Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Whitney Houston’s ‘The Bodyguard’ Gets Remake at Warner Bros.

Matthew López, the Tony-nominated playwright of “The Inheritance,” has been hired to write a reimagining of the iconic Whitney Houston film “The Bodyguard” at Warner Bros.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313September 28, 2021 5:39 PM

Lame

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2021 1:45 AM

I remember overhearing my mother talking to my religious godparents about going to see this movie (we were having a rare visit at their house) but they didn't seem to want to go, and said something quietly to mom that I didn't hear.

Later, in the car, I hear my mom say to my dad, "I had no idea they were so against interracial relationships!"

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2021 1:50 AM

R2 lmaooooo happy the film was a hit

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2021 1:55 AM

It will get ruined im sure. They'll cast some unproven Disney Channel ingenue in Whitney's role and some handsome but dumb-as-a-box-of-hair himbo in Costner's role. It will stink.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2021 2:15 AM

Since it was a black and white relationship they will probably do something like use an Asian and a Hispanic person in an attempt to "go further".

Although race was totally unrelated to the story.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2021 2:17 AM

Calling my agent now!

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2021 2:21 AM

Zendaya and Tom Holland

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2021 2:21 AM

Joe Rogan as THE BODYGUARD

Jennifer Coolidge as THE BODYGUARDED

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2021 2:24 AM

R6, I will cut a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2021 3:49 AM

Ariana Grande will play Rachel Marron.

Richard Madden will play Frank Farmer.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2021 6:09 AM

Ooh, no, they'll switch the roles. So the bodyguard will be female this time.

Called it!

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2021 10:00 AM

R10 so funny because Richard Madden popped in my head too

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2021 11:59 AM

Lazy and uninspired. Plus the original was not exactly a unique story. Typical "from different backgrounds" romance story. Also it was Whitney's movie. It was built around her and her stardom. There's no real superstars like Whitney anymore.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2021 12:05 PM

Well, the original is iconic but very far from being a good film.

I don't understand why someone who had such success as Mathew Lopez wants to be involved in something like this. And there's a clear problem becauser right now there's no singer who is remotely close to Houston's level of fame and voice.

Of course they could do a different route, but if they don' hire a black actress there'll be outrage all over twitter

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2021 12:08 PM

First, the original was no great film, it was the soundtrack. That, they will never be able to recreate.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2021 12:10 PM

Adele protected by Idris Elba. Billy Porter as Adele's manager.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2021 12:11 PM

I can imagine the success of A Star is Born caused this. But as r15 said, it was the soundtrack, not the movie. Plus Houston and Costner were the biggest stars in their fields.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2021 12:13 PM

Which Dolly Parton song will the redo this time ? I nominate "Heartbreaker"

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2021 12:17 PM

Hollywood has officially run out of ideas

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2021 1:25 PM

Exactly, it was a vehicle for Whitney Houston. But if you look past her and The Song, it was the story of a famous yet fragile! woman being rescued by a man. The big scene was him carrying her out of the riot. That will never fly today.

If they flip the roles like r11 suggested, she will take a bullet meant for him and have a pretty death scene because she was a slut who slept with her client.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2021 1:29 PM

[quote]The original grossed more than $400 million at the worldwide box office and has what is considered the bestselling movie soundtrack of all time, with several chart-topping original songs from Houston.

Is this true? I don't have the time to look it up right now, but I would think the best-selling movie soundtrack of all time would still be either or WEST SIDE STORY or THE SOUND OF MUSIC, or maybe SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER.

[quote]First, the original was no great film, it was the soundtrack. That, they will never be able to recreate.

Few would argue that it was a "great" film, but still, it was hugely successful at the box office. Of course, some of that success was fed by the phenomenal success of the soundtrack album, but still.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2021 1:35 PM

R21, yes, I believe it is the biggest selling soundtrack of all time as well as the biggest selling CD.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2021 1:46 PM

Kind of off topic, but this thread reminded me how successful Whitney's brief film career was.

She wasn't a skilled actress by any stretch of the imagination, but her films like The Bodyguard, Waiting to Exhale and The Preacher's Wife did really well at the box office. Like others have mentioned, the soundtracks to those films helped too.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2021 1:55 PM

I only read the play, but The Inheritance was a dull gay soap opera with the sheen of Importance and Weight.

Will they redo the Dolly song?

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2021 3:02 PM

Whitney was pretty, had stage presence and warmth to her. While you can argue her early music was too sugary sweet and her vocal olympics could be grating. She had an ability to connect to others. Whitney's filmography is pretty good, she gave decent performances unlike Madonna, Mariah and Beyoncé. If only she said sober and dumped Bobby earlier, I could see her today judging singing competitions and making jazz and soul albums. Just a collassal waste of talent.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2021 3:03 PM

R25, well… she was the one that picked Bobby. Water seeks its own level. She died, then her daughter died. She was actually most likely a pretty toxic person.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2021 3:09 PM

It's gonna be Beyoncé or Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2021 3:12 PM

Well, looks like Mr. Lopez is going for the money.

God knows he doesn’t seem to have had much of a payday from that theater piece.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2021 3:13 PM

r21, according to Wikipedia, the bestselling soundtracks of all time are:

1. The Bodyguard

2. Saturday Night Fever

3. Grease

4. Dirty Dancing

5. Purple Rain

6. Flashdance

Note: I excluded Titanic, which would land at #5, but which I consider a score rather than a soundtrack album of songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2021 3:19 PM

Taylor Swift protected by Michael B. Jordan.

Both of them irritate me but I would actually watch that.

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2021 3:24 PM

I don't think any established music star will want to have the pressure of trying to top Whitney's sales, which they can never do.

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2021 3:31 PM

R30 I wouldn't. I'm sick of them and Taylor can't act for shit.

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2021 3:39 PM

This movie is proof positive that hollywood bigshots are fing morons, ANOTHER REMAKE SHEESH

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2021 3:41 PM

Sorry, but I think these numbers for soundtrack sales are somehow way off. For instance, I find it very hard to believe that THE SOUND OF MUSIC album has sold only 20 million copies (or slightly more) to date. The album was a phenomenon when it was released in 1965, and at a time when there was far less competition from other entertainment media. Plus the film has remained a classic to this day, so I would imagine the album has continued to sell better over the decades than, for example the soundtrack of THE BODYGUARD, a film which is not considered a classic in the same way. And I have similar thoughts about the WEST SIDE STORY soundtrack album.

Anyone share my doubts about the accuracy of the numbers?

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2021 4:32 PM

[quote] She wasn't a skilled actress by any stretch of the imagination,

Whitney was surprisingly skilled enough to be convincing in all her role. She wasn't deep but she wasn't wooden either

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2021 4:36 PM

R35 Her role was very similar to herself, that's the reason why she is so comfortable in it

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2021 7:06 PM

[quote]Whitney was surprisingly skilled enough to be convincing in all her role. She wasn't deep but she wasn't wooden either

Whitney started out as an actress before she became a singer. IIRC, her appearance on "Gimme A Break" came before her singing career took off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2021 10:50 PM

The movie is just okay. It is only popular because of Whitney's singing. I doubt it will ever be successful ig other person does it.

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2021 11:09 PM

Whitney was not a good actress. WTF are you trying to convince? The Bodyguard sucked except the soundtrack and she was wooden in the movie. She got lucky being in ensemble movies with huge stars much like Madonna. They both had some $100 million movies. Whitney could never headline a movie. Nobody went to see TBG for her. The movie, and the soundtrack, did so well because of that particular time. And really because of only that song. If not IWALY, flop soundtrack and flop movie.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2021 2:07 AM

The entire cast will be trans women of color

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2021 2:10 AM

An Oscar for Lizzo!!

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2021 2:12 AM

When they remake a movie, it's because it's iconic and they think they can recapture the magic and make bank doing it. However, they always disregard the intangible elements that made the original a hit in the first place. No current celebrity has Whitney's superstardom and vocal talent so the project is a fail from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2021 2:25 AM

No one is rushing to remake Madonna movies, r39. She is notoriously mocked for her filmography.

[quote]And really because of only that song. If not IWALY, flop soundtrack and flop movie.

No. The movie is more than just one song.

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2021 2:28 AM

R43 No, she isn’t. Madonna has DSS, ToD, ALOTO, and Evita. Her and Whitters had nothing to crow about, but they also had a better filmography than people want to believe. Both benefitted from ensemble casts.

TBG is not iconic. The song is. The story is a classic which is why they want to remake it. Also, HW is remaking just about everything so don’t do get yourself twisted thinking this is a well regarded movie. It was not a good movie and Whitney was not well reviewed for it. If she would have gotten fired from it, or not even made it, she might be alive. The hype helped her waning career.

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2021 2:37 AM

Whitney did not light up screens. She wasn’t much of a presence on film. There are plenty of hyped singers out there they could give this to who could easily out do her- Lizzo, Taylor (as much as I hate to say it) and, of course, Beyoncé would render Whitney’s movie null and void. Hell, Christina could play a washed up singer who has a comeback. Or J-lo! I know all the femme gays loved the vocal hysterionics of Nippy but that movie caught lightening in a bottle with that song. The rest is trash.

by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2021 2:42 AM

Whitney Houston was very charming in The Bodyguard. Kevin Costner sure as hell made sure they lit her in the most flattering light and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 46September 17, 2021 2:51 AM

R46 She was wooden. She doesn’t have much presence on the screen. It speaks volumes she wasn’t nominated for any acting award seeing as everyone else is who plays themselves.

by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2021 2:53 AM

Costner wanted Madonna, but she pissed him off with the finger down the throat during Blond Ambition. To her credit, he went to see her in concert in the 00s, and she publicly apologized which he said he really appreciated and it meant a lot to him.

by Anonymousreply 48September 17, 2021 2:55 AM

Your talking about this: That was nice of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 17, 2021 2:58 AM

Whitney wasn't the greatest actress but she was perfectly fine in The Bodyguard. Absolutely gorgeous before the drugs and Bobby affected her looks.

