Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chronic Fatigue

I know it's a loathed Golden Girls 2-parter, but I feel like I have it. Bloodwork from my doctor all came back normal for the usual culprits of fatigue, I get 8 hours of sleep, don't drink coffee or alcohol, I do have sleep apnea but am using a CPAP. I'm at a loss. Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 84July 17, 2022 8:03 PM

It’s all in your head.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2021 4:31 PM

maybe some coffee would put some pep in your step.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2021 4:32 PM

You're depressed hon, go see a shrink and get medicated.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 4:45 PM

Coffee is an expensive habit.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 4:47 PM

Yeah, you’re probably either depressed and/or unmotivated and bored with life.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 4:51 PM

[quote]Coffee is an expensive habit.

A canister of Folgers costs $6 and lasts a few months.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 4:52 PM

It doesn't compare to getting it at Dunkin.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 5:44 PM

Amanda explains it for you, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 7:45 PM

Make sure your AHI is good. I know they say 5.0 or lower is normal but I don't get good sleep unless I have a 1.5 or lower.

Check to see that your equipment fits properly. If you're getting leaks in your eyes you could be waking up a little bit here and there to adjust and not remembering it in the morning. Fragmented sleep isn't as restful.

Get an extra 30-60 minutes of sleep for a couple of weeks and see how that feels.

Use sleep sounds while sleeping (white noise, an app, whatever works) and do some in-bed relaxation stretches before sleeping. Make sure all the stuff you have in your room is conducive to sleeping: dark room, cool, comfortable bed, good pillow.

Don't take too many sleep meds before bed because they'll make you tired the next day.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2021 7:51 PM

My AHI is usually 1-2 but I don't seem to feel rested. So frustrating.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2021 11:19 PM

it's your sleep apnea, perhaps get your cpap machine serviced, make sure the air pressure is right, maybe it's time to have more sleep studies to see what's going on.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2021 11:22 PM

An onset of kidney failure, especially if you drink little water because you want to avoid waking up and having to pee.

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2021 11:28 PM

It seems like every woman had CFS in the '80s, but it has almost miraculously disappeared since.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2021 12:28 AM

Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked?

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2021 12:37 AM

[quote]A canister of Folgers costs $6 and lasts a few months.

And tastes like it.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2021 12:39 AM

You may be methamphetamine deficient, OP. Have your Tina levels checked. Ask your doctor to prescribe you the parTy.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2021 12:39 AM

[quote] a canister of Folgers costs $6

We’re talking about actual coffee, Rose, not Folgers.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2021 12:49 AM

The pain is real, OP. I've had issues with energy ever since I got mono about six years ago. I've made progress since then, but I don't have nearly as much energy as I had prior to that.

I agree with the poster who recommends getting your vitamin D levels checked. Get a full workup if you can. Make sure they check your thyroid.

And r16 isn't completely off the mark, lol. A younger woman I know who got mono a year after I did was still struggling mightily over a year later and wound up getting a prescription for Adderall.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2021 12:51 AM

Mental illness sometimes runs in pairs, OP. Are you feeling a little trans also?

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2021 12:51 AM

And are you tender to the touch, dear?

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2021 1:15 AM

It really hasn't disappeared, r13. In the 1980s what was described as CFS turned out to be related to a previously-known condition called myalgic encephalomyelitis. By the 1990s, the media wasn't interested in ME/CFS anymore and studies weren't being funded because it wasn't considered a pressing concern anymore. On top of that, the few studies there have been in the last 15 years have been flawed. It may seem like it doesn't exist anymore, but it absolutely does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2021 9:04 AM

You're probably fat. Cut your calories and start exercising.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2021 9:39 AM

Sounds like it could be Morgellons. Or rabies.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2021 10:07 AM

Try a Delta 8/ Delta 10 THC vape. It’s a completely legal strain of THC and you can get it cheapest ordering online. Google “Sledgehammer.” There is a euphoric (high) effect, but it’s a mood lifter, and a possibility expander as well. If you’re not used to drinking/drugging, definitely do it in limited amounts at home the first time, and see how it affects you.

