Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The (only?) Guatemalan DLer: ask me anything.

Go ahead.

by Anonymousreply 139September 27, 2021 3:47 AM

What is it like to live in a small country that is considered completely corrupt? Or is it?

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2021 8:56 PM

Is there any gay scene at all?

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2021 8:57 PM

Do you have Guatemalaness, a natural heat?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2021 8:57 PM

Does that make you a Guatamalteco? Is that the Spanish term?

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2021 8:58 PM

Are you Guatelmalan? Or an American ex-pat?

Are Guatemalan guys hot? Are lots of them bi?

How accepted are gay people there?

What is the cost of living in Guatemala vs. the US?

How's the Covid situation?

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2021 8:58 PM

Is the food like Mexican food?

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2021 8:58 PM

Is Ladino cock different from American cock?

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2021 9:00 PM

The term is Guatemalteco. I assume there is a gay scene but I'm not really part of it.

Living here is vomit inducing. The country itself is marvelous, we aren't called the Country of the eternal spring for nothing. What kills us is the absolute corruption of the government and the awful crime situation.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2021 9:01 PM

Can't you move?

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2021 9:02 PM

Have there ever periods of improvement?

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2021 9:02 PM

How does your food compare with Mexico and your neighbors? Anything special you're fond of and think we should try?

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2021 9:03 PM

[quote] Have there ever periods of improvement?

I’m not OP, but I visited there as a tourist in the early 2000s and I know someone well from Guatemala. Things seemed to be improving at that time after the Civil War but then went downhill with increased crime and instability. I’m not sure I’d visit now. I loved it there. Such a beautiful country.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2021 9:07 PM

Do you know any words in any Mayan dialect?

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2021 9:11 PM

OP I went to Antigua and to lake Atitlan last June. Where do you live? I saw a volcano erupting and the people were so nice. Guatemala City was rough, though. Are you Mayan? And which tribe?

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2021 9:14 PM

OP here. Guatemala is a mostly Mayan or people with Mayan ancestry country. I'm not, or have very little Mayan blood. My mother is Mexican (white) and my father is Guatemalan (he looks Middle Eastern). I lived for 2 years in Barcelona, studying, and everyone assumed I was Spanish.

Regarding gay life, I assume it's lively, but becasue I'm very shy, have lived a VERY, VERY sheltered life, suffer from deep depression (I barely go out; I work from home in a family-owned business) and to, my shame, I'm a little bit classist, I don't participate in the gay life.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2021 9:17 PM

Antigua is almost 380 years old. Could it pass for being only 250 years old?

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2021 9:18 PM

The food is kinda Mexican adjacent. Less spicy and more sauce-based.

The climate, even tho were in the tropics, and places with low altitude are very hot and humid, most people live in the highlands (above 1,000 meters). That altitude makes the weather wonderful. Most people don't use A/C in the city.

I live in a suburb of Guatemala City with 1,800 meters in altitude, and it's really great.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2021 9:21 PM

I had a co-worker friend from Guatemala City. He was from a middle class background, but said it was very hard to find work in his field (IT) so he got sponsored for a work visa and emigrated. He loved going back for visits, but felt the hope for long-term economic improvement was slim. Do you agree?

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2021 9:23 PM

40 years ago I had a boyfriend from Guatemala named Elmer. Is he a friend of yours?

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2021 9:23 PM

Have you visited Tikal or Yaxha?

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2021 9:23 PM

Do you prefer picking lettuce or apples?

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2021 9:26 PM

OP here. Regarding the Birdcage joke, it's really funny but not realistic. People here are conservative (but not hateful) and rather cold or at hands-lenght. There is not ¨natural heat¨.

To my lasting shame, even tho I have travaled some (mostly the US and Europe) I haven't visisted Tikal. It's kind of a hassle to go there. I do have visisted a LOT Antigua and Lake Atitlán. In fact we used to hava a vacation home in Antigua when I was growing up.

#18. Long term improvement here is very difficult. I kinda have it easy because I work in a smallish-industrial family owned business, so I kinda have and assured job forever but for most people that is not the reality. Life here for most people is hard but not unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2021 9:37 PM

#21. And that's why I'd rather manage life here than go pick up vegetables or wash dishes in the US.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2021 9:38 PM

#15. I live in a suburb of Guatemala City (Carretera a El Salvador is called, it's a middle-upper middle-high class suburb). Yeah, even tho there are pockets of wealth in Guatemala City, most of it is indeed rough and tought and downright ugly.