She and Costner had nice chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 50September 17, 2021 3:00 AM

Houston was even worse in Waiting to Exhale. That movie exposed how limited an actress she was when acting alongside real thespians like Angela Bassett, Loretta Devine, Lela Rochon.

I know people like to act like she was the black Streisand, but at least Streisand had screen presence and was a phenomenal comedic actress.

by Anonymousreply 51September 17, 2021 3:01 AM

But she wasn’t fine in the BG, but yes, her and Costner did have great chemistry. Whitney was a very one note actress. No depth.

R51 nailed it

by Anonymousreply 52September 17, 2021 3:02 AM

Madonna would have been worse than Whitney in TBG. If Whitney was a wooden actor, Madonna is an oak tree.

by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2021 3:03 AM

R53 I think Madonna would have worked. She would be playing herself, essentially, which is the lane she should have stayed in because unlike Whitney, Madonna had screen presence to spare.

by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2021 3:04 AM

Costner and Madonna would have had zero chemistry.

Sommersby would have had more chemistry than a Costner/Madge Bodyguard.

by Anonymousreply 55September 17, 2021 3:05 AM

R55 How do you know Costner/Madonna wouldn’t have had chemistry? I never thought he and Whitney would have.

by Anonymousreply 56September 17, 2021 3:09 AM

One of many interviews in which Costner speaks of his adoration for Whitney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 17, 2021 3:09 AM

We all know he adored her. It’s a shame she was such a damaged person.

by Anonymousreply 58September 17, 2021 3:10 AM

Fuck it, they should have had Madonna and Whitney as the lovers in TBG.

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2021 3:12 AM

Lolol! THIS is what he got out of writing The Inheritance??

Gurl, bye.

by Anonymousreply 60September 17, 2021 3:13 AM

I think the Gay version would work best. But honestly I hope they don't fuck with one of the best movie soundtracks ever produced.

by Anonymousreply 61September 17, 2021 3:14 AM

[quote] It’s a shame she was such a damaged person.

With a homophobic, religious mother, it's understandable why Whitney was so damaged.

by Anonymousreply 62September 17, 2021 3:14 AM

R62 She was a big girl. She made her own choices in life. She had plenty of love and support from others (Robin!) yet squandered it. Nothing is worse than being a crack whore having your husband dig out your shit on your reality show. Do we all not remember that horrendous reality show and her horrendous behavior on it?

by Anonymousreply 63September 17, 2021 3:16 AM

I liked the movie and the soundtrack. I didn't see films for the soundtrack, you usually found out after you saw the movie that you liked the soundtrack. Despite r39's venemous opinion of the movie.

Does it seem like there haven't been many good movies with hit songs on them that were made specifically for the movie, the past decade or two?

by Anonymousreply 64September 17, 2021 4:27 AM

I think The Bodyguard holds up really well. It's very well edited and directed. Costner and Houston have great chemistry. Terrific cinematography.

As for the music, it's excellent, of course, but let's not forget Alan Silvestri's terrific score which kind of gets overlooked due to the hugely successful soundtrack.

I've always loved the main theme. It's mournful yet beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 17, 2021 4:33 AM

They're gonna get Beyonce to play Whitney's role. They should get Frank Grillo to play the Bodyguard.

by Anonymousreply 66September 17, 2021 4:40 AM

I doubt Beyonce would accept the role. If she dropped out of the Jazz Era version of A Star is Born that Eastwood was planning to direct, I doubt she would do TBG remake.

I read somewhere that Tessa Thompson was trying to make this with Chris Hemsworth (I believe Tessa would play the bodyguard instead of Hemsworth). But after Men In Black reboot bombed, I'm sure Warner Brothers aren't too keen on backing another film with those two as leads.

by Anonymousreply 67September 17, 2021 4:51 AM

OK The reason the movie worked is because Whitney really didn't have to do much acting. She basically played a version of herself. Famous, popular mega star singer/Actress. Who could do that now? And even more important is the title role. Costner was still hot, but he had that weathered weary burned out looks about him...and yet you knew he was still The Man. Neither one had to work very hard to define their characters. So who could do that now. Daniel Craig is too old.

by Anonymousreply 68September 17, 2021 5:16 AM

The Rock for the Bodyguard

Taylor Swift for the star

by Anonymousreply 69September 17, 2021 5:24 AM

Apparently, Ariana Grande and Michael B. Jordan have already been approached for this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 17, 2021 5:43 AM

I volunteer to guard Michael B. Jordan's body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 17, 2021 5:52 AM

[Quote] There are plenty of hyped singers out there they could give this to who could easily out do her- Lizzo, Taylor (as much as I hate to say it) and, of course, Beyoncé would render Whitney’s movie null and void. Hell, Christina could play a washed up singer who has a comeback. Or J-lo!

Thanks for the laughs 🤣🤣🤣

[Quote] I read somewhere that Tessa Thompson was trying to make this with Chris Hemsworth (I believe Tessa would play the bodyguard instead of Hemsworth). But after Men In Black reboot bombed, I'm sure Warner Brothers aren't too keen on backing another film with those two as leads.

Those 2 should just stick to the Thor movies.

by Anonymousreply 72September 17, 2021 7:20 AM

[quote]because unlike Whitney, Madonna had screen presence to spare.

This Madonna fan is deranged! 😂 My sides!

For real though, Whitney had the looks and the presence. In fact, I can't think of any current singer with anything approaching her stage or screen presence. She had that rare golden age movie star vibe. Vulnerable, yet still inaccessible. What she wasn't was sexy which, in an actress, is very short-lived anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 17, 2021 7:22 AM

[quote]I think Madonna would have worked.

No, she would not. Madonna already had a string of bombs at that point and more on the way.

by Anonymousreply 74September 17, 2021 7:36 AM

A couple fun facts:

The movie was originally supposed to be made in the late 70s, and was to star Diana Ross and Ryan O'Neal. I think according to one of Tatum's books (Tatum O'Neal troll, are you out there?), Ryan was only fucking Diana to try and get her to do the movie because he desperately needed a hit.

Before offering the role to Whitney, the studio was seriously considering Princess Diana.

by Anonymousreply 75September 17, 2021 7:44 AM

[quote] Apparently, Ariana Grande and Michael B. Jordan have already been approached for this.

I've never seen Ariana act but this would be the perfect combo since she's regarded as the songbird heir to Whitney/Mariah.

by Anonymousreply 76September 17, 2021 8:00 AM

Zendaya - she can act and sing

Chris Evans or Chris Hemsworth as The Bodyguard

It should be an interracial couple.

by Anonymousreply 77September 17, 2021 8:06 AM

Please, Lord, no!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 17, 2021 8:11 AM

[quote]I doubt Beyonce would accept the role. If she dropped out of the Jazz Era version of A Star is Born that Eastwood was planning to direct, I doubt she would do TBG remake.

She might. That didn't happen because the timing never quite matched up. Back in 2011 after she met with Clint, she became pregnant, and then he went on to do another movie.

She's also sadly one of the only people that comes close to Whitney (not that close but closer than many) that could also have a successful album release.

by Anonymousreply 79September 17, 2021 8:23 AM

R76 Ariana had good comedic timing on Victorious and Scream Queens. But i don't know about drama, her face is already pretty distracting because of all the plastic surgery.

R78 I want it to happen just to see the CE stans have a meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 80September 17, 2021 10:18 AM

No one can say "He's my... bodyguard!" like Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 81September 17, 2021 10:30 AM

To the poster saying no pop star would touch this role - definitely someone as delusional as Beyonce would, to try to "show the world" they're as good as Whitney Houston.

Beyonce is boring and has no personality, to the point where she can barely be spoofed because she just... isn't interesting personally. Even Beyonce's husband's scandalous affair didn't make her more interesting by proxy. Whitney had layers.

by Anonymousreply 82September 17, 2021 10:34 AM

Beyonce's team would steer her completely away from doing this remake out of fear of the backlash she'd receive. Beyonce wants to be respected as an actress. She wants an Oscar. TBG is not an Oscar-bait type of movie, it's pure Hollywood kitsch, and its association with Whitney -- who was at the peak of her career -- is too strong for Beyonce to overcome.

by Anonymousreply 83September 17, 2021 10:45 AM

R83 but Beyonce would OVERRULE her team, because she is... Delusional.

by Anonymousreply 84September 17, 2021 10:48 AM

[quote]Before offering the role to Whitney, the studio was seriously considering Princess Diana.

Actually, Kevin Costner approached Princess Diana for the sequel. The original had been written as a vehicle for Diana Ross and Steve McQueen, then Ryan O'Neal when McQueen passed. O'Neal was very bitter at Ross' refusal to do that it (because he really was desperate for a hit) and it led to his infamous quote about her:

[quote]"All of a sudden she didn't want to play a woman guarded by a white bodyguard because Diana Ross doesn't want to show her body, doesn't want to do sex scenes on the screen, doesn't want to sing, and doesn't want to be black. As you can see, we are obviously no longer an item."

He was right about her not wanting to be black, though.

There's a whole DL thread about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 17, 2021 11:02 AM

Oh god the Whitney stan making it seem she was this epic screen legend, presence which LMFAO didn’t translate into her being the lead in any movies. For a reason. She couldn’t act. She was barely passable and one note. She didn’t light up the screen at all. Her chemistry with Costner did and that saved this dreck of a movie. R51 called it perfectly.

Beyoncé would make Whitney look pedestrian in comparison. No, Beyoncé can’t act either but she has way more presence than Whitney. The singer in this movie doesn’t have to have an over the top voice. I know bottoms love that but the rest of us just want good songs.

by Anonymousreply 86September 17, 2021 11:38 AM

R86 tell us how you really feel!

I'm going to call you a "Beyoncé Stan" from now on, just because.

by Anonymousreply 87September 17, 2021 11:43 AM

God, it's even worse than I thought.

