Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Never Been Kissed’ Reunion on the Drew Barrymore Show

Drew Barrymore had a heartwarming Never Been Kissed cast reunion on The Drew Barrymore Show, airing Tuesday. Barrymore welcomed David Arquette, Molly Shannon and Michael Vartan to her show to reminisce about the beloved 1999 rom-com, and Vartan ended up spilling a hilarious memory from their famous kissing scene.

Never Been Kissed starred Barrymore as Josie, a newspaper reporter who enrolls in high school as part of research for a story. She ends up falling in love with her teacher, Mr. Coulson (Vartan). In the film's final scene, the two romantically kiss in the middle of a baseball field in front of the entire high school. Vartan and Barrymore were visibly emotional while giving one another a hug 22 years after the film's release.

"I've got to say I haven't seen that clip in years and standing there I got emotional," Vartan said. "This movie has been a huge part of my life. Every time I am stopped it's always, Never Been Kissed. That's a pretty amazing thing to be a part of and this reunion is just wonderful."

When 46-year-old Barrymore asked the 52-year-old Alias star if he had any specific memories of filming, he talked about their romantic kissing scene and admitted he got a physical reaction that had him panicking.

"Yeah, there’s a story about the famous scene that very few people know about and I’m not sure I should ...," he said, noting that not even Barrymore knew about his situation at the time. "So, I get up to the mound, we embrace and we start kissing, and you really kissed me. I mean, you really kissed me. I was not ready for it in the least and I'm a man, I was a very young man back then, and I had uh, feelings."

"The feelings were, they just happened, and I very quickly realized I was in a very bad spot because I was wearing very loose sort of like slacks and I thought, 'This is going to be a disaster when they cut, I must preemptively end this,'" he continued. "So what I did, in a panic, I just yelled cut, and bent over and said, 'Oh guys, sorry, my back, I put my back out playing ball.'… Anyway, I went off into my corner and ... finally I was able to compose myself, and luckily the subsequent scenes went on without a hitch. You are a very good kisser."

Barrymore thanked him for the compliment.

"Well thank you and, you know, you weren't married at the time, so yeah, I went for it because you were single and I felt like I wasn't going to offend anybody," she said.

ET recently spoke to Barrymore about season 2 of The Drew Barrymore Show and she said that in addition the Never Been Kissed cast reunion, she plans to return to her role of reporter Josie Grossie by sending her to movie junkets to interview people.

"Stepping back into Josie Grossie's shoes is so easy," she said. "I don't think I have ever not been in her shoes. I loved this character so much. She was so personal for me. This whole story for me was not to do another rom-com, it was to embody a human being that represents us all. How and when do we become OK with ourselves? That is what Never Been Kissed is all about."

ET was on the set of Never Been Kissed with a then 23-year-old Barrymore and Vartan, who was 29 years old at the time. Vartan told ET that Barrymore fought to cast him in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 19, 2021 10:43 PM

Awww, they all still look good.

Especially Drew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2021 12:06 AM

My sister loved that movie.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2021 12:10 AM

I'll still watch when it comes on a movie channel and nothing else appeals to me. It was really a well done film.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2021 1:09 AM

Loving Drew season2!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2021 6:05 AM

Apparently, Michael Vartan got a boner after kissing Drew Barrymore.

Rofl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2021 11:59 PM

I would love them to date because that movie is truly one you still feel their chemistry. The Beach Boys song instantly brings me back to this film. Love it and love her and he’s fine as FUCK.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2021 2:12 AM

Thats kinda creepy though, a teacher sorta hitting on a student? Even if technically she was not a kid.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2021 2:29 AM

My grandmother loved this movie!

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2021 2:31 AM

I *love* this movie.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2021 3:28 AM

I watched it recently and didn't like it as much as I used to, but this still gave me a fuzzy feeling to see them together like that. They really don't make movies like this any more. :( It probably means more to Vartan too because the others would all get recognised for other things, but this was perhaps his biggest and most recognisable role (especially in terms of re-runs and video rentals - back when that was a thing).

