Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Greta Thunberg’s latest speech…

Are you moved by it? Some people say it’s moving. I say it’s shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197October 27, 2021 12:58 AM

Children do not understand that adults have basically no real optimism — only what keeps them paid and sleeping at night. Sorry Greta, your red carpet is rolling up.

by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2021 3:44 PM

OP must be one of the people depicted in this sculpture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2021 3:47 PM

Greta needs to find a nice candy house in the woods.

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2021 4:07 PM

Get this girl a haircut and stylist.....STAT.

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2021 4:19 PM

How is she any different from ANY typical snarky, sneering, sullen teen?

by Anonymousreply 5October 2, 2021 4:22 PM

She is one of the most beautiful people in the world.

by Anonymousreply 6October 2, 2021 4:23 PM

Send her off to boarding school, ideally with no internet.

by Anonymousreply 7October 2, 2021 4:29 PM

Can't she just be a kid and do kid stuff?

by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2021 4:29 PM

Her eyes are dead and her face seems set in perpetual snarl.

The devil's eyes.

by Anonymousreply 9October 2, 2021 4:30 PM

She's a fanatic. Fanatics have their roles as their hectoring can push people along to do things. But only to a point when even most of the fanatic's followers get tired of the fanatic. Fanatics are not good at pragmatic change, but if they were they wouldn't be fanatics.

by Anonymousreply 10October 2, 2021 4:30 PM

r6 = Stevie Wonder

by Anonymousreply 11October 2, 2021 4:32 PM

The 'Greta Thunberg' mannequin was wheeled out like a Joan of Arc meme, and people were supposed to be 'shamed' into being good little sheeple. Only it's too late for cynical manipulations. No one is buying the "It's for the Chiiilldren!" theme anymore. Just another marketing ploy gone BUST.

150 years of climate predictions, not one have ever been right. All of them say you have ten years and ten years later another ten years from another scientist. Totally ridiculous anyone believing anything this deranged girl says, she does not even offer scientific evidence, just mouths off about nothing.

The radical left, including climate change nutjobs, are the most violent, intolerant people on this planet.

by Anonymousreply 12October 2, 2021 4:32 PM

She needs to run for office and start doing something. Twitter can call out politicians and the powers that be.

by Anonymousreply 13October 2, 2021 4:36 PM

What confuses me is, she is all talk. Or snarl. She accuses leaders of merely being actionless talk, but she seems more like a media-star talker.

If she were getting a degree in engineering or law, if she were actually achieving something to effect actual change rather than being a "climate change celebrity", I would care.

Climate change fatalism handicaps children. They will not have the mental strength to survive in the institutions where they can learn and achieve the skills and power to effect actual policy change and scientific breakthroughs to save our planet. I think Greta is a bad example.

by Anonymousreply 14October 2, 2021 4:37 PM

She’s right but people aren’t going to change especially those in power. We’re fucked and she can’t change that.

by Anonymousreply 15October 2, 2021 4:38 PM

[quote] She is one of the most beautiful people in the world.

R6 is Roman Polanski

by Anonymousreply 16October 2, 2021 4:39 PM

Why wouldn't she be snarling? Our generation and our parents' generation have almost certainly ruined our chances for survival.

by Anonymousreply 17October 2, 2021 4:44 PM

And we know this. We endlessly know this. She isn't doing anything telling us what we already know. Like R14 said, she should actually do something.

by Anonymousreply 18October 2, 2021 4:47 PM

My friend she's just a front for environmental groups like Greenpeace. The media GUSHES over her every utterance.

by Anonymousreply 19October 2, 2021 4:50 PM

Poor Greta she’s rightfully outraged but it won’t change anything. I hope she can find peace and happiness in her own life. At least she cared which is more than most people can say.

by Anonymousreply 20October 2, 2021 4:50 PM

My friend SAID she's just a front for environmental groups like Greenpiece.

by Anonymousreply 21October 2, 2021 4:51 PM

R18, and you should endlessly know this until you die. It's your punishment for destroying mankind's future.

by Anonymousreply 22October 2, 2021 4:53 PM

See, I think you WANT the world to end, and that's wildly narcissistic, R17.

It actually won't. It will get harder and less luxurious, and likely effect poorer people in poorer countries. But I'll bet you won't be as dramatically effected as you smugly hope you will be in your lifetime. Instead, you've decided you don't have to try and you can just blame others.

The rest of us will actually try to help. And survive. And probably help you too.

by Anonymousreply 23October 2, 2021 5:00 PM

She calls out older generations and is spot on.

We’ve destroyed the world, the economy, health care, food supply, etc, for our selfish needs

by Anonymousreply 24October 2, 2021 5:02 PM

THE WORLD IS NOT DESTROYED. WE will not destroy it. It may destroy us... but again, you are insanely narcissistic, R24. You literally cannot see the forrest for the trees.

