Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite Asian Cuisine

I don't even know if I am being PC (probably not), but I have witnessed that, at least among gay men, different Asian cuisines were the big thing at different times. Of course, Chinese seemed to still be the thing with the older guys I dated back in my 20's, but that was in the late 1990's. It's still the safest "go to". The younger guys were all about sushi and Japanese fare...made their own, bragged about their wares and being sushi "snobs" into the aughts. Then, Indian food had a minute along with Korean BBQ and all the queens wanted to go somewhere like that. Lately, both at home with my ex/occasional hookup and pal, it was Thai because all his colleagues were doing it. For some reason, Thai places were packed with bears waiting at the door in Amsterdam during Pride week. So what's your favorite?

by Anonymousreply 91September 30, 2021 5:12 AM

I chose Thai but I love Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese too. Japanese is the only one I'm not crazy about, but it may be because my only exposure to it is sushi, sashimi, and the guy with the flying cleavers.

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2021 6:53 PM

Vietnamese for me. I could eat Vietnamese a few times a week, particularly when it's hot outside.

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2021 7:09 PM

Thai -- combines sweetness, acidity, salt, heat, and texture very well.

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2021 7:10 PM

Singapore-Indo-Malay

Roti canai followed by mee goreng!

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2021 7:17 PM

I love them all. I'm a foodie. I haven't had Filipino food though.

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 7:37 PM

Filipino food is trash. The only one I really don't like.

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2021 8:02 PM

Theres nothin wrong with meat and potatoes. Exotic food gives you gas.

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 8:07 PM

[quote]Theres nothin wrong with meat and potatoes. Exotic food gives you gas.

R7 and Option 7 in the poll - synchronicity.

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2021 8:10 PM

Chicken Basil and Riesling😋

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 8:10 PM

Burmese cuisine is a mix of Thaim Chinese, and Indian and it's great.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 8:24 PM

Vietnamese (not on your list) followed by Thai.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 8:30 PM

Filipino food can be interesting. Sadly, the one time I patronized Jollibee, they messed up my order.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 8:35 PM

You haven't listed 'Vietnamese', OP, therefore your poll is invalid.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 8:36 PM

When I lived in Honolulu a lifetime ago, there was a little hole-in-the-wall Thai restaurant on the edge of Chinatown. It was run by a husband and wife. There was a counter at the back where you would choose your food. If an item was running out, the wife would tell you to wait a minute, run back into the kitchen and make it as quickly as possible. Once you had your food (one main and two sides for $7.99) you could either eat in the front of the restaurant or walk through the kitchen to a beautiful little tropical courtyard garden.

The food was delicious, the hosts were wonderful and the entire experience was inspirational.

Sometimes I can't remember why I ever left Honolulu.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 8:39 PM

I like Vietnamese, but Thai > Vietnamese.

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 8:40 PM

My mistake R13 and R11. I absolutely love Vietnamese food. Can't remember it being the "in cuisine" at any particular time though. However, I have sweet memories of having it with my folks. I remember after fasting and going to a colonoscopy and having polyps removed, my mom took me to a Pho place. Later, when my partner was very sick, I remember he would always be able to hold down at last the broth and noodles.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 8:40 PM

I enjoy all Asian food equally, but like any other food, I eat it when I have a craving for it. I didn't vote, since I don't really have a single favorite.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 8:43 PM

R16 - I'm sorry your partner was so sick and I'm not making light of it with this post.

That said, pho is the best hangover food ever. If it doesn't put you back on the map, just go home because you're not gonna feel any better that day.

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 8:44 PM

Vietnamese of course

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 8:49 PM

Also, I listed baby tastes to account for our bland queens and some of our more rustic Flyoverstan queens, but I forgot to take the DL elder contingency and list "mother's shrimp aspic" as an option.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 8:54 PM

I said Thai because I only cook a couple of Thai things and it's my favorite order-in food.

I make Indian dishes all the time. I love it, though it seems too "everyday" for me to choose it in the poll.

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2021 8:55 PM

Thai all the way. Easy to do at home and uses loads of veg and herbs. Larb Gai is my fav.

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2021 8:55 PM

What is Laotian food?

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2021 8:56 PM

Sichuan Hot Pot. It will give you the shits though.

