Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joel Coen’s Macbeth

Meh. Shooting in the 4:3 ratio so Zack Snyder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 10, 2022 10:29 PM

I barely recognized Denzel.

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2021 2:12 PM

I just really hope anyone but Frances McDormand wins the Academy Award this year. Enough!

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2021 2:22 PM

R2 If Lady Macbeth shits in a bucket in this movie, Frances will win again.

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2021 2:27 PM

Looks like Mr. Corn owes quite a bit to Mr. Welles…

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2021 3:29 PM

Typed “Corn” by mistake, but it sorta fits…

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 3:30 PM

Denzel looks very vacant.

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2021 3:31 PM

The Coen Brothers are probably my favorite modern (post 1970s) directors, but their stuff has obviously gotten worse in recent years. Their last great movie was "Inside Llewyn Davis." Ethan - who's said to want to retire - knows it's time to probably throw in the towel.

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 3:32 PM

The film industry is fucking doing Macbeth every other year. What is going on here?

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2021 3:34 PM

Timeless story in public domain.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 3:48 PM

Not "written for the screen" by the guy who wrote it for the stage.

DW is not Black Irish, but Black Scottish.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 4:20 PM

Polanski did the best Macbeth. Now people should just move on.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 4:24 PM

Brendan Gleeson is always marvelous in whatever he does and so is Frances McDormand. Denzel is often very good but seems a bit old for the lead in the Scottish play.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 6:43 PM

Sottish play.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 6:52 PM

[quote]Polanski did the best Macbeth. Now people should just move on.

I liked the MacBeth with Fassbender; yeah, the movie made unnecessary embellishments to the story, but Fassy was a good choice for MacBeth as well Marion Cotillard as LM.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 7:12 PM

Frances has that same dour expression she's had in every performance of the last decade!

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 7:27 PM

R15 Well, if ever there was a character with resting bitchface it would be Lady McBeth, so I guess it was typecasting.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 7:48 PM

Getting tired of A24. Theior films get so much hype purely for the reason that they're not super hero flicks.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 7:50 PM

R15 I miss Frances' comedy days. She was hysterical in Raising Arizona.

"Ya just gotta get him his diptet!"

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 7:50 PM

Like the film with Fassbender (which was just OK), this will be a heavily cut Macbeth. And I agree with the above poster that Cohen has clearly seen Welles' Chimes At Midnight.

But honestly, these characters should be played by younger actors not two people over 60. When Lady Macbeth says "Come you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here" I want to say "didn't menopause do that already?"

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 7:53 PM

She has a deft hand with comedy. She was brilliant in Fargo too. Raising Arizona doesn't get enough love. Even Nic Cage and Holly Hunter, usually awful, were good in that. John Goodman, always good, was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 7:54 PM

[quote]so Zack Snyder

Is this a batarang I see before me?

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2021 7:57 PM

[quote]But honestly, these characters should be played by younger actors not two people over 60. When Lady Macbeth says "Come you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here" I want to say "didn't menopause do that already?"

Maybe it's intend to be MacBeth for Seniors; "something wicked this way comes...on his mobility scooter!"

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2021 8:00 PM

R20 Raising Arizona is on my Top 10 list of favorite movies.

"Turn to the right."

"Get back in there and get me a toddler!"

"I looove hiim sooo much!"

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2021 8:01 PM

Kurosawa did the best film Macbeth: THRONE OF BLOOD (58).

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2021 8:05 PM

[quote] unsex me here

I bet that line will be cut.

by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2021 1:03 PM

I expect my parents on any given night were more convincing as the loving, murderous duo than those two.

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2021 1:08 PM

Saw it yesterday at a theater. It's certainly a striking film to look at - I know that many refer to Welles' Shakespeare films as an inspiration (OTHELLO more than MACBETH or CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT IMO), but it also reminded me of something by Robert Eggers (THE WITCH, THE LIGHTHOUSE).

It's hardly a definitive MACBETH but most of the actors are at least good, though too understated at times. I can't figure out if the amazing woman who played the witches is something of a contortionist or does a whole lot of yoga. I liked McDormand but don't get the praise for Washington. He's better in the latter half of the film but in the first half he's very underwhelming, there's a sameness to his acting that doesn't communicate much of Macbeth's ambition.

The oddest part was the character of Ross (the hooded guy who is playing both sides), played by Alex Hassell from THE BOYS. This version of the character is an invention by Cohen as in the original play Ross is a relatively minor character who is there to move parts of the plot along.

by Anonymousreply 27January 10, 2022 10:24 PM

The actress who plays the witches is Kathryn Hunter. She was just interviewed by the New Yorker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 10, 2022 10:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!