Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Apparently, GenZ clean their tables after eating out, and Boomers don't.

Should you clean your own table at a restaurant? That question is sparking a generational debate on TikTok, thanks to one customer’s viral video.

The clip, posted by user @sallymander_, claims to show the difference between a “Gen Z table” and a “boomer table.”

“Younger generation vs. older generation,” the TikToker captioned her clip.

In the video, @sallymander_ first shows a booth where the “younger generation” allegedly ate. The table is mostly cleaned off, with the plates and silverware stacked at the end for the waitstaff. She followed up in the video’s comments to explain that this was the table where she and her friends ate.

Next, @sallymander_ shows the “older” table, where plates and cups are still left in their original places.

The video is reminiscent of another viral TikTok from 2020. In that clip, a waitress compared how two tables — one with younger customers and the other with older diners — left their tables after eating.

”'They get paid to do that’ vs. ‘We know restaurant life is hard, here, let us help you out,'” the waitress captioned her TikTok.

Just like that video, @sallymander_ sparked a wide-spanning conversation in the comments section. Some users were surprised the younger diners left a cleaner table.

“If the clean table isn’t the older generation, I don’t know anything anymore,” one user wrote. “I’m 38 and I always do this.”

Other users argued that age has nothing to do with it.

“Stop blaming the generations and blame the way someone was raised,” one user wrote.

“It’s a respect thing,” another agreed.

Some commenters questioned whether or not stacking the plates was even helpful.

“I’ve had waiters tell me not to do this,” one user claimed.

“As a server, I genuinely don’t care [if you do this],” another added.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 23, 2021 8:57 PM

I clean always clean up my place after I'm done eating in a restaurant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2021 12:06 AM

I read from someone that did service that you're not supposed to do it because they have a way of stacking the plates properly.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2021 12:07 AM

Why aren’t the plates cleared before the cheese course?

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2021 12:08 AM

[quote] I read from someone that did service that you're not supposed to do it because they have a way of stacking the plates properly.

Maybe. But you can still wipe your eating area before they clear the plates.

Some people eat like P. I. G. HOGS.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2021 12:10 AM

I’m Gen X and always stack my dishes and put napkins, salt packets, etc on them.

Might just be an OCD thing. I like to think I’m being helpful.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2021 12:12 AM

Right, OP, because ONE example from Gen Z and ONE from Boomers is determinative.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2021 12:15 AM

R4 oh absolutely. I'm not sure how true that is, but they made a good argument that seemed logical. That was the first time I've ever heard that. It was under that post about a hotel guests stripping the beds. I'm torn on it because you do pay for more than dinner. You pay for the entire setting, including an expected 20%+ tip. Though, yes, that shouldn't mean to slob it up either.

Coincidentally I just stayed in an expensive room, where the owners left a list of chores to do before checking out. I've always been respectful by putting garbage away and making sure things were in place (like towels in one spot). It was a huge turn off to see a chore list though, with the threat of extra "cleaning" fees. Reminded me of the airbnb controversy, with huge fees being added, to do something the owner should do.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2021 12:15 AM

I doubt this is a valid argument.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2021 12:17 AM

R8 you mean the one someone wrote on here right? I'm hoping the person comes across this and comments again. I'm definitely not defending being a pig by bringing it up. I just found it to be an interesting take I've never came across before., especially since I'm a plate stacker as well.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2021 12:21 AM

Well if it’s on TikTok it has to be true and valid.

🙄

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2021 12:28 AM

Every inhabitable space is a TikTok movie set for Gen Z. That is the far greater crime. "Look at us! Look at how much better we are! Give us all the LIKES!" A boomer could take a dump on the tip tray and it would still be better than Gen Z's tired virtue signaling.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2021 12:29 AM

R2 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2021 12:38 AM

Same, R5.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2021 12:41 AM

I'm not Gen Z, but as a former waiter during college years, I do this, and like R5, there might be a little OCD mixed in there as well.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2021 12:43 AM

I’m Gen X and I eat at restaurants that clear the table before the check is delivered.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2021 12:47 AM

R15 yup. The only thing that should be left on the table are water glasses, their drink if they’re not done, and a teaspoon.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2021 12:49 AM

What sort of restaurant are they talking about? Of course I would "bus my own table" at a cafeteria or fast-food restaurant. When you eat in a place like that, it's your job to do so.

Of course I don't do any such thing in a table-service restaurant because that's someone else's job. I'm quite serious about this. Why would you do that? If you had a maid, would you help her clean the bathroom? Do you help the mechanic at your garage as he's changing your oil?

Those of you who do clean your tables in table-service restaurants, do you do it everywhere, even in very expensive, fancy-night-out restaurants? That's ... astonishing. I can't imagine how the staff at someplace like Del Friso's would react except to assume you had never eaten in an upscale restaurant before.

