Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christmas Tree

I usually get a real tree, but have been considering getting an artificial tree for a while. And, they are on sale right now.

Have any of you purchased an artificial tree over the last few years?

If so, what kind did you get? With lights or not? If pre-lit how long did the lights work?

What brand? How tall? Slim or full? Flocked or green?

White lights or multi-color? Easy to store?

Description, please.

And if you had it to do over again, would you get the same one or something different and why?

What do you know now about them that you wished you knew then?

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 72October 6, 2021 8:30 AM

I bought an artificial tree from Wayfair last year. It’s 7 feet (I live in a condo and don’t want anything bigger). I bought one that wasn’t prelit so I could have the flexibility to change the color scheme if I wanted to do so-a fake tree should last for several years if it’s stored correctly.

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2021 3:57 PM

Aluminum is the only way to go OP. Trust me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2021 3:57 PM

Get one that doesn't have shit on it.

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2021 3:59 PM

Switched over to fake trees many years ago. We got a nice one from Home Depot that was on sale and has the lights in it already. It looks great, fast and easy to set up, no mess, no guilt for chopping down trees to be temporary decorations before throwing them in the trash. The lights change color, can do white or multi color so we can change the tree up from year to year. There's really no downside at all.

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2021 4:01 PM

If you're gonna do it (and they look fine), get the prelit.

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2021 4:01 PM

I have a small 1951 ranch house, and finding a real tree small enough so that doesn't completely overwhelm the entire living room can be hard. Several years ago I bought a cute little aluminum-look "pencil tree." It's period-appropriate for my house (yes, I have MCM decor), but we don't have to rearrange the furniture to accommodate it.

Every so often I do miss a real tree and we'll get one, but usually we regret the hassle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2021 4:07 PM

If you've got some $$ and you plan to keep it for awhile, go big & buy a nice one from Frontgate or Balsam Hill.

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2021 4:08 PM

I hate my yearly fight with strings of lights so I would definitely go for a pre-lit one if I was in the market (no spare money this year).

Spend the most you can afford, OP. Artificial trees can either look like shit or truly beautiful. Like most things, it depends on your finances.

by Anonymousreply 8September 22, 2021 4:32 PM

We have two artificial trees, one large, very full one for the living room (11 foot ceilings) and one smaller, somewhat skinnier table top tree for the TV room (upstairs, 10 foot ceilings).

Thoughts:

The large one, bought at an expensive garden center many years ago, requires assembly and take down, there are multiple vertical sections, the branches have to be moved around and spread out, it takes a little work. But it is terrific looking. It is unlit. We have a large collection of ornaments gathered at places all over the world during our 40 years together, as well as some inherited ones like blown candles that clip on. Lord and Taylor used to have spectacular after-Christmas ornaments sales, too. At the moment we are using colored lights. Pretty spectacular. It stores away in a large box (coffin sized).

The smaller one was my parents', bought after they downsized and dad was not willing to shop for a live one. At 6 feet, it comes apart in three sections plus there is a fake planter pot that it sits in. Six feet is a nice size for a table top tree if you have the ceiling height. It was pre-lit with white lights. Over the years they have failed in sections or individually. A couple of years ago when I assembled it I took all the lights off (had to snip them) and now use strands of white lights. On this tree we use the white lights, strands of wooden small red balls, and the old fashioned glass balls (Shiny Brite, etc.). It sits in a bay window and looks great from the outside as well as the inside. The combo of the colored glass balls and white lights works.

In shopping for an artificial tree, get the fullest one you can, and try to see it assembled. You don't want to be able to see the structure of the tree or to see through it. Upscale garden centers used to have the best ones (think rich suburbs) but few of those operations still survive, I'm afraid. Don't go cheap.

Merry, merry!

by Anonymousreply 9September 22, 2021 4:49 PM

I have a chronic disease and this year, for the first time, I’m unable to assemble and decorate my Balsam Hill artificial 7’ tree. I’m instead putting up a tiny assed Hallmark table top tree with their miniature ornaments on it.

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2021 4:52 PM

Better yet, OP -- Skip all that holiday decoration folderol!

