Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Star Wars’ Editor Marcia Lucas Slams Kathleen Kennedy and J.J. Abrams: ‘They Don’t Have a Clue’

Marcia Lucas is no fan of the Disney-produced “Star Wars” movies. While being interviewed for J.W. Rinzler’s just-published book on “The Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi” film producer Howard Kazanjian, Lucas slammed current Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and director J.J. Abrams for their storyline decisions. The choice to kill off Han Solo and Luke Skywalker particularly made Lucas upset.

Lucas won an Oscar for editing the original “Star Wars” along with Paul Hirsch and Richard Chew. She returned to co-edit “Return of the Jedi” and went uncredited on “The Empire Strikes Back.” Prior to “Star Wars,” Lucas made a name for herself editing Martin Scorsese’s “Taxi Driver” and “Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore,” and she was also Oscar nominated for “American Graffiti.” Marcia Lucas was married to George Lucas between 1969 and 1983.

“I Like Kathleen. I always liked her,” Marcia Lucas says in Rinzler’s book, “Howard Kazanjian: A Producer’s Life.” “She was full of beans. She was really smart and really bright. Really wonderful woman. And I liked her husband, Frank. I liked them a lot. Now that she’s running Lucasfilm and making movies, it seems to me that Kathy Kennedy and J.J. Abrams don’t have a clue about ‘Star Wars.’ They don’t get it. And JJ Abrams is writing these stories — when I saw that movie where they kill Han Solo, I was furious. I was furious when they killed Han Solo. Absolutely, positively there was no rhyme or reason to it. I thought, You don’t get the Jedi story. You don’t get the magic of ‘Star Wars.’ You’re getting rid of Han Solo?”

Rinzler, a former executive editor at Lucasfilm, interviewed Lucas in between the releases of “The Last Jedi” and “The Rise of Skywalker,” although his book on Kazanjian was just published September 14, 2021. (Rinzler passed away shortly before the book’s release.) Lucas also railed against the decision to kill Luke Skywalker in “The Last Jedi.”

“They have Luke disintegrate,” Lucas says. “They killed Han Solo. They killed Luke Skywalker. And they don’t have Princess Leia anymore. And they’re spitting out movies every year. And they think it’s important to appeal to a woman’s audience, so now their main character is this female, who’s supposed to have Jedi powers, but we don’t know how she got Jedi powers, or who she is. It sucks. The storylines are terrible. Just terrible. Awful. You can quote me…JJ Abrams, Kathy Kennedy — talk to me.'”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 28, 2021 12:45 AM

Here's a clue, bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2021 9:17 PM

Sooner or later Kennedys fuck up everything they touch

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2021 9:31 PM

Chewbacquiddick

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2021 9:53 PM

She's absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2021 9:57 PM

Yup.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2021 10:23 PM

Lucas sold off his right to bitch about any of this.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2021 10:34 PM

She's right. The new trilogy is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2021 11:11 PM

Wasn't it said that Harrison Ford's condition for returning to the role of Han Solo was if they killed him off?

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2021 11:19 PM

R8 Maybe it was, but there was a way to do that much better...also, they wasted the potential of having the three original leads reunite.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 4:38 AM

I'm sure George feels precisely the same way about the newest trilogy. He likes The Mandalorian, though. If Disney's smart, they'll have Dave Filoni supervise over all the upcoming Star Wars films and TV shows. He knows what he's doing with the material and respects what George Lucas created.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 4:47 AM

I didn't hate the most recent three as much as you did. I'd rather they didn't kill off Han Solo and Luke Skywalker but whatever. I'd be happy if they went in a more "Mandalorian" direction in the future.

When is that Boba Fett series/season coming? I'm looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 5:01 AM

Great. A particular portion of the fanbase is going to have a field day with this.