As for depending on how one was brought up, I suspect it has to do with whether your family routinely ate in table-service restaurants or if your youthful experience of restaurants consisted of Happy Meals. At a deeper level, it depends on whether you were brought up to feel comfortable being served and recognizing that service jobs are jobs like any other; or, on the one hand, or to think of service jobs as demeaning and thus mandating obsessive egalitarianism from you so the server doesn't feel bad.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2021 12:49 AM

R17: TL; DR

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2021 12:55 AM

Aha, R16! I think you've got it. That's the only kind of restaurant I sit in to eat. Otherwise, I get carryout.

The plates are cleared, any obviously food detritus cleaned up, and then I'm asked if I want coffee or dessert. If not, the check is offered. Often, not always, different people clear the table and offer dessert. Most restaurants I eat in have busboys to do the former and keep water glasses full. *

*That is, before the pandemic this was true. Nowadays, there's such a labor shortage that waiters are also bussing tables.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2021 12:55 AM

R18: Don't; care

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2021 12:56 AM

My parents never left tips. As an adult it was embarrassing, so I'd leave some money as they walked away from the table. We finally just started going to Wendy's.

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2021 12:57 AM

[quote] What sort of restaurant are they talking about?

I'm going to assume if teenagers are eating out there, it's not fine dining.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2021 12:58 AM

What R17 said

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2021 12:59 AM

As usual, Generation X is completely ignored in yet another generational debate. And we are fine with that. Don't drag us into your endless shit.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2021 1:11 AM

[quote] Don't drag us into your endless shit.

I think you just did.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2021 1:13 AM

I imagine they are talking about diners and places like Friendly’s. And anyone who has ever bussed tables you know it’s a pain when people put their napkins (cloth or paper, and other paper like sugar packets) on the plates. There are separate bins for each type of dish and you have to separate the napkins/trash. Leave your napkins on the table and they will be removed when the table is wiped down or the tablecloth is changed.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2021 1:13 AM

Why are Zoomers so obsessed with what older people do? I don't remember caring so much when I was their age

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2021 1:25 AM

So we’re supposed to tip 25% AND do the job of the wait staff?

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2021 1:26 AM

[quote] Why are Zoomers so obsessed with what older people do? I don't remember caring so much when I was their age

Okay, Boomer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2021 1:27 AM

^Gen Z and X aren't exactly exhibiting a Wildean level of wit, are they? Their one riposte seems to be "Okay, Boomer." How devastatingly clever!

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2021 1:43 AM

I always clear the plates to one end of the table

...before I wipe my ass on it.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2021 1:46 AM

It's revolting, not to mention noisy, to stack your own used plates at a restaurant table. Good lord, it's crass.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2021 1:48 AM

[quote] It's revolting, not to mention noisy, to stack your own used plates at a restaurant table. Good lord, it's crass.

Gen Z are either in school, or recently out of school.

So they're used to bussing and cleaning their tables.

R32 on the other hand, hasn't been in school for at least 80 years, which would explain why she's so crotchety.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2021 1:51 AM

Your comment makes no sense, R33. Whether you're used to bussing tables or not has nothing to do with whether it's proper to do so.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2021 1:58 AM

What R15 and R17 said. I've never heard of or seen this before, except at cafeterias and fast food places. In the unlikely event that there are still dishes and the like on the table when you leave, you let the staff clear them up their own way.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2021 2:03 AM

You create more work for workers when you stack. There are procedures in place for bringing place servings and glassware back to the kitchen. Restaurant workers know how to distribute the weight properly.

The only time I stack something is when I need to make room on the table.

If you want to show your appreciation, tip well.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2021 2:09 AM

My husband is millennial and I’m X and my husband almost always cleared. I had never seen this until we started dating. I think I finally broke him of this habit. Let’s not break the server’s rhythm with some demonstration of solidarity. Not everyone needs to be friends.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2021 2:11 AM

Oh, R17, I couldn't have said it better myself. This is exactly right:

[quote] At a deeper level, it depends on whether you were brought up to feel comfortable being served and recognizing that service jobs are jobs like any other; or, on the one hand, or to think of service jobs as demeaning and thus mandating obsessive egalitarianism from you so the server doesn't feel bad.

I know someone who is like this to people working at service jobs, and it comes off as obsequious.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2021 2:11 AM

It depends how wasted I am. And I'm not going to cut a hand if there's a lot of broken glass on the table.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2021 2:11 AM

Do Gen Z black people tip well?

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2021 2:13 AM

I tidy up a bit just because I’m embarrassed if I’ve made a bit of a mess but I never clean up my tables in a restaurant. I once worked as a busboy so I know it off best left to the restaurant staff.

But I do clean up when I’m at a place that serves on disposable dishes using self service trays, which for me is at airport eateries. I’ve had staff look at me funny - but appreciatively.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2021 2:15 AM

This is like those OCD freaks who strip a hotel bed "to help the maid". She doesn't want you to do that, dumbassses! And the waiter and busboy do not want your stupid stacking!

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2021 2:15 AM

R17 R38 ditto

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2021 2:16 AM

I'd think tipping is more appreciated than anything.