We have to change the way we interact with the world. The planet will continue to exist in some organic form long after us. You are confused by a desire to be all that exists and matters. Your ego is the issue.

by Anonymousreply 25October 2, 2021 5:08 PM

I am NOT a fan of this kid, but I have to admit she is absolutely right. What’s more she is even more right than she knows. She is criticizing a generation which knew better, but abandoned the idealism of their own youth, idealism that was never sincerely held, in pursuit of rampant consumerism.

by Anonymousreply 26October 2, 2021 5:14 PM

The climate folks have been cultish, religious in fervor.

by Anonymousreply 27October 2, 2021 5:18 PM

The climate movement is a religion. There is a reason few of them are devoutly believers In traditional religion. They have eschewed traditional faith for an eco religion.

by Anonymousreply 28October 2, 2021 5:20 PM

In 3 months Greta will be NINETEEN years old yet everybody still calling her a girl or a "kid" . How long can she ( or more likely her parents or handlers ) able to maintain her childlike image and demeanor ?

by Anonymousreply 29October 2, 2021 5:26 PM

You can tell she thought that “blah blah blah” schtick was gonna SLAY.

by Anonymousreply 30October 2, 2021 5:27 PM

She is right. And she is annoying. And she's right. And she gets attention. And she encourages other young people to emulate her and they are annoying, and the more annoying they are and the more persistent they are, the more likely things will change incrementally. It's still not enough, but no one else in the English-speaking world is commanding that people keep climate devastation at the top of their minds and she is doing that. I don't really care how annoying she is. She's doing a public service. Most activists are irritants.

by Anonymousreply 31October 2, 2021 5:36 PM

When will this little NWO troll address the pollution caused by masks?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 2, 2021 5:40 PM

R31, you are absolutely wrong. Climate fatalism is fruitless and narcissistic. It accomplishes nothing.

It does not encourage young people to act, only despair.

by Anonymousreply 33October 2, 2021 5:40 PM

r32 the anti-masker troll's idiocy knows no limits

by Anonymousreply 34October 2, 2021 5:42 PM

She could stand to lose a few pounds. Eat less hamburgers baby?

by Anonymousreply 35October 2, 2021 5:45 PM

Someone slip the little troll some Valium :)

by Anonymousreply 36October 2, 2021 5:49 PM

r34 is triple-muzzled as he types LOL

by Anonymousreply 37October 2, 2021 6:14 PM

She's going to wake up and realize she's been pimped out by special interest groups who will drop her the minute she does or says anything contrary to their agendas.

by Anonymousreply 38October 2, 2021 6:17 PM

I feel like Greta would be a far more effective activist if, instead of going around making awkward, whiny speeches that don't move the needle on climate policy, she started leaning on obstructionists like Joe Manchin who are blocking critical legislation to help address the issue. Just a thought.

by Anonymousreply 39October 2, 2021 6:18 PM

When the rich and powerful take climate change seriously, I will know it is an issue. With Covid-19, they way they all cut the lines for vaccines, made me sure they were safe.

Now, even in the face of climate change, the celebrities and politicians who complain the most about it continue to fly in private jets and buy seaside property. If it was actually serious, they wouldn’t be doing that.

by Anonymousreply 40October 2, 2021 6:21 PM

R9 is the "dead eyes" troll. Everybody has dead eyes to this guy. Projection?

by Anonymousreply 41October 2, 2021 6:28 PM

R39 She is a Swedish teen. Why in the world would she know who Manchin is? The US is not the focus of the world. She cares about the planet, not about senators from West Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 42October 2, 2021 6:38 PM

I wish someone would give her a cookie and send her to her fucking room.

by Anonymousreply 43October 2, 2021 7:00 PM

Take her phone and leave her in a revolving door.

by Anonymousreply 44October 2, 2021 7:03 PM

R43- Why reward her for her abhorrent behavior. Send her to bed with no supper.

by Anonymousreply 45October 2, 2021 7:03 PM

R42 Well considering he is the single handed senator holding up climate change legislation that effects the entire world, she ought to know who he is and lobby him accordingly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 2, 2021 7:36 PM

We won't end the planet but we probably will make it uninhabitable for large mammals. We are in the sixth extinction. Some of the scientists who actually study the oceans are saying huge algae blooms could put us in something akin to the Permian extinction that led to the death of 97% of life on the planet. Big algae blooms are already starting to happen. The things that we would have to do to turn things around would not be acceptable to anyone. Green energy is a scam. It can never replace oil. without oil, a vast majority will starve. No one will be OK with that and any politician that tries will never get in or stay in office. When the planet gets too hot we will not be able to grow food. Every year for the last 5 years, each year has gotten hotter. People have their heads in the sand. Too much optimism is killing the life on the planet. We have already lost the whole bug population. 75% in the last 25 years. When you start breaking all the chains of life everything starts to fall like dominos. I doubt that Greta could handle the changes, she is just a media star. She does nothing but scream at everyone.

by Anonymousreply 47October 2, 2021 8:03 PM

That speech didn't receive half as much attention in the mainstream medias when compared to her previous efforts. Even is the message is on point the delivery is batshit crazy and does not help the cause.

by Anonymousreply 48October 2, 2021 8:25 PM

Saying "build back better, blah blah blah" certainly won't win her any favorable US liberal news coverage, and conservative media will never respect her ideas even if they do gleefully share video of her mocking Biden.

by Anonymousreply 49October 2, 2021 8:31 PM

R40, you don't read much, do you. Except maybe the National Enquirer.

by Anonymousreply 50October 2, 2021 8:31 PM

I sometimes leave my TV on when I leave my apartment. (It turns itself off after 30 minutes.) And I don't always recycle everything.

