Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let’s talk about Santa Barbara.

You can’t deny that SB is beautiful. Cute downtown. Great neighborhoods- beaches etc. Sadly I have found it to be incredibly homophobic and closeted. It seems like the only people that are out of the closet are sassy latinos. Is it because it’s Republican, full of homophobic surfers, or the bro culture at UCSB? if you see a white guy on the apps he’s a queen.

by Anonymousreply 101November 25, 2021 1:22 PM

Sounds perfect. How are the beaches?

by Anonymousreply 1September 28, 2021 2:25 AM

You may find this thread of interest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 28, 2021 2:26 AM

On what planet is Santa Barbara Republican? Most of the precincts were in the 70% range for Biden, some even over 80% Even Hope Ranch was 59% Biden.

by Anonymousreply 3September 28, 2021 2:34 AM

It's because it's incredibly expensive to live there.

by Anonymousreply 4September 28, 2021 2:43 AM

I grew up there - I always thought it was beautiful and perfect. No idea why my dad decided to move when I was 11 to small town Arizona. A major bad decision.

by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2021 3:42 AM

I live there now. It's gorgeous and perfect and I'll probably never leave. Not overrun with Republicans but we have more than I'd like because of the financial demographic.

Not a great night life for young Gays. Now that I'm old, I don't care. The restaurants are good.

by Anonymousreply 6September 28, 2021 3:47 AM

If you insist, darling.

by Anonymousreply 7September 28, 2021 3:48 AM

My grandfather in Western Pennsylvania was devoted to her. She was the patron saint of miners.

by Anonymousreply 8September 28, 2021 4:26 AM

I'd never heard that, R8! Where was your grandfather a miner? (Mine was a miner in several mines near Johnstown.)

by Anonymousreply 9September 28, 2021 1:39 PM

I only visited there for a little over a week for work but I knew right away I could retire there and be happy. I saw enough of the city to know how lovely it is.

How are the heat, fires, and earthquakes these days? I'd love to live in town near State Street and be able to walk to things.

by Anonymousreply 10September 28, 2021 2:14 PM

I had the biggest crush on Lane Davies.

by Anonymousreply 11September 28, 2021 2:17 PM

I knew a girl who lived in Santa Barbara. A giant letter C from a marquee fell on her.

And then she DIED.

by Anonymousreply 12September 28, 2021 2:29 PM

It's a place I'd like to stay. It will be the halfway point to drive from our place to Carmel/Monterey.

I was only there once, and just "downtown" for an hour or so. Didn't realize it was so student oriented. But a cute downtown.

by Anonymousreply 13September 28, 2021 2:31 PM

We used to go to the Arlington Theater to watch movies as a kid (I saw Star Wars there). It was so awesome. Spanish tile and fountains and then the theater itself had a little village scene on either side of the screen and twinkly lights like stars above. And then the courthouse is so spectacular - I use to explore it as a kid for hours. So beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 14September 28, 2021 5:10 PM

It might be beautiful but there’s no gay community. Go on grindr and scruff and you’ll see no pictures except for an occasional latino showing his ass. Pride festival is all Asians and Latinos. Gay white men are stuffed away in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 15September 28, 2021 6:49 PM

A beautiful snooze of a beachside town.

by Anonymousreply 16September 28, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote] Gay white men are stuffed away in the closet.

Is that closet of their own making?

I don't see how the place can be considered that homophobic. Even back in 2008, when Prop H8 happened, Santa Barbara County (with its main population being in the cities of Santa Barbara and Santa Maria) is the only county in Southern California where the majority voted "No."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 28, 2021 8:00 PM

R12. Did the “C” stand for CUNT?

by Anonymousreply 18September 28, 2021 8:07 PM

It's not homophobic, there's just no gay nightlife. It's great for older gays who are already settled down and want to walk their dogs and go out to dinner with other older people. If you want to dance, this is not the place.

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2021 9:47 PM

I've been there 3 times, on my way to other destinations. All 3 times I found it to be very quiet, staid, sedate and frankly rather dull. Not much to see or do. Maybe I missed something about it. Not that there's anything wrong with quiet and sedate. But similar beach areas such as La Jolla and Laguna Beach seemed to have so much more life to them. I'm sure Santa Barbara is a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit.

As far as no gay life, I can only say that a friend of mine graduated from UCSB about 25 years ago, and has told me it was a hotbed of easily available gay sex, back then at least.

