Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The most unpleasant men's fragrances

"Sauvage" by Dior (which is not the same thing, btw, as their old classic "Eau Sauvage," which is still being made and is wonderful) is just godawful to me, and it's one of the most popular colognes on the market.

It deserves to be hawked by Johnny Depp. It smells like some kind of Axe body spray for adult men, and if someone is wearing it you cannot get away from them because it's such a beast. It features three different kinds of pepper--who the hell likes smelling pepper in the first place?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2021 11:16 AM

Try boy smells products, fabulous

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2021 8:14 PM

drakkar noir. smells like fart trails covered up by cologne

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2021 8:18 PM

I am wearing it. Wanna smell my armpit, babe?

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2021 8:50 PM

Dakkar Noir is the single best smell ever.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2021 8:52 PM

Sauvage is an ambroxan bomb. It's a chemical that is used a lot in both designer and niche fragrances. It's VERY long lasting, reminds some of ambergris, the most expensive ingredient used in perfumery.

found online: Ambroxan has a strong woody-ambery, sweet-earthy, musky odor with a delicate animal tonality. Aroma/chemical laboratories confirm that Ambroxan can last almost 17 days on paper blotter

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2021 9:15 PM

Sauvage has had many flankers in a few short years, and a new one again this year. Most of them smell great on a handsome and sexy young man who is filled with vitality and some charm. So the many Sauvages are not for you, OP, obviously. By the way, it's a peacock fragrance straight young men wear to impress other straight young men. It's not a chick magnet.

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2021 9:22 PM

Only jerks, sociopaths and reichwingers wear Boss. It’s a big red flag for me.

My mean emotionally-crippled right-wing father wears Boss Bottled Tonic, which to me smells like drain cleaner—apt, as having a conversation with the man would make anyone want to drink bleach.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2021 10:12 PM

I think that Santos by Cartier smells like insecticide.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2021 10:15 PM

I used to hate Fahrenheit by Dior back when it was introduced in the 1990s. It smelled to me then like gasoline.

I wonder if I would dislike it as much now.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2021 10:19 PM

OP is right. It smells like "I Pretend to Like Scat" for incels.

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2021 10:21 PM

I like most of the popular designer "bro" frags, if they are on young men, except Invictus, which is perhaps bearable on a HS boy.

Almost all the popular "designer" brands - which are priced roughly 50-100 bucks, are at least competent. Some are delicious.

The problems frags are the budgets. Because some are very good, and some are very bad. And the brands are different depending on the country and the continent. There are some cheap stinkers in all countries. Which is a pity because there are also great smelling cheapos.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2021 10:25 PM

Every cologne smells unpleasant on me for some reason. It smells great on a guy, and when I buy his same cologne, it smells awful. I no longer wear cologne.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2021 10:26 PM

Is Mace a men's fragrance? Because a lot of the guys here in my 'hood wear it.

I prefer something a little less spicy.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2021 10:40 PM

r12, my sister has the same problem. After half an hour, almost everything on her skin smells like garbage. I don't have this problem nor does my other sister.

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2021 10:40 PM

Why would a company want Johnny Depp to be the image for their perfume when he looks like he does at that photo? This was even before the stuff about the wife abuse came to light.

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2021 10:42 PM

R15 Heritage fashion "houses" have been on the hunt for "edge" since the 90s. Dior thought that Johnny brought edge - scuzzy glamour - don't forget Johnny is a huge star in France and was partnered with French Icon Vanessa Paradis who is/was a trash glamour muse, to Lagerfeld at Chanel for years. And before, Johnny with Kate Moss.

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2021 11:07 PM

For me, they are all equally unpleasant. I detest men’s fragrances, and tolerate women’s if they're applied subtly, which they generally are not. Middle eastern and Indian guys are the worst, since they seem to bathe in the stuff, and make any room reek for hours after they’ve left

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2021 11:19 PM

Of course this one must smell like piss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2021 11:31 PM

Polo

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2021 11:32 PM

I hate A*Men (Thierry Mugler Angel for Men). It actually inspires irrational anger, but doesn't make me physically ill. On the other hand, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue induces a migraine. I must be allergic to one of the ingredients.

I actually like many fragrances, especially classic older scents from Guerlain and various citrus/green/woody fragrances (Eau Sauvage, Eau d'Hadrien, Terre d'Hermes, Eau de Campagne).

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2021 11:34 PM

[quote] Most of them smell great on a handsome and sexy young man who is filled with vitality and some charm. So the many Sauvages are not for you, OP, obviously.

