Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergay Stephen Sondheim workshopping NEW musical with Nathan Lane and Bernadette Peters

This, according to Nathan Lane's interview. I wonder if it's actually new (as, in something he wrote in the past year or so) or something that's been sitting on a shelf for decades. Either way, it's welcome news. I'll take second tier Sondheim over the dull, uninspired scores that get produced on Broadway these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 22, 2021 9:24 AM

Please, God, no.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2021 11:57 PM

Golden Girls: The Musical

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2021 11:58 PM

Sondheim is an ancientgay, not an eldergay.

Hmmm … a new Sondheim, or another musical adapted from a cartoon or teevee show … hmmm …❓. 🤔❓

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2021 12:01 AM

My condolences to Bernadette. She deserves better.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2021 12:01 AM

Eldergay is over 30 so yes Sondheim would be an ancient gay which is like what? Over 55?

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2021 12:07 AM

Apparently it’s called Square One and it opens next season.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2021 6:40 AM

Sondheim looked great -- much trimmer than he's looked in recent years. As R6 mentioned, Sondheim confirmed it was a work with David Ives (one would assume the same work that's been gestating for a while) and that the workshop was well received. He didn't definitely say it was going to open next season, but more that it appears to be heading in that direction. I hope he's right!

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2021 8:01 AM

I was hoping for “Follies 2: Electric Boogaloo”

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2021 8:21 AM

Eldergays rejoice!

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2021 8:30 AM

It will run eight months, just long enough to lose the entire investment and Sondheimites to see it twice and scream it's the greatest thing they ever saw.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2021 9:06 AM

Sondheim has had way more successes than flops. Even musicals like Follies which at one time were not well received are now much beloved. Not sure why you think it will flop R10.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2021 9:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2021 10:18 AM

Will Bernadette actually fucking SING in this one or just recite the lyrics like it's a spoken word piece?

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2021 10:37 AM

If it's what they were saying he was working on, it's an adaptation of two Buñuel films - the Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and the Exterminating Angel.

These were great movies but I don't see a musical version working. And not exactly crowd pleasers.

And yes, most of Sondheim's musicals were flops during their initial run - Follies was a flop, Pacific Overtures was a flop, Merrily was a flop, Sunday just broke even. His late-career veneration is the result of high school drama club nerds taking over the media as they hit their 30s and 40s.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2021 11:08 AM

It depends on how you define flop. Some people define a flop entirely on whether the show made a profit, or at least earned back its costs. Others insist that's too narrow a criteria and and take artistic quality into account.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2021 11:14 AM

Artistic quality is subjective

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2021 12:02 PM

He was adorable on Colbert last night. Very humble.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2021 12:12 PM

It’ll be such fun to play spot the tune.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2021 12:19 PM

As long as it's not another retitled version of that show about the weird gigolo brothers.

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2021 12:55 PM

Thomas Ades's THE EXTERMINATING ANGEL is already an opera house fave.

A Broadway musical is redundant.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2021 1:39 PM

Bernadette Peters Is like nails on a chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2021 1:47 PM

The last one, Bounce or whatever it ended up being called, was so cliched Sondheim on every level.

It's as if he has a chest of songs and tricks that he pulled out to score that show.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2021 1:58 PM

[quote]His late-career veneration is the result of high school drama club nerds taking over the media as they hit their 30s and 40s.

You totally made that up. Sondheim's work was adored by the same kinds of people who adore it now, right back to at least the early 1970s. There was a tribute show for him in 1973, for God's sake (the "Scrabble" album).

FORUM was an early genuine hit, but until Sweeney Todd his work never sold out for years like a Phantom or a Wicked. A show like FOLLIES couldn't make back its investment at less success than that. It's not like most of them didn't attract good audiences, they just didn't attract the kind of long-term sold-out status that allows an expensive musical to make a profit on its investment. Bialystock and Bloom would have found Pacific Overtures a more exciting prospect than Ulla.

Most of his shows were so innovative that a lot of critics didn't know what to make of them at first glance, add to which most theatre critics are not trained in music and were stumped by Sondheim's lack of earworms and multiple reprises. He said in the 70s that critics and peers will let you be successful and predictable OR innovative, but not both.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2021 2:59 PM

The argument over whether Sondheim should be called an "eldergay" reminds me of a DL-er explaining one time that Ellen Barkin in The New Normal, while very well preserved, was "not so much a cougar as a sabretooth".

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2021 3:09 PM

I wonder if this new Sondheim piece will include songs retooled from his Bunuel piece, which he has said he’s no longer doing.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2021 3:42 PM

Will the audience be expected to regard Lane’s character to be a heterosexual in love with Peters’s character?

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2021 3:50 PM

I agree with most of R23 that Sondheim is 1. a genius and 2. way ahead of his time.

It's just that I'm old enough to remember that he was treated with a bit of disdain by Broadway in general and the culture more broadly. If he was thought of at all, it was as a clever but tuneless guy who made arty shit that no one wanted to see.