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2021 8:57 PM

Agree with R3….but Chinese is a close second.

by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2021 8:58 PM

Wait, no Indian is second, then Chinese. Oh hell, give them all to me.

by Anonymousreply 26September 21, 2021 8:59 PM

Korean BBQ is good too. I love all the "banchan" side dishes.

by Anonymousreply 27September 21, 2021 8:59 PM

You forgot Vietnamese - as in Pho

Hmong - as in Green Papaya Salad

by Anonymousreply 28September 21, 2021 9:00 PM

Korean food is great. I also love watching Maangchi's youtube videos. Her Dwaejibulgogi - Spicy pork BBQ recipe is outrageously good.

by Anonymousreply 29September 21, 2021 9:02 PM

Viet > Thai. It has that al fresco feeling to it comparing to Thai. Thai just has so much oil, flavor, and processing. Viet food are typically a deconstructed thrown together mix. That is why you see them gives you a plate of different basils every time you order something. I think it is healthier.

Typical Viet family dinner is rice, a meaty or tofu entree, a stir-fried veggie side, and a bowl of bone broth soup of gourd or leafy green. Dessert is some fruits. This feels super healthy and should be the ideal standard for daily meal.

by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2021 9:04 PM

Most people who say they like thai food really only mean Pad thai. Ask about thai curries and they look at you like you're crazy. As if Pad thai is the only thai food.

by Anonymousreply 31September 21, 2021 9:13 PM

Mmm Thai red and green curries are fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 32September 21, 2021 9:15 PM

Massaman beef is probably my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 33September 21, 2021 9:27 PM

Massamam curry is my favorite. Now sure I’ve ever had pad Thai, but I probably have.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2021 9:42 PM

There appears to be a widespread misconception that Vietnamese cuisine = Pho (soup). There’s SO MUCH more to it . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2021 9:50 PM

Indian food.

Chicken/Lamb Biryani, Chicken Tandoori, Roti, Gulab Jamun, Kulfi, Dosa, Chicken Curry, Rasmalai. Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 21, 2021 10:18 PM

There is nothing better for lunch on a hot day than a vermicelli salad: cool noodles, lots of vegetables, marinated and intensively flavored Vietnamese pork or beef barbecue, and nuoc cham.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 22, 2021 1:11 AM

I've tried Cambodian food a couple of times, sadly underwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 38September 22, 2021 1:11 AM

R37 - we make this at home a lot. It's really quite simple and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 39September 22, 2021 1:13 AM

Another vote for Vietnamese!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 22, 2021 1:32 AM

OP, you forgot Vietnamese on your list. I should have married a Vietnamese woman so she could cook me Vietnamese food every day.

by Anonymousreply 41September 22, 2021 2:01 AM

Honestly, I LOVE it all. But there is nothing like authentic, home-style Korean food. I'm hooked for life.

by Anonymousreply 42September 22, 2021 3:20 AM

I would think Japanese is the hardest to cook. Spare, clean, precise, elegant flavors.

by Anonymousreply 43September 22, 2021 3:25 AM

I like good authentic Thai, but cheap Americanized Chinese

by Anonymousreply 44September 22, 2021 3:29 AM

Apart from bahn mi, I find Vietnamese too sophisticated for my palate. I like bold flavors, as in Thai food.

by Anonymousreply 45September 22, 2021 4:59 AM

Indonesian Rijsttafel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2021 5:04 AM

Vietnamese - by a mile.

Thai is good but it tends to taste the same due to the similar flavorings in each dish.

Japanese is excellent.

Chinese is ok, but if given a choice, I'll take pretty much any other Asian food over Chinese. US American restaurants need to up their game.

by Anonymousreply 47September 22, 2021 5:17 AM

Chinese/Singaporean for the variety, Japanese for the refinement, Vietnamese for the freshness.

by Anonymousreply 48September 22, 2021 6:25 AM

Isn't rijstaffel Dutch food, along the lines of General Tso's chicken as Chinese?

by Anonymousreply 49September 22, 2021 12:34 PM

R10, Burmese food has lots of good salads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 22, 2021 8:04 PM

Tonight's Korean Dinner - Top row: Rice, Spicy soft tofu stew with seafood (Haemul-sundubu-jjigae), Spicy pork BBQ (Dwaejibulgogi) Second row: Spicy cucumber side dish (Oi-muchim), Rolled omelette (Gyeran-mari ) Last: Mung bean sprout side dish (Sukjunamul-muchim)

It was kind of a slog but it was really tasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 23, 2021 1:20 AM

That's wonderful r51, but I'd have just gone with the spicy pork, rice and cucumber salad. I'm lazy.

by Anonymousreply 52September 23, 2021 1:22 AM

Tonight's dinner - Sichuan chicken & broccoli in garlic sauce and a red blend😋. Tried a suggested Chardonnay with it earlier, nope!😖

by Anonymousreply 53September 23, 2021 1:25 AM

Speaking of which, any favorite wine pairings that you like personally? Websites suck

by Anonymousreply 54September 23, 2021 1:29 AM

Personally, I like cheap Portuguese rosé with Asian food.

by Anonymousreply 55September 23, 2021 1:31 AM

Weird that you'd include Indian (really Bangladeshi) food in Asian?