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2021 10:16 AM

Its a real condition and its likely caused by activated virus or viruses, but which ones? That's the mystery. There is research that the COVID vaccine and Covid infection as well can reactivate all kinds of virus that are dormant.

The cure for long covid is startlingly like the cure for Chronic Fatigue. There are some some clinics in Europe treating long covid. It's mind over body, very meticulous and sustained retraining the body to be up to the tasks of normal and satisfying functioning.

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2021 11:55 AM

My vitamin D level was okay and I drink plenty of water so I don't think it's onset kidney failure.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2021 12:34 PM

What does vitamin D level have to do with kidney failure? Get some blood tests and check out BUN and creatinine levels. If the kidneys are gone, they will never recover. And it might be the weak heart that can't pump enough red blood for the kidneys.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2021 1:09 PM

It doesn't. I was replying to the person who asked about my VitaminD level and the person who said drink more water.

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2021 1:31 PM

are you sure you didn't have Covid?

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2021 1:39 PM

Don't worry it only lasts for two episodes of your life.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2021 1:46 PM

Try exercising. You're not tired because you don't get enough exercise. I mean at LEAST 60 minutes of high intensity aerobic exercise (you may have to build up to this level over a long time), with 60 minutes when your heart rate is at 85% of your theoretical maximum.

To calculate your maximum: 220 - age X 85%

So if you were 50 it would be 220 - 50 = 170

Then: 170 X .85 =145

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2021 1:49 PM

R30 It has been known to cause you to wear the most horrendous wedding dress in TV history

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2021 1:50 PM

Blood tests will tell a lot about your health, fat OP.

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2021 1:52 PM

“It seems like every woman had CFS in the '80s, but it has almost miraculously disappeared since.”

Because mostly male doctors got better about correctly diagnosing autoimmune diseases.

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2021 2:00 PM

As I mentioned R33, bloodwork all came back normal. And I'm 165 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2021 2:01 PM

Did they check your Vitamin B level as well? The B's sustain cell metabolism so low levels = no energy. It's usually not a routine lab.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2021 2:07 PM

R7- FAT WHORE.

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2021 2:19 PM

OP, when was the last time you travelled someplace new?

by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2021 2:23 PM

Get your liver enzymes checked OP. A friends bloodwork was fine, but he was exhausted. Demanded more tests. Boom.He has a year. Liver Cancer. Not a drinker.

Also: There are three types of fatigue: transient, cumulative, and circadian:

Transient fatigue is acute fatigue brought on by extreme sleep restriction or extended hours awake within 1 or 2 days.

Cumulative fatigue is fatigue brought on by repeated mild sleep restriction or extended hours awake across a series of days.

Circadian fatigue refers to the reduced performance during nighttime hours, particularly during an individual’s “window of circadian low” (WOCL) (typically between 2:00 a.m. and 05:59 a.m.). Researches show that the accumulation of "sleep debt", e.g. by having an hour less of sleep for several consecutive days needs a series of days with more-than-usual sleep for a person to fully recover from cumulative fatigue.

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2021 2:26 PM

Maybe dye your hair.

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2021 2:29 PM

It's probably an STD.

by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2021 3:01 PM

Listen to some music...

This for example...

"Hey lady, you lady,"

"Cursing at your life"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2021 3:05 PM

R36 my B12 came back normal. Didn't have my liver checked.

by Anonymousreply 43September 15, 2021 3:05 PM

OP is depressed because she has a biracial grandson named Lamarr. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2021 3:11 PM

Shut up Stanley- worth both episodes.

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2021 3:17 PM

Wait -- is this the same nelly OP who keeps posting depressing threads and then cherry-picks the replies she'll respond to?

Fuck you, OP

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2021 3:53 PM

R18, I posted an old thread months ago about being prescribