Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

#EmmysSoWhite? The 2021 Emmys failed to award any actors of color

Every major publication is outraged this morning.

[quote] Commercial after commercial, award after award, speech after speech, audiences and attendees alike waited for a person of color to win an acting trophy that never came.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 3, 2021 2:27 AM

They saw what happened to the Oscars' ratings when they went down that route.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2021 1:16 PM

Its alright they'll be distracted by the "Emmy viewership lowest ever (again)" headline soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2021 1:16 PM

Yaskween

EmmysTooBlack

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2021 1:19 PM

MJ Rodriguez did not do Emmy worthy work and actors shouldn’t be awarded just because they, sadly, passed away. Maybe there should be a Black Emmys and everyone gets a participation trophy.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2021 1:19 PM

So what? Many were nominated. You can't legislate the final award, people will vote for what they feel is genuinely best. The minute it all becomes a quota to fill, it ceases to be a real award.

There were some history making moments. Michaela Coel's richly deserved best writing award for a limited series was a first for a black female, and a true high point on the show. Just a few years ago her excellent show might not have received any Emmy love, but a higher spotlight on female POC in recent years enabled it to shine.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2021 1:21 PM

At this point all awards ceremonies are expected to get horrible ratings. I'm sure the Emmys will be a new low for them. EmmysSoWhite needs to clarify exactly which POC of color was robbed. Hashtag really should be EmmysSoBritish.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2021 1:22 PM

r6 has a point. The huge love for The Crown and Kate Winslet kind of carried the night. There is no whiter show on television than The Crown.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2021 1:25 PM

It's difficult for me to get outraged over awards shows. They've always been popularity contests and the new quotas will just make them even more pointless.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2021 1:26 PM

You couldn’t have asked for a more diverse group of nominees. If everyone decided to vote for The Crown because it was the best (and it was), then don’t cry racism in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2021 1:32 PM

Michael K Williams should have won. Menzies was so forgettable I barely even remember him.

Josh O'Connor did not do much either.

Other than those, I don't see the outrage.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2021 1:34 PM

Awards shows are marketing tools. I get why these people are pissed off. Not winning an award gives them less leverage when negotiating new deals.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2021 1:37 PM

I didn't think Olivia Coleman did much with the role for which she won the Emmy. She pretty much played the Queen as morose and detached in every scene.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2021 1:39 PM

Performative penance was already rendered. Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2021 1:40 PM

This destroyed my predictions on GoldDerby. I went against the grain because I thought they wouldn’t be this obvious.

At least I May Destroy You won something.

It’s a real shame Lovecraft Country didn’t win a thing.

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2021 1:42 PM

USA Today blasts Cedric

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2021 2:00 PM

Is anyone actually watching this garbage?

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2021 2:02 PM

R14

Michael K. Williams should have won.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2021 2:03 PM

Emmys & other entertainment who do their homework are becoming aware that the tide has turned. Woke/BLM/Trans fatigue. When you incessantly harangue, vilify, insult & threaten people they turn away bored & pissed off & usually don't come back. They may not publicly, out loud say how they feel, but they back away from the noisy, disruptive, uninteresting professional victims.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2021 2:09 PM

How much longer is this narrative going to dominate the cultural landscape? So over it.

Whenever I stream live channels, the commercials have maybe 15-20% white people tops. Some commercials have no white people. The US is more than 70% white, so what's the deal with that?

See, I can whine about silly-ass problems, too.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2021 2:11 PM

R24 Why should he have won cause he has 2 of the Trifecta.?Dead & POC?

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2021 2:19 PM

I didn’t know that the Emmy’s were presented last night until I started receiving notifications on my phone. Even then, I didn’t know where to tune in to watch.

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2021 2:21 PM

Kate W seriously fat in the face the poor thing. And was she joking that she gets to be with her third husband for the rest of her life? After she calls out the children she’s had by three different men?

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2021 2:21 PM

Did MARE OF EASTTOWN only win acting Emmys for Winslet, Nicholson and Peters? Am I correct that it won no awards for writing and directing no Best Series (of whatever category bit was eligible)? I realized by the end of the broadcast that we never saw or heard from the MARE creators. The series deserved more than the acting nods.

Sorry, I know this isn't exactly apropos to the thread title.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2021 2:21 PM

This is what they’re rewarding. It’s not about white or black to me, it’s just the laughable hypocrisy and blatant bias in what they choose to worship. Also, how many boring period pieces do we need (especially on the British royals). Where is the creativity?

———————————————

Female Soviet chess legend Nona Gaprindashvili is suing Netflix for $5 million after a scene in the hit show Queen’s Gambit falsely claimed she had never played against men. In fact, she claims to have played and beaten dozens of men. In the suit, Gaprindashvili called the incorrect dialogue “grossly sexist”.

