Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Poor Glenn…Sunset Boulevard production stalled

She can’t cut a break.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222December 3, 2021 12:51 PM

No! She deserves her Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2021 4:34 PM

Barbra’s Gypsy has a better chance of getting produced.

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2021 4:35 PM

Damn.

by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2021 4:35 PM

Glenn Close IS Norma Desmond. She's going to make a fool of herself. She is not the kind of 74 year old who can pass for 50. And that's before you get to the bagpipes that pass for her singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2021 4:37 PM

Is that a picture of him or his puppet on Spitting Image?

by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2021 4:39 PM

They should make a movie about Glenn's efforts to get the film made. Pathos and HD. Yum! I smell Oscar and a laff-riot!

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2021 4:40 PM

I didn't know that Norma Desmond;s mother's character in the proposed film.

Fortunate when you've aged out of your original role.

And also sad.

by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2021 4:42 PM

Can't they make it with Emma Stone as Norma and Tom Holland as Joe? With Jonathan Groff as the bald guy and Florence Pugh as the girlfriend?

Maybe get Zak Efron in as Sessill Beedamill?

by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2021 4:44 PM

Aaaaaaaw... I know just how she feels.

Then I farted.

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2021 4:46 PM

Serious question: who is an actress in her 50s who could play the role?

Note: I'm not a purist, I don't give a shit if the actress can sing, just dub her -- Deborah Kerr, Natalie Wood, and Audrey Hepburn were all dubbed in their famous musicals and still give fantastic performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2021 4:48 PM

Well, I sing rather nicely and with a belting quality and I've done musical film before and - oh, you said fifties...

by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2021 4:53 PM

Nicole Kidman would make a great Norma Desmond.

by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2021 4:56 PM

R10... I disagree... the actress must be able to sing it.

So my serious pitch: Mrs. Michael Douglas.

My out there pitch: Cher

Kate Winslet has sung but I don't think it's a strong set of pipes. Still, I think she'd give it a real go, too.

by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2021 4:56 PM

Vanessa Williams. She's not necessarily big box office but with a good cast around her it could work.

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2021 5:30 PM

Nowadays being 50 is nothing.. G in her 70’s is fine to play Norma.

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2021 5:39 PM

Time to go to Netflix and a lower budget, assuming Webber will deign to consider that.

The major studios aren't going to bankroll a movie musical like this after the spectacular failure of CATS, which ran far, far longer on Broadway than SUNSET. Come to think of it, did the movie of PHANTOM do well? It certainly got bad reviews.

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2021 5:43 PM

After making an ass of herself in THE PROM, M would do well to refrain from commenting on this project.

by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2021 5:45 PM

She played that part nearly thirty years ago. If she tries to play Norma now it will be miscast up there with Gerard Butler in Phantom of the Opera. Baby Jane Hudson territory (and sings about as well.) She'll never live it down. Though at her age, it's probably less of a problem. I'd bet money it isn't difficult to guess the reason for Paramount's reluctance.

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2021 5:45 PM

They should have made this film in the 1990s, with DL fave Betty Lynn in Norma's role.

She was far better than Glenn.

Now they're both too old to pull it off .... unless the film takes place in the 1970s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2021 5:58 PM

I agree r19, BB was by far the best Norma and I saw a lot of Normas.

If this EVER gets made it’ll be Beanie as Norma in 2050.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2021 6:33 PM

Interesting, if they cast a POC actress, who used a lot of makeup back in the day to pass. Kind of like Merle Oberon. It would add a different kind of depth. Not to mention opening up the casting possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2021 6:37 PM

Who will play the Buster Keaton character?

by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2021 6:40 PM

Jim Carey r22

by Anonymousreply 23October 6, 2021 6:43 PM

Gee, I wonder why they’re having trouble raising the money.

by Anonymousreply 24October 6, 2021 6:43 PM

R23 make it with Jim Carrey in all the roles.

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2021 6:57 PM

Madonna would be an interesting choice.

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2021 8:10 PM

Too on the nose r26

by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2021 8:14 PM

I'll do it!

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2021 8:18 PM

After the films of Cats, In the Heights, and Dear Evan Hansen, why would Paramount stall this project, I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2021 8:24 PM

Perhaps the "no audience for it" part of it, r29?

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2021 8:28 PM

They should do it cheap, for PBS Great Performances or streaming.

by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2021 8:57 PM

Why doesn't Weber just fund it himself? He's worth tons of money.

by Anonymousreply 32October 6, 2021 9:00 PM

She just played the part again to equal acclaim 4 years ago r18.,

I know it was onstage and film is closer up but G can look younger than she is. When she lost the Oscar for The Wife she looked quite young. (this year she looked older with the white hair and bad dress and da but.)

by Anonymousreply 33October 6, 2021 9:03 PM

They clearly don’t want to make it with Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 34October 6, 2021 9:07 PM

Who is this drag queen named Glenn who wants to play the part? Why are they giving female roles to men? I should be playing this role.

by Anonymousreply 35October 6, 2021 9:08 PM

There has never been a decent adaptation of an ALW musical, makes you wonder if the source material is the problem?

by Anonymousreply 36October 6, 2021 9:09 PM

[quote] Why doesn't Weber just fund it himself? He's worth tons of money.

You don’t get (and stay) rich by putting your own money in the show.

by Anonymousreply 37October 6, 2021 9:10 PM

Lady Gaga is actually the right age for it. She can sing the songs and she would be good for the box-office.

Glenn is too old at this point.

by Anonymousreply 38October 6, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote]There has never been a decent adaptation of an ALW musical, makes you wonder if the source material is the problem?

If you mean movies, I mostly agree. The movie version of Jesus Christ Superstar still holds a place in my heart.

The TV version of Jesus Christ Superstar was spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 39October 6, 2021 9:12 PM

I’m ready for my closeup Mr. Lloyd Webber

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 6, 2021 9:13 PM

She looked like hell, R33. This thing gets one shot - and it's a bit of a mixed bag anyway, so kind of a hard sell - it should not fail on the altar of Glenn Close's ambitions or delusions. No denying, fun to see a movie star perform live. That was her principal talent. Petula Clark did the same thing in her own way. On a comparative basis, Close was not the best, what she managed was to act out Carol Burnett's version with a straight face. But technically, she was not LuPone or Buckley or Paige or anyone with a proper set of pipes.

I'd bet money some day there'll be a piece in Vanity Fair about the industry's dread/amusement Close would pull this off. Sextette meets Gerard Butler.

by Anonymousreply 41October 6, 2021 9:13 PM

They should cast Hannah Waddingham. She’s gained in popularity through Ted Lasso.

Glenn can do a cameo as Hogeye.

by Anonymousreply 42October 6, 2021 9:16 PM

[quote]Petula Clark did the same thing in her own way.

I saw Petula Clark in SB and thought she was great.

by Anonymousreply 43October 6, 2021 9:16 PM

I saw Pet Clarke as well. I thought she acted too girlish.

by Anonymousreply 44October 6, 2021 9:19 PM

Hogeye most recently...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 6, 2021 9:19 PM

Back in the day... the ship has sailed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 6, 2021 9:19 PM

Can an actress in her 20s pull it off?

by Anonymousreply 47October 6, 2021 9:24 PM

The whole plot of the story is that she hasn't gotten too old for films.

It is supposed to be repulsive to the girlfriend when she founds out the guy is sleeping with Norma.

In a way that works for Glenn. Having a thirtysomething guy sleep with a 50 year old wouldn't be that shocking nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 48October 6, 2021 9:27 PM

^^oops make that too old for films

by Anonymousreply 49October 6, 2021 9:28 PM

oops again make it has gotten too old for films

by Anonymousreply 50October 6, 2021 9:39 PM

I watched her Finding Your Roots with HL Gates last night on PBS. She shared the hour with John Waters - both had interesting ancestry. Glenn is an 8th cousin to Diana Spencer.

by Anonymousreply 51October 6, 2021 9:47 PM

Jesus, r45, she looks like Ma Joad.

by Anonymousreply 52October 6, 2021 10:00 PM

Sunset Boulevard is described as Hollywood at its best showing Hollywood at its worst. The point of the story is not her age, it's that she peaked twenty years prior, feels like nothing without what she was, so is plotting a (delusional) comeback that nobody wants because she doesn't sell. The relationship, the whole story, isn't about age or age difference it is about the cruel realities of fame and movie making.

by Anonymousreply 53October 6, 2021 10:03 PM

R45... yes. It's sad she's clinging to this. She's a talented actress with an impressive body of work. But she cannot play 50 and 74. It's laughable and she will be laughed at. It's a great story and the musical, while imperfect, is an interesting interpretation of a classic film. If they're going to do it, it should be done properly, not doomed for failure with a meta miscast.

by Anonymousreply 54October 6, 2021 10:07 PM

This will never get made. All of ALW's musicals have bombed as films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 6, 2021 11:03 PM

I can’t wait to see Glenn “Get jiggy with it” again on the Oscars

by Anonymousreply 56October 6, 2021 11:07 PM

R55, that’s true! Never thought of that

by Anonymousreply 57October 6, 2021 11:07 PM

Drats, and she looks so tailored and sophisticated there in her tux and bowtie in the Weber story photo, too... :(

by Anonymousreply 58October 6, 2021 11:12 PM

R38 is correct. This stupid musical ain't getting made into a movie with out Lady Gaga.

If she says she wants to do it, the money will appear. Otherwise... nuthin'.

by Anonymousreply 59October 6, 2021 11:31 PM

R39 Really?

This is so bad it's funny.

The Pharisees should have had tap shoes though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 7, 2021 1:33 AM

Sunset on Sunset!

by Anonymousreply 61October 7, 2021 1:50 AM

The ONLY reason this would get made into a movie is Glenn Close.

Others would be good in it but no studio will waste money on a musical now

by Anonymousreply 62October 7, 2021 12:21 PM

Glenn Close is box office?

It might be made for posterity, but never for profit.

by Anonymousreply 63October 7, 2021 12:41 PM

It has just two good songs. The show hardly made profit on Broadway. Swanson was a legendary silent movie star. There are no real movie stars under 70 anymore.

by Anonymousreply 64October 7, 2021 12:53 PM

Actually, it lost money on Broadway. Baba Wawa was among the investors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 7, 2021 1:01 PM

R60 - I said it held a place in my heart. I didn't claim it was a great movie. But I enjoy a lot of movies that aren't considered great.

by Anonymousreply 66October 7, 2021 2:50 PM

Well I’m available to give her a non-competitive Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 67October 7, 2021 2:54 PM

Holy shit, I'm not exaggerating when I point out a Sunset Boulevard adaptation has been in development my entire adult life, and I'm approaching 40. I thought the Broadway version was well-received. Why wasn't it just adapted for the screen with a few new songs shortly after she won her Tony?

Who wants to see this shit anymore? Last year I watched the original for the first time, and it still holds up extremely well. It doesn't need to be defiled by Andrew Lloyd Weber songs.

by Anonymousreply 68October 7, 2021 3:23 PM

Perhaps if Barbra is playing Betty it will be made!

by Anonymousreply 69October 7, 2021 3:26 PM

I think if they honestly did a remake as just a movie--no musical elements--Glenn could pull this off. No one wants to see Glenn singing, but perhaps shaking her ass and waddling down some stairs...then, yes. We can invest.

by Anonymousreply 70October 7, 2021 3:31 PM

Just for random comparison

Phantom opened on Broadway in 1988 and was released as a movie in 2004

Into The Woods opened in 1987 and was made into a movie in 2014

Grease opened in 1972 and hit screens in 1978

by Anonymousreply 71October 7, 2021 3:33 PM

It seems odd that Bernadette Peters was never cast in this show. She actually looks like a silent film actress, which Glenn, Patti and Betty never did. She also has the vulnerability needed for the audience to care about her. I also think her voice fits the theme of the songs the best. Missed opportunity, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 7, 2021 4:25 PM

[quote] It seems odd that Bernadette Peters was never cast in this show.

Bernadette isn’t a belter. Most Lloyd Webber music depends on the actors having a very strong belt.

If Sunset Boulevard was written years ago, it would have been given to Ethel Merman rather than Mary Martin.

by Anonymousreply 73October 7, 2021 5:08 PM

Bernadette's voice sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard at this point.

Please don't give Bway producers any ideas

by Anonymousreply 74October 7, 2021 5:20 PM

Andrew gives his own verdict on the movie adaptations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 8, 2021 1:58 AM

He could take more responsibility on who he sells the firm rights to his work to. Try talent and class over dollars. Joel Schumacher? Really?

by Anonymousreply 76October 8, 2021 2:07 AM

^ Film rights, not firm rights. Guess it's time for me to go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 77October 8, 2021 2:09 AM

R77 I move into Americanisms later in the evening usually. Movies (rather than Films) is more likely to be picked up if you spell it incorrectly

by Anonymousreply 78October 8, 2021 2:15 AM

R56 That was probably the final nail in the coffin for Paramount

by Anonymousreply 79October 8, 2021 2:18 AM

How about Michelle Pfeiffer? And she can actually sing!

by Anonymousreply 80October 8, 2021 2:31 AM

Even the best song in Sunset Boulevard is a dud.

by Anonymousreply 81October 8, 2021 3:41 AM

The problem with Sunset the musical is that the only good parts are when Norma is onstage. (and she's not on the whole time.)

The whole rest of the Joe story just drags.

by Anonymousreply 82October 8, 2021 5:08 AM

Did somebody say drag?

by Anonymousreply 83October 8, 2021 5:56 AM

[quote] And she can actually sing!

r80 where has she demonstrated that?

In Fabulous Baker Boys she's just ok. Easy to believe she's a lounge act. Her Evita audition tape is weak and in Grease 2 she is amplified or adjusted a whole lot.

by Anonymousreply 84October 8, 2021 6:00 AM

If Joe is the box-office name, then you can get away with someone merely recognizable in the role of Norma - especially if she can sing and act the fuck out of the role.

Maria Doyle Kennedy would be captivating, heartbreaking and frightening all at once.

She sings (The Commitments)

She’s recognizable (Orphan Black, Downton Abbey)

And the right age - 57

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 8, 2021 6:21 AM

nah r85 they tried that in the first national tour with Linda Balgord and they died a quick death

Norma has to be a star (no one else will take the role anyway for fear of being compared with Glenn. That's what happened on Broadway. When Glenn was gone the show limped around at the box office and got mixed reviews for the replacements. Yes Buckley and Paige could sing the songs better but they weren't the incredible event Close was. )

by Anonymousreply 86October 8, 2021 6:39 AM

So sad. I’m just finishing the next draft of Gypsy for a planned Fall 2025 start.

by Anonymousreply 87October 8, 2021 6:45 AM

Catherine Zeta Jones could do it . ALW trolled Madonna about playing Norma.

by Anonymousreply 88October 8, 2021 7:04 AM

The original Broadway production was so overproduced is why it lost money. But boy did it show onstage. Such a huge, lush, glorious set and costumes to match. Big band in the pit too which we never see anymore. Shame it was all wasted on an ALW show.

by Anonymousreply 89October 8, 2021 7:42 AM

I think it adds resonance if Norma is played by a veteran star -- part of the kick with Gloria Swanson in the original is that she herself was a silent film star, giving the performance extra layers. So having Glenn Close or Michelle Pfeiffer in the part adds something that a largely unknown performer can't offer.

by Anonymousreply 90October 8, 2021 1:34 PM

[queer]I think it adds resonance if Norma is played by a veteran star

I can appreciate that, but part of that appeal is that you think you recognize her - like Joe says, himself.

There would be no mistake you’re seeing Glenn or Michelle.

I just thought they could get away with it having you think to yourself, “I know her from somewhere.”

Especially if the actress playing Norma was an excellent singer and dynamic actress, as well as age-appropriate.

—R85

by Anonymousreply 91October 8, 2021 1:46 PM

Hahahaha

I don’t know how queer got inserted for quote and I missed it.

Sorry! 😂

by Anonymousreply 92October 8, 2021 1:52 PM

[quote] where has she demonstrated that?

R84, Michelle sounded great on the original version of "When You Believe" from "The Prince of Egypt."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 8, 2021 1:53 PM

I'm available....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 8, 2021 1:59 PM

Seriously, let's do lunch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 8, 2021 2:01 PM

Buckley I think delivered the performance LuPone could have delivered had she been given the reworked New York show. Buckley delivers the best interpretation of any, in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 96October 8, 2021 2:04 PM

Bitch please! Mr. Webber needs a real talent!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97October 8, 2021 2:06 PM

[quote]Poor Glenn…Sunset Boulevard production stalled

I hear so far they’ve been unable to meet Glenn’s demands.

They can’t seem to locate the same stagehand to whom she would give blowies mid-performance each night behind the set piece before her next entrance.

by Anonymousreply 98October 8, 2021 2:14 PM

[quote] In Fabulous Baker Boys she's just ok. Easy to believe she's a lounge act. Her Evita audition tape is weak and in Grease 2 she is amplified or adjusted a whole lot.

Nothing wrong with ‘amplified and adjusted’ especially for a Hollywood musical, as long as it doesn’t sound auto-tuned.

I vote for Pfeiffer too. Can we sign a petition or something?

by Anonymousreply 99October 8, 2021 3:12 PM

Courtney Love, of course.

by Anonymousreply 100October 8, 2021 3:56 PM

I saw Buckley sing it on Bway and, yes, she was great. The musical as a whole, however, was forgettable

by Anonymousreply 101October 8, 2021 4:00 PM

Pfeiffer has a slight, wispy singing voice much like Nicole Kidman or Vanessa Redgrave. It's cute and sweet, but doesn't have a lot of power. She's still one of the better choices for the role. Unfortunately, Close won't ever let it go and, by the time she's forced to, Pfeiffer will be too old as well.

by Anonymousreply 102October 8, 2021 4:29 PM

R98 Wasn't that story about Betty?

by Anonymousreply 103October 8, 2021 4:47 PM

I mentioned Nicole Kidman earlier but I like the Catherine Zeta-Jones idea too. Exactly the right age. Looks the part.

by Anonymousreply 104October 8, 2021 6:12 PM

Official Music Video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 8, 2021 6:23 PM

R104, No, I look years and years younger!! I hate needles so no way I had any injections or plastic surgery at all!!

by Anonymousreply 106October 8, 2021 6:24 PM

Eddie Page in drag. Eddie? ? Elwood? What's his name again? He's closer in age to Norma (50) than Miss Glenn Close, 74!

by Anonymousreply 107October 8, 2021 6:26 PM

The key to Close's performance is she was genuinely funny.