R86's many, many posts to this thread, all bashing Whitney and pushing MADONNA (?) of all people, and now Beyoncé:

"Whitney was not a good actress. WTF are you trying to convince? .The Bodyguard sucked except the soundtrack and she was wooden in the movie..."

"Whitney did not light up screens. She wasn’t much of a presence on film. There are plenty of hyped singers out there they could give this to who could easily out do her- Lizzo, Taylor (as much as I hate to say it) and, of course, Beyoncé would render Whitney’s movie null and void. ..."

"R46 She was wooden. She doesn’t have much presence on the screen. It speaks volumes she wasn’t nominated for any acting award seeing as everyone else is who plays themselves."

"Costner wanted Madonna, but she pissed him off with the finger down the throat during Blond Ambition..."

"Your talking about this: That was nice of her.*

"But she wasn’t fine in the BG, but yes, her and Costner did have great chemistry. Whitney was a very one note actress. No depth."

"R51 nailed it"

"R53 I think Madonna would have worked. She would be playing herself, essentially, which is the lane she should have stayed in because unlike Whitney, Madonna had screen presence to spare."

"R55 How do you know Costner/Madonna wouldn’t have had chemistry? ..."

"We all know he adored her. It’s a shame she was such a damaged person."

"Fuck it, they should have had Madonna and Whitney as the lovers in TBG."

"R62 She was a big girl. She made her own choices in life. She had plenty of love and support from others (Robin!) yet squandered it. Nothing is worse than being a crack whore having your husband dig out your shit on your reality show..."

"Oh god the Whitney stan making it seem she was this epic screen legend, presence which LMFAO didn’t translate into her being the lead in any movies. For a reason. She couldn’t act..."

by Anonymousreply 88September 17, 2021 11:51 AM

R87 You’re just trying to negate my opinion. You’re a Whitney loon so your opinion is rendered moot. Stop trying to make this movie seem more than it was. It was a middling movie, saved by their chemistry and the soundtrack (really one song), and Whitney was not a great actress by any stretch nor was she any type of screen presence.

Call me a stan of whoever you want. It is sad stans do try to diminish other divas who are “rivals” of theirs while trying to create this ultra positive narrative about their preferred diva.

Aside from Beyoncé, Taylor could play a country singer or just a pop singer in a remake. She could actually WRITE her songs or the soundtrack.

And J-lo is a great option. She’s a passable actress, passable singer, and has screen presence.

by Anonymousreply 89September 17, 2021 11:52 AM

R88 Trolldar your fucking stanning of Whitney psycho. Nobody was pushing Madonna. She was being discussed. You’re a fucking psychotic Whitney loon who thinks she was some movie legend. She barely made a blip but I guess that was due to her “issues with substance abuse”. GTFO. I’ll keep bringing up Beyoncé, Madonna, and whoever the fuck I want. You aren’t going to shut me down, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 90September 17, 2021 11:55 AM

R89 you are bizarre and insane.

Likes Whitney in this movie and thought the movie was good = "Whitney loon" now, apparently.

I've posted a handful of times in this thread; you have posted twenty times, repeating yourself and "negating" everyone's opinion that isn't yours.

Are you one of those anti-Meghan Markle freaks who accuses everyone who has even tepid support of her of working for some Mysterious PR firm like Sunshine Sachs or whatever? Because that's who you're acting like. You've got the multi-paragraph, ranty posts down pat.

You should know: you're nuts.

by Anonymousreply 91September 17, 2021 11:59 AM

And two more posts (1/5 of the thread), freaking out about being called out over his weird relentless and repetitive Whitney bashing and similarly bizarre Madonna/Beyoncé pushing.

by Anonymousreply 92September 17, 2021 12:04 PM

R91 You posted way more than a few times and your “liked Whitney and thought it was a good movie” is your persona trying to seem un- stanlike. Yet, your other posts show you cannot STAND anybody being negative about this movie. It sends you into a frenzy of posting other posters posts to “out” them. That isn’t STAN like behavior AT ALL! Keep trying that, cunt, it isn’t working. Your actions speak louder than your words.

by Anonymousreply 93September 17, 2021 12:05 PM

Whitney fans cannot stand any opinion that isn’t glowing. Nobody was pushing Madonna for a remake. She was brought up. Oh, we can’t have any positive opinion of Madonna on DL. Oh, got it. Thanks for the policing of opinions. Now back to relentless Whitney hype. Meanwhile, Beyoncé would be much better.

by Anonymousreply 94September 17, 2021 12:07 PM

And two more insane, ranty posts, defending his weird Madonna and Beyoncé obsessions...

by Anonymousreply 95September 17, 2021 12:11 PM

R95 Anymore insane, ranty posts trying to make Whitney’s acting/TBG happen?

by Anonymousreply 96September 17, 2021 12:18 PM

Whitney is not a good actress. People went to watch her sing and looked at her beautiful face.

Critics panned the movie. Not going to be successful in a remake.

by Anonymousreply 97September 17, 2021 12:26 PM

Critics' rating of the movie was middling. Audience rating was high.

by Anonymousreply 98September 17, 2021 12:29 PM

[quote] There are plenty of hyped singers out there they could give this to who could easily out do her- Lizzo, Taylor (as much as I hate to say it) and, of course, Beyoncé would render Whitney’s movie null and void. Hell, Christina could play a washed up singer who has a comeback. Or J-lo!

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA WHUT???? Gurl, pass me those pills you’re popping. Beyoncé will NEVER have an international hit the size of I Will Always Love You. Beyoncé wishes she could have a hit the size of I Have Nothing FFS. Beyoncé will never be at the level of beloved international icon Whitney. She’s a specialty act 100% created by the media and lies.

by Anonymousreply 99September 17, 2021 1:03 PM

According to boxofficemojo, The Bodyguard grossed ~$122 million domestic (adjusted for inflation, ~$269 million), staying in the top 5 for seven weeks.

The movie was released Nov 25, 1992; the single for "I Will Always Love You" had been released Nov 3, and hit #1 on Billboard's Hot 100 the week ending Nov 28 (so, basically the same week the movie was released). The song would famously spend 14 weeks at #1. The soundtrack was released Nov 17, reaching #1 on Billboard's Top 200 albums chart the week ending December 12, eventually logging 20 non-consecutive weeks at #1.

by Anonymousreply 100September 17, 2021 1:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 17, 2021 1:56 PM

Audience rating for Fast and Furious movies are sky high, too. They suck.

by Anonymousreply 102September 17, 2021 6:03 PM

[quote]I think the Gay version would work best. But honestly I hope they don't fuck with one of the best movie soundtracks ever produced.

So, are you saying that you want and expect this new version to have the same songs and the same music as the original, including "I Will Always Love You?" Are you insane?

by Anonymousreply 103September 17, 2021 6:47 PM

R103 I want new music. IWALY is saccharine shit. The other songs are equally kitsch.

by Anonymousreply 104September 17, 2021 6:50 PM

If Madonna were in that movie, it would have flopped. Everyone would be scratching their heads because if her fake British accent

by Anonymousreply 105September 17, 2021 6:58 PM

She didn’t have the accent then dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 106September 17, 2021 6:59 PM

Acting is an art. Everyone thinks it’s easy—it’s not.

Whitney was never a trained actress but did very well in that role. Even Streisand basically plays the same role throughout her movies

by Anonymousreply 107September 17, 2021 6:59 PM

R102, The Fast and Furious movies may not be for you but at least the first few don't suck.

R97, while critics did pan the movie it was still successful.

[quote] For a reason. She couldn’t act. She was barely passable and one note. She didn’t light up the screen at all. Her chemistry with Costner did and that saved this dreck of a movie.

It was her first role. The director and producer were ripped to shreds because they wouldn't make her take acting classes. They also used careful editing to get the best performance possible out of her. The twist is, the "diva" part of her personality which was simply part of who she was as a singer came through in other scenes. You had to believe that she wanted to perform, no matter who was stalking her & no matter what Kevin Costner's character said and did to try and protect her. Her character was someone who believed she was in full control no matter what.

In the softer scenes she had issues, in those scenes she was just fine.

by Anonymousreply 108September 17, 2021 7:03 PM

R107 No, Whitney didn’t do well in that role. Whitney loons always want to try to make her out to be a decent actress. She was not.

by Anonymousreply 109September 17, 2021 7:04 PM

David Foster said that Whitney was a nightmare to work with during the recording of the soundtrack. But the huge success of it all made it worthwhile. He never worked with her again though. He moved on to Celine, who was a dream to work with.

by Anonymousreply 110September 17, 2021 8:11 PM

Yes Whitney was decent. In all her movies, she does a commendable job

by Anonymousreply 111September 17, 2021 8:22 PM

R111 She does the bare minimum to qualify as acting.

by Anonymousreply 112September 17, 2021 8:22 PM

[quote] He never worked with her again though.

Not true. He worked with her on The Preacher's Wife soundtrack, and My Love Is Your Love. And I never heard him say she was a nightmare. He commended her for recording the majority of the songs in one take and said that was her gift as a vocalist as others would do songs in multiple takes to get it right. Whitney didn't waste too much time in the studio because she was a one-take-wonder, making the producers' job breezier.

by Anonymousreply 113September 17, 2021 8:25 PM

[quote]I think the Gay version would work best.

RuPaul as the singer and NPH as the bodyguard.

by Anonymousreply 114September 17, 2021 8:27 PM

Her behavior on his reality show was atrocious and showed her true self. She was disgusting and vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 115September 17, 2021 8:28 PM

It's not like Whitney was playing Medea or Blanche DuBois.

by Anonymousreply 116September 17, 2021 8:36 PM

Or Allison DuBois.

by Anonymousreply 117September 17, 2021 8:57 PM

R115, she was a drug addict by then

by Anonymousreply 118September 18, 2021 12:42 AM

R118 Always an excuse.

by Anonymousreply 119September 18, 2021 12:54 AM

Since a role reversal is a sure thing, my dream cast would be--as the songbird--Frankie Grande. And as The Bodyguard? Glenn Close. She'll get that Oscar when they remake that "running faster than an SUV" scene.

by Anonymousreply 120September 18, 2021 1:00 AM

[quote]He commended her for recording the majority of the songs in one take and said that was her gift as a vocalist as others would do songs in multiple takes to get it right.