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2021 10:01 PM

The only homophobic thing about this whole situation is OP’s and R15’s (who I’m guessing is OP) homophobic comments.

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2021 10:07 PM

R20 The old saying about Santa Barbara has always been "Home of the Newlyweds and Nearly Deads" (since it's been a popular honeymoon destination for locals on a budget as well as a place to which many people aspire to retire).

by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2021 10:15 PM

That's where Frankie & Grace live, right?

by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2021 10:17 PM

No, G and F live in La Jolla.

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2021 10:22 PM

La Jolla's in San Diego, right? I've been there. Lovely, but a little too perfect for me. It's like nobody farts there.

by Anonymousreply 25September 30, 2021 10:25 PM

R14 I have good memories of seeing the Clash at Arlington Theater in 1983

by Anonymousreply 26September 30, 2021 10:33 PM

It's beautiful, scenic, incredibly expensive and deadly dull. Also, these days it's prone to wildfires and mudslides, at least in the surrounding areas.

It's a great weekend trip with a friend or lover, as long as no one is looking for a wild and crazy club scene. If you're a student at UCSB, maybe you'll enjoy the nightlife to be found, but as a young gay? Probably not.

Daytrippers or weekenders can enjoy strolling the quaint downtown, visiting the missions or touring the nearby wineries. Santa Ynez is cute and 30-40 minutes north of town, and the hills and mountains are gorgeous to drive through.

Living there means you'd have to be well-off and disinterested in much other culture. As an eldergay, I don't think I'd be happy to be there full-time, although, of course, it would be far better than most other flyover hellholes.

by Anonymousreply 27September 30, 2021 11:47 PM

Solvang is nearby, too. Cute little town.

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2021 11:48 PM

[quote] That's where Frankie & Grace live, right?

Grace & Frankie's whacky hijinks would be far too lively for SB.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2021 11:55 PM

At least they've got Cruz Castillo and his skin tight jeans on the police force protecting people.

by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2021 8:54 AM

ex-partner's parents lived there and we visited them about 3 times, stayed in their granny unit. That was unusual because they were Mormon and we were not and unmarried. I didn't think it was all that special, although we did do a hike where we were able to see a whole bunch of monarch butterflies clustered on trees. i guess that's their mating place or a stopover on their flight. That was about the best of the whole thing.

I did hear that apparently it's a draw for artists because the light hits in a certain way that makes it very desirable to paint/draw landscapes. That's all i've got.

Solvang is not that close but it was much more interesting in my opinion. Definitely touristy, but had the wine tasting draw to it and the historical aspect to it.

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2021 9:03 AM

Santa Barbara is a lib town. Even the wealthy here are libs.

by Anonymousreply 32October 1, 2021 10:05 AM

Solvang is a once in a lifetime experience. You go there once and never need to go again.

by Anonymousreply 33October 1, 2021 10:31 AM

If you like uni, Santa Barbara has the best sea urchin in the world. It's a delicacy shipped out to Japan for $$$.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 1, 2021 7:39 PM

I never could get into Santa Barbara nor Sunset Beach.

by Anonymousreply 35October 1, 2021 7:49 PM

I seem to remember reading after I googled montecito that an openly gay older man who lived with his younger husband in Montecito died in a freak weather event but his younger hubby survived? So there are some openly gay people in this area.

by Anonymousreply 36October 1, 2021 7:59 PM

Jesus R36 it’s a heavily populated part if southern California of course there are openly gay men in the are. What year do you think this is? And what planet are you living on? Would you gasp at the though of openly gay men living in West Hollywood? Or London?

by Anonymousreply 37October 1, 2021 8:58 PM

r37 Of course there is but someone else suggested it was a very homophobic place and thus a strong likelihood of lots of closet cases. I was disputing the extent of that so hence you are actually agreeing with me!!

by Anonymousreply 38October 1, 2021 9:08 PM

R34 I recall walking out of the Breakwater Cafe one evening and seeing a commercial fishing boat unloading its massive haul of sea urchins onto the docks. I'd never realized this was a major industry for Santa Barbara. This was also back around 1980, when the Breakwater Cafe still had the best food deals in town.

by Anonymousreply 39October 1, 2021 10:31 PM

Does Gina still sell her Mrs. Capwell's Famous Cookies?

by Anonymousreply 40October 1, 2021 10:36 PM

Believe it, there is plenty of gays that are out, in lovely Santa Barbara. Anyone saying the place is conservative and anti-gay doesn't go there or live there. My gay brother has lived there for 40 years. He oughta know.

by Anonymousreply 41October 1, 2021 10:43 PM

My dad always takes me to the first/last Sambo's in SB. But I think it finally closed down.

by Anonymousreply 42October 1, 2021 11:02 PM

[quote] My dad always takes me to the first/last Sambo's in SB. But I think it finally closed down.

