Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

31 Days of Halloween Film List

Hello All! Every year I make a #1 Days of Halloween Film List of horror movies I have not seen. Below, in no particular order is this years list!

1. Labyrinth (1986) with David Bowie, Jennifer Connolly, and Sir Michael Hordern

2. The Invisible Man (2020) with Elizabeth Moss, Aldis Hodge, and Olivier Jackson-Cohen

3. Village of the Damned (1964) with George Sanders

4. Eyes without a Face (1960) with Pierre Brasseur, Edith Scob, and Alida Valli

5. The Legend of Hell House (1973) with Pamela Franklin, Clvie Revill, and Roddy McDowall

6. The Man Who Laughs (1928) with Conrad Veidt

7. The Hands of Orlac (1924) with Conrad Veidt

8. Damien: Omen II (1978) with William Holden and Lee Grant

9. Winchester (2018) with Helen Mirren and Jason Clarke

10. 13 Ghosts (2001) with Tony Shalhoub, Embeth Davidtz, and F. Murray Abraham

11. A Quiet Place (2018) with John Krasinki and Emily Blunt

12. Sinister (2012) with Ethan Hawke, Juliet Rylance, and Fred Dalton Thompson

13. Insidious (2010) with Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne, and Barbara Hershey

14. Sleepaway Camp (1983)

15. The Babadook (2014) with Essie Davis

16. Dead Ringers (1988) with Jeremy Irons, Genevieve Bujold, and Jill Hennessy

17. The Black Cat (1934) with Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi

18. Endless Night (1972) with Haley Mills, Britt Eckland, and George Sanders

19. 28 Days Later... (2002) with Cillian Murphy

20. The Vanishing (1988) with Gene Bervoets

21. The Hour of the Wolf (1967) with Max von Sydow and Liv Ullman

22. Hereditary (2018) with Toni Collette and Gabriel Byrne

23. Lamb (2021)

24. Night of the Living Dead (19680 and Dawn of the Dead (1974) (Double Feature)

25. Suspiria (1976) with Jessica Harper and Alida Villa

26. The Changeling (1979) with George C. Scott, Trish Van Devere, and Melvyn Douglas

27. The Wailing (2016)

28. The Phantom Carriage (1939) with Pierre Fresnay

29. Nosferatu (1922) with Maximillian Schreck

30. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) with Werner Krauss and Conrad Veidt

31. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

What horror movies are you watching this spooky season?!

by Anonymousreply 116October 16, 2021 6:10 AM

Authors Note- I know Damien: Omen II is not the best movie, but I am a big fan of the original 1976 film.

Also I realized Conrad Veidt appears in three films.

by Anonymousreply 1September 29, 2021 4:12 PM

13 ghosts is truly terrible. I would not waste your time on that. Invisible man is also a bore.

by Anonymousreply 2September 29, 2021 4:18 PM

Eyes Without A Face is sublime OP - good choice! And The Legend of Hell House is not scary at all, but an absolute HOOT with some great scenery chewing performances by a stellar cast. The Phantom Carriage, Dead Ringers, and The Vanishing are both on my first time watch list too! I have the Criterion Channel, so I'm going to watch The Devil and Daniel Webster, Vampyr, and some vintage J-horror (they have a LOT from the 50s-70s) as well.

by Anonymousreply 3September 29, 2021 4:22 PM

Winchester is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2021 4:33 PM

Some really good picks! Of course, I'd add The Exorcist, Carrie, The Omen - but I'm sure you've probably seen them too many times. I always watch Rosemary's Baby. On the low end, I'd add The Sentinel (supermodel guarding the gates of hell) and The Manitou (Indian spirit growing out of a woman's back).

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2021 4:40 PM

Please add "Grave Encounters" to the list...good and scary

by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2021 4:45 PM

What a fun idea, OP! Perhaps I will make my own list.

by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2021 4:48 PM

Burnt Offerings 1976

by Anonymousreply 8September 29, 2021 5:45 PM

Wow. I reviewed some "Best Of..." lists and jotted down movies I've been meaning to see. And I'm already up to 70 titles. Guess I'll have options.

by Anonymousreply 9September 29, 2021 6:02 PM

Thanks for the support! I tried to pick movies across all decades. Out of 100 years, I only have three decades not represented- 1940's, 1950's, and 1990's.