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2021 2:20 AM

What a lot of hooey. Just remember to tip well, whether at a restaurant, for housekeeping at a hotel, or your delivery person on a delivery.

by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2021 2:21 AM

What's next? Paying the restaurant for the pleasure of cooking the food yourself? Better yet, bring your own ingredients and pots and pans and don't forget to leave a tip for the staff who watched you do everything?

by Anonymousreply 46September 17, 2021 2:21 AM

No server, no manager, no owner and no restaurant would think it wise or wanted for guests to stack their dishes. It insults good establishment. It also is an embarrassment for any of the "helpful" youngsters who think it is racist or demeaning to women not to "clean up," not that they seem to notice. And of course no one who works at a restaurant would correct a guest. Therefore the dolts think they are standing for social justice.

This may not apply to the dormitories, disordered households, faux diners, sad roommate situations or co-op named "Ragin' Vegan" where GenZs eat, but at real grown-up restaurants you permit the staff to do their jobs and, in the USA, tip appropriately.

Also, it IS polite not to leave your table and the floor and walls around it a disaster area. The pigs are the real issue (You know who you are, members of the Free Range African Methodist Episcopal Church Altar Guild, Frauen with two unruly children, and ladies in general. Compared to them, dumbshit plate stackers are nothing.

by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2021 2:22 AM

People who clean up the table do so because they don't want to leave a generous tip. Boomers are messy but they tip well.

by Anonymousreply 48September 17, 2021 2:23 AM

The last waiter I gave a REALLY good tip to, I mean beyond the call of duty, was just genuinely very pleasant when I told him how amazingly good the French fries were. This wasn't a formal place, but not cheap either, and when I told him how much I liked the fries he pulled a chair up to our table and started explaining how they were done. It seemed very off the cuff and nice, and he didn't wear out his welcome, either.

by Anonymousreply 49September 17, 2021 2:28 AM

Then he spread his legs and you blew him under the table?

by Anonymousreply 50September 17, 2021 2:30 AM

^I don't remember his level of attractiveness.

by Anonymousreply 51September 17, 2021 2:39 AM

It's better if ppl just leave the plates and the table alone after eating. It's annoying to have a change in where the dishes are. Much simpler to have the stuff scattered. It's a very simple job. Or else Millennials would not be patting their backs for stacking 4 plates 🙄

by Anonymousreply 52September 17, 2021 2:58 AM

R49, did he peer deeply into you with his crystal-green eyes as he described, in his tantalizing baritone, the secrets behind McDonald's pommes frites, including how they're made with frozen [italic]Russets[/italic]?

Do tell.

by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2021 3:13 AM

Maybe customers should carry a scuzzy old wash rag in a zip-lock bag and smear the table after they've taken the stacked dirty dishes to the kitchen. And remember to refill those salt and pepper canisters if they are getting low. And maybe see if any of the staff want a foot rub.

by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2021 1:13 PM

I just tip them

by Anonymousreply 55September 17, 2021 1:15 PM

I was a waiter, I cringed every time someone stacked their own plates, it either meant they'd scraped all the food into one plate that looked disgusting, or that they'd left food and napkins on the plates and it was more work for me to unstack them and clean them. Don't even get me started on the people who put utensils in the cups, they were always off balance and would tip over, causing a mess.

They usually only did it when they were in a hurry. Almost every table I had got their plates removed before they got the check.

I tip well, I'm not going to be told I'm an old person who doesn't respect waitstaff just because of this clickbait article.

by Anonymousreply 56September 17, 2021 1:17 PM

That is because GenZ leaves no or horrible tips.

by Anonymousreply 57September 17, 2021 1:20 PM

[quote]What's next? Paying the restaurant for the pleasure of cooking the food yourself?

I actually griped about this once in a DL thread, after having to do this at a Japanese restaurant in Boston, and another poster came after me for my lack of sophistication. Apparently it's a regular thing, with a Japanese name that I don't remember now. Sorry, my own efforts at boiling their raw chicken and vegetables in the seething broth provided weren't worth the price of the meal. I guess there were condiments, though. Curiously, the ingredients took a long time to arrive after we ordered and I was starving by the time I dunked them—maybe the delay was supposed to make it all more special?

by Anonymousreply 58September 17, 2021 1:24 PM

If you buy hot pot, you cook your own food, r58.

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2021 1:25 PM

I had a coworker who felt those Asian hotpot places were cook-it-yourself ripoffs.

by Anonymousreply 60September 17, 2021 1:33 PM

My dad never allowed us to leave a mess at the table. We had to wipe up what dripped on the table and not leave it like a pigsty. When we were kids, him and my mom didn't leave a mess on the floor like other parents. My sister and her husband do the same. Just common courtesy my dad would say.

by Anonymousreply 61September 17, 2021 1:37 PM

Yeah, someone else in my group picked out the restaurant and, not knowing about this cook-your-own phenomenon, I thought I was just in for some sashimi, miso, etc. It was definitely a ripoff, if you consider paying restaurant prices for something you could do better in your own kitchen in 10 minutes a ripoff.

by Anonymousreply 62September 17, 2021 1:40 PM

This is so dumb and so contrived for views. Taking a handful of examples and applying it to the entire population? WOW, you really are smart Gen Z! And compassionate!