I'm halfway through my life, though, I chose not to reproduce and I drive a Y2K car a few hours about once every other week. I won't be here when the planet goes to hell, but I feel secure knowing I have done my best to limit my contribution to the damage short of killing myself.

Nothing is worse for the environment than having children.

And it's so crazy that medical researchers are actually trying to "cure aging" and that they see it as a disease. How fucking stupid is our species? Where do they think all these newborn and 200 year old human beings are going to live? In cubicles eating soylent green?

by Anonymousreply 51October 2, 2021 8:37 PM

Has she made speeches in China and India yet?

by Anonymousreply 52October 2, 2021 8:40 PM

[quote]When the rich and powerful take climate change seriously, I will know it is an issue.

So, you mean, when it's too late?

(lol)

by Anonymousreply 53October 2, 2021 8:46 PM

"South Pole posts most severe cold season on record, a surprise in a warming world" nuff said :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 2, 2021 8:48 PM

Why doesn't she go after the world's biggest super-polluters: India and China?

by Anonymousreply 55October 2, 2021 8:54 PM

I agree with her re: climate, but this wildly unappealing girl from a rich Scandinavian country has the wrong approach, IMO. I'm sorry, but no adults like being lectured to and scolded by some surly teenage girl. I don't think she's the right vessel to lead this movement.

by Anonymousreply 56October 2, 2021 8:56 PM

In that same article, R54, it was acknowledged that the polar vortexes were accelerated by ozone depletion--stemming from man-made chemicals (that are now banned). And the record high ice levels plummeted by the end of September.

And, I quote: [quote]Scientists stressed that the record cold over the South Pole in no way refutes or lessens the seriousness of global warming. Antarctica is notorious for its wild swings in weather and climate, which can run counter to global trends.

And: [quote]“In the long-term average Antarctica is warming”

by Anonymousreply 57October 2, 2021 9:02 PM

So what exactly is SHE doing to fix the climate? Is she going to school to study the stuff she supposedly cares so deeply about?

by Anonymousreply 58October 2, 2021 9:11 PM

She speaks to truth.

by Anonymousreply 59October 2, 2021 9:29 PM

She needs to smoke copious amounts of weed and-if she's of age-ride a BIG black dick.

by Anonymousreply 60October 2, 2021 9:32 PM

[quote] She speaks to truth.

And what did truth say in reply?

Always thought "speak to truth" was one of the more bone-headed, weird phrases ever uttered.

by Anonymousreply 61October 2, 2021 9:36 PM

I said it before and I'll say it again...She is being raised to become a tyrant. It's her way or the highway ALL THE DAMN TIME.

I pity the underlings who will need to serve even her slightest whims.

Drone strike for her and her terrible parents/handlers.

by Anonymousreply 62October 2, 2021 9:48 PM

She's right, it's all talk and HR feel good empty bullshit with nothing to back it up.

She also pisses off incels and mongoloids so props to her.

by Anonymousreply 63October 2, 2021 10:03 PM

Her way or the highway......she has no ideas/plans at all, just blah blah blahs everything. Piss off Greta!!

by Anonymousreply 64October 2, 2021 10:04 PM

And this is one of the problems with creating "child stars". They become defined by what they did as a child and the family keep pushing them to do it. Greta has Asperger's and although she has said in the past that it's her "superpower", someone that young and with that condition should have been removed from the spotlight, not pushed back into it.

Her metal instability - sorry, superpower - REALLY Shows in that speech and I think that's why it has been downplayed by the mainstream media.

by Anonymousreply 65October 2, 2021 10:11 PM

It’s time for her to die her hair blonde, get a stylist, put on some make up and lipstick, decent clothing and nice shoes. She needs to change your tone. Maybe if she does these things people will listen. At least straight men will find her more attractive if she does this as well.

I’ve heard this all before. Blah blah blah

by Anonymousreply 66October 2, 2021 10:16 PM

R47 dammit, I was doing so well climbing out of my latest depression k-hole. Nice while it fucking lasted.

by Anonymousreply 67October 2, 2021 10:20 PM

[quote] She's going to wake up and realize she's been pimped out by special interest groups who will drop her the minute she does or says anything contrary to their agendas.

This happened to me when I was in my mid-late teens, though on a much more minor scale and in the arts world. Middle-aged and senior hipster adults using my eagerness to perform and please and be seen as a little genius, for their own sick entertainment. It fucked me up for an entire decade afterward, leaving me with nothing at this point (I’m now pushing 30).

by Anonymousreply 68October 2, 2021 10:22 PM

Someone tell this chick that she’ll catch more flies with honey, damn.

by Anonymousreply 69October 2, 2021 10:33 PM

I wish somebody would sneak into her yurt and leave a copy of "Fully Automated Luxury Communism" on her nightstand. It would give her nightmares for months....

by Anonymousreply 70October 2, 2021 11:02 PM

[quote] She needs to smoke copious amounts of weed and-if she's of age-ride a BIG black dick.