R2 I have heard bad things about it, but I love F. Murray Abraham. He is an underrated actor.

R3 How do you get the Criterion Collection? Is it on DirecTV or do you pay for it?

R4 That is for me to find out!

R5 The Omen is one of my favorite horror movies. You could easily watch the same stuff over and over again.

R8 I will add it to my list.

R9 Same here! Time Out magazine does things like "Top 100 Horror Movies," "Top 100 French Films," etc.

by Anonymousreply 10September 29, 2021 6:04 PM

The problem with me and movies is that I want to see if it is based on a book first. If so, I want to read said book. But then I have piles of books and movies to read/watch and I can't finish them.

I'm terrible LOL

by Anonymousreply 11September 29, 2021 6:06 PM

[quote]I only have three decades not represented- 1940's, 1950's, and 1990's.

Not that you asked for recommendations...but for the 1940s have you seen all the Val Lewton films?

For myself, I think I will almost definitely start with these:

The Crazies (possible double feature with the remake)

Hausu

Inferno

I Saw The Devil

It Follows

Jennifer's Body

Midsommar

Possession

[rec]

There are so many classic/significant horror movies I've never seen.

by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2021 6:20 PM

Please see The Witches aka The Devil’s Own starring Joan Fontaine. If not for the sake of f this thread then for the sake of your own peace of mind. it will be worth it.

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2021 7:03 PM

The City of the Dead, aka Horror Hotel

Burn, Witch, Burn

The Fog

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2021 7:25 PM

OP I like #2 on your list quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2021 7:47 PM

Thanks for the recommendations!

R15 Is it good? I know it is an adaptation of the H.G. Wells novel and a remake of the old Claude Rains film. I haven't read or seen the original,

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2021 9:14 PM

Correction. The Phantom Carriage was made in 1921, not 1939. My apologies.

Fun Fact: It was Ingmar Bergman's favorite film of all time.

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2021 10:11 PM

Labyrinth was nothing to hold special. Everyone talks about how much of cult classic it is, but I got bored.

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2021 2:40 PM

A list of films you have not seen is rather difficult for us to comment on in terms of adds.

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2021 2:52 PM

How can you not have “Halloween” on the list?!?! It’s literally the movie they named the holiday after.

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2021 2:53 PM

This list is nothing without The Innocents. Terrifying, ravishing movie.

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2021 2:53 PM

I'd add the Amicus collections of highly entertaining mid-20th century Gothic tales

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors Torture Garden The House That Dripped Blood Asylum Tales From The Crypt Vault of Horror From Beyond the Grave

The classic Hammer reboots of the Universal monster series--Frankenstein, Dracula, and the Mummy--are surprisingly adult and full of post-World War II ennui and cynicism. Peter Cushing's Frankenstein and Christopher Lee's Dracula are aristocratic predators with no redeeming features. I think the Amicus films take a more fun and campy approach because they were made by Americans.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2021 3:01 PM

Happy, happy Halloween! Silver Shamrock!

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2021 3:04 PM

R20 I have seen Halloween like 100 times lol. I'm sure I'll watch it this year, but I try to watch new horror movies I have not seen.

R21 The Innocents is one of my favorites!

R23 I love a good Hammer Horror film. IT was also a who's who of British character actors- Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Oliver Reed, Michael Gough, Jon Pertwee, Charles Gray, Alec McCowen, and the gorgeous Ingrid Pitt. They seemed to be having so much fun together.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2021 3:21 PM

“Theatre of Blood”, with Vincent Price and Diana Rigg as a father/daughter Shakespearean actors who kill off critics like Shakespeare killed characters.

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2021 3:51 PM

Labyrinth is a kid's movie. *shrug*

Last night I watched The Resurrected because I'd heard it was that rarity, a well-done and faithful Lovecraft adaptation. However it's been 20 years since I read The Case of Charles Dexter Ward so I can't say how faithful it was. Anyboo, it was a solid movie but not remarkable. It did have some good practical effects and a very enjoyable performance from Chris Sarandon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2021 4:01 PM

R25 That is one of my all-time favorite movies! I watch it every March 15th.

