Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

House of the Dragon: HBO Unveils First Footage From Game of Thrones Prequel

I'm fucking IN. The footage looks good and unlike GOT, the source material is complete. It's based on Stephen and Matilda (for history buffs) and Ramin Djawadi is back as composer. Love him.

HBO on Tuesday released the first footage from its highly-anticipated Game of Thrones prequel series House of the Dragon. The unveiling took place at the company’s HBO Max Europe launch event.

Based on George R.R. Martin’s Fire & Blood, the series is set 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones and tells the story of House Targaryen.

The teaser drop comes roughly six months after production began on the series, which is set to premiere on HBO in 2022.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 30, 2022 7:50 PM

All I want is The Winds of Winter 🥶

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2021 3:49 PM

R1 I mean...same, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2021 3:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2021 3:52 PM

Look! A Black person!

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2021 3:57 PM

I’m in only if they openly shit on how the GOT show runners hit the eject button on the last two seasons and give a blood oath that it will not be allowed again.

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2021 4:03 PM

On a scale of one to ten, how much incest will there be?

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2021 4:06 PM

The trailer doesn't really show very much

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2021 4:08 PM

R6 probably 16.

R7 that's the point of a teaser.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2021 4:12 PM

All these years and HBO still can't figure out how to make those Targaryen wigs not look like shit?

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2021 4:16 PM

I really like Eve Best.

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2021 4:26 PM

I am intrigued. I did not have high hopes but the teaser looks interesting. The source material got some juicy female characters. Queen Sersei times 10.

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2021 6:57 PM

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing it. I only have one quibble: Matt Smith as Daemon? He's too ugly for that role.

by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2021 8:36 PM

I'm concerned that if I watch this I will start to really like it a lot and become fully engaged in it, and it will last for 8 seasons, but the 8th season will turn out to be such a flaming pile of dog shit that it ruins the entire series to the point where you can't even bring yourself to binge watch it again even after a couple years have gone by because all you will be able to think about is how the entire show ended up being for nothing since there was no satisfying payoff at the end, only stupid storylines with abrupt endings and established characters doing things that made no sense given their character's development over several seasons.

by Anonymousreply 13October 7, 2021 4:35 AM

I definitely watch it. But unlike GOT, if it starts to jump the shark, I won't persevere in order to 'see it through'. The moment it starts to lose my interest, thats it.

by Anonymousreply 14October 7, 2021 5:30 AM

Serious question. I never read the books, so please tell me if there are supposed to be black Targaryans…..

by Anonymousreply 15October 7, 2021 5:33 AM

Do we trust them after that horrific final season of GOT though?

by Anonymousreply 16October 7, 2021 5:36 AM

r16, I would for 2 reasons:

1. No damn Dave and Dan. The showrunner is GoT Director extraordinaire Miguel Sapochnik.

2. The story has already been written. No made up crap.

by Anonymousreply 17October 7, 2021 11:05 AM

[quote] I never read the books, so please tell me if there are supposed to be black Targaryans…..

Why not? It's a mythical place and time.

by Anonymousreply 18October 7, 2021 12:51 PM

[quote]Serious question. I never read the books, so please tell me if there are supposed to be black Targaryans…..

Who the fuck cares what was in the books? Sounds like you have a problem with some of the characters in the TV series being black? Seriously go fuck yourself you racist piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 19October 7, 2021 2:29 PM

R19 fuck off with your “must be a racist” bullshit. It is just a benign question. Stop being so easily triggered and stop labelling people as something terrible just for asking it.

by Anonymousreply 20October 7, 2021 3:40 PM

Does it say anywhere that the Targaryans were white or do we just assume that...because we assume all kings must be white?

by Anonymousreply 21October 7, 2021 3:49 PM

R21 seriously. Calm down. You are reading way too much into this. I just looked it up, and no, the Targaryens are fair skinned.

by Anonymousreply 22October 7, 2021 3:55 PM

[quote] All I want is The Winds of Winter 🥶

But I'm too busy writing up my super-important projects like "The Wit and Wisdom of Sansa Stark"!

by Anonymousreply 23October 7, 2021 3:57 PM

How many non-white people have the managed to cram into this shit? I wish this was made in the 90s or early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 24October 7, 2021 4:06 PM

R22, Fairskinned does not equal white.

by Anonymousreply 25October 7, 2021 4:07 PM

R22 please see R24

by Anonymousreply 26October 7, 2021 4:09 PM

[quote]I never read the books, so please tell me if there are supposed to be black Targaryans…..

