Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Americans are using alcohol to cope with pandemic stress: Nearly 1 in 5 report 'heavy drinking'

More than 18 months into the COVID-19 outbreak in the U.S., nearly 1 in 5 Americans is consuming an unhealthy amount of alcohol, a new survey suggests.

About 17% of respondents reported "heavy drinking" in the past 30 days, according to the survey conducted by analytics firm The Harris Poll and commissioned by Alkermes, an Ireland-based biopharmaceutical company.

The survey was conducted online from March 30 to April 7 among 6,006 U.S. adults ages 21 and older. Of those, 1,003 adults reported "heavy drinking."

"Heavy drinking" was defined as having had two heavy drinking days in a single week at least twice in the previous 30 days. A "heavy drinking day" was defined as four or more drinks containing alcohol for women and five or more drinks containing alcohol for men.

Dr. Neeraj Gandotra, chief medical officer at the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, said the study's findings were "not surprising." Almost 90% of individuals with substance use disorder are not in treatment, and alcohol and drug use typically worsen with isolation, Gandotra said.

.oembed-frame {width:100%;height:100%;margin:0;border:0;}

Several studies have suggested Americans are buying more alcohol and drinking more frequently during the coronavirus pandemic.

A study by the RAND Corp. last fall found the frequency of alcohol consumption in the U.S. rose 14% compared with before the pandemic. Women, in particular, increased heavy drinking days by 41%, according to the study.

Another study by researchers at the University of Arizona found "dramatic increases in harmful alcohol consumption" over the first six months of the pandemic. Greater alcohol consumption was most associated with job loss due to COVID-19, according to the study.

"While we are still learning how the COVID pandemic is impacting alcohol use, it seems clear that some people are drinking more while others are drinking less. In many studies, increases in consumption during the pandemic were linked to increases in stress," National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Director Dr. George Koob told USA TODAY.

Stress of world events and anxiety about the future can increase drinking and exacerbate symptoms of alcohol use disorder, as seen in the wake of previous disasters such as 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina, Koob wrote in a blog post last year.

As the world continues to battle COVID-19, it's not clear if the trend is continuing.

"Dozens of relatively small survey studies have assessed alcohol consumption at various points during the pandemic, but it is unclear from these cross-sectional studies whether patterns of consumption are changing for people as the pandemic drags on," Koob said. "It is entirely possible that levels of consumption continued to increase over time for some people while decreasing for others."

According to the new Harris Poll survey, many respondents who reported heavy drinking said that, over the last 12 months, they experienced negative mental, physical and psychosocial impacts.

Three in 10 said they continued to drink despite it making them feel depressed or anxious or adding to another health problem. About 1 in 4 reported they continued to drink after experiencing a memory blackout. More than one in five 1 in 5 experienced withdrawal symptoms when the effects of alcohol were wearing off. And 23% gave up or cut back on activities that were important or interesting to them in order to drink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2021 10:08 PM

So if a guy has two days a week in which he has 5 drinks he is an alcoholic?

Whatever. Cheers 🍸

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2021 6:51 PM

I cut down in mid August. So far so good.

by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2021 6:57 PM

Oh they're blaming it on that are they? The Under-40s have been swilling the booze every day for years.

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2021 8:21 PM

What the fuck else was there to do during lockdown?

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2021 8:41 PM

I'm using food.

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2021 8:52 PM

Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2021 8:55 PM

I drank too much during lockdown and have cut back. Seems I am not alone.

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2021 8:57 PM

I find that participating in various levels of street violence is enhanced by a drink, or two.

by Anonymousreply 8September 22, 2021 8:59 PM

I quit drinking in mid August. It was really out of control. I feel much better, but it’s weird being out with friends now. I feel so left out. Part of me hopes that everything gets shut down again, so I have an excuse to stay home with Netflix and Pellegrinos.

by Anonymousreply 9September 22, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote] Women, in particular, increased heavy drinking days by 41%, according to the study.

Stay away, Jaedyn! Mommy's having her evening drinkypoo!

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2021 9:45 PM

Booze took the edge off. Pot makes me peppy and edgy. Spring 2020 were the most nerve wracking and I ate lots of comfort foods heavy in meat, sauces and cheese. Wine to liquify it in the stomach. And whisky chaser.

I can't believe how long that dragged on!!! If this is another winter I'll flip. It's already 2 winters!

Don't think USA is only country with vaccine hesitancy. My Swiss uni started and in some of my classes 50% of the students are forbidden from the campus because they aren't vaccinated. The school was shocked. They just assumed most were vaccinated. And we profs were immediately pressed to reinvent again and do "hybrid" teaching to both students in the room and at home.

by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2021 10:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!