The lawsuit continues, harshly criticizing Netflix for its choice to change history and claiming the company had “brazenly and deliberately lied” about her achievements “For the cheap and cynical purpose of ‘heightening the drama’ by making it appear that its fictional hero had managed to do what no other woman, including Gaprindashvili, had done.”

Netflix said in a statement to the LA Times that the streamer had the “utmost respect” for the legendary chess player, but believes the lawsuit “has no merit” and “will vigorously defend the case.”

In an interview with the New York Times, Gaprindashvili found the whole situation ironic. “[Netflix] was trying to do this fictional character who was blazing the trail for other women, when in reality I had already blazed the trail and inspired generations.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2021 2:22 PM

The majority of the country is white and I would think the majority of Hollywood actors are white. They won’t be happy until everyone wins a participation trophy. Hollywood created this monster by catering to these woke morons.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2021 2:25 PM

R20

Because he was the best nominated in his role, and his character was out of the ordinary. Sorry, but the winner was boring and typical.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2021 2:27 PM

Go Nona, Go Nona!!

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2021 2:27 PM

Can Brett Goldstein be counted an actor of colour if you pronounce his name Gold-schteeeeeen and observe that many of his ancestors and relatives were murdered by white supremacists?

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2021 2:32 PM

R25

“The majority of the country…”

But you’re talking about America.

Most of the winners are British.

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2021 2:33 PM

[quote] Commercial after commercial, award after award, speech after speech, audiences and attendees alike waited for a person of color to win an acting trophy that never came.

I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2021 2:37 PM

I think these show creators/networks purposely center their shows/movies around the British to get awards. They know these award shows eat the British up.

It makes no sense how so many winners in these award shows are British.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2021 2:43 PM

Interesting to see the ratings for this.

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2021 2:46 PM

Did any actors who weren't straight win? #EmmysSoStraight

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2021 3:05 PM

R33

I agree. Michael K. Williams was incredible in his gay role and should’ve won.

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2021 3:06 PM

The speech from that Queen's Gambit's director was one of the worst speeches in my memory. No wonder nobody wants to watch these shows anymore.

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2021 3:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2021 3:18 PM

7 out of 12 winners are British (and white). And that's not even counting Gillian Anderson who now lives in the UK.

Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2021 3:26 PM

[quote] The minute it all becomes a quota to fill, it ceases to be a real award.

That ship has already sailed.

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2021 3:29 PM

The fans of WandaVision, Michael K. Williams, The Mandalorian, and The Boys are PISSED.

No wonder people don’t want to watch. The voters for these awards are so out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2021 3:40 PM

You can't tell people who to vote for.........

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2021 4:11 PM

I don't care about the race of the actor. I think they should give awards to whoever had the best performance. If that performer is a white person, give them the award. If that performer is black, Hispanic, Arabic, Chinese, or Japanese, give them the award. These awards should be given to whoever did the best job and nothing else. I wouldn't want an award just for what color my skin is or where my parents are from. I would want it because I deserved it and earned it.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2021 4:13 PM

Omg Kate Winslett in “Mare Of Easttown” is EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2021 4:27 PM

I can see Olivia and Emma (?) deserving theirs for their work in the Crown. But Tobias and Josh? Seriously? I can see the series for writing awards too. But that’s it.

Yes, so I agree there is some truth to #emmysowhite. The acting sweep for the Crown had as much to do with the glamour and allute of the British Royal family.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2021 5:42 PM

R39 Not really. The Crown, Mare, Hacks, Ted Lasso are all popular shows. It's not like the Oscars when people never heard of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2021 5:49 PM

Just to be clear, the acting in Pose was NO better than an after school special.

If you untethered the trans aspect from storylines it would be a completely rudderless production that would’ve never seen the light of day. The last season went off the rails and should’ve been titled, “Aspirational Mobsters”.

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2021 5:51 PM

UGH BUT WE GAVE THOSE COLOREDS - I MEAN BIPOCS - A LOT OF AWARDS OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS. Isn't that enough?! They should be grateful! You got your quota! Stfu!

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2021 5:52 PM

Maybe this will encourage the halfrican and her dimitted royal husband to get going with their projects.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2021 5:54 PM

[quote] Did MARE OF EASTTOWN only win acting Emmys for Winslet, Nicholson and Peters? Am I correct that it won no awards for writing and directing no Best Series (of whatever category bit was eligible)? I realized by the end of the broadcast that we never saw or heard from the MARE creators. The series deserved more than the acting nods.

I think the voters got it right there. MARE OF EASTTOWN was remarkable for the performances, but at some level it was just a very well-done crime drama. THE QUEEN'S GAMBIT had fine performances, but not at the level of MARE; yet TQG was truly remarkable in concept and style, and had some of the most beautiful direction I've seen in years on television (the scene set at the Mexico City hotel's swimming pool at night in the pouring rain was absolutely breathtaking).