I'm not sure that most of Europe includes the Sub- continent as the foods available have such a Western influence. Nepalese food is better in any case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 23, 2021 1:39 AM

Another Vietnamese lover, here.

Thai has become as westernized near me as mediocre Chinese places became in days of yore. My favorite original Thai places here either closed or changed management. I can't get those delicious seafood salads, or sauteed meat over a big bed of cabbage. It's all a bunch of lukewarm, sloppy, overly sweet, coconut pablum. Such a shame.I

The upshot is, though I am not generally a Chinese restaurant food lover, our humble little burg got a Michelin-plate-recognized Chinesebplace. Their food is delicious!

by Anonymousreply 57September 23, 2021 1:52 AM

OP, "Chinese" and "Indian" are not "cuisines," any more than there's an "American" cuisine. Do you think of Texas-style brisket, Creole gumbo, a boiled dinner and a Pennsylvania Pepper Pot as part of the same cuisine?

Try "nationality," maybe, although Tibetans, Uyghurs, the Hui, the people of Hong Kong and others may question its appropriate use in the case of "Chinese."

by Anonymousreply 58September 23, 2021 1:57 AM

Thanks R55! I will try that next time👍

by Anonymousreply 59September 23, 2021 2:19 AM

There was a donut shop in SF that made the best bahn mi I have ever had. It was sone nondescript hole in the wall but I've spent the last decade trying to find one as good in NY. There are some contenders here but nothing as inexpensive and fresh.

by Anonymousreply 60September 23, 2021 2:22 AM

I love Korean food. For those who've never tried, try bibimbap. Sounds weird, but it's a personal-sized pot of rice with a nice crust of browned rice (the part that touches the pot). Then, an assortment of vegetables and meat (beef, IME) on top. You can have it without meat. I like it when they replace the meat with something "meaty" like eggplant. Oh yeah, and an egg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 23, 2021 2:33 AM

Vietnamese food that's easy for beginners: banh mi. We just called it "Vietnamese sandwich." If you hate cilantro, leave it out. But do get the pickled carrot and radish. So good. Not sure what "Vietnamese mayonnaise" (in photo below) is. It's just regular mayo, IME. I usually get a lemon grass tofu banh mi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 23, 2021 2:37 AM

I most enjoy eating the bubble ass of a muscular Korean-American man.

by Anonymousreply 63September 23, 2021 2:43 AM

Vietnamese for sure. I can’t believe it wasn’t included in this poll?! WTF. Summer rolls, vermicelli bowl, banh mi… all better than pho, by the way (and pho’s not bad, either).

Thai comes in at a close second, but it’s very hard to find a restaurant that doesn’t overdo the sugar and salt. There’s one in Jackson Heights, Queens, that I love. That’s a schlep though. Generally I feel sluggish and bloated after eating Thai, but man is it heaven when I’m wolfing it down.

by Anonymousreply 64September 23, 2021 4:22 AM

Mongolian -- hard to beat those yak noodles

by Anonymousreply 65September 23, 2021 4:38 AM

A friend's wife is from the Laos/Thailand border. Her meals are similar to Thai food with some regional differences, including sticky rice at every meal (taken from a communal bowl by hand) and ice-cold lettuce leaves as a sort of palate cleanser when a bite is too hot.

Green papaya salad is a staple, as is a hot pot of clear soup with vegetables and sometimes seafood.

by Anonymousreply 66September 23, 2021 4:46 AM

OP is sentenced to a lifetime of Filipino food for a poll with two Japanese entries and none for the write in winner, Vietnamese (or Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore).

by Anonymousreply 67September 23, 2021 7:41 AM

I think we can all agree the OP *really* blew it.

by Anonymousreply 68September 23, 2021 3:40 PM

Indonesian/Malaysian food is garbage compared to anything else mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 69September 24, 2021 3:04 AM

R26, you're my kind of lardass. Have you ever had Indian-Chinese?

