Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Texas wants to overturn same sex marriage.

Now who didn’t see this coming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 5, 2021 4:54 AM

Why would you link to a reddit page and not the actual fucking link for the article?

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2021 1:50 AM

100% it'll happen, too. Rethugs are trash.

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2021 1:59 AM

Here’s original article source.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2021 2:00 AM

Somebody is showboating. This fight has been over since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down all state bans on same-sex marriage, legalized it in all fifty states, and required states to honor out-of-state same-sex marriage licenses in the case Obergefell v. Hodges.

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2021 2:05 AM

I think this is awful, but part of me wonders with the abortion law and now threatening marriage equality if more fair-minded people will show up and vote for Dems, or will they just go along with it? It's not as if a huge majority of women have ever supported Roe v. Wade at the ballot box. I wonder if left up to the states if the abortion question would end up being no big deal to women, 40-45% of whom vote GOP no matter what.

With the issue of marriage equality gay men and lesbians will burn the motherfucking place down. Men ain't gonna put up for this shit at all!

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 2:14 AM

[quote]Somebody is showboating. This fight has been over since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down all state bans on same-sex marriage, legalized it in all fifty states, and required states to honor out-of-state same-sex marriage licenses in the case Obergefell v. Hodges.

I used to think that Roe would never be overturned because it's such a good fundraiser and GOTV issue for Republicans that it was more useful to have it around.

I don't believe that any more, and I do think it's possible that Obergefell could be chipped away.

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2021 3:16 AM

Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 4:46 AM

Never take anything for granted when it comes to these rights...

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2021 5:59 AM

And yet some dumb gays want to try to convince us that Texas is a liberal oasis these days.🙄

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 8:13 AM

Is it possible to have a referendum in Texas? Because the decisions they make are not necessarily those of the majority of the citizens. Anyway, here is a new fight for the Gays.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 8:25 AM

R10 but the citizens of Texas vote in that trash.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 8:28 AM

It's time to nuke Texas.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 8:29 AM

R10

Some state will pass a carefully designed law that partially infringes on one aspect of marriage equality. It will have been carefully designed to focus on some 'arguable', legal gray area--probably related to 'religious freedom' in some way.

When it's challenged in court, as planned, they'll appeal it up to the supreme court. Then, as planned, the conservative, religious supreme court will get to overturn marriage equality. I would expect that they'll leave previous same-sex marriages intact and prohibit future ones.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 8:44 AM

What are they trying to rewrite history? This is f…cking preposterous!!!!

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 8:57 AM

Marriage is between a man and a woman.

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 9:14 AM

You push. They push back. They don't dictate to you. You don't dictate to them. And so it goes. And on and one.

R8 is the only poster on this thread with a functioning brain cell.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 9:29 AM

R13 I see... So this is a dead end of the judiciary being politicized. The gays of the neighboring regions have go to protest there to give strength to the gays of Texas, so that they do not feel isolated and that it causes a the Dems reactions there;

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 9:35 AM

Governors can do some grand standing and sign some anti gay marriag bill into law, but that can easily be struck down by SCOTUS when someone sues the State for breaking federal law. Even the Christian fanatics at SCOTUS would not dare to side with a State in such a matter, since it's a clear-cut case where state laws cannot override federal law.

But, of course, the "fiscal responsible" Republicans sure love to waste money on such fruitless endeavors. Just like they did in California with the Newsom recall stunt.

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 9:37 AM

again ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 10:21 AM

I'm certainly no lawyer, but that would create one hell of a mess, r13. From everything I've heard, the Supremes in general and Roberts in particular would be loathe to do that.

I don't give a fuck about abortion, but the main reason I seriously don't think they will overturn Roe is that the Supremes know it would almost certainly juice Democratic turnout and depress GOP turnout to some extent (because the hard-core anti-abortion crowd will be satisfied), and it might very lead to the court being packed.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 10:46 AM

R19 Separate but relevant issue. This shit is getting out of hand and if it’s not addressed early on we’re back to square one.

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2021 11:01 AM

These GOP loons who are running for office are running commercials calling Democrats "the enemy" and worse. It's really scary to see what the GOP is doing. Our country is going to be ripped to shreds in November 2024. January 6th was just their warm up. And we Democrats are just sitting around waiting. The GOP has rigged the voting laws and Dems do nothing---just like the Supreme Court. Banning Gay Marriage is going to be the least of what they are going to do to us. The rich people will escape (like they did during the Pandemic lockdowns). The rest of us stuck here will suffer under GOP Martial Law.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2021 11:25 AM

I agree with Ooze at R13, but the SC won't ban same-sex marriage throughout the country; they'll just permit states to abolish it.