We had that removed before we bought our pile. Teddibly racist, you know. Made my wife cry.

by Anonymousreply 43October 2, 2021 12:32 AM

r37 Santa Barbara is not in a "heavily populated area."

by Anonymousreply 44October 2, 2021 1:42 AM

Santa Barbara is gorgeous and it definitely has a casual, CA elegance to it. I think I would be board out of my mind though. There are no gay bars in SB - the closest one is in Oxnard. Gay nightlife is not essential, but it is nice to have at least one place. I think it would be great for couples, great for families, or for the relaxed outdoorsy guy who loves hiking and the beach. There is not much bad to say about it. I think everyone thinks it's beautiful. It's just weather it suits the lifestyle you want.

by Anonymousreply 45October 2, 2021 2:57 AM

I'm retired and have considered moving there, but it's too far away from a major city and decent airport. And the health care situation is probably not up to big-city standards either. And don't they constantly have water problems?

by Anonymousreply 46October 2, 2021 6:02 AM

The healthcare system is just fine and you're not that far from LA, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 47October 2, 2021 2:52 PM

Plus it's usually on fire.

There are no gay bars because gay life consists of wealthy gay couples getting together for "game night" (Scattergories, Cranium, Telestrations, the Baby Boomer edition of Trivial Pursuit, and if feeling wild, Cards against Humanity). Tasteful buffet of snacks like baked artichoke dip, etc. Then back home and in bed by 9 to listen to Judy at Carnegie Hall again.

by Anonymousreply 48October 2, 2021 3:13 PM

So, it's Palm Springs with an ocean view?

by Anonymousreply 49October 2, 2021 3:43 PM

Santa Barbara has a decent airport - I've never had any problems with it.

by Anonymousreply 50October 2, 2021 4:28 PM

And much more pleasant temperatures than Palm Springs.

Not just an ocean view, you get oil rigs too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 2, 2021 4:51 PM

All oil rigs should be relocated to the shores off Mar a Lago

by Anonymousreply 52October 2, 2021 10:28 PM

Believe it or not, those oil rigs give me warm, fuzzy feelings. I could see the ocean from my bedroom window there in Santa Barbara and they were always twinkling out there at night, like little Christmas trees.

by Anonymousreply 53October 3, 2021 12:27 AM

My only knowledge of Santa Barbara is how it seemed to be used as code on The Hills whenever Heidi went off to get more plastic surgery.

"Let's go for a weekend in Santa Barbara," Spencer would say, and the next episode Heidi would have an entire new face.

by Anonymousreply 54October 3, 2021 12:34 AM

Huntington Beach got a nice warm fuzzy feeling today.

by Anonymousreply 55October 5, 2021 3:18 AM

Oil spill

by Anonymousreply 56October 5, 2021 3:20 AM

Downtown SB :/ state street is dead now and full of homeless people. The funk zone is still fun but it’s not completely safe either, especially by the train station. It’s a gorgeous town. Almost perfect weather.

by Anonymousreply 57October 5, 2021 3:33 AM

It has a Gay Men’s Chorus, OP

by Anonymousreply 58October 5, 2021 3:38 AM

When did State Street die, during the fucking pandemic? I was last there about 4-5 years ago, and it was thriving then.

by Anonymousreply 59October 5, 2021 5:52 PM

The Sovang clog is world renowned, r33.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 5, 2021 6:07 PM

^Solvang...dammit.

by Anonymousreply 61October 5, 2021 6:08 PM

I like Solvang!

But then, I like blatant tourist traps as long as they have free parking, and there's some decent food. When in Solvang, I like to stop for open-faced sandwiches and cookies.

by Anonymousreply 62October 5, 2021 6:40 PM

R59 it was really slowing down before the pandemic due to seediness, but since, it's like tumbleweeds are blowing through. Many of the shops and restaurants/bars have closed and it's dirty.

by Anonymousreply 63October 5, 2021 6:43 PM

From the Thrift Store thread...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 5, 2021 6:43 PM

Ventura is kind of the poor man's SB. It has a sort-of cute little downtown/Main St., a mission, and beaches. It's also closer to LA.

by Anonymousreply 65October 5, 2021 6:47 PM

I found the best food deals to be Rudy's, Nanking Garden and Casablanca, r39.

by Anonymousreply 66October 5, 2021 10:59 PM

We were stopped at a traffic light on State Street, with a long line of cars. Suddenly a group of 6 or 7 college aged kids began running in circles around our car, making several laps around it. Then they walked away laughing. I guess that's the most fun you can have in Santa Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 67October 7, 2021 2:51 AM

[quote]I like blatant tourist traps as long as they have free parking, and there's some decent food.