So do I. So do we all.

by Anonymousreply 71October 2, 2021 11:07 PM

[quote]I feel like Greta would be a far more effective activist if, instead of going around making awkward, whiny speeches that don't move the needle on climate policy, she started leaning on obstructionists like Joe Manchin who are blocking critical legislation to help address the issue. Just a thought.

Why doesn't Biden threaten to fire Manchin's wife from the position he gave her?

Why don't the democrats organize anti-Manchin rallies in his state and inform the people on exactly what he's doing?

Why don't the democrats start organizing a worthy opponent to primary him in the next election cycle?

All far more effective than asking a teenage girl to do the job of an entire party of paid government officials.

Just a thought.

by Anonymousreply 72October 2, 2021 11:10 PM

[quote] he is the single handed senator holding up climate change legislation that effects the entire world

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 73October 2, 2021 11:13 PM

[QUOTE] We have already lost the whole bug population. 75% in the last 25 years.

Come down to Florida and I'll show you you're wrong inside of 5 minutes. They're fucking EVERYWHERE.

by Anonymousreply 74October 2, 2021 11:16 PM

[quote] Someone tell this chick that she’ll catch more flies with honey

But there is no honey now that the bees are all dead.

by Anonymousreply 75October 2, 2021 11:19 PM

R67 I know I'm such a Debbie downer and I kind of hate that side of my personality. the other side of me is fun-loving and I can laugh at myself but lately, it is getting harder to laugh. I am not a person that can stick my head in the sand. I have been an environmentalist for at least half my life and I used to think we could turn it around. I don't think that anymore. every year the news is getting worse and worse. I gave up my car in '99 and moved into a studio. I don't fly and I live in the downtown area of my city so I walk everywhere. I know it won't do any good but I need to be able to live with myself. I don't even know why I bother to preach as I am old and it probably won't matter in my life but I have always believed that we should leave future generations a livable planet and we are failing miserably.

by Anonymousreply 76October 2, 2021 11:21 PM

fucking idiot posting sheeple over and over again is why datalounge was on primetime for weeks!

by Anonymousreply 77October 2, 2021 11:30 PM

Greta, for 18, you don’t look for good.

by Anonymousreply 78October 2, 2021 11:35 PM

Where does she eat?

by Anonymousreply 79October 3, 2021 12:49 AM

So eloquent with the use of sarcasm, especially for an Autistic Child

by Anonymousreply 80October 3, 2021 12:58 AM

She doesn't realize the enormous f*cking privilege of being born in a 1st world country. To her view, all the developing world should just stay in their impoverished shitholes and not try to advance their economic circumstances because their attempts to enjoy even a 1/10th of what she takes for granted are ruining her childhood.

Stupid twat.

by Anonymousreply 81October 3, 2021 1:02 AM

This grubby little girl is a joke. Go home and take a shower honey.

by Anonymousreply 82October 3, 2021 1:12 AM

She needs to get her ass to school and make some kind of breakthrough that will stop global warming, instead of yelling at everyone else to solve the crisis

by Anonymousreply 83October 3, 2021 1:53 AM

[Quote] Has she made speeches in China and India yet?

Considering half their greenhouse gases are created because of supplying stuff to the western world, we need to question what we consume. We moved our manufacturing to China and India and blaming them for greenhouse gases seems rather pointless.

by Anonymousreply 84October 3, 2021 1:58 AM

[Quote] She needs to get her ass to school and make some kind of breakthrough that will stop global warming, instead of yelling at everyone else to solve the crisis.

Her job is to point out the problem.

Martin Luther King pointed out the problem. He didn’t run, become a Senator, and actually vote on equality laws. Yet we don’t wish he stopped yelling, right?

by Anonymousreply 85October 3, 2021 2:00 AM

It would be supremely ironic if the 1970s predictions of an impending ice age AND 1990s warnings of global warming were BOTH correct, and we ended up with unnaturally stable temperatures for another millennium as the two cancelled each other out...

by Anonymousreply 86October 3, 2021 2:22 AM

The Process has started

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 3, 2021 2:35 AM

[quote] Her job is to point out the problem.

Everyone already knew about it. So the real job of Little Miss Captain Obvious is just to annoy and turn off people

by Anonymousreply 88October 3, 2021 4:37 AM

She’s absolutely right.

But I can’t stand her.

by Anonymousreply 89October 3, 2021 5:34 AM

We see the problem right here. Look at all of you who hate her just because. No wonder the country is in the shape it is in.

by Anonymousreply 90October 3, 2021 7:17 AM

Al Jazeera?? The propaganda rag of homo-murdering Qatar?? On a gay board?? Seriously??

by Anonymousreply 91October 3, 2021 7:34 AM

She is completely manipulated and it shows clearly. But some will do anything to sell their ideology

by Anonymousreply 92October 3, 2021 7:44 AM

R92 Yeah didn’t her Dad basically brainwashed her with all this stuff and is basically a stage parent?

She’s a show pony.