I do and very happy with my decision.

by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2021 4:53 PM

The best thing about having an artificial tree is not having to vacuum up all those needles.

by Anonymousreply 12September 22, 2021 5:00 PM

OMFG OP how many questions you ask of strangers. Demanding much?

by Anonymousreply 13September 22, 2021 5:01 PM

I like an irregular airy tree and they don't seem to be able to fake it with artificial trees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 22, 2021 5:06 PM

Shopping for trees with my family when I was young was always a terrible experience. My father had no patience for it and would point to the ugliest tree there, buy it, and take it home. It was a glaring example to me that I did not have a perfect family. The trees always looked fine after they were decorated, though. One year we made homemade ornaments and my father made silly ugly ones. I still have the one he made of a white Styrofoam ball with a silly face composed of sequins attached with straight pins. He was cranky but we loved him.

by Anonymousreply 15September 22, 2021 5:22 PM

After years of buying real Noble Firs we broke down and bought a fake tree after I found a sweet little tree frog, who secretly came with our last real tree, in distress on the carpet shortly before Christmas. He must have left the shelter of the tree to look for food. I tried to save him, put him outside, dribbled some water on him, and made him a leaf shelter, but sadly, he did not survive. That was it, no more real trees! Plus, watering them daily and vacuuming needles are a pain.

Now I have a 9 foot narrow fake tree, pre-lit with white lights. I add color lights anyway, I prefer them, but the tree was a bargain at $99 and just the size I wanted. Each year I decorate it I scold myself for buying such a tall tree, thinking, "why the fuck did I buy a tree that requires teetering on a ladder to decorate?" I'm old, I could fall off the ladder and kill myself. It always looks gorgeous though, laden with my vintage and new glass ornament collection. Sitting by it through winter is such a pleasure. And because it's fake I can leave it up through June! I don't though, I take it down mid-January.

by Anonymousreply 16September 22, 2021 5:31 PM

You're a kind person, R16. I'll bet your fake tree is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 17September 22, 2021 5:42 PM

I have a skinny green one that does not overwhelm.

by Anonymousreply 18September 22, 2021 5:48 PM

We live in the woods and for many years we'd climb the mountain and cut one down and drag it all the way home. Then we went to cut your own lots. Finally, we broke down and bought an artificial one. It is quite lovely and very realistic. We like fresh but as stated above it is too much mess and a fire risk. These trees are lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 22, 2021 5:49 PM

That's a great tree, R14. I love Nordmann firs, which are big in Europe but hard to find here.

Whenever I go to the UK after Christmas (and before COVID) you'd see them out for collection and those fuckers won't give up a needle no matter what you do.

Spend money on a fake tree. You get what you pay for.

I had real last year... it turned out it was so fresh (and I left it up so long) it started sprouting new growth! I felt like a killer when I took it to the curb.

by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2021 5:51 PM

A friend who would probably know says that Christmas stuff was out earlier than normal this year because the shipping issues are impacting that too - so in other words if you want one buy it NOW.

by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2021 5:58 PM

R10 sounds so sweet I’d love to go to his house, set up his big tree and decorate it for him (with his help).

Oh, and get your mind out of the gutter, boys, that’s not a euphemism.

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2021 6:12 PM

Thank you for the nice thought., r22

by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2021 6:21 PM

I, too, have given up on the yearly Christmas tree. If anything, I'd get a wreath.

by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2021 6:25 PM

Those make great cockrings for holiday parties.

by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2021 6:33 PM

My uncle was a New York firefighter. After witnessng the carnage resulting from fires caused by real trees his family always had an artificial one.

by Anonymousreply 26September 22, 2021 6:36 PM

It's just going to end up on the floor, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 22, 2021 6:46 PM

We always get a real one. I feel vaguely guilty but remind myself that they do have Christmas tree farms and it’s not like I’m personally decimating the forest. I’m in NYC and they mulch them so that makes me feel better too.

They are definitely messier. I have considered a fake one privately but haven’t ever even mentioned it to my partner…he’d consider it almost sacrilege.

by Anonymousreply 28September 22, 2021 6:47 PM

R16, thanks for sharing that. And thank you for trying to help the poor tree frog, and for changing your choice of tree in light of the experience. I'm grateful there are kind people like you in the world.

by Anonymousreply 29September 22, 2021 6:48 PM

OP, OCD and malignant narcissism will, indeed, attract responses to your needless and manipulative demands here.