Tragic, over the top but laugh out loud funny. Every trip up and down the staircase was its own little play.

Betty sang the notes but she was as the New York Times said like a Norma who'd been to Betty Ford and got over most of her problems. Close was troubled with a capital T.

by Anonymousreply 108October 8, 2021 8:47 PM

Close has more box office clout nowadays than Catherine Zeta-Jones who has been reduced to tv guest appearances and Lifetime movies.

by Anonymousreply 109October 8, 2021 8:48 PM

Sunset Boulevard Dead Ends!

by Anonymousreply 110October 8, 2021 8:56 PM

HEAT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 8, 2021 8:59 PM

Betty Buckley is the same age as Glenn Close - both were born in 1947. And some of you queens are pitching Buckley and bitching about Close's age????

by Anonymousreply 112October 8, 2021 9:04 PM

[quote]Close has more box office clout nowadays than Catherine Zeta-Jones who has been reduced to tv guest appearances and Lifetime movies.

Yeah. With all seven people who saw "Albert Nobbs." CZJ has an Oscar.

Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 113October 8, 2021 9:54 PM

Really don't care if Sunset Boulevard the musical is ever done. What one would love to see in this lifetime is remake of film version. Know some famous director or person in Hollywood owns the rights, but has had them for decades without doing anything.

by Anonymousreply 114October 9, 2021 1:50 AM

r113 oscars don't really mean much anymore

Alicia Vikander, Hilary Swank, Adrien Brody.....no one cares

by Anonymousreply 115October 9, 2021 2:21 AM

I love Michelle Pfeiffer but she’s still too old for the part. Whoever suggested that battleax from Orphan Black has lost their mind.

by Anonymousreply 116October 9, 2021 4:58 AM

Gwyneth Paltrow. Renée Zellweger does musicals (why?) and is game to try anything.

by Anonymousreply 117October 9, 2021 11:06 AM

R60 That's the problem with trying to make a 27-year old musical into a present-day film.

Musicals are a product of their time and reflect the attitudes and aesthetics of the era they were created in and rarely hold up when they're made into films. Jesus Christ Superstar worked on film because it was adapted just a couple of years after it premiered on stage. But if they tried to make it today, it would like silly and overblown.

by Anonymousreply 118October 9, 2021 11:27 AM

R60 That's the problem with trying to make a 27-year old musical into a present-day film.

Musicals are a product of their time and reflect the attitudes and aesthetics of the era they were created in and rarely hold up when they're made into films. Jesus Christ Superstar worked on film because it was adapted just a couple of years after it premiered on stage. But if they tried to make it today, it would like silly and overblown.

by Anonymousreply 119October 9, 2021 11:28 AM

On a side note, straight porn legend Paul Thomas is in R60's clip playing Jesus' disciple Peter.

by Anonymousreply 120October 9, 2021 11:29 AM

R115 - Glenn cares. A lot.

by Anonymousreply 121October 9, 2021 6:43 PM

This would be perfect as a comeback role for Cameron Diaz.

by Anonymousreply 122October 9, 2021 7:01 PM

?? I don't see that for Cameron. She is not grand and pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 123October 9, 2021 10:40 PM

Pity Liza was never in shape mentally for the role. Andrew Lloyd Weber wanted her for it initially when he was still writing it (or Shirley MacLaine.)

by Anonymousreply 124October 10, 2021 12:04 AM

Webber wanted every actress over 45 to play the role. He'd have offered it to Susan fucking Lucci if she expressed interest or he thought she'd sell tickets.

He was very accommodating in working with every actress to fix the keys to suit each one's range. I doubt Faye Dunaway would have been singing in LuPone's keys.

by Anonymousreply 125October 10, 2021 12:24 AM

That's what went wrong with Sunset. Like r125 says I think Webber envisioned this being like Hello Dolly with a parade of actresses taking over the parts each bringing a new batch of fans to it. I remember seeing the list of actresses that some casting person drew up from which Faye Dunaway was chosen. It was every actress you'd ever heard of whether she'd ever sang or not. (Sally Field etc.)

Then Patti got poor reviews and Glenn got incredible ones. Suddenly it all became that Glenn was the only reason to see it since the show wasn't that acclaimed either. I would bet Miss Dunaway could have pulled together some sort of performance but the box office dipped when Close's final performance was announced. He didn't want the closure of the LA performance to ruin the Broadway momentum so he threw Miss Dunaway under the bus.

Then oddly Close became unreplaceable. The big stars didn't want to end up like Dunaway (although someone on DL insists Cher was about to take the Toronto production but dropped out at the last minute leaving it to Diahnn Carroll.)

Webber then went with his former stars (Buckely, Paige) who could sing but didn't have the publicity factor. He probably kept it running longer than he should have on Broadway hoping it would catch on.

Sad. It would have been fun if it ran for years with every faded star imaginable taking a shot at it.

by Anonymousreply 126October 10, 2021 3:55 AM

KILL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 10, 2021 3:58 AM

R126 He wanted Patti to take over from Glenn in LA. Of all people Patti he had just fired and given Glenn her part. When Patti said no he was pissed.

by Anonymousreply 128October 10, 2021 8:05 AM

Sally could have belted it to the rafters, r126!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 10, 2021 2:42 PM

Sally's not a half bad singer.

by Anonymousreply 130October 10, 2021 3:34 PM

Mariah Carey would be an awesome choice.

by Anonymousreply 131October 10, 2021 3:37 PM

It should be someone who was very famous 30 plus years ago but has been heard from since. Someone like Debra Winger or Marisa Tomei.

I also agree that Madonna would be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 132October 10, 2021 4:31 PM

You'd have to be able to sing the score.

