Everybody's getting fat except Mama Cass"?

Michelle, Denny and John formed the group and we’re headed for stardom while Cass was still playing Greenwich Village clubs for what she got when they passed the hat.

Sebastian and Zal formed the Spoonful

Michelle, John, and Denny gettin' very tuneful

McGuinn and McGuire just a catchin' fire

In L.A., you know where that's at

And everybody's gettin' fat except Mama Cass

by Anonymousreply 37October 6, 2021 6:55 PM

They should do a Laurel canyon anthology series where each series is based on a Laurel canyon figure. But please don’t let Ryan Murphy touch this!!

by Anonymousreply 38October 6, 2021 7:04 PM

Didn't they already do one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 6, 2021 7:07 PM

John Mayer as John Phillips.

Donovan Leitch Jr in a walking role as Donovan.

by Anonymousreply 40October 6, 2021 7:25 PM

walk-on ^

by Anonymousreply 41October 6, 2021 7:26 PM

Nikki Blonsky as Mama Cass

by Anonymousreply 42October 6, 2021 7:35 PM

So because John, Denny & Michelle were "tipped for stardom," they were doing better than Cass?

by Anonymousreply 43October 6, 2021 7:39 PM

Who will play Lulu?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 6, 2021 7:40 PM

Bryan Cranston *is* Ed Sullivan.

by Anonymousreply 45October 6, 2021 7:54 PM

I agree with OP on his pick for Michelle Phillips...really looks like her. Lena Dunham for Cass.

by Anonymousreply 46October 6, 2021 8:11 PM

Rachel Redleaf from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

(scroll down)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 6, 2021 8:18 PM

[quote]I could play Mama Cass...—Mindy Cohn

Actually the ladies could be the entire cast: Jo - John; Blair - Michelle; Natalie - Mama and Andy - Denny.

by Anonymousreply 48October 6, 2021 8:54 PM

Who would play MacKenzie?

by Anonymousreply 49October 6, 2021 9:03 PM

r49

Well Tootie has breasts so that's out.

by Anonymousreply 50October 6, 2021 9:23 PM

Donald Trump could play the ham sandwich.

I know that is a false meme but it is just too delicious to ignore.

by Anonymousreply 51October 6, 2021 9:27 PM

Eating a banana on stage while singing California Dreaming has to be one of the most disrespectful performances I’ve ever seen. Fuck you, Michelle. An audience deserves better.

by Anonymousreply 52October 7, 2021 1:20 AM

I'm placing my bets on the jambon.

by Anonymousreply 53October 7, 2021 1:28 AM

David Schwimmer as Lou Adler. Or is he too old?

by Anonymousreply 54October 7, 2021 1:46 AM

Feels pretty lousy to see Mama Cass still getting poked fun at for being fat or whatever. She was such a talent. She deserved more contemporary recognition, and it’s sad that she died so young.

If she had been a size 6 way back when, she wouldn’t have received so much ridicule. If she didn’t die so young, she probably would have had the type of career longevity of someone like Stevie Nicks or Dolly Parton.

That said, Aidy Bryant would fit the bill for a biopic. Dub her singing with Selena Gomez or somebody.

by Anonymousreply 55October 7, 2021 1:46 AM

[Quote] She deserved more contemporary recognition,

Did she? She went very Vegas. That lane didn't age well.

by Anonymousreply 56October 7, 2021 1:48 AM

[Quote] If she didn’t die so young, she probably would have had the type of career longevity of someone like Stevie Nicks or Dolly Parton.

Nah. She didn't have the songwriting chops or good taste in material/producers. She'd be Grace Slick level at best.

by Anonymousreply 57October 7, 2021 1:49 AM

Why the fuck would anyone seek out Selena Gomez to provide a singing voice?

by Anonymousreply 58October 7, 2021 1:50 AM

[Quote] Dub her singing with Selena Gomez or somebody.

Or, I don't know, have her lip sync to Cass' original recordings.

by Anonymousreply 59October 7, 2021 2:00 AM

I love Mama Cass and her welcoming lovely voice but she was not an orthodox singer or band member. Most studio artists were not morbidly obese at the time.

by Anonymousreply 60October 7, 2021 4:52 AM

Years ago on some forum I observed that we never got to see Cass slim. I was just expressing curiosity as to what she would have looked like. I got yelled at for even bringing it up. I still wonder. But I suppose her weight gave power to her voice? She had a great sound, loved it. I think I read that she auditioned for Miss Marmelstein, the part that launched Streisand on Broadway in "I Can Get it for you Wholesale." I can easily hear Cass singing that song.

As a matter of fact, a slimmer Cass could have played Fanny Brice in Funny Girl. She had the pipes, the humor, and the charisma.

by Anonymousreply 61October 7, 2021 5:17 AM

R52 to be fair, she was probably stoned out of her mind, not to mention that they clearly were not singing live. John is miming it on the guitar, and everyone is lip-synching (not that well, either). It's unfortunate, but when you dig through the archives of a lot of these older late-night TV performances by musical artists in the '50s, '60s, and even '80s, they are oftentimes just faking it over the studio version.

There are very few legitimate live performances of "California Dreamin'" documented. There is the Monterey Pop footage, but that rendition is not so great—whoever engineered it did a real bang-up job. You can't even hear Michelle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 7, 2021 6:12 AM

That may have been deliberate.

by Anonymousreply 63October 7, 2021 10:51 AM

Maybe Allison Tolman (who was in the first season of Fargo) could do Mama Cass.