Oh, nice try, hon. But if Dior really thought "handsome" and "young" men were truly the demographic for the Sauvage line, then why would they have its face be the grizzled and ruined Johnny Depp?

No, I am afraid their marketing shows they know exactly to whom this line of fragrances appeals: sketchy douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2021 11:36 PM

Drugstore colognes bought for Dad for Xmas: Brut; British Sterling; Stetson...

by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2021 11:37 PM

I hate most fragrances, and most of them just make me sneeze. The main exception is Eau d’Orange Verte by Hermès. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2021 11:44 PM

[quote]The most unpleasant men's fragrances

My Uncle Harry's

We'd all go in the woods for at least two days when he used the outhouse during a visit with Meemaw.

And he smelled pretty close to that anywhere he was.

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2021 11:53 PM

Yes, it becomes rancid, R14. Every cologne. Even Abercrombie Fierce! I’m in my late fifties and I look 20s-30s, and I bought Fierce trying because it smells so good and… stunk.

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2021 12:11 AM

R8 I loved the way that used to smell, the one in the brown bottle. I remember testing it in 1989 & thought it was the best thing ever. I ended up buying A bottle (green?) a few yrs later & it wasn’t the same.

Kouros by YSL kinda smelled like pee, but I used to be really into it.

One I never understood its popularity is Joop!

by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2021 12:45 AM

Which Joop as there are dozens. The pink Joop is quite a shock! I imagine it would repel many people.

R21 there is a world beyond your little nook of flyoverstan USA. A good friend of mine has been a shop bottom perfume counter salesman at Globus Genève and Zurich for 20 years and YOUNG MEN buy Sauvage. Johnny Depp was an icon, he was Jack Sparrow, and a jet setting partier into drugs, with private islands and a cool image. Maybe American boys might not see that. Johnny was cool but in Europe he was. Sauvage was a best selling fragrance in recent years. Dior knew what it was doing. It made millions on that juice.

By the way I specified that is smells good on young men. I didn't say sketchy douchebags couldn't buy it. Its too young for men 30+ in my opinion and yeah smells douchy. Like Le Male before it, Sauvage was a "clubbing scent". This culture may be dead in the USA but it thrives across Europe, North Africa and the Middle East.

Where peacocky men LOVE strong fragrances.

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2021 1:21 AM

Boy smells is a real company, he started in his kitchen, then they recieved so many orders his husband quit his job to help. They have candles too

by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2021 1:30 AM

Huge Kiss fan here so I had to sample this when I noticed it at the cologne counter at Macy's. Forget what the description says, this honestly smells like really bad body odor & baby powder. It's hideous. I honestly started looking around to see if I was being pranked by some candid camera type show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2021 1:55 AM

When my sister’s Egyptian-Lebanese boyfriend (now fiancée) was coming over with her to my place quite often, I had to take her aside at one point and confess that his cologne (Jaguar Pace, iirc?) was fumigating my house with its reek. She agreed that she hated it too and that he wore too much. We conspired to buy him a better-quality higher-end niche scent (don’t remember what it was), and she spent a little time at home teaching him the ‘spray (once) and walk away’ trick. He smells great now.

by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2021 9:12 AM

No one should wear fragrances. They are sickening.

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2021 9:59 AM

"I’m in my late fifties and I look 20s-30s"

R25 No dear, you don't look like you're in your 20s or 30s. You did 30 years ago, but time marches on, mostly across your face. Grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 32October 2, 2021 4:34 PM

Why do so many men's fragrances have homo in their names? When they want to be classy they also use l'homo! It's insulting to be marketed at so blatantly.

by Anonymousreply 33October 10, 2021 4:02 AM

Why would someone want to smell like Johnny Depp. He sleeps in poo.

by Anonymousreply 34October 10, 2021 4:13 AM

[quote] Boy smells is a real company, he started in his kitchen, then they recieved so many orders his husband quit his job to help.

I started my own real company called Girl Smells, but I received no orders and no one wanted to help.

by Anonymousreply 35October 10, 2021 4:14 AM

The Michael Kors one smells sucky.

by Anonymousreply 36October 10, 2021 4:15 AM

If I smell anything like Axe or Juicy or A&F or Victoria’s Secret or Escada or JPG or Versace or Diesel or Britney/JLo etc then I get instantly violently triggered into flashbacks replaying the horror of my 2000s schooldays😣

Higher end drugstore stuff from that time isn’t much better. Some of the worst for me are A*Men, 212, Fierce, Cool Water, M7, Polo Sport, Angel, Happy, Light Blue, Rush, J’adore, Le Male, Romance, Chloe, Daisy, ck One, Fahrenheit, Love Spell, Acqua Di Gio, Tommy, & Vera Wang Princess. All just nooooo🏃‍♀️

We have so much better choices now, both niche and mainstream, so why would you keep wearing any of these?