Someone who would be an interesting choice, and has a similar look to Bernadette's, and who can sing as well, is Pia Zadora.

by Anonymousreply 133October 10, 2021 4:37 PM

It needs to be an actress who is willing to look pathetic yet create empathy for pathos, have charm and humor, for a double-edged performance so the audience can enjoy a desperate and dark character. Gloria Swanson was SO good at it and the movie is just about perfectly pitched in so many ways. And the actress should be 50 to 60 years old, TOPS!. Maria Carey yes. Some of the waxworks that have been suggested, NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Why not just book a French or Italian actress who can effortlessly pull off the elegance and sultry side of the character and can do the "French talk singing" style better? Monica Bellucci, 57yo., for example.

by Anonymousreply 134October 10, 2021 5:37 PM

[quote]Why not just book a French or Italian actress

because no one in the US would be interested and she'd have trouble getting on talk shows to publicize the film

It will be Glenn or it won't get made.

by Anonymousreply 135October 10, 2021 9:25 PM

I think that was just Patti's version that he was angry r128. He was probably just throwing her a bone after losing the NY version.

Dunaway probably was an exciting choice for him but then when the tickets didn't sell and it became apparent that people only wanted to see Close he panicked and shut the production down.

He could have handled the whole thing so much better though. Patti should have been called in and had it explained to her that group sales ticket agents had huge blocks of their audience calling in wanting to know when Close would be in it in NY and if they could switch their tickets to then. And she needed to accept that she just didn't deliver the goods in London and should have moved on.

by Anonymousreply 136October 10, 2021 9:29 PM

R135 = Glenn Close

R136 = What pissed Patti off just as much as getting fired was Glenn going around acting like she originated the role. Patti was deeply hurt by that since it was started out being her role. Also, that Close didn't call Patti personally during the whole brouhaha and let her know that she wasn't personally involved in Patti getting fired.

by Anonymousreply 137October 10, 2021 9:56 PM

Oh god, here comes the Patti fanboy, making excuses. In what way did Glenn act like she originated the role? And why the fuck should she have called Patti? If Patti did think Close played a role in her getting fired, that just shows how fucking stupid LuPone is

by Anonymousreply 138October 10, 2021 10:06 PM

They need to let go of the 'Norma is 50' thing. Swanson looked ancient and mildewy in the movie. Age 50 in 1950 was elderly.

Raise the age to at least 70 or it won't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 139October 10, 2021 10:06 PM

Glenn is terrific... but she may never get her Oscar.... if she's up for another "the Wife" or "Albert Nobbs", she can forget it... she needs a star vehicle that will blow people away... and even then she doesn't want to appear like its a coronation because the old douchebag Academy voters love surprises!

by Anonymousreply 140October 10, 2021 10:15 PM

Yeah, why would Glenn call her? Who calls a person you don't know and are replacing in a job to console them-----especially when there are million dollar lawsuits going on.

It's hard to imagine why LuPone even got the role to begin with. She complains in her book about Meryl Streep coming to see the first concert version and undermining her.

It was a strange performance. It showed why Patti never got any movie roles after Evita despite doing well in the Evita commercial. She just seemed out of place, didn't look like a movie star past or present and seemed oddly distracted most of the time.

She would have been slaughtered by the NY critics even worse than the ones in London.

She should have wrote Close a thank you letter.

by Anonymousreply 141October 11, 2021 5:14 AM

50 makes sense still today because of the Joe, the gigolo. 60 is pushing it. 70, no way.

by Anonymousreply 142October 11, 2021 5:19 AM

If Joe is fucking a 70 yo it changes the vibe, a LOT. Joe isn't disgusted by Norma physcially. He doesn't want to marry her but its no trouble fucking her.

by Anonymousreply 143October 11, 2021 5:21 AM

No one would be repulsed by a 35 year old man sleeping with the current crop of 50 year old actresses (Nicole Kidman, Catherine Zeta-Jones etc.)

People look younger nowadays. Look at Glenn at her Oscar loss for the wife. She doesn't look 70.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144October 11, 2021 5:24 AM

No one cares about a film version for Sunset Boulevard the musical. It never gets made because it would lose money. Even a TV version would have dismal ratings. Move on Glenn. I am sure there is a Hallmark role for Mrs. Claus available.

by Anonymousreply 145October 11, 2021 5:30 AM

Catherine Zeta-Jones would be perfect!

by Anonymousreply 146October 11, 2021 6:07 AM

[quote] They need to let go of the 'Norma is 50' thing. Swanson looked ancient and mildewy in the movie. Age 50 in 1950 was elderly. Raise the age to at least 70 or it won't make sense.

R139 You clearly have no understanding of the original material. Norma was a silent star in her 20's in the 1920's and the story takes place in 1949 during the filming of Samson and Delilah. There are musical numbers and songs that address these points and they're integral to the plot and characters. She couldn't possibly have turned 70 in 30 years, you fool. What are you, 13?

by Anonymousreply 147October 11, 2021 6:15 AM

Norma Desmond at even sixty or so would have been ancient at time "Sunset Boulevard" film was made.

Average lifespan of women in 1950's was about 65 years on average. So yes, Norma Desmond would have appeared ancient to Joe. Certainly not even within rage of MILF territory. Grandmother ILF perhaps...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 11, 2021 6:32 AM

Character study...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149October 11, 2021 6:41 AM

Swanson was 50 when she made SB, but made up to look "older". That being said she doesn't look like some wizened up grand-mama.

There is no reason why an actress today in her 60's or older couldn't do Norma. But that of course would depend on how well they've aged.

As someone stated in this or maybe another thread about SB great actresses and other famous (and well off) women in 1950 would have had benefit of every beauty treatment, advice and trick money could buy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150October 11, 2021 6:45 AM

"Joe isn't disgusted by Norma physcially."

Yes he is. His comments and facial expressions intimate that he's suppressing his repulsion because he's desperate.

by Anonymousreply 151October 11, 2021 7:12 AM

I mean, I guess you could argue that because it’s a period piece and people aged quicker back then, Glenn could pass, but it’s a detrimental stretch. She already got in trouble this once before when she was the oldest Nellie Forbush on human record. Another vanity musical with Glennie playing a role she’s decades too old for? It doesn’t look good. It looks desperate, and the kind of desperate that would turn off the Academy. I think she would be another flop.

Maybe do it as a live theatrical event on TV with her? People might be more forgiving in a context like that.

by Anonymousreply 152October 11, 2021 3:13 PM

I'm not sure that there is any doubt that it will be a commercial flop, it's why it hasn't been made.

by Anonymousreply 153October 11, 2021 3:24 PM

The age gap between the two of them is not a central or important theme of the story. To argue today a 50 year old and a 35 year old wouldn't repulse audiences completely misses the point of the film - and the period in which it happens- which was about the using and delusions in the film industry in the big picture and the fate of the silent legends in the smaller.