I love the Laurel Canyon anthology series idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 7, 2021 2:40 PM

In her younger years Kathy Najimy could have played Mama Cass.

by Anonymousreply 65October 7, 2021 2:46 PM

Who would play Jackie DeShannon?

by Anonymousreply 66October 7, 2021 5:50 PM

[quote] Who would play Jackie DeShannon?

Saoirse Ronan?

by Anonymousreply 67October 7, 2021 5:56 PM

ONJ tells a great story of Cass and Karen where Cass and Karen were fighting over a porkchop.

by Anonymousreply 68October 7, 2021 6:12 PM

What's an ONJ?

by Anonymousreply 69October 7, 2021 11:24 PM

Bite your tongue!

by Anonymousreply 70October 7, 2021 11:25 PM

[quote] As a matter of fact, a slimmer Cass could have played Fanny Brice in Funny Girl. She had the pipes, the humor, and the charisma.

On the other hand, she was the perfect size for the title role in "Stop the World--I Want to Get Off"

by Anonymousreply 71October 7, 2021 11:28 PM

Cass' nasality could grate. She was best used as part of a group.

by Anonymousreply 72October 7, 2021 11:53 PM

r69

If you have to ask, go away

by Anonymousreply 73October 8, 2021 12:29 AM

[quote]Aussie actress Isabel Lucas resembles Michelle a lot, and already seems pretty intent on dressing in that 60s/70s hippie style (going off her social media etc).

Yikes -- she looks more like creepy Exorcist-era Linda Blair!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 8, 2021 12:43 AM

I don't see Linda Blair at all. I swear some of you have facial blindness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 8, 2021 1:32 AM

Cass' voice was nasal? Really? I don't hear that. It sounded rich, warm and powerful to me. I would describe her style as conversational, meaning when she sang she sounded like she was telling you a story in a natural and engaging way. Lotsa personality.

by Anonymousreply 76October 8, 2021 3:45 AM

Did Denny ever pity fuck her?

by Anonymousreply 77October 8, 2021 3:49 AM

I feel like Mayim Bialik would make a great Cass if she put on like 100 lbs or wore a fat suit. Aidy Bryant isn't a bad suggestion either. Neither is Hairspray Live's Maddie Ballio. But of course, the ideal choice would be DL Icon Melissa Beth Miller, star of stage, screen and cheesy Ebay Christmas commercials.

by Anonymousreply 78October 8, 2021 4:11 AM

I always thought Chelsea Handler would be a good Michelle. Not when Michelle was in the group but older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 8, 2021 8:38 AM

Brooklyn Decker is Mama Cass. Thin girl acts fat - guaranteed Oscar bait!

by Anonymousreply 80October 8, 2021 8:42 AM

[quote] Did Denny ever pity fuck her?

No. And that was part of the reason of the group breaking up. Denny was getting tired of Cass constantly asking.

by Anonymousreply 81October 8, 2021 11:30 AM

For anyone who watched Friends, remember the episode where a woman stole Monica's identity? The actress was Claudia Shear, and if she were younger (and probably more well known), she would have been a great Cass Elliott, from her physical appearance and the way she speaks. But since she's not younger (and not more well known), this is a pointless post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 8, 2021 4:21 PM

Has anyone suggested Victoria Pedretti for Michelle? I'm watching "You" on Netflix and thinking she's really got the look, just needs blonde hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 18, 2021 3:00 AM

No. Michelle had a "dream girl" quality. That actress doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 84October 18, 2021 4:30 AM

Who’s your pick, R84

by Anonymousreply 85October 18, 2021 4:56 AM

OP's choice has more of a Michelle look but I haven't seen her act.

by Anonymousreply 86October 18, 2021 5:06 AM

Julia Roberts as Dionne Warwick

by Anonymousreply 87October 18, 2021 5:16 AM

At one point in the 90s there was talk of doing a TV bio pic with Chynna as her mother and Carnie Wilson as Cass. Michelle Phillips was talking about it in TV Guide.

by Anonymousreply 88October 18, 2021 11:37 AM

I'm gonna continue to make my case for Victoria Pedretti. Michelle was indeed a dream girl, but with an edge. The photo I posted of Victoria reminded me of this shot:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 18, 2021 1:28 PM

R88 that sounds terrible. Chynna doesn’t even look genetically much like Michelle. I still think Theresa Russell in the 70s is the closest to looking as Michelle did in her pouty moodiness.

by Anonymousreply 90October 18, 2021 4:08 PM

I will play all of the parts!

by Anonymousreply 91October 18, 2021 4:52 PM

[quote]No , Michelle was the real fuse in that group. She turned them all against her at some point. She was replaced in the band by Jill Gibson, and had affairs all over the place.

If you ever watched the VH1 Behind the Music on the M&P & Jefferson Airplane, Michelle & Grace Slick were just such unapologetic sluts. They fucked everyone & the men around them seem so bitter about it.

I didn't realize there were so few live performances of California Dreaming; makes you wonder if they were really the beneficiaries of great producing rather than great music

by Anonymousreply 92October 18, 2021 5:41 PM

I expect Michelle was so underpowered that it couldn't be hidden in truly live performances.

by Anonymousreply 93October 18, 2021 6:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!