The Beach Boys song really makes that scene, one of the better uses of music in a film I can think of. It instantly floods the scene with warmth and romance.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2021 3:33 AM

he was hawt back in the day. drew is a kook, but I like her. Gurls, she had a fucked up childhood, an over-bearing, delusional mother and a drunk, absent father, who basically had to raise herself and take herself out of the trash bin to have a better life. I'm sure I'm one of many DLers that can relate.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2021 3:55 AM

^and she

sorry. I can suck the chrome off a cock but spellcheck isn't my jam.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2021 3:56 AM

I see James Franco was not invited.😁

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2021 4:14 AM

Watch daytime tv and take a shot every time Drew, Kelly Clarkson, and Rachel Ray say “Like.”

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2021 4:15 AM

I love Drew. This movie and Ever After I will watch any time I see them on TV.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2021 4:17 AM

The flashback prom scene is quite touching.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2021 4:25 AM

I knew it! That was such a hot kiss.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2021 4:39 AM

Michael Vartan seemed destined for stardom (but Bradley Cooper from Alias somehow eclipsed him---who'd have thought.)

Last thing I saw Vartan in was a pretty small non-descript role on Bates Motel.

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2021 4:46 AM

Drew's hometown tour of LA - begs for a part two

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2021 4:51 AM

Vartan did a series a couple of years ago called The Arrangement. He played a middle aged quasi-religious lifestyle guru that was a kinkball and a dirtbag to boot. It lasted two seasons. I was bummed when it was dumped. He's a good actor and is still easy to look at.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2021 4:56 AM

Vartan is French, non? Probably uncut.

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2021 4:58 AM

He was nude in at least one film I remember, One Hour Photo. Full frontal and I do believe he was cut.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2021 5:01 AM

The last thing I saw Michael Vartan in was that awful medical series Hawthrone where he was one of the love interest to Jada Pickett-Smith.

Vartan has aged well, a rarity among French men.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2021 5:03 AM

R19 clips like this are designed to make her seem more relatable and normal but to me it has the opposite effect. I wonder what game she is playing it like something out of Capra where she’s playing the naive common woman. Just to become the next Oprah or Ellen or something. I used to like drew but I find her insufferable these days

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2021 5:14 AM

Yeah R24 she's just a little too, too over the top. Too many drugs in her younger days?

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2021 5:23 AM

Oh, wow, Michael looks like a suburban dad.

I can't believe I saw that movie in the theater when I was a teenager! I remember liking it for the most part, but also cringing a lot.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2021 5:44 AM

Why wasn't I invited to this reunion? I am an Oscar winner.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2021 6:21 AM

He was 30, not 13. Control your chub, man.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2021 7:17 AM

Jesus they should pretend this shitty film never existed.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2021 7:19 AM

Michael Vartan was VERY cute back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2021 7:48 AM

He looks cut, R21.

With very low hanging balls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2021 7:50 AM

That's so funny, R15. I was just about to say I love, love Ever After. My sister owned it and I would sneak watch it in high school!

Never Been Kissed is good too, but Ever After is still a fav of mine.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2021 8:34 AM

I guess I should have taught at that school.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2021 5:31 PM

He is uncut, the foreskin just pulled back.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2021 5:50 PM

R5 why do they admit things like this. It’s a bit cringe. I can’t imagine a James Stewart or cary grant admitting to this type of thing. Talk about over share.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2021 7:59 PM

Seeing Michael Vartan was really important for me at this moment in time. I was starting to feel sorry for Jennifer Garner, now that her ex-husband is back with the woman he dated before her. But suddenly I remembered she cheated on her first husband, the delicious Scott Foley, with Vartan.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2021 8:06 PM

R35 Because it gets people talking about them once again.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2021 8:11 PM

R13 He don't need this shit

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2021 8:18 AM

People don't realize this is a movie about a teacher who falls in love with a STUDENT!!

At the end we find out that she is a legal adult! THAT DOESN'T CHANGE THAT HIS CHARACTER THINKS THAT SHE IS UNDERAGE!!!!! AND IN LOVE WITH HER!!!!

WTF!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2021 9:19 AM

The only thing I like about this movie is Drew's character correcting someone at the beginning when he incorrectly uses "nauseous" to describe how he feels. Josie tells him that the correct word to use in that sentence is "nauseated".

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2021 9:31 AM

JC, he did not age well at all.