I also believe she has some form of autism or has something wrong with her and that also fuels her passion as well.

by Anonymousreply 93October 3, 2021 8:10 AM

Poor girl, she deserves so much better than that

by Anonymousreply 94October 3, 2021 9:33 AM

I just regret I want live long enough to watch her drown.

by Anonymousreply 95October 3, 2021 10:23 AM

She probably flew into Paris in first class and stayed in a five star hotel.

by Anonymousreply 96October 3, 2021 10:29 AM

She needs good PR.

by Anonymousreply 97October 3, 2021 10:30 AM

I suppose every speech starts with 'How dare you'.

Isn't she on the 2021 Deathwatch list?

by Anonymousreply 98October 3, 2021 10:42 AM

The “blah blah blah” thing would have been cute if she was 12.

But she is 18. Either make a coherent argument or get off the stage.

by Anonymousreply 99October 3, 2021 10:52 AM

I wonder if her generation will act any differently - or if it’s just human nature. She’s screaming and carrying on at us but she’s already 19, she should be in college (like already stated) so she can interact more with her peers and join the workforce as an adult and influence actual change. Some white rich Swedish woman who didn’t even bother to go to college? Before we know it she will be 25 and then what? Still scream at the adults in charge?

Malala went to Oxford for chrissake..

by Anonymousreply 100October 3, 2021 11:07 AM

[quote] I wonder if her generation will act any differently

Hahaha, oh my sweet summer child, bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 101October 3, 2021 11:45 AM

Who needs college when she already one of the most internationally recognized face of her generation. More people in the world listened to her blablabla speech than ABBA new album.

by Anonymousreply 102October 3, 2021 3:26 PM

Watching her speech makes me so glad that I was largely sheltered from fame and exposure, as an aspergic teen girl.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still fucked up. But at least it’s only my family who knows that. Plus I’ve been lucky enough to have ten years of young adulthood in relative obscurity learning how to cope with it.

Really, I just feel sorry for Greta. She’s not her age emotionally or psychologically, so she won’t yet understand the ramifications of the gimmick she’s committed herself to. It will probably finally hit her when she sees age 30 on the horizon, poor cow.

by Anonymousreply 103October 3, 2021 3:45 PM

If she tries that shit in China or India, she'll end up either in jail or in the ground.

by Anonymousreply 104October 3, 2021 5:00 PM

Serious question: Has Greta managed to effect any change in her native Sweden? What about nearby Norway? They're oil-rich.

by Anonymousreply 105October 3, 2021 6:11 PM

R103, if you feel bad for her, why are you calling her a cow?

by Anonymousreply 106October 3, 2021 6:13 PM

Why hasn’t her school’s truancy officer come after Greta for missing so much class?

by Anonymousreply 107October 3, 2021 6:48 PM

[quote] We see the problem right here. Look at all of you who hate her just because

because she's an asshole. I couldn't believe she was yelling about Biden

by Anonymousreply 108October 3, 2021 7:05 PM

She's a teenager, she does all this in her second language, she has only a high-school education (obviously) and yet she has done more to keep the climate crisis at the top of the political agenda than thousands and thousands of highly educated scientists and researchers. She started the global 'school strike' movement and framed the issue as the debt of one generation to another. She is probably the most important activist and narrative-setter the left has today, worldwide.

And the best part of it is how she absolutely enrages all the right people. Look at all the fuming late middle-aged and elderly posters on this board. This young girl has really managed to change something, and none of you can stand it, it's beautiful :)

by Anonymousreply 109October 3, 2021 7:17 PM

Angela Merkel certainly gave her credit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 3, 2021 7:26 PM

R85 You seriously did not just compare this ugly little brat to MLK did you?

by Anonymousreply 111October 3, 2021 7:42 PM

I dunst understand the hate towards her. There's so many scumbags out there to hate or want to see die (as one comment said, they'd like to see her drown) hating a young activist is quite petty. I don't even come across info about her unless I'm on DL, which tells me there's people seeking out news regarding her to get themselves worked up.

by Anonymousreply 112October 3, 2021 8:18 PM

***I don't

by Anonymousreply 113October 3, 2021 8:18 PM

R106 ‘cow’ can be an affectionate pejorative in colloquial British English.

by Anonymousreply 114October 3, 2021 9:47 PM

English might be her "second" language, but for most Swedes, it might as well be their first. By the time a Swede graduates from high school, they've spent almost as many hours studying English (and studying IN English) as an American high school grad.

To Swedes, English isn't really a "foreign" language. It's more like an old dialect of their own language infused with lots of French loanwords. Their ancestors invaded Britain, erased its indigenous tribes & languages, then proceeded to conquer & colonize the rest of the world the same way. They're basically "taking back" a language that was theirs to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 115October 4, 2021 5:27 AM

Funny she said blah blah blah because that's all I heard the entire time she opened her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 116October 4, 2021 5:38 AM

She lacks charisma, period. I'm not against youth activists speaking their mind. I like Amanda Gorman and [italic]some[/italic] of the Parkland kids.

