Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The masks really do hinder and stifle

It’s not good for mental health or health in general normally. We need to ditch the masks after we reach herd immunity.

by Anonymousreply 71September 22, 2021 3:52 PM

I am a staunch mask advocate but I have to admit that I am sick of wearing a mask at this point. Don't get me wrong-- I still do it, and I still give dirty looks to assholes who don't.

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2021 1:09 AM

Are you vaccinated r1?

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2021 1:15 AM

Of course, r2. I was vaccinated on the first day I was eligible, in early March.

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2021 1:16 AM

FUCK YOUUU!

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2021 1:17 AM

So live your life !

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 1:17 AM

Once we reach herd immunity (is that possible?), I agree: no more fucking masks.

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2021 1:17 AM

Herd immunity isn't possible, not with 30% refusing to get vaccinated like it's their religion.

OP my only hope is that wearing your mask to protect yourself and others doesn't cause you to die of asphyxiation. Similar to how Covid-19 kills.

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 1:19 AM

So no end in sight? How many booster shots before you feel confident?

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2021 1:20 AM

R8 I'll listen to the CDC and follow the recommendations. But we won't reach herd immunity until 90% or so have been vaxxinated.

Frankly I like not getting colds or other illnesses from random people; I plan on wearing my mask in public regardless.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 1:24 AM

I want the new LG mask gen 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 1:25 AM

I have a Swedish-made Airinum. Recommended by Goop!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 1:27 AM

The people bitching about masks are the same people who will make sure we (responsible people) have to wear them forever.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 1:30 AM

I’m fully vaccinated, so I don’t worry about dying or ending up on a vent .

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 1:32 AM

R13 that's great, as long as you are still wearing your mask in public spaces. Because there are asymptomatic carriers of Covid-19 and while you may be vaccinated, you can still get and spread the illness.

And even vaccinated, you can have a hell of a time if you are susceptible to the virus.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 1:34 AM

Why can’t we reach herd immunity with the unvaccinated catching Covid and developing antibodies? Why is that discounted?

Just for the record I am fully vaccinated and am not one of those “natural immunity is the only way” idiots. But why doesn’t immunity from prior infection count?

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 1:36 AM

I am sure seeing a lot of snowflakes and Autumn is still a couple of days away.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 1:42 AM

R14, I don’t give a fuck if I infect an unvaccinated. Most vaccines stop the spread .

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 2:02 AM

I disagree. I think the mask will be useful in flu season, particularly for those who commute or work in crowded spaces. I also think Covid is here to stay. For the long term anyway.

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 2:20 AM

R17 no, they don't stop the spread. And you can infect vaccinated people too.

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 2:25 AM

Not to mention r17 that currently children are not able to be vaccinated. They may allow it soon for some younger ages, but they won't be allowing it for babies and infants for awhile.

You can't control who or how you infect. Even if you aren't around children, you could infect someone who is.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 2:27 AM

The likelihood of vax’d infecting vax’d is still so low that it’s not worth worrying about.

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2021 2:27 AM

All this hysteria makes the unvaccinated feel emboldened.

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2021 2:36 AM

I'm vaxxed and wear a mask where it's required. I'm not a doctor, but I am not convinced that wearing a mask protects people from colds and flu without social distancing and plexiglass and half the world staying in the house and all of the other measures taken during the pandemic. I think the mask is more theatre than anything. Everyone needs to follow state and local guidelines about masking or their own personal comfort level where there are no guidelines. I think both sides have been nuts about masks, a bunch of overreactions.

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2021 2:51 AM

I think you are correct, R23.

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2021 2:53 AM

r6 one more time. It is a virus. Have we reached herd immunity with the cold (norovirus( or flu? Herd immunity is a fallacy when a virus can mutate. Get fucking vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2021 2:55 AM

R21 please point to the scientific study I am sure you based that matter-of-fact statement upon.

R23 they said that the plexiglass didn't do very much. And yes that was theater. However, masks do work, especially if they are n95 masks. This is not a both sides issue. Look at what the scientists are saying. The CDC's recommendations. Anyone else is just bloviating their opinion, much like you are doing.

by Anonymousreply 26September 21, 2021 2:59 AM

OP, please wander the streets mask-free. Go to a movie or two, eat in a White Castle, sit in a bar, and kiss yo mama on the lips.

by Anonymousreply 27September 21, 2021 3:02 AM

We will get to herd immunity once the majority of the unvaxxed get Covid and die.

by Anonymousreply 28September 21, 2021 3:09 AM

Covid doesn’t kill enough people for that to happen, R28.

If only…

by Anonymousreply 29September 21, 2021 3:11 AM

[quote]This is not a both sides issue. Look at what the scientists are saying. The CDC's recommendations. Anyone else is just bloviating their opinion, much like you are doing.