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2021 6:03 PM

The black academy members loaded up the nominees with minorities, but then it backfired when the vote was split among them and the white nominees were able to come out ahead.

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2021 6:08 PM

[quote] Can Brett Goldstein be counted an actor of colour if you pronounce his name Gold-schteeeeeen and observe that many of his ancestors and relatives were murdered by white supremacists?

You’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2021 6:08 PM

I, too, didn’t even know the Emmys were last night until the last minute.

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2021 6:09 PM

[quote] The Crown, Mare, Hacks, Ted Lasso are all popular shows

Popular among Emmy voters. Normal people were watching shows like WandaVision and The Mandalorian.

by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2021 6:10 PM

R41 and R25….Exactly. Enough of the participation trophies.

by Anonymousreply 53September 20, 2021 6:11 PM

Go woke, go broke.

by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2021 6:14 PM

R53

But r25 was wrong. British people are the VAST minority in “this country” (America) but they’re greatly overrepresented.

And I’m really only upset about Michael K. Willams because he truly did give the best performance, but the biased voters just wouldn’t give it to him.

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2021 6:18 PM

Did Evan show his delightful ass in Mare of Easttown? Should I bother watching it?

I like Tobias Menzies. He should’ve gotten an Emmy Nomination for season 1 of Outlander or a great little miniseries from a few years ago called The Terror. (Jared Harris should’ve won an Emmy for that. Anyone watch the show?). I haven’t seen any of The Crown, but from what I’m reading, he should not have won for that and Michael K. Williams should have.

Was MKW’s performance that great, or are people saying he should have gotten the Emmy because he’s black and/or he died? Honest question. I haven’t seen his show either.

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2021 6:18 PM

Glad for big Olivia winning. She did well as The Queen

by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2021 6:20 PM

r56 "because he’s black and/or he died" that's why. No one was talking about that role until he died.

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2021 6:24 PM

It's my understanding that Rita Wilson rapped at some point during the proceedings.

There's your #sowhite problem.

Where's that American violent streak when you need it?

by Anonymousreply 59September 20, 2021 6:27 PM

[quote] Popular among Emmy voters. Normal people were watching shows like WandaVision and The Mandalorian.

Honey, you seem to have mixed up the Emmys with the People's Choice Awards.

by Anonymousreply 60September 20, 2021 6:31 PM

MKW was excellent in Lovecraft Country, while Menzies was good but not remarkable. It was like the voters decided on a few shows and just checked the boxes next to the nominees to vote, with a few exceptions.

The only deserved acting awards for The Crown IMO were Gillian Anderson and perhaps Josh O'Connor.

I also thought the guy from I May Destroy You who played the gay friend was far better than Evan Peters in Mare of Easttown.

by Anonymousreply 61September 20, 2021 6:31 PM

Isn't Rita Wilson meant to be a mean bitch?

by Anonymousreply 62September 20, 2021 6:32 PM

[quote] I haven’t seen any of The Crown, but from what I’m reading, he should not have won for that and Michael K. Williams should have.

If you have not actually seen it, how can you be in any position to judge it? Your opinion here is useless--it is based on nothing.

by Anonymousreply 63September 20, 2021 6:32 PM

Porter didn't deserve the first one. So he should be grateful he was even nominated this time around.

by Anonymousreply 64September 20, 2021 6:38 PM

[quote]It's my understanding that Rita Wilson rapped at some point during the proceedings. There's your #sowhite problem.

I loved it because it was meta because before he started acting, her son Chet was a "rapper".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 20, 2021 6:40 PM

[quote] Honey, you seem to have mixed up the Emmys with the People's Choice Awards.

It’s only recently that the Emmys have shunned shows that normal people watch. Lots of classic shows that won boatloads of Emmys would get nothing now.

by Anonymousreply 66September 20, 2021 7:02 PM

[quote]Josh O'Connor did not do much either.

Half of his acting consisted of pinching his lips and assuming a weird posture that Charles never had.

Matthew Rhys should've won.

by Anonymousreply 67September 20, 2021 7:14 PM

r42 [quote] Winslett

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 68September 20, 2021 7:19 PM

I'm so confused by this idea of "normal people" all watching WandaVision and The Mandalorian.

Apparently, "normal people" is being equated here with Disney Plus nerds.

That is not how I necessarily think of normal people.

by Anonymousreply 69September 20, 2021 7:20 PM

Josh O'Connor was brilliant as Prince Charles in The Crown and absolutely deserved his win.

by Anonymousreply 70September 20, 2021 7:24 PM

Since it was decided these are supposed to be Affirmative Action Awards... it should be expected that 13.4% of the awards will be given to African Americans.

by Anonymousreply 71September 20, 2021 7:48 PM

I'm a TV writer. I've been saying this for the past two years. Having a black show on the air, just to have one on the air, won't make that show a good show. What will? Having talented writers create and execute the show, regardless of their color.

