Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Incredible View Of Lava From Spain's La Palma Volcano...

...swallowing an upscale neighborhood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2022 7:25 PM

BURNING LAVA to the fascist insect that preys upon the people!

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2021 10:50 PM

Amazing. Miss Gaia cutta bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2021 10:50 PM

Why don't they just build a wall to keep it away?

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2021 10:53 PM

Lava is molten rock, and rock becomes molten at about 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. There are few substances on this planet that can hold it back without being dissolved itself. A brick or stone wall would just be consumed by the lava.

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2021 11:02 PM

I wonder if a very thick wall of dry ice would work. Dropped in my Superman, of course.

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2021 11:05 PM

Only if Superman then sucked in the vast amount of poisonous gas released from quenching lava, it's causing problems as it hits the sea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2021 11:35 PM

In 1973 the town of Vestmannaeyjar, Norway was in danger of being consumed by lava from the Edlfell volcano. They pumped massive amounts of sea water onto the encroaching lava. Some of the town was destroyed but they were able to stop the flow from completely destroying their town and their vital fishing harbor.

Those Norwegians know what they're doing.

[quote] Using over 30km of pipes and 43 pumps, they pumped over 6 million cubic meters of seawater onto the advancing lava flow. The lava cooling operation started in February, when the lava flow started to encroach into town, and ended in July. After the eruption ended, the residents returned and cleared the lava flows in several areas, rebuilding the buildings destroyed in the eruption. In addition to their recovery operation, the residents of Vestmannaeyja converted the cooling lava flows into a source of heat for water and electricity! The ash fall out was used as material for landfill as well as road material for the airport runway.

by Anonymousreply 7September 27, 2021 12:05 AM

Oh I love that cute detective show filmed there - The Mallorca Files. They finished the 2d season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 27, 2021 2:16 AM

At first I was confused and thought this was happening in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.

by Anonymousreply 9September 27, 2021 4:42 AM

“...swallowing an upscale neighborhood.”

The volcano is pushing through the upper-crust.

by Anonymousreply 10September 27, 2021 6:51 AM

I wonder whether lava inspired zombie movies. Fast-moving it ain't.

by Anonymousreply 11September 27, 2021 12:26 PM

Not getting better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2021 2:17 AM

Lava, you got some Spain'n to do!

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2021 2:34 AM

The live stream is mesmerizing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2021 2:48 AM

Another view:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2021 11:35 PM

In Two Thousand years scientists will excavate La Palma it will be the Pompeii of the 41st Century.

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2021 11:39 PM

Scientists should harness that lava flow and transform it into some kind of NEW energy source for the 21st century. Our fossil fuels reserves are just about depleted and eight billion people can't survive on wind and solar energy.

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2021 11:43 PM

Hope all the gay guys make it out okay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 29, 2021 11:48 PM

This is so sad.

by Anonymousreply 19September 29, 2021 11:55 PM

R18 I think they'll be fine on Gran Canaria unless the lava manages to flow 220 miles across the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2021 12:16 AM

Drone flight over the wash that feeds the lower island; It runs flanked by banana plantations, on its way to the sea; view of the accumulated cone on the cliff on which the lava moves and view of the formed delta (low island). Side and overhead views, showing contact with the sea. (per Google translator)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2021 2:31 AM

I must have seen some movie about Pompeii as a child because lava freaks me out. Slow moving terror has a weird effect on me - like slow moving zombies.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2021 2:44 AM

A new vent opened yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2021 11:19 PM

It's going off tonight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 2, 2021 12:40 AM

The worst thing is really is that it has come straight after Covid.

Spain's economy is crushed and will take years to recover, diverting resources to a small Island 900 miles away isn't really an option..

by Anonymousreply 25October 2, 2021 12:56 AM

A recent 4.5 earthquake caused an intensification of the lava flow. A literal lava tsunami was filmed in the last few days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2021 7:53 PM

Gigantic boulders tumbling down the lava flows. Dios mio!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2021 8:14 PM

Terrifying

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2021 8:25 PM

I saw a very sad report the other day of dogs that had been encircled by lava and were starving. Some group had sent in drones carrying food for the dogs. I hope they've found a way to get them out.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2021 8:47 PM

I've been checking out the live-feeds every night over the past couple weeks. Really fascinating to see the way it has grown & evolved, and the way the lava flows have changed from night-to-night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2021 8:47 PM

I was just going to post a story about them, R29. For those unware, the dogs are trapped in an walled enclosure (a dry water-catchment basin). No one can get to them by foot, and helicopters won't fly in due to safety concerns. However, a cargo-drone company is formulating a plan to capture & fly them out. It will be incredible if they can pull this off....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2021 9:01 PM

Why's it gotta be BLACK lava

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2021 9:03 PM

The planet's been around for billions of years and it's internal workings still need to 'vent' off excess material. I try to grasp the idea of how much lava has been spewing from that one volcano... it started so deep under the ocean, kept going and going until the volcano broke the water's surface and kept going over time, eventually becoming an island. At some point it became habitable along the way mankind arrived and settled.

Erath, nature, whatever you want to call it doesn't care. It's time to vent more material, it's gotta come out somewhere and drain off downhill to the ocean.

Incredible and incredibly impressive.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2021 9:16 PM

All the horror caused by volcanoes is 100% due to human beings being where mother nature did not plan for them to be. And that old girl does not change her ways just for anybody.

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2021 10:02 PM

It's a week old now, but this is a great comparison photo of how it began/how it's going.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2021 10:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2021 11:45 PM

R34, the twist to what you wrote is that while you think Mother Nature does not want us near volcanoes, the lava flows create incredibly fertile soil, which we need to grow crops to eat.

For millenia, man HAD to live in the shadow of volcanoes...

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2021 11:29 AM

It takes millions of years for that lava to turn into fertile soil good for planting.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2021 2:44 PM

There's an Icelander who has been posting videos of the Geldingadalir volcano which is now quiet, so he traveled to La Palma and has been taking some pretty decent drone footage of their volcano for a few days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2021 2:46 PM

Jon K is there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2021 4:31 PM

I watched a video of a hot guy from guardia civil feeding a dog. I wish I had saves it.

by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2021 7:13 AM

OH MY GOD. Come to me daddy🤤🤤🤤🤤

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2021 7:20 AM

R29: Did you see this?! (I'm not sure how I missed it). A mysterious group of rescuers hiked into the area -- illegally -- and rescued the dogs! They left behind a giant spray-painted banner on the wall:

"Stay strong La Palma. The dogs are fine. ~ A-Team"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 4, 2021 4:41 PM

What a relief. Thank goodness for those heroes. I've had this thread on my watcher for a couple of months afraid to open it and learn the dogs perished in the most horrific way. But they didn't!!!

by Anonymousreply 44January 19, 2022 6:48 PM

R7 Norway, Jose!

by Anonymousreply 45January 19, 2022 7:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!