Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

BATTLE! of the Boy Bands

Which boy band would you say was the best?

And by boy band, I mean generic boy band, not Maroon 5 or Nickelback, who are also generic but not a "boy band".

I say New Kids on the Block were the best of the boy bands! They had the hits, the moves, great catchy pop tunes, they danced and had Jordan Knight as their lead (later on), and he was a hottie. I used to have such a crush on him when I was a gayling, and I did not even know that was what I felt lol. Cutie!

My second pick would be BSB, I just liked their songs a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2021 8:18 PM

Your list is very U.S.-centric

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2021 7:24 PM

R1 because most people in the US never heard a Boyzone song

Take That at least had one hit in the states.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2021 7:26 PM

This one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2021 7:49 PM

Yep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2021 7:58 PM

BTS? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2021 7:59 PM

I’m surprised Boys II Men is doing so poorly. They could really sing, unlike most of these others.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2021 8:00 PM

I can't stand any of this crap.

They're equivalent to the Chipmunks. In human form.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2021 8:04 PM

And of course none of them up against the original Chipmunks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2021 8:07 PM

Boyz 2 Men are not generic. They are the real deal!

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2021 8:10 PM

They’re still a boy band, and generic, even if they could sing.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2021 8:12 PM

NSTINK

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2021 8:14 PM

New Edition was the bridge between the old and the new, and with their individual successes (Bobby, Bell/Biv/Devoe, Ralph Tresvant, later Johnny Gill), there wasn’t any deadwood in the bunch.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2021 8:17 PM

Hotties

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2021 12:09 AM

I always liked the British boy bands better - Take That were the blueprint (and Robbie Williams really charismatic and hot) and One Direction were a lot of fun. Musically both had some catchy tunes.

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2021 12:18 AM

Why is NKOTB higher than New Edition? How is NSYNC higher than Boyz II Men? Backstreet Boys and Take That, I think deserve their spot though.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2021 2:15 PM

Boyz II Men is an R&B group, grown men singing grown people songs. Not really a boy band. New Edition was a boy band that was assembled as a tribute to the Jackson 5.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2021 2:20 PM

Take That was fun at the time but their music hasn’t aged too well. Robbie was the sexy one.

My votes are for New Edition, Boyz ll Men and NKOTB.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2021 2:22 PM

I'm not surprised that the Jackson 5 is a leading contender for this. They should be running away with this! They were the original "Boy Band!" Nothing beats an original!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2021 2:32 PM

*NSYNC because out of all the bands you mentioned, out side of the Jackson 5’s (I’ll say more about them below), only NSYNCs three big hits are still relevant and get people moving. But then again, “I want it that way” is still a staple for karaoke when guys get up to the microphone. So maybe it’s Backstreet Boys.

Back to NSTNC, their 2 big hits still make everyone want to sing along. I’ve seen it real time in many bars, weddings, clubs, or random events with music. Just corny enough for everyone to get in on the joke for “Bye-Bye-Bye” or “It’s Gonna Be Me”. The last song is still a meme on May 1st.

What’s also great about *NSYNC thanks to selfish JT is that they bowed out at the top. They didn’t overstay their welcome which helps cement their short legacy. Flash in the pan that was fun, then ended.

Other bands had to be shown the door.

Now, the J5 are really the best band musically and probably talent wise but different eras so it’s hard to compare because the boy band style hadn’t really set in until the MTV era. So it’s just not the same. Like comparing the Supremes to Destiny’s Child. The world in industry was just too different to compare.

Now Backstreet Boys had maybe a longer run on top with their own hits, but they overstayed their welcome and at one point where desperately chasing after *NSYNC. Like Christina A they had better vocal capabilities then the pop tarts NSYN/Britney but they just ran out of steam. They have gems in their catalog but I just feel out of the two big bands, *NSYNC has a higher place in the public.

NKOTB - no comment. I heard one good hit the rest seem terrible. They are before my time ( I was alive but too young to care/in diapers ). I’m just don’t hear their music anymore. Same with One Direction. Talk about derivative.

One Direction is allegedly huge but their music sort of sucked and they left no impact on pop. Everything they did had been done and no ones checking for them. Their breakout stars are interesting but the band was just a generic money pit that was worse then the previous groups because none of those assless Brits could dance. Zero choreography. It’s almost a crime against big band law. They did next to nothing but stand there and sing songs written by someone’s else but were treated like the second coming of the Beatles. The power of marketing!!!!

K-Pop boys have perfected many of the boy band checklists but the emotion is missing. That’s due to a cultural disconnect. But they are getting/gotten hip to the needs of Western markets. Very impressive with dance, looks, and ok sounds. They are the future unless we can get white boy bands to dance again.

Other point, I’d like to see an interracial boy band as we’ve gotten with recent girl groups. Make it happen America.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2021 2:44 PM

98 Degrees has no business in this poll.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2021 4:20 PM

[Quote]Now, the J5 are really the best band musically and probably talent wise but different eras so it’s hard to compare because the boy band style hadn’t really set in until the MTV era.