I've seen plenty of Gen Z'ers walk right over a homeless person without ever looking away from their phone for a millisecond. Sooooo compassionate to the plight of others they are!

by Anonymousreply 63September 17, 2021 1:46 PM

If you want to be restaurant help, clean the table.

Otherwise, leave it for the restaurant help.

In any event, it's not about the restaurant help and don't let them make it about themselves.

It's about the owner of the restaurant. The owner got paid for the meal. The owner needs to staff properly to run the restaurant. No one should pay for the meal and bus the table, too. You already paid for that service when you bought the effing meal.

by Anonymousreply 64September 17, 2021 1:55 PM

I think it is rather cringe to clean the table for the waiter. Reminds me of when Maude hired her housekeeper (was that Florida?) and tried to clean the house for her out of shame.

Let people do the job they are paid to do. They know what they are doing. If you want to show solidarity then leave a tip.

by Anonymousreply 65September 17, 2021 1:55 PM

It's a sort of OCD thing for me to do it.

by Anonymousreply 66September 17, 2021 2:02 PM

The only time I would think of stacking plates is when the waiter has abandoned the table and left a table full of dirty plates - I will stack and push aside if they are in my way or I am tired of looking at them

by Anonymousreply 67September 17, 2021 2:07 PM

I miss the days when I could smoke at the table and flick the ashes onto my sticky plate.

by Anonymousreply 68September 17, 2021 2:16 PM

Any restaurant with properly trained wait staff will be clearing plates from the table during the meal anyway to keep the table from becoming cluttered.

by Anonymousreply 69September 17, 2021 2:59 PM

Subservient mentality. It's why they do everything they are told by the media and the Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 70September 17, 2021 3:04 PM

[quote]Any restaurant with properly trained wait staff will be clearing plates from the table during the meal anyway to keep the table from becoming cluttered.

Of course. But when they don't for whatever reason, I may stack them at one side of the table to clear some space and tidy up a bit for my comfort; that's the only time I would ever stack plates. I'm not trying to admonish or to make a point to the waiters, and if I've had the chance I will have already asked politely if they could be cleared. I assume they are busy or they would have seen to it. Should I only go to approved restaurants that have properly trained staff who never miss a beat? Or should I make a stink about improper training? Maybe the "for the amount of money I'm paying" line?

It's not a huge deal (nor is it very professional of the restaurant) but it happens, in simple places and in places where the price and reputation would suggest faultless food and service. But who wants to sit around staring at the food remnants left on the plates they finished with 20+ minutes ago?

by Anonymousreply 71September 17, 2021 3:15 PM

Don’t worry, Generation Alpha will not just clean their tables, but they will go straight to the restaurant kitchen, cook their own food, serve it, and do their own dishes. Of course they will tip every employee on their way out, and maybe even mop the floors!

by Anonymousreply 72September 17, 2021 3:41 PM

Some low life scumbag gets paid slave wages to do that, so fuck no, we'd never clear tables!

by Anonymousreply 73September 17, 2021 3:48 PM

I think there can be a happy medium that doesn't require doing the waiter's job. For example, I've seen some people leave disaster areas on there table as if there were ravenous sows at the table, but there is no need for stacking either.

There already is a proper and organized way to place your plate, silverware, and napkin after eating so it makes it easier for the waiter and it isn't stacking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 17, 2021 3:50 PM

And eventually young diners-out will interrupt their own conversations to ask "How is everything here?" and "Need a refill?" thus rendering the waitstaff redundant.

by Anonymousreply 75September 17, 2021 3:53 PM

Now if we could just get GenZ to clean their fucking bedrooms.

by Anonymousreply 76September 17, 2021 3:59 PM

^Your squibs seem a little damp. Maybe try drying them out.

by Anonymousreply 77September 17, 2021 4:06 PM

R58 Sounds like you had shabu shabu. You don't pay for the service at Asian restaurants, you pay for the high quality ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 78September 17, 2021 4:10 PM

After a meal in a restaurant I like to gather the material and WIPE MY ASS .

by Anonymousreply 79September 17, 2021 4:11 PM

What would Chrissy Metz do?

by Anonymousreply 80September 17, 2021 4:15 PM

Oh goody. More dumb, pointless, generational clickbait bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 81September 17, 2021 4:24 PM

So, R78, the actual preparation and cooking of the meal counts as "service"? Since the quality of the ingredients is only the most elementary aspect of a dish, you're better off saving your money if a cooked meal is at issue.

by Anonymousreply 82September 17, 2021 4:28 PM

[quote] Apparently it's a regular thing, with a Japanese name that I don't remember now

It's shabu shabu, Sheba.

by Anonymousreply 83September 17, 2021 4:37 PM

I've never stacked plates or did anything close to what I saw in the pics.

However, I do try to tidy things up a bit and put used items on the plate.

I'm not sure how safe this is anyway - what about food that's left on there and makes the stacked plates wobbly?

Or worse - now there will be pranksters who look like they stacked the plates, but have rigged them to all fall down. That's what is next with TikTok - another 'prank' to fuck over some server.

by Anonymousreply 84September 17, 2021 4:43 PM

I'm sure the restaurants are thrilled at the prospect of these children breaking their tableware.