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2021 9:57 AM

"EverAfter" is my favorite of her movies that I've seen. When it first came out, my boyfriend and I went to the movies to see...something else, and it wa sold out, so we bought tickets for "EverAfter". WE LOVED It. Leaving the theater, we saw it was raining, so we ducked back in the theater and watched it again.

My now boyfriend refuses to watch it.

I'm kind of waiting for the musical version... the clips online, with Margo Seiber t and Sierra Boggess look adorable.

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2021 1:26 PM

I'd gladly have Vartan's hard shaft against me as we kissed.

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2021 1:32 PM

He was a smoker back in his heyday (being French this wouldn’t surprise). He’s aged decently so hopefully he has quit.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2021 2:37 PM

What’s really nice is all four are aging gracefully and look like real people. I hope this is a trend.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2021 3:01 PM

[quote] What’s really nice is all four are aging gracefully and look like real people

I think that's why the movie worked so well, because all four of the leads seem like genuinely nice people.

In fact, they all seem to be playing a version of themselves in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2021 6:13 PM

Once they get "the whores" back in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant "where they belong", they're coming after us

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2021 6:20 PM

I wouldn't be interested in Drew if she were from some random family in Orange County or Florida. It's incredible that she is so down-to-earth and friendly in real life and grew up on movie sets and studio lots.

She can toss out lines like "I learned to drive at Sophia Loren's ranch in Calabasas" in the video R19 and not sound like a conceited name-dropping bitch.

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2021 6:37 PM

Why wasn’t Jeremy Jordan there?

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2021 6:47 PM

DREW SEASON TWO!

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2021 7:37 PM

R48 down to earth!? Wtf are you talking about. Her BFF is Cameron Diaz, she hawks garnier shampoo and air fryers on her Instagram… she has the appearance of being down to earth in the hopes of becoming Oprah or Reece ll but she’s as Hollywood as they get!

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2021 7:54 PM

Exactly, R51! Her ex-husband and the father of her children was the son of the CEO of Chanel...you know, that brand nobody who's down to earth can even afford to look at.

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2021 8:08 PM

Some of you seem to think down-to-earth means poor

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2021 8:13 PM

[13] why the fuck would James Franco be involved in this? He wasn’t in the movie you dumb fuck.

by Anonymousreply 54September 19, 2021 12:18 AM

[quote] why the fuck would James Franco be involved in this? He wasn’t in the movie you dumb fuck.

He was, R54.

He was a bit player, but still in the movie.

You should apologize to R13.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 19, 2021 12:21 AM

And just in case you needed video confirmation that James Franco was actually in the movie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 19, 2021 12:22 AM

R54 it was James Franco's first feature role. Try harder next time.

I guess Jessica Alba's too busy running her Honest company, Leelee Sobieski has her "art" and it's beneath Octavia Spencer since she's an Oscar winner.

by Anonymousreply 57September 19, 2021 12:26 AM

One of my favorite movies from that time period. I missed it in theaters, but caught it later on video and went out and bought a copy the next week. It's really funny and sweet and that last scene is perfect with "Don't Worry Baby" playing in the background.

Ever After is another excellent one I, somehow, missed in theaters and ended up seeing on video and immediately fell in love with it. Drew's done some pretty great movies and seems like a fun, sweet person.

by Anonymousreply 58September 19, 2021 12:32 AM

He was in a blink and kiss glorified extra role so it was not worthy of calling it a role at all. Cunt move to act like he was “purposely left out”.

by Anonymousreply 59September 19, 2021 12:32 AM

I agree it would have pointless to invite Franco, even if he weren’t currently ‘disgraced’.

Vartan was and is gorgeous. 20 years ago he rivaled Ed Burns for ‘most beautiful actor alive’ honors.

by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2021 12:45 AM

[quote]Awww, they all still look good.

I think Molly Shannon is the best of the bunch looks wise.

Did a search on David Arquette, I never knew he was a wrestler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 19, 2021 12:47 AM

Did Octavia Spencer have any lines in the movie other than "Damn, you a writer, gurrrlll!!"?

by Anonymousreply 62September 19, 2021 7:54 AM

It had a great cast.

by Anonymousreply 63September 19, 2021 8:00 AM

Drews accent was terrible in Ever After.

by Anonymousreply 64September 19, 2021 8:20 AM

Laughable R64

by Anonymousreply 65September 19, 2021 10:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!