This one? She grates.

by Anonymousreply 117October 4, 2021 5:41 AM

R99 I don't know how.

by Anonymousreply 118October 4, 2021 6:28 AM

Considering that a sustainable environment is circling the drain as I write this, I’d expect any teenager about to inherit this situation to be mad about our bullshit as well.

by Anonymousreply 119October 4, 2021 6:30 AM

r109 Enraging people and bringing actual change is two very different matter. Honey Boo Boo and Bieber used to enraged millions of people too.

Whats she's doing is turning a serious global concern into a narcissist western-centric "look at me" performance.

by Anonymousreply 120October 4, 2021 6:56 AM

R120 Her aim is to force us to really confront the problem. I think she has succeeded at that.

Do you have examples of other environmental activists who mind their manners, wait their turn to speak and never tread on anyone's toes? How effective are these people?

by Anonymousreply 121October 4, 2021 8:24 AM

God no, R52. Just another greasy haired half tard from a B country obsessed with the minutiae of American culture and our obligations while ignoring the disastrous emissions from other countries that don’t have a quarter of our environmental protections.

by Anonymousreply 122October 4, 2021 8:36 AM

[quote] Her aim is to force us to really confront the problem. I think she has succeeded at that.

Absolutely nothing she has done/is doing is new. She is not the pioneer of environmental activism.

by Anonymousreply 123October 4, 2021 8:41 AM

She is so powerful, the force is strong with this one. There needs to be major action now. The hope is with her, the young and people who are inspired by her. Or people horrified by what politicians and billionaires, and corporations did to her, her generation by pushing fossil fuels. We could gone renewables decades ago. We had this tech in the 70s.

There is no Planet B. She is right.

by Anonymousreply 124October 4, 2021 8:42 AM

God do you even hear yourselves talk?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125October 4, 2021 8:44 AM

Autumn Peltier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 4, 2021 8:45 AM

Dl cunts are snarly about everything. There should be outrage about the CLIMATE CRISIS.

by Anonymousreply 127October 4, 2021 8:45 AM

R126, thank you for that link. I'm already more intrigued by Autumn than this little, snarling, entitled Scandinavian brat.

by Anonymousreply 128October 4, 2021 8:47 AM

Literally 5 seconds googling brings these articles up...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 4, 2021 8:58 AM

R129, if you have people who are on her side about climate change, [bold] but they don't like her [/bold], that is already a failure in optics and messaging.

by Anonymousreply 130October 4, 2021 9:08 AM

Literally five seconds of reading comprehension would show that it's easy to criticize India and China from the safety of your posh Södertälje celebrity home. Or at Davos, the most elite conference in the world. I think the previous poster was suggesting that Greta go to Beijing or Delhi and confront the reality India and China face in balancing feeding 2 billion people with reducing emissions at the same rate as countries like Sweden who have been industrialized for 100 years, especially given that India's per capita carbon footprint is still 1/4 of Sweden's. Glass houses are hard to heat in a Nordic winter.

by Anonymousreply 131October 4, 2021 9:26 AM

What was her deal about Biden?

by Anonymousreply 132October 4, 2021 9:46 AM

Meh. I neither love her nor hate her.

She's 17. I don't generally give a fuck about what teenagers have to say one way or the other.

by Anonymousreply 133October 4, 2021 10:20 AM

Greta is so woke. So brave.

by Anonymousreply 134October 4, 2021 10:54 AM

Why *exactly* does she need to go to Delhi or Beijing R131? What would she learn there?

by Anonymousreply 135October 4, 2021 11:27 AM

R135, perhaps to not be such a spoiled little Scandinavian princess who feels she can lecture the world.

by Anonymousreply 136October 4, 2021 11:38 AM

Grown men having meltdowns over a teenager who wants to do something about global climate change. Very dignified.

by Anonymousreply 137October 4, 2021 11:40 AM

I wonder what young people around her age or younger think of her, beyond those inclined toward activism? Do they like her? Or do they think she's a joke?

One of the problems that many climate change activists have is that they are so self righteous, moralizing and tend to lecture. It's very off putting and ultimately hurts their cause. I remember a couple of years ago some of them were in London gluing themselves to trains in the tube, preventing trains from leaving the station. They did it at a station that primarily serves a working class populace who needed to take those trains to get to work on time so they can be paid. They weren't having it and as I recall gave a few of the activists not glued to trains a beatdown.

by Anonymousreply 138October 4, 2021 11:49 AM

Tell her to go plant some trees and STFU.

by Anonymousreply 139October 4, 2021 11:55 AM

R138, I agree with you. I hold the great leaders provide optimism, not censure.

by Anonymousreply 140October 4, 2021 1:37 PM

R139 = Helen Lawson

by Anonymousreply 141October 4, 2021 1:38 PM

[quote] Tell her to go plant some trees and STFU.

The music of ABBA makes me want to plant a tree more than this little sour-face.

by Anonymousreply 142October 4, 2021 1:58 PM

Greta's scowl is the new 'who farted?'

by Anonymousreply 143October 4, 2021 1:58 PM

[quote] especially given that India's per capita carbon footprint is still 1/4 of Sweden's.

Please, spare us the sophistry from India and China on this.

Imagine there’s a house on your street with 50 people living in it, and the noise from the house is always FUCKING DEAFENING, 24/7, and you complain to the police.

