Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Family of Hikers - Part 5

Not sure why the True Crime / Sunshine Sachs troll / Spazz troll and his sock puppets got our prior thread closed, it had nothing to do with Markle or a former boyband.

Let's carry on here. Still waiting for the tox screens and final cause of death.

Prior thread linked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 9, 2022 11:45 PM

This interesting article was posted toward the end of the prior thread. Shame the Gerrish Chungs do not appear to have read it. Stay safe out there folks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2021 6:53 PM

Part 4 does not have the "thread closed" designation that it did earlier, so carry on there. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2021 7:27 PM

They're now saying the family very likely died from a lightning strike.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2021 9:38 PM

Do you have a link, R3?

The NYT wrote a piece that seemed sourced from online chat boards, it was then picked up by other outlets. LE and more official sources had not commented to my knowledge. Have you seen otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2021 10:09 PM

Here you go R3.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2021 6:13 PM

Actually dehydration and hyperthermia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2021 10:39 PM

In temps of 109, especially while climbing an extremely steep trail, their core temps went over 105. Unless airlifted out, packed in ice, it was game over and there is only about 30 minutes to turn things around at that point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2021 11:03 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2021 11:04 PM

Heat killed them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2021 1:06 AM

If you watch the vid of the helicopter that lifted them out on Wed morning, you can see the heat waves rising from Devil's Gulch, a very deep canyon. It was hotter on Sunday. SAR dogs had to be pulled due to burning paws on the trail, again at cooler temps. Poor Oski.

That poor infant. The parents looked strained in the 1 year birthday photos and the kid looked pretty solemn. Seemed like a horrific day to cap an unhappy year.

Find safer ways to chase dopamine if you choose to become a parent and/or a pet owner.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2021 7:24 PM

[quote]45-year-old Jonathan Gerrish mapped out Hite Cove Trail on an app on his phone, but the program did not show the elevation of the trail. A witness told investigators they saw the family's truck going toward the trail on August 15, around 8 am. The temperature at that time was 75 degrees at an elevation of about 3,800 feet. Authorities say they had been carrying one 85-ounce water container. It was empty, and they had no other water with them.

So they set out not knowing the trail was steep, and with one 85 oz. water bottle for two adults (and a dog)? They did have some baby formula for the 1-year old but WHY drag a baby along? Dumbasses.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2021 8:18 PM

Improper clothing , no hats, improper shoes, left one hour later than recommended for the hot summer months. No water bowl for that loyal, helpless little dog, no protection for his tender paw pads. Left no instructions for anyone to check on them if they were late coming home, and of course the shockingly inadequate amount of water, which for that hike was not enough for even ONE person. Stupid fucking baby killers. It that bitch had lived, either of them, they would have most likely been charged with criminal child endangerment at the LEAST. ( If they had survived ) Obviously they were the only two people who mattered in their minds and even helpless little ones had to fit into their lifestyle, no matter the discomfort and danger to them. What selfish rotten cunts. I hope Oski and Miju went quickly. Brutal way to die.

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2021 1:17 AM

Just wanted to add that the SLT will forever be a haunted, dystopian hell scape.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2021 1:20 AM

Texts were released

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2022 4:49 AM

"Detectives determined that sizzling hot temperatures, lack of shade, rigorous terrain and a cascade of disastrous choices led to their deaths."

DL determined that very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2022 4:55 AM

The Sac Bee has an article too but DL is not letting me link for some reason so pasting part of the url here instead. Very sad.

sacbee.com/news/california/article258516873.html

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2022 5:01 AM

The cops could not even use satellite phones where the bodies were found, so probably did not matter but I am a little surprised there was no attempt at a 911 call. No idea if that is more likely to go through. As I recall the sheriff/SARS had to hike up from the point on the trail to get a satellite signal, the cell was not of much use, esp farther down. That canyon is so deep. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2022 5:05 AM

Article at R14 was paywalled for me. Fresno Bee link (no paywall) won't post, either.

Just texts saying they're overheating and have a baby.

However - police say - no 911 calls. Why not?