David Foster also compared Whitney to Celine Dion saying she would do exactly as told in the studio while Whitney would somewhat ignore direction and put her own stylings. This turned out to be an inadvertent compliment to Whitney as he admits that despite his frustration, he almost always ended up using Whitney's first takes anyway because they were often better and that IWALY would've been a completely different song if he'd gone with his original vision. The acapella intro was also Whitney's idea.

by Anonymousreply 121September 18, 2021 1:31 AM

R121 I need to see a source on this.

by Anonymousreply 122September 18, 2021 1:33 AM

I wonder what song they'd have picked if they'd gone with Madonna? She certainly can't sing IWALY even in Dolly's form, and certainly not Whitney's.

by Anonymousreply 123September 18, 2021 1:34 AM

r121 He's talked about it several times in TV interviews. I'll try to find that particular one where he compares Whitney and Celine. But meanwhile, he's one where he discusses IWALY.

Correction: It was Costner's idea, not Whitney, that the song start acapella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 18, 2021 1:47 AM

Gender swap the singer to male (but keep the bodyguard also male), make the singer a country hit maker, and have the gargantuanly successful cover song be a version of the Chicago hit "I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love," like this version:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 18, 2021 1:57 AM

R123 Oh you try and try, triggered twat. Speaks volumes you went there. I win.

R124 Of course now that receipts are coming in the story changes.

by Anonymousreply 126September 18, 2021 1:59 AM

r126 Can Madonna sing IWALY?

by Anonymousreply 127September 18, 2021 2:04 AM

Yep, R124, he said it right in the link you provided.

[quote] "Celine would give me exactly what I asked for, which just thrilled me, as an egotistical record producer. Thank you, Celine," Foster said. "When I would ask Whitney to do that, she would give me something different than I asked for. And 99 percent of the time, it would be something better than what I asked for... that was the genius, part of the genius, of Whitney Houston."

I think that came from her strict Gospel training from Cissy. When singing in the Black Gospel tradition, you must restructure songs from the ground up. That's how Whitney approached all of the songs she covered, and she always made them her own. Narada Michael Walden, one of the primary producers from her first studio albums, said the same thing as Foster.

by Anonymousreply 128September 18, 2021 2:08 AM

Regarding "the song," I will never forget my mother and I being in a grocery store around the time IWALY was #1. We walked onto some aisle just as it started playing over the store's sound system and this young guy standing not too far from us groaned and said with utter dread, "Oh, no, not again...."

by Anonymousreply 129September 18, 2021 2:10 AM

Maybe the studio should hire Lopez to write an original script instead. Nah. Let’s remake a crappy movie instead.

by Anonymousreply 130September 18, 2021 2:12 AM

R121 I believe Babyface, who worked with Whitney on The Waiting to Exhale soundtrack, made similar comments about Whitney's talent. He said she was absolutely instrumental in crafting the songs she performed and deserved writing credits but was never credited. She wasn't just an interpreter, but she also helped developed the songs she made famous.

by Anonymousreply 131September 18, 2021 2:41 AM

R131 ahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2021 2:42 AM

[quote]Of course now that receipts are coming in the story changes.

r126 Receipt duly located at r128. There's another interview where he goes into even more detail.

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2021 3:12 AM

[quote]I think that came from her strict Gospel training from Cissy.

It's certainly from her gospel training. It's for this very reason that she was much better live with many of her live renditions eclipsing the studio versions of her songs.

Exhibit A.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2021 3:16 AM

Matthew Lopez is hot

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2021 3:26 AM

R133 and R134 ahahahahhaahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 136September 18, 2021 4:06 AM

I would've loved to see Whitney’s version of Allison Dubois 😆

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 18, 2021 5:38 AM

No singer right now has the status that Whitney had then, noone (Beyonce topping the charts days are way long gone, she doesn't have a hit in ages).

Whitney was a huge star back then and the soundtrack (the soundtrack, not only I will always love you) was an epic success.

Yes she was not the best actress but the film wasn't the best film either, but it worked very well

by Anonymousreply 138September 18, 2021 10:36 AM

R108 yeah, the movie was successful because people watched her sang. They go to the movie to watch Whitney Houston, not watch the movie. The movie itself is not good.

If other actress does it, she will need to bring the same enthusiasm people had on Whitney Houston, which will not be possible.

by Anonymousreply 139September 18, 2021 10:52 AM

The 1992 film was terrible. This proposed remake will be even worse. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 140September 18, 2021 10:54 AM

A source told me Lil Nas will be playing Whitney's role!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141September 18, 2021 10:57 AM

Hi Matthew R135! The Inheritance sucked, btw!

by Anonymousreply 142September 18, 2021 11:40 AM

Scarlett Johanssen as "The Bodyguard".

John Legend is too old. Otherwise, I have no idea who to suggest as The Star. Drake?

And if they are going to keep the same gender roles as the original, I know it's blasphemy to some to knock Beyonce, but, I share the same reaction to her that others have pointed out. She has all the charisma of the 10 lb bag of powdered cement leaning against the corner of my garage.

Houston had screen presence, if no acting ability, but she didn't need acting ability. I'm reminded of what a DLer said of Kim Novak in "Picnic"- Novak's performance was wooden, but, somehow, that actually suited the character of Madge. Same here with Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 143September 18, 2021 11:49 AM

R142 It's curious i always read that Inheritance sucked on this forum but when i read oppions in other forums they are very very different

by Anonymousreply 144September 18, 2021 12:03 PM

[Quote] I know it's blasphemy to some to knock Beyonce, but, I share the same reaction to her that others have pointed out. She has all the charisma of the 10 lb bag of powdered cement leaning against the corner of my garage

She was hilarious in Obsessed and i couldn’t take her seriously as an actress after that movie came out.

by Anonymousreply 145September 18, 2021 1:00 PM

No one's claiming Whitney was a great actress. She may not have been Meryl Streep, but she wasn't embarrassing either. She had three consecutive box office hits which isn't too shabby for a moonlight gig.

by Anonymousreply 146September 18, 2021 2:24 PM

Mariah in Whitney's role. Of course they will be forced to drop the scene where he carries her out because she is too heavy to be lifted.

Gabourey Sidibe as the bodyguard. Mo'Nique as a bystander who gets killed in a drive-by shooting in the first two minutes of the film.

Mariah will rap "Touch My Body" in her final scene.

by Anonymousreply 147September 18, 2021 3:08 PM

It seems the only film Whitney made that wasn't a major success was her last, the remake of Sparkle. That film premiered after she died and people might have found the circumstances of her death too depressing to go out and see it. Plus unlike with her other films, there was no other star power (Kevin Costner, Denzel Washington) to round out the cast.

by Anonymousreply 148September 18, 2021 3:17 PM

Bereft of imagination since...well, the start of movies.

by Anonymousreply 149September 18, 2021 3:25 PM

Inheritance was great and was written expertly.

Ignore what the naysayers on DL say.

by Anonymousreply 150September 18, 2021 3:28 PM

Whitney got lucky. No one went to see that movie for her. Don’t be delusional. Costner was on a hot streak. The premise looked interesting. Whitney was in two other ensembles where she wasn’t anywhere near the main feature. Fucking Whitney loon who tries hard to down play his lunacy but always over does it with hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 151September 18, 2021 8:25 PM

Whitney was great, but I agree with R151. Most women most likely saw The Bodyguard for Kevin Costner. He was a huge sex symbol back then and that movie came out during the height of his fame/career. To be honest, he's still sexy as hell all these years later. Everyone keeps asking what current songstress has Whitney's talent and charisma, but I want to know which current leading man has Kevin Costner's star power and sex appeal. Hollywood doesn't make stars like it used to.

by Anonymousreply 152September 18, 2021 8:56 PM

[quote]No singer right now has the status that Whitney had then, noone (Beyonce topping the charts days are way long gone, she doesn't have a hit in ages).

Her last hit was in 2018 with Apeshit and before that, she had a few in 2016. She arguably had one in 2019 with "I Care."

[quote]Most women most likely saw The Bodyguard for Kevin Costner. He was a huge sex symbol back then and that movie came out during the height of his fame/career.

This is true but also Whitney's presence gave the film crossover appeal with black audiences who could see someone they were familiar with. That helped the film become successful as well. It was a few years before she claimed that many of her black fans had turned against her when she got booed at the 1989 Soul Train awards.

[quote] I want to know which current leading man has Kevin Costner's star power and sex appeal. Hollywood doesn't make stars like it used to.

No one does. You are right. However, it's impossible that anyone could. The nature of celebrity has changed dramatically since Kevin's day. The age of the movie star is dead and has been for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 153September 18, 2021 10:58 PM

Chris Evans and Ariana Grande. Evans reportedly has a great voice and I'd kill to see midget Grande throw him over her shoulder to carry him off the stage in the Lady of the Night scene.

by Anonymousreply 154September 18, 2021 11:08 PM

Black audiences did not go to see Whitney. Black audiences still didn’t feel she was one of them at this point. She was not the appeal for the film. She was actually in a bit of a slump at the time before the film.

by Anonymousreply 155September 18, 2021 11:22 PM

[quote]Black audiences did not go to see Whitney. Black audiences still didn’t feel she was one of them at this point. She was not the appeal for the film. She was actually in a bit of a slump at the time before the film.

