Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

FDA advisory panel rejects Pfizer booster shots

WASHINGTON (AP) — An influential federal advisory panel has soundly rejected a plan to offer Pfizer booster shots against COVID-19 to most Americans.

The vote Friday, 16-2, was a blow to the Biden administration’s effort to shore up people’s protection against the virus amid the highly contagious delta variant.

Over several hours of discussion, members of the Food and Drug Administration panel of outside experts voiced frustration that Pfizer had provided little data on safety of extra doses.

And they complained that data provided by Israeli researchers about their booster campaign might not be suitable for predicting the U.S. experience.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier story follows below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration’s embattled plan to dispense COVID-19 booster shots to most Americans faced its first major hurdle Friday as a government advisory panel vigorously debated whether to endorse extra doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

Scientists inside and outside the government have been divided in recent days over the need for boosters and who should get them, and the World Health Organization has strongly objected to rich nations giving a third round of shots when poor countries don’t have enough vaccine for their first.

The panel, made up of outside experts who advise the Food and Drug Administration, weighed a less than clear-cut case: While research suggests immunity levels in those who have been vaccinated wane over time and boosters can reverse that, the Pfizer vaccine is still highly protective against severe illness and death, even amid the spread of the highly contagious delta variant.

The FDA experts were scheduled to vote on one basic question: Does the evidence show that a Pfizer booster would be safe and effective for people 16 and older? In the event of a yes vote, the FDA is expected to quickly approve boosters for Pfizer's shot.

But that is just one step in the process. The more thorny question of who should get the shots and when will be debated on Wednesday by advisers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC generally adopts the recommendations of the group, which sets policy for U.S. vaccination campaigns.

The CDC has said it is considering boosters for older people, nursing home residents and front-line health care workers, rather than all adults.

Separate FDA and CDC decisions will be needed in order for people who received the Moderna or J&J shots to get boosters.

At Friday's meeting, the FDA panelists heard full-throated arguments about the need for boosters from both Pfizer and health officials from Israel, which began offering boosters to its citizens in July.

Sharon Alroy-Preis of Israel’s Ministry of Health said the booster dose improves protection tenfold against infection in people 60 and older.

“It’s like a fresh vaccine,” bringing protection back to original levels and helping Israel “dampen severe cases in the fourth wave,” she said.

And representatives for Pfizer argued that it is important to shore up immunity before protection against severe disease starts to erode. A company study of 44,000 people showed effectiveness against symptomatic COVID-19 was 96% two months after the second dose, but had dropped to 84% by around six months.

Both Pfizer and the Israeli representatives faced pushback from panelists. Several expressed skepticism about the relevance of Israel’s experience to the U.S. Also complicating the committee’s decision: No one yet knows the antibody level below which infection is likely and boosters are needed.

“That would be a great way for us to monitor if we really needed booster shots,” said Dr. James Hildreth, president of Meharry Medical College.

FDA vaccine reviewer Dr. Philip Krause raised a host of questions about the reliability of one of the key studies Pfizer said showed that immunity is waning.

Another concern was whether third doses would exacerbate serious side effects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232September 24, 2021 2:42 AM

Dr. Cody Meissner of Tufts Medical Center said he is worried about extra doses for younger age groups given the risk of heart inflammation that has been seen in mostly younger men after a second dose. While the condition is very rare, he said, it is not clear if that risk would increase with another dose.

Pfizer pointed to Israeli data from nearly 3 million boosters to suggest side effect rates would be similar to that seen after second doses.

Dr. Paul Offit, a vaccine expert at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, said he was more likely to support approving a third dose for adults over 60 or 65 but “I really have trouble” supporting it for anyone down to age 16.

While an extra shot likely will at least temporarily decrease cases with mild or no symptoms, “the question becomes what will be the impact of that on the arc of the pandemic, which may not be all that much,” Offit said.

While the Biden administration has said that its priority is to get people vaccinated in the first place, the deepening crisis has given urgency to efforts to shore up Americans’ protection against the virus by giving them booster shots.

President Joe Biden’s top health advisers, including the heads of the FDA and CDC, first announced plans for widespread booster shots a month ago, targeting the week of Sept. 20 as an all-but-certain start date. It said boosters would be dispensed eight months after the second dose of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

But that was before FDA staff scientists had completed their own assessments of the data. Some experts questioned whether Biden was breaking his own pledge to “follow the science” on COVID-19 by getting out ahead of government scientists.

Earlier this week, two top FDA vaccine reviewers joined a group of international scientists in publishing an editorial rejecting the need for boosters in healthy people. The scientists said continuing studies show the shots are working well despite the delta variant.

On Friday, U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy said that in announcing its booster plan, the Biden administration was not trying to pressure regulators to act but was instead trying to be transparent with the public and be prepared in the event that extra shots won approval.

“We have always said that this initial plan would be contingent on the FDA and the CDC’s independent evaluation,” Murthy said.

The Biden plan has also raised major ethical concerns about impoverished parts of the world still clamoring for vaccine. But the administration has argued that the plan is not an us-or-them choice, noting that the U.S. is supplying large quantities of vaccine to the rest of the globe.

The U.S. has already approved Pfizer and Moderna boosters for certain people with weakened immune systems, such as cancer patients and transplant recipients.

Some Americans, healthy or not, have managed to get boosters, in some cases simply by showing up and asking for a shot. And some health systems already are offering extra doses to high-risk people.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2021 7:46 PM

Welp.

There it is.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2021 7:49 PM

I think it’s

“Whoomp, there it is.”

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2021 7:52 PM

Aw FUCK

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2021 7:52 PM

Awww, don’t feel bad, R4. He only missed it by a couple of letters.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2021 7:57 PM

I watched some of the hearings. While they were generally against boosters for everyone, many were in support of boosters for the elderly.

The big problem is, once the idea of a booster is in my mind, I want one

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2021 8:01 PM

I understand that the goal of the vaccine is to prevent serious illness and death, but I don't want to get sick with COVID at all. A booster shot 8-12 months after receiving the second dose seems reasonable and a good safe guard to prevent waning efficacy of the original vaccine dose(s). If an intransigent segment of the population simply refuse to get vaccinated at all ever, at least let the rest of us have access to their doses to fortify our defenses against the virus circulating among the unvaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2021 8:15 PM

Dos this mean that if we choose, we can still get a booster? My body, my choice.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2021 8:16 PM

So American shoppers will be fighting over Pfizer vaccines the way they would otherwise be fighting over cabbage patch dolls this Christmas

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2021 8:16 PM

Are you posting from 1983?

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2021 8:18 PM

The voting is actually still going.

The first was to give it blanket approval.

Now it is voting whether it should be approved for Emergency use for elderly and those at high risk

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2021 8:20 PM

The committee just voted unanimously that the booster should be given to those over 65 and to those at high risk

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2021 8:22 PM

Boy, am I glad I got my booster a couple weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2021 8:23 PM

My dad just tested poz for COVID. Fully vaccinated with Pfizer, 70 and no symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2021 8:23 PM

Testing positive is irrelevant -- the vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting the virus.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2021 8:24 PM

Wait. I was all geared up to get my booster.

Is this a scientific decision or a political decision?

I just don't trust them.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2021 8:25 PM

This decision by the FDA isn't kosher!