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2022 5:05 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2022 9:51 PM

That must have been terrifying. They made some bad choices.

A week ago, we went to IKEA in a major urban area, had lovely reception upstairs and decided to split up. Downstairs was like a bunker and we had zero reception. Calls and texts wouldn’t go through and it took forever to find each other (because that place is a dizzying maze). We weren’t at panic stage, but it was really frustrating. I can’t imagine being alone in the wilderness and dying, with no reception. Gah.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2022 10:05 PM

The Patch article isn't behind a paywall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2022 10:36 AM

This isn't a "shithole country" situation, the location made it impossible for there to be good cell phone reception.

While I get that the app he was using didn't mention elevation, I still don't understand how they went so long -- an hour and a half per the recent info -- before turning around and trying to get back. Once they started going down those switchbacks, they should have known it was going to be a rough time getting back up them. Once it got to 90F, they should have realized it was going to get too hot. I know the answer is that they simply weren't thinking but man, this is frustrating.

by Anonymousreply 22February 19, 2022 10:40 AM

R19 how does this make the US a shithole country? People get lost and die hiking everywhere around the world and cell phone coverage is sporadic in rural areas everywhere.

Tell us what nirvana you hail from.

by Anonymousreply 23February 19, 2022 3:28 PM

R19 What an odd thing to post. Stupid people don't go missing in your cuntry?

by Anonymousreply 24February 19, 2022 3:33 PM

What a nightmarish death. The baby and dog probably died first, and it appears that she died last, as she was found a few yards up the trail from the others. She probably welcomed death at that point after watching her family die one by one. I have experienced hyperthermia, and it was hellish. Had others not been with me I would have died. Once you realize that you are in danger, you are too weak and incapacitated to save yourself. They would not have survived out there all alone with no shade and no water. Three days passed before SAR found them. Not one hiker other hiker used that trail in that time because it seems that everyone else had the common sense not to hike a trail with a nearly 2000 ft elevation and no tree canopy in the middle of August with triple digit temps. The last text was at 12:30. I wonder how long they lived after that text. I hope it was a quick death. Just a brutal way to die.

by Anonymousreply 25February 23, 2022 3:42 PM

I notice **crickets chirping** from R19.

by Anonymousreply 26February 23, 2022 4:25 PM

Man trying to do ‘personal research’ into deaths of hiking family is rescued after getting lost

He is from Michigan, told a local he found the cause of death "odd" and wanted to do his own research, 60ish years old, 5'6" and 200 lbs, and wearing SWEATPANTS on one of the hottest days of the year.

“He immediately started to complain that he was forced to spend the night at the bottom of Hites Cove trail because he was unable to find the trail that leads to the Savage Lundy portion,” where the family died in August, the Sheriff’s Office statement said. “He tried multiple times to call 911, but the calls would not go through. He did have two 1-gallon water containers with him and was concerned that he was forced to drink water he obtained from the river area and wanted to know if there had been updated algae testing.”

Medical personnel treated the man for badly blistered feet and dehydration before he left in his car against medical advice, deputies said."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2022 4:22 PM

I certainly hope the sheriff's send him a bill for the search and rescue operation. If anything, it might serve as a deterrent to these conspiracy clowns.

HiTF does someone take an interest in the perfectly explainable deaths of perfect strangers, spend money, and risk life and limb to prove what to whom?

At least he got blistered feet as a souvenir. Too bad keyboard warrior conspiracy theorists don't get their fingers scorched for participating in Q-related forums. Imagine if the reporting party saw his car the next morning and shrugged and went about his day? What would this fool's dying thoughts have been? "They got me, too!"

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2022 5:31 PM

^ sherrif's office

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2022 5:32 PM

r28, I don't know if you were involved in any of the previous threads but we had a poster who refused to accept heat exhaustion as the probable cause of death. The final ruling took months to come back and the speculative mental gymnastics were astounding. The algae was a big point of discussion, which was one of the first questions this guy asked rescuers.

I posit that the rescued hiker is a datalounger!!!

by Anonymousreply 30July 9, 2022 11:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!