No Targaryens were black, but there were families that supported the Targaryens, like the Velaryons (of which Brit actor Steve Toussaint is playing one) who were not written with a clear family trait like white hair and violet eyes and hence, can be played by a black actor just fine.

by Anonymousreply 27October 7, 2021 4:33 PM

This looks awful. Matt Smith is hideous and the other actors didn’t look much better.

by Anonymousreply 28October 7, 2021 4:41 PM

Was Westeros only inhabited by Targaryans at that time? The white hair does look like bad wigs from Lord of the Rings elf costumes. I stopped watching right before Ed Sheeran had his cameo (read about that he would be in the next episode) for some reason, but was planning to catch up later on, then I read how viewers hated where the show was heading and then ripping the final season apart.

by Anonymousreply 29October 7, 2021 4:44 PM

R29 If I’m remembering Fire & Blood correctly, the Targaeryons flew in on their dragons and drove the existing people out of King’s Landing and took it over, so there was a lot of tension in Westeros with various people in the North and West trying to come retake the area and kick the Targs out, or intermarrying with them to gain power.

by Anonymousreply 30October 7, 2021 4:55 PM

Targaryens have very elaborate and precise physical description, which make most of them pretty White. However the the GoT universe is also diverse and there are plenty of non-White races in it, particularly in Esos continent.

by Anonymousreply 31October 7, 2021 5:41 PM

How man extreme weather seasons into the future will this arrive? I mean.....

by Anonymousreply 32October 7, 2021 6:05 PM

Was that guy black? I just thought he was tanned.

by Anonymousreply 33October 7, 2021 8:25 PM

Who's gay in it?

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2021 1:44 PM

Also this is what the targs should look like from the book description. Live action targs look like Californians with white hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2021 1:51 PM

Black people... the third wheel of fantasy television.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2021 1:56 PM

Nah, fuck this. Not helping HBO with their GOT money grab. Never forget season 8!

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2021 2:04 PM

I can’t believe people here are upset there’s black people in a mythical historical time period.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2021 11:57 PM

I resurrected this thread because I watched the trailer again.

I think this will be primarily inspired by the Ptolemaic dynasty of Egypt. The Targaryens very much seem to be inspired by the Ptolemies.

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2021 11:59 PM

R39 Martin is all about English history. GOT was inspired by the War of the Roses, House of the Dragon is inspired by The Anarchy.

by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2021 12:03 AM

We're never getting the 6th book.

[quote]In February 2021, Martin said he had written "hundreds and hundreds of pages" of The Winds of Winter in 2020 but that even though it had been the most productive year with regard to The Winds of Winter, he still had hundreds of pages to write; although he was hopeful of finishing in 2021, he did not want to make any predictions

by Anonymousreply 41November 24, 2021 12:08 AM

R40 The Targaryens are parallel to the Ptolemies. They were definitely the inspiration behind them.

by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2021 12:10 AM

“The Winds of Winter” and “A Dream of Spring” will never be published or even finished.

GRRM will finish Truman Capote‘s novel “Answered Prayers” before he finishes his own work.

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2021 12:29 AM

I'm guessing woke HBO is not yet too woke to give up crowding the screen with marvelously well developed nakkid ladies

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2021 12:48 AM

#DRAGONSOWHITE

by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2021 12:54 AM

R44 As long as they're woke enough to give us some hot gay sex scenes idgaf.

by Anonymousreply 46November 24, 2021 1:38 AM

Martin got to enjoying his celebrity, and being fawned over. Not to mention he’s obese and with probable additional health issues. So I doubt he’ll ever finish the series.