Does she not even know that most of the story/plot/character points she doesn't like from the sequels were supposedly from George's original outlines for the sequel trilogy? Contrary to what many believe, JJ/Rian/Kathleen actually used a good majority of his ideas, just slightly reworking them. A female jedi as the new hero, the Skywalker/Solo offspring as the new villain, killing off the legacy characters, etc. In fact, George wanted to kill Luke and Han in his original idea for Ep 7 (fairly early on). And his take on Luke was even darker. Harrison also only agreed to return if they killed of Han, which is what he originally wanted in Ep 6 (Return of the Jedi). I believe it was stipulated that he would only return for 1 film, and that's if they killed off Solo. Also the idea of the son killing his father was also George's idea. In fact, JJ and Kathleen expanded on what to do with the legacy characters far more than what was originally planned by George.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 5:03 AM

☝️ Disney shill alert! ☝️

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 5:06 AM

R13 There is no 'shilling'...those points were discussed by multiple creatives involved, and published in multiple articles, and have been discussed in fan circles for years now.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 5:10 AM

[quote]When is that Boba Fett series/season coming? I'm looking forward to it.

December.

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 5:27 AM

Cool. Thank you, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 5:29 AM

That’s not the case R8. Although he’d said in previous years that he wanted to kill Han Solo off, when Ford signed for the new movies, he expected to be in all three. This was before they threw out the George Lucas treatment of the story.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 5:33 AM

The new trilogy was a fucking mess, poorly cast, and most people hated it.

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 5:35 AM

Im glad someone finally publicly blasted those two bitches, everyone else in the industry has something to lose so theyve kissed their asses. Kennedy and Abrams totally ran the franchise in the ground.

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 7:20 AM

The problem is the legit gripes the audience had with the trilogy (ie the story wasn’t planned out from episode to episode) got lost within the torrent of racist, misogynist incel garbage that forever tainted the fandom in the eyes of the wider world

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 1:43 PM

She only hates the Disney trilogy because she's a white man! Oh wait.

I read somewhere that the contract George Lucas signed with Disney when he sold Star Wars stipulated that he couldn't disparage the company or the movies publicly. That's why he only gave faint praise to the new movies, saying they looked great or lauding the cinematography.

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2021 1:52 PM

But killing Yoda.was fine since it was their idea.

I loved the first three and last three installments in this franchise.

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2021 2:12 PM

She's totally right, and by the way, her editing saved A New Hope.

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2021 2:34 PM

Marcia Lucas, you will never work in this town again!

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2021 2:45 PM

She ain’t wrong

by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2021 2:53 PM

Are there more Star Wars movies planned? With Rey, Finn, etc? Or in three years is there going to be the start of a new trilogy?

I was excited for these new ones, but they weren’t great. The first one was okay, I was fine with Han dying and Oscar Isaac as Poe was hot as hell. Kylo Ren turned out to be a waste- he had potential. They never should’ve ‘redeemed’ him. Should’ve kept him bad to the end. Whatever. The second and third- crap.

The best Star Wars movie in recent years was Rogue One. That was great.

by Anonymousreply 26September 21, 2021 3:33 PM

I agree Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie in recent years. And The Mandalorian is a great show. Both tell stories from within the Star Wars universe and tell them well. They capture the feel of the original trilogy but tell their own stories. That's what can save the Star Wars universe. The last trilogy had an ok first movie (it was really a re-telling of the A New Hope), then squandered the other two.

They did blow so many chances in the new trilogy, like having Luke, Leia and Han all together again. Then recycling the Emperor as the big-bad was just such a terrible idea. Why re-tread old ground, and also shit on the legacy of the original trilogy which had our heroes successfully defeat the Emperor only to have him come back? Just terrible, no matter whose idea it was. And if it was George Lucas's idea, it still sucked. Why even pursue an idea from him when he totally fucked up the prequels?

by Anonymousreply 27September 21, 2021 5:17 PM

[quote]The problem is the legit gripes the audience had with the trilogy (ie the story wasn’t planned out from episode to episode) got lost within the torrent of racist, misogynist incel garbage that forever tainted the fandom in the eyes of the wider world

Any criticism of how shit the actors in the new trilogy were got shouted down with "racist!" "misogynist!" accusations.

by Anonymousreply 28September 21, 2021 9:32 PM

There's been talk of having the new trilogy not being in the Star Wars canon. There are absolutely no plans to do anything with those characters in future projects.

by Anonymousreply 29September 21, 2021 9:33 PM

Has there ever been a franchise with more unhappy, whiny fans than Star Wars? It peaked with Empire Strikes Back and ever since there has been nothing but complaints. It has been 3 decades of fanboys’ and fangirls’ tears. Give it up.

by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2021 9:46 PM

Actually r30 the Mandalorian and Rogue One are loved.

by Anonymousreply 31September 21, 2021 9:48 PM

Because we all want to hear the fanboys’ and fangirls’ cries of it’s not as good as the “Empire Strikes Back” for four more decades. These obsessives are never going to be happy with anything.