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2021 8:25 PM

I think it’s becoming clear that the vaccines wear off to some degree around 6 months

Unvaccinated hospital patients went from like 90 percent to around 70 percent. If I heard an NPR report correctly.

So why wouldn’t the booster be good for everyone?

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2021 8:26 PM

This is very timely for me -- I was just trying to decide if I should get a Pfizer booster. The original "8-months after" will come in a few weeks for me. I'm 69 and overweight, but otherwise do not have an immunity issue that would recommend a booster right now. But I noticed that CVS is offering COVID boosters and letting people self-identify as immunocompromised. My neighbor (in a similar situation to mine) went there to get a flu shot, and they practically INSISTED that he get a COVID booster. The impression I'm getting is that there is an oversupply of the vaccines, and because (1) they have a short shelf life and (2) require careful and expensive storage, providers are trying to use them up rather than discarding them. It doesn't seem like there's much of a downside to getting a booster ahead of time, and I seriously doubt that any vaccines that have already been distributed are going to have any effect on their worldwide availability--so I think I'm gonna get one.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2021 8:29 PM

If you want a booster just show up and say you have advanced HIV and get your shot, they don't check anything. I do have HIV and got mine, but the eldergay has severe heart disease which is not listed but he told them he had HIV, he doesn't, and got a booster. His doctor agreed it was a wise thing to do. Neither of us need to get covid even if there's no symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2021 8:35 PM

That's really interesting re: CVS. When I went to get my booster (for which I made an appointment) the pharmacist looked at me like I had three heads and I had to explain to her multiple times why I was there. And when I finally got my shot, the other pharmacist was trying to push a flu shot on me. I wasn't sure what getting both at the same time would mean so I declined. (Plus I'm still basically encasing myself in a head to toe sheath when I go outside.)

When I was waiting after the shot for any reactions, the elderly woman who went after me said she had the exact same experience with the two pharmacists.

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2021 8:36 PM

[quote]My dad just tested poz for COVID. Fully vaccinated with Pfizer, 70 and no symptoms.

Glad he's symptomless!

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2021 8:38 PM

The panel has now voted to authorize Pfizer booster shots for people 65 and older and at high risk of severe COVID.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2021 8:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2021 8:41 PM

Well this all seems pretty reasonable to me now. The meeting was straightforward. It makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2021 8:46 PM

I've decided to have another, regardless of their decision (s). There are many different ways to easily obtain another.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote] The big problem is, once the idea of a booster is in my mind, I want one

Go get one, r6. They’re surprisingly easy, at least in my state. Just show up and say you have a exacerbating condition like chronic Asthma, and they’ll give it to you. No doctor verification necessary, so you can just lie if you really want it. They don’t even make you sign anything.

Not saying you SHOULD do this, but you can!

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2021 8:50 PM

I don’t understand the criticism of lack of safety data from Pzizer. With something this high profile, wouldn’t they know exactly what data was expected? This seems like something that would have been worked out preliminarily.

Also, it seems like that data would be available if they studied the third shot.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2021 8:51 PM

I guess I could get a booster in December. I'm 67 and was fully vaccinated in April? It was the Pfizer.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2021 8:53 PM

Listen up Biden admin: Now is the time to re-open the national vaccine sites because the lines are going to be crazy and we’re going to go through all that again. Don’t wait 6 weeks to open up the national sites.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2021 8:53 PM

The only question that remains is this: is there a downside to taking the third shot?

Maybe the answer is in the safety data. Now would be a good time to answer that question.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2021 8:54 PM

You can likely get a booster in the next few weeks if you want to, R29.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2021 8:54 PM

[quote]There are many different ways to easily obtain another.

Can y'all detail some of these ways, because I'd been planning on being able to just get one in a month or so and now I'm angry. I got my two Pfizer shots at a hospital in Manhattan in April. They had my insurance info. Should I go to my usual pharmacy to lie about HIV or whatever? Or go to some random one I have never been to before? What questions will they ask, et cetera. Any help, please and thank you!

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2021 8:56 PM

Thanks R32..

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2021 8:56 PM

Also this: what about mutations? Are they working in vaccines that have been adjusted for mutations?

What good is 3 shots of the virus is changing.. I hope Fauci speaks to that.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2021 8:56 PM

I would think pharmacies would have the booster, like the two first vaccines...or maybe your doctor. Hopefully, it would be more available than earlier in the year.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2021 8:57 PM

...earlier *this year...

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2021 8:58 PM

Just for context, the UK is doing boosters for ages 50 and above. And R35, it's the very same Pfizer vaccine that was administered before. It's intended to address waning effectiveness, not variants.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2021 8:58 PM

[quote] Can y'all detail some of these ways, because I'd been planning on being able to just get one in a month or so and now I'm angry. I got my two Pfizer shots at a hospital in Manhattan in April. They had my insurance info. Should I go to my usual pharmacy to lie about HIV or whatever? Or go to some random one I have never been to before? What questions will they ask, et cetera. Any help, please and thank you!

R33 just go to any CVS and say you want a booster because you have asthma. They don't ask questions. They don’t even probably care since they get paid for every dose they administer.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2021 9:00 PM

R33 You simply lie. Either you've recently been diagnosed with HIV, Asthma, or another invented condition which qualifies you. You can also say you are uninsured, and choose a pharmacy other than where you obtained your others. You can really get crazy and claim to be a transplant recipient. MANY, many, ways. Be creative!

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2021 9:02 PM

From what I’ve been hearing, they don’t (and can’t) ask that information.

They present a sheet to you with underlying conditions and ask you if you qualify based on “one or more of these” only. They can’t do things like ask your HIV status so that’s the way they’ve been doing it.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2021 9:13 PM

I just made an appointment for CVS tomorrow. They haven't updated their site (obviously) for the just-released "over 65" recommendation, so I had to say I was immunocompromised, but now I feel less guilty about it. By the way -- they seem to have greater availability of vaccine appointments in the CVS pharmacies that are inside Target rather than the standalones. I was only able to find Pfizer at the Target locations--my local CVS only had Moderna.

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2021 9:19 PM

Thanks, guys! I am a terrible liar and get all flustered and just want to know what to expect so I can prepare myself in front of the mirror beforehand, haha

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2021 9:19 PM

The other shoe has not dropped with this whole pandemic. 2021 has pretty much just been intermission.

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2021 9:29 PM

Cheers R43, All the best wishes to you.

by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2021 9:29 PM

The panel also advised the FDA to include healthcare workers in the booster plan.

by Anonymousreply 46September 17, 2021 9:40 PM

Is this because they want the vaccines to go to other less developed countries? A yahoo article said that.

by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2021 9:48 PM

Stop talking about the damn variants, its Delta that's killing the unvaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 48September 17, 2021 9:49 PM

[quote] The only question that remains is this: is there a downside to taking the third shot? Maybe the answer is in the safety data. Now would be a good time to answer that question.

You think they got data on that? They have been shit at getting accurate data? I wouldn't believe what they say anyway - no matter what they say - they got an agenda - always with the fucking agendas.

I'm getting it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 49September 17, 2021 9:51 PM

R49 Right on.

by Anonymousreply 50September 17, 2021 9:53 PM

Are the boosters available now the same dose or a lower dose than the first 2?

by Anonymousreply 51September 17, 2021 9:55 PM

[quote]I would think pharmacies would have the booster, like the two first vaccines...or maybe your doctor. Hopefully, it would be more available than earlier in the year.