You're right, black audiences went to see the film for Kevin Costner because black people just loved Kevin Costner.

by Anonymousreply 156September 18, 2021 11:46 PM

R156, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but Black people really do like them some Kevin Costner.

by Anonymousreply 157September 19, 2021 12:36 AM

I remember going to see The Bodyguard opening weekend in Orlando and half the audience was black.

by Anonymousreply 158September 19, 2021 1:35 AM

[quote]Black audiences did not go to see Whitney. Black audiences still didn’t feel she was one of them at this point.

What do you mean "at this point?" Do you feel that black audiences didn't get behind Whitney till some point AFTER this movie was released?

by Anonymousreply 159September 19, 2021 1:55 AM

I don't know what people are talking here but Whitney was HUGE, as equally popular as Costner back then. The movie sucked but the two had instant chemistry and success. The soundtrack was at the top of the charts for weeks and so was the movie.

No-one has been able to sing "I Have Nothing" like Whitney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160September 19, 2021 4:44 AM

[quote]Whitney got lucky. No one went to see that movie for her. Don’t be delusional. Costner was on a hot streak. The premise looked interesting. Whitney was in two other ensembles where she wasn’t anywhere near the main feature.

Don't forget Whitney also starred in the hugely successful TV remake of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella that extended her string of "luck" to FOUR consecutive acting roles. When you have that kind of run, while people like Madonna failed to catch a single break despite multiple attempts, you have to wonder whether"luck" played any part at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 19, 2021 4:59 AM

Whitney fell off hard after The Bodyguard, which is understandable since it was such a huge success for her. She wasn't able to keep building on her success the way that Streisand was. No one has been at Barbra's level as both an actress and singer.

Whitney experienced rapid vocal decline after The Bodyguard, as well. She became very erratic as a singer about a year later and never recovered. Celine then came on the scene and was a more gifted singer.

by Anonymousreply 162September 19, 2021 5:05 AM

R161 You do realize Madonna had Dick Tracy. Truth or Dare, A League of Their Own, and Evita within a 5 year span, right? Of course you do. You’re trying to spark a stan war, freak.

The updated Cinderella was successful because Brandy was the hot new thing at the time. TPW and WTE were not successful because WHITNEY was attached to them or are you arguing that? LMFAO.

by Anonymousreply 163September 19, 2021 5:06 AM

[quote]Don't forget Whitney also starred in the hugely successful TV remake of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella that extended her string of "luck" to FOUR consecutive acting roles.

I'm sorry to tell you this R161 but the only reason people watched Cinderella was because Whitney had previously been in the Kevin Costner movie, "Kevin Costner's: The Bodyguard."

I'm not sure if you recall this but many headlines of the time only referred to her as "Kevin Costner's former co-star Whitney Houston."

Hell, Leeza Gibbons once accidentally referred to her as Kevin Costner during a red carpet appearance. Whitney, having been used to being referred to this over the years since the Bodyguard, simply responded and did not miss a beat.

by Anonymousreply 164September 19, 2021 5:08 AM

The Steve McQueen/Diana Ross version of this movie would have been amazing. I could do without Ryan O'Neal though as I find him revolting.

by Anonymousreply 165September 19, 2021 5:26 AM

Cinderella was a TV movie, not a theatrical one and people tuned in to see Brandy at that point, even though Whitney produced it and gave herself a small role. She did great with "Impossible" but, in typical late-Whitney style, oversang the shit out of the closing number, bringing an otherwise stellar production to an obnoxious end.

by Anonymousreply 166September 19, 2021 5:26 AM

Everyone knew, after TBG, Whits had a drug issue. A big one. She wasn’t a huge personality people would go to the movies to see. Whit was bland. If she had an inth more star quality she could have been huge. She didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 167September 19, 2021 5:30 AM

[quote]I'm sorry to tell you this [R161] but the only reason people watched Cinderella was because Whitney had previously been in the Kevin Costner movie, "Kevin Costner's: The Bodyguard."

[quote]I'm not sure if you recall this but many headlines of the time only referred to her as "Kevin Costner's former co-star Whitney Houston."

Just stop 😂 😂 😂 You're embarrassing yourself acting like the American public had to be introduced to Whitney Houston at the height of her fame. And funny how Costner's magic rubbed off only on her while he was himself falling out of favor with the epic bomb Waterworld.

We get it: The Bodyguard was only successful because of Kevin Costner and the female lead had gets no credit. Waiting to Exhale's success was due to Angela Bassett, never mind Whitney getting top billing. The Preacher's Wife was a Denzel movie despite Whitney playing the title role. And Cinderella's success was due to Brandy's "hot-young-star" status and Costner's magic from The Bodyguard, nothing to do with its star-producer.

BTW, I wish Whitney had sung more show tunes. They suited her well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168September 19, 2021 5:32 AM

Waterworld came out a few years after TBG.

by Anonymousreply 169September 19, 2021 5:36 AM

[quote]You're embarrassing yourself acting like the American public had to be introduced to Whitney Houston

If my sarcasm has to be explained to you ....

Also it's funny because I was in elementary school when the movie came out.

by Anonymousreply 170September 19, 2021 5:50 AM

R168 LMFAO you are definitely getting triggered now. Your standom is showing and it’s HYSTERICAL.

by Anonymousreply 171September 19, 2021 5:53 AM

Lbh, the original was utter shite that was saved by Dolly Parton. End of.

by Anonymousreply 172September 19, 2021 6:13 AM

R30, I can't imagine what could be more sexless than a pairing of hard boiled lezzer Taylor Swift and chinless closet case Michael B. Jordan.

Central Casting, you're not.

by Anonymousreply 173September 19, 2021 6:25 AM

This will end up being a low-budget streamer remake on Shudder.

by Anonymousreply 174September 19, 2021 6:26 AM

172-174 is. Blocked. Janbot?

by Anonymousreply 175September 19, 2021 6:27 AM

The Bodyguard was SO bad it didn't even net 1 Golden Globe nomination. Not even a nomination for Whitney in the Musical/Comedy category.

by Anonymousreply 176September 19, 2021 6:28 AM

Trolldar shows the blocked poster at 171-174, 176 is the Anti- Madonna, Celine, Mariah loon. IOW Janbot.

by Anonymousreply 177September 19, 2021 6:31 AM

It makes sense that Lopez would get this gig since The Inheritance was much closer to Valley of The Dolls than Angels In America.

by Anonymousreply 178September 19, 2021 6:32 AM

Frank Grillo as The Bodyguard is the best casting I've heard yet.

by Anonymousreply 179September 19, 2021 6:34 AM

Sam Smith as R'Chel Marron (with a gender-indeterminate first name).

Laverne Cox as Francesca Farmer.

by Anonymousreply 180September 19, 2021 6:45 AM

The Bodyguard succeeded because it was a HUGE date movie.

by Anonymousreply 181September 19, 2021 6:53 AM

Would the original have been such a huge hit if it hadn't been for the interracial aspect? If it had been a black cast with Whitney romancing Denzel and a mainly R&B soundtrack, would so many white audiences have gone to see it?

At the same time if it had been Costner paired with some white actress would so many black people have watched it or bought the (very pop) soundtrack? No white female singer of that age group was as big a global star as Whitney and also able to sing like she could back then.

Movies like "Waiting to Exhale Shoop Shoop" and "Preacher's Wife" were hits in America. "The Bodyguard" was an enormous international phenomenon at the time like "Pretty Woman" had been a few years prior.

by Anonymousreply 182September 19, 2021 7:21 AM

Celine couldn't have sung those songs?

by Anonymousreply 183September 19, 2021 7:23 AM

^ Not the same way. There's only one Whitney

by Anonymousreply 184September 19, 2021 10:23 AM

Celine could maybe have sung the more pop songs from the soundtrack but I think the funkier numbers like "I'm Every Woman" would have been more challenging for her. Besides she had only just started to get noticed in the US market with her BatB single and in any case she wasn't going to get cast in the lead of a big Hollywood movie opposite Kevin Costner. There was no white singer-actress around who could have been cast in that role and also sung the songs. (Not counting the biracial Mariah who was also a relatively new performer at the time.)

by Anonymousreply 185September 19, 2021 11:58 AM

I adored both Houston and Costner so I couldn't wait to see "The Bodyguard". What wasn't to be eager about? Two big stars, the interracial love story and, let's remember, during the early 90s, excellent marketing by a big studio could still generate an "event" first-run, go-to-the-movies experience.

I begged my sister to take me. Opening day, theatres were running an afternoon matinee. She didn't like going to a movies but she had a car, I didn't, and I wore her down.

About 1/2 hour into the movie, she remarked out loud to me, "I wish the killer would shoot her, shoot him, and then shoot me for agreeing to be at this terrible movie".

I laughed. It's true. "The Bodyguard" is one corny-assed movie. But, of course, that's its charm: Sy Spector (Gary Kemp): "Rachel has a job to do! Out there! Look, she's so hot right now!"

That lightening in a bottle is gone and it ain't coming back, but that won't prevent me from keeping an eye on the casting of the remake.

by Anonymousreply 186September 19, 2021 12:21 PM

Forgot add, I hope the screenplay of the remake has the bad taste to include a cameo by Costner.

by Anonymousreply 187September 19, 2021 12:28 PM

Whitney's character Rachel is kind of a bitch in the movie. I remember rooting for the killer to kill both her and Costner.

by Anonymousreply 188September 19, 2021 12:35 PM

Whitney's music was beyond stake by the time The Bodyguard came around. Her first three albums sounded interchangeable, except they each sounded more dated than the one that preceded it, "I'm Your Baby Tonight" being the worst of them. (Dont give me chart numbers; popularity doesn't indicate quality. The music was awful by album three.) The Bodyguard reignited her musical career, giving her material and a sound that was far better than what she had before. It made for a great interest beberator in the movie so yes, it was the pairing if the two--not just Costner--that made the Bodyguard a success. (But as for Cinderella. . .um. ...the name DISNEY also had a bit to do with it. And Brandy was the appeal to a generation or two to whom Whitney was some singer their parents and grandparents listened to.)

by Anonymousreply 189September 19, 2021 2:03 PM

I think Ariana Grande paired with a young black actor would work. Not really a fan of her but she's probably the top female pop star right now. She even has the best voice amongst them - If only she could enunciate better.

by Anonymousreply 190September 19, 2021 2:22 PM

People went to The Bodyguard to see Whitney. Who the hell cares about Kevin Costner? He’s a bore in everything.