The thing here is you can have mansions and wealthy places just next door to shanty-towns, etc.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2021 9:41 PM

Is Fiambre something commonly eaten?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2021 9:44 PM

The cost of living is way lower than the US, but the wages are low too. Compared to other Latin American cities, the cost of living in Guatemala City is rather expensive. Is more expensive than ALL of Mexican cities (except Mexico City).

The COVID situation is bad, but not catastrophic. The total death toll is around 13,000 (and growing) for a population of around 17 millions. So even tho it's bad, it's still a lot better than say the US and Mexico.

In the US and Mexico, 2 out of every 1,000 people have died of COVID, here is less, tho when all is said and done, I do think we will reach the 1 out of every 1,000 milestone.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2021 9:46 PM

Fiambre is eaten (sp?), and only eaten, on November 1st. The funny thing is that I do crave fiambre on, and only on, that date.

The two years I lived in Barcelona, I craved that dish only on that date.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2021 9:49 PM

Are you proud of your contribution to humanity, guacamole? Why do you hate Hondurans?

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2021 9:50 PM

Are you a Star Wars fan?

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2021 9:50 PM

Regarding our President. He's an ancient fag, and of the worst kind. The type that everyone, and their mother, here knows that he is gay and the asshole is a conservative and anti-abortion just to score political points.

His government has been catastrophic and extremly corrupt. He had a twink boyfriend, and he gave that guy political power. The grapevine here says that the he had been having a relationship with that guy since he was very young, making our current President a pedophile and that's why he was giving him power, because he was being blackmailed.

Anyways, the boytoy, who was from an underpriviledged background, made his fortune in a little more than year, left the President and high-tailed to Europe, I think to Spain.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2021 9:54 PM

We dont' hate Hondurans. Just like the Mexicans hate and envy the US, people here hate and envy Mexicans (not me tho, becasue my mother is Mexican). We kinda don't think about the other Central American countries, or look down upon them, at least Honduras and Nicaragua.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2021 9:57 PM

Intriguing post, R30.

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2021 10:08 PM

How long is your foreskin?

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2021 10:09 PM

Is tequila popular there?

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2021 10:12 PM

Considering the CIA killed tens of thousands of Guatemalans enforcing our Smash and Grab foreign policy back in 1954 its a wonder there's any real Guatemalans left!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2021 10:13 PM

Are the maras active there, or are they still only in El Salvador?

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2021 10:15 PM

This is so interesting, OP. You can’t really go around asking these kinds of questions as a tourist, especially not in rudimentary Duolingo. I always wonder if there are Dataloungers wherever I go, and I’m glad to know there’s Guatemalan representation!

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2021 10:18 PM

OP, thanks for starting this thread.

Do you have a desire to immigrate to the U.S., and do most of your friends, as well?

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2021 10:18 PM

[quote] its a wonder there's any real Guatemalans left!

What's wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you: no wire hangers ever!?

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2021 10:19 PM

OP, you speak awfully good English for someone who's never lived in an English-speaking country and who's shy and doesn't participate in gay life calling himself "classist" because of it. I'm not sure I believe a word of what you're saying.

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2021 10:20 PM

Hola chapín.I had a Guatemalan boyfriend for awhile. He was from Bananera (Banana Town) . Handsome guy but mentally damaged. His father used to pull guns on him and threaten to kill him when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2021 10:21 PM

Usually ESTs revolve around sex. I don’t think this is an EST.

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2021 10:23 PM

[quote] He had a twink boyfriend, and he gave that guy political power.

Do you have name or pic of the boyfriend? I assume he's known if he has political power.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2021 10:25 PM

Are you Latinx?

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2021 10:26 PM

OP - Judy, Dionne or Barbra?

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2021 10:28 PM

Is this the pres + the twink sidepiece?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2021 10:28 PM

I hae actually lived in the US for a some 4 months. As a teen I went in an exchange program, to East Texas nonetheless, in two separate occasions.

Banananera is on the Atlantic (or Caribbean) Coast. And it's a smallish, ugly coast town. People there are very chauvinist there.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2021 10:29 PM

That twink @R46 is gorgeous 😍!