The best joke of the movie is the Vincent Price, who always wanted to be a Shakespearean actor, gets to violently murder British thespians one by one- Jack Hawkins, Harry Andrews, Robert Coote, Coral Browne, Arthur Lowe, Dennis Price, Ian Hendry, Robert Morley, and my personal favorite Sir Michael Hordern.

by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2021 4:02 PM

I forgot Andre Morell too!

by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2021 4:16 PM

House on Haunted Hill is a must for this time for year. It's not scary, but it's really entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2021 5:48 PM

Old horror movies are often stylish but never frightening. The innocents is revered, but I never experienced a moment of dread watching it. Same goes for Night of the Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2021 6:04 PM

Fright Night (1985) with Roddy McDowall for the camp.

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2021 6:10 PM

Thats fun, OP. Some of this years movies are such classics. I'm surprised you haven't seen them yet.

by Anonymousreply 32October 1, 2021 6:15 PM

Any suggestions for ones specifically Halloween-themed such as Trick R. Treat, Hell Bent, Hocus Pocus, Halloween 3 etc?

by Anonymousreply 33October 1, 2021 6:19 PM

Ooo, r26! That's my favorite Lovecraft story. I read it every year near Halloween. It's an old friend.

I will absolutely have to check that movie out. For some reason, Lovecraft doesn't translate to the screen well. Too many directors try to show things that need to remain unseen but felt. Nobody wants to insinuate and create atmosphere anymore.

A more recent film that I enjoyed is "Shadow of the Vampire" with John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe. Unnerving.

How could OP not even mention "The Bride of Frankenstein"? That has the queeniest intro ever committed to film, complete with flourish and mince, FFS!

I can't even hear that phrase without picturing Ernest Thesiger saying it and clapping his little hands together in all of his warped glee.

by Anonymousreply 34October 1, 2021 6:23 PM

I don't have any personal recs, R33, but Bloody Disgusting has a list.

There's also Something Wicked This Way Comes, which is set in October but not specifically Halloween as far as I remember. It's a good movie, not very scary but atmospheric.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 1, 2021 6:31 PM

R35 Thanks lots of movies I haven't heard of before. Tales of Halloween, Sleepy Hollow, Midnight Hour, and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark are not particularly scary but have some great Halloween atmosphere. Idle Hands was a fun comedy and Devon Sawa was cute in it. Have lots of nostalgia for Ernest Scared Stupid. Helions was a gorgeously shot film that left me totally confused. Hell Fest and Haunt are some of my more recent favorites. I think Haunt is on Shudder. Will probably check out Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane and Dark Night of the Scarecrow from this list. Some of these are ultra low budget but a lot of them end up being some of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 36October 1, 2021 6:52 PM

Some fun ones: Hell Night. The Funhouse. Terror Train. Train to Busan.

In a league of its own: The Haunting (the original)...

French horror: Inside, High Tension, Frontiers. Diabolique.

Also worth mentioning: the coffin Joe movies.

by Anonymousreply 37October 1, 2021 6:52 PM

[quote]I will absolutely have to check that movie out. For some reason, Lovecraft doesn't translate to the screen well. Too many directors try to show things that need to remain unseen but felt. Nobody wants to insinuate and create atmosphere anymore.

I like Lovecraft too, I think my favorites are The Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Color Out of Space (haven't seen the recent film yet.) It's frustrating that direct adaptations of his work usually turn out poorly, but at least his themes are all over the genre.

I know this is a movie thread, but the BBC has a fiction podcast called The Lovecraft Investigations. It takes three Lovecraft stories, including Charles Dexter Ward, mixes them up with some real life things, and tells the stories in the style of investigative journalism. Sounds naff but I thought it worked well, plus it has Nicola Walker in a supporting role. I binged all three series in a week. Make sure you start at the beginning!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 1, 2021 7:03 PM

That sounds very cool, r38! Thanks for the reco! I will absolutely check it out.

by Anonymousreply 39October 1, 2021 8:57 PM

[quote]There's also Something Wicked This Way Comes, which is set in October but not specifically Halloween as far as I remember. It's a good movie, not very scary but atmospheric.