I'd bet money ALW secretly conspired with Paramount to slow walk Glenn's Heaven's Gate. Paramount stonewalled while ALW pretended he loved the idea. Glenn Close, with her widening old face, can't play fifty. She is coasting on the fumes of a performance most people have forgotten. There was no long running clamour to see the show, which did well enough but ALW saw as his next cash cow (like Phantom) according the NYT. It benefitted from the bad publicity about the Patti firing. It got a fair amount of buzz back then.

This thing has flop written all over it. Paramount, arguably, has some expertise in casting and commercial appeal. They may see a day and an actress that could do it, but it's obviously not Glenn Desmond, who at 74 is beginning to look a little foolish.

by Anonymousreply 154October 11, 2021 4:44 PM

I think Joe's disgust was with himself, not her.

by Anonymousreply 155October 11, 2021 4:45 PM

Oh, dear. Stalled.

Like her career.

by Anonymousreply 156October 11, 2021 4:45 PM

Nobody's making Glenn's SB at 74

or Babs' GYPSY at 80

by Anonymousreply 157October 11, 2021 4:46 PM

It amazes me that not one of them has thought to adapt Ballroom for the big screen.

It's as meaty a role as a veteran actress can get. It's age appropriate, it's based upon good source material, and that final number is pure oscar bait if done right (Although Streisand ruined it for her Broadway album with that insipid Jim Brolin monologue at the beginning)

But it would be perfect for Streep or Close, though.

by Anonymousreply 158October 11, 2021 4:48 PM

Maybe they could write some new songs and Glenn could play Ninny Desmond, Norma's grannie from hillbilly country, for comic relief.

by Anonymousreply 159October 11, 2021 4:48 PM

[quote]But it would be perfect for Streep or Close, though.

Which would end in either Best Actress winner or foiled yet again.

by Anonymousreply 160October 11, 2021 4:50 PM

[quote]R2 Barbra’s Gypsy has a better chance of getting produced.

What’s wrong with salvaging both projects by combining the properties?

[bold]Gypsy Boulevard: Rose’s Turn![/bold]

Rose and her bus load of kids break down in front of Desmond’s mansion and the feisty matriarch becomes the faded star’s personal assistant in exchange for room and board. (The screen legend doesn’t know all the kids are crammed in the apartment over the garage, so we can keep the eggroll/Mr.Goldstone/Mrs.Desmond song.)

Soon Rose selects Norma as her latest star to groom, and hitch her wagon to via a comeback.

I see Roslyn Kind as Louise. I know Babs is desperate to give her a job. Always has been.

by Anonymousreply 161October 11, 2021 5:47 PM

[quote]”I wish I could say it's going into production tomorrow morning, but it's not," Lloyd Webber said to Variety. "Paramount has not wanted to go ahead with it. It's not for want of trying. [italic]Glenn Close has been absolutely doggedly trying to get it made."[/italic]

I bet.

by Anonymousreply 162October 11, 2021 5:49 PM

[quote]R64 Swanson was a legendary silent movie star. There are no real movie stars under 70 anymore.

I want it to be a cheapie movie of the week with Lesley Ann Warren.

Or maybe Lesley-Anne Down.*

by Anonymousreply 163October 11, 2021 5:56 PM

Years ago, there was talk of doing this with Meryl Streep and Hugh Jackman to make it viable. But Glenn will not go of the role. She will die alone clenching her crumpled contract.

by Anonymousreply 164October 11, 2021 6:32 PM

They should just re-stage the latest Broadway version ASAP for a three night run, (with maybe a few enhancements) film it and air it on Netflix. That way they don't need to make a hundred million bucks to recoup, no need to adapt, the audience reaction will help the overall experience and we get a document of Glenn's Norma..

by Anonymousreply 165October 11, 2021 6:58 PM

Vanessa Williams perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 166October 11, 2021 7:19 PM

I thought R165 was a great solution, until the notion of grandma wheezing through it.

by Anonymousreply 167October 11, 2021 7:24 PM

A live, filmed theatrical event would be the way to go for both this and Barbra's Gypsy, but they both want it to be a major film and there's just no huge audience for these women or these stories unfortunately. If they sexed them up a bit more and actually showed the seedier side of burlesque will full nudity for Gypsy or turned Norma into an axe wielding maniac in Sunset, maybe they could get some financing.

by Anonymousreply 168October 11, 2021 7:27 PM

Seriously... Glenn Close is an intelligent woman. She knows she's twenty-five years too old to play that part. What is her problem? Is she as loony as your average movie star after all?

by Anonymousreply 169October 11, 2021 7:40 PM

It's a shame they didn't do a proshot of the original production. I really did like the mansion set in that, and they used it really well. Here's a bootleg from the fixed camera of a London preview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170October 11, 2021 8:01 PM

[quote]What one would love to see in this lifetime is a remake of the film version.

Give me his name and address so that I can administer a vicious slapping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171October 11, 2021 9:10 PM

Try that again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172October 11, 2021 9:11 PM

Close just played the role (to equal reviews to the original) just 4 years ago?

How could she suddenly be too old? Especially on film? They could do that stuff they did in The Irishman to make people look younger.

by Anonymousreply 173October 11, 2021 9:13 PM

All these years and no one (cast, crew, janitor!) has ever spoken about how Miss Dunaway's rehearsals sounded? Rex Smith must know. He was supposed to be Joe.

by Anonymousreply 174October 11, 2021 9:14 PM

Dolls I’m heartbroken for poor old Glenn

by Anonymousreply 175October 11, 2021 9:26 PM

Isn't Madonna rehearsing SUNSET BOULEVARD since Guy had enough of her? It could be her BABY JANE comeback if anyone is crazy enough to cast her.

by Anonymousreply 176October 11, 2021 9:27 PM

[quote] How could she suddenly be too old? Especially on film? They could do that stuff they did in The Irishman to make people look younger.