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2021 10:31 PM

The President and the twink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2021 10:31 PM

I thought Guatemalans were great looking overall. The steep hills keep them in tiptop shape, at least where I was.

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2021 10:38 PM

That's not really a "twink", he's actually cute.

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2021 10:44 PM

Que farsa...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2021 10:50 PM

True or false: Is Oscar Isaacthe only attractive Guatamalan?

by Anonymousreply 53September 20, 2021 10:52 PM

The Central Americans here in Arizona are all about 5'1", stocky and have square heads (like a Mayan statue). Nice butts, though, and I like their black hair and brown skin.

by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2021 10:55 PM

False

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2021 10:56 PM

[quote] True or false: Is Oscar Isaacthe only attractive Guatamalan?

OP is attractive too. I just know.

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2021 10:59 PM

OP here. I actually wish I had Mayan blood, that way I wouldn't be bald. Mayans don't lose their hair. As it stands my Spanish genes fucked me over. When I lived in Spain I was shocked to see that almost half of the men were bald or balding. Here in Guatemala I stick out as a sore thumb.

And to think I used to be a rather, tho very skinny, twink.

*Cries*

by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2021 11:01 PM

I find your mysterious Nazca lines both romantic and enigmatic. Have you ever walked along the trail of one?

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2021 11:07 PM

That's interesting gossip about the President and that so-called twink. From R55's article:

[quote] That day both wore identical glasses just as on other occasions they have shown in the right hand very similar rings, if not identical.

by Anonymousreply 59September 20, 2021 11:10 PM

Most of the gossip here is true. There is only one big city, and high society is very, very small, basically everyone knows everyone in those circles.

by Anonymousreply 60September 20, 2021 11:15 PM

Not OP, but my husband is Guatemalan and I've been there a few times. To answer people's food questions: the food there is absolutely disgusting and is practically inedible. Bland as hell - nothing like Mexican food - and frankly, unsanitary. There is one restaurant in Antigua that was good (the one that Bill Clinton visited), otherwise, the only other safe bet is Pollo Campero. And EVERYTHING needs to be washed down with Gallo beer.

by Anonymousreply 61September 20, 2021 11:25 PM

R61 = a shill for Gallo beer

by Anonymousreply 62September 20, 2021 11:30 PM

OP, thank you for this thread. It's super-interesting, especially since we can ask politically incorrect questions. Here's one: Is there much overt or covert racism toward indigenous inhabitants? I believe most guatemaltecos are mestizo; is there a lot of quiet, mostly unspoken attention paid to skin color, “European” appearance, etc., as I've heard is the case in Mexico?

Speaking of ... thank you for your comments about Mexico as well. I've wondered what people in Central America thought about Mexico, given that it's so much bigger and richer. Do many Guatemalans move to Mexico for greater opportunities? Can you tell from the accent whether a person is Mexican or Guatemalan, or could you just blend in?

Is it true that all middle-class families in Guatemala have servants? Do they usually live in or come by day and go home at night?

by Anonymousreply 63September 20, 2021 11:35 PM

[quote] we can ask politically incorrect questions. Here's one: Is there much overt or covert racism toward indigenous inhabitants?

You think that is a politically incorrect question? That is the very definition of political correctness.

by Anonymousreply 64September 20, 2021 11:54 PM

Is Rigoberta Menchu popular there?

by Anonymousreply 65September 20, 2021 11:54 PM

#63. Lol a lot of attention is given to skin color and racial appearance. It's exactly like Mexico on this aspect. There is a lot of covert and open racism from the Whites and even Mestizos against the Mayan population. Indio!!!! is an insult. I'm not going to lie here, I have been guilty of some of it myself. The new generations (I'm an older millenial, born in late 1982) are much better here with the older ones, my parents and grandparents´, being worse.

During the years of the Civil War (1960-1996) many, many people had to escape to Mexico. And still today people go there, but mostly the people who emigrate want to go to the US. Mexico is much, MUCH worse in the violence department. And the accent is very different. It's a dead giveaway for Mexicans here, not so sure about Guatemalan accent in Mexico. TBH, I don't think Mexicans think about us Guatemalans a lot or at all. Just like they are Americans' poor neighbors, we are Mexico's poor neighbors, and El Salvador is our poor neighbor, Honduras is El Salvador's poor neighbor and Nicaragua is the poorest of them all.