This is beyond ridiculous. Other than a fast food place or a cafeteria, you do not stack dirty tableware. You let the professionals clear the table in the most efficient, hygienic, and safest manner. Let the professionals do their job. I'm sure they don't realize it but beyond being obnoxious, they are being condescending to the wait staff.

Why would you listen to children anyway? Isn't the oldest GenZer still in their early 20s? If they think this makes them virtuous then those helicopter parents did a poor job.

by Anonymousreply 85September 17, 2021 4:54 PM

GenZ...a bunch of show offs.

by Anonymousreply 86September 17, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote] But then I'm not averse to blowing even the unattractive.

*frantically waves at r51!*

by Anonymousreply 87September 17, 2021 5:01 PM

[quote] I've seen some people leave disaster areas on there table

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 88September 17, 2021 5:02 PM

If Gen Z only spent half as much time washing their stinky feet and crotches!

by Anonymousreply 89September 17, 2021 5:03 PM

Gen Z seems awfully interested in presenting the perfect persona to the outside world. It’s what they live for, likes, retweet’s and followers. Never mind that they cannot tolerate criticism or feedback without complaining about equality or micro aggressions. It’s a generation concerned with nothing more than looking the part without playing the part.

by Anonymousreply 90September 17, 2021 5:15 PM

GenZ-ers do make good bussers.

by Anonymousreply 91September 17, 2021 5:29 PM

[quote]I think there can be a happy medium that doesn't require doing the waiter's job.

There shouldn't have to be.

by Anonymousreply 92September 17, 2021 5:35 PM

And Xers and Millennials don’t eat.

by Anonymousreply 93September 17, 2021 5:37 PM

I don't make a mess when I eat.

by Anonymousreply 94September 17, 2021 5:41 PM

This behavior reminds of the fools who ignore traffic laws and right-of-way rules in order to “be generous” to other drivers.

by Anonymousreply 95September 17, 2021 6:06 PM

Do they lick their plates?

by Anonymousreply 96September 17, 2021 6:07 PM

Nope, just the windows.

by Anonymousreply 97September 17, 2021 6:35 PM

[quote] GenZ-ers do make good bussers.

Don't think I've ever kissed one?

by Anonymousreply 98September 17, 2021 6:47 PM

R90 Yeah! Aren't the old folks supposed to be the ones moralizing and tut-tutting while the youngsters (GenZ) are rebelling and smoking cigarettes? I feel like it's been inverted where Gen Z believes they're some twisted breed of Puritans whose role in life is to teach the unclean the errors of their ways.

What a bunch of annoying little fuckfaces.

by Anonymousreply 99September 17, 2021 7:27 PM

I hope Gen Z falls down a well. All of them. At the same time.

by Anonymousreply 100September 17, 2021 7:28 PM

I’m Gen X and know a Boomer who doesn’t see anything wrong with leaving empty popcorn containers, candy wrappers, and drink cups under the seats at movie theaters: “They pay people to clean up after me.”

by Anonymousreply 101September 17, 2021 8:58 PM

R101 maybe they used to do that in the old 1950s theaters?

by Anonymousreply 102September 17, 2021 9:02 PM

R53 You don't seem all that bright. Where did you get the idea it was a McDonald's?

by Anonymousreply 103September 17, 2021 11:10 PM

R102 That’s probably it. The Boomer’s kids were horrified and mentioned that there were trash bins on the way out. But maybe not in the 50s?

by Anonymousreply 104September 17, 2021 11:15 PM

Where are these people eating that the plates aren't cleared when the meals are finished? I don't leave a mess, but the plates and silverware are cleared away before I leave the table. No one wants to linger after dinner surrounded by dirty dishes.

by Anonymousreply 105September 18, 2021 12:24 AM

But GenZ too busy vandalizing their schools and publishing results online.

by Anonymousreply 106September 18, 2021 1:34 AM

[quote] Where are these people eating that the plates aren't cleared when the meals are finished?

People can get extremely ornery about when servers ask if/when they can collect their plates.

by Anonymousreply 107September 18, 2021 4:07 AM

Stacking dishes at the end of the table is absolutely bad form and improper etiquette. It shows a person to be a hick. Its the equivalent of grabbing the plate out of the server's hand and proclaiming "I'll get that honey" before they set it down. It reveals that you have no idea how to graciously be attended to in a dining situation.

by Anonymousreply 108September 18, 2021 4:23 AM

Maybe it's a foreign thing, but everywhere I eat the waiter/waitress takes everything away before you pay the bill, so this seems weird to me. Unless you are just having coffee, but then there wouldn't be plates to stack ...????

by Anonymousreply 109September 18, 2021 4:50 AM

No.

by Anonymousreply 110September 18, 2021 4:51 AM

[quote]Stacking dishes at the end of the table is absolutely bad form and improper etiquette. It shows a person to be a hick. Its the equivalent of grabbing the plate out of the server's hand and proclaiming "I'll get that honey" before they set it down.