What I feel needs to be done is to cultivate black (or brown) show creators so that they actually come up with and then deliver great shows. That tends to only happens after years and years of practice, a few failures, missteps, etc. I think this is exactly what will happen over the next decades. And I'm excited for it! But we're not there yet.

Take Pose. It was laughably bad after the first season (and wasn't really great even then). Sure, it got nominated for everything, but it's so far and away inferior to what it was up against, it never stood a chance in terms of winning. However, if the show was led by someone who knew what they were doing? It could have been amazing. I know Billy Porter is reviled here, but he's actually a great actor. But he was given shit to work with.

I don't think anyone in the Academy really, honestly thinks the best shows didn't win. Because they did. The Crown, Queens Gambit, and Mare of Easttown were the best dramatic shows of last year. Because the best writers were on those shows. It's really that simple.

by Anonymousreply 72September 20, 2021 7:53 PM

People aren't entitled to awards via a percentage based on ethnicity or race. It's not something you can plan on. In any rational universe, the odds are that sometimes the winners won't reflect sociopolitical objectives.

As it is, the politicization of awards shows with winners haranguing the audience who are just there to be entertained is killing off the genre.

It's getting more joyless by the year, which is what a Stalinist approach to art does, every time.

The Emmys did a bit better this year, but given how low the bar sank last year, it's not saying much.

They're killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

by Anonymousreply 73September 20, 2021 8:07 PM

Trans has killed their goose. Pose fell with a thud. They'll keep banging & people will keep quietly tuning out. People vote with their remote control.

by Anonymousreply 74September 20, 2021 8:14 PM

[quote] Apparently, "normal people" is being equated here with Disney Plus nerds.

The two shows mentioned were examples of shows that normal people watch that also happened to be nominated this year. Which streaming service or channel they are on isn’t relevant.

by Anonymousreply 75September 20, 2021 8:15 PM

I think Menzies is gay. He's in his late 40s, never been married, and there is no mention of relationships of any sort.

Usually that indicates an actor very much on the down low about not being hetero.

by Anonymousreply 76September 20, 2021 8:18 PM

^Apparently, Menzies refuses to discuss his personal life at all after he began dating Kristin Scott-Thomas aboit 15 years ago and the press intrusion made them miserable.

That was quite some time ago, of course.

by Anonymousreply 77September 20, 2021 8:23 PM

I was just going to say, Menzies was in a long-term relationship with Kristin Scott Thomas back in the aughts, so I don’t think he’s gay.

That being said, I’m a gold-star Kinsey 6 and I’d probably leave my husband for Kristin Scott Thomas.

by Anonymousreply 78September 20, 2021 8:25 PM

Why? there weren't any black actors who gave better performances than the ones who won.

by Anonymousreply 79September 20, 2021 8:28 PM

#carlosinsfsobored. I am a "person of color", and if media wanted to represent me, they'd have a character who assimilated, without guilt.

by Anonymousreply 80September 20, 2021 8:32 PM

Brit actors win because Brit actors are trained and are better than dumb American actors who were told in high school they were attractive, so they headed to Hollywood because they were too dumb to do anything else.

by Anonymousreply 81September 20, 2021 8:36 PM

Billy Porter is just pissed because he had picked out a nice spot for a new Emmy and now it'll just go to waste.

by Anonymousreply 82September 20, 2021 8:46 PM

R81 makes a good point in that most established British actors are actually members of the upper class who went to fine schools the likes of which most can't afford to attend.

by Anonymousreply 83September 20, 2021 8:47 PM

[quote]Take Pose. It was laughably bad after the first season (and wasn't really great even then). Sure, it got nominated for everything, but it's so far and away inferior to what it was up against, it never stood a chance in terms of winning. However, if the show was led by someone who knew what they were doing? It could have been amazing. I know Billy Porter is reviled here, but he's actually a great actor. But he was given shit to work with.

Ryan Murphy doesn't know what he's doing? Or are you really saying he just didn't care?

by Anonymousreply 84September 20, 2021 9:16 PM

R84 not that poster but Murphy is a great idea man, but his execution is shit. He should create pilots and walk away.

by Anonymousreply 85September 20, 2021 9:22 PM

[quote]The 2021 Emmys failed to award any actors of color

The Emmys didn't give any awards to actors of color but the *Creative Arts* Emmys did. KeKe Palmer and J.B. Smoove both won for Quibi shows, Maya Rudolph and Dave Chappelle both won for Guest Actors (Comedy Series) on SNL and Courtney B. Vance won for Guest Actor in Drama Series for LOVECRAFT COUNTRY.

by Anonymousreply 86September 20, 2021 9:35 PM

[quote] I know Billy Porter is reviled here, but he's actually a great actor.