You might like Pea Soup Andersen's, on Highway 101 in Buellton, not too far from Solvang. It's been there since 1924. They have a full menu, but their claim to fame is the split pea soup, which is tasty - I think it has some bacon in it. If you order a bowl of it, they will refill it as many times as you want.

by Anonymousreply 68October 7, 2021 2:57 AM

Let's talk about

Barbara THORNDIKE

by Anonymousreply 69October 7, 2021 3:02 AM

It's very much like Santa Teresa.

by Anonymousreply 70October 7, 2021 3:23 AM

To R25, I live in La Jolla, trust me...People fart!!! Great restaurants & Beach in La Jolla. I LOVE Santa Barbara, Child #5 lives there with his wife& children. There is "alot of hidden old California money in both places though.

by Anonymousreply 71October 7, 2021 3:31 AM

Santa Barbara is an unusually beautiful place - most of it due to city planning.

It's no wonder so many famous people live next door in Montecito - where there literally is nothing to do.

But I don't think I could live there full time. It has a lot of charm for a weekend, but full-time may be a bit trying.

Lovely homes and architecture. At a price.

by Anonymousreply 72October 7, 2021 3:38 AM

Let's talk about Saint Barbra!

by Anonymousreply 73October 7, 2021 3:43 AM

It's as close as you can get to the French Riviera in the US. Although the demographic trends white, old, and affluent... it has a large, historic, latino community, lots of students (UCSB), and is more affordable than you'd guess.

I'm always interested in posters who list "boring, nothing to do...", and I guess it's nightlife, etc. I mean there are a lot of drugs in Santa Barbara, always have been. And the beach - boats, boards, waves, islands with great camping/hiking. And an infinite number of great hiking all around the mountains... all the way back to Ojai, or Mt Figueroa. Horseback riding. And it's sort of a University town.. lots of events there. The local art museum isn't much. The local community college used to have a huge adult ed program... at one point SB had the highest % or residents involved in lifelong learning (personal growth groups, pottery, yoga, writing, art history etc etc) of anyplace outside of Denmark. I think that's not so much true as it used to be - funding, and.. the internet.

Did I say there are a lot of drugs there? I did?

by Anonymousreply 74October 7, 2021 3:52 AM

I don't know if it's still there, but the Museum of Art in SB used to have this huge "sculpture" in the front that was like two metal poles with a large metal block between them. It was so ugly! As a kid, that was probably my first introduction to "modern art".

by Anonymousreply 75October 7, 2021 3:56 AM

R68 I believe Anderson's is no more.

by Anonymousreply 76October 7, 2021 9:04 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 7, 2021 9:05 AM

Andersons well canned peanut soup, which is good for canned, and you can get it with or without bacon.

No need to stop at their restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 78October 7, 2021 1:17 PM

R76 - Andersen's is still there. I ate there last year and bought some soup earlier this year. However, it is definitely on its last legs. I could see how it was THE place to go years ago, but it feels like a relic now.

by Anonymousreply 79October 8, 2021 1:09 AM

Sorry for the incoherence, my phone tends to do that to posts. I meant to say that Anderson's sells canned pea soup that's sold all over California at least, it's good for canned soup and comes with or without the "bacon".

I remember stopping at the restaurant in years past and being completely underwhelmed by the food other than the soup, I'll get a much better meal at In-N-Out Burger. Or in Solvang, tourist trap that it is.

by Anonymousreply 80October 8, 2021 4:58 AM

It’s so easy to make pea soup.

by Anonymousreply 81October 8, 2021 5:48 PM

As it turns out, we may be going there for a few days next month.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for charming places to stay - if not IN Santa Barbara, then nearby?

by Anonymousreply 82October 13, 2021 11:02 PM

When I was younger I read the alphabet murder series by Sue Grafton and it made me want to see Santa Barbara

by Anonymousreply 83October 13, 2021 11:06 PM

I demand that this song be played as I approach the city limits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 13, 2021 11:10 PM

