Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Out Magazine Says Ben Platt Will EGOT

The helipad may have been a novel changing milieu for the young star. But this vista of cityscape-meets-sea is not an unfamiliar one. Platt, 27, was born and raised in Los Angeles. Likewise, he is a native son of the entertainment world. His first major role, at age 9, was opposite Kristin Chenoweth at the Hollywood Bowl in The Music Man. It marked the beginning of a prolific stage career that includes lead roles in The Book of Mormon in Chicago and, most notably, the titular role in Dear Evan Hansen, which he originated in workshops in 2014 and brought to Broadway in 2016.

“I grew up in the theater,” Platt says. “That’s kind of my bread and butter, and that’s where I feel the most at home.”

The theatrical world is fond of Platt too. His stage performance as Evan garnered him a Tony Award at age 23; he made history as the youngest solo winner in the category of Best Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical. Evan also led him to other honors, including a Grammy for Best Musical Theater Album and a Daytime Emmy Award for his performance of “You Will Be Found” on Today. With Platt’s reprisal of the role in the new Universal Pictures film adaptation from director Stephen Chbosky (The Perks of Being a Wallflower), where he shares the screen with Amy Adams and Julianne Moore, Platt now has the chance to win an Oscar and the coveted EGOT status (as a winner of Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony trophies).

Ben’s father, Marc Platt, is not only supportive of his gay son, he is also one of Hollywood’s most prominent film producers, whose projects include Legally Blonde, La La Land, and, yes, Dear Evan Hansen. (Formerly hesitant to collaborate with his dad — knowing full well the possible public charges of nepotism — Ben embraced the partnership for DEH: “He’s a really specific producer in terms of having a gift for adapting things from the stage to the screen. And he’s just absolutely, in spades, the person to do the job.”)

But paradoxically, it is this privileged background that is at the root of Ben’s anxiety.

“I’ve had a lot of blessings in my life and, obviously, have worked quite hard on this one path from since I was quite young…[but] there’s been no sort of ‘capital A’ adversity,” Platt shares. As a consequence of his fortunate upbringing, Platt describes feeling what could fit the diagnosis of impostor syndrome. “Part of me is always wondering…something should go wrong,” he says. “Who am I to not have to face some sort of deeper tragedy?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2021 11:00 PM

While it's surprising that 'Out' deigned to feature a white "cis" male, it's not surprising that their fawning coverage omits the fact that the 'Dear Evan Hansen' film adaptation sucks goat balls. Also, Platt has the most punchable face in film or theater.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2021 7:12 PM

Even though they're shit now, the Oscar is still the most elusive of the four. He's still young, with plenty of time to work on earning the award. But that road might be a long one.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2021 10:06 PM

Look at that punim. He is ready to play Mame.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 10:08 PM

I think they meant Ego. In spades.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 10:08 PM

He and his Dad should collaborate on a TV show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 10:12 PM

He's the biggest star to hit Hollywood since Vera Hruba Ralston!

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 10:15 PM

No, he won’t.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 10:18 PM

Enough of the fucking crap about fucking EGOT.

Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 10:20 PM

I'm sure he will...as long as daddy's checks don't bounce.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2021 10:22 PM

If he EGOTs before Cyndi Lauper, I will go on a killing spree. She just needs the O. I am normally opposed to making movies based on musicals that were based on movies, but I will make an exception for Kinky Boots if it will get Cyndi her O. I want an original song written by Cyndi in every Oscar bait film from here on out.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2021 10:24 PM

Marc E. Platt must be a huge deal in Hollywood and Broadway. No doubt guys like Ryan Murphy and media outlets, like Out Magazine, kiss Ben's butt to have his father's favor.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2021 10:35 PM

[quote] As a consequence of his fortunate upbringing, Platt describes feeling what could fit the diagnosis of impostor syndrome.

Gee, I wonder why...

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2021 11:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!