[quote]Are the boosters available now the same dose or a lower dose than the first 2?

There is no separate "booster." All three shots are identical.

by Anonymousreply 52September 17, 2021 10:17 PM

here is a better article:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2021 10:22 PM

the boosters are approved for the high risk. Who are the high risk in this case? immuno-suppressed persons.

"The U.S. has already approved Pfizer and Moderna boosters for certain people with weakened immune systems, such as cancer patients and transplant recipients."

they are thinking the boosters are better for these people:

"The CDC has said it is considering boosters for older people, nursing home residents and front-line health care workers, rather than all adults."

by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2021 10:25 PM

Question: What about people who have medical conditions that place they at high risk for severe illness and death from covid? What about these medical conditions?

And furthermore, what are the medical conditions that place people at higher risk for severe illness and death? Is this known?

by Anonymousreply 55September 17, 2021 10:28 PM

R55 Not entirely certain bout the US, but in the UK, being obese is considered a risk factor. It should be that way everywhere, as they understand fat cells act as a reservoir for virus.

by Anonymousreply 56September 17, 2021 10:33 PM

The CDC lists a number of medical conditions that put individuals at greater risk for severe COVID, including diabetes, heart conditions, HIV infection, obesity, smoking and substance abuse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 17, 2021 10:36 PM

Yes, but they've never recommended that obese people get a booster--it's not considered among the factors for a compromised immune system.

by Anonymousreply 58September 17, 2021 10:44 PM

I know this. Thanks for sharing this with others on her.

Are these people going to get the booster recommendation. This is what I am wondering?

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2021 10:45 PM

Here it is:

Who can get a third dose of a COVID-19 vaccine? Based on CDC recommendations, third vaccine doses are available now for people who are considered moderately or severely immunosuppressed. These would include those who:

-Receive active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood. -Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system. -Have either had a stem cell transplant within the last two years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system. -Were diagnosed with DiGeorge syndrome or Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome. -Are diagnosed with HIV and have a high viral load or low CD4 count, or are not currently taking medication to treat HIV. -Are taking drugs such as high-dose steroids or other medications that may cause severe suppression of the immune system.

If you are not sure whether you fit into any of these categories, please contact your medical provider.

I also posted the full article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 17, 2021 10:51 PM

r60 But that list has now been expanded to include (for Pfizer, anyway) those over 65.

by Anonymousreply 61September 17, 2021 10:52 PM

Here it is:

Who can get a third dose of a COVID-19 vaccine? Based on CDC recommendations, third vaccine doses are available now for people who are considered moderately or severely immunosuppressed. These would include those who:

-Receive active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood.

-Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system.

-Have either had a stem cell transplant within the last two years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system.

-Were diagnosed with DiGeorge syndrome or Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome.

-Are diagnosed with HIV and have a high viral load or low CD4 count, or are not currently taking medication to treat HIV.

-Are taking drugs such as high-dose steroids or other medications that may cause severe suppression of the immune system.

If you are not sure whether you fit into any of these categories, please contact your medical provider.

I posted the full article here too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 17, 2021 10:53 PM

Well, they obviously think it could cause more harm than good? This is a bit of a conundrum if the vaccines do in fact taper off.

by Anonymousreply 63September 17, 2021 10:54 PM

My neighbor called me this morning because she got a text message from Walgreens saying she needed two booster shots of Pfizer. She thought this was weird. Anybody here get such a message or hear of this?

by Anonymousreply 64September 17, 2021 11:01 PM

Nope, this is not what they are saying.

They are saying if you have a healthy immune system, the vaccine will prevent you from severe illness and death. They are also reviewing the issue whether a 3rd vaccination would cut down on spread. This information is not conclusive yet.

Everyone is saying the driver of this spread is the unvaccinated. It is also the driver of mutation.

Basically, we need to vaccinated the world. Get a vaccine for children, which is being developed. We have to deal with the unvaccinated and get them vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 65September 17, 2021 11:03 PM

💉 Nobody Knows Nothin'Bout The Corona Vaccine

by Anonymousreply 66September 17, 2021 11:05 PM

they need to deal with the unvaccinated. They need to develop covid vaccination programs globally.

by Anonymousreply 67September 17, 2021 11:08 PM

Excuse me, Young People.

I'll tell you how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 68September 17, 2021 11:12 PM

Ahmoan get my boosa 'cause I'ma big ol' man.

by Anonymousreply 69September 17, 2021 11:14 PM

they need to develop a stronger one shot vaccine, better than the first JnJ. Then, start darting these unvaccinated american fuckers. Yes, it is sadistic. So, just get Law Enforcement to do it.

by Anonymousreply 70September 17, 2021 11:18 PM

R64 Did your friend have the j&j?

by Anonymousreply 71September 17, 2021 11:19 PM

i am really sick of these unvaccinated adults causing trouble.

by Anonymousreply 72September 17, 2021 11:22 PM

the virus is going to mutate and kill us all. We have to stop it. We stop it with VACCINES.

Can't these people realizing they are killing themselves? They are the reason why the hospitals are overwhelmed. We are all going to die because of these stupid cunts.

by Anonymousreply 73September 17, 2021 11:24 PM

I got the double dose Pfizer Vaccine in April, and a flu shot two weeks ago.

That's enough for now.

by Anonymousreply 74September 17, 2021 11:41 PM

Im trusting the FDA.

Drug companies pimping out vaccines practically overnight, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 75September 17, 2021 11:55 PM

I bet that they will revise guidance on this--to everyone needing the booster--within three months.

by Anonymousreply 76September 18, 2021 12:16 AM

The FDA panel is allowing Pfizer boosters for those over 65, those susceptible to severe Covid (obesity, diminished immunity, etc), and healthcare workers.

It will wait for more data before approving for all.

by Anonymousreply 77September 18, 2021 12:30 AM

R16, the political decision would have been to give it to everyone

by Anonymousreply 78September 18, 2021 12:31 AM

Flu shots should not gotten in Oct

by Anonymousreply 79September 18, 2021 12:33 AM

Agreed R76

by Anonymousreply 80September 18, 2021 12:34 AM

When are you spouses to get the flu shot if not October?

by Anonymousreply 81September 18, 2021 12:35 AM

[Quote] Is this because they want the vaccines to go to other less developed countries?

[Bold] YES !!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 82September 18, 2021 12:38 AM

Yet Dataloungers vaccinated within the last six months are running around getting boosters right and left these days it seems!

by Anonymousreply 83September 18, 2021 1:02 AM

The decision isn't final until the CDC decides. Hoping I can get a booster on the grounds of high blood pressure.