Having pasta and wine by candlelight at Olio e Limone or people watching on the patio at Carlito’s… those were the days.

by Anonymousreply 85October 13, 2021 11:11 PM

UCSB grad here. Loved every minute of my 4 years there.

by Anonymousreply 86October 13, 2021 11:16 PM

I recommended Andersen's because the other poster said thay like "blatant tourist traps," which Andersen's is, although the pea soup is good enough to stop for a quick bowl of it. Also they had an interesting candy shop with unusual candies and bakery goods, plus souvenirs, at least the last time I was there (2014). And on reading their web site, the pea soup is actually vegetarian, although you can get bacon bits sprinkled on top if you want. And it's all you want on the soup. Otherwise it's a run-of-the-mill roadside diner.

by Anonymousreply 87October 13, 2021 11:17 PM

R64 I dont know if they’re still there but there used to be some really great thrift stores right on State Street, I found some great clothes there thru the years

by Anonymousreply 88October 13, 2021 11:17 PM

Speaking of Solvang, is the mini pony farm still there? I remember hearing the owners sold it a couple years ago

by Anonymousreply 89October 13, 2021 11:19 PM

R82 Montecito Inn is nice if youre on a quasi-budget, if possible I’d spring for Biltmore Four Seasons and sit out on the patio and have drinks and watch the sunset. If youre headed to Santa Barbara wine country I really like Ballard Inn

by Anonymousreply 90October 13, 2021 11:24 PM

There is one minor problem with Santa Barbara, Malibu, and really all the beaches from Point Conception until just before Santa Monica, except Ventura/Oxnard. It is that the beaches face south, so you can't sit on the beach and watch the sunset over the ocean. From Santa Monica southward, the beaches face west, so you can enjoy the glorious sight of the sunset directly over the ocean (and the green flash if you are lucky).

by Anonymousreply 91October 13, 2021 11:25 PM

You type rich R82. Try the new Rosewood.

Four Seasons is till closed due to the pandemic. Which is tragic.

Avoid Bacara (Ritz Carlton) grossly overrated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 13, 2021 11:26 PM

Anderson’s is closed for good, which will disappoint those of you who last went in 1985. I recommend Los Alamos, if you’re going up that way. My father drove us up to SB for mini getaways when I was growing up, we’d stay at the Four Seasons, which was the then new name for the Biltmore. I liked it because they had croquet, and therefore something to do when my parents were tired. Thank you, OP, for acknowledging that many surfers are homophobes. They’re all about PUSSAY, and you’d better be on board with that, so you don’t try and fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 93October 13, 2021 11:32 PM

I'm R76, so this is to R79, R93. I also knew it was closed. I don't appreciate someone that ate there x-amount of time ago telling others it is open... then they go there and are disappointed. Thank you R93 for backing me up on that.

by Anonymousreply 94October 13, 2021 11:57 PM

R90 thanks!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 95October 14, 2021 3:49 AM

And you too R92 (not sure I'm quite that flush, but we'll see)

by Anonymousreply 96October 14, 2021 3:50 AM

Did Todd McKee (Ted Capwell) just confirm he traveled with bachelor Lane Davies (Mason Capwell)?....Oh My....Interview Link------>>"Lane and I both had our contracts ending at the same time. One morning I walked into the rehearsal room to get a bagel and there was Lane getting some coffee. He asked if I was planning on re signing and I said no and he said that he wasn't going to re sign either. I asked what he was going to do. He said, "I'm thinking of going to the south of France and study French for a month and then travel around the world, wanna come ?" After a brief pause, "Okay." We bought our round the world tickets that very same day !!!! It was the best trip ever".......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 25, 2021 8:47 AM

R3 Every place is Republican, according to DL.

by Anonymousreply 98November 25, 2021 9:32 AM

R15 "Pride festival is all Asians and Latinos" And that's bad, because?

by Anonymousreply 99November 25, 2021 9:33 AM

There's always Edie Sedgwick's father's sculpture of St. Francis receiving the stigmata at Mission Santa Barbara. Jesus! Why can't we post the actual pic! Some of us are too fucking busy to click on links! WHERE's the manager!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 25, 2021 12:42 PM

Rose: Sue Ellen, have you ever had a 48-hour orgasm?

Sue Ellen: No, I've never been to Santa Barbara!

by Anonymousreply 101November 25, 2021 1:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!