No. If a more than reasonable time was allowed for the removal of the plates by the restaurant staff, it shows that a person is tired of waiting for the waiters or other staff to do their fucking jobs.

[quote]It reveals that you have no idea how to graciously be attended to in a dining situation.

It reveals the ungraciousness of the restaurant in whisking away souled plates more than it reveals anything unbecoming of its customers. No one in that situation is trying to usurp anything from a waiter; they're just tired of looking at used plates.

The Jenga stacking of plates by young people thinking they are helping the world is another matter altogether.

(

by Anonymousreply 111September 18, 2021 8:07 AM

*soiled

by Anonymousreply 112September 18, 2021 8:08 AM

I worked at the original location of Yonny Yonson's in Bellevue, Washington. One night a few Pro Union Activists came in and pow-wowed with us workers about the evils of non-union slave waging, blah blah blah. I sensed a smug hollow hubris to them. Instead of clearing off their table, they left all their shit for us to clean up.

by Anonymousreply 113September 18, 2021 10:06 AM

That's job creation, R101. What? You would take a job away from someone?

If the cinema owners wanted patrons to clean up after themselves, they would but little trash cans on the end of each row, or perhaps build them into the seat backs.

Theater owners deciding not to clean their own establishments is none of my concern.

by Anonymousreply 114September 18, 2021 12:35 PM

R114 So the trash barrels near the doors to each cinema are for… employees?

by Anonymousreply 115September 18, 2021 2:03 PM

No, R115. They are there for the convenience of customers who want to use a trash receptacle.

They do not create an obligation on the customers to transmute themselves into janitors.

by Anonymousreply 116September 18, 2021 2:07 PM

R113 Pow-wowed with you? You fucking racist. Why not say they niggered with us all night, too. Fucker.

by Anonymousreply 117September 18, 2021 2:12 PM

R114 is just being a troll. Only an asshole troll leaves their junk under the seats at movie theaters.

by Anonymousreply 118September 18, 2021 2:24 PM

[quote]So the trash barrels near the doors to each cinema are for… employees?

R115, I've never been to a cinema where the management didn't send someone around to collect any rubbish left behind and to sweep and tidy up a bit between showings.

The staff are also looking for spills and anything that needs attention, things that would not be 100% solved by having trash bins near the doors to each screening room, unless you stuck a mop up every customer's ass and had them clean the floor on the way out.

by Anonymousreply 119September 18, 2021 2:26 PM

The staff shouldn't have to clean up things that customers can toss out themselves as they leave the theater. Are we supposed to just leave our trash in parks and on beaches, at rest stops and concert halls, just because they have custodial staff?

by Anonymousreply 120September 18, 2021 2:30 PM

[quote]The staff shouldn't have to clean up things that customers can toss out themselves

That makes no sense. The theater owner owns the theater. It's his. Or hers. It's a huge investment. It's up to the owner to maintain and improve his investment.

I'm old. I remember back in the day, after every screening, the theater was swept. That was absolutely common. The theaters were clean and the experience was pleasant. That practice was abandoned and now when you go into a movie theater, unless it's a theater showing foreign or independent film, the floor is filthy and trash is everywhere.

The problem is not the that there are no trash receptacles. The problem is that theater owners no longer do anything to make the experience pleasant. No one stops cell phone use. No one stops people talking. No one cleans the floor of the fucking auditorium. All of this is the job of the theater owner. Relieving the owner of that responsibility does not make the experience of attending a movie more pleasant for anyone. Except the theater owner.

Do you clean the bathrooms, too, R120? You could. To your way of thinking, perhaps you should.

by Anonymousreply 121September 18, 2021 2:45 PM

You have your popcorn or candy or drink in your hand. You retain them and toss the containers as you exit. It does not follow that you should then also grab a mop and cleaning supplies and help clean the bathroom, vacuum the floor, etc., however you wish to hyperbolize.

by Anonymousreply 122September 18, 2021 3:28 PM

[quote] unless you stuck a mop up every customer's ass

Ooooh, oooooh which movie theater does this?

by Anonymousreply 123September 18, 2021 3:30 PM

R122, no one is telling you that you can't carry out the trash, if you want to. Go ahead. Clean the whole theater, if you want.

But it is not enough. If the owner does not clean properly, the place looks like a dump and people feel free to trash it. And they do. That's just a fact. An obvious fact.

by Anonymousreply 124September 18, 2021 3:35 PM

R120 Do you understand how theaters work, you fucking moron. They have dedicated staff for clean up after every movie. Do you really think they'd hire no one to do that job, stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 125September 18, 2021 3:55 PM

I wish I could afford to go out to eat.

by Anonymousreply 126September 18, 2021 3:57 PM

Eat?

by Anonymousreply 127September 18, 2021 4:14 PM

[quote] [R122], no one is telling you that you can't carry out the trash, if you want to. Go ahead. Clean the whole theater, if you want.