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2021 11:27 AM

Those lovely repugs that Boris is always praising.

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2021 11:45 AM

[quote] The Supremacy Clause of the Constitution of the United States (Article VI, Clause 2), establishes that the Constitution, federal laws made pursuant to it, and treaties made under its authority, constitute the "supreme Law of the Land", and thus take priority over any conflicting state laws.[1] It provides that state courts are bound by, and state constitutions subordinate to, the supreme law.[2] However, federal statutes and treaties are supreme only if they do not contravene the Constitution.[3]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2021 1:32 PM

Whores don't get cars or abortions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 21, 2021 1:40 PM

Well, there goes my plan to pay for my dream theme wedding at the Alamo with the proceeds of snagging whores trying to sneak over the border for abortions at $10,000 a head!

by Anonymousreply 27September 21, 2021 2:18 PM

I support this. I feel gay marriage should have been left up to the states. Gays were making good headway changing hearts and minds one voter at a time, one state at a time. The supreme court ruling open the floodgates for “LGBTQ” and transgender garbage. Had this ruling not happened, gays would have nothing to do with that crazy shit and we’d be minding our business continuing to work hard, controlling our own destinies.

by Anonymousreply 28September 21, 2021 2:47 PM

Greg Abbott should be arrested on a charge of high treason

by Anonymousreply 29September 21, 2021 2:49 PM

This gives me sickening chills... knew it was coming

by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2021 2:51 PM

Radical trans activists prompted this.

by Anonymousreply 31September 21, 2021 3:09 PM

Yet another thread ruined by the anti-trans jihadis.

by Anonymousreply 32September 21, 2021 3:20 PM

No one cares about abortion until they find out how it will affect them. If the SC sides with this idea that embryos are people, that will stunt medical research (stem cells) and might make IVF a thing of the past. IVF was one of the only blockages from states going all the way to banning abortion. There's a reason they haven't (yet) gone lower than 6 wks.

It will make any pregnancy a living hell. Have a life threatening problem with pregnancy? Better be prepared to die. Ingest anything they consider a danger to pregnancy? They'll be suspicious women are attempting murder. Birth control will be next too. They never stop once they get going.

And no doubt they'll be coming for other rights that aren't aligned with their religious views. They want to rule over us all with the Bible. They are sick fucks and I'm never going to forgive the people that put in Trump. They were warned that courts would look like.

by Anonymousreply 33September 21, 2021 3:21 PM

Welcome to Gilead.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2021 3:22 PM

"Birth control will be next too. They never stop once they get going."

The jeus freaks actually started with the birth control pill in the 60s. They wanted it outlawed. Then moved to abortion...so yeah, they'll definitely be circling back on this once abortion is made illegal.

by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2021 3:26 PM

[quote] Radical trans activists prompted this.

Sure Jan. They are the ones in the government pushing for such bullshit. Oh wait, it's the Republicans. Gosh, does that mean that you call the Republican Party the Radical Trans Party?

by Anonymousreply 36September 21, 2021 3:29 PM

Still glad you didn't vote for me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 21, 2021 3:53 PM

YES^!

by Anonymousreply 38September 21, 2021 3:57 PM

Hillary is too intelligent for the rubes. They need stupidity to validate their vile values.

by Anonymousreply 39September 21, 2021 3:59 PM

Radical is not a word that leaps to mind when considering Caitlyn Jenner, but OK.

by Anonymousreply 40September 21, 2021 4:00 PM

Because they want to deny everyone from having happiness or joy in their lives. Want to have sex without the worry of having a baby? No (if you’re a woman). Want to marry the person you love and want to spend your life with? (No, can’t do that. God disapproves). What a miserable bunch of shits they are.

by Anonymousreply 41September 21, 2021 4:14 PM

Then move out of Texas.

by Anonymousreply 42September 21, 2021 4:16 PM

It's about holding up the outdated status quo of the straight white men ruling class. The Republicans hate nothing more than equality (marriage EQUALITY? Dear God, NO!) where minorities have equal rights and choose their own fate (women should not be able to decide for themselves whether they can have an abortion or not! Us, straight white men should be able to do that!).

by Anonymousreply 43September 21, 2021 4:24 PM

The percentage of Texans voting Repub vs Dem is very close. 52% vs 46%. Texas is going to turn blue like Colorado, New Mexico, etc. Just a matter of time. And the crazy ass Texans know it so they're trying to stack the deck now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 21, 2021 4:49 PM

Texas is already “majority minority” (i.e. white people are no longer the majority there). That’s why the fascists are pulling all these blatantly unconstitutional stunts to try and retain power permanently.