Def. support the decision to start with immunosuppressed folks and medical workers, because sweet Jesus what they're going through. (and many of the breakthrough infections have been medical workers hip deep in COVID patients, yes?)

by Anonymousreply 84September 18, 2021 1:07 AM

Yes flu shots should be gotten by the end of oct

by Anonymousreply 85September 18, 2021 1:11 AM

I, along with almost everyone I know got the Moderna vaccine. No word about boosters for Moderna?

by Anonymousreply 86September 18, 2021 1:14 AM

Just a little note about Walmart. If you are going to lie do not go there. I have had three Pfizer shots there. I had to sign a sheet for my third one with what made me eligible for the third shot. In my case it is because I take Methotrexate and Humira for RA.

by Anonymousreply 87September 18, 2021 1:16 AM

This is all confusing - so FDA is basically saying that the vaccine still protect you from Covid even after a certain period. But isn't it there are data indicating it's efficacy is a lot less. But FDA just doesn't agree with that findings? We all want to stop this pandemic. If getting a booster will help do that - why not allow it? Just let everybody who wants a booster take it.

by Anonymousreply 88September 18, 2021 1:20 AM

I don't understand why the Israeli experience wouldn't be relevant to the US. And I understand that developing countries need the vaccine, but it's not like they are going to send more vaccines to other countries if we stop administering it here. I guess there's a lot I don't understand, and honestly, I am not really inclined to go read a million articles on the politics of booster shots. I recently had a breakthrough case of covid with Pfizer. I figure I'm protected for now, but I hope they come up with a plan soon.

by Anonymousreply 89September 18, 2021 1:21 AM

So much contradictory, inconclusive "advice"!

by Anonymousreply 90September 18, 2021 1:25 AM

All these people that got vaccinated early like they were told are going to lose their immunity as the worst of the winter hits us. It's stupid not to let them get it, when we know that a good half of those eligible will never get the vaccine and we are wasting it anyway. Might as well put it to good use. I am thinking of claiming immunodeficiency and getting it next month before cases pick up.

by Anonymousreply 91September 18, 2021 1:33 AM

so if the FDA doesn't want to approve the vaccine for younger people and only those over 65 why would those of us over 65 want to take it? The vaccine part ever bothered me but this booster has bothered me from the beginning. I wrote to the CDC with questions and they wrote back but didn't answer any of them.

Something isn't right if only certain ages are approved for getting it.

by Anonymousreply 92September 18, 2021 1:39 AM

[quote]so if the FDA doesn't want to approve the vaccine for younger people and only those over 65 why would those of us over 65 want to take it?

Because the immune system weakens with age. At the end of 2020, 95% of people who had died of COVID were over age 50.

The issue with younger people is the risk of myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle that seems to be caused by an immune system overreaction.

Your immune system isn't overreacting to anything when you're over 65. The risk is that it doesn't react enough. That's why you need the shot.

by Anonymousreply 93September 18, 2021 1:45 AM

TY r93

by Anonymousreply 94September 18, 2021 1:49 AM

Here's the citation for the statistic posted at R93.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 18, 2021 2:08 AM

[quote] Flu shots should not gotten in Oct

WTF are you talking about? You’re supposed to get it in September or by the end of October.

by Anonymousreply 96September 18, 2021 2:49 AM

[quote]All these people that got vaccinated early like they were told are going to lose their immunity as the worst of the winter hits us.

People were never told they were going to "lose their immunity."

They were told the vaccines' effectiveness might decline as time goes on, but studies were ongoing and nothing was conclusive yet.

The latest data from Israel and the UK indicates that protection against symptomatic infection seems to decline, but protection against severe disease, hospitalization and death remains very strong (over 90%).

The vaccine seems to have done what it was supposed to do: Train our immune system how to deal with this virus it had never encountered before. In people with normal immune systems, the vaccine makes antibodies, memory cells and T cells attack COVID-19 and turn it into a mild cold that doesn't shred the lungs, clot the blood, destroy organs and kill.

What the FDA panel questioned is: Do people with normal, robust immune systems really need a booster at this point? Is the safety data for younger people there?

They concluded that the need and the safety data for people over 65 and the immunocompromised (actually, everyone over 65 is essentially immunocompromised due to natural weakening of the immune system) is there, so they have recommended boosters for those groups.

Of course, more data may be released that changes the case re: boosters for everyone. Or maybe it won't. That is what we have to deal with when we're living through a pandemic, caused by a brand-new virus, in real time.

by Anonymousreply 97September 18, 2021 2:52 AM

I walked into Kroger just a couple days after they started talking about boosters. This was maybe 3-4 weeks ago. And I told the pharmacist I wanted a Moderna booster because I have a couple conditions that I disclosed to him, and he said ok, and in 5 minutes it was done. The reaction was much milder than the first 2.

People including the Kroger pharmacist disagree about when to get the vaccination. He said it's best to wait until late Oct or mid-Nov. Others think earlier is better. It probably depends on historical flu infection rates where you live. The flu vaccine also wears off after 6-8 months for most people. I was at the doc's last week and they showed up with a flu shot before asking.

by Anonymousreply 98September 18, 2021 2:54 AM

They either don't believe it or don't understand it, r73. Outspoken anti-vax rightwingers have been dropping like flies recently and it doesn't seem to have changed a thing.

by Anonymousreply 99September 18, 2021 3:01 AM

R99 Not dropping like flies enough :)

by Anonymousreply 100September 18, 2021 3:03 AM

Seriously, nobody loves Wall Street and Big Pharma as much as American leftists. It's so bizarre what you people have become and you can't even see it.

by Anonymousreply 101September 18, 2021 3:03 AM

This is great news! Everyone on DL (fat whores and eldergays) qualifies for a booster.

by Anonymousreply 102September 18, 2021 3:15 AM

Get all your medical advice from Kroger!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 18, 2021 3:17 AM

You do know that all pharmacists have to earn Doctors of Pharmacy degrees (PharmD), and state licensure, right, R103?

They're not just checkout clerks who've been shifted over.

by Anonymousreply 104September 18, 2021 3:21 AM

You are so smart, R101.

You should volunteer in a COVID ward without a mask and tell them all about it.

Do that as much as possible. The world needs your knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 105September 18, 2021 3:24 AM

"Is this because they want the vaccines to go to other less developed countries? A yahoo article said that."

Yes. We've been giving trillions of dollars away for decades. One day we're going to get an 'overdrawn' notice, and that will be that. We can't stop giving.

They'll ship all our supplies to some shithole country and we'll all get sick again.

by Anonymousreply 106September 18, 2021 3:40 AM

Who is on this panel? Trump appointees?

by Anonymousreply 107September 18, 2021 4:53 AM

The Fucking FDA is staffed by a bunch of gov ernment drones.

They will say anythign their masters want them to.

by Anonymousreply 108September 18, 2021 4:56 AM

but isn't Joe Biden their master now? He didn't want them to say this.

by Anonymousreply 109September 18, 2021 4:58 AM

Does that mean we can't get it up the ass anymore?

by Anonymousreply 110September 18, 2021 4:59 AM

Shouldn't people over 50 get the booster? What's 15 years?

by Anonymousreply 111September 18, 2021 4:59 AM

Aren't all overweight people at high risk?

Should I start eating doughnuts?

by Anonymousreply 112September 18, 2021 5:01 AM

Why is 65 "the number?"

by Anonymousreply 113September 18, 2021 5:03 AM

[quote]The nonbinding recommendation — from an influential committee of outside experts who advise the Food and Drug Administration — is not the last word. The FDA will consider the group’s advice and make its own decision, probably within days. And the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is set to weigh in next week.

[quote]During several hours of vigorous debate Friday, members of the panel questioned the value of offering boosters to almost everybody 16 and over. “I don’t think a booster dose is going to significantly contribute to controlling the pandemic,” said Dr. Cody Meissner of Tufts University. “And I think it’s important that the main message we transmit is that we’ve got to get everyone two doses.”