R73, I have seen Porter in a handful of POSE episodes - which was more than enough - as well as in Kinky Boots. I don’t find him to be a good, let alone great. Where have you seen him be great. Serious question.

by Anonymousreply 87September 20, 2021 9:39 PM

R18 "Woke/BLM/Trans fatigue."

Omg, I know, like, at first, I was all like, 'Oh man, yeah, okay, the disproportionate extrajudicial killings of black people by police *are* bad! But then I just got tired of the complaining about it!' /sarcasm

It's adorable how you troglodytes complain about the 'tone' and 'delivery' of progressive social movements as if that's the real bone that you have to pick. Babycakes, we know very well that you hate the *content* of the message--that people different than you deserve respect.

Without even opening this thread about actors of color, I knew already that you, specifically, would be up in here inserting bashing transgender people into it. You know you can stick to just racism alone for one thread right? We won't report you to Marjorie Taylor Green for insufficient bigotry-multi-tasking, lol

by Anonymousreply 88September 20, 2021 9:45 PM

In true DL fashion, DLers have no problem with the Brits winning everything because they went to posh schools, and have a problem with the coloreds getting uppity and complaining about it.

by Anonymousreply 89September 20, 2021 9:53 PM

No, I just don't think anyone deserves to win because they have to meet a quota for 'diversity' sake. They Brits acted better so they win this year. At least blacks got nominations. If anything, they ARE the over-represented demographic in Hollywood. If you want all-black winners, go watch the BET Awards.

by Anonymousreply 90September 20, 2021 10:05 PM

I grew up with the idea Republicans were rich white people. I think for the most part.

There’s a song I listen to called “The Seduction of Kansas” by Priest based on a book and the book is about the transition during the Bush era of country bumpkins turning Republican.

by Anonymousreply 91September 20, 2021 10:08 PM

R90 And Brits are not over-represented at all...right?

by Anonymousreply 92September 20, 2021 10:09 PM

[quote]I'm a TV writer. I've been saying this for the past two years. Having a black show on the air, just to have one on the air, won't make that show a good show. What will? Having talented writers create and execute the show, regardless of their color.

R72, not that long ago a 'black show' that's arguably the best TV drama ever, The Wire, didn't win a single Emmy. Wiki tells me that they didn't even receive any major nominations, except for two writing nominations. I suspect we still have lingering attitudes among Emmy voters such as:

[quote]According to a report by Variety, anonymous Emmy voters cited reasons such as the series' dense and multilayered plot, the grim subject matter, and (!!!) lack of connection with California.

I agree the more nonwhite talent and crew are cultivated, including showrunners, the better the chances, and that this year's nominees weren't shoe-ins. But we don't necessarily have to have a 'black show' to have more deserving nonwhite people nominated and winning.

by Anonymousreply 93September 20, 2021 11:57 PM

R92 Brits are over-represented because they know how to act. They go to acting school, they work in repertory theatre while American actors do jack shit and think they're pretty enough to get work.

by Anonymousreply 94September 20, 2021 11:57 PM

What is the solution? If the major award shows MUST award blacks, then the voting as to be rigged. Is that what they want? If I produced the Emmys I would consider rigging it. Because who needs this shit? If I saw all the winners were WHITE I would select 20% blacks among the nominated actors and give them the fucking award. Everyone is happy and the TV industry keeps making money.

by Anonymousreply 95September 21, 2021 12:06 AM

Its what the Ivy League does. Asians get it in the ass. Without quotas, the campuses would be majority asian. So they jerry rig it and people are somewhat satisfied they win the prize of Ivy.

I guess we have to do it at the Olympics too. Can't let the runners be all black. Give some awards to the Asians and Whites. Don't forget the Zoroastrians!

by Anonymousreply 96September 21, 2021 12:10 AM

R96

Fascinating, do you by any chance have some thoughts about replacement theory and miscegenation? I'm sure you do...

But I don't want to get in the way of your busy schedule. I'm sure you have a cross-burning to attend or some white hoods in need of ironing.

by Anonymousreply 97September 21, 2021 12:26 AM

R 95. Nothing will ever be good enough. Baby's throwing their toys out of the pram. Woke is killing the movie industry. Now they are trying their moves on TV. Streaming rising because they ignore Wokeies. When something doesn't make money they stop doing it. All Woke shit is dying on the vine. Nobody sticks with their crap cause its BORING, not funny, lame, or tedious posturing from prats. Streaming sites get lots of hits on old series, films while the reboots they try that are more, 'diverse' shit the bed.

by Anonymousreply 98September 21, 2021 12:26 AM

Woke is killing the movie industry??? A movie industry that's all day, every day, Marvel Comics characters??? That industry??? There's no woke whatsoever in the movie industry, except on Oscar night. And no one watches the Oscars because of people like you, r98, who don't care about diversity, even though people like me never go to movies anymore because the average movie IQ is 12.

by Anonymousreply 99September 21, 2021 12:30 AM

Can you image going through life with the name, O-T Fagbenie? It must require a certain kind of fortitude. I don't know if the actor is gay, but he was in the HBO series Looking. And is hot.

by Anonymousreply 100September 21, 2021 4:51 AM

Tobias dedicates his award to Michael K. Williams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 21, 2021 4:56 AM

R93, The Wire may have a lot black characters, but the creator of the series was a white guy.

