Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Where the fuck the Haitian immigrants came from?

I live in Guatemala and I can't recall them ever passing through here. At least it wasn't on the local news.

by Anonymousreply 59September 29, 2021 6:09 PM

Haiti.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2021 3:23 PM

Haiti is an island. How did they get to the Mexican-Texan border?

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2021 3:28 PM

Port-au-Prinshe.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2021 3:30 PM

the ones interviewed by the news media mostly seem to say they came from Central and South America in buses somebody (no doubt a GOP dirty trickster) paid for. They'd left Haiti years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2021 3:31 PM

Mexico allows them in as long as they agree to keep moving.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2021 3:33 PM

Many of them have settled in Mexico, and other Spanish-speaking countries, too. Perhaps some will also start settling in Guatemala.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2021 3:36 PM

[Quote]and other Spanish-speaking countries, too.

Like Chile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2021 3:39 PM

America will end up like the EU. Paying LOTS of money to Mexico to turn the invaders back at its southern border.

R6 Why are you posting the propaganda mouthpiece of homo-murdering Qatar on a gay board???

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2021 3:39 PM

OP many flew to the border town - from Brazil, Colombia, etc. they didn’t walk across South and Central America.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2021 3:39 PM

Miami Rose, Miami.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2021 3:42 PM

[quote] I live in Guatemala

Really, OP? Are you an American living there?

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2021 3:44 PM

Nope Im a Guatemalan living here. I just REALLY REALLY like American culture, politics, etc. Mostly because our local culture, politics, etc. are a fucking joke. Im probably the only local Guatemalan DLer, lol.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2021 3:49 PM

[quote] I'm probably the only local Guatemalan DLer, lol.

You may be. That's what's interesting. You should start a thread just on this, where we can ask you questions.

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2021 5:14 PM

OP/R12, we are afraid of your Guatemalaness, your natural heat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2021 5:26 PM

Biden is sending Haitians who have lived for a decade in South America back to Haiti which is currently run by armed gangs. Is Trump still president or what?

How come Mayorkas was unaware 20,000 Haitians were heading to Del Rio (pop. 35K)? Do we not have CIA or intelligence sources in Latin America?

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2021 5:47 PM

What happened to the other thread about this? It shows up in a search, but will not load.

Be careful how deep you delve into this topic, I suspect Muriel has a thing for thick, black, voodoo dick.

Or perhaps, hypocritical Liberal immigration policies.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2021 5:50 PM

the increase in right wing and conservative popularity in chile is the fault of the Left, and I am a very progressive liberal pro legal inmigration person but the Left has fueled this increase in right wing politics by bringing inmigrants from totally dissimilar societies and culture. In europe the left is blamed for allowing a huge number of muslims and in chile they are accusing the left of trying to change the demographics of a country that has zero history of african inmigration. it is us, gays, who will be the most affected by this shift toward right wing politics the most. eventually we will see the rise of liberal gay politicians who are fully anti inmigrants and will create a conservative movement within the Left in order to oppose those liberal lefty heterosexuals who want to import homophobes into progressive societies from backward societies.This also explains the popularity of donald trump among many gays.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2021 6:00 PM

I'm sure this is a GOP dirty trick.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2021 6:02 PM

I'm sure r17 is a GOP dirty trick.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2021 7:50 PM

OH PLEASE OP, like we believe you are from Guatemala. You are some sort of Chinese Farm troll Ling-Ling. Divide and conquer the west eh Ling-Ling?

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2021 8:10 PM

OP is the one who started a thread about flying in his prostitute. Whatever happened to that OP? Why did you leave us hanging?

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2021 8:10 PM

OP here. I didn't start no thread about flying a prostitute. And I'm truly Guatemalan.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2021 8:52 PM

Some Haitian was just interviewed on CNN and said - in fluent Spanish - he had just arrived from Haiti and didn't want to go back. Bullshit. He must have been living in Chile for years.

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2021 12:03 AM

Apparently, a lot of the people who were returned to Haiti yesterday fucked around and found out! They had been living in Central and South America for years, but figured after the recent assassination and earthquake they’d get fast-tracked for permanent residency (which happened after the earthquake in 2010).