Another one is The Lady in White with Lukas Haas. It's not scary, but it's set on Halloween and it has a wonderful Autumn atmosphere. It's currently in rotation on HBO, but you can also watch a poor quality version of it on Youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 1, 2021 9:20 PM

Labyrinth isn’t a horror movie, you ninny.

It’s a children’s fairy tale and fantasy film.

by Anonymousreply 41October 1, 2021 9:26 PM

If you could fit in a couple more movies, these two are really good:

The Guilty (2021) - Jake Gyllenhaal is fantastic in this. Don't let the movie summary deter you (it entirely takes place in a 911 call center). It's a tense thriller with a lot of twists and turns.

Possessor Uncut - Brandon Cronenberg directed this (son of his famous father David). It's a gloriously violent and intense sci fi thriller loaded with "body horror" type fare.

by Anonymousreply 42October 1, 2021 11:52 PM

^ Possessor Uncut (2020)

by Anonymousreply 43October 1, 2021 11:52 PM

I vaguely remember Lady in White. Pretty sure it gave me a nightmare when I was a child.

by Anonymousreply 44October 3, 2021 12:32 PM

Blood Feast (1963)

by Anonymousreply 45October 3, 2021 12:37 PM

The Fearless Vampire Killers is a good one. It was directed by Roman Polanski and stars Polanski, Jack McGowan, and Peter Cushing.

by Anonymousreply 46October 3, 2021 10:46 PM

I will be watching:

Phantasm

Poltergeist

The People Under the Stairs

Warm Bodies

Firestarter

and if I can find them, both versions of Salems Lot and Ghost Story

by Anonymousreply 47October 3, 2021 10:51 PM

How's it going, OP?

I was thinking of writing some mini-reviews of what I've been watching but I feel like a hijacker. A SCARY hijacker.

by Anonymousreply 48October 4, 2021 12:27 AM

R48 Sure, I can give an update so far!

1. Labyrinth. It started out strong, but I got bored towards the end. I know it is not a horror/Halloween movie, but it has that vibe to it. The art direction was great and my favorite part was the girl talking to the two two-headed doors. David Bowie did a decent job, but I have never been a fan of his.

2. The Invisible Man was great! I had very low expectations going in. It is a modern adaptation/remake and those can be God-awful to mediocre. However, I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the big twist. Elizabeth Moss is definitely an up and comer.

3. Village of the Damned. Wow. George Sanders gives a tour-de-force performance as the village leader. The movie is very short, about 80 minutes, but it plays like a novel before your eyes. So far this was my favorite one.

by Anonymousreply 49October 4, 2021 12:39 AM

I also really liked Invisible Man. Great acting, great use of effects, and it was clever how Whannell raised tension just by lingering on shots of empty rooms.

by Anonymousreply 50October 4, 2021 9:56 AM

I had a lazy weekend and watched a bunch:

The Crazies (1973) might be the most cynical Romero movie I've seen. It's a more sci-fi version of his zombie films, about a small town that suffers the accidental release of a bioweapon that drives people insane. The movie is full of people being stupid and selfish, and ineffectual authority figures. I thought it was very good, with masterful editing, though a bit let down by its budget (washed out cinematography and very fake blood.)

The People Under The Stairs is BONKERS in a very fun way. It's essentially a kid trapped in a haunted house, but instead of ghosts it's serial killers. I don't know who the audience is supposed to be; a lot of it is hokey like it's aimed at kids, but there's als a lot of gore and social commentary, plus a sprinkling of weird psychosexual stuff. It's Scooby-Doo meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Main character is likable but the campy bad guys steal the show.

Terror Train underwhelmed me. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for a slasher, but I mostly found it slow and didn't care about the characters. It does have a very good sequence with Jamie Lee Curtis chased by the killer. Unfortunately it plays into the trope of queer killers, though it also has a male character who seems to be in love with another man.