The people in the house reply that the decibels from each person are less than the decibels that you and your partner generate so you should stop complaining.

Fine, but their house is still FUCKING DEAFENING.

by Anonymousreply 144October 4, 2021 2:23 PM

She’s 18 and dropped out of school at 14. She’s not going to be a kid for much longer (technically she’s actually an adult now). Getting an education would probably be a good idea. I guess some of you feel she’s too good for a university?

To me - she is all noise. The people doing actual work on climate change and environmental science don’t give these screaming speeches so you all are right - we don’t know their names. They aren’t as fun for the media to cover.

No one is “melting down” about disliking her - I can calmly say I find her obnoxious and off-putting. It’s not that deep. If she does it for you and inspires you - then great. Different strokes.

I’m still unclear on what she’s actually done beyond encouraging privileged high school students to walk out of class. “Striking” from high school.

by Anonymousreply 145October 4, 2021 2:25 PM

[quote] To me - she is all noise.

Exactly! She's an obnoxious privileged little brat from f'ing Sweden of all places.

And what has she done? Oooh, she posted on social media. And ohh, she made high school kids ditch class -- like that is so damn hard.

by Anonymousreply 146October 4, 2021 2:31 PM

R144, if generating noise was the only way for those 50 people not to starve to death, perhaps some earplugs and a little empathy are in order. A billion people were lifted out of poverty this century; are you going to tell them ‘sorry, go back to dying’?

by Anonymousreply 147October 4, 2021 2:52 PM

[quote]No one is “melting down” about disliking her

Just because you didn't read the whole thread doesn't mean there aren't grown men having legitimate meltdowns about her. They do this every few days.

by Anonymousreply 148October 4, 2021 3:08 PM

The challenge for female activists is getting their message across without coming off sounding like hysterical, hectoring scolds.

by Anonymousreply 149October 4, 2021 4:55 PM

For any activist, come to that.

by Anonymousreply 150October 4, 2021 4:56 PM

R148 hasn't exaggerated in a million years.

by Anonymousreply 151October 4, 2021 4:58 PM

Unless Sweden is willing to send all its euros to India and China to buy their way into a 1st world economy, then self-important teenage twats should consider shutting the f*ck up. Try that march through New Delhi instead of Davos and see what it gets you.

Moral? Don't preach to the poor to remain poor unless you're willing to give up your wealth and live in the gutter with them.

by Anonymousreply 152October 4, 2021 7:18 PM

She crossed the Atlantic in a zero-carbon yacht to save the planet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 4, 2021 7:23 PM

The shills for the oil oligarchy are out today.

by Anonymousreply 154October 4, 2021 7:23 PM

^ and she smiled. So there really is a first time for everything.

by Anonymousreply 155October 4, 2021 7:25 PM

R153 horny superficial lesbo sidebar, but Nikki Henderson is a smoke😍😍😍

Will get my sealegs and overcome my fear of the ocean for a taste of you Queen!!

by Anonymousreply 156October 4, 2021 7:26 PM

[quote] The shills for the oil oligarchy are out today.

Yes. Everyone who possibly dislikes this humorless little scold is conservative, a climate change disbeliever, and pro-oil.

by Anonymousreply 157October 4, 2021 7:26 PM

Since meeting dozens of top world leaders, getting prime time speaking slots at major international summits, and achieving global publicity for your political campaign is obviously so easy, perhaps some of our friends in this thread can enighten us as to what they did with such opportunities when they had them.

by Anonymousreply 158October 4, 2021 10:48 PM

I became internationally renowned for my sour death glare!

by Anonymousreply 159October 4, 2021 10:50 PM

[quote] And the best part of it is how she absolutely enrages all the right people. Look at all the fuming late middle-aged and elderly posters on this board. This young girl has really managed to change something, and none of you can stand it, it's beautiful :)

Oh honey, no. As a middle-aged poster I am far from enraged. I find her amusing and worthy of snark.

by Anonymousreply 160October 4, 2021 10:53 PM

R145 She's a woman now.

by Anonymousreply 161October 4, 2021 11:45 PM

What is she known for except being her? She hasn't changed anything. She hasn't done anything. She's known for being known. She's Meghan Markle with an obvious iron deficiency and no stylist. In five years she will be WHET? material.

by Anonymousreply 162October 4, 2021 11:49 PM

R153 She should cross the Pacific in a zero-carbon innertube.

by Anonymousreply 163October 4, 2021 11:56 PM

R163 I'll pray for her if she does.

by Anonymousreply 164October 5, 2021 12:00 AM

The people who she needs to convince (the Chinese and Indians) aren't hostile to her at all. They absolutely don't care. They're not enraged, they're not even listening.

by Anonymousreply 165October 5, 2021 2:56 AM

If you are a grown ass man, and you are picking on Greta. You have take a hard look into a mirror, find out what the fuck is wrong with you.

by Anonymousreply 166October 5, 2021 3:04 AM

Being a child doesn't make your childish rants immune from criticism when you project them on the world stage. If you don't want to be criticized then don't choose Davos as your forum for blathering and scolding with a limited vocabulary.

by Anonymousreply 167October 5, 2021 3:08 AM

[quote]If you are a grown ass man, and you are picking on Greta. You have take a hard look into a mirror, find out what the fuck is wrong with you.