R19 You could have stopped after the first part of that sentence. LOL When discussing music what is more important than music and talent?

I don't think MTV is much of an arbiter of the best band (especially since Michael Jackson helped put MTV on the map - but I digress). What MTV does is further expose the exceptionalism of the Jackson 5.

The Jackson 5 gained notoriety primarily from live performances and only "very limited" TV exposure. We all know that giving outstanding live performances (much less becoming famous for that) is very hard to do. They also crossed over in an era when few Black groups were able to do that. That was no small feat. Finally, they had none of the studio tricks and editing available to ALL these other groups decades later.

I don't think NSYNC got many fans outside of their specific genre nor did they have much multi-generational appeal. I barely remember most of NSYNC'S music and I pride myself in being a music connoisseur. Everybody knows a Jackson 5 song and we know all of the Jackson 5 by name. I doubt most people can name all the members of NSYNC much less even one of their songs.

I think NSYNC leaving early actually hurt them. Obviously JT is an amazing talent as evidenced by his subsequent success, but who knows if NSYNC as a group had the staying power to compete much longer. The market was flooded with many groups just like them. To be honest, I had a hard time telling them a part. NKOTB stood apart as being in a different era. I would actually put them above NSYNC.

NSYNC was not a group long enough nor did they have enough originality to be enough of standouts to be considered "the best."

The Jackson 5 was the original Boy Band and really developed the formula that all their successors followed. There are actually memes of the Jackson 5, which is surprising since they left the stage so long before memes were even a concept. Their songs are played in commercials and will always be a part of pop culture.

NSYNC dissolved after JT left. The Jackson 5 (while not the same without Michael) rebranded as "The Jacksons" and continued for many years which shows the strength of the group.

Not to mention the Jackson name and notoriety was able to spinoff two world renowned superstars in Michael and Janet!

Finally, side note: Of all these bands including NSYNC, the Jackson 5 was the ONLY TRUE BOY BAND in that ALL their members were under the age of 18 when they started. That truly puts them in a category all by themselves.

I don't think different time periods prevents these groups from being properly evaluated if you know music. And certainly, MTV should not be the standard used to measure anything. By all objective standards, The Jackson Five was the best!

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2021 6:25 PM

NSYNC was quickly assembled to be capitalize on surprise success of The Backstreet Boys. Lou Pearlmen founded both groups. NSYNC was not created to last, NSYNC went further into the hip-hop and electronic sound to differentiate themselves from BSB who became more pop-rock. Backstreet Boys lasted longer because they were working together for years before they became famous, they are like a family. NSYNC was more like a bunch of coworkers and they were popular on arrival hence why it was easy for them to split, JT had more opportunities thrown his way.

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2021 6:38 PM

I think musically and performance-wise New Edition is superior to NKOTB in every way. But NKOTB was more mainstream and had a bigger impact on pop culture. They didn't even last that long like 3 years of massive popularity and most of their music is forgettable and cheaply produced. New Edition's individual members had more solo success than any of NKOTB's members did. I compare them because they were both founded by Maurice Starr, NKOTB's music is basically the same as early NE's music (NE got better after they fired Starr) and both were from Boston.

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2021 6:44 PM

I love BSB. Their first album was more urban. Their sophomore more pop-rock.

NSYNC was the opposite, their first more poppy and rocky and then their sophomore more urban. By the third they were pure urban.

And then JT left.

BSB stopped for a few years and then came back. And refuse to leave now.

by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2021 6:47 PM

And Menudo is weirdly missing from this list. They were influential too at least in the Northeast. New Edition and New Kids on The Block probably would not have been a thing without Menudo.

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2021 6:48 PM

How many white kids were listening to Menudo? Please

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2021 9:10 PM

"They are the future unless we can get white boy bands to dance again."

Yep. It's amazing how K-Pop has international appeal, since the language differences are great. But, if they can get a Brazilian audience to sing in Korean and English, there must be something there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2021 9:16 PM

Enough kids must have liked Menudo that they were featured on ABC Saturday Morning. I figure they were mostly an NYC thing though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2021 9:16 PM

Music transcends languages and races.......... RM of BTS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2021 9:19 PM

Yes, because NYC had a massive Puerto Rican population then.

They’re now 3rd in Hispanic population in NYC. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 30October 22, 2021 9:19 PM

Why was this grayed out by FF votes? It's dumb but hardly offensive.

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2021 10:46 PM

The "Boy Band" makes it sexist and the predominance of white acts makes it racist. This is the Age of the Woke.

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2021 10:51 PM

R31 there’s a troll on here with numerous account. Most red tagged person ever on this site. They FF just because

by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2021 11:04 PM

K-Pop is so wretched.

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2021 7:22 PM

NKOTB for me (I’m old I know). I found Jordan and Donny were very attractive back then

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2021 8:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!