Again with this weird slippery slope.

by Anonymousreply 128September 18, 2021 4:30 PM

I'm a college prof. The college boys are not prima donna and can take criticism. I get problem cases occasionally. Every year I get a few college girls per semester who do NOT want critical feedback from a male prof. I always give constructive and valid feedback using the best methods of doing so and I don't even fail them (which would be career suicide). This is on continuous assessment so long before the exam. But a couple per semester are PISSED to be shown their shoddy work.

In general its middle class kids who can't take it. Rich kids brush it off, and poor kids have "learned how to say please and thank you" to get opportunities, such as making it to university.

by Anonymousreply 129September 18, 2021 4:31 PM

R128, you do not seem to know what a 'slippery slope' argument is.

Just tote the garbage. You do it so well.

by Anonymousreply 130September 18, 2021 4:33 PM

R129 I'm not surprised. Gen Z females have to be the most annoying creatures on earth.

by Anonymousreply 131September 18, 2021 4:34 PM

It may seem lazy but theaters create no space for you to discard your trash - they didn't even have something as simple as a cup holder. So, believe it or not, yes the theaters expected you to just put your trash on the floor and it would get cleaned up regularly.

They did not expect you to hold your trash (empty cups, popcorn bags, candy wrappers etc) throughout your viewing of the film for heaven's sake. And, no, they also didn't expect you to then later pick up your trash and bring it to a receptacle. I am seriously wondering where this servant mentality is coming from. I don't even think they put trash receptacles inside the theater. They need to be accessed regularly and that would disrupt the show.

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2021 4:48 PM

The trash is only in the theater because the owner sold it to the customers the moment they entered the building and released it to them to carry all over the place.

The owner profits from this practice. Cleaning up after it is part of the job of selling it in the first place.

If the owner objected to cleaning it up, none of that garbage would be trucked into the building every day. It's all there at the owner's instigation.

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2021 5:02 PM

This is a trans issue.

by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2021 5:09 PM

^lmao

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2021 9:01 PM

R127 is the lamest fucking troll on here. None of her stupid posts have been funny. Time to change your persona there, missy.

by Anonymousreply 136September 19, 2021 1:28 AM

It seems as if it's very difficult for some posters to not leave garbage for someone else to clean up and have never worked in the service industry or held a job where they appreciated the common courtesy of a customer or client. Yes, you're paying someone to do it. But probably not enough for you to take that job yourself.

by Anonymousreply 137September 19, 2021 2:41 PM

R137, you are being ridiculous. What are you even trying to say? Some posters understand what the service industry actually means. Some posters have actually held service industry jobs themselves or managed or owned businesses in the service industry. Some posters know that when you go to a restaurant you do not assume to take on the job of the service staff and yes that includes how to clean up the table. You are not dining out to help out the staff - except via your tips - you are dining out to be waited on and served. See how that works. The price of the food includes the service. They are called waiters because they wait on you. They are called service people because their entire job is to serve you, the paying customer.

This is nothing more than ignorant virtue signaling. I swear, can't take some of you people anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 138September 19, 2021 6:11 PM

Boomers are too busy talking loudly on their speakerphone to clear their table.

by Anonymousreply 139September 19, 2021 6:14 PM

I heard that boomers have acid for blood and people from GenZ piss diamonds.

by Anonymousreply 140September 19, 2021 6:16 PM

[quote] I swear, can't take some of you people anywhere.

Says the person who ostentatiously leaves under his set for the cleaner an empty popcorn tub that he could drop in a trash can on his way out.

by Anonymousreply 141September 19, 2021 6:17 PM

People who use "virtual signalling" assume that every act of kindness is a self-serving facade. Basically they're shitty people and they falsely assume everyone else is shitty like them. Looking at you r138.

by Anonymousreply 142September 19, 2021 6:18 PM

R117 is a moronic troll.

by Anonymousreply 143September 19, 2021 6:23 PM

r138, Most service people are underpaid. So don't be an asshole and leave a big mess for them to clean up. Get it now?

By the way, no one wants you to take them anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 144September 19, 2021 6:36 PM

R142, you clearly have no clue what the phrase "virtue signaling" means. It has little to do with acts of kindness. It has to do with advertising your alleged acts of kindness and weaponizing it against others. Often without understanding how your purported "kindness" isn't real kindness at all.

by Anonymousreply 145September 19, 2021 8:29 PM

"No housekeeping!"

by Anonymousreply 146September 19, 2021 9:16 PM

Sure, R145, throwing away one's own empty food containers on the way out of the theater is only "purported kindness." The real kindness is to leave it there and give extra work for the cleaners.

by Anonymousreply 147September 19, 2021 9:36 PM

R147, this thread was about stacking dishes on a table somehow naively thinking that helps the wait staff. It doesn't.

The issue with theaters is separate because historically and even today there are no receptacles easily accessible to discard waste during the film. Bitch at the theater owners who could have come up with something by now.

by Anonymousreply 148September 19, 2021 11:33 PM

[quote]Most service people are underpaid. So don't be an asshole and leave a big mess for them to clean up. Get it now?

I get it. You don't, R144. Just do their jobs for them. When you do, their job will be eliminated and then they won't be paid at all. And one of the people not eliminated from the payroll will now have to clean the fucking theater as part of her job. For no extra money. That's how it works. That's how it always works.

