Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Carl Clemons-Hopkins Emmy Dress. YASSSS KWEEN! Rofl.

Carl Clemons-Hopkins became the first non-binary person to be nominated for best supporting actor at the 73rd Emmy Awards on Sunday.

To celebrate, the "Hacks" actor walked the red carpet in a custom Christian Siriano outfit inspired by the non-binary flag, according to the designer. The actor's white button-down shirt, black trousers, purple belt, and purple and yellow train featured the colors of the flag.

The concept behind the look was Clemons-Hopkins' idea, Siriano said in a statement sent to Insider.

"Carl and their stylist Jyotisha sent me a few inspiration ideas so I went with something that felt powerful but elegant. Carl wanted to represent the non-binary colors which is why I felt the belt was just the right amount of representation," Siriano said.

"It was an honor to create this look for Carl and it will definitely go down as one of my most memorable looks that really has a meaningful purpose behind it," he added.

The outfit was created as "an homage to the non-binary flag and celebrating our identities and beauty beyond the heteronormative standard," Clemons-Hopkins' stylist, Jyotisha Bridges, wrote in an Instagram post on Sunday.

The star reflected on how they came to identify as non-binary in an essay penned for The Hollywood Reporter in July, writing that they began to identify as queer in college before exploring gender norms during lockdown.

"In the past five or six years, I've been doing a lot of studies on the origins of masculinity, where all these rules and norms came from. At the same time, there's been so much violence and misunderstanding with trans folk and other queer people," Clemons-Hopkins wrote.

"I was figuring out where I fit in all of that. And then quarantine hit - there was so much time to explore my gender identity, or lack of gender identity," they added.

The actor went on to describe how this has altered their experience playing Marcus in "Hacks," a character they described as "a man who identifies as a man."

"I would go into work situations and think, 'You have to make sure you're being a man.' Now, I can just worry about being the character. It's incredibly freeing to focus on a character knowing that I myself am more resolved," they wrote.

Representatives for Siriano did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 22, 2021 2:51 AM

YAS KWEEN. WERK.

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2021 8:52 PM

Oh, dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2021 8:52 PM

Give it a few years and people will be falling over themselves saying their fashion statements had been misinterpreted.

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2021 8:53 PM

If he were a gay man, I love it. But he’s “non-binary”.

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2021 8:53 PM

Sorry, but he looks stupid.

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 8:54 PM

Totally, R5.

A fashion DON'T.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2021 8:55 PM

Carl needs to stay in his lane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 8:56 PM

Esmerelda wore it best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2021 8:57 PM

Friend: "What is he wearing?"

Me: "By the looks of it, something that's at least two sizes too small."

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 8:59 PM

He's a beautiful guy in an amazing body, and all that goes to waste because he wishes he was Angela Bassett.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 9:00 PM

He's too hot for this. And it's so obvious on top of it, this half dress-half pants ensemble. Seems quite binary.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 9:02 PM

The Renaissance fair called, they want their peasant woman garb back.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 9:09 PM

No. Just no.

Men are so beautiful as is. Why they wanna go messing with that natural beauty?

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 9:12 PM

He looks like a man wearing a dress.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 9:17 PM

[quote] He looks like a man wearing a dress.

They is.

Lol

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 9:18 PM

[quote]non-binary person

All I see is a man in a dress who forgot the saying, "The dress doesn't make the man."

He can wear whatever, it's just clothes. It doesn't make him any more special and unique, just like someone cosplaying the genie from Aladdin.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 9:24 PM

They is smart

They is kind

They is RIDICULOUS in that outfit

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 9:30 PM

I got the whole role play dressing up in my mother’s clothes done with as a young gayling. Do these people have arrested development?

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 9:30 PM

One CAN dress non binary, look fucking flawless and carry it off

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 9:32 PM

[quote] I got the whole role play dressing up in my mother’s clothes done with as a young gayling. Do these people have arrested development?

No. They think they're being edgy.

But the whole cross-dressing thing is SO played out.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 9:33 PM

Ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2021 9:33 PM

He's a straight man identifying his way into "queer".

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2021 9:35 PM

Groundbreaking

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2021 9:35 PM

Miranda Priestly, is that you at R23?

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2021 9:39 PM

How do these tedious gender obsessives not bore themselves to death?

Gender non conforming is only sexy in people who love themselves as they are. Lenny Kravitz can rock heels, pretty top and a feather boa like a sex god, the pronoun people can't do that because they're not hot.

by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2021 9:51 PM

R6, when will people learn that PIRATE COSTUMES and their variations never work!

by Anonymousreply 26September 22, 2021 1:24 AM

She's got quite a hairy chest.

by Anonymousreply 27September 22, 2021 1:29 AM

I really liked him a lot in Hacks and read some articles interviewing him around the time of watching it. That's when I learned he's non-binary, neutral pronoun, etc. But, he almost seems like he feels like he MUST wear something gender-bending because of it. He's not really selling it like Billy Porter; but going through the motions. By this point, at least in the context of awards shows, a dude wearing a skirt or dress isn't anything new. Well, it's still relatively new, but we've seen many, many examples in the past few years.

BTW, what happened to DL for a few hours.

by Anonymousreply 28September 22, 2021 1:34 AM

Get your life hunny

by Anonymousreply 29September 22, 2021 1:41 AM

He looks fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 30September 22, 2021 1:41 AM

I thought it was Gladys Knight.

by Anonymousreply 31September 22, 2021 1:46 AM

R25 right; it's not just wearing women's clothing (sized for a man) that makes someone a gender bender or fluid. You can't just throw on a dress and say you're nonbinary. That's stereotypical at this point.

Or if you're like Alok, you wear women's costumes but you make sure you have as much body hair showing as possible. That is also stupid.

Tossing on a feather boa over your suit, painting your nails, having a female haircut and dangly earrings - less is more!

It's like there's some "Nonbinary for Dummies" book the attention whores all read. None of them are unique and they just look silly.

by Anonymousreply 32September 22, 2021 2:09 AM

He had all those those tight shirt, colorful, well-fitted, good shoes "gay" outfits on Hacks. He should have stuck with that. He looks like he's gained some weight. During Hacks i saw an instagram post where he was really ripped and smaller than on Hacks. He must have rebound weight gained plus some extra. Not that I think he's too big.

by Anonymousreply 33September 22, 2021 2:29 AM

Was he trying to outdo Billy Porter?

by Anonymousreply 34September 22, 2021 2:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!