Come over this weekend, I'll order hakka noodles, Indian fried rice and chili baby corn, and, we can get high, eat, and watch criterion.

by Anonymousreply 70September 24, 2021 3:27 AM

Hakka noodles (Indian Chinese)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 24, 2021 3:32 AM

Really, R69? Oh well...

During my Trip From Hell to Chennai*, I made the faux pas of ordering a side of bread with my bisi belle bath lunch ("It's a rice dish!")

*almost everything that could go wrong, did so.

by Anonymousreply 72September 24, 2021 11:45 AM

OP, you forgot "Japanese EXCEPT sushi".

by Anonymousreply 73September 24, 2021 4:43 PM

I like sushi, but not sashimi.

by Anonymousreply 74September 24, 2021 5:12 PM

Some sushi is made with raw fish, raw shellfish, etc. Sashimi is raw stuff.

by Anonymousreply 75September 24, 2021 6:39 PM

Sushi includes rice, sashimi is just cuts of fish.

by Anonymousreply 76September 26, 2021 6:48 PM

I answered "Korean," but I don't mean barbecue.

Indian is a close second.

by Anonymousreply 77September 26, 2021 7:01 PM

I enjoy Cambodian/Khmer food. Kind of a mix between Viet/Thai. And as for Thai I prefer the Isaan region dishes. Haven’t had Laotian any clues as what to expect if I try it.

by Anonymousreply 78September 26, 2021 7:42 PM

Had a bowl of laksa at the local vegan joint today. Unfortunately, I suspect what I received was re-heated leftover inventory.

Local Korean restaurant has great staff, but the food... I don't think bulgogi is supposed to be gloppy, but dry.

by Anonymousreply 79September 26, 2021 8:30 PM

I'd like to try laksa at some point. Maybe I'll order a couple of packs (instant) from Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 80September 26, 2021 8:32 PM

[quote] Korean BBQ is good too. I love all the "banchan" side dishes.

I would actually expect a good portion of Korean food to be most palatable for American tastes -- lots of grilled and BBQed pork and beef dishes.

by Anonymousreply 81September 26, 2021 8:35 PM

Took me a long time to appreciate fiery Korean soup. My ex liked their spicy squid, which wasn't for me. Also not a fan of their "rice cake" dishes that seem more like tough ziti to me. But, yes, anyone who likes fried rice will be okay with bibimbap. Bulgogi should be fine for anyone OK with stir fry dishes in general.

by Anonymousreply 82September 26, 2021 8:42 PM

Anything from the Far East is nothing short of exquisite - light, fragrant, delicious and often, both light and healthy. It's impossible to choose: Chinese cuisine has the richest flavours, Thai cuisine is the most delicate and the lightest and Korean cuisine, the most varied; Japanese cuisine is the most refined and subtle, Vietnamese is a delicious blend of Chinese and Thai and Filipino, very unique and elaborate.

All I can say is that most countries have very impressive culinary traditions, but the Far East is the very pinnacle of human development in terms of cooking techniques and flavour combinations.

by Anonymousreply 83September 26, 2021 8:43 PM

[quote] I would actually expect a good portion of Korean food to be most palatable for American tastes -- lots of grilled and BBQed pork and beef dishes.

Agree, if you're a meat-eater, Korean BBQ should not be challenging at all.

by Anonymousreply 84September 26, 2021 8:44 PM

I like them all and cannot choose. Each one has something to offer!

by Anonymousreply 85September 26, 2021 8:52 PM

If I can fake my way through chopsticks, so can you!

My first exposure to Japanese food was beef negimaki... which is a western invention it seems!

by Anonymousreply 86September 26, 2021 9:14 PM

[quote]Agree, if you're a meat-eater, Korean BBQ should not be challenging at all.

"You say puppies, I say Korean BBQ!"

by Anonymousreply 87September 26, 2021 9:19 PM

I was underwhelmed with Laotian and Cambodian food. Love most other Asian cuisines. I have to be in a mood for sushi and usually can only do about half of what is served/packaged.

by Anonymousreply 88September 26, 2021 9:20 PM

R87 is that you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 26, 2021 9:24 PM

Thanks, R70. I’m comin! Can you make me vegan ramen? That’s my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 90September 29, 2021 12:52 AM

Another vote for Vietnamese food, the best Asian food imho.

by Anonymousreply 91September 30, 2021 5:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!