He's a grand old man now and my point is that the reason the culture industry reveres him is because it is now staffed by people in their 30s and 40s who grew up idolizing him. Back when he was creating these shows, the cultural authorities weren't so impressed.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2021 3:52 PM

Sondheim is definitely celebrated now. He'll never be everyone's cup of tea especially to the tourists with their buckets of Bubba Gump shrimp and Junior's cheesecake bags that flock to matinees of Wicked, but he's not going anywhere. His work will continue to be performed and studied long after he's gone.

I'm thrilled that he's still trying out new things at his age and I hope this show is wonderful and a huge success. I'd love for him to close things out on a high note. At his age, you never know when it's the last chance.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2021 4:14 PM

Wrong R21. That would be you.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2021 10:25 PM

According to the NY Times this is NOT the Bunel musical, but some other project he's been working on with David Ives. I'm so intrigued. I hope it comes to fruition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2021 8:24 AM

It's so weird when even big-time outlets like the Times create a whole story based on what people said on a talk show.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2021 12:36 PM

He looked ghoulish on Colbert. I couldn't turn the channel, like a car accident. At some point you need to withdraw from public life or get a massive facelift, fillers, porcelain veneers, etc.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2021 2:03 PM

No reputable surgeon will perform elective surgery on a person in their 90s. Far, far too many risks at that age.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2021 2:10 PM

Is he the one with the notorious kinkroom dungeon?

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2021 2:11 PM

[quote]At some point you need to withdraw from public life or get a massive facelift, fillers, porcelain veneers, etc.

Your own withdrawal is eagerly anticipated.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2021 2:13 PM

Not everyone is terrified of aging.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2021 3:36 PM

R32, I hope you were joking because if you mean that, you're fucked in the head.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2021 3:38 PM

R32 is Marlene Dietrich.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2021 3:40 PM

I love him.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2021 4:53 PM

The one with the kink room was Jerry Herman, wasn’t it? Isn’t that how he got the AIDS, because he was such a whore?

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2021 10:38 PM

Jerry was heavy into fisting. Sondheim had the purported dungeon.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2021 11:20 PM

Life is a celebration with you on my arm!

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2021 11:48 PM

And when my little pinkie wiggles

Some young maiden gets the giggles

Then I make my knuckles active

My, he says, she's so attractive

Pressure with the thumbs, matrimony comes when

I put my hand in there!

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2021 11:51 PM

Jeff Romley will need more Estate of Sondheim money. Stephen is just making sure there are more productions in the pipeline to support his spouse for the next 50-60 years.

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2021 11:53 PM

It looks like Sondheim had possibly been taking retinols or had skin peels because some of those age spots or discolorations were not on his face (unless makeup took care of them). His voice sounds like a youthful person, but his eyes are so bloated, I wonder if he has a hard time seeing out of them.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2021 12:01 AM

Sondheim is 91, he looked fine.

The one that was agony to look at was Bette Davis.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2021 12:05 AM

Sondheimites were created when Company opened in '70. I know. I was there.

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2021 12:07 AM

r41, don't forget the twinks hanging in the closets.

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2021 12:19 AM

He was married to a much younger guy. Did they divorce?

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2021 1:07 AM

I didn't realize Sondheim married. I know he's been in a relationship with the much younger guy for many years.

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2021 6:38 AM

R41 & R43 I can't I unthink that! Now I can never listen to “I Put My Hand In” the same way again!

by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2021 4:17 AM

Do today's Broadway shows' castmembers still sing using vocal affectations and physical presence associated normally with Midwestern high school musical productions?

by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2021 6:13 AM

[quote] Is he the one with the notorious kinkroom dungeon?

No, that was Mary Rodgers.

by Anonymousreply 53September 19, 2021 6:47 AM

You'd have to tell us, r52. You're the one from the Midwest, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 54September 19, 2021 6:51 AM

What's Adam Guettel up to these days?

by Anonymousreply 55September 19, 2021 5:36 PM

[quote] Bernadette Peters Is like nails on a chalkboard.

The last thing I saw her in was Mozart in the Jungle, she was tolerable.

by Anonymousreply 56September 21, 2021 8:15 PM

Love him and Bernadette Peters is a fucking National Treasure.

by Anonymousreply 57September 21, 2021 8:26 PM

"Sondheim is 91, he looked fine"

William Shatner is that age too but he had the necessary cosmetic adjustments through the years to not scare the children. With all that money, there's no reason Sondheim needs to look like a dried apple.

by Anonymousreply 58September 21, 2021 8:36 PM

Sondheim is not an actor so he didn't have to constantly think about surgical touch ups for leading man looks. And I doubt he hangs out around children's playgrounds.

by Anonymousreply 59September 21, 2021 9:13 PM

If I live to 91 I hope I fucking terrify the children.

by Anonymousreply 60September 21, 2021 9:32 PM

[quote] necessary cosmetic adjustments

Seriously? NECESSARY? Cosmetic adjustments make actresses look frightening. I don't see why anyone who doesn't have to do it to get work would. Before social media, nobody did.

by Anonymousreply 61September 22, 2021 9:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!