Actually, it kind of is. Regardless of what the new guidance is about plexiglass, you mean to tell me that social distancing and half the world working from home and having groceries delivered wasn't as big a player as masks? Like it not, masks have been politicized. Trumpers started it and democrats keep it going. And last year, during the holidays, when travel picked up and cases went up, even though mask mandates were still in place - that wasn't a thing? Now, I'll stop bloviating.

by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2021 3:13 AM

Poor sweet darling baby, OP!

I [bold]deeply[/bold] care about your comfort and convenience of movement!

by Anonymousreply 31September 21, 2021 3:15 AM

R30 dude I'm not telling you anything but to read the guidance the CDC has put out. And no, it's not a "both sides" issue, except for the fact that one side is denying science in order to score cheap political points even as it kills their constituents, and the other side is trying to keep people safe.

All your bloviating is showing is you have been paying half attention to it, because claiming masks don't work because cases went up over the holidays last year is pretty clueless.

This feels like a troll thread that the OP is using to push anti-mask propaganda under disengenuous mask fatigue.

by Anonymousreply 32September 21, 2021 3:29 AM

I hope I infect quite a few unvaccinated deplorables who then die slowly and painfully. No more masks for me.

by Anonymousreply 33September 21, 2021 4:18 AM

I hope we keep the masks because I LOATHE travelling on buses and trains and seeing a certain demographic of person pick their noses and wipe the mucus on the seat or other places I'm obliged to touch.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2021 4:28 AM

Which demographic, R34? Name names!

by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2021 4:36 AM

The actual ambulanes are too busy, but this seems more appropriate for OP + his thread friends:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 21, 2021 4:38 AM

*ambulances

by Anonymousreply 37September 21, 2021 4:38 AM

We have passed the point of no return concerning 'herd immunity.'

It's not going to happen. Herd immunity would have been a situation where *most* got vaccinated + practiced safe social distancing, all at roughly the same time in the same way. Maybe a small population of very immunocompromised people would then opt not to get vaccinated for health reasons but because everyone else was/is, there was a sizable buffer zone between them and possible illness.

That is the concept of herd immunity. Even though the term now gets bandied about and used in lots of different ways- sometimes incorrectly.

The term you are really looking for is endemic.

Endemic means that Covid is probably here to stay. BUT....it also means that over time, as more people develop antibodies either through vaccination or illness, it becomes less problematic. Kind of like the flu. Getting the flu was a very scary prospect at one time but now that everyone in the world has had it multiple times over...it's kind of....defanged. Unless you are elderly/severely immunocompromised/or there is particularly bad strain going around.

The original hope the world had for trying to contain this thing is loooong gone. The genie is out of the bottle and even if we had like 90% global compliance on the vaccines, we still might not get there at this point.

But keep in mind that the vaccines *have* slowed progression and greatly improved disease outcome to it's not a total loss. That's a very good result.

Now the medical establishment will move away from a containment model into more sophisticated first line defense treatments for when you *do* get Covid.

We still don't technically have a cure for AIDS. But we've made huge strides in preventative medicine concerning HIV. And in the West, the level of innovation with new drugs and management plans mean that if you look after yourself, you can still lead a good life.

I think it will be like that.

by Anonymousreply 38September 21, 2021 4:53 AM

[quote]why doesn’t immunity from prior infection count?

Supposedly because it doesn't last, much like how we aren't immune to cold viruses.

by Anonymousreply 39September 21, 2021 5:02 AM

I don’t mind the masks for quick trips or short events.

Wearing one for 6+ hours while travelling gets a bit annoying..

by Anonymousreply 40September 21, 2021 5:23 AM

[quote] All this hysteria

Hysteria, lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 21, 2021 5:29 AM

I think it will be like common cold or the flu, R38, and not like HIV/AIDS. Don’t you think?? Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 42September 21, 2021 5:43 AM

If only we could achieve merde immunity.

by Anonymousreply 43September 21, 2021 6:07 AM

It’s annoying that people want to act like they aren’t annoying. They are. We’re doing it for the good of the community. Denying how annoying they are doesn’t help that and goes into the thought control category.

by Anonymousreply 44September 21, 2021 6:19 AM

For the average poster on DL, who is 65 (while constantly being mistaken for 25, of course) , a mask is a beauty feature. It covers up double chins, saggy muscles around the mouth and nose, liver spots and a myriad of other issues that come with age. We should be praising it as such, rather than resisting it. I actually feel sort of naked without it when I'm out in public, even if walking on a street outdoors, and sometimes head off in my car with it already on if I know I'll be going somewhere where it's required, so that I don't forget it when I get to my destination.

by Anonymousreply 45September 21, 2021 9:00 AM

R45, is ugly and always was

by Anonymousreply 46September 21, 2021 10:34 AM

ちょっと

by Anonymousreply 47September 21, 2021 10:46 AM

If you live in the northeast, they're great during winters. I think they work. I keep seeing "but there was a lot of factors, like everyone staying home!" In what damn universe? That was the biggest joke of all this. Other countries and healthcare workers have used masks for awhile too. They work. Yes, in nice weather they can be annoying, but they work.

by Anonymousreply 48September 21, 2021 12:19 PM

I love masks and will use them the rest of my life. I always envied what they did in Japan and other Asian countries during winters.