Kennedy and Abrams were wise to ignore them and keep making bank off the properties. I hope they make every one of these incels regret ever having spent one minute of their lives caring about Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 32September 21, 2021 9:56 PM

Now you know why George divorced her back in 1983. She hates everything, including the prequels. There's a lot of misogyny and this and if they had let her continue I'd bet she'd go off on having black actors cast as a lead too. Boomer dope.

by Anonymousreply 33September 21, 2021 9:59 PM

Now you know why George divorced her back in 1983. She hates everything, including the prequels. There's a lot of misogyny and this and if they had let her continue I'd bet she'd go off on having black actors cast as a lead too. Boomer dope.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2021 10:00 PM

[quote]These obsessives are never going to be happy with anything.

Again, people love The Mandalorian and Rogue One.

[quote]Kennedy and Abrams were wise to ignore them and keep making bank off the properties.

The new trilogy is hated and didn't perform as well. Nobody is going to remember it in 40 years, like the original films. People just want to forget it ever happened.

by Anonymousreply 35September 22, 2021 1:09 AM

The fact is that none of the movies are very good. And I say that as a fan. I saw Episode 4 when it first opened and yeah, I loved it. I really liked The Empire Strikes Back. I liked Return Of The Jedi except for those fucking Ewoks.

Then Lucas gets total control of it all and grinds out the absolutely shitty Episodes 1 and 2. Episode 3 was better, but not great.

I really liked the last three. I realize I'm in the minority but they're just better movies. TBH I think a lot fanboys hate that the last Jedi is a woman.

I recently rewatched the original three films. They're just okay.

by Anonymousreply 36September 22, 2021 1:22 AM

She also said that "The Phantom Menace" was so bad, it made her cry! Rofl!!!

[quote] One member of the “Star Wars” family who doesn’t hide her dislike of the prequels is Marcia Lucas, who won an Oscar for editing the original “Star Wars” along with Paul Hirsch and Richard Chew. She returned to co-edit “Return of the Jedi” and went uncredited on “The Empire Strikes Back.” Marcia Lucas was married to George Lucas between 1969 and 1983. In Rinzler’s book, Marcia revealed “Phantom Menace” was so bad that she cried after a screening of the movie.

[quote] “George is, in his heart and soul, a good guy and a talented filmmaker. I wish he would’ve kept directing [other kinds of] movies,” Lucas said. “But when I went to see Episode I — I had a friend who worked at ILM, who took me as a guest to a preview — I cried. I cried because I didn’t think it was very good. And I thought he had such a rich vein to mine, a rich palette to tell stories with. He had all those characters.”

[quote] Lucas continued, “I thought it was weird that the story was about this little boy who looked like he was six years old, but then later on he’s supposed to get with this princess who looked like she was twenty years old. There were things I didn’t like about the casting, and things I didn’t like about the story…it was a lot of eye candy. CG.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 28, 2021 12:03 AM

One reason the original trilogy became so successful is because of the cast. Ford, Fisher and Hamill were lightning in a bottle. They were all absolutely perfect for their roles, and had loads of charisma and fantastic shared chemistry with one another. You cared about their characters and what happened to them, there was a bond with the audience.

Also, Alec Guinness played Obi-Wan Kenobi like he was playing Shakespeare. He gave 110% of himself into that performance and it showed. He elevated the material and gave the whole story a touch of class.

It was brilliant casting, and the following films could never capture that magic that the original actors had.

by Anonymousreply 38September 28, 2021 12:40 AM

I just have one question.

HOW IN THE HELL DID LEIA SURVIVE BEING BLASTED INTO SPACE, AND THEN FLOATED BACK TO THE SHIP???

That part always trips me out. Her body would have been instantly frozen into an ice cube. And she wouldn't have been able to breathe!!!

It's way, way, way, way too unbelievable. Even more Sci-Fi.

by Anonymousreply 39September 28, 2021 12:45 AM

r39 it was The Force.

by Anonymousreply 40September 28, 2021 12:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!