Just an FYI...

by Anonymousreply 102September 21, 2021 6:14 AM

Theys shoulda have at least one token black girl win like Halle Berry. Shizzle mah wizzle.

by Anonymousreply 103September 21, 2021 6:15 AM

Last year 4 of the 12 winners were black. More than the percentage in the population.

by Anonymousreply 104September 21, 2021 6:24 AM

The writer of the USA Today article's bio:

David Oliver is an entertainment reporter at USA TODAY covering diversity and inclusion. He has a master's degree in nonfiction writing from Johns Hopkins University and a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Maryland.

AND HE'S WHITE!!!!

by Anonymousreply 105September 21, 2021 6:27 AM

R105 of course he's white! You think regular everyday black and brown people give a shit about this nonsense? This is the playground of white liberals with white savior complex (a tale as old as time and here we are again) along with middle/upperclass black folk who are functionally equivalent to white people and have more in common with you average white liberal than they do with normal black OR white people.

Invariably the most vociferous "diversity advocates" posting here are rich white people. Spoiler alert white folks: this is NOT what the black community means by "equal treatment," this is bougie nonsense that black people don't care about.

by Anonymousreply 106September 21, 2021 7:25 AM

Sour grapes.

by Anonymousreply 107September 21, 2021 7:27 AM

[quote] this is NOT what the black community means by "equal treatment,"

It is what a segment of the entertainment industry means - the black members who came together to boycott the Academy Awards were specific, it was about black performers not being nominated. It wasn't about content, or roles, or representation, it was about recognition.

by Anonymousreply 108September 21, 2021 7:45 AM

R106

A fucking conservative is here claiming to understand the hearts and minds of black people.

Assuming you're black, you are on some Candace Owens shit.

There are threads over at Lipstick Alley about the Emmy awards right now, why don't you go over there and tell them what matters to black people? I'm sure they would LOVE to hear your thoughts over there and give you a WARM reception! Lmao

by Anonymousreply 109September 21, 2021 8:10 AM

What if the nominees of color did not deliver a performance as good as their white counterpart?

by Anonymousreply 110September 21, 2021 8:13 AM

You Americans are so biring with this racial obssesion. You can't undo the past nor help the people in ghettos by giving all the prizes to Will Smith.

by Anonymousreply 111September 21, 2021 8:33 AM

I’m happy as long as no one from Pose won! Thank you academy!!!

by Anonymousreply 112September 21, 2021 8:38 AM

R108 that "certain segment" had no institutional power themselves, except they do via the signal boosting of white editors running story after story and white executives publically professing apology for literally imagined grievance.

by Anonymousreply 113September 21, 2021 9:33 AM

Seems like blackface would be a viable option to even the playing field.

by Anonymousreply 114September 21, 2021 10:03 AM

"There is no whiter show on television than The Crown."

Erm... Because to satisfy some people The Crown serie would rewrite the British Royal family as Black British family????

Seriously do people think about what they write? The royal family is not going to suddenly turn black because some poc feel excluded. At some point this madness has to stop. It's pure blackmail and in my opinion visceral jealousy.

Black celebrities can also take their responsibilities to write their own stories since nothing is never good enough for them. Besides, there are many excellent black directors and nobody cries when there are no white people in their movies

by Anonymousreply 115September 21, 2021 10:41 AM

This was for R7

by Anonymousreply 116September 21, 2021 10:42 AM

Thanks goodness!!! Most winners are those lovely British actors!!!

by Anonymousreply 117September 21, 2021 11:25 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118September 21, 2021 11:26 AM

Agreed r100. I read he is to play Obama in an upcoming miniseries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 21, 2021 3:59 PM

[quote]The Wire may have a lot black characters, but the creator of the series was a white guy.

Is that the definition? Then Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, Bridgerton are the blackest shows to ever black.

by Anonymousreply 120September 21, 2021 4:42 PM

[quote] Anne Boleyn viewers were left 'unimpressed' and 'bored' on Tuesday night as they pointed out 'historical inaccuracies' during the first episode.