A Woman in a Lizard's Skin turned out to be a murder mystery, though it did have some horrific imagery. (I know so little about giallo that I thought they were all horror movies. Duh.) A woman has a dream about killing her neighbor, and then the neighbor is found murdered. Did she commit the murder in a fugue state? If not, who is the killer? I wasn't engrossed by the story but I did enjoy the movie's style; not only was it well-directed but the women have endless fab outfits and I want to live in the main character's chic apartment.

Daniel Isn't Real ought to be of interest to DLers if only for its homoerotic subtext. A young man's childhood imaginary friend returns to cause trouble. Is Daniel just a metaphor for the protagonist's dark side, or a supernatural entity with an unknown agenda? This movie is good when it's being subtle and psychological but sometimes tries too hard. For instance there is some body horror stuff that feels unnecessary and distracting. Still I liked it overall, very interesting premise and strong performances from the two leads.

by Anonymousreply 51October 4, 2021 3:36 PM

For a change of pace I watched the first two episodes of Chapelwaite. How they are turning a Steven King short story into a ten-episode series?

S-l-o-w-l-y.

It's not bad but it's not clicking with me. I might give it another chance another time.

by Anonymousreply 52October 6, 2021 11:16 AM

Your #1 was one of my first clues I was gay. I think a lot of Gen X men and women have a lot of feelings about Jareth and his pants.

by Anonymousreply 53October 6, 2021 12:18 PM

[quote]Please see The Witches aka The Devil’s Own starring Joan Fontaine. If not for the sake of f this thread then for the sake of your own peace of mind. it will be worth it.

This movie is an absolute hoot! You have to admire Joan's commitment to helmet hair, no matter what's happening.

by Anonymousreply 54October 6, 2021 12:26 PM

I love your list OP and plan on watching some of your recommendations this month.

My own Halloween playlist would have to include The Hunger, The Shining, Don't Look Now, The Others and Let the Right One In, along with the original Nosferatu (I can't stand gore but I'm a sucker for movies that conjure up the feeling of creeping evil - if the movie takes place during the Victorian era or involves a vampire or two I'm all in).

by Anonymousreply 55October 6, 2021 12:43 PM

R55 Thanks! I watched (and read) Don't Look Now last year. What a story. It was also ranked the greatest British film of all time by Time Magazine.

by Anonymousreply 56October 6, 2021 1:30 PM

Tim Out Magazine**

by Anonymousreply 57October 6, 2021 1:49 PM

I agree with R22.

My favorite of the bunch is 1972's Tales from the Crypt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 6, 2021 1:51 PM

Some old ones that I enjoy are:

I Bury the Living about a new cemetery caretaker.

Carnival of Souls - a girl is rescued from a car in a river.

Any of the Hammer horror films. They're all so lush and lovely with great costumes, sets and music. Besides, Christopher Lee is always handsome and Peter Cushing intense.

by Anonymousreply 59October 6, 2021 5:24 PM

Lady in White has one scary, nightmare Inducing scene for children and innocent people who are unaware of the classic tropes. The rest is a bit of a boring crime drama, even for kids.

by Anonymousreply 60October 6, 2021 6:30 PM

I like the classic Halloween as well. I also like the mention above of Fright Night, another fav. My list would also contain Evil Dead, the Haunting with Julie Harris, and The Frighteners with Michael J Fox. My mom would let us kids stay up with her when we were sick, and my love for watching scary movies started when we watched Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte.

by Anonymousreply 61October 7, 2021 8:06 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 7, 2021 9:07 AM

Last night I watched Boys From County Hell, which is based on the premise that Bram Stoker stole his ideas from an Irish legend. It was solid, and funnier than I expected. I suggest avoiding the trailer; gives away too many of the good moments IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 63October 7, 2021 11:41 AM

It's a minor film, but B&B (a 2017 film about a gay couple who return to a B&B to bait its Christian owner who had previously refused them a room) is worth mentioning. And the two guys are attractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 7, 2021 12:52 PM

some more ideas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 8, 2021 5:20 PM

I did something similar last year, OP, in making a list of horror movies I had never seen (or not for a very long time). I tried to get a range of times & types, and, just to add another component to my selection, I chose a title for every letter of the alphabet. I then watched them in alphabetical order.

