Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Movie matrons -- who remembers them?

I remember these middle-aged mostly women who were hired to be in movie theaters in the 1960s (maybe they were there before) so that little kids could go to the movies by themselves and their parents could get pretty much cheap babysitting services. Anybody else remember these experiences?

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2021 5:10 PM

I only remember prison matrons, doll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2021 6:24 PM

Article about movie matrons. Sorry that it's from the NY Post...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2021 6:35 PM

Maybe someone here was a movie matron?

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2021 7:59 PM

I have only known usherettes from that era. One worked the opening of the Ten Commandments. Her and the other usherettes were provided “slave girl” costumes. According to her, the manger and projectionist couldn’t handle it, and chased them around the balcony.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2021 8:29 PM

I can't believe that my parent left me alone in a movie theater when I was about 5 or 6 to watch a double feature of "Gypsy" and "The Music Man" when I guess movies still played in theaters for a number of years in second and third run theaters. Movie matrons were there until about 5:00 p.m. or so, with their big flashlights. That was a great double feature -- but long! "You can um, you can um, you can um, um, um" -- my father thought it was adorable when I sang this.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2021 9:03 PM

[quote]Her and the other usherettes were provided “slave girl” costumes.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2021 9:29 PM

[quote]I can't believe that my parent left me alone in a movie theater when I was about 5 or 6 to watch a double feature of "Gypsy" and "The Music Man"

Have you figured out that this was what made you gay?

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2021 9:29 PM

Her was, R4?

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2021 9:30 PM

I went into the Rogers Theater in Brooklyn on a sunny Saturday afternoon. Found the first seat I could find.

Suddenly, from behind a flashlight in my face I heard "How old are you? I said "Twenty-three." She screamed "Well get the hell outta the kiddie section." This movie house is now a church.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2021 9:57 PM

Her is

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2021 11:33 PM

Yep, there was indeed a kiddie section when there are movie matrons.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2021 11:34 PM

R7 Well, if made me want to play Harold Hill (and Rose), and I ended up being bi, but thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2021 11:35 PM

When I turned 13 I had to buy an adult ticket but still sit in the children’s section. One Saturday afternoon I was feeling rebellious and sat in the empty adult section. Ten minutes into American Graffiti one of those cunts flashed her light in my face and told me to move. I made a big scene, the manager was called and I got tossed out of the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2021 12:15 AM

Movie matrons had real power back in the day. They were tough broads, too.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2021 12:34 AM

Perhaps shockingly I have never heard of Movie Matrons. But then I grew up in a small town. I was a great moviegoer as a child (still am) and was allowed to go by myself from age 8 onwards. I look at that now and think how dangerous it was. Those were more trusting days.

OTOH, Daddy left me alone at age 5 in his car in an enormous industrial section of town on a weekend. A child molester/abductor was on the loose at that time. Was Daddy trying to tell me something?

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2021 12:39 AM

Were a lot of movie matrons lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 5:24 AM

I think it's a great idea! Let adults watch movies in peace. This reminds of a thread here from years ago about a restaurant from the 1960s in PA that had a no kids policy after 8pm.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 5:27 AM

When was the last time that theaters advertised kiddie matinees? I remember seeing things like "Snow White and Rose Red" which I think were Eastern European children's films dubbed into English. Also "Rumpelstiltskin", among other things.

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 2:53 PM

When was that era? My era of movie theaters didn't even have ushers there whatsoever, only metal detectors.

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 3:10 PM

I remember getting into 'R' movies alone at the mall cinemas. I was in my early teens watching Dressed To Kill; The Blue Lagoon; Bolero; Tarzan...

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 3:48 PM

Probably ended in the early to mid 70s...

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2021 4:12 PM

Born in 1976, I don't recall movie matrons, but I do recall when you could smoke in the theaters and there were ash trays at every seat.

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2021 5:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!