Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kathryn Hahn to Play Comedy Icon Joan Rivers in ‘The Comeback Girl,’ a Limited Series in the Works at Showtime....

....but a NYT columnist is saying it's anti-Semitic to keep casting non-Jewish women in Jewish roles.

More inside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 10, 2023 5:11 PM

Jason Zinoman's tweet...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2021 7:03 PM

Is it a shonda for the goyim?

Sarah Silverman has thoughts, starting around the 30 minute mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2021 7:05 PM

I love Kathryn Hahn; jewish or not, she'll be awesome

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2021 7:07 PM

Can non-Jewish women play Jewish women if their name sounds Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2021 7:11 PM

I love Kathryn Hahn. Like a lot of people, I just assumed she was Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 7:14 PM

ugh who gives a fuck

jews are so fuckin entitled

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2021 7:14 PM

That's excellent casting. Wouldn't have thought of it myself.

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 7:15 PM

She will be awesome in this.

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2021 7:18 PM

Love Hahn but how the hell is she Joan Rivers?! She's way too tall, she looks nothing like her, she definitely has that 'hard' Jewish look to her that Joan didn't have, or have as much.

I'm not seeing this at all, can't picture it.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 7:20 PM

Do they want us to get into Jews’ history of doing blackface? That was exactly the reason John Landis had Eddie Murphy play a white Jewish man.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 7:21 PM

[quote]....but a NYT columnist is saying it's anti-Semitic to keep casting non-Jewish women in Jewish roles.

Oh, please. There have been tons of times where Jews were cast in "Christian" roles. I still can't believe Alan Arkin was cast as Greg Kinnear's dad.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 7:21 PM

Okay, I'm not one of those "Jews run the world" conspiracy people but I don't really think Jewish actors are underrepresented in Hollywood. And I'm surprised to learn from this that Kathryn Hahn isn't Jewish. She definitely "passed" with her looks and the German last name.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 7:22 PM

[quote] Hard to ignore that Jewish women are not getting cast for these roles.

Yes, Jews have it so hard making it in Hollywood. lmfao.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 7:22 PM

And while we're at, blacks are underrepresented in the NBA!

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 7:23 PM

It’s like everyone now wants to have the same victimization POC have in Hollywood. Gays are doing this too - “How dare a non-gay person do a gay role!” Let’s not even get into trans.

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 7:24 PM

[quote]....but a NYT columnist is saying it's anti-Semitic to keep casting non-Jewish women in Jewish roles

Yeah, I'll think about this as I wonder if this biopic will include the vile things that old, racist bitch said about Palestinians. Ya know, because as a Jew with no real connection to Israel, she thinks beyond horseshit fairy tales, people who've lived there for generations should have fewer rights than her Ashkenazi ass.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 7:28 PM

Everybody knows Italian actors make the best Jews.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 7:28 PM

They also make the best Native Americans.

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 7:31 PM

Jews are the most under-represented minority in show business. It's time to reveal that dark secret. What ever happened to diversity?

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 7:31 PM

From Rachel Brosnahan's Wikipedia:

[quote]Brosnahan was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the daughter of Carol and Earl Brosnahan, who worked in children's publishing. Her mother is British. Her father is American and of Irish descent. From the age of four, Brosnahan was raised in Highland Park, Illinois.

[quote]Though she is well-known for playing a Jewish character on television, Brosnahan herself is not of Jewish descent. However, she says she was "happily immersed" in the Jewish culture because of Highland Park's Jewish community; she attended many Passover seders, bar and bat mitzvah ceremonies, and Hanukkah observances in Chicago's North Shore.

This happens. When I went away to college, lots of people assumed I was Jewish, because I came from a town in NJ where there were lots of Jewish people. The closest house of worship to my house was a synagogue, Temple Sholom. I would walk past a Hebrew school to get to my Catholic school. My Catholic HS was across the street from a Jewish country club. My best friend would joke that I was "to the shtetl born."