Alone (2020)

Bad Ronald (1974)

Child's Play (1988)

Don't Torture a Duckling (1972)

The Evil (1978)

Fade to Black (1980)

Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018)

Hidden (2015)

I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958)

Just Before Dawn (1981)

The Kiss of the Vampire (1963)

The Last Winter (2006)

Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)

Nightwatch (1994)

One Dark Night (1982)

Piranha 3D (2010)

Quatermass and the Pit (1967)

The Return of the Living Dead (1985)

The Spiral Staircase (1946)

Tales From the Darkside: The Movie (1990)

Unfriended: Dark Web (2018)

Vamp (1986)

The Wolf of Snow Hollow (2020)

X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963)

You're Next (2011)

Z (2019)

Not every title turned out to be a winner, of course, but I had such a good time doing it that I am doing it again this year.

by Anonymousreply 66October 8, 2021 10:23 PM

Watched the new Netflix slasher There is Someone in Your House and wondered how a piece of shit like that could be made. Watched another recent slasher called Initiation (not a remake) which was also bad but had an interesting scene where a male victim's murder is staged to look like a rape. In both films, the villain is super woke (probably unintentional) which is an interesting development I've noticed since Spiral.

When it comes to slashers, I'm very easy to please but these ones were bizarre to say the least. The Fear Street trilogy looks like a masterpiece in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 67October 8, 2021 10:31 PM

Some newer movies to consider:

Better Watch Out (2016)

Haunt (2019)

Hell Fest (2018)

The Night House (2020)

by Anonymousreply 68October 8, 2021 11:29 PM

Devil (2010) if you like Agatha Christie's "An Then There Were None"

by Anonymousreply 69October 8, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote]Better Watch Out (2016)

"Better Watch Out" is so much fun -- but I like to save it for Christmas. (And, whatever you do, don't watch the trailer beforehand.)

Another fun Xmas-set horror film is "P2" from 2007. Set on Christmas Eve, it concerns a young businesswoman who is trapped in an underground parking garage by a psycho security guard (Wes Bentley).

by Anonymousreply 70October 9, 2021 12:08 AM

Mischief Night (2014) -- there is another movie by the same name that was released in 2013. You want the one directed by Travis Baker and starring Brooke Anne Smith. It's a clever twist on masked-killer-stalks-babysitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 9, 2021 3:17 AM

Not technically Halloween but I am watching the Predator series and it's so good. I found many of the movies on my list on Peacock- even Phantasm!

by Anonymousreply 72October 9, 2021 3:37 AM

Dracula Untold features DL fave Luke Evans as an egomaniac with sun-damaged skin. Good casting. But seriously...I'd heard this was awful but I thought it was entertaining enough. If they had made the sequel I would watch it. RIP Dark Universe.

Lights Out was a nice surprise. I swear I saw the trailer years ago and thought it looked like a generic movie about generic characters getting killed off. It was actually firmly rooted in a family drama, with some good acting and a good blend of suspense and more overt scares.

by Anonymousreply 73October 9, 2021 10:11 AM

I like the Val Lawton film I walked with a zombie 1943, Tame by today’s standards but he makes such good use of shadows. When that girl walks through that dried out cornfield at night with the zombie following her the moon and the rustle of the corn leaves I find it genuinely frightening. It’s really masterfully executed.

by Anonymousreply 74October 9, 2021 10:37 AM

OP created the"Best Buy Bisexual" revenge EST, and in another, he's a lawyer. I do believe this thread here is more reality based with OP dwelling in a damp basement watching old movies.

by Anonymousreply 75October 9, 2021 10:39 AM

[quote] like the Val Lawton film I walked with a zombie 1943

I rewatched that movie on TCM recently; I realize - different times - but the incredible tone deafness of the white characters. At the beginning, the driver is telling her about how his people were brought to the island as part of the slave trade (or something along those lines). The Zombie Walker woman says "well, at least they brought you some place beautiful!". The black driver, to his credit, just says "if you say so, miss (bitch!)" I'm not saying that to be all woke, I was just kind of staggered by the condescension

by Anonymousreply 76October 9, 2021 7:33 PM

The Escape Room movies are pretty entertaining, too. Surprisingly.

by Anonymousreply 77October 9, 2021 8:02 PM

R46 The Fearless Vampire Killers female lead is Sharon Tate. I think it’s where she met Polanski.

by Anonymousreply 78October 9, 2021 8:10 PM

I enjoyed Dracula Untold, too. Anything with Charles Dance as an ancient vampire is bound to be good.

by Anonymousreply 79October 9, 2021 8:11 PM

I keep thinking of movies.