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2021 12:38 PM

R36 isn’t anything Kors like the pinnacle of Fraudom?

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2021 5:02 PM

Who would want to smell like Johnny Depp? I never really understood that ad campaign. Even worse that they were still advertising it when he was accused of domestic violence by his wife and a bunch of stuff was coming out in the court case about his drinking, rages, uncontrolled spending; all kinds of things. Do straight men see the ads and think 'yes, I want to emulate that'?

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2021 5:09 PM

It's an oldie but the original Kouros by YSL was really strong and had a sweaty musty smell to it. Not sure if that was the point?

I hate Eternity for men -- TOO STRONG and an ex bathed in it.

Pierre Cardin original with the phallic bottle- I can practically taste its herbaceous peppery juice. STRONG -- reminds me of pervy skeevy older deacons at church that wore too much and also smelled like Desenex food powder. GROSS

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2021 5:20 PM

[quote] Pierre Cardin original with the phallic bottle- I can practically taste its herbaceous peppery juice. STRONG -- reminds me of pervy skeevy older deacons at church that wore too much and also smelled like Desenex food powder. GROSS

Is that ever a specific memory!

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2021 5:23 PM

I'll never buy Sheen: Sack again, I can tell you that.

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2021 5:38 PM

Isn’t there an old-fashioned perfume called Anus Anus?

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2021 8:00 PM

R39 The question why anyone would want to smell like Johnny Depp is a good one. But he lucked out by getting on that campaign and the scent (ambroxan) is a newer chemical that people love. The fragrance is one of America's top sellers and at retail price at Macys. There's no reason for them to change the campaign. In fact, they may just be using old photos of him taken years ago during shoots. There's no reason for a new campaign when the sales keep going up.

It's just dumb luck that he got on to that specific campaign. He could have just as easily been hired as a face for Coach or Burberry. He just happened to strike gold.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2021 8:21 PM

You just reminded me- I want to get some Eccentric Molecules for Christmas- the one with that high tech Iso E Soper (or whatever the heck its called!)

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2021 8:53 PM

R43 my 85-year harridan of a grandmother still wears Anais Anais. It’s genuinely so vile, just musty sickly choking lily.

by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2021 9:04 PM

R45 Mine released her green wind from a bottle of Vent Vert

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2021 10:53 PM

Fahrenheit is disgusting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 13, 2021 8:00 AM

That Issey Miyake shit it’s disgusting

by Anonymousreply 49October 13, 2021 8:16 AM

Perfumery like cinema, is a combination of creativity and commerce. Fahrenheit is considered among the most successful male fragrances in history, in this context. When it was launched millions found it exciting and new as a concept and ravishing to wear. Dior just about repeated the success with Sauvage.

by Anonymousreply 50October 13, 2021 8:33 AM

Faberge used to have a men's cologne that was very nice. One of my exes wore it all the time and it was sublime. Soft, but still masculine. Just a whisper of scent that was always perfection. Faberge once made many fragrances. Brut was awful and probably the most well-known. The fragrance he wore was always very difficult for him to find. This was back in the 1970's. He would search like mad until he could find some and from what I recall, it was known only as 'Faberge' and not one of its many offerings like Brut, Macho, Woodhue or any of the other weird names they came up with. Do any of you recall this one?

by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2021 12:41 AM

R51- Hello dear-

You ex wore Scoundrel by Joan Collins

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2021 12:44 AM

[quote]When it was launched millions found it exciting and new as a concept and ravishing to wear.

"ravishing to wear"??

It sounds like those "millions" were total MARY!s.

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2021 12:47 AM

Original Polo smells like those cardboard car air fresheners you hang on your rearview mirror.

by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2021 12:51 AM

Some of the old scents like Hai Karate actually smelled like furniture polish, way too strong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 14, 2021 12:53 AM

Depp is gross

by Anonymousreply 56October 14, 2021 12:56 AM

I was that Mary! in my Fahrenheit. I was 6'3 170lbs wearing my Armani, Lanvin, and Brioni suits and I'd put that frag on in the morning and smell it wafting up from my skinny chest leaving work in the evening. It was a sexy and intoxicating scent. I never should have warn it to the office, of course! Well, those were the 80s!

by Anonymousreply 57October 14, 2021 12:58 AM

*worn

by Anonymousreply 58October 14, 2021 12:58 AM

Slash, guitarist of the shitty homophobic Geffen-manufactured rock band Guns N’Roses, used to douse Fahrenheit on himself in lieu of bathing.