Speaking of which, I knew lots of Yiddish words without knowing all of them were Yiddish.

I knew Brosnahan was an Irish name (I'm Irish, too), but I can believe in Rachel as someone Jewish. She loses herself in the role. I had no idea Kathryn Hahn wasn't Jewish, particularly after watching her on Transparent.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 7:36 PM

If you were casting based on looks, Melissa is the obvious choice. She took after her mother and once she had a few tweaks, they had basically the same face. As far as her being able to handle the acting part, well… I assume Melissa will be attached as an executive producer.

Sarah Silverman is the next obvious choice but I don’t think she is interested in acting much and this doesn’t seem like a project she’d pick if she were.

Hahn seems to be a reasonable mixture of looks and acting ability, though I’m not familiar with her work.

I wonder how much demand there is for this. She’s been dead for quite a while and the period the film covers is almost forty years ago. This is a niche production at best and the DL will be one of the main loci of interest online for this film.

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2021 7:43 PM

I love her!

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2021 7:52 PM

Cast Joy Behar.

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2021 7:54 PM

Italian actors have been playing Jews for decades, and Jews also play Italians.

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2021 8:04 PM

I played a Jewess in BRIGHTON BEACH MEMOIRS, and that darling Judith Ivey played my sister!

But then, I married a Jew, and gave birth to Gwyneth.

by Anonymousreply 25September 28, 2021 4:42 PM

I find her annoying and unfunny

by Anonymousreply 26September 28, 2021 4:44 PM

I hated Rachel Brosnahans portrayal . She was trying so hard to be a “funny Jewish lady” and it didn’t work for me. I also found the anachronistic writing very lazy and annoying. She is so obviously a pretty shiksa therefore an easy sell to the hoi polloi who really for the most part don’t really enjoy authentic ,funny , Jewish women as evidenced by all the outright anti Semitic sentiment espoused so openly ( especially here on the DL) As for Katherine Hahn I adore her and I would watch her in anything.

by Anonymousreply 27September 28, 2021 4:55 PM

As a gay Jew, I'm fine with non Jews and straights playing Jewish or gay people. I'm also in favor of gays playing straights and Jews playing non Jewish characters.

by Anonymousreply 28September 28, 2021 4:58 PM

She played a rabbi for the entirety of Transparent (I was one of the 12 people that watched it and liked it apparently).

by Anonymousreply 29September 28, 2021 5:00 PM

[quote]Italian actors have been playing Jews for decades, and Jews also play Italians.

No shit?

by Anonymousreply 30September 28, 2021 7:35 PM

I'm shocked the hot multitalented and actual Jewish actress Beanie Feldstein wasn't cast.

Or that Melissa wasn't either, as Plan B.

by Anonymousreply 31September 28, 2021 7:44 PM

^Joan knew how to take a two-finger sandwich, R31.

by Anonymousreply 32September 28, 2021 8:54 PM

Please no more Beanie Feldman.

by Anonymousreply 33September 29, 2021 12:10 AM

Who is Kathryn Hahn related to? She’s not funny or talented so she has to be related to someone in Hollywood or in politics.

by Anonymousreply 34September 29, 2021 12:32 AM

I have nothing against Kathryn Hahn playing the role but will someone who thinks there are so many Jewish actresses around of the correct age who could realistically play Joan Rivers, please name a few? Even with the name recognition of Hahn?

I'm waiting....

by Anonymousreply 35September 29, 2021 1:37 AM

And what's WRONG with allowing Jason Gould to audition for the part, too??!?

by Anonymousreply 36September 29, 2021 2:53 AM

As I said (r35) there are no bankable Jewish actresses under 60 to play Joan. It's a myth about the preponderance Jewish actresses in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2021 3:08 AM

What's wrong with her face? She needs to get to Joan's plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 38September 30, 2021 3:22 AM

I’m not sure how this is any more “offensive” then Jewish actors playing non Jewish roles (which happens all the time). Although Felicity Jones playing uber-Jew RBG is just laughable.

by Anonymousreply 39September 30, 2021 6:36 AM

Jews complaining about diversity in Hollywood?