[quote]Dr. Paul Offit, a vaccine expert at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, said he was supportive of a third dose for adults over 60 or 65, but “I really have trouble” supporting it for anyone down to age 16. While an extra shot would probably at least temporarily reduce cases with mild or no symptoms, “the question becomes what will be the impact of that on the arc of the pandemic, which may not be all that much,” Offit said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 18, 2021 5:03 AM

🕵️ Can't Trust Anybody!

by Anonymousreply 115September 18, 2021 5:11 AM

Right now, I'm more concerned with what's goin' down in DC today.

by Anonymousreply 116September 18, 2021 5:12 AM

[quote]Can't Trust Anybody!

Well, you should probably err on the side of the scientists, R115. After that, your options are increasingly limited: trusting some doctor you've never met to intubate you, some nurse you don't know to wrap your corpse, and someone random shift worker to put you in a box or grill you to dust.

Those are your choices.

by Anonymousreply 117September 18, 2021 5:16 AM

Just lie and go get the booster if you want one, it's not that hard to do. If you dont, they'll be sending them all off to Tajikistan or somewhere and you'll be sorry.

by Anonymousreply 118September 18, 2021 5:25 AM

It’s weird that they’re not recommending the booster for absolutely everyone, because I read that efficacy has been reduced to 50% and everyone is getting asymptomatic breakthrough infections which are being passed on to strangers who briefly (for only a few fleeting seconds) come into contact with the infected (e.g. walking past each other in an airport, or while a person is eating their lunch in their car with their window down and an infected person walks past them).

Everyone should be getting a third shot, no matter when you got your second shot or how old or “healthy” you are (you’re never too young to die from Covid or to develop long-haul symptoms, even from an asymptomatic case and even if you’re fully vaccinated). And when you DO get your third shot, remember that you can still get an asymptomatic or symptomatic breakthrough case and develop long Covid or die from it (or transmit it to the elderly, immunocompromised, or under 12), so mask UP!

by Anonymousreply 119September 18, 2021 5:51 AM

[quote]Shouldn't people over 50 get the booster? What's 15 years?

[quote]Why is 65 "the number?"

Ask your doctor for their advice, R111/R113.

You have a primary care physician, yes? You should, to lower your risk of other health threats like heart disease, high blood pressure, prostate cancer, etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 120September 18, 2021 5:51 AM

If only the government would do something!

by Anonymousreply 121September 18, 2021 5:59 AM

Why is it just rejecting Pfizer and not Moderna?

by Anonymousreply 122September 18, 2021 6:01 AM

I just wonder if there's some secret database listing the vaccinated?

by Anonymousreply 123September 18, 2021 6:13 AM

[quote]It’s weird that they’re not recommending the booster for absolutely everyone, because I read that efficacy has been reduced to 50% and everyone is getting asymptomatic breakthrough infections which are being passed on to strangers who briefly (for only a few fleeting seconds) come into contact with the infected (e.g. walking past each other in an airport, or while a person is eating their lunch in their car with their window down and an infected person walks past them).

It's not weird at all, R119. Read what I posted at R97.

"Everyone" is not getting infected with anything. The consequences of COVID infection after you've been vaccinated are much different than they were (and are) without vaccination. People who've been fully vaccinated and get breakthrough infections are, overwhelmingly, not getting severely ill, being hospitalized, or dying.

The FDA panel is being cautious, as is their job—recommending boosters is a matter of calculated risk.

Read the evidence. New Scientist has a good article this week about the Israel data. It's only in the print edition, but I summarized their findings in my post. The NYTimes has published several good summaries today about the FDA panel's decision and the context behind it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 18, 2021 6:14 AM

Two people at work are out with Covid (one unvaccinated, and one who has had just the first Moderna shot). So yesterday I started getting a little dry cough, kinda tired, kinda sweaty. I feel I have 'something' that my vaccination is preventing from turning into real sickness.

by Anonymousreply 125September 18, 2021 6:19 AM

[quote]I just wonder if there's some secret database listing the vaccinated?

Guess what, R123, if you live in the United States, there is a database listing whether you've been vaccinated against everything, including

Polio

Measles

Mumps

Rubella

Diphtheria

Tuberculosis

This has been happening for more than 50 years.

But it is secret, as mandated by law.

by Anonymousreply 126September 18, 2021 6:19 AM

[quote]Why is it just rejecting Pfizer and not Moderna?

Because Moderna has not submitted an application to the FDA for boosters to be authorized. They're still getting their studies/shit together.

Pfizer is the only applicant so far.

by Anonymousreply 127September 18, 2021 6:22 AM

I can't believe Trump still controls the FDA,

by Anonymousreply 128September 18, 2021 6:23 AM

[quote]I can't believe Trump still controls the FDA

What is the evidence he does, R128? What is the basis for that assertion?

by Anonymousreply 129September 18, 2021 6:25 AM

Because they are against Biden, our God.

by Anonymousreply 130September 18, 2021 7:06 AM

My best friend is over 50 but under 65 and will be traveling overseas end of December...He's gonna get the booster, I hope it won't be a big problem then and he won't have to lie about having medical conditions.

I mean, they have your name and date of birth, do they enter your medical conditions in the system?

by Anonymousreply 131September 18, 2021 7:25 AM

Ask your doctor, R131.

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2021 7:28 AM

My parents got booster shots almost a month ago.

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2021 7:31 AM

[quote]Because they are against Biden, our God.

Not a single supporter of Biden is remotely as cultlike as the average Trump supporter.

All these anti-vaxxers are proof positive. If Trump had exercised science-based leadership and come out in favor of masks and vaccines, 1 in 500 Americans wouldn't have died of COVID at this point.

These anti-vax Republican Trump supporters literally worship him more than God, who would advocate for wearing masks and getting vaccines to save the life of one's fellow man.

by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2021 7:38 AM

yes, I know someone who already got his booster shot a while ago, He was also among the first to get the vaccine. He works in a hospital.

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2021 11:01 AM

[quote] Just a little note about Walmart. If you are going to lie do not go there. I had to sign a sheet for my third one with what made me eligible for the third shot.

Oh, no! They made you sign a sheet? Oh, heavens to murgatroid, you can’t lie if they make you sign your name. They may put it into your permanent record your principal told you about in school!

MARY!!!!

by Anonymousreply 136September 18, 2021 1:45 PM

Body Mass index over 30 was an exception to the age-based roll out of the vaccines in the spring.

That's a very... big... exception. It should cover most of you here when you want a booster.

by Anonymousreply 137September 18, 2021 1:51 PM

R119 sounds like a deranged MSNBC junkie to me.

by Anonymousreply 138September 18, 2021 1:53 PM

I'm not sure if you should lie about conditions you don't have because, they enter your name, birthday into the system and you do have to fill out a form, if they put down you have HIV when you don't have it, who knows if it will affect your health insurance rates in future?

I'm just not sure they put in whatever medical conditions you have.

Or another way is just go and get jabbed, pretend it's your first time. If you go to a city run place (NYC), you tell them you don't have ID, I think they will still give it to you. Not sure. there are lots of immigrants in ny and i'm not sure if they are very strict about documents for jab

by Anonymousreply 139September 18, 2021 2:30 PM

There you go, R139. When you go to the public health clinic, ask for the vaccination in Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 140September 18, 2021 2:34 PM

[quote] if they put down you have HIV when you don't have it, who knows if it will affect your health insurance rates in future?

