Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Science Fiction and Fantasy Books

I haven't really been into them since I was a teenager, but I devoured them back then. Tolkien, of course, Ursula Le Guin, the Xanth novels of Piers Anthony. What were your favorites? Do you still read them as an adult?

by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2021 4:05 PM

I enjoyed Guy Gavriel Kay's historical fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 1September 23, 2021 12:37 AM

Anything by H.G. Wells!

by Anonymousreply 2September 23, 2021 1:08 AM

Love them. While I like the old school authors, some modern writers are pretty good.

- Brandon Sanderson is good.

- Steven Erickson mammoth series is pretty good, but a bit of a slog.

- Of course, Willima Gibson

- Dan Simmons Hyperion series.

- Octavia Butler

The real problem is when some of the big older names tried to cash in and extended their famous works with sequels - looking at you, Frank Herbert and Isaac Asimov.

by Anonymousreply 3September 23, 2021 2:40 AM

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson

The Peripheral, Neuromancer - William Gibson

by Anonymousreply 4September 23, 2021 5:47 AM

Looking forward to Wheel of Time on Amazon and the LoTR series as well.

by Anonymousreply 5September 24, 2021 2:54 PM

I like Lovecraftian science fiction where the universe is truly alien and the scale beyond human capacity for understanding. My modern favorites are:

Blindsight by Peter Watts

Three Body Problem (trilogy) by Liu Cixin

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2021 4:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!