Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jason Whitlock Believes ESPN ‘Underplayed’ Carl Nassib’s First NFL Game as An Openly Gay Player

Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib made history Monday night, becoming the first openly gay athlete to play in an NFL game. Aside from Charles Barkley showing up on national television wearing a Nassib jersey, the spectacle went largely unnoticed during ESPN’s broadcast of the game.

Even when Nassib gave the story a Hollywood finish, stripping the ball from Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson in overtime to salvage the win for Vegas, the narrative remained on the game. Considering their past coverage of Michael Sam and Caitlyn Jenner, conservative sports columnist Jason Whitlock was surprised by the lack of fanfare created by ESPN for Nassib.

“I do think ESPN underplayed Nassib’s big night. It’s a positive feel-good story,” Whitlock wrote for The Blaze. “Apparently he legitimately has no interest in allowing the media to exploit his sexual desires,” Whitlock added, assuming ESPN ignored the perspective at the request of Nassib and the Raiders. “This is progress. Nassib wants to be judged as a football player, not by what arouses him sexually.”

This after Whitlock previously wrote Nassib came out as gay in hopes of “cashing in.” Despite Nassib stating “I’m really not doing this for attention,” when he came out in June, Whitlock claimed the defensive end was just looking to attract corporate advertisers and boost his depth chart standing.

After witnessing ESPN’s “undersold” event Monday night, Whitlock acknowledged there was some meaning in the 28-year-old Nassib coming out while he’s still an NFL player.

“There is value in Nassib sharing his sexuality,” Whitlock wrote in his Tuesday op-ed. “His success on pop culture’s most masculine stage, the NFL, makes it less likely that young men who don’t fit traditional masculinity standards will be ostracized and bullied.”

Nassib has been publicly supported by his teammates and the NFL since coming out three months ago. And ESPN’s decision to treat Monday night as a regular game, rather than an event of historic significance, proves the sexuality of professional athletes in North American sports leagues should be a non-issue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2021 3:25 AM

The fist time I ever agreed with Jason Whitlock

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2021 11:32 PM

Same.

The tone was completely different that his reaction to his coming out.

I wonder if his hateful June column didn’t spur someone in his world to come out.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2021 11:37 PM

Fuck homophobe Jason Whitlock -here's his article from June.

The Raiders wouldn't have won that game it wasn't for Carl Nassib in OT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 11:40 PM

Carl Is very savvy

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2021 1:17 AM

Apparently, “The Blaze” has editors, at least grammar least, for his posts.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2021 1:25 AM

How many times do we have to say this?: No matter what they say or do, the NFL remains homophobic. Any pride or pro-LGBT message is just PR shit they spew out.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2021 3:21 AM

I don’t think it is today.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2021 3:24 AM

I don’t give a shit about football or Nassib.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2021 3:24 AM

Nassib could suck the paint off a corvette. His skills are legendary

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2021 3:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!