See r41.

[quote]I'm just not sure they put in whatever medical conditions you have.

They don’t.

by Anonymousreply 141September 18, 2021 3:24 PM

Can I get the moderna if I had Pfizer before?

by Anonymousreply 142September 18, 2021 3:26 PM

NO.

by Anonymousreply 143September 18, 2021 3:28 PM

This is about Pfizer. IF you receive a Pfizer vaccination, this is about the guidance for getting another booster. They are basing this on the science. They are looking at antibodies/immunity studies. This will always be updated because they are studying this.

Modena and JJ. Have to go through this too.

Don't you want to know with the immune protection wanes? This is what they are doing. What they should be doing?

by Anonymousreply 144September 18, 2021 3:39 PM

Folks, there are lots of good questions here, but not many great answers.

Most of the answers depend on what state you live in. These programs are administered on a state level. The rules are, at least in part, state rules.

So carefully weigh the answers you read here. They might be fine, for some, but still inapplicable to you.

by Anonymousreply 145September 18, 2021 4:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146September 18, 2021 5:07 PM

This is messy, messy. They should’ve just OK’d it. I don’t like the way this is being handled.

by Anonymousreply 147September 18, 2021 5:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148September 18, 2021 5:37 PM

Nobody Knows Nothin’ ‘Bout The Pfizer Booster Shot💉

by Anonymousreply 149September 18, 2021 5:39 PM

I'm getting Pfizer 3 in a couple of hours. Who wants my stuff?

by Anonymousreply 150September 18, 2021 6:03 PM

Again the UK is way ahead and has already started giving 90s and above their booster. Everyone over 50 can get it for free.

by Anonymousreply 151September 18, 2021 6:07 PM

It's clear that no one in the United States government knows what the fuck is going on with the vaccines and therefore trust is being compromised. I think it's beyond idiotic to be unvaccinated at this stage of the chaos, but as usual, the US Government is doing everything it can to be a car full of clowns and undermine whatever trust the public may have in anything coming out of D.C. Republicans, Democrats, doesn't matter, they all apparently get a lobotomy as soon as they're elected to office.

If the economy wasn't the most important thing in American society we'd be over this whole shitty pandemic by now. "We need growth, we need growth, we need growth!". The war cry of the American economy. Everyone knows *nothing* grows forever, right?

This may all collapse sooner than we think.

by Anonymousreply 152September 18, 2021 6:11 PM

NIH is looking at this correctly. They need to know when the antibody protection wanes. It will be a different time period for people with strong immune systems than people who are immuno suppressed (people who have medical conditions/treatment that affect the immune system.

Remember, the main question here is: How long do these vaccine last, how long does a person have antibody protection from the vaccine? When antibodies wane you need a booster vaccine to mount an antibody response again. This would be different depending on medical conditions, age that effect the immune system.

Everyone is going to have to get a booster again. Though the time frame should be based on science.

This main question is about severe illness and death.

by Anonymousreply 153September 18, 2021 6:26 PM

[r153] There is another question being asked here: This is a completely different question, which is:

What about ability to spread the virus? Would giving a booster to healthy adults lower the ability of these healthy adults to spread the illness to the UNVACCINATED? But there is not enough data on this. This is being look at.

More importantly though, there is a glaring KNOWN FACT. The unvaccinated adults/teens are the ones spreading the illness. Adult/Teen Anti-Vaxxers are the drivers of spread. Adults/Teen Anti-Vaxxers are the driver of mutation. So still the priority is getting Antivaxxer Adults and Teens vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 154September 18, 2021 6:34 PM

Guess this administration is just as clueless.

by Anonymousreply 155September 18, 2021 6:37 PM

I got the Pfizer, but studies show that the Moderna is having a stronger immune response over a longer period of time. I am thinking instead of getting a third Pfizer, I will go to a place that is giving Moderna and tell them it's my first time. I don't want a third Pfizer only to find out it won't give me enough protection to get through the fall and winter months.

by Anonymousreply 156September 18, 2021 6:38 PM

I don't think people should wait for the govt.

Many events in the past have taught us that we cannot depend on the govt 100% on anything, doesn't matter who the president is.

9/11-federal govt said air was safe to breathe

all the major natural disasters etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 157September 18, 2021 6:40 PM

The Covid Vaccination program should always have enormous Scientific Oversight by the NIH, in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 158September 18, 2021 6:40 PM

R156, But if you are already in the system, they ask for your name and date of birth. they have dates of your vaccination etc. i know that in NYC. they can bring up your records with just your name and date of birth.

I know this because I went to get a covid test (it was negative) and forgot to bring my vaccination card. they just entered my name and date of birth and the info came up.

by Anonymousreply 159September 18, 2021 6:44 PM

Also, this was about all the data about the Pfizer Vaccine. Moderna and JJ has to go through the same oversight process. We need to know when to recommend the booster. It will be different for healthy vs. immuno supppresed people. Also, different per vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 160September 18, 2021 6:45 PM

All you folks saying you want boosters anyway and that we shouldn't listen to the FDA and the government are such HILARIOUS hypocrites. Shameless.

What happened to listening to the DOCTORS and the SCIENTISTS!?!? What happened to putting your faith in science?

by Anonymousreply 161September 18, 2021 6:55 PM

r161. The doctors and scientists in Israel, who are months ahead of us, are saying boosters are needed to prevent severe infection. The US hasn't caught up yet.

by Anonymousreply 162September 18, 2021 7:01 PM

You don't get to pick and choose which science you listen to, like some heretic anti-vaxxer! You're just an anti-intellectual zealot scraping for legitimacy by labeling your current opinion as scientific fact.

by Anonymousreply 163September 18, 2021 7:07 PM

Israel started their vaccination program before the USA. There are elderly people in Israel who have been vaccinated longer than elderly people in the US. This is why this data on Antibodies/Immunity is important to us. This data is VERY IMPORTANT.

There is also those studies on breakthrough infections that was conducted in Israel, They want to understand data from these studies.

by Anonymousreply 164September 18, 2021 7:14 PM

Are booster shots actually available right now for the general public?

by Anonymousreply 165September 18, 2021 7:26 PM

R164 you should share your vast knowledge with the American scientific community, help them catch up. Since only you have a special line to the Israeli scientific community and their findings you could be the bridge that saves our country!

Personally I wait to accept anything as fact until I hear it from the lips of Father Fauci. That seems the safest bet, and requires the least amount of thought on my part.

by Anonymousreply 166September 18, 2021 7:30 PM

Yes r154 Add the children to that too, they're still looking at the data on that, but we all know children are major spreaders of any an everything so just getting them vaccinated will be huge.

by Anonymousreply 167September 18, 2021 7:34 PM

65 yrs is often a magic medical cutoff age in the US due to Medicare eligibility. That's all it means.

by Anonymousreply 168September 18, 2021 7:34 PM

This is what is happening. People, who are dumb as fuck, do not want to know what this NIH Meeting was about. Then, they make shit up. They know they are dumb as fuck. They know they do not know what is fucking going on. They know they are making shit up. They know they are attacking credible people who are trying to explain it to them. I am DONE.