Thank you R166. So many things to pick apart and rant about in this world, and they choose her? Crazy.

: smh :

by Anonymousreply 168October 5, 2021 4:28 AM

[quote]perhaps some of our friends in this thread can enighten us as to what they did with such opportunities when they had them.

R158 Thunberg got what/where she did because she's a useful tool for the agenda of those who exploit her.

by Anonymousreply 169October 5, 2021 4:45 AM

R169 - I think the term you are looking for is "useful idiot".

by Anonymousreply 170October 5, 2021 11:44 AM

Oh, get over it. Think of Gretl giving a speech. Think of Obama giving a speech. Who do you want to listen to? Who is going to get listened to? (And the answer does not rely on position.) Climate change can be important without finding Greta Fingerwag a credible or influential spokesperson.

by Anonymousreply 171October 5, 2021 1:21 PM

R169 Curious to hear more details about who you think is controlling her and what their agenda is.

by Anonymousreply 172October 5, 2021 4:44 PM

She is AWESOME, Intelligent, Courageous and with so much of EMPATHY. She cares about what the Climate Crisis will do to Humans and Animals.

Renewable Energy is Superior. We should have switch over long ago.

by Anonymousreply 173October 6, 2021 5:27 AM

I like that use buys used clothes.

by Anonymousreply 174October 6, 2021 5:46 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175October 6, 2021 6:12 AM

She is so blah blah blah persuasive. We are shaking in our blah blah blah shoes.

by Anonymousreply 176October 6, 2021 4:27 PM

She's so outrageous!

by Anonymousreply 177October 6, 2021 6:07 PM

This saving the planet bullshit is one massive grift. Greta didn't want to go to school so she took the easy option and went on strike, encouraging many others to miss out on their education as well. She is an attention whore who courts the media as much as any Kardashian but wants to maintain the moral high ground making sanctomonious speeches and wagging her finger at politicians and world leaders who did the hard work of staying in school, going to university and getting a job in the real world.

by Anonymousreply 178October 6, 2021 9:00 PM

[quote] She's a teenager, she does all this in her second language, she has only a high-school education (obviously) and yet she has done more to keep the climate crisis at the top of the political agenda than thousands and thousands of highly educated scientists and researchers.

What she's really done is turn off the other half of the world. They'll NEVER believe in climate change now

I had never seen her speak. I had always just read about her. Recently I saw a video of her speaking. At first I thought it was a doctored video. Then I realized it was real. No one wants to see that

by Anonymousreply 179October 6, 2021 10:19 PM

She can always do a bus and truck tour of THE BAD SEED. Greta is Rhoda!

by Anonymousreply 180October 6, 2021 11:30 PM

People now are more concern about post-covid recovery than listening to rant from Pippi Longstocking.

by Anonymousreply 181October 8, 2021 11:03 AM

"How DARE you! How dare you not give the Nobel Peace Prize this year! Those nobody journalists, who ever heard of them? Blah blah blah."

by Anonymousreply 182October 8, 2021 11:29 AM

I can imagine Greta has a 5 year old:

How DARE you! How DARE you not give me a second cookie! Sugar, cavities, blah blah blah!

by Anonymousreply 183October 8, 2021 11:36 AM

R183 They went through a lot of sitters.

by Anonymousreply 184October 10, 2021 1:38 AM

love love love

by Anonymousreply 185October 14, 2021 4:50 AM

stop picking on her. She is younger than you. It's not becoming.

by Anonymousreply 186October 14, 2021 4:51 AM

I've never really seen footage of her until recently. Prior to that is was just news clips, etc, which don't paint an accurate picture.

It wasn't the documentary I Am Greta but some other show. I only watched about 10 minutes but she seemed really rational and level headed and nothing like the media portray her.

by Anonymousreply 187October 14, 2021 5:28 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188October 14, 2021 7:14 AM

I wonder if they still let Greta go to her senior prom even though she cut so much school for these climate protests. It’d be a shame if she missed such a fun memorable rite of passage.

by Anonymousreply 189October 14, 2021 8:24 PM

R189 - I hope the pig's blood they dump on her will get recycled.

by Anonymousreply 190October 14, 2021 11:02 PM

Put her on the next rocket into "orbit".

by Anonymousreply 191October 14, 2021 11:33 PM

NO ONE CARES about YOU GRETA!! STOP SHOUTING you petulant girl!

by Anonymousreply 192October 18, 2021 6:29 PM

Have you guys seen this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193October 26, 2021 6:55 AM

When she’s not preaching she’s totally dumbfounded. Somethings not right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194October 26, 2021 6:56 AM

Is she a lesbean?

by Anonymousreply 195October 26, 2021 1:18 PM

Mocking Greta is a good and appropriate way to get a lot of WWs on DL.

by Anonymousreply 196October 26, 2021 1:32 PM

R194 She's a prop being used by others.

by Anonymousreply 197October 27, 2021 12:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!