LOLOLOLOLOL!

by Anonymousreply 40October 3, 2021 6:55 AM

She seems to have everything necessary to recreate Joan's rise to the top. E 's True Hollywood Story should have given more attention to time s a stripper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 3, 2021 11:39 AM

So can Jewish actors only play Jewish characters then? A lot of actors will become jobless then.

It's not enough to be white anymore, we have to dig even deeper into separation?

by Anonymousreply 42October 3, 2021 11:47 AM

Will they repeat the CNN skit? “You wear leather shoes!” Or the Apprentice skit? “ None of them have last names. You're a poker player. A poker player!”

by Anonymousreply 43October 3, 2021 12:00 PM

She's gonna play Joan Rivers? With that nose?

by Anonymousreply 44October 3, 2021 12:00 PM

She's good in Mrs. Fletcher, very interested in seeing her transformation... and of course love Joan still.

by Anonymousreply 45October 3, 2021 12:02 PM

I'm confusing her and Idina Menzel.

by Anonymousreply 46October 3, 2021 12:17 PM

Was Mrs. Fletcher a one season and cancelled for her, like I Love Dick and Happyish?

by Anonymousreply 47October 3, 2021 12:25 PM

R29 you beat me to it. I was going to mention her playing a rabbi in Transparent. (I also did enjoy the show).

by Anonymousreply 48October 3, 2021 1:34 PM

I remembering seeing Hahn in Crossing Jordan, a specific episode in which there was an emergency, she had to get people quarantined in the offices, and she did this thing whereby she had to seem in control and reassuring, but she ducked out of the room full of scared people and she found a quiet doorway down the hall of the basement and she had a mini-meltdown, slumped down, and then rose up and got her shit together, waltzed back in the room and took charge again. A beautiful performance. She must have been in her 20s. I thought, Oh, she is very very fucking good! I have loved her ever since. I'll look for that clip and see if I've embellished.

by Anonymousreply 49October 3, 2021 2:09 PM

idk but the son from Mrs. Fletcher can totally fuck me tonight.

by Anonymousreply 50October 3, 2021 5:47 PM

I wonder if this got off the ground because of the recent success of Hacks?

by Anonymousreply 51October 3, 2021 5:59 PM

There don’t seem to be many well-known Jewish actresses in this age range anymore. The movie industry also doesn’t make the kind of “everyday life” movies set in New York that had more of a Jewish flavor in the 80s and 90s (Crossing Delancey, the Nora Ephron movies, older Woody Allen films). I miss movies like that, or maybe I just miss the 80s/90s, who knows.

— another Catholic who grew up in a Jewish suburb and knows some Yiddish phrases, although I look like I just got off the boat from Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 52October 3, 2021 6:04 PM

Sarah Silverman has more to say about the practice, which she calls "Jewface."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 4, 2021 2:38 PM

[quote]She then listed other examples, pointing out that Felicity Jones played Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Rachael Brosnahan plays fictional Jewish character Miriam Maisel, Margo Martindale portrayed Bella Abzug and Tracey Ullman was Betty Friedan.

I'm pretty sure that Tracey Ullman is actually a Jew. A British one.

by Anonymousreply 54October 4, 2021 3:02 PM

Tracey Ullman is NOT Jewish, r54. Get real!

While I agree with everything Sarah Silverman says, who would be the Jewish actresses of any name recognition that might have been cast in those roles played by Rachel Brosnahan, Felicity Jones, Margo Martindale and Ullman? Maybe Winona Ryder or Sarah Silverman herself, but neither really look quintessentially Jewish. Bette Midler and Barbra Streisand are too old.