It's a complete mystery.

by Anonymousreply 177October 11, 2021 9:34 PM

R170 ALW may have many filmed shows in the cellar. Sunset may not have lots of demand but Phantom with its original stars in 1986 would sell well because the movie was so bad. Personally I would love to buy video of the original London production of Sunset. Patti’s high belting is superb.

by Anonymousreply 178October 11, 2021 9:44 PM

Doll at r178 I sang it in the original keys - unlike some - eh Glenn?

by Anonymousreply 179October 11, 2021 9:54 PM

R152 I'm with you. I don't know why they don't just stage this show with the original sets they used in LA and NY (which were amazing) and show it in theaters like they do with a lot of National Theater productions. It's the only way I could justify quasi-octogenarian Glenn "Where's my Fucking Oscar" Close in it.

by Anonymousreply 180October 11, 2021 10:05 PM

^ in movie theaters, that is

by Anonymousreply 181October 11, 2021 10:06 PM

R180, because no one would go see it. She should have done for HBO

by Anonymousreply 182October 11, 2021 10:14 PM

Glenn is not even pretty enough to evoke one of those wonderful faces from the silent days. On stage, from 50 feet away, she can get away with the illusion but up there on the huge Panavision screen she always looks like a man in drag. Her bone structure is not a movie star's bone structure, which it really should be mandatory for anyone playing Norma on film. As good an actress as she is, the camera always makes her features look really hard and masculine. For once, the film executives who killed the production got it right.

by Anonymousreply 183October 11, 2021 10:18 PM

Too bad I'm too young for the part. I'd play the hell out of it.

by Anonymousreply 184October 11, 2021 10:20 PM

Cate Blanchett would be ideal but can she sing? She is a star who can play big roles and will get money into this. It would be a moderate success but would bring her GG and an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 185October 11, 2021 10:26 PM

Catherine has everything required for the role - beauty, the right age, she can sing, she even has crazy eyes. She'd be a perfect Norma.

by Anonymousreply 186October 11, 2021 10:32 PM

R186 Darling, I'm far too young to play an aging movie star. In 20 years, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 187October 11, 2021 10:35 PM

[quote]Mrs. Michael Douglas

She ran into my knife. She ran into my knife ten times.

by Anonymousreply 188October 11, 2021 10:40 PM

R180 Because they'd have to pay the actors extra. This is the reason there aren't more proshots, more cinema broadcasts. It's beyond stupid and greedy, but that's producing for you. I remember there was a demand for the Spring Awakening revival to do a recording, and Andy Mientus tweeted that it couldn't happen, and basically shit on his own union for demanding actors get paid for extra work.

by Anonymousreply 189October 12, 2021 12:01 AM

[quote]ALW may have many filmed shows in the cellar.

With any luck, they'll stay there.

It is kind of meta that a 75 year old wants to play the part of a 50 year old who is trying to play parts too young for her.

by Anonymousreply 190October 12, 2021 12:14 AM

Oscars are so annoying. They keep giving me the damn things and no matter how perturbed and uninterested I act they keep giving them to me.

by Anonymousreply 191October 12, 2021 5:15 AM

Signed Frances McDormand ^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 192October 12, 2021 5:15 AM

CZJ really is the best possible choice for the role.

by Anonymousreply 193October 12, 2021 6:15 AM

[quote].Maybe they could write some new songs and Glenn could play Ninny Desmond, Norma's grannie from hillbilly country, for comic relief.

I gotta admit, this made me LOL.

Glenn Close IS Ninny Desmond!

by Anonymousreply 194October 12, 2021 6:16 AM

While Sunset Blvd is a beautiful visual spectacle, the libretto is insipid. I remember seeing this as a young kid and finding the lyrics and dialogue hackneyed. It truly sounds like some Brit's idea of what fast-talking American-Hollywood-types sound like. The opening number was a mess with all the Paramount people walking around addressing each other like you'd hear on an old-time radio program. Further, while the music isn't bad, there is nothing even remotely memorable in the score (as opposed to something like Phantom that has the chromatic theme and beats its audience over the head with recurring leitmotifs). While I get what ALW was going for, the music just ended up sounding schmaltzy and boring. The only reasons people flocked to this show were the crazy-impressive sets and the headliners; without that, it's just a big giant dud of a musical.

by Anonymousreply 195October 12, 2021 3:49 PM

R195 You nailed it. The music in the crowd scenes where you have a bunch of characters talking to each other like the opening, the Hollywood kids' party, the Samson and Delilah segment, etc., is just deadly. The primary reason the show is fun to watch is because it imitates a great movie that was so visually recognizable, it's somehow like watching it again, in color and with an orchestra.

by Anonymousreply 196October 12, 2021 4:04 PM

Ann-Margret would have been magnificent in this 30 years ago, but she's far too old for it now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197October 12, 2021 4:19 PM

I read once that Glenn had it in her original contract that she would play LA, NY and had first dibs on any movie version. Bitch will keep trying until she dies, I'm telling you. She won't let anyone else do it.

by Anonymousreply 198October 12, 2021 4:31 PM

It's a shame she's got it in her contract to do the movie version. 20 or 30 years ago, it would have been great, but it's getting sad now and there are better options for the role these days.

by Anonymousreply 199October 12, 2021 4:35 PM

Glenn is looking pretty rough in OP's photo.

by Anonymousreply 200October 12, 2021 4:38 PM

R198 Do you mean ALW made NY contract with her prior to the LA opening? Patti was replaced from NY during her London run and had contracts for London and NY before she began reheasals in West End. Now you’re telling Glenn had signed deal to open on Broadway much longer than assumed. Very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 201October 12, 2021 4:43 PM

R201 That's right. I remember when she opened in LA it was a well-known fact that she was contracted to take it to NY from here.

by Anonymousreply 202October 12, 2021 7:03 PM

I'm surprised they gave her a contractual right of first refusal in perpetuity, instead of something along the lines of "until you die or age out of the fucking role, whichever comes first". I imagine she made it a deal breaker for her to do Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 203October 12, 2021 7:12 PM

That's what I understand they did. Since the show was co-financed by Paramount, they all probably assumed the film would be a given in 2 or 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 204October 12, 2021 7:16 PM

Do an all-male update. "Santa Monica Boulevard". Kevin Bacon stars as faded porn superstar Norm Daemon. Tye Sheridan as Joe. Chaz Bono as Max.

by Anonymousreply 205October 12, 2021 7:41 PM

[quote]Since the show was co-financed by Paramount

Are you sure about that? I've never heard Paramount were involved before, and they aren't listed in the Playbill

by Anonymousreply 206October 12, 2021 8:12 PM

I came across this article from after Sunset flopped, with some interesting details.

Really Useful really was trying to become Disney:

[quote] On the way, he said, were live-action or animated film versions of 'Cats,' 'Phantom,' 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat' and 'Starlight Express'; in the offing was a theater complex in Las Vegas and an entertainment center in London that would include a live theater, a sports arena, restaurants, nightclubs and up to 20 movie screens.

Good insight into why ALW sucks when left to his own devices

[quote]'Every show that has been successful has been produced by somebody else,' said one Broadway executive who spoke on condition of anonymity because he still works with Really Useful on projects. 'And that's because everybody works for Andrew. He says, 'I'm magical' and everybody says O.K. If he would shop each project to the right producer, someone who lived and breathed for each show and not for the whole Andrew Lloyd Webber catalogue, they'd be fine.'

On closing the LA production rather than delay for Faye to improve or replace her:

[quote]Dozens of performers and stagehands were put out of work, and the investors, unconsulted about the move, lost everything. It was only after loud complaining, investors said, that they were compensated by shares in a Canadian production, though, in the end, that also has performed poorly financially.

And seems Patti's pool wasn't funded by Andrew

[quote]In another widely reported move, after Ms. Close received rave reviews in Los Angeles, Lord Lloyd Webber reneged on his promise to Patti LuPone, who had opened the show in London, that she would play Norma on Broadway. [bold]He reportedly paid her $1 million in a settlement; that million was included in the capitalization of the Broadway production, which means it was paid for by the show's investors.[/bold]

Never put your own money in the show

[quote]Hal Luftig, an experienced Broadway investor who had $1 million in the Broadway 'Sunset,' is irate at what he calls the dismissive treatment he and his money received. He cited, for example, television commercials that continued to run last week. 'The show's closing,' he said. 'What are we doing on television? Why wasn't this explained to the investors? [bold]Andrew Lloyd Webber has made over $8 million on this show, and I'm sitting here not recouping my million. [/bold]Here's a show for which a group of investors put up $13 million, and there's a total lack of concern for that.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 12, 2021 8:25 PM

[quote] Are you sure about that? I've never heard Paramount were involved before, and they aren't listed in the Playbill

Positive. I still have the large program from the Shubert Theatre, January 1994, which says: Produced by The Really Useful Company, Inc. and Paramount Pictures. I checked.

by Anonymousreply 208October 12, 2021 8:41 PM

^Well, if you checked, then it must be true,

by Anonymousreply 209October 12, 2021 8:47 PM

R208 Well that's interesting, they must have dropped out before the show hit Broadway. Guess they could see what Lloyd Webber couldn't

by Anonymousreply 210October 12, 2021 9:06 PM

r202

Patti was contracted for NYC. Glenn was at a low point in her career. She did another LA play Brooklyn Laundry just prior to Sunset. I don't think anyone thought before hand that Glenn would outshine the musical diva Lupone.

The whole story of how a movie star swept in and snagged Patti's role is in her mind. Lupone seemed like a natural for the role and Glenn was given the LA company as a bit of a risk and they figured it would be lower impact than the London production.

by Anonymousreply 211October 12, 2021 9:11 PM

[quote]Glenn was at a low point in her career

The more things change...

by Anonymousreply 212October 12, 2021 9:15 PM

R208 et al

Paramount Pictures still owns rights to Sunset Blvd, so it would be natural for them to be involved in anything regarding one of their most iconic (and profitable) work.

"I would love a film to be made of Sunset, of course, but unfortunately the rights are owned by Paramount who own the original movie and, so far, talks with them have never led to anything. And it's sad for me because I think in many ways Sunset is, I think, the most complete musical I have written, I mean in the sense that the book and the music and everything come together I think in a way that perhaps even some of the others, they don't. Anyway that's my sadness at the moment and maybe, one day, the whole thing will get brokered. I'm doing something else with Paramount because after I've done this I'm producing School of Rock on stage, and that's a Paramount picture, so maybe if they like what I do with that they'll let me do Sunset."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213October 12, 2021 10:55 PM

Is that G in the OP pic? She must've had a good plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 214October 13, 2021 2:58 AM

Glenn can pitch until she's 97! it enters public domain in 2045.

by Anonymousreply 215October 13, 2021 4:05 AM

[quote]it enters public domain in 2045.

Perfect!

by Anonymousreply 216October 13, 2021 4:40 AM

[quote]it enters public domain in 2045.

Awesome!

by Anonymousreply 217October 13, 2021 4:41 AM

[quote] it enters public domain in 2045.

Great! I can play Betty, the girl who works on the studio lot!

by Anonymousreply 218October 13, 2021 4:44 AM

'Re Glenn, she was at an event in NYC last night... The odious DM says: She'll next be seen in the second season of Apple TV Plus' Tehran, playing Marjan Montazeri, "a British woman, living in Tehran." She is also currently filming Brothers with Josh Brolin, Brendan Fraser and Peter Dinklage from Palm Springs director Max Barbakow. "

Doesn't leave much time for costume fittings and practising her scales.

by Anonymousreply 219December 3, 2021 11:17 AM

Madonna can’t act. Or sing. And how can someone with a face (modern plastic surgery abomination)like that play an actress of yesteryear.

by Anonymousreply 220December 3, 2021 12:16 PM

I saw Glenn on Broadway in both productions - the problem is the show really is pretty bad. There are only two good songs. The first time out the overkill of the set and production, the still novel phenomenon of a movie star on Broadway, as well as her performance were enough to distract or compensate for what was lacking otherwise. I know she’s not a great singer, but she acted the fuck out of it and created a Norma that was different than Swanson’s but equally believable.

Four years ago the production was very scaled down and the stunt of the orchestra on stage was at first distracting and then irrelevant - it added nothing to the show and failed as a gimmick to hide the weakness. Glenn was again excellent in creating a Norma, and her performance was the only real success of the production — but even from the balcony she seemed too old, it would never work on film. But any movie adaptation of this show would suck, no matter who plays Norma. There is also no need to remake the movie version, but Cate Blanche or Tilda Swinton could pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 221December 3, 2021 12:48 PM

^^oy the autocorrect fuck-ups. An edit function truly is needed.

by Anonymousreply 222December 3, 2021 12:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!