Regarding servants, yes they are rather cheap here. My mother and father, growing up, tho not wealthy, but middle (mother) and upper-middle (father), had at least three servants. They used to be THAT cheap.

Nowadays there are still some households (mostly wealthy ones) were they have 2 or more servants and even have them live there. But most middle class families have cleaning ladies by the day, three, two or once a week. We used to have one two times a week, and we loved her very much, but she emigrated (with her entire family) to the US some years ago. At first we were very sad about it, but with the COVID situation, thank God for that, because a lot of the COVID spreading here has been because of the cleaning staff infecting people.

Rigoberta Menchú is popular with the left leaning people, she is HATED by the right. To me she's pretty neutral, don't have an opinion one way or another.

TBH, if it weren't because I'm gay, I would probably be a local right winger. All of my relations and friends are. It's a class thing.

by Anonymousreply 66September 21, 2021 12:00 AM

What do Guatemalans think about Texas specifically? There are a fuckton of Guatemalans here as well as restaurants and stores that cater to them.

by Anonymousreply 67September 21, 2021 12:07 AM

[quote] Just like they are Americans' poor neighbors, we are Mexico's poor neighbors, and El Salvador is our poor neighbor, Honduras is El Salvador's poor neighbor and Nicaragua is the poorest of them all.

I had no idea that was the pecking order. Most Americans would assume Guatemala was at the bottom given the caravans that cross the border. I always thought Nicaragua was doing well.

by Anonymousreply 68September 21, 2021 12:10 AM

Costa Rica is doing well. Nicaragua has always been a basket case.

by Anonymousreply 69September 21, 2021 12:22 AM

Hey., I spent two months learning Spanish in Xela! Bienvenido, amigo.

My questions: you said your friends and family are right-leaning. What's your view of the civil war? Do you blame one side more than the other? Did you support the trial of Efrain Rios Montt?

Did the number of people you know making illegal attempts to enter the US increase, decrease or stay the same during Trump's time in office?

Why are the evangelical churches doing so well there?

What's your favourite Guatemalan tradition?

by Anonymousreply 70September 21, 2021 12:30 AM

I thought Panama and Costa Rica were the most prosperous Central American countries.

Anyway why did you return to Guatemala from Spain? Doesn't Spain offer at least residency to just about anyone claiming Spanish ancestry?

by Anonymousreply 71September 21, 2021 12:30 AM

OP here. TBH, the American shenanigans were partly to blame for the Civil War, but it was the elite back then who was mostly to blame. Tho the the left side (the guerrilleros) could be assholes too. I hated Efrain Rios Montt, in part because of he was a genocidical maniac, but also because he was an asshole and corrupt too. Fun fact, I studied all my elementary and high school with his grandaughter. The girl could be a cunt if she wanted to, but was mostly a sweetheart.

The emigrations I think stayed the same during Trump's time in office. Our cleaning lady emmigrated on his watch.

My favorite Guatemalan tradition is probably the Fiambre on November 1st thing. Not that I'm really into our traditions, for instance I have never seen a Semana Santa procession live.

Panama and Costa Rica are more prosperous and even El Salvador is more prosperous, but Guatemala is the most populated and Guatemala City is the most important city in Central America.

I didn't stay in Spain because when I finished my Master's degree in 2008, the Economic crisis was hitting hard Spain. There weren't jobs for Spaniards let alone for foreigners.

by Anonymousreply 72September 21, 2021 1:05 AM

Thanks for the reply R72.

What's your impression of the tourists that come to your country?

by Anonymousreply 73September 21, 2021 1:09 AM

Shenanigans, OP? That seems like quite a jovial term for murder. Is any of what R35 linked a surprise to you, or would you say that's common knowledge in Guatemala? Also it seems to be just the tip of the iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 74September 21, 2021 1:13 AM

OP? Thanks for this thread!

I just wondered if you ever had a boyfriend/husband. If not, do you think you ever will?

by Anonymousreply 75September 21, 2021 1:15 AM

[quote] Also it seems to be just the tip of the iceberg.

They don't have icebergs in Guatemala.

by Anonymousreply 76September 21, 2021 1:17 AM

#75. Sadly, no. I was too shy when I lived in Spain. And I don't really like people in my country (I like whites, or blacks or asians, basically everyone else but Latin Americans, fucked up, I know).