Google is the friend to you that you are not to people at the DL.

by Anonymousreply 30September 22, 2021 6:48 PM

I love white birches, and ten or so years ago I ran across an artificial white birch tree at Target. It's about six feet tall and the tips of the branches are pre-lit. No ornaments, no additions, just the tree. It's the only Christmas season decoration I put out. In the dark, it seems to float. I'll be sad when it eventually kicks the can. I can't think of anything to replace it; perhaps a poinsettia or two on my piano.

by Anonymousreply 31September 22, 2021 6:50 PM

Here are Wirecutter's choices. I don't have a tree but though this might help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 22, 2021 6:51 PM

If I'm in the states for the holiday I'll buy Chinese decor at bargain prices and haul it back to Switzerland and France. We don't get "the best" Chinese crap, it's outrageously overpriced, and small selection. Some of this crap is now displayed at chalets in Megève, Verbier and Zermatt where my fancy gay friends find it so amusing.

Chinese crap is a curse and blessing but you sure have a great selection at tempting prices.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 22, 2021 6:52 PM

You can get those at the dollar store, r33.

by Anonymousreply 34September 22, 2021 6:57 PM

I have a real Christmas tree at the back of the garden, that's as close as holiday decorations ever get near to my house.

by Anonymousreply 35September 22, 2021 7:09 PM

Yes, R33, we do have a plethora of dirt cheap Chinese crap here in America. A mixed blessing for sure.

Outrageous home prices, but you can decorate for pennies.

by Anonymousreply 36September 22, 2021 9:09 PM

Imagine how ironic your post will seem to future googlers, R30, who stumble across this thread (and DL) while seeking more personal opinions and stories about artificial Christmas trees.

by Anonymousreply 37September 22, 2021 10:20 PM

When I was a child we had a blowjob tree

by Anonymousreply 38September 22, 2021 10:30 PM

R38 I guess that was your dad’s dick?

by Anonymousreply 39September 22, 2021 10:50 PM

We do both. One beautiful, full and real. Was into the Fraser firs for years but bought a Douglas fir last year and loved it. Real is downstairs with full regalia for us and our holiday guests (and the window to the street). For the master bedroom we have artificial and flocked with a special set of ornaments (pre lit from balsam hill). It’s artificial and we deliberately went with one that does not even try to look real. But it’s beautiful and nice to have upstairs in our room.

by Anonymousreply 40September 22, 2021 11:41 PM

I’m gonna fuck myself to sleep

by Anonymousreply 41September 23, 2021 12:05 AM

Smell you, r40!

We have TWO!! Neener neener.

(I’m only funning ya, hon!)

by Anonymousreply 42September 23, 2021 12:22 AM

A couple of years ago I switched to 2 pre-lit table top trees for my living room side tables. Along with a few more well placed and tasteful decorations (nut crackers etc.), I have I no need for a large tree any longer and don't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 43September 23, 2021 12:22 AM

Y’all put trees IN your house?

We put our houses in trees.

by Anonymousreply 44September 23, 2021 12:22 AM

[quote] Along with a few more well placed and tasteful decorations (nut crackers etc.),

Is that your husband?

by Anonymousreply 45September 23, 2021 12:24 AM

Lovely story R16!😇 I have a 9 foot pre-lit tree also. 4 parts - very full. I curse putting it up every year, on the ladder, also! But it does look beautiful decorated until Feb when I have to take it all down again and put it in public storage.

by Anonymousreply 46September 23, 2021 12:25 AM

OP sounds exhausting

by Anonymousreply 47September 23, 2021 12:31 AM

I bought 2 4 foot fiber optic trees after season on sale 2 years ago. They go on small tables in front of the windows. Easy as hell. I have no good memories of Christmas growing up so that is as good as it gets for me.

by Anonymousreply 48September 23, 2021 12:42 AM

I’m sorry to hear that, r48. I truly am.

Christmas is some of my best memories. Mom loved it, Dad not so much but he went along.