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2021 12:06 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2021 7:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 22, 2021 7:58 PM

Karl Rove drove them up in a semi.

by Anonymousreply 27September 22, 2021 8:03 PM

Bunch of Haitians in NW Brazil.

by Anonymousreply 28September 22, 2021 8:19 PM

I didn’t know prostitutes could fly, r21!? Jetpaks or wings?

by Anonymousreply 29September 22, 2021 8:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 22, 2021 8:57 PM

In the years following the 2010 earthquake, thousands of Haitians emigrated to Brazil because there were jobs -- and Brazil was happy to have them. As host-country of the 2014 FIFA World Cup & 2016 Summer Olympics, Brazil was in a mad scramble to get facilities built and needed a ton of (unskilled) laborers. (seven new soccer stadiums were built for the 2014 World Cup, alone)

by Anonymousreply 31September 22, 2021 8:58 PM

Don't swear. It comes across as trashy and insincere.

by Anonymousreply 32September 22, 2021 9:49 PM

R32 - Ok nana.

by Anonymousreply 33September 23, 2021 12:06 AM

According to The Learning Channel it's a fact that magnetic fields present in circular formations in stone create a vortex called a stargate from which the inhabitants of Haiti use for travel to the Mexican border with the United States.

by Anonymousreply 34September 23, 2021 3:15 AM

Even if many were living in Central and South America for years, why did they all of a sudden decide to come to Del Rio? It's not like they all knew each other while living in Chile or wherever. If conditions are so bad in Central and South America, why are only Haitians leaving? There's a story here that journalists are not digging into. I have no idea what it is, but there has to be one.

A few years ago during the refugee crisis in Europe, it turned out that Syrians were fleeing Syria because Assad had changed the policy on conscription and lots of men were being forced to serve in the army. It wasn't just that things were bad in Syria. There was an actual policy decision that explained the migration. What the fuck is going on now with the Haitian diaspora?

by Anonymousreply 35September 23, 2021 3:25 AM

I saw a picture of all the many Chilean ID's that the Haitians had thrown away, so they could pretend they were direct from Haiti.

by Anonymousreply 36September 23, 2021 3:26 AM

The Haitian refugees interviewed speak fluent Spanish in addition to Creole. They have more on the ball than the quote patriots unquote who were bused into DC to quote tour the nation's capitol unquuote on January 6. .

by Anonymousreply 37September 23, 2021 3:38 AM

Well, to be fair r37, my dog Carlos has more on the ball than those Jan 6 treasonmuppets and he's been dead and buried for ten years.

by Anonymousreply 38September 23, 2021 3:42 AM

I think an exchange with Haiti should be offered, one patriot for a refugee.

by Anonymousreply 39September 23, 2021 3:43 AM

[quote]The Haitian refugees interviewed speak fluent Spanish in addition to Creole. They have more on the ball than the quote patriots unquote who were bused into DC to quote tour the nation's capitol unquuote on January 6.

Well then, by all means, let's fast track them for citizenship. What a stupid comment.

by Anonymousreply 40September 23, 2021 4:34 AM

[quote] my dog Carlos

R38, your there dog has a name like a Mexican. I ‘spect he’s an illegal dog. That there border collie patrol should send your mutt dog to where it dun come from.

by Anonymousreply 41September 23, 2021 5:48 AM

Hey! Carlos was an 'Murican dog from 'Murica! He was also a German Shepherd who could eat a Border Collie for lunch (if he could catch him).

by Anonymousreply 42September 23, 2021 6:03 AM

R35 Many people immigrate to countries that are easier to immigrate to and become citizens - like Chile (five years of residency required), Brazil (four years of residency required), and Argentina (two years of residency required). Once you obtain citizenship, it's then easier to immigrate to the U.S.

A Chilean passport is especially attractive because it allows you to travel to the U.S. without a visa. So immigrants to Chile, who become Chileans after five years, then come to the United States as tourists and stay indefinitely. That's the scoop, Toots.

