Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Demise of Palm Springs

Once the Salton Sea dries up, Palm Springs will be over. The state is barely doing anything to help solve this disaster. Where will you retire?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 9:09 PM

(a) The state is spending billions to fix the Salton Sea

(b) How on earth do you figure what's happening at Salton has any impact on Palm Springs?

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2021 1:37 PM

I thought Palm Springs was dependent on the Aquifer below it

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2021 1:41 PM

I retire in the wide sargasso sea

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2021 1:41 PM

When the Salton Sea dries up, and it will, the toxic dust and sand will blow all over the area. The same thing, on a smaller scale, happened when Owens Lake dried up, and people in the area ended up with severe asthma and cancer.

Palm Springs uses water from the Colorado River, mostly, and claims to replenish the aquifer below when it can. The aquifer is much, much lower than it was though. In some areas nearby, trees and plants with long roots are dying because they can’t reach the water anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2021 1:51 PM

Oh, also, I don’t think the state is spending “billions” on solving the problem.

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 1:52 PM

Actually that’s not true OP — I read last week that the State has allocated 1.3 kerjillion dollars to the sea project.

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2021 1:55 PM

I don’t really enjoy Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 1:58 PM

[quote]When the Salton Sea dries up, and it will, the toxic dust and sand will blow all over the area.

That won't happen for years. Palm Springs is more likely to be affected by toxic dust from the cremation of thousands of eldergays.

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2021 1:58 PM

^It will be sooner than you think, the state has already said it’s drying up faster than anticipated.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 2:02 PM

Palm Springs is too "Gay Truman Show" for me. It's just a bit too much. Some great architecture and whatnot, but not a place I'd want to spend too much time. It's too polished. It's the perfect little fake LA weekend getaway. Fake grass. All that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 2:40 PM

OP - here's some content that may help you learn more about what's happening to mitigate Salton Sea issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 3:33 PM

Thanks, but that production does NOT look very professional.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 4:11 PM

That's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 4:26 PM

It may be ridiculous, but it’s real. Pool parties won’t be nearly as fun.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 5:06 PM

I doubt too many people would miss Palm Springs if it disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 5:14 PM

So Global Warming isn't ALL bad.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 5:16 PM

Palm Springs? Who are you, the ghost of Frank Sinatra?

Palm Springs is too hot, too dry and too plasticized. I'm retired on the Central Coast, it's perfect here.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 7:00 PM

More encouraging news about the survival of the planet! 🤡⚰️☠️

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 7:10 PM

Whatever will become of DL Icon Suzy Somers when PS goes kaput? Will she and Alan continue having sex 5 times a day and finding cancer cures?

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 7:12 PM

The Central Coast is kind of rough around the edges, too many trailer parks and rednecks. Pismo Beach, awful, SLO, worse, unless you’re living in Hearst Castle it’s horrible. If you’re a traveler, it’s even worse because you’re far from airports. Like Palm Springs, it’s hot and dry, running out of water and there are constant fires nearby.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 9:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!