I can think of one big historical inaccuracy.

by Anonymousreply 121September 21, 2021 5:14 PM

Did Kate Winslet get her tits out in Mare Of Eastown?

by Anonymousreply 122September 21, 2021 5:18 PM

Will there be a Jeffersons reboot?

by Anonymousreply 123September 21, 2021 5:28 PM

[quote]#EmmysSoWhite? The 2021 Emmys failed to award any actors of color

And I suppose an all-actor-of-color sweep would have been proof of worth and competitive edge?

Enough of the race shit. Sometimes you DON'T win. And decisions are made by category, and you KNOW if the voters could convince themselves someone of color did the best people would have broken their backs bending over for it.

by Anonymousreply 124September 21, 2021 5:32 PM

It's not the definition, R120. I was responding to what somebody else had written.

I think calling shows "white" or "black" is stupid and reductive. It often creates an Other when there need not be.

The Wire is one of the best shows ever aired. And it was created by a white guy, starring mostly black actors. Grey's Anatomy is one of the most successful shows ever. And it was created by a black woman and starred a rainbow coalition of actors.

I think this proves that viewers ultimately don't give a shit about the racial makeup of shows.

They care for quality entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 125September 21, 2021 5:50 PM

The fact that the author "covers diversity and exclusion" means he's going to claim anything is racist or excluding races in order to justify his existence on that beat.

by Anonymousreply 126September 21, 2021 8:10 PM

Did Winslet have the old baps old as Mare or not?

by Anonymousreply 127September 21, 2021 8:15 PM

[quote]Black celebrities can also take their responsibilities to write their own stories since nothing is never good enough for them.

It's interesting that people seem to think that black artists creating their own work is the answer to the problem but I don't think it's quite that simple. Issa Rae is one of the most talented young writers and creators of her own content to come along in the last few years and her series, "Insecure," has been lauded by critics as a smart and timely sitcom. (It's also on HBO, a usual magnet for awards.) But look at the show's Emmy track record: in 5 years it has received 11 nominations, including a few in major categories (Outstanding Comedy Series, Lead Actress, and Supporting Actress) but has only won one (for Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series). That's nice but compare it to the Emmys won by Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who created and starred in "Fleabag," as well as the multiple wins for "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel," another show about a young white woman that the Emmy voters just ate up with a spoon. Does this mean Rae and "Insecure" were entitled to win also? Of course not. I'm just pointing out examples for people like R115 who make it sound as if all black people have to do is create their own content and they will get Emmys, too. Sorry but it's just not that simple, though making such a dismissive statement is easier than acknowledging the reality, which is that the work of non-white artists is too often given less value than that of their white counterparts. Talented young white woman writes a show and is showered with Emmys. Talented young black woman does the same and, well, the nomination is her win and she should be happy with that and shut up. (And of course cue all of the "Fleabag was a much better show than Insecure!" assholes, as if that's the point of what's being said here.)

And as for "The Wire," I think it's hilarious when people try to hide behind the fact that it was created by a white man. Yeah, and so what? "Too many black folks onscreen" was the answer I recall hearing someone in the business say when asked why the show won no Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 128September 21, 2021 8:22 PM

I put Fleabag up there with any show I’ve seen over the past few years, but I’m really shocked Issa Rae has won nothing, especially compared to Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, which I found somewhat entertaining, but not even close to the quality and creativity of the other two. I think you’re so right about mediocrity being rewarded—black women can be incredibly creative, but have to soar way above the competition to get recognition.

I was pleased to se Michaela Coel get some recognition. I put her up there with the most creative writers working in television today.

by Anonymousreply 129September 21, 2021 8:31 PM

[quote] Did Kate Winslet get her tits out in Mare Of Eastown?

No tits out, no kit off. Well maybe partially unclothed while being fucked by Guy Pearce's character. She wore lots of flannel.

by Anonymousreply 130September 21, 2021 9:09 PM

It's funny, I pointed this out during the Emmys broadcast, in one of the Emmy threads, and got beat down for saying it.

by Anonymousreply 131September 21, 2021 9:16 PM

The funniest part was they were so over the top about having black presenters, black host, black DJ, black red carpet, and almost all white winners so it had the unfortunate optics of a 30’s ceremony with white people celebrating and black people working the party.

by Anonymousreply 132September 21, 2021 9:21 PM

R129 Natasha Rothwell, in both the Insecure and White Lotus hbo series, that black woman deserves multiple emmys.

by Anonymousreply 133September 21, 2021 9:23 PM

Daniel Craig was just quoted as saying he doesn't think a woman, black or otherwise, should be cast as James Bond. Better roles should be written for women and minorities. So of course twitter has gone insane.

by Anonymousreply 134September 21, 2021 9:34 PM

[quote]The Wire is one of the best shows ever aired. And it was created by a white guy, starring mostly black actors. Grey's Anatomy is one of the most successful shows ever. And it was created by a black woman and starred a rainbow coalition of actors. I think this proves that viewers ultimately don't give a shit about the racial makeup of shows. They care for quality entertainment.