But where money beckons, someone will surely complete it, after much poring over his notes, and coaxing from his heirs.

I mean, look at the GWTW sequel, not to mention all the further DUNE books.

by Anonymousreply 47November 24, 2021 1:53 AM

Will that cute lil bottom twink be back?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 24, 2021 2:58 AM

R48 well if it's a prequel set 200 years before the first series...hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 49November 24, 2021 3:44 AM

It will be a Wheel of Time situation, where they bring in someone else to finish Martin's work after his death. He's had what, more than a decade to bring out Winds of Winter? Nobody expects him to finish at this point.

by Anonymousreply 50November 24, 2021 4:12 AM

Pretty sure fatty martin has millions of notes on how to finish wow and dream of spring at this point, he knows nothing will please the fanbase and likely doesn't want to stress over it. He'd rather die than deal with the crazy fanbase. Lmao.

by Anonymousreply 51November 24, 2021 4:21 AM

"[R19] fuck off with your “must be a racist” bullshit. It is just a benign question. Stop being so easily triggered and stop labelling people as something terrible just for asking it."

Racists are such precious little snowflakes.

by Anonymousreply 52November 24, 2021 6:26 AM

The black characters aren't Targaryens, but their families came from Valyria, where the Targaryens were originally from.

by Anonymousreply 53November 24, 2021 6:31 AM

Valyrians are pretty much magical albino, have all the traits Albinos do. White hair, purple eyes, skin sensitive to sun rays etc. So black Valyrians isn't that much of a stretch really. There's even hobo Valyrians in the books lmao.

by Anonymousreply 54November 24, 2021 11:39 AM

Oh god, dragons? Everyone wet their pants when the dragons appeared in the final seasons of GoT. They were supposed to fix everything but in the end, all they did was suck up the CGI budget that could’ve gone to better scripts.

Now we have an epic story about a race of characters that we know dwindled to nothing in 200 years which isn’t even a long time span as epics go.

by Anonymousreply 55November 24, 2021 12:08 PM

HBO chief Casey Bloys told TheWrap during a Web X interview on Tuesday that the unpredictability of COVID is to blame for the lack of an exact debut date for the series. “One of the reasons why we were trying to be careful with declaring a date is when you’re producing with COVID — and every show has dealt with this — crew members, cast members get it,” Bloys told TheWrap. “You can shut down unexpectedly.”

Bloys said they were trying to be “cautious about declaring a date while producing a show — a huge show — during the pandemic.”

“It was not trying to be coy or anything like that,” he continued. “It was just trying to be realistic.”

Production on “House of the Dragon” has completed, Bloys said, and we should get a premiere date soon. The series is set 200 years before the events of “Game of Thrones” and tracks the arc of House Targaryen from rise to fall, using George R.R. Martin’s 2018 novel “Fire & Blood” as the source material.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 16, 2022 7:39 PM

YASSSSSS!!!! FINALLY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 30, 2022 3:25 PM

My boo Ryan Corr is in this. I’d watch it just for him, but I’m not interested in shows like that.

by Anonymousreply 58March 30, 2022 3:50 PM

OP- I'm OUT

by Anonymousreply 59March 30, 2022 3:51 PM

r9 same deal with Storm's wigs in the first 3 X-Men movies. Platinum hair is really hard to work with. The only people capable of making it work is whoever is in charge of RuPaul's hair and makeup team.

by Anonymousreply 60March 30, 2022 4:54 PM

r13 I'm right there with you. I got HBO Max to watch the final GoT season and kept it all these years. Not once an I bring myself to rewatch the show because it's almost embarrassingly bad once I think about where all the characters end up.

by Anonymousreply 61March 30, 2022 4:55 PM

Whoever did those horrible wigs should be taken out back and shot like Old Yeller.

by Anonymousreply 62March 30, 2022 4:59 PM

I can tell you how it ends: THEY ALL DIE.

by Anonymousreply 63March 30, 2022 7:44 PM

Sunday August 21 premiere on HBO and HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 64March 30, 2022 7:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!