Whitney was big and this was her much anticipated first movie. I remember everyone waiting for the first single. I recall the radio station first playing Queen of the Night as the first single (which is Whitney trying to sing rock) and then it subsequently moved quickly to I WIll Always Love You. There was huge anticipation about the movie because of Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 191September 19, 2021 2:40 PM

Ariana Grande has an amazing voice but she can’t pack an emotional wallop with any of her songs. At this point I don’t see her leaving much of an impact with her career

by Anonymousreply 192September 19, 2021 2:41 PM

The whole setup of The Bodyguard is ridiculous.

A superstar singer now stars in a movie and is up for The Academy Award for acting (because a Grammy for singing isn’t major enough so they had to somehow stick the Oscars on there)

by Anonymousreply 193September 19, 2021 2:43 PM

If you were there in 1992, this was an exciting time!

Bill Clinton had just been elected as President of the United States, so things were looking up finally after twelve horrifying Reagan/Bush years.

Kevin had starred in, produced, and directed a juggernaut of hits since 1987, and 'The Bodyguard's success had a lot to do with him.

Whitney, however, was also a huge draw. And it wasn't "just one song really." Throughout the movie, various songs are important parts of the film, especially "Queen of the Night" and "I Have Nothing."

It's a fun film from a fondly-remembered era at the end of 1992.

MARRON BITCH - YOU HAVE EVERYTHING. I HAVE NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 194September 19, 2021 3:08 PM

R191 is delusional.

Kevin Costner was one of the biggest male stars on the planet in 1992, a recent Oscar winner, second only to Tom Cruise at the box office.

"Queen of the Night" was never commercially released as a single, though promo records were sent to club djs and radio station. "I Will Always Love You" was the first single, released three weeks prior to the film's release.

by Anonymousreply 195September 19, 2021 3:12 PM

I'm watching it right now on SHOWTIME. It's almost over.

I'd say the award for Best Wooden Performance is a tie between Houston and Costner.

"The Bodyguard" packs more cheese than Sargento, and I say that with love.

by Anonymousreply 196September 19, 2021 3:13 PM

Della, I'm recording it on Showtime right now!

by Anonymousreply 197September 19, 2021 3:25 PM

R195

by Anonymousreply 198September 19, 2021 3:25 PM

Cool, r197!

by Anonymousreply 199September 19, 2021 3:29 PM

Is the Madonna Loon sleeping it off right now?

That was a Matthew Anscher-level string of rants by Madonna Loon.

by Anonymousreply 200September 19, 2021 3:31 PM

Houston, however, despite her wooden acting, does have a screen presence. To use a corny phrase, the camera loves her.

by Anonymousreply 201September 19, 2021 3:32 PM

Was that raggedy cut just as Whitney and Kevin are about to kiss done on purpose just to show the director thought cutting it was a stupid idea too?

by Anonymousreply 202September 19, 2021 3:36 PM

Kevin's Caesar haircut did get some negative press.

Then, just two years later in 1994, George Clooney made the same haircut a worldwide sensation!

by Anonymousreply 203September 19, 2021 3:38 PM

Shit, all this talk about The Bodyguard is making me want to watch it again. I haven't seen it in nearly three decades so it'll be fun to walk down memory lane. Like a poster said above, 1992 was a good time.

by Anonymousreply 204September 19, 2021 3:45 PM

I want to watch it again too!

by Anonymousreply 205September 19, 2021 3:48 PM

quote] It's not like Whitney was playing Medea or Blanche DuBois.

lol!

by Anonymousreply 206September 19, 2021 3:58 PM

ooops I tried to quote r116 at r206.

by Anonymousreply 207September 19, 2021 4:00 PM

[quote]"I'm Your Baby Tonight" being the worst of them. (Dont give me chart numbers; popularity doesn't indicate quality. The music was awful by album three.)

R189 has no clue what he's talking about. 'I'm Your Baby Tonight' was a departure from Whitney's first two heavily pop albums as it was her first true R&B album, which we now know was a direct reaction to getting booed at the 1989 Soul Train Awards for allegedly singing "white".

And, no! Under no stretch can album tracks like this be considered "awful" music by an objective listener. Ageing like a fine wine, in fact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208September 19, 2021 4:03 PM

[quote] Forgot add, I hope the screenplay of the remake has the bad taste to include a cameo by Costner.

Here's how a remake could get by with that and it wouldn't be his actual physical presence.

I premise this on pure conjecture that Costner would decline to appear in a cameo, out of, well, having the good taste to do so. If both he and Houston were alive and both could be in the cameo, that would be one thing, but I don't think he would want to be accused of exploiting or self-aggrandizing at the expense of Houston, especially in today's social media cesspool.

The current star in the remake could be a HUGE Rachel Marron fan. He or she would have a collage of her pix on his cell phone and one of the pix would clearly show both Rachel and Frank Farmer in a loving look at each other.

*sigh* Must I think of everything?

by Anonymousreply 209September 19, 2021 4:18 PM

"has no clue what he's talking about."

Oh, I have many a clue, dear. You just have pedestrian taste in music. Move along with your arrogant musical illiteracy.

by Anonymousreply 210September 19, 2021 4:21 PM

The soundtrack is very uneven in spite of all the hits. "Queen of the Night" is awful shit and Whitney trying to sing rock is laughably bad. And I hate the "Jesus Loves Me" number which is just obnoxious Bible-thumping nonsense. Did any of the other singers whose tracks appeared on the soundtrack have any singles released?

by Anonymousreply 211September 19, 2021 5:10 PM

F211, I agree that Queen of the Night is a bit of a misfire but the rest is spectacular

by Anonymousreply 212September 19, 2021 5:13 PM

F211, don’t know if it was ever officially released but It’s Gonna Be A Lovely Day is a well known song

by Anonymousreply 213September 19, 2021 5:14 PM

[quote]The whole setup of The Bodyguard is ridiculous. A superstar singer now stars in a movie and is up for The Academy Award for acting (because a Grammy for singing isn’t major enough so they had to somehow stick the Oscars on there)

Umm, I believe that has actually happened several times over the years. Lady Gaga in A STAR IS BORN is one recent example.

by Anonymousreply 214September 19, 2021 5:43 PM

Honest question: Why would anyone INSIST that people went to see THE BODYGUARD only for Whitney, or only for Costner, when it goes without saying that many people went to see both of them? How addled does a person's brain have to be, and how horrible their personality, to insist on something that's obviously not true? There's nothing worse than a supposed know-it-all who actually knows nothing.

by Anonymousreply 215September 19, 2021 5:46 PM

Of course people went to see The Bodyguard for both Costner and Houston. Costner was one of the biggest stars at the time, he had already starred in The Untouchables, No Way Out, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams and Robin Hood. He had also recently won the Oscar for Best Director for Dances with Wolves. He was huge at the time.

Whitney, of course, was one of music's biggest stars. I'm Your Baby Tonight wasn't as big as her first two albums, but she still had two #1 songs from that album and her recording of the Star-Spangled Banner a year earlier reminded everyone what an amazing singer she was.

Costner and Houston together and their great chemistry along with their star power and the soundtrack made The Bodyguard a smash.

by Anonymousreply 216September 19, 2021 5:55 PM

R216, exactly. So again, what kind of severe mental or personality defect would cause some fools to INSIST that people went to see that movie ONLY for Houston OR Costner, but not for both of them? Is there a name for that kind of insanity? Maybe Faux-Know-It-All Syndrome?

by Anonymousreply 217September 19, 2021 6:12 PM

R153 Don't make me laugh.

Last Beyonce's single that did well on charts was Drunk in love, the rest had a high peak for her first week streamings. And she doesn't have a radio hit in ages

by Anonymousreply 218September 19, 2021 6:34 PM

In the remake, the Rachel Marron character could be targeted by Trump supporters shouting “Jews will not replace us!” It could be good.

by Anonymousreply 219September 19, 2021 7:52 PM

The Whitney loon is talking to itself. What would I care- she’s dead as a fucking door nail. Whitney loon is so hyperbolic. “Only WHITNEY could do the movie. Only WHITNEY had the acting, singing, stage presence, charisma, dancing, and was the BIGGEST stah in THE WORLD!!!!!. No one went to see it because of Costner. They went to see it because of WHITNEY. All the blacks flooded movie theaters!!!!!!!”

Dear dear dear. Wow.

Beyoncé would destroy the Whitney version. She’s bigger than Whitney ever was. TBG saved her career and is the thing she is remembered for as it is certainly not her vanilla music. Beyoncé has more overall talent and she would pack the seats.

by Anonymousreply 220September 19, 2021 8:05 PM

"I'm Your Baby Tonight" is not a true R&B album. There's still more MOR treacle like on the first two albums. The title track was a misdirection for buyers.

by Anonymousreply 221September 19, 2021 9:11 PM

[Quote] There was no white singer-actress around who could have been cast in that role and also sung the songs.

Taylor Dayne?

by Anonymousreply 222September 19, 2021 9:12 PM

"Queen of the Night" is indeed shit. Ditto "My Name Is Not Susan."

by Anonymousreply 223September 19, 2021 9:12 PM

[quote] Beyoncé would destroy the Whitney version. She’s bigger than Whitney ever was.

Maybe back in 2005. Her time has passed.

by Anonymousreply 224September 19, 2021 9:18 PM

R220, I agree, but Beyonce is now too old. The movie needs an actress in her 20s. Plus, Beyonce's music doesn't sell anymore, or at least not to the extent that the soundtrack would sell even 1/10th as much as Whitney's did. Top 40 radio won't even play Beyonce anymore.

by Anonymousreply 225September 19, 2021 9:20 PM

The most obvious choice is Gaga. They need new songs, of course.

by Anonymousreply 226September 19, 2021 9:20 PM

R222 Whitney loon is just trying to elicit a reaction from stans of other divas. He’s not very subtle.