I'm not really out to my family, but not in the closet. I mean in all my 38 years I haven't had a girlfriend, it's not really that difficult to put 2 and 2 together. But they don't say anything to me, they wouldn't dare. I'm a very difficult person. I was too spoiled as a child.

I'm very close to my parents tho. Both are great people, just from another generation.

by Anonymousreply 77September 21, 2021 1:26 AM

What do you do in your free time, since you say you barely go out? Have you ever tried to get help for your depression? Do you have any hobbies, aspirations, or goals?

by Anonymousreply 78September 21, 2021 1:36 AM

[quote]Is Ladino cock different from American cock?

Oh, dear.

Ladino is a dialect of Spanish spoken by Sephardic Jews.

by Anonymousreply 79September 21, 2021 1:36 AM

Free time: Datalounge, I LOVE, LOVE history (and not just the popular history kind but scholar type of history; but mostly European history). I do realize I need help with my severe depression (it's genetic, a LOT of members from my family suffer or have suffered from it).

by Anonymousreply 80September 21, 2021 1:39 AM

For instance since the start of the pandemic I've been reading the Cambridge History of China series. (I found the pdf of them online). That's sixteen or so volumes of around 1000 of more pages each.

by Anonymousreply 81September 21, 2021 1:41 AM

Thanks for sharing with us, OP, your story is very interesting. I've had friends from Mexico and Latin America who came from extremely wealthy families. They came to America to escape difficult lives that the wealth did not ease (two had controlling sexist husbands,) and worked hard to achieve a level of comfort here. One became a nurse who was active for social justice. I was very impressed she walked away from wealth to work for others. She was very vocal about it, a very strong woman indeed.

There is too much wealth concentrated in the hands of a few in Mexico, Central America, and South America. It's beginning to happen in the United States, too. People can be selfish and greedy anywhere. I hope things get better for the Guatemalan people and that you stay safe and secure.

by Anonymousreply 82September 21, 2021 1:43 AM

I've read a lot of Chinese history, too, OP. It's really fascinating. I also like fiction that takes place in China, written both by Asian and American authors. I studied Far Eastern Art History in college as part of the curriculum for my art degree. Studying the art history of a place is an interesting way to learn the main history of a country as well.

by Anonymousreply 83September 21, 2021 1:47 AM

OP, do you have any favorite Guatemalan authors to recommend?

by Anonymousreply 84September 21, 2021 1:48 AM

OP, are you on the autism spectrum?

by Anonymousreply 85September 21, 2021 1:52 AM

What is the Guatemalan opinion on Meghan and Prince Harry?

by Anonymousreply 86September 21, 2021 2:01 AM

R86, asking the real questions.

by Anonymousreply 87September 21, 2021 2:06 AM

I don't read Guatemalan authors or history. I really, really don't like my country or Latin America for that matter. Fucked up, I know. I mostly like European history, some US history and lately Chinese and Japanese history (but before the 1900s tho).

Yes, I assume I'm on the autism spectrum. I'm actually very smart (they tested us in College) but have almost zero people skills. It doesn't help that I don't like people. I prefer to be alone.

People here, I think, don't give a shit about Harry and Meghan. The rabble here only likes European soccer, namely the Spanish teams, and Reaggeaton music.

by Anonymousreply 88September 21, 2021 2:20 AM

Is Belize just a non-entity in the Central American hierarchy of nations?

by Anonymousreply 89September 21, 2021 2:21 AM

Now, regarding MY opinion on Harry and Meghan. I don't like them. Meghan is a user and Harry is an imbecile.

by Anonymousreply 90September 21, 2021 2:22 AM

Do you have a big Guatemalan penis?

by Anonymousreply 91September 21, 2021 2:24 AM

The Belize question is complex. Belize used to be part of Guatemala and till very recently, around two or three decades ago, the government claimed it as part of Guatemala. Every government issued map back then had Belize as part of Guatemala. It wasn't till the early 90s (when I was in elementary school) that the governent dropped it but I think they havent completely renounced the claim.

by Anonymousreply 92September 21, 2021 2:24 AM

[quote] Is Belize just a non-entity in the Central American hierarchy of nations?