It’s sad seeing people hope some “deplorable” gets the virus and die. Remember the AIDS crisis? It doesn’t feel good to have people wish that on you.

by Anonymousreply 49September 21, 2021 1:08 PM

Everyone looks so ghoulish in them.

by Anonymousreply 50September 21, 2021 1:15 PM

Im tired of them too but if a place insists that I put one on, I do without acting out over it. It's the least of my problems

by Anonymousreply 51September 21, 2021 1:19 PM

How do you reach herd immunity with a virus that's constantly mutating into something worse?

by Anonymousreply 52September 21, 2021 1:43 PM

Thank you OP

by Anonymousreply 53September 21, 2021 1:47 PM

R52 see R38's post.

by Anonymousreply 54September 21, 2021 1:59 PM

It’s a flimsy piece of cloth. Go fuck yourself, you fucking snowflake.

by Anonymousreply 55September 21, 2021 2:10 PM

R44, what is annoying is people acting like wearing a mask is annoying. It is no big deal at all. People should grow the hell up. I suppose you think that wearing a seat belt is annoying as well. "It is so tight on my chest!" Wearing a mask is no more annoying than wearing socks. Like wearing a seat belt, after a while you just do it automatically without even thinking about it.

OP, the deplorable, is just making stuff up...as they do...about wearing them being bad for mental health (what a laugh!) and health in general. Do you know how many people were already wearing some sort of mask as part of their normal work? Do you really think people have been keeling over from carbon monoxide poisoning while doing someone's nails or working in a factory? Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 56September 21, 2021 2:16 PM

[quote]People should grow the hell up. I suppose you think that wearing a seat belt is annoying as well.

Same story, different day. (Note: this clip is actually from the Chris Hayes show, not the Daily Show.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 21, 2021 2:25 PM

How about we kidnap all COVID disinformation trolls and ship them to Gitmo?

I think that would do wonders to improve public health.

by Anonymousreply 58September 21, 2021 2:28 PM

I remember being a kid in the 80s when seatbelt alarms were introduced, and they were a harsh buzzing sound.

My trashy relatives would just buckle the seat belt on the seat and sit on top of it.

I was horrified.

by Anonymousreply 59September 21, 2021 2:40 PM

And bikers still ride in anti-helmet rallies, even after traumatic brain injury

Stupid’s gonna stupid

by Anonymousreply 60September 21, 2021 2:55 PM

[quote] Wearing a mask is no more annoying than wearing socks.

This is not true. My feet don’t *exhale* on themselves in socks the way my nose and mouth do on my face when I’m wearing a mask. So in just that one sense, it is more annoying than wearing socks.

It’s also very difficult to run in a mask or catch your breath in a mask after you’ve been running.

Eyeglasses fog up, too.

Look, I wear a mask wherever it’s required; I’m not a “Deplorable”. But you can’t seriously expect people to never acknowledge how annoying masks are in certain regards.

I’m fully vaccinated, I did the most important thing I could do during this pandemic. I continue to wear a mask in public indoor spaces on top of being fully vaccinated. And you’re saying I’m not allowed to complain about the downside of mask wearing? Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 61September 21, 2021 3:15 PM

Masks are nothing compared to bras.

by Anonymousreply 62September 21, 2021 3:16 PM

For the record, 51%, I’m a gay man, and I agree your nipples should be legally freed from their bondage.

by Anonymousreply 63September 21, 2021 5:41 PM

Oh hell no, nobody wants to see those saggy titties flopping all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 64September 21, 2021 6:03 PM

You’re part of the problem, OP. Now kindly fuck off, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 65September 21, 2021 6:29 PM

[quote]The masks really do hinder and stifle

Do you mean when you're trying to get a cock in there, dahling?

by Anonymousreply 66September 21, 2021 6:34 PM

Pro-Covid motherfucking OP, shut the fuck up and get the fuck out.

They're annoying? SO WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 67September 21, 2021 7:31 PM

R61, I didn't AT ALL state that you aren't allowed to complain about the (supposed and miniscule) downside of mask wearing; I'm stating you are a whiny little prissy over-entitled bitch for complaining about the "downside" of mask wearing. Not the same thing at all.

by Anonymousreply 68September 21, 2021 7:41 PM

Oh, well that’s definitely a meaningful distinction then.

Just for that response, R68, I am no longer going to wear a mask.

by Anonymousreply 69September 22, 2021 3:44 AM

Why do deplorables always think that they have some right not to be criticized?

What a bunch of babies. “You said something mean, therefore, I’m going to spread diseases around society!”

The sooner they all die, the better the world will be.

by Anonymousreply 70September 22, 2021 2:09 PM

How much time are most people having to wear masks throughout the day? I have to wear one all day at work, but is that the case for most people?

If not for work, I’d hardly have to wear one at all. A quick trip to the store? In a restaurant walking from the front door to the table? Are people really spending hours a day in public places?

by Anonymousreply 71September 22, 2021 3:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!