Just imagine the rancid combo of stale dried piss in leather pants+JD+groupie funk+BO+guitar pickups+dead hair+snakeskin+the worst Dior ever made+whatever Axl Rose smelled like back then. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 59October 14, 2021 8:48 AM

[quote]Just imagine the rancid combo of stale dried piss in leather pants+JD+groupie funk+BO+guitar pickups+dead hair+snakeskin+the worst Dior ever made+whatever Axl Rose smelled like back then.

You can buy that for $98 and not have to deal with the inconvenience of time-travel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 14, 2021 8:59 AM

Why do gay men wear ck One? Why does any man? To me it’s such a middle-aged Frau choice.

For context I’m a young lesbian and I would never wear any ck scent (or any ck garments for that matter). That’s for my straight mallwalking normy aunties and grandmothers. I prefer the more experimental and arty continental houses such as l’Artisan, L’etat libre, Pierre Guillaume, Malle, Le Labo. Occasionally Lutens, Grossmith or Floris when I’m feeling fancy and classy or it’s an event where I have to hang out with older ppl and seem put together.

In my life I’ve sampled over a hundred fragrances, and there’s so few department store/mainstream scents I actually like and will wear. Too much overpriced shit on the market. I can only tolerate a handful of Diors (Cinema & Dune for nostalgia bc they remind me of my Mom, Diorissimo bc witchy vibes), the better Armanis (basically just Si original & Mania), and Givenchy (Dahlia Noir or Very Irresistible). And secretly Ricci Riccis for my sporadic girly-goth Loli bimbo days, but I don’t tell people that.

by Anonymousreply 61October 14, 2021 3:00 PM

Did we not just have this thread a few weeks ago?????

by Anonymousreply 62October 14, 2021 3:11 PM

You can't figure out why mallwalkers don't wear Lutens and L'etat libra?

People where CK fragrances because they are inexpensive and smell pleasant.

CK One is a very old fragrance - 1994. It was created by Alberto Morillas who is highly skilled at concocting fragrances that please the market the brand targets. Almost all his fragrances are "competent" and many are better than that. CK one started quite a line and style of fragrances at CK and many brands. But at CK - for example, they continued to release very pleasing Morillas created CK EVERYONE in 2020, 25 years after the great success of CK One. EVERYONE smells REALLY good and it is very easy to wear. Yes, it's generic in a scene that its designed so masses can like it. But what's wrong with that? It's not easy to make good smelling, good value price cologne, that is popular. This is commerce - Morillas is great at it.

by Anonymousreply 63October 14, 2021 3:12 PM

*libre

by Anonymousreply 64October 14, 2021 3:13 PM

R62 - Yeah. But I'm sure you can find a fresh new thread about Madonna today. And there's the Halloween Candy Thread. That's new and creative.

by Anonymousreply 65October 14, 2021 3:44 PM

I hate Joop so much. It is perma stuck in the 90's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 14, 2021 4:09 PM

R63 it’s just that we gays tend to be more creative and free-thinking and stylistically expressive, implying better choices😔

but people gay or straight will do what they’re gonna do to be comfortable and feel good about themselves, no hate

by Anonymousreply 67October 14, 2021 7:06 PM

Perfume is a commodity and many people are on very tight budgets, R67. Pierre Guillaume frags are 100 to 200 bucks, discounted, where I live, and not in the shopping malls of the Hoi polloi. But you must know that.

by Anonymousreply 68October 14, 2021 7:09 PM

I agree about Joop, and I'll add Kenzo, or whatever it was called, to the list.

by Anonymousreply 69October 14, 2021 7:25 PM

Joop and Kenzo are brands with dozens of fragrances each.

by Anonymousreply 70October 14, 2021 7:32 PM

CK One is still so popular they release a new "CK Summer" every year. These offshoots are called flankers. They sell well. They're old school fresh and have more in common with scents you'd find in store brand deodorant than with some of the niche fragrances mentioned here.

by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2021 4:15 AM

I LOVED CHAPS MUSK! DELISH!

They no longer make Musk. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2021 4:29 AM

Does Sauvage smell like Depp? 🤢

by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2021 5:12 AM

Yes, Rose, Sauvage, a high end designer fragrance, very successful, by the celebrated French fashion house Dior, maker of fashionable and beautiful products, smells like old, dirty, wasted, druged-out Depp's coke sweaty unwashed ass crack.

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2021 11:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!