A building open to the public requires daily maintenance. NO ONE in the public pays to enter that business to clean it.

by Anonymousreply 149September 20, 2021 12:55 PM

r149, Oh, okay. You're absolutely right. You win. I'll leave my trash under my seat from now on.

by Anonymousreply 150September 20, 2021 3:14 PM

[quote]no receptacles easily accessible to discard waste during the film

The posters acting like no one has ever thrown their trash in the garbage on the way out after the film—there are always trash cans by the doors or in the corridors—and pretending that there's some continuity between throwing away your empty containers and actually cleaning the theater must be dropping in from Mars. Otherwise, R150, they're trolls; don't engage. Obviously there will always be a job for people vacuuming etc. in the theaters even if ever audience member tosses out their own personal garbage.

by Anonymousreply 151September 20, 2021 3:45 PM

R150, I don’t get that, either. I’m 55, have lived is several states, and can’t remember a theater that didn’t have trash cans near the doors.

by Anonymousreply 152September 20, 2021 4:05 PM

^Sorry, that was for r151.

by Anonymousreply 153September 20, 2021 4:06 PM

My local theater (privately owned, which is a a rarity these days) has the custodial crew in the aisles with trash bags as soon as the credits start to roll. People can dump their garbage on the way out. The crew can then make a quick sweep of the theater before the next showing starts.

by Anonymousreply 154September 20, 2021 4:22 PM

R150 You are complete fucking brain-dead trash.

by Anonymousreply 155September 20, 2021 4:37 PM

R151, I think think problem might arise in a crowded theater, where there's no place but the floor to put your popcorn tub because the seats beside you are occupied. No one wants to sit there for two hours holding a greasy popcorn tub. Having put it on the floor during the movie, you should pick it up and carry it to the trash can at the exit when you leave, but some people forget. Or "forget". Deliberately leaving it behind is like leaving your tray and trash on the table in McDonalds. It's rude, but it's not the worst sin in the world.

The difference between McDonalds or your local multiplex and a table-service restaurant is expectation: You are expected to discard your own trash in fast-food restaurants and theaters, whereas regular restaurants expect to do that for you.

by Anonymousreply 156September 21, 2021 12:06 AM

Exactly, R156. What people are expected to do and what they do are not in perfect harmony. As far as I can recall, cinemas have mostly provided waste bins so that customers may discard their trash on exiting — and cinema owners have also realized that for the appearance and comfort on customers they must send staff to clean the cinemas between each showing. Many people carry their trash out and toss it in a bin outside the room; others do not, and so it's been for my 60 years on earth, in cinemas in different countries. In some American multiplexes the place to discard your rubbish is less obvious, or farther from the exit doors than is convenient or wise, or even stuck in odd places so that an exiting customer has to pass through a busy concessions area to toss something into a bin.

In fast-food restaurants in some countries the tables are cleaned by staff, quickly and efficiently and thoroughly (with bottles of spray cleaner to disinfect surfaces and clean away the greasy smear of the last bunch) so that the next customers to use it have a properly clean table; the idea that it wouldn't be is as foreign an idea as the idea that you shouldn't cart your own trash away would be for an American — and yet not all do. Every American knows he should clean up his own mess at a table in a fast-food restaurant, and yet not every American does. The restaurant has to detail employees to cleaning up tables that were left a mess, to sweeping and mopping the floors, to spritzing a little disinfectant on the tables and seats every third Thursday or so, and to cleaning the toilets and replacing the toilet paper. Self-service restaurants are never fully self-service. And cinemas the same.

What one ought to do, what one is expected to do, what one thinks he is expected to do, and what one does make the Venn diagram that keeps people employed and keeps you having to tread across spilled popcorn and Jujubes. Expecting everyone to do something knowing that they won't all comply might be the favored approach of lawmakers, but it doesn't make sense for cinema owners.

by Anonymousreply 157September 21, 2021 10:17 AM

They still make Jujubes?!

by Anonymousreply 158September 21, 2021 10:34 AM

I went to a sex club last weekend and not a SINGLE truculent GenZ volunteered to clean my butt with his tongue and drain my pipes.

by Anonymousreply 159September 21, 2021 11:09 AM

I hate when the server expects me to pack my own leftovers at the table. They should be doing it, in the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 160September 21, 2021 8:17 PM

R160 I agree. When that happens I cuss out the staff. Last time I did that soup tasted little off when I reheated it.

by Anonymousreply 161September 21, 2021 8:43 PM

R160 Agreed. This didn't happen all the time until a few years ago. The first few times it happened, I was pissed. Now I'm used to it.

by Anonymousreply 162September 21, 2021 8:45 PM

I agree. ^ Instead of packing it nicely for you, they bring you a box of inappropriate size for your leftover piece of food to rattle around in and flip over. And those things never close properly. Just wrap it up for me!

by Anonymousreply 163September 23, 2021 6:55 PM

You must be delightful restaurant guests.

by Anonymousreply 164September 23, 2021 8:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!