Clearly, Jewish women who "look Jewish" have been discouraged in recent decades from pursuing careers in acting. I know that sounds outrageous, but here we are.

by Anonymousreply 55October 4, 2021 3:10 PM

How can there be any new stories in this? I can't believe that Joan left this earth without any stories or secrets about her life left untold

by Anonymousreply 56October 4, 2021 3:14 PM

This from the woman who nosejobbed her way out of a Jewish nose.

by Anonymousreply 57October 4, 2021 7:37 PM

She would have been great.

by Anonymousreply 58September 5, 2022 9:16 PM

I get Hahn confused with Ana Gastayer.

by Anonymousreply 59September 5, 2022 9:25 PM

She played a NY Jew in The Shrink Next Door and I didn't buy it for a minute. Paul Rudd's NY accent was also an abomination. It doesn't NEED to be a Jewish actress but NY Jews of a certain era had a specific energy (think Joan, Woody Allen, Jerry Seinfeld, Larry David). Hahn doesn't have it.

by Anonymousreply 60September 5, 2022 9:34 PM

Wake me up when Ariana DeBose opens in Funny Girl. Silverman needs to slap her trap. Joan Rivers used cosmetic surgery to remove every trace of visual Jewishness. Like all the actresses, she acted as Jewish as the rest.

by Anonymousreply 61September 5, 2022 9:35 PM

Joan would have loved to be played by a pretty shiksa.

by Anonymousreply 62September 5, 2022 9:39 PM

Get Valerie Harper. Oh wait . . . she really did end up dying.

by Anonymousreply 63September 5, 2022 9:41 PM

Jews head up the majority of the studios in Hollywood. A Jew bitching about representation in Hollywood is hilarious. This is the same woman who did black face.

by Anonymousreply 64September 5, 2022 9:48 PM

At least it's not Nicole Kidman though her face is in Joan country. .

by Anonymousreply 65September 5, 2022 9:49 PM

[quote]Tracey Ullman is NOT Jewish

Actually, there’s a chance she’s Jewish on her father’s side as she said it was rumored that her great-grandmother converted to Catholicism. Not unheard with Polish Jews.

by Anonymousreply 66September 5, 2022 9:50 PM

Joan would hate this politically correct bullshit b

by Anonymousreply 67September 5, 2022 9:50 PM

Tut, tut...and there are so many talented Jewish girls available!

(Call me!)

by Anonymousreply 68September 5, 2022 9:50 PM

Bette Midler could pass for the older Joan.

by Anonymousreply 69September 5, 2022 9:52 PM

Her husband is Jewish, and their son goes to Hebrew class. Plus, she's got the comedic chops, perfect timing, and is naturally very funny. She'll be great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 5, 2022 10:16 PM

Joan would be horrified to be played by a fat girl. She would take a Muslim of color over a fat Jewess any day.

by Anonymousreply 71September 5, 2022 10:19 PM

Does she look like Joan? Depends which of Joan's post surgery faces we are discussing.

by Anonymousreply 72September 5, 2022 10:33 PM

Mae Whitman resembles Joan

by Anonymousreply 73June 10, 2023 4:38 PM

It's been almost two years since the announcement and I'm not seeing any recent articles about it, is this project in the toilet or what?

by Anonymousreply 74June 10, 2023 4:46 PM

R74- Its not even on her IMDB- I think it was cancelled

by Anonymousreply 75June 10, 2023 4:48 PM

It was cancelled a long time ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 10, 2023 4:53 PM

I heard Sherri Shepherd has taken over, and has been cast to play Joan. Octavia Spencer is to play her daughter, Melissa.

by Anonymousreply 77June 10, 2023 4:53 PM

r76 Cancelled almost exactly a month after the announcement, that's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 78June 10, 2023 4:57 PM

^ That Melissa Rivers is a greedy SOB !

by Anonymousreply 79June 10, 2023 5:05 PM

Jews are so underrepresented in the world of entertainment!

by Anonymousreply 80June 10, 2023 5:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!