Please understand that many people immigrate to South American countries and stay. Lots of Venezuelan and Haitian immigrants are successful in Chile and intergrating very well.

by Anonymousreply 43September 23, 2021 8:32 AM

What's particularly fucked up is the fact Haiti should be France's burden, yet it has become the US's. They're the ones who fucked up Haiti beyond repair. Or is this like a refugee exchange program: They get the refugees from crises caused by the US, the US gets refugees from crises caused by France?

by Anonymousreply 44September 23, 2021 9:43 AM

Ok, I have answered my own question about why Haitians specifically are coming in large numbers NOW. Apparently in May the Biden administration issued a new rule allowing Haitians in the US to apply for temporary protected status if they were in the US prior to July 29. Word then spread through the Haitian diaspora that the US was accepting Haitian immigrants.

I am not criticizing Biden or blaming him at all, but I think it's really important to pinpoint what causes surges of migration. It humanizes the situation in a way that showing the squalor under that bridge does not.

As for why they are congregating in Del Rio, I assume it's because the cartel that is arranging their passage through Mexico ushers them to that crossing.

I can't link to the Miami Herald for some reason, but this is what they said:

[quote] Mayorkas reminded Haitians that only individuals living in the United States prior to July 29 are eligible for TPS. The humanitarian relief allows undocumented migrants to temporarily live and work in the U.S. Haiti was given a new TPS designation in May, and following the July 7 assassination of the country’s president, Jovenel Moïse, the eligibility date was pushed to late July.

by Anonymousreply 45September 23, 2021 12:23 PM

They sound like such lovely people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 23, 2021 1:36 PM

They've got box cutters!

by Anonymousreply 47September 23, 2021 1:49 PM

[quote]Biden is sending Haitians who have lived for a decade in South America back to Haiti which is currently run by armed gangs.

You know what? We can't save the whole fucking world.

by Anonymousreply 48September 23, 2021 2:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 23, 2021 4:01 PM

Anchor babies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 23, 2021 4:02 PM

I'm technically of the mind the US has zero obligation to accomodate people who try to illegally enter the country while making a mockery of laws meant to protect refugees.

However, the US currently has approximately 10M unfilled jobs. And even though immigrants often help employers avoid raising wages, there's still a great need for unskilled laborers. I've known several Haitians and they were all similar: nice and smart, but also quite lazy. Also, even though they come from a violent, crime-ridden country, Hatians are among the better behaved immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 51September 23, 2021 4:18 PM

I guess no one wants to blame George Soros when there's a Democrat in the WH. huh?

by Anonymousreply 52September 23, 2021 7:14 PM

Blame him for what? For providing aid to an impoverished Haiti?

by Anonymousreply 53September 23, 2021 7:57 PM

with a birth rate need zero, we need lots of immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 54September 23, 2021 7:57 PM

No we don't r54. The US doesn't need a huge increase in population, esp. with automation taking over many jobs.

by Anonymousreply 55September 23, 2021 8:52 PM

I was using a GQP talking point, r53. When TFG was in office they said it was Soros trying to make him look bad...well, worse. I don't see Dems jumping to a conspiracy theory to blame the Haitian influx on the mystical Mr. Soros. We know the influx is due to climate change and political upheaval not Satan.

by Anonymousreply 56September 23, 2021 9:40 PM

So, interesting. There's speculation that Jason Miller funded the Haitians making it to the border. Everything they say the Dems are doing is what they do themselves.

by Anonymousreply 57September 24, 2021 2:53 PM

There was just a report on MSNBC. Biden's sent back 5,000 Haitian migrants to Haiti - a country the vast majority of them haven't lived in in a decade. This is apparently a punitive gesture aimed at discouraging the 30,000 Haitians waiting in Colombia from trying to get to the US border.

Folks, this was a massive GOP dirty trick to embarrass Biden, orchestrated by Jason Miller and funded by the Texas GOP: Abbott's in desperate trouble. All his incompetence and corruption have come to light and he's fucked. He needed to change the subject from all the scandals in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 58September 29, 2021 5:47 PM

[quote] No we don't [R54]. The US doesn't need a huge increase in population, esp. with automation taking over many jobs.

Considering the 11 million undocumented already here is only about 3% of the population, the numbers coming now is nowhere near a "huge increase."

The jobs that these people do like child care, lawn care, picking fruits and veggies, working in meat plants, house care, restaurants, etc., haven't been that affected by automation at all. It's not like I'm hiring a robot to clean my house or mow my lawn.

by Anonymousreply 59September 29, 2021 6:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!