The Blackcoat's Daughter is really good, stars DL cult faves Emma Roberts and Kiernan Shipka.

by Anonymousreply 80October 9, 2021 8:21 PM

Yes, r76, as entertaining as some of the older movies are, the racism is almost too much to take.

I sure don't expect that old stuff to be "woke" (or even have one eye open), but it's really shocking to see how minorities are portrayed (black, Asian, Indian, Native American).

I was watching "Revenge of the Fly" last night. The 50's version and there was an Asian couple in the movie.

If course, the couple were the "servants". At least the male actor was Asian. I guess we're just more aware of it now.

It reminded me of Whoopi (I believe it was her) talking about how excited she was as a child to see Nichelle Nichols on Star Trek as Lt Uhura, "there's a black lady on TV and she's NOT A SERVANT!"

Aside from that glaring injustice, the movie was actually pretty decent.

Someone should remake it as it was a "stand alone" film with no "Fly" involved.

by Anonymousreply 81October 12, 2021 1:19 AM

[quote] OP I like #2 on your list quite a bit.

I like #2 quite a bit!

by Anonymousreply 82October 12, 2021 4:42 AM

B&W British folk horror ftw!

Night of the Demon, 1957 and Burn Witch, Burn!, 1962

by Anonymousreply 83October 12, 2021 5:17 AM

Thing is, when it comes to racist statements in films you also have to realize that was not necessarily everybody’s of the times outlook. I remember hearing phrases when I was a kid and being stunned at how ignorant they were, or insensitive or cruel. They were not my families views, not my friends. We were not a unique group, there has always been idiots out there. Hollywood, who always seems to put themselves up as the social leaders for the country are often the racists and sexists. They have forced both men and women to have sex to get into a movie, have secret cruel behaviors to underlings in the film industry, force actors into contracts that screw them over financially, they are not the bests ones to look to for a realistic portrayal of people at any time, imho

by Anonymousreply 84October 12, 2021 5:38 AM

Not really scary but interesting and fits the season, The ninth gate.

by Anonymousreply 85October 12, 2021 5:47 AM

Vamp starring Grace Jones

by Anonymousreply 86October 12, 2021 6:41 AM

Watching The Ninth Gate now, I love Polanski. It's freaking me out how everyone is touching this 17th century book without wearing gloves.

by Anonymousreply 87October 12, 2021 10:07 PM

Update: The Ninth Gate is awesome, I want to read the book now. Johnny Depp pre-spiral was a beautiful thing.

by Anonymousreply 88October 13, 2021 12:42 AM

Winchester had such potential and it just never happened. I was so disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 89October 13, 2021 12:48 AM

I believe The Ninth Gate is based on The Club Dumas which is supposed to be a great read.

From what I understand, the book has more allusion to the characters in The Three Musketeers, if you can believe that.

You all would probably love it. Worth a read by itself.

by Anonymousreply 90October 13, 2021 5:29 PM

R87 YES. The Ninth Gate is very good. Frank Langella ruins his entire life, and other, over that one book. He is this super wealthy guy that destroys everyone around him. Langella is better than Depp in the movie IMO.

R90. I've heard the book is more about Alexandre Dumas than the Satanic cult. Has anyone on here read it?

by Anonymousreply 91October 13, 2021 5:35 PM

I watched Lamb in theatres this past weekend. It is super weird but I enjoyed it! The same with Dead Ringers.

Does anyone else have thoughts on them?

by Anonymousreply 92October 13, 2021 5:36 PM

Squid Game

by Anonymousreply 93October 13, 2021 10:44 PM

I have read The Club Dumas. It's no good, don't bother. I kid you not it lumbers on and on with all sorts of stuff the people who put together the movie were wise enough to leave out. I forced myself to read it because of people saying it's good. I imagine they never read it and simply got that decision from someone else who also did not read it and just parroted that sentiment. Believe me, it's boring as hell and in no way ever made the same story as the movie.

