Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is North Hollywood a decent place to live?

Also, is it more affordable than West Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 75September 22, 2021 3:04 AM

It's decent. The NoHo Arts community is there. Rent is less expensive than WeHo...but it's the Valley!

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2021 4:13 AM

It is cheaper than WeHo but there are some sketchy areas.

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2021 4:15 AM

10 degrees hotter in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2021 4:16 AM

It's the Valley. Hot and meh.

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2021 4:16 AM

She ain't no Little Armenia.

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 4:17 AM

Everywhere is more affordable than West Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2021 4:17 AM

It used to be bigger, but the best part of North Hollywood decided it could do better on its own and broke away and formed Valley Village in the 1990s, leaving North Hollywood on its own with the shittier parts of town.

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 4:20 AM

Lots of nice areas in NoHo. But hot AF.

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2021 4:23 AM

What's the gay situation like in NoHo?

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 4:26 AM

[quote]What's the gay situation like in NoHo?

Dude it's still LA. Homos everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 4:29 AM

No one goes to a Valley gay party unless you’re desperate.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 4:30 AM

Great place to live. Sherman oaks even better. Encino, even nicer. Woodland Hills, holy shit, gurl, you won the lottery? Tarzana--A-list, baby!!!!

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 4:31 AM

It's all about Reseda, baby.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 4:32 AM

R12 Calabasas? You must be a Kardashian, child!

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 4:33 AM

It's a long day/living in Reseda/There's a freeway/running through the yard

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 4:35 AM

[quote] ... but it's the Valley!

The Valley where that slut Brooke Logan is from.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 4:38 AM

I never got that song r15. No freeways run through Reseda. I guess Tarzana didn't scan and it is kind of nice so defeats the purpose of the song.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 4:38 AM

NoHo is good in some areas, especially cute area on Magnolia with restaurants like Pitfire (favorite pizza place in LA) and the Haha Comedy Club nearby. That neighborhood is nice.

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 4:39 AM

R19 : Good Migrations lists it as being a good area for Creatives, LGBTQ, Professionals, Singles

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 4:50 AM

Last (or first) stop on the metro red line.

Gets you over the hill and downtown for $1.75.

Skip parking and traffic.

I used to live in Burbank and drive the short distance, park in the metro lot, and head towards union station.

Not a far walk to the music center.

If you’re in NoHo, the metro’s right there.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 5:01 AM

What am I, chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2021 5:04 AM

R7 Yeah, and besides "Valley Village," there's another desiginated neighborhood called "Valley Glen" that was formed in the late 90s from two areas that had formerly been in Van Nuys and North Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2021 5:15 AM

After 52 years, COVID finally killed Oil Can Harry's in Studio City.

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2021 5:17 AM

South of the metro station, yes. North of it, starts to get sketchy.

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2021 5:19 AM

I'd go a little farther west to Studio City or Sherman Oaks if I were you op.

NoHo does have the art district but there are also some pretty grim parts of it.

by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2021 5:20 AM

I'm fixing up the family home that my parents bought back in the '70s. Back then it was at the northern end of North Hollywood. Today, google maps and every single real estate map puts it in squarely in the confines of the less glamorous Sun Valley. The Neighborhood Council, however, calls itself North Hollywood West (NoHo West) NC. I guess it's only a matter of time before you'll start seeing signage delimiting the boundaries of NoHo West (not to be confused with the new NoHo West mixed-use "lifestyle center" in North Hollywood proper).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 21, 2021 5:49 AM

R23 nooooo! Oil Can Harry’s was such a blast!

by Anonymousreply 27September 21, 2021 5:54 AM

The Bradys couldn't hack it there.

by Anonymousreply 28September 21, 2021 6:03 AM

Lot of sluts in North.

by Anonymousreply 29September 21, 2021 6:09 AM

The new Noho West complex is nice. Saw a movie there last week. Big comfy seats.

by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2021 6:19 AM

I really liked living in O-Ho north of Hollywood Bl on Cherokee.

by Anonymousreply 31September 21, 2021 6:21 AM

Woodland Hills here. North Hollywood is a dump.

I always feel like I need a carwash and a shower after visiting there.

by Anonymousreply 32September 21, 2021 6:27 AM

Wow r32. I always feel like the only gay person in Woodland HIlls!

glad to know there are more

by Anonymousreply 33September 21, 2021 6:33 AM

Lived on Moorpark @Vineland a million years ago. Fun, fun, fun. There will always be cunts who look down their noses at the Valley, but that attitude just saved me time by weeding out prisspots. I worked at Sunset and Vine, and my gym was in Silver Lake. I think there are far fewer sketchy areas in NoHo now. Lots of gay bars nearby.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2021 6:38 AM

Actually we prefer the name "Toluca Lake" now...