We need to vaccinate these psycho antivaxxer cunts. They are NOT trying to understand the information. They are purposely and maliciously spreading HARMFUL MISINFORMATION.

GET VACCINATED NOW.

Stop spreading HARMFUL MISINFORMATION. You are getting people killed, even Children. FUCK YOU!

by Anonymousreply 169September 18, 2021 7:36 PM

NO! in the US, we have a medicare system. It is based on AGE. We can send information about boosters through this system. ALso, the timeframe for getting a booster will be the same. We have a way to reach them and the same guidance. THIS IS A GOOD THING.

by Anonymousreply 170September 18, 2021 7:41 PM

^^WTF?

by Anonymousreply 171September 18, 2021 7:41 PM

Sorry, r170, my WTF was for r169.

by Anonymousreply 172September 18, 2021 7:42 PM

r132 they have advised that you stick with the one you started with

by Anonymousreply 173September 18, 2021 8:43 PM

R165, are you in a major city? why don't you just go in and try to get it? what's the worse that can happen? make sure to come back and update us.

by Anonymousreply 174September 18, 2021 9:04 PM

OK, I just got my Pfizer #3 at CVS. I had to lie about being immunocompromised (although I do have moderate kidney failure, high blood pressure, and am overweight), but they didn't care. I did ask about the "over 65" rule that was just implemented (I am 69) but they said vaccinating solely on age had not yet been approved by CVS officials.

by Anonymousreply 175September 18, 2021 9:31 PM

Forgot to mention -- I went to a CVS inside Target and they gave me a $5 coupon (off of a minimum $5 purchase) to use in Target. They probably do the same at standalone stores, but I'd rather have $5 to spend at Target than at CVS.

by Anonymousreply 176September 18, 2021 9:33 PM

Congrats R176!

by Anonymousreply 177September 18, 2021 9:41 PM

Target needs to bump that up a little. I mean, 5 dollars? So puny.

by Anonymousreply 178September 18, 2021 9:47 PM

At least it’s target.

$5 wouldn’t get you anything at CVS. Their prices should be illegal and should qualify as malicious price gouging.

by Anonymousreply 179September 18, 2021 9:48 PM

[quote] Body Mass index over 30 was an exception to the age-based roll out of the vaccines in the spring. That's a very... big... exception. It should cover most of you here when you want a booster.

That's insane. My BMI is 28.7 and I weigh 200 lbs even. (5'10") According to the BMI chart, that's considered overweight, but not obese. I would have to be 210 to have a BMI over 30.

by Anonymousreply 180September 18, 2021 10:03 PM

when does the flu season start? I need this shot.

by Anonymousreply 181September 18, 2021 10:44 PM

There are pro vax sheep 🐑 that would get a booster a week if allowed.

by Anonymousreply 182September 18, 2021 11:46 PM

Better to get vaccinated every day than to wear a mask forever and keep harping on people to “Mask UP!”

by Anonymousreply 183September 19, 2021 12:20 AM

But the vaccinated still have to wear masks . That’s the infuriating part

by Anonymousreply 184September 19, 2021 2:18 AM

I wish the FDA had approved the third booster for everyone. Now if I say I got it, everyone will no my age being 65 or older.

I may not tell anyone I got it because of the age thing.

Just give it to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 185September 19, 2021 3:03 AM

If people receive the third shot, will they still have to “mask UP!”? We cannot wear these fucking masks the rest of our lives. At a certain point, it has to stop. And no, trying to get 100% of people everywhere are vaccinated is not a real goal.

by Anonymousreply 186September 19, 2021 3:05 AM

I'll put my masters degree up against yours any time shithead at r168. When these deadly mRNA gene therapy "vaccines" cause you all sorts of health issues we will laugh the hardest. Its mind boggling how those crying over the "unvaccinated" cannot understand these are FACTS. This is a very dangerous thing to put in your body! The man who invented this type of "vaccine" said not to take it!

by Anonymousreply 187September 19, 2021 4:16 AM

After getting the third booster I'm not wearing a mask consistently anymore, fuck the unvaccinated, and people with cancer should be at home anyway. We can't wear the fucking masks forever. It's not my place to protect people who do not protect themselves.

by Anonymousreply 188September 19, 2021 4:24 AM

r188 Most places that have mask mandates aren't going to differentiate between vaccinated and unvaccinated people.

by Anonymousreply 189September 19, 2021 4:57 AM

[quote] When these deadly mRNA gene therapy "vaccines" cause you all sorts of health issues we will laugh the hardest.

Are any of the alleged "health issues" worse than dying of COVID-19?

by Anonymousreply 190September 19, 2021 4:57 AM

Thanks for that enlightening nonsequitur to my post, antivax troll R187. Be best slag!

by Anonymousreply 191September 19, 2021 5:47 AM

What about those who got the J & J ? Shit out of luck?

by Anonymousreply 192September 19, 2021 5:58 AM

I'll put my brain against your poor reading skills any day R187. These vaccines are not the virus. They do not cause "all these health effects." I'm no government shill: I firmly believe gays were deliberately given HIV in that new york hepatitis B vaccine. But you are ignoring the evidence.

by Anonymousreply 193September 19, 2021 6:08 AM

[quote] Personally I wait to accept anything as fact until I hear it from the lips of Father Fauci. That seems the safest bet, and requires the least amount of thought on my part.

Well, sweetie, you're in luck. Fauci endorsed the booster yesterday as was reported by the LA Times (among others).

by Anonymousreply 194September 19, 2021 8:15 AM

you can get a 2nd dose of J n J. I heard they said it provided great protection.

by Anonymousreply 195September 19, 2021 9:27 AM

[quote] everyone will no my age being 65 or older.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 196September 19, 2021 12:36 PM

For those asking about the Moderna booster and if you’ve gotten Moderna first can you get the Pfizer booster:

I saw a doctor on my local news saying that the Pfizer “booster” is the same strength and dosage as a regular shot. But because Moderna started with a higher dosage, their booster—if approved—will be a lesser dosage, not just another shot of the same. Also, that you should NOT mix the two to get a booster.

Just a heads up.

by Anonymousreply 197September 19, 2021 12:39 PM

The MSNBC crowd sees masking as a political solidarity symbol. So, good luck R186.

by Anonymousreply 198September 19, 2021 1:36 PM

Do you need to show your vaccine card and give personal info like the last time? Or do you just walk in and get it?

by Anonymousreply 199September 19, 2021 1:55 PM

of course you have to show ID

by Anonymousreply 200September 19, 2021 1:57 PM

🙊 Everybody Lies

by Anonymousreply 201September 19, 2021 7:27 PM

I had the booster injection at Walgreens on Friday night. Pfizer second dose was March and I am immunocompromised.

I slept a lot and my arm was very sore yesterday but today I feel fine. I think I'd involuntarily clenched up at injection, because the alcohol hadn't quite dried and it stung, which probably accounts for the soreness.

by Anonymousreply 202September 19, 2021 8:07 PM

r199, I had to show insurance and vaccination card but not ID.

by Anonymousreply 203September 19, 2021 8:09 PM

[quote]I'll put my masters degree up against yours any time shithead

Frist off, oh, dear. Second, a master's isn't a doctorate. You aren't a doctor, nor a scientist, and master's degree means nothing. You might as well tell us you have your GED.

by Anonymousreply 204September 19, 2021 8:28 PM

[Quote] you can get a 2nd dose of J n J. I heard they said it provided great protection.

