Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Everyone’s Talking About Jamie

This is a movie based on the British play about a teen boy who wants to be a drag queen.

I believe it’s on Amazon Prime.

Anyone see it yet?

by Anonymousreply 27September 25, 2021 3:58 PM

Saw the show in England. It was cute. Film will be cute.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2021 8:07 PM

Wasn't this done already? Seems I saw a movie called Bruno🤔 with Shirley MacLaine as the grandmother of a little boy who wants to wear dresses. Cute movie.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2021 8:07 PM

Phillywhore here...I watched it last night. It must be the "GAYEST SHOW THAT EVER GAYED". BTW. it was "fucking adorable" & SOOOOO FUCKING CUTE!! Loved Jame(even his dyed blonde haircut) was "totes adorbs" The mom and the virginal Pakistani teenager(Pretty?) was really GOOD. The owner of the Drag Queen shop, I miss "DRAG QUEENS LIKE THAT". I loved the VCR tape. I need to go to A Good Drag show!! The father(booooooooo).

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2021 8:19 PM

Its exhausting summer PR campaign has me pre-hating it.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2021 8:27 PM

Saw the show in London.

Pleasant but not great.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2021 8:27 PM

They're flacking the hell out of it at Amazon.co.uk right now.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2021 8:36 PM

Fun!!

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2021 12:43 AM

Sweet, Made me cry. Kinda loved it loads.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2021 6:17 PM

I remember seeing Bruno when it came out. For some reason I remembered Rosie O'Donnell played a butch nun but the internet tells me it was Kathy Bates. I guess she was in a different movie.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2021 6:29 PM

Jamie is a cruel little shit. Well, at least to the females in his life.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2021 12:27 AM

I can't believe this isn't being discussed more here on DL. I watched it last night and thought it was great. There were several moments I choked up because it brought back a flood of memories of what it was like being "different" (aka flaming gay) in high school.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 8:26 PM

Who on god’s green name want to grow up to be a drag queen? Lol. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 8:30 PM

Oh, I guarantee you I will NOT be talking about or too Jamie.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 8:32 PM

[quote] I believe it’s on Amazon Prime.

Clever of shill OP to barely feign ignorance while shilling this shrill stereotyped hack Brit musical queenfest.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 8:36 PM

It has been given a theatrical release in the UK. I saw the trailer. It made me want to vomit.

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote]Who on god’s green name want to grow up to be a drag queen? Lol. Sheesh.

RuPaul Makes Emmys History As The Most-Awarded Black Artist Ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 9:31 PM

[quote]It has been given a theatrical release in the UK. I saw the trailer. It made me want to vomit.

We expect nothing less from Dataloungers.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 9:34 PM

I’m not interested in any way shape or form

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 9:36 PM

The story is lovely but the musical numbers are tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 19September 22, 2021 2:16 AM

I saw the original cast onstage in London. That cast was filmed for a one-off-at-the-movie-theater event, which many of us were able to capture. Thought it was a fun show, and very moving/upbeat. I've seen the film on Amazon Prime twice now. It's a very good adaptation. The new song for the drag mother is really powerful -taking us through the worst of the AIDS years with the character's home movies (note: the younger-self drag queen is played by John McCrea, who played the original Jamie in London). Those of us who lived through that were hit with a lot of memories. All in all, it's well worth seeing. I don't care how "predictable" the (true) story is -I like seeing a show where the fem kid succeeds and the the drag queens are powerful role models.

by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2021 2:17 AM

Let's see... How can we steal the idea (gay Brit child wants to go to the prom in a dress, getting support from lovable heavily accented characters including an old drag queen), fill it with American stereotypes, improve the music with some catchy Hairspray-like tunes, and set it in the midwest, and put it on Broadway?

I know. We can make the gay kid a dyke who wants to take her girlfriend to the big dance, and surround her with lovable, stereotype has-been Broadway actors, and make sure that the final song sounds exactly like Hairspray's "You Can't Stop the Beat"

And let's call it THE PROM!

by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2021 2:36 AM

"The Prom" was based on a true story about Constance McMillen a girl from Mississippi. Learn your gay history.

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2021 3:20 AM

And Everybody's Talking About Jamie was based on a "true" story. Just because there's some history behind it, doesn't meant that The Prom was not a blatant ripoff of others.

by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2021 8:30 PM

Pull the Playbill outta your ass, there is nothing original about "Everyone’s Talking About Jamie" to rip off.

by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2021 11:38 PM

I watched last night. Sadly, it’s completely charmless and the songs just suck.

Every time they opened their mouths to sing, I wanted to fast forward.

by Anonymousreply 25September 25, 2021 12:24 PM

The Prom is way way way way better

by Anonymousreply 26September 25, 2021 12:24 PM

It's a but humorless and far less drag than I thought there would be.

by Anonymousreply 27September 25, 2021 3:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!