Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How difficult is it to become a Canadian?

Don't they need people to fill those vast, empty territories?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 5:56 PM

Don’t move to Alberta. Basically the Mississippi of Canada. Edmontonians are pricks.

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2021 4:24 PM

It's very difficult.

If you are under 40, bilingual (with French and English as your languages), hold a degree or two, and work in a field where Canadians need help, you may have a chance.

Or if you're rich as sin and can take a few mil up there, you can stay for a while.

But otherwise, nope.

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2021 4:28 PM

To be honest, having hung around on DL now for more years than I care to admit, I'm not sure even the most liberal American would be happy in Canada. Or at least you wouldn't be happy politically with the kind of temperaments you might feel happy with socially. I am not sure any American would actually fit in. Most of you actually have contempt for us, so I don't see why that would change. All you complain about is how boring it is (which is probably true) and how awful Toronto is (which is largely true) and what wimps we are. We are quietly as arrogant as you because we have a lot of pride in the country and how we exist as a society. We are collective in the majority. That's the antithesis of the by your own bootstraps, Friday night lights, compete compete compete America. How could you really feel you would fit in?

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2021 4:30 PM

checked it out after the catastrophe of 2016,

like the poster above said, if you're young, highly educated with great earnings (and tax paying) potential, you can get in.

If you're older, retired and likely to drain health services, they don't want you, regardless of whether you're rich or not.

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2021 5:12 PM

I might have made it in 2000, when I really wanted to go. I was in love with a Canadian doctor, and wanted to spend the rest of my life there. And of course Bush cheating his way into the WH didn't help.

But at the time I didn't have the points.

The points I gained in the years since from earning a degree, I lost due to age. So, no luck for me.

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 5:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!