Really? I've never heard this before. Where did you see/read this?

by Anonymousreply 205September 19, 2021 8:56 PM

R205

J&J Says A Booster Shot For Its Vaccine May Have Big Benefits

Johnson & Johnson says it has evidence that people who received its one-shot COVID-19 vaccine could benefit from a booster shot after six months.

The pharmaceutical giant said in a news release Wednesday that when it gave participants in a study a second jab of its coronavirus vaccine after six months, their antibody levels were nine times higher than 28 days after their first dose.

The data suggests that an additional shot might serve as a booster if the vaccine's effectiveness begins to wane.

"We have established that a single shot of our COVID-19 vaccine generates strong and robust immune responses that are durable and persistent through eight months," said Mathai Mammen, global head of Janssen Research & Development, Johnson & Johnson, in a statement.

"With these new data, we also see that a booster dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine further increases antibody responses among study participants who had previously received our vaccine," he added.

The data have not yet been published in a scientific journal or reviewed by other researchers.

Johnson & Johnson said it is planning to submit the results of the study to the Food and Drug Administration to help make a case for authorizing a booster for everyone who received the company's vaccine. The company said the study supports a strategy of giving a booster at eight months, even though in the study volunteers were given the second shot at six months.

The Biden administration has already announced plans to begin rolling out boosters in September for people who received the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines. People 18 years and older who got the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines will be eligible for a booster dose eight months after their second dose.

U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy previously said health officials were concerned about "waning immunity and the strength of the delta variant," the highly contagious strain driving a surge of new infections.

The World Health Organization has called on countries to delay their plans for booster shots until nations with lower vaccination rates can immunize more of their population.

Just over 14 million people have received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, the smallest share among the three vaccines being used in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Pfizer vaccine has been administered to more than 205 million people, and nearly 144 million have gotten the Moderna shot, the CDC said.

Several independent researchers said the finding would probably support giving people boosters with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. But they noted that with 17 volunteers, the study was relatively small. In addition, the study does not appear to have tested whether the increased antibodies would necessarily translate into increased protection in the real world.

"It would be reasonable to say that yes, have at least two doses of J&J, or have at least one more dose for those who had a single dose, including the option of having another J&J," said Saad Omer, a vaccine researcher at Yale. "It is pointing toward the utility of a second dose. I think that's reasonable."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206September 19, 2021 10:30 PM

Just made an appt for my Pfizer booster tomorrow. Easy.

The flu shot is my November ritual, every year during Thanksgiving week.

by Anonymousreply 207September 20, 2021 12:02 AM

I put my Californjia vaccine thing on my old phone and fuck all it did not transfer to my new phone.

by Anonymousreply 208September 20, 2021 3:19 AM

If I offer a bj can I just get one? I’m really good at sloppy, good bjs.

by Anonymousreply 209September 20, 2021 3:26 AM

I’m 65 and made an appointment at my local Walgreens for a booster shot. I self-identified as immunocompromised (I have arthritis) and received an appointment confirmation. When I showed up for the appointment, I was asked to complete and sign a checklist based on CDC specifications for immunocompromised persons —all extreme case scenarios. I couldn’t bring myself to lie and I left the pharmacy with my own elder gay variation of the walk of shame. I’ve been informed by reputable sources that we now have an overabundance of vaccines in the U.S. Pharmacies and other suppliers are forced to dispose of vaccines that have reached their “expiration date.” Since we are ostensibly unwilling to release the surplus to other countries in need, why are we unwilling to offer it to our own? (FYI: I received my second dose in February. My friends tell me that I should have gone to CVS.)

by Anonymousreply 210September 20, 2021 4:21 AM

I thought boosters were approved for those 65 and older r210.

by Anonymousreply 211September 20, 2021 4:52 AM

SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe SafeNotSafe

by Anonymousreply 212September 20, 2021 12:39 PM

I believe you're supposed to wait eight months?

by Anonymousreply 213September 20, 2021 12:47 PM

What about moderna? Should I try to get a booster after 8months?

by Anonymousreply 214September 20, 2021 12:57 PM

R214, what you should do is read any of the MILLIONS of articles about this published every day and decide for yourself. If you can't do that, just sit passively and wait for Anthony Fauci to officially tell you what to do.

The LAST thing you should be doing is taking medical advice from an anonymous message board.

by Anonymousreply 215September 20, 2021 1:00 PM

Here's the difference between getting antibodies with the vaccine and getting them "naturally". Getting antibodies with the vaccine means you are getting them alone. Getting antibodies "Naturally" (which is what many want) means getting them with the disease and all the great and possibly lasting damage it can do to your body that comes with it.

by Anonymousreply 216September 20, 2021 1:08 PM

🤔 But I thought DataLounge as the Supreme Authority on Anything & Everything?

by Anonymousreply 217September 20, 2021 1:11 PM

Dumb R216. Where'd you hear that?

The real difference is that with the vaccine you only have antibodies against spike proteins. Whereas with a "natural" immune response you get antibodies to spike proteins as well as all the other proteins that make up the virus. The current vaccines cause the ribosomes in your cells to start pumping out spike proteins, which are themselves a pathogen (which is why your immune system responds to them) so you are not exactly getting antibodies "alone".

by Anonymousreply 218September 20, 2021 4:29 PM

💉 Nobody Knows Nothin'Bout The Corona Booster Vaccine

by Anonymousreply 219September 20, 2021 5:52 PM

Why is 8 months after the second dose chosen as the amount of time lapsed for the booster? Why not 6 months or 1 year? I can’t find info on that.

by Anonymousreply 220September 21, 2021 4:06 AM

R220, see R219.

by Anonymousreply 221September 21, 2021 4:18 AM

I went into Walmart and got a third shot today. I lied and said it was my first. Ughh. She actually asked me why I had waited so long.

There was a mom with her three teenage sons who came in right behind me, and they were all there to get their first shot, so that's good to see.

by Anonymousreply 222September 21, 2021 7:42 PM

Is there some reason you couldn't wait?

by Anonymousreply 223September 21, 2021 8:38 PM

I could have waited, but I'm around little kids a couple of times each week, and who knows when they'll be eligible for the vaccine. I don't think there's any danger in getting a 3rd shot, and I don't want to risk giving covid to anyone else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224September 21, 2021 8:57 PM

Here's the right link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225September 21, 2021 8:58 PM

R222 don’t they ask for your name or enter anything into a database anymore?

by Anonymousreply 226September 21, 2021 9:25 PM

R222 Do you think there will be a problem when they enter this on your vaccination record?

by Anonymousreply 227September 22, 2021 2:28 AM

I really want a booster, but I don't want to lie in order to get it. I think lying about your health record could come back and bite you in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 228September 22, 2021 2:37 AM

I got my Pfizer booster today. Six months since second shot. I am 60 but am recovering from prostate cancer. No reaction yet.

by Anonymousreply 229September 22, 2021 6:30 AM

How are you doing today R229?

by Anonymousreply 230September 24, 2021 2:20 AM

She's dead.

by Anonymousreply 231September 24, 2021 2:33 AM

and you’re an idiot R231

by Anonymousreply 232September 24, 2021 2:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!