So if you stop using that other name, that'd be great

by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2021 8:19 AM

R27 The sad news came at the end of last year. Coincidentally, WEHOville just update the story a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps Oil Can Harry's could rise again at a different location? But it might be wishful thinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 21, 2021 8:35 AM

Better than North Korea!

by Anonymousreply 37September 21, 2021 8:52 AM

Woodland Hills is the hottest part of the Valley- and not in a good way. Check out past temps- next step, Hell!

by Anonymousreply 38September 21, 2021 9:00 AM

R37, Western and 4th St. is the North Korea of LA.

by Anonymousreply 39September 21, 2021 9:04 AM

You mean people actually live on the other side of those hills

by Anonymousreply 40September 21, 2021 9:22 AM

It’s fine. It fees more suburban and it’s kind of dumpy. It’s also hot AF. There are way worse places in LA and the valley, but I still wouldn’t want to live there. If I move to the valley and don’t mind the 10 degree heat difference in the summer, I’d move to Burbank or a Glendale probably.

by Anonymousreply 41September 21, 2021 10:12 AM

Literally everywhere in the SF Valley is hot as fuck. It's not as if North Hollywood holds exclusive rights on that claim. It's the fucking VALLEY. It was always hot, but now it's just ridiculous, thank you global warming.

by Anonymousreply 42September 21, 2021 3:50 PM

[quote]I’d move to Burbank or a Glendale probably.

Of all the towns in the valley, Burbank has the absolute least amount of personality. It wouldn't exist if it weren't for the studios. Nothing but chain restaurants as far as the eye can see. The single reason there is a Whole Foods market is due to the studio business; otherwise Burbank locals wouldn't know what to do with it. I can't fucking stand Burbank.

Glendale is nicer. Very heavy Armenian population. Closer to some of the nicer or cooler parts of LA like Atwater Village, Glassell Park or even Pasadena.

by Anonymousreply 43September 21, 2021 3:54 PM

Fun fact: growing up, I had no idea that all those Valley communities WEREN'T separate cities - and were technically part of L.A. Encino, Tarzana, Northridge, Sherman Oaks, for example. I didn't have this issue with NYC, even though intra-city neighborhoods, boroughs, and communities were often talked about without reference to broader NYC.

by Anonymousreply 44September 21, 2021 3:55 PM

NoHo is still kind of a dump. And the homeless issue (affecting EVERY neighborhood) is compounding it once again.

They're doing their damnedest to reinvigorate it, but it's still a 4 dressed up like a 7. There ARE pockets within it with nice homes/condos, but North Hollywood itself is gross. The Federal Bar? Hard pass. I'd spring for Studio City (south of Riverside), Sherman Oaks or if you can afford it, Toluca Lake. (For those outside LA, Toluca Lake is the little charming knoll between Studio City and Burbank on the south side. Lots of celebrities live there (Steve Carell, Melissa McCarthy, Bieber, Sia, Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, along with just about every major TV actor of the last 25 years) Plus it's got a cute main stretch. North Hollywood is still too industrial/commercial...I'd sooner live in Burbank than NoHo proper (and yes it's bland but a far nicer place to lay your head)

As someone who used to live on the 'right' side of the hill (doing stints in Mid City, Koreatown, Silver Lake and Los Feliz), I used to shit on the valley. Some of it remains accurate, but Studio City remains the BEST place I've ever lived in my 20 years in LA. You have the 101/134 next to you (ie. 8 minutes from Hollywood proper, 10-12 to Los Feliz/SL/Echo Park) and 2 canyon cut thrus. The bars/nightlife along Ventura Blvd have vastly improved too. It's sleepier but I wouldn't move back to East LA anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 45September 21, 2021 4:16 PM

North Hollywood is trashy, literally. Filled with trash from the 170 and the 405. Hot, flat, full of strip malls, homeless and desperation.

NO. It's not a decent place to live.

Our accountant is there and that's the only reason we go out there.

by Anonymousreply 46September 21, 2021 4:20 PM

Rarely venture there from WeHo, other than infrequent visit to Halal butcher shop off Vineland, which has good NZ goat & lamb

by Anonymousreply 47September 21, 2021 5:15 PM

No it is not, r39.

by Anonymousreply 48September 21, 2021 5:19 PM

Stay south of Magnolia.

by Anonymousreply 49September 21, 2021 5:22 PM

Lived in Studio City for 25 years. Cozy if you are in the industry. Last few summers were unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 50September 21, 2021 5:25 PM

Many celebs live in the Valley. Perfectly acceptable. You may even run into Lainie Kazan, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 21, 2021 5:30 PM

R43, you mean Kabobdale?

by Anonymousreply 52September 21, 2021 5:30 PM

R47 are their prices reasonable? I’m tired of paying $7 or more for one lamb rib chop!

by Anonymousreply 53September 21, 2021 5:31 PM

[quote] Burbank has the absolute least amount of personality. It wouldn't exist if it weren't for the studios. Nothing but chain restaurants as far as the eye can see.