Johnny Depp was good in it but yes, Langella just STOLE this movie. Also, those old private library's were just gorgeous. Old books and charm. So much in that movie was good, the mysterious green eyes girl, that woman who had a copy of the book, his friend who owned the antique bookstore, the cinematography-stunning and made me want to just run over to France. That gorgeous house in Spain...even the music. Polansky may have his personal problems but he sure can make one hell of a movie (hey! he might like that regarding THIS movie ;))

by Anonymousreply 94October 13, 2021 11:31 PM

Was The Girl supposed to be the devil himself? I think it was, but she could also have been an agent of his.

by Anonymousreply 95October 13, 2021 11:38 PM

R95 I have wondered that myself and looked all over the net with all sorts of different answers. The book was different than the movie. I thought she was a witch, there to do the devils bidding. There are a lot of people who think she was the devil. I don't know what Polanski intended but if you find it please post it here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 13, 2021 11:50 PM

R95, in the movie, the girl is the Whore of Babylon. I believe that's implied several times in the movie.

I have a copy of the book, r91, but when I realized it was the ninth gate, I just set it aside. I guess I could pull it out and read it but the satanic stuff isn't my "thing". I much prefer MR James or Algernon Blackwood.

by Anonymousreply 97October 14, 2021 1:03 AM

I loved the baroness…she came to a bad end though.

by Anonymousreply 98October 14, 2021 3:29 AM

Her orgy days are over.

by Anonymousreply 99October 14, 2021 2:58 PM

Incident in a Ghostland

by Anonymousreply 100October 14, 2021 3:08 PM

I was going to watch "significant" movies this month but mostly I've been watching forgettable trash. One thing worth mentioning was the recent animated Addams Family movie. Definitely aimed at younger viewers and the story is dumb, but it's got a decent amount of laughs, good acting, and some very good design. Not sure I'll bother with the sequel though.

by Anonymousreply 101October 14, 2021 5:21 PM

R101 No one can beat Anjelica Huston and Raul Julia. Not even Carolyn Jones and John Astin.

by Anonymousreply 102October 14, 2021 5:26 PM

WHY must EVERYTHING be a CONTEST?

by Anonymousreply 103October 14, 2021 5:51 PM

Polanski's Repulsion 1965 and The Tenant 1976

by Anonymousreply 104October 14, 2021 6:11 PM

The ghost and Mr. chicken is kind of cute.

by Anonymousreply 105October 14, 2021 6:13 PM

R105 saw the Ghost and Mr. Chicken as a kid and that organ music scared me.

by Anonymousreply 106October 14, 2021 6:16 PM

Bob Clark's Deathdream 1972 aka Dead of Night

by Anonymousreply 107October 15, 2021 8:04 AM

Sisters 1972 De Palma mixes Psycho and Rear Window to great effect. One of his best

by Anonymousreply 108October 15, 2021 8:06 AM

More from 1972 Ted Post's The Baby with Ruth Roman as Joan Crawford and Paul Bartel's Private Parts

by Anonymousreply 109October 15, 2021 8:08 AM

I couldn't finish Winchester...

by Anonymousreply 110October 15, 2021 1:55 PM

Cube (and its two sequels)

Japan is actually doing a remake of the original movie that will be released next week.

by Anonymousreply 111October 15, 2021 2:24 PM

Daughters of Darkness 1971 with Delphine Seyring as Countess Elizabeth Bathory

by Anonymousreply 112October 15, 2021 6:04 PM

Dario Argento's Suspiria 1977

Bob Clark's Black Christmas 1974

by Anonymousreply 113October 15, 2021 9:13 PM

R106

That’s kind of cute in itself.

Happy Halloween 👻

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 16, 2021 3:37 AM

R114 Thanks. Happy Halloween to you

by Anonymousreply 115October 16, 2021 5:52 AM

I recommend watching the first season of Evil on Netflix. It is scary, intelligent and very thought-provoking. The 2nd season is now on Paramount Plus, you can watch both seasons if you’d want to pay for the streaming channel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 16, 2021 6:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!