Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How about this home/studio in Jersey City

At 4,000 sq ft is huge. And it's two blocks from the Hudson waterfront.

What is not clear is if it is in the semi basement or on the upper floors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 22, 2021 5:50 PM

Is it the basement unit? Why is the master bedroom so huge? It could be divided into one or two more rooms. The kitchen is huge but the living room space is not.

I like the look but not the décor. I would not like to live at street level. The views from the roof are nice.

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2021 4:57 AM

$2000+ monthly property taxes is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2021 5:38 AM

Brrr. Where do they always find this ugly 50's furniture?

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2021 10:16 AM

It does look like a former business suite.

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2021 10:50 AM

No parking, and clearly that rooftop deck is an amenity shared with other residents of the building.

by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2021 11:56 AM

With that many windows and a deck, it seems unlikely to be a basement space.

by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2021 12:00 PM

Its a semi basement and that is a flood zone. Are you people dumb?

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2021 12:02 PM

It's semi-basement... all the windows are barred and when you look at the photos of the exterior, only barred windows on that level.

So damp, barely fitted out, and as aptly observed prone to flooding. Add in sea level rise and you'll be selling at a discount, if you don't drown first.

by Anonymousreply 8September 22, 2021 12:08 PM

No, just no. It looks like a tarted up warehouse.

by Anonymousreply 9September 22, 2021 12:11 PM

Welcome to Jersey r2. The state has the highest property taxes in the country.

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2021 12:14 PM

This 1928 building was originally the Ukrainian Free Press . Zillow doesn't know that the Port Authority abandoned the name Freedom Tower. It's now One World Trade Center.

by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2021 12:19 PM

Its serviceable lodging for students or poor immigrant families. The price is a big joke.

by Anonymousreply 12September 22, 2021 12:22 PM

I know that place. It is a few blocks from me. Drab and industrial looking on the outside. Basement (or ground level) is a No. When I first moved to Paulus Hook, I lived in a older, ground floor condo. Big mistake!! Now, I live in a newer highrise on Greene. Much better quality of life.

by Anonymousreply 13September 22, 2021 12:32 PM

[quote]It looks like a tarted up warehouse.

Doesn't that pretty much describe a lot of Jersey City?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 22, 2021 1:06 PM

Than you r7, I did not realize that.

by Anonymousreply 15September 22, 2021 1:24 PM

The only thing I see that I like is that humongous refrigerator setup. Actually it looks like 2 huge refrigerators with double freezer drawers side by side. The stove, while beautiful, looks very lonely in that spot. Plus it looks like you'd be in trouble if you had a bad back trying to cook on that thing. It's so much lower than the countertops. It needs to be replaced by a huge Viking restaurant stove to fill up that entire space.

by Anonymousreply 16September 22, 2021 1:31 PM

R14: No. You posted Dixon Mills on Columbus Dr. (which is newly renovated/modern inside). Everything on Columbus Dr. from DM to Grove St to Paulus Hook is modern/upscale.

by Anonymousreply 17September 22, 2021 1:45 PM

There are very nice brownstones on the smaller streets and by the parks, but prices are insane - if they are even for sale. Better to rent an apt in one or just move to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 18September 22, 2021 1:50 PM

Nothing says class like exposed ductwork, or is that the diverted Canadian pipeline?

by Anonymousreply 19September 22, 2021 1:51 PM

Still a better deal than buying property in NY r18.

by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2021 3:16 PM

Buying anything in a flood zone seems a bad deal.

by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2021 3:21 PM

This resembles the decor that Thomas Pynchon described as "Early Homosexual".

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2021 3:26 PM

A million dollars to live in a basement. No. Just no.

by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2021 4:10 PM

That property is on the original “hook” of land for which the neighborhood (Paulus Hook) is named. It’s not a flood risk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2021 4:54 PM

thank you R24

by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2021 4:56 PM

I love the space, I like the industrial look at that it's such a huge blank slate to work with. What I do not love is what everyone else doesn't love: that it's on the ground floor or basement. There's nothing you can do that will make you forget you're living in a basement with bars on the windows.

by Anonymousreply 26September 22, 2021 5:02 PM

Not directly related but it always amuses me how some NYers are weirdly snobbish about living in Jersey even though the PATH trip into the city is often shorter and more convenient than the outer boroughs or upper Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 27September 22, 2021 5:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!