British Honduras!

by Anonymousreply 93September 21, 2021 2:25 AM

This gay airline points & awards blogger just posted today about possibly visiting Guatemala… wonder if he’s also a DL’er and was inspired by OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 21, 2021 2:28 AM

Do you eat lots of tamales?

by Anonymousreply 95September 21, 2021 4:09 AM

Is it true Guatemalans eat guinea pigs like Americans eat chicken?

by Anonymousreply 96September 21, 2021 4:25 AM

Why is your country such a shithole?

DJT

by Anonymousreply 97September 21, 2021 4:43 AM

Are there tarantulas everywhere? Do you find them in your house?

by Anonymousreply 98September 21, 2021 4:47 AM

R58 The Nazca lines are in Peru...not Guatemala.

by Anonymousreply 99September 21, 2021 6:09 AM

R99 doesn’t read faux naïf posting very well.

by Anonymousreply 100September 21, 2021 6:14 AM

No there aren't taratulas here. I have never seen one in my life.

I don't eat tamales everyday. Every once in a while. They are fattening. During the Holidays, people here do eat tamales. Our (my family) Christmas dinner is pretty much Americanized: turkey or york ham, etc. Most middle class to upper class families nowadays are very Americanized. Some even have Thanksgiving dinner. But my mother does buy tamales, to eat some of the days on the Holidays, from people who specialize in making them.

Guinea pigs? Some people in the hinterland do eat a type of opossum called tacuazín. I've never even seen one. The capital city is pretty urban. We don't have that type of animals here.

by Anonymousreply 101September 21, 2021 6:50 AM

Guinea pigs are commonly eaten in PERU. They're called "cuy."

by Anonymousreply 102September 21, 2021 12:48 PM

Tell us about your condiments, your unmentionables.

by Anonymousreply 103September 21, 2021 2:10 PM

Are Guatemalans considered to be generally rude and entitled or was the one I met an exception?

by Anonymousreply 104September 21, 2021 2:45 PM

Now to the important stuff, what is the circumcision situation like in Guatemala?

by Anonymousreply 105September 21, 2021 3:40 PM

Do the Black Guatemalans have any BLM protests?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 21, 2021 4:50 PM

OP I find it unlikely that people mistook you for a native Spaniard in Spain. Surely you have a Central American accent, or distinctive regional words and phrases you use? Maybe they just thought they were being polite.

I only had a couple years of high school Spanish, so I wouldn't really know. I've just heard about snobs from Spain sneering at Latin American Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 107September 21, 2021 4:55 PM

What about Putumayo?

by Anonymousreply 108September 21, 2021 5:18 PM

Do the Ladinos and the native population mix freely or are they segregated?

by Anonymousreply 109September 21, 2021 5:19 PM

They have amazing Mayan ruins.

by Anonymousreply 110September 21, 2021 5:25 PM

r109 see r79. Ladino is a LANGUAGE

by Anonymousreply 111September 21, 2021 5:41 PM

And Ladino is a ethnic group in Guatemala too Mr Smarty Pants.

by Anonymousreply 112September 21, 2021 5:53 PM

[Quote]Mr Smarty Pants

I haven't heard that said since I was a kid in elementary school in the 1970s!

by Anonymousreply 113September 21, 2021 6:20 PM

And too bad elderly people can't use google.

by Anonymousreply 114September 21, 2021 6:23 PM

#They mistook me before I opened my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 115September 21, 2021 6:27 PM

You sound trite and boring. Pray for no revolution.

by Anonymousreply 116September 21, 2021 6:31 PM

are Ladinos circumcised?

by Anonymousreply 117September 21, 2021 6:35 PM

Can we get back to the foreskin question?

by Anonymousreply 118September 21, 2021 7:34 PM

I never met a circumcised Ladino.

by Anonymousreply 119September 21, 2021 7:37 PM

I saw this piece on the news this evening, OP. I'm so sorry for the poorer citizens of your country, OP. I hope things improve for them soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120September 22, 2021 1:23 AM

Most men I believe are uncut, but some are cut. I'm cut. I think the middle to upper classes are cut. Also those who are Evangelical I think are cut.