R72 /R125, my point was that if, as you say, quality is king, shows like The Wire wouldn't have been shut out of the PT Emmys. This type of thing still happens.

Also, what is a 'black show"? Is it a Shonda show, a Tyler Perry show, or a David Simon show?

As I said, I agree that cultivating nonwhite creatives and employing talented nonwhite actors and capable crewmembers will lead to recognition of talent up and down the line. But this is only one side of the coin. The other is Emmy voters learning to look beyond their hang-ups, blind spots and bizarre biases (like the weird complaint about The Wire and California) come ballot time.

by Anonymousreply 135September 21, 2021 10:22 PM

There are 500 fucking shows to watch now, why can't a few shows have an all-white cast when it makes sense to the time/place/storyline etc.? If you don't like it, there are many, many other tv shows to choose from.

by Anonymousreply 136September 22, 2021 1:17 AM

Sometimes shitty things happen to great shows, R135. The Wire was also VERY ahead of its time. It wasn't a rating bonanza. And TV was just in the nascency of its great renaissance. My guess (and I wasn't a TV writer then. I was just a fledgling wannabe novelist.) is that people didn't quite know what to do with a show like The Wire.

(And I don't think quality is always king. That'd be a provably stupid thing to say. But I think when shows like Pose are being nominated alongside shows like The Queen's Gambit? The comparison is striking. And not in a good way. Now, if The Wire was nominated to The Queen's Gambit? That might be an interesting outcome to discuss.)

A "black" show (and I loathe that term), I posit, means a show that has themes and storylines that affect the black community. It may or may not affect other racial groups. (The gay version would be Queer as Folk. That show really was made just for gays.)

I wouldn't call any Rimes show a black show. She might! But I wouldn't. Hers show have more universal themes and race is important, but it's not the controlling idea or theme in her work.

Ditto The Wire. That show is just modern Shakespeare.

It was up to me? All shows would be universal in theme and scope. I don't relate much to myopic art. But I know for others its vital and important and necessary.

by Anonymousreply 137September 22, 2021 1:29 AM

[quote]Brit actors win because Brit actors are trained and are better than dumb American actors who were told in high school they were attractive, so they headed to Hollywood because they were too dumb to do anything else.

LOL! No, the truth for why Brits often win Oscars/Emmys/Tonys is that Hollywood and Broadway have always been Anglophilic, even more so within the last 20 years. In general, American actors et al. are a pretentious bunch. Also, Hollywood/Broadway have developed anti-America sentiments this century, as they have shifted farther and farther left, politically. But regular Americans want American actors and are sick of seeing foreigners on their screens/stages. Just another example of Hollywood/Broadway being out of touch with the American public, including all the woke stuff they keep peddling.

Frankly, it is disheartening how radicalized and un-American the left has become within the past decade. That is why I stopped being a liberal two years ago. It is one thing to be critical of your country, but to outright hate it and your fellow citizens is self-loathing and a deal-breaker. But the pendulum always swings back, as they say. I can't wait until moderates (i.e., saner heads) are in charge of the U.S. entertainment industry again.

by Anonymousreply 138September 28, 2021 6:26 PM

Furthermore, the populations of Canada, Ireland, Australia, and the U.K. combined are not even half of the U.S. population. Plus, the U.S. has some of the best drama schools. Thus, there is no reason for Hollywood to look elsewhere for actors, especially to portray Americans. Before Covid, I used to attend regional theater regularly up here in New England. There is so much talent in this country that Hollywood is overlooking, because of their current anti-American bias. They need to go back to scouting local talent.

by Anonymousreply 139September 28, 2021 6:45 PM

If Pose and Lovecraft country really were better shows and had performances than The Crown, the "protests" (which were really just some knee-jerk bitching and whining on twitter) would have a point.

But they were both weak shows, and the performances were only so-so, while "The Crown" was phenomenal this season (even by its own standards) and had phenomenal performances. I was not thrilled about Gillian Anderson's peeformance, which ventured into caricature, but Colman, O'Connor, and Menzies fully deserved their trophies this year.

by Anonymousreply 140September 28, 2021 6:54 PM

Did anyone mention that 3 of the 4 guest acting winners were black?

Michael K. Williams was the only one in the other categories that stood a chance.

But his show wasn't that widely seen.

by Anonymousreply 141September 28, 2021 9:20 PM

Again…..let’s do recognition based on talent, not color.

by Anonymousreply 142October 3, 2021 1:52 AM

Poke the woke with a 🔪

by Anonymousreply 143October 3, 2021 2:15 AM

How tedious, the outrage on "behalf" of minorities by non-minorities. It's a variation of Munchausen by proxy, and it isn't doing the minorities any good at all.

by Anonymousreply 144October 3, 2021 2:23 AM

American television… 😒😒

by Anonymousreply 145October 3, 2021 2:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!