Dolly Parton doesn’t have a big voice at all yet her version of IWALY is far superior. Femme bottoms love the bombastic voices thinking that is great singing.

by Anonymousreply 227September 19, 2021 9:21 PM

Gaga is too old and too ugly and doesn’t have the voice.

by Anonymousreply 228September 19, 2021 9:22 PM

[Quote] Femme bottoms

Speaking of trying to elicit a reaction...

by Anonymousreply 229September 19, 2021 9:25 PM

The movie doesn’t have to have a singer like Whitney. It could be a country singer, an R&B singer, a rapper, a medium voiced singer songwriter type.

by Anonymousreply 230September 19, 2021 9:26 PM

[Quote] Gaga is too old and too ugly and doesn’t have the voice.

Some probably said the same about Gaga next to Streisand. Anyway, new songs would be written for her voice.

by Anonymousreply 231September 19, 2021 9:26 PM

Gaga is not that popular. She isn’t anywhere near one of the biggest current stars. She’s too ugly. Streisand had charisma and the camera loved her. Gaga is nowhere near having that.

by Anonymousreply 232September 19, 2021 9:29 PM

R214, that plot point in A Stat is Born is stupid too.

As if she’s not a major star as a singer and has to win an Academy Award to be noticed

by Anonymousreply 233September 19, 2021 9:30 PM

R232, Streisand’s charisma is wedded to her Borscht Circuit schtick. She basically plays the same character in every movie

by Anonymousreply 234September 19, 2021 9:31 PM

R234 Give it up

The Academy Awards are not what they used to be. Shit gets nominated now.

by Anonymousreply 235September 19, 2021 9:32 PM

[Quote] Gaga is not that popular. She isn’t anywhere near one of the biggest current stars. She’s too ugly. Streisand had charisma and the camera loved her. Gaga is nowhere near having that.

Gaga managed to snag an Oscar nomination. Whitney didn't. Madonna didn't. Gaga is a no brainer for this project.

by Anonymousreply 236September 19, 2021 9:32 PM

Gaga already played this character in A Star is Born. If she wants her movie career to move forward, she shouldn’t keep playing herself

by Anonymousreply 237September 19, 2021 9:34 PM

R236 Playing herself. The Oscars are not exactly nominating the best. It is all bullshit now. Gaga would ruin this project. She’s not popular despite how hard they push her down our throats.

by Anonymousreply 238September 19, 2021 9:35 PM

It has to be Ariana and Pete Davidson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239September 19, 2021 9:37 PM

Beyonce is the only one with the gravitas to play this. Not that Whitney had it but she was a star. Beyonce has the attitude and charisma. The songs would be off the charts for her. She would have hits again because these songs would be radio friendly unlike what she has done lately.

by Anonymousreply 240September 19, 2021 9:37 PM

Taylor. She is a singer songwriter who has an obsessive fan which ends up being a crazy DLer so naturally her bodyguard must be Mario Cantone.

by Anonymousreply 241September 19, 2021 9:39 PM

Gaga was popular enough to get an Oscar nomination and a big hit song. She was able to withstand comparisons with Streisand. She would be able to do the same with Whitney, who was a modern day Streisand in terms of the schlock she tended to put out.

by Anonymousreply 242September 19, 2021 9:40 PM

If Taylor Swift is cast, the bodyguard should be Zac Efron.

by Anonymousreply 243September 19, 2021 9:40 PM

Gaga is nowhere near the league of Streisand or Whitney. Her getting nominated was a joke and not indicative of popularity. She is only compared to Streisand, Madonna, Whitney because her fucking record company and the media companies who own them relentlessly push that narrative.

by Anonymousreply 244September 19, 2021 9:42 PM

Beyonce is a bigger star than Whitney. Beyonce will surpass Madonna soon.

by Anonymousreply 245September 19, 2021 9:48 PM

[Quote] Gaga is nowhere near the league of Streisand or Whitney. Her getting nominated was a joke and not indicative of popularity. She is only compared to Streisand, Madonna, Whitney because her fucking record company and the media companies who own them relentlessly push that narrative.

Streisand and Whitney were mostly associated with lowest common denominator output. The Bodyguard and A Star Is Born were not Sunset Boulevard. Gaga is exactly the level they should seek.

by Anonymousreply 246September 19, 2021 9:56 PM

Just trying to unite threads but what about Zendaya. Apparenly she is both beautiful and a gifted actress and singer.

by Anonymousreply 247September 19, 2021 9:56 PM

Zendaya is at least interesting and doesn’t have that huge big annoying voice.

by Anonymousreply 248September 19, 2021 9:58 PM

Rihanna has been cast in the Whitney role and I think she'll be brilliant. One of the few who can actually sing the songs.

by Anonymousreply 249September 19, 2021 9:58 PM

Perhaps Megan thee Stallion could bring this remake alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250September 19, 2021 9:58 PM

They're gender swapping and Harry Styles will be the Whitney character with a big gay bodyguard.

by Anonymousreply 251September 19, 2021 9:59 PM

Sing what songs? Rihanna would be a fool to touch any of the Whitney songs.

by Anonymousreply 252September 19, 2021 10:11 PM

[Quote] Styles will be the Whitney character with a big gay bodyguard.

Unfortunately the big gay bodyguard will be Fortune Feimster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253September 19, 2021 10:13 PM

R253 YES!

R252 No one wants to touch those shitty, kitschy songs. Write new ones.

by Anonymousreply 254September 19, 2021 10:17 PM

They should work Rihanna's catalogue into the remake. She can instruct the bodyguard to "work, work, work, work."

by Anonymousreply 255September 19, 2021 10:21 PM

[quote][R214], that plot point in A Stat is Born is stupid too. As if she’s not a major star as a singer and has to win an Academy Award to be noticed

I'm not talking about that plot point in A STAR IS BORN. I'm talking about the fact that, in real life, Lady Gaga first achieved major stardom as a singer, and then, for her debut film as an actress (and singer), she received an Academy Award nomination for her acting. So I don't see anything silly or stupid about that plot point in THE BODYGUARD.

by Anonymousreply 256September 19, 2021 10:29 PM

I nominate Stevie Nicks and Harry Styles!

Chemistry through the roof!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257September 19, 2021 10:35 PM

I'd love to see Stevie running, pointing guns, rolling over car hoods - all to protect Harry Styles.

by Anonymousreply 258September 19, 2021 10:43 PM

[quote]Dont give me chart numbers; popularity doesn't indicate quality. The music was awful by album three.

Chart numbers, or rather sales indicate how many people were willing to spend money on that record because they liked the songs and the artist enough to do so. It has nothing to do with "opinion." There are actual tangible facts behind sales.

"I'm Your Baby Tonight" was just as big as "My Love is Your Love." Both sold 10 million worldwide but only "I'm Your Baby Tonight" had a #1 R&B chart hit. On the other hand "My Love is Your Love" sold more copies specifically in France and Germany.

That being said both albums sold only half as much as Whitney did worldwide at 20 million. Meanwhile the Bodyguard sold 45 million worldwide. It was huge and the best selling album Whitney had ever been part of including her own.

It should be noted that her sales dropped down to 2 million worldwide for her next and final albums with "I Look to You" scoring #1 hits. The music industry had changed by that point (in the late 00s) so in a way, that's expected.

[quote] I agree, but Beyonce is now too old. The movie needs an actress in her 20s.

I strongly disagree. Part of the appeal of "The Bodyguard" was that it starred two people who weren't in their 20s. Adults like to see adults. Both characters were pretty far along in their careers. Furthermore, there's an appeal there for people in their 30s and 40s who don't have children but are still ... looking for love. That's the audience for this kind of movie. Teenagers and people just starting out their lives in their 20s aren't going to see romcoms.

by Anonymousreply 259September 19, 2021 10:44 PM

[Quote] The music industry had changed by that point (in the late 00s) so in a way, that's expected.

Nah, didn't she do "Just Whitney" without Clive? And her voice had gone by the time of "I Look To You" so most of the public steered clear.

by Anonymousreply 260September 19, 2021 10:46 PM

[quote]Nah, didn't she do "Just Whitney" without Clive?

No, not "nah."

You completely overlooked streaming services being easily accessible for people in the 00s.

That changed record sales for everyone. That was my point.

by Anonymousreply 261September 19, 2021 10:49 PM

Streaming was big in the early '00s?

by Anonymousreply 262September 19, 2021 10:50 PM

Whitney's Whatchulookinat video was uploaded to YouTube ten years ago and it still only has 2.1 million views. People weren't here for that era. Facts.

by Anonymousreply 263September 19, 2021 10:52 PM

r259 speaking as an elder gay, when I was a kid I liked watching adults too, that's all there was to watch. The entertainment industry had not started to cater solely to young people except for Saturday morning cartoons. There was not Sesame Street but there was Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo.

It is my elder opinion that when entertainment began to cater to youth it brought the whole industry down and took society down with it. Maturity (things that used to appeal to adults) is not celebrated. Everyone must be cool, no adults no the room please they just kill all the fun. Meanwhile, everything turns to shit and no none take responsibility for anything. Things are stuck in perpetual adolescence and that leaves no room or desire for adult topics or portrayals.

by Anonymousreply 264September 19, 2021 11:02 PM

ASIB was not Gaga’s film debut. She wasn’t Oscar worthy in it, either.

by Anonymousreply 265September 19, 2021 11:02 PM

[quote]Streaming was big in the early '00s?

"I Look to You" came out in 2009. "Just Whitney" came out in 2002.

I should have quote-tweeted that whole sentence and not just the first part. I wouldn't say napster had as big of an effect in the early 00s as paid streaming services did in the mid to late 00s and beyond.