by Anonymousreply 45September 21, 2021 5:19 PM

The decision that made birth control legal in the 60s, Griswold vs. Connecticut, was the SC decision that established the right to privacy (later picked up in Roe vs. Wade). Conservatives are against the whole premise of a right to privacy, so expect them to try to reverse Griswold. I'm actually not sure how far that will go; even their hardest core base wants to have sex without pregnancy. Maybe the redder states will relegate condoms to behind the counter and make the pill hard to get?

by Anonymousreply 46September 21, 2021 5:36 PM

R44 Nobody cares what your little stats say. Doesn’t change the fact that Texas is still a backwards state trying to pass backwards laws.

by Anonymousreply 47September 21, 2021 6:25 PM

I agree, r12.

And as my favorite heroine opines: "I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

by Anonymousreply 48September 21, 2021 6:37 PM

R47. Little statistics? You are mildly amusing, dear.

by Anonymousreply 49September 21, 2021 6:39 PM

NEXT: Texas hopes to overturn 13th amendment...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 21, 2021 7:09 PM

I wish the Deplorables would all move to Russia. They would be happier there.

by Anonymousreply 51September 23, 2021 12:27 AM

Probably not, r51. Too many Asians (6.5% of the population).

by Anonymousreply 52September 26, 2021 5:31 PM

I do think the media gives more support to the GOP than the electorate does. It wouldn’t surprise me if the GOP got wiped out in the midterms next year. They’re really beyond the pale now - running a fraudit in Texas, a state that Trump won? Trying to force Pennsylvanians to submit all their personal data so the Republican state legislature can sell it to private companies? A federal abortion ban would last about a week in the U.S. - women aren’t going to put up with that shit and something 73% of Americans support reproductive freedom. Wait until they start banning IVF treatments. There just isn’t the support for this shit. If Dems can get the For The People Act passed next month, the GOP is over. Even if they don’t, shit is gonna get messy. The media loves Trumpism but Im not convinced the majority of the American electorate does - and American elections go the way that the centre leans not to the extremists.

by Anonymousreply 53September 26, 2021 8:26 PM

[quote] I support this. I feel gay marriage should have been left up to the states. Gays were making good headway changing hearts and minds one voter at a time, one state at a time.

Except they weren't about leaving it to the states. They were trying to create a Federal Marriage Amendment. Federal, as in nationwide. States like Texas were not satisfied with there not being same-sex marriage, they were proposing and passing laws banning same-sex marriage -and- any possible marriage-equivalents... in other words, no civil unions, no common-law equivalents, nothing. Oh, and they're still fighting, even after [italic] Obergefell v. Hodges.

by Anonymousreply 54September 27, 2021 8:50 PM

I hit enter before adding the link. Why any gay person continues to live in the shithole known as Texas is beyond me.

"On Friday, the Texas Supreme Court agreed with that argument, noting that Obergefell requires states to license and recognize same-sex marriages in the same manner as opposite-sex marriages [bold] but did not hold that “states must provide the same publicly funded benefits to all married persons.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 27, 2021 8:58 PM

R55 = About years I lived in Oklahoma and had friends in Texas, who I would visit. The reason people stay in the GOP LUNATIC STATES is because they actually believe things will get "better"for Gays. And they don't. You want to believe it but it just doesn't. The gays have Oak Lawn in Dallas. And it is a sanctuary. But outside the bubble the GOP hates you. Same in Oklahoma. I wised up and left.

by Anonymousreply 56September 29, 2021 12:03 AM

Whoever R54 is quoting should sit on a beat trap

by Anonymousreply 57September 30, 2021 1:42 AM

Face it: Texas and the other big MAGA states just want to return to 1859.

by Anonymousreply 58September 30, 2021 2:09 AM

How has Texas not outlawed IVF where eggs get fertilized and frozen? Isn't this the same as an abortion as no child is born generally. Many fertilized eggs are used to get just one to attach to the placenta and the rest are ABORTED!

