Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix buys Roald Dahl catalogue including Willie Wonka

Netflix announced Wednesday that it’s bought Roald Dahl Story Co., acquiring the rights to all of the works by the children’s author, including “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and “Matilda.”

The streaming giant said it plans to use the catalog 𝒕𝒐 𝒄𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆 “𝒂 𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒒𝒖𝒆 𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒆” 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒅𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆-𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒇𝒊𝒍𝒎𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑻𝑽 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒘𝒔, as well as games, live theater and consumer products.

The company declined to share how much it paid for the titles, which also include “Fantastic Mr. Fox,” “James and the Giant Peach,” and “The Twits.”

The deal comes three years after Netflix agreed to create a slate of animated TV series based on some of Dahl’s works, including “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and “Matilda.”

------------------

Being Netflix I suppose this means lots of teen nudity and gritty sex between 6-pack abs Charlie, C-cup Veruca Salt, bi Violet Beauregarde , and black Augustus Gloop. Of course Mike Teevee already was signaling where he was headed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 23, 2021 7:47 AM

Does that include the screenplay for You Only Live Twice?

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2021 10:16 PM

Let's hope they don't hire Tim Burton or Johnny Depp for any of their versions of the shows.

by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2021 10:32 PM

They need to do Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the book's title) with the original African pygmies, before they were changed out for orange dwarves.

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2021 10:33 PM

I wonder if this includes his adult writings. I'd like to see an adaptation of "My Uncle Oswald," in which a team of steampunk IVS entrepreneurs steal famous men's semen.

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2021 10:51 PM

Disgusting anti-Semite.

Well, at least the fact he’s not cancelled will reassure the posters who are always despairing “Hollywood’s irretrievably woke.”

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2021 10:59 PM

It's bizarre how people think that the personal opinions of an author mean that his entire oeuvre is trash and should be shunned. He's long dead, I don't think he can hurt you now.

Good stories and writing are good stories and writing.

by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2021 11:20 PM

r4 "My Uncle Oswald" is one of my favorite books that I re-read occasionally. I'll settle for Dahl's original version though, because I'm interested to see how the film will be cast. Having to see all those famous personages on screen will be a treat.

by Anonymousreply 7September 23, 2021 3:56 AM

Did Tessa Dahl own the rights?

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2021 4:12 AM

I love his shows like Way Out (a precursor to The Twilight Zone) and, decades later, Tales of the Unexpected.

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2021 4:13 AM

[quote] Disgusting anti-Semite.

Yes, a Sinful Semitiphobe!. We all hate him!

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2021 6:03 AM

I would like to see someone make a Henry Sugar movie.

by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2021 6:28 AM

[quote]Disgusting anti-Semite. Well, at least the fact he’s not cancelled will reassure the posters who are always despairing “Hollywood’s irretrievably woke.

It's only Jews he has a particular hatred of. And women too. But apart from that he's amazing!

by Anonymousreply 12September 23, 2021 6:35 AM

Dahl had a disagreement with this venal man—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 23, 2021 7:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!