This sort of gives you a sense of both the accuracy and recency of this thread OP

Remember these are gay men 65 and older who are basing their comments on the vibe of the place in 1994.

The Television Academy is based in North Hollywood and the areas around it are fine. Not fancy, but walkable by LA standards and near the Metro.

As for Burbank--it has a cute downtown stretch that is very walkable and does not feature chain stores. It feels more like a suburban downtown than an urban area, but it's not a mass of strip malls and chain stores.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 21, 2021 5:31 PM

For those of you saying the Valley is so hot, what are you talking about? Like during the three warmest months (June, July, Aug or maybe mid June to mid Sept), what is the average high and how many days 90 or higher? Also, how is the humidity compared to the LA basin?

by Anonymousreply 55September 21, 2021 5:31 PM

Burbank and Glendale have one big advantage--they're NOT part of Los Angeles, so public services are generally better. You can tell when you cross the border from NoHo to Burbank, for example -- the streets are in better shape, there's less graffiti, etc.

by Anonymousreply 56September 21, 2021 5:35 PM

NoHo has an Amazon Fresh store now! It's on the ground floor of an apartment building. It was originally supposed to be a Whole Foods 365, but when they ditched that concept, they made it an Amazon Fresh.

by Anonymousreply 57September 21, 2021 5:36 PM

R55 here you go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 21, 2021 5:39 PM

Anybody receive surprise anal in the new Amazon Fresh?

by Anonymousreply 59September 21, 2021 5:40 PM

R55, regular highs of 90s and 100s in the summer. But as they say, it's a dry heat.

by Anonymousreply 60September 21, 2021 5:40 PM

Like the rest of LA, real estate is out of control.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 21, 2021 5:43 PM

R52, FurryassDale.

by Anonymousreply 62September 21, 2021 5:49 PM

As long as you have central air, NoHo and Burbank are fine. If you don't, don't sign the lease.

by Anonymousreply 63September 21, 2021 6:10 PM

Why do so many old gay men have the sense of humor of an 8th grader?

"I may not look 10 years younger but my sense of humor is positively juvenile!"

Looking at you R52 and R62

by Anonymousreply 64September 21, 2021 6:28 PM

R54 it's impossible to tell what stores are in that photo, although I do see a Macy's straight ahead (part of the chain store-infested Media Center Mall) and a Kabuki restaurant on the left (Japanese restaurant chain).

by Anonymousreply 65September 21, 2021 6:53 PM

How far north, OP?

If by "North Hollywood" you mean "San Francisco," yes.

by Anonymousreply 66September 21, 2021 6:54 PM

Speaking of Macy's the one at Ye Olde "Laurel Plaza" along CA-170 closed about five years ago, and the big parking lot that surrounded, it is supposed to be turned into the "NoHo West" development. I guess they think if they attach the name "NoHo" to something it makes it hip .. lol. .. I haven't traveled through the area recently. .. Is this thing in the process of going up? Those little fake people are funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 21, 2021 7:19 PM

R67 it's open. Saw a movie there last week. Nice theater.

by Anonymousreply 68September 21, 2021 7:23 PM

Isn’t that close to the site of the infamous B of A shootout circa 1997?

by Anonymousreply 69September 21, 2021 7:37 PM

R67, see R26.

R69, Yes, the B&A shootout happened several blocks north on Laurel Canyon Blvd.

by Anonymousreply 70September 21, 2021 8:16 PM

R69, yes. I was in middle school a few blocks away when that happened. Fun times!

by Anonymousreply 71September 21, 2021 8:41 PM

Includes the mall and the stores there, so definitely some chain stores (hard to avoid) but certainly a mix of options

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 21, 2021 9:04 PM

Know your gangs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 21, 2021 9:46 PM

^Streetgangs are, like, so 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 74September 22, 2021 1:08 AM

[quote]Woodland Hills is the hottest part of the Valley- and not in a good way. Check out past temps- next step, Hell!

Bitch, please. We've got central A/C, a sparkling pool and misters around the backyard patio.

What's the problem?

by Anonymousreply 75September 22, 2021 3:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!