To UKGUY, most Guatemalans are not rude or entitled. You must have met a bad apple. We are very polite but reserved.

by Anonymousreply 121September 22, 2021 1:41 AM

I know several Guatemalans. They have become wonderful, loyal friends.

by Anonymousreply 122September 22, 2021 5:09 AM

This might be a dumb question but what is the eco tourism like in your country? I went to Costa Rica years ago and I enjoyed the lush rain forest and exotic animals.

by Anonymousreply 123September 22, 2021 5:19 AM

The problem with Guatemalans, to make a sweeping generalization, is that they don't understand the concept of eco-tourism - or any tourism, for that matter. So much missed opportunity for every type of tourism experience (and therefore, dollar).

by Anonymousreply 124September 22, 2021 6:06 AM

[quote] that they don't understand the concept of eco-tourism - or any tourism, for that matter. So much missed opportunity for every type of tourism experience (and therefore, dollar).

This is very true. Where Mexico's tourist industry is a well-oiled machine, Guatemala's is primitive in comparison. It's almost as if they don't appreciate the embarrassment of riches they have with their Mayan history/ruins, jungle tours, etc.

Tikal, alone, is worth the visit.

by Anonymousreply 125September 22, 2021 6:14 AM

There was a time in the USA in the 80s & 90s when you couldn't swing a dead cat in a college town and hit all sorts of Guatemalan woven clothing and accessories. Now I can't find any. Do you know if production was interrupted, or perhaps where to buy the good stuff?

by Anonymousreply 126September 22, 2021 6:32 AM

One of the reasons, R126, is that nobody's going down there anymore and bringing that shit back. It's just too dangerous to visit now (covid or no-covid).

by Anonymousreply 127September 22, 2021 6:46 AM

R127 Thank you. That sounds terrible/frightening.

by Anonymousreply 128September 22, 2021 6:50 AM

[quote] I'm a little bit classist, I don't participate in the gay life.

I like your honesty, OP.

by Anonymousreply 129September 22, 2021 7:53 AM

[quote]The (only?) Guatemalan DLer: ask me anything.

What exactly happened to the Lindbergh baby?

by Anonymousreply 130September 22, 2021 7:59 AM

# 130. He's safe and sound with the Princes in the Tower.

by Anonymousreply 131September 22, 2021 1:16 PM

Thank you OP.

Any thoughts on Fermat's Theorem? Please show your work.

by Anonymousreply 132September 22, 2021 1:20 PM

¡Happy Hispanic Heritage Month!

by Anonymousreply 133September 22, 2021 4:49 PM

OP here

Other fun facts: The school year here, unlike most of the rest of the World is from mid January to Mid October, with a 1 week break during Easter (Holy Week it's called here) and 2 weeks starting from mid June. The vacations are from mid October to mid January.

And that's because of the weather. We have here only two seasons: wet and dry. Wet is from sometime in May to sometime in October (sometimes is spills over to November), dry from November to April. However, the dry season has two phases, cold and windy from October to February, and hot from late February to May-ish. The wet season has also two phases, the early part is rather hot. The latter part is less hot. However, even during the wet season (unless there is a hurricane or tropical depression) the morings are sunny with rain or showers only starting ever noon.

Bear in mind that cold here around 12C (54 F), it rarely goes under that. In the highlands it rarely gets hotter than 27 C (80 F). Most of the time the weather is a very confortable 18-24 C (64 to 75 F).

As I said above, even tho we´re in the Tropics, what makes the weather here wonderful (as least in the Highlands) is the altitude. Guatemala City is at 1,500 mt (4900 ft) above sea level. There are some places on the Western part of the country (where a vast majority of the population is of Mayan origin) that are way higher (and way colder). I live in a leafy and hilly suburb of Guatemala City located 1800 mt (5900 ft) above sea level. So in the days, before the pandemic, where I went into the city to work, everyday I went down and back up around 300 mt (1,000 ft).

The lowlands are extremely hot and humid.

by Anonymousreply 134September 23, 2021 7:39 PM

* after noon.

by Anonymousreply 135September 23, 2021 7:39 PM

Interesting, OP. Your leafy, hilly suburb sounds nice.

by Anonymousreply 136September 26, 2021 4:09 AM

Was the movie Apocalypto popular over there?

by Anonymousreply 137September 27, 2021 2:50 AM

# 137 Dunno. When that movie came out I was living in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 138September 27, 2021 3:45 AM

Ask, R138.

by Anonymousreply 139September 27, 2021 3:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!