Long story short, by 2010, album sales were at 326.3 million worldwide and that was the lowest it had been since 1993. I'm not speaking to the quality of Whitney's work by that point. People just weren't buying albums as much as they had been so even if the album had of been great and people loved her to bits, it wasn't going to reach the same sales as her other ones had. Here's a great chart at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266September 19, 2021 11:04 PM

You can call me a big old MARY! But thinking about Whitney still makes me want to cry.

I get so emotional.

by Anonymousreply 267September 19, 2021 11:07 PM

I was about 13 when The Bodyguard came out. I LOVED it. And even though I was into punk rock and alternative music, I went down to Sam Goody at the mall and bought that fucking soundtrack!

My love of Whitney was cemented and has never wavered.

I actually think this might be a decent remake - and I can't believe I'm writing that - because the original wasn't exactly Godfather 2. There's room to improve upon it.

Gaga's A Star is Born has to be why they're even thinking about doing this. The movie made a killing and the soundtrack has gone diamond (very rare these days).

I could see an Olivia Rodrigo in the Whitney role.

by Anonymousreply 268September 19, 2021 11:13 PM

R268 MARY! OML. So OTT. Bwhahahaha

by Anonymousreply 269September 19, 2021 11:15 PM

Gaga and Bradley will use this as their reunion vehicle and it will be brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 270September 20, 2021 12:15 AM

R269, I don't have many Mary! moments, but my young teen self buying The Bodyguard soundtrack was certainly one of them. I snuck in the store and made sure no one I knew was in the vicinity.

I also hid the CD from my friends for a long time. Didn't want anyone to know I was listening to X one minute, and Whitney the next!

by Anonymousreply 271September 20, 2021 12:31 AM

R271 seek help. Nobody believes you listened to any other music but sugar pop.

by Anonymousreply 272September 20, 2021 12:33 AM

r270 [sugar pop]

testing

by Anonymousreply 273September 20, 2021 12:35 AM

[remake]

of a remake

by Anonymousreply 274September 20, 2021 12:36 AM

[quote] remake at

testing

by Anonymousreply 275September 20, 2021 12:36 AM

R252 I bet Rihanna can pull off this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276September 20, 2021 11:49 AM

So it's going to be Rihanna?

by Anonymousreply 277September 20, 2021 2:20 PM

As Whitney's music turned more towards R&B, white audiences didn't buy her albums as much.

by Anonymousreply 278September 20, 2021 3:16 PM

Rihanna can't act....like at all. She was beyond horrible in that Ocean's movie and Battleship. She makes Madonna and Beyonce look like Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 279September 20, 2021 3:54 PM

[Quote] As Whitney's music turned more towards R&B, white audiences didn't buy her albums as much.

R&B doesn't mean forgettable songs. Whitney could have rode the bubblegum r&b of the early '00s or the Nu Soul movement but she lacked the memorable songs after "My Love Is Your Love."

by Anonymousreply 280September 20, 2021 6:12 PM

Beyonce is probably a bit old at 40 but Gaga is white and there would be an uproar if a black actress wasn't cast. Megan Thee is too damn fat.

by Anonymousreply 281September 20, 2021 6:14 PM

I cosign what a poster said earlier about TBG being a mature love story for mature audiences. Bey is 40 not 80. Her age is perfectly suitable for a remake of this flick. Besides, she doesn't have to play 40 in the movie if gasp! 40 is soooo over the hill. She looks good. She could pass for someone five or ten years younger.

by Anonymousreply 282September 20, 2021 6:48 PM

[Quote] Beyonce is probably a bit old at 40 but Gaga is white and there would be an uproar if a black actress wasn't cast.

Not if they cast the bodyguard with Henry Golding (Goulding?).

by Anonymousreply 283September 20, 2021 8:58 PM

Gaga loons want this to happen, but this new movie is going to kill any illusion she could actually act. She’s terrible. Beyonce? YES. Taylor? YES. Rihanna?YES. Camilla? YES. Billie? YES. Katy? YES. Dua? YES.

by Anonymousreply 284September 20, 2021 9:39 PM

Why don't they leave well enough alone? What lack of originality

by Anonymousreply 285September 20, 2021 9:42 PM

[Quote] Gaga loons want this to happen, but this new movie is going to kill any illusion she could actually act. She’s terrible. Beyonce? YES. Taylor? YES. Rihanna?YES. Camilla? YES. Billie? YES. Katy? YES. Dua? YES.

And any of those will act better than Gaga? Doubtful.

by Anonymousreply 286September 20, 2021 11:05 PM

R286 Yes cuz Gaga can’t act.

by Anonymousreply 287September 20, 2021 11:10 PM

[Quote] Yes cuz Gaga can’t act.

And yet she managed to get an Oscar nomination. Madonna couldn't. Beyonce couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 288September 20, 2021 11:20 PM

Zendaya can play the younger, pre crack Whitney.

Lisa Bonet can play the declining, cracky Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 289September 20, 2021 11:24 PM

R288 She was given an unworthy nom. Why are you bringing others up? I see your agenda. It doesn’t take away from the fact Gaga can’t act. Plenty of people have gotten Oscar acting noms who can’t act.

by Anonymousreply 290September 20, 2021 11:28 PM

[Quote] Why are you bringing others up?

Because they are her competitors for the role, silly.

by Anonymousreply 291September 20, 2021 11:31 PM

Madonna is not competing for the role. Beyonce could easily get an Oscar nom. Plus, she’s actually pretty, has charisma, and has a much better voice that fug ass Gudga.

by Anonymousreply 292September 20, 2021 11:32 PM

Ummmm this role is NOT an Oscar worthy role.

by Anonymousreply 293September 20, 2021 11:33 PM

[Quote] Beyonce could easily get an Oscar nom

She hasn't thus far. They tried to get her one via "Listen" in Dreamgirls but no dice. Same as with her Etta James role in Cadillac Records. Gaga is ahead of the pack.

by Anonymousreply 294September 20, 2021 11:36 PM

Gaga, despite living for the validation of awards, is still a 2nd tier entertainer. She tries and tries and tries. You seem to think the only thing worthwhile is an Oscar nom when so many shit actors have gotten them. Who really gives a fuck about an Oscar now? No one under 50. Nothing about Gags is organic. Beyonce has a billion times her star quality.

by Anonymousreply 295September 20, 2021 11:42 PM

Who is the poster who thinks that any of the roles in The Bodyguard is an Oscar-caliber one? Take Costner and Whitney out of the original and it was an E! Original movie at best.

by Anonymousreply 296September 21, 2021 6:07 AM

Was Suzie Diamond an Oscar caliber role?

by Anonymousreply 297September 21, 2021 6:16 AM

It's really killing this Madonna nut that the media is describing the movie as "iconic" and a "Whitney Houston movie".

by Anonymousreply 298September 21, 2021 11:58 AM

Inheritance was yawn inducing, derivative, dull and almost plagiaristic R150, stealing from much better sources like Longtime Companion, AIA, and Howard’s End. And NY audiences agreed en masse as it closed in months and was ignored for awards.

by Anonymousreply 299September 21, 2021 12:55 PM

R299. the audiences didn't go because it was about gays and was shown as two separate plays, requiring two separate tickets.

It wouldn't have mattered if it was the greatest play ever written, nothing with that combination would have lasted long.

It will, however, win the Best Play Tony

by Anonymousreply 300September 21, 2021 1:39 PM

[R299]. the audiences didn't go because it was about gays and was shown as two separate plays, requiring two separate tickets.

Right. Like ANGELS IN AMERICA. (And yes, I know that one wasn't TOTALLY about gays, but it was mostly about gays.)

by Anonymousreply 301September 21, 2021 8:02 PM

Why. Jeez can't people come up with original ideas

by Anonymousreply 302September 21, 2021 8:04 PM

I think this is a stupid shit idea to make a remake of. I still haven't seen the original. Loved the music but the whole idea was like Nah. and sounds uninteresting.

However since everyone is go on about who can and can't act. Can I drop in the name of Janelle Monae who is the best singer/actress out there.

by Anonymousreply 303September 21, 2021 8:08 PM

[quote]There's no real superstars like Whitney anymore.

Has the US run out of cocaine?

The Bodyguard came out in 1992. Thirty years ago. If a movie made in 1940 was remade in 1970, it wouldn't be considered "too soon." I like R303's Janelle Monae idea.

by Anonymousreply 304September 21, 2021 8:15 PM

Too soon because it's a stupid movie.

by Anonymousreply 305September 21, 2021 8:36 PM

[quote] Can I drop in the name of Janelle Monae who is the best singer/actress out there.

Sadly, she's not a name that would attract many people to the box office.

by Anonymousreply 306September 21, 2021 8:36 PM

R298 You’re not the media, dear. And no one gives a fat fuck this stupid movie is considered a Whitney movie.

by Anonymousreply 307September 21, 2021 11:27 PM

Who cares

by Anonymousreply 308September 22, 2021 12:01 AM

Maybe Rachel can be a trans woman.

by Anonymousreply 309September 22, 2021 1:10 AM

R309, she should be one. It's the only way to apologize for Whiney's video for I'm Every Woman not including any transwomen. That was transphobic as hell and deliberately exclusionary.

Rachel needs to be a transwoman of color in the remake.

by Anonymousreply 310September 28, 2021 1:36 PM

Alex Newell could sings the songs.

by Anonymousreply 311September 28, 2021 2:54 PM

No one will ever be able to deliver those lines of dialogue like Miss Houston, though…

“No…it’s not my blood….I’m NOT shot…..it’s…..my…..BODYGUARD!”.

by Anonymousreply 312September 28, 2021 4:38 PM

With Matthew Lopez's Tony win on Sunday, this project's buzz just skyrocketed. I think he could do for it what Bradley Cooper did for ASIB and turn it into a huge global hit.

by Anonymousreply 313September 28, 2021 5:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!