I wish you could come to my house on Christmas. We’d make some good Christmas memories for you.

by Anonymousreply 49September 23, 2021 12:44 AM

R 14 Love this irregular tree. After years of having a real tree, I started developing allergies to them. This is exactly what I'm looking for!

by Anonymousreply 50September 23, 2021 4:53 AM

I can't even imagine having a fake tree. I'm old now and the trees I buy have gotten smaller but a fake one? Never. It just wouldn't be the same.

by Anonymousreply 51September 23, 2021 5:07 AM

R49. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 52September 23, 2021 7:00 AM

I second that r49. Merry Christmas to you.

by Anonymousreply 53September 23, 2021 10:37 PM

And r52

by Anonymousreply 54September 23, 2021 10:37 PM

We bought one from Balsam Hill a few months ago, will be debuting it this Xmas. Plus, Balsam Hill supplies all those annoying lights in all the Hallmark Channel Christmas movies!

by Anonymousreply 55September 23, 2021 10:43 PM

I love that info tibit, thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 23, 2021 10:51 PM

I love my Balsam Hill

by Anonymousreply 57September 23, 2021 11:26 PM

Last Christmas I learned my partner, who hates girlie romantic movies, was watching Hallmark Christmas moves in secret. I was shocked! I felt I was living with a stranger. I hate Hallmark Christmas movies, although I'll watch for a bit just for the décor and twinkling lights. I like the snow scenes in pretty small Eastern towns. Maybe this year I'll watch a couple with him. It's so strange, but now I think he avoided them, and scary movies too, because he reacts to them emotionally. He's aging and his inner old lady is coming out.

by Anonymousreply 58September 26, 2021 4:06 AM

It’s FUCKING SEPTEMBER, OP.

Get: 1) a life; and, 2) back to us in 3 months.

by Anonymousreply 59September 26, 2021 4:10 AM

MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 26, 2021 4:26 AM

The gay tree is so terribly cheap looking. And dated. I think I'd be depressed with that in my home or in any cafe or bar I saw it, as well.

by Anonymousreply 61September 26, 2021 2:34 PM

If I bought a tree at Big Lots I could never leave my home again for the shame.

by Anonymousreply 62September 26, 2021 2:39 PM

What about a disco ball instead?

by Anonymousreply 63September 26, 2021 2:41 PM

I dunno. People on tight budgets have a right to buy and enjoy things they can afford. I could buy a tree at Big Lots, but not that gay tree because its very sad looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 26, 2021 2:58 PM

oy vey

by Anonymousreply 65September 26, 2021 6:39 PM

Happy Holidays everyone! I betcha don't have a tree like me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 27, 2021 4:43 PM

If you don't exchange gifts but really want to give something unique to a special friend, try this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 27, 2021 4:50 PM

Thanks to those who responded politely to my post.

I made a trip to Lowe's for something else today and they have started displaying their artificial trees, which have begun to be delivered. Deliveries appear to have been delayed based on the availability dates shown on their website.

I only saw a couple of lesser known brands displayed, but a lot of boxes stacked up with other trees inside.

Most likely supply chain issues. The boxes I saw all had come from China.

by Anonymousreply 68October 6, 2021 7:46 AM

Covid?

by Anonymousreply 69October 6, 2021 7:48 AM

I bought one of those twig Christmas trees about 8 years ago. It is pre-lit and there are about 20 variations of lighting you can use. My apartment is modern with not high ceilings so this is ideal, about 6ft high and very lightweight and airy, if that makes sense. It is not a traditional looking tree but looks nice when I have dressed it, they often have then in shops as part of a window display. The base screws off and once folded back into its long thin box it easily stores under the bed, which means it doesn’t take up closet space.

by Anonymousreply 70October 6, 2021 7:57 AM

If I put up a tree my cat would ride it to the floor like a demented jockey. I love her but she lives to mess with me.

by Anonymousreply 71October 6, 2021 8:17 AM

I have one of each. I buy quite a large Nordmann fir for downstairs, which comes from my local garden centre - thankfully it's not well known, so fingers crossed that they will have enough stock this year! I put up a smaller, flocked one upstairs. The latter isn't pre-lit. I prefer a colourful display on both, after experimenting with an 'icy' silver and white theme one year.

by Anonymousreply 72October 6, 2021 8:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!