I imagine most families choosing IVF are straight and white and have insurance which pays for all of this. Could that be why?

by Anonymousreply 59September 30, 2021 9:02 PM

I don't think TX is inconsistent about this, R59, because the fertilized eggs are under 6 weeks. However, we all know that Republicans want to ban abortion at any stage because they consider even a fertilized egg a full fledged human being, so yes, logically they should ban IVF. But they're hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 60September 30, 2021 10:46 PM

First abortion, then gay rights, then civil rights, then basic human rights. They are trying to return to the 19th century

by Anonymousreply 61September 30, 2021 10:57 PM

Fuck Texas!

by Anonymousreply 62September 30, 2021 11:00 PM

R61, given their opposition to science and rational thought, I think they want to go further back than that.

by Anonymousreply 63September 30, 2021 11:07 PM

I sure hope you’re not pro-trans making statements like that R63…

by Anonymousreply 64October 1, 2021 12:13 AM

How are things in Salinas today?

by Anonymousreply 65October 1, 2021 1:33 AM

For the last year (or at least this year) Texas Rpugs have been gearing up for the 2022 elections. (Deadline to file to run is in December of this year). Consequently, all of the fuckers have been busily attempting to “out-Trump” each other in the probably true assumption that in the primary the trumpisats will turn out in force. Also, the incumbents (“Like Abbot, Dan Patrick, Ken Paxton) are desperately trying to not get primaried. In most cases that’s not working. But the catering to the base strategy carries over to all repug incumbents. Hence, we in Texas have had several hundred totally whacko new laws passed by a group of sycophants trying to prove who is more trumpian than the other. It’s quite depressing.

by Anonymousreply 66October 1, 2021 4:59 AM

I lived in Texas for a few years one century, I could not recommend it and once I left I've never been back.

by Anonymousreply 67October 1, 2021 5:14 AM

Don't hold your breath. Voting law has been so warped in TX, that any ballots they do not like get tossed. 2018, tons of Beto vote switched to Cruz in front of our eyes and nothing happens. 2022 is gonna be worse.

by Anonymousreply 68October 1, 2021 5:41 AM

Does this issue center trans women? No? Lmao good luck getting "gay" orgs to give a shit. It ain't that way anymore

by Anonymousreply 69October 1, 2021 8:25 AM

R67 Glad you were able to get the hell out of that backwards shithole!

by Anonymousreply 70October 1, 2021 9:01 AM

Texas is a post-democracy now, just like Orbán’s Hungary or Putin’s Russia.

It no longer matters what the people themselves want; if, for example, a district votes 90% to 10% for a Democrat, the Republican-controlled state government can simply declare the vote invalid.

Texas is permanently lost to democracy. The only question now is how many other states will follow suit.

by Anonymousreply 71October 2, 2021 12:25 AM

R16 I would say the Repiglicans are trying return to 1400 (bc)

by Anonymousreply 72October 5, 2021 3:20 AM

Texas is becoming a Catholic state. While Republicans love to fret about Mexicans, Mexicans are literally giving Republicans exactly what they want.

by Anonymousreply 73October 5, 2021 3:22 AM

Bois is always trying to tell us how bad “woke” leftists are for gay people. The Republicans would celebrate for days on end if they could exterminate us out of existence.

by Anonymousreply 74October 5, 2021 3:25 AM

R45 You are delusional if you think Mexican-Americans are going to vote along with white liberals forever. Just look at Brazil, Chile and Paraguay for a look at hispanic fascism. Ironically republicans will get their backwards anti-gay, anti-abortion legislation, but it will be with brown people in charge.

by Anonymousreply 75October 5, 2021 3:27 AM

Texas and Florida need to secede. They’re an embarrassment. They can run their own Idiocracy infrastructure and see how well they do. Have it at it.

by Anonymousreply 76October 5, 2021 3:29 AM

Florida is a shithole and it deserves to sink not the sea. Texas has one nice city (Austin) but it's turning to shit. Climate change will make all of Texas uninhabitable in 50 years. Texas is turning blue not from immigration from Mexico but from internal white migration from California. It's a temporary development and it won't last.

by Anonymousreply 77October 5, 2021 3:34 AM

I really can’t blame the Right in Texas for taking this direction. For those of you who don’t live in Texas, the big cities are as liberal as they’ve always been. I have no idea about the smaller towns but obviously that’s mostly where the conservatives are. Being more socially liberal hasn’t helped to secure the state. Beto Cruz won by a hair in 2018. It wasn’t his socially liberal promises that got people to come out for him. Also, after every victory we gays have had, the organizations that represent us quickly move on to the next topic. After gay marriage it’s been tranny this and tranny that. Make your enemy go back and have to fight an old victory. Also, porn is rampant. These people have to deal with a world that their daughters have to live in. They have to let their daughters out in the world where straight boys think they can treat them like Bukakee whores. Bring back the sodomy laws, that should help. White people don’t care about their daughters? No worries, daughters in the Hispanic world are princesses, their parents care. With hordes of immigrants at the border all the time, do I believe this is wise? No. Do I think that it would matter to the the city folk if the Right did something about those immigrants? No. So, do something that might get you attention and votes. Yes, Those of you on here crying about the Right all the time, here you go, now they’ve given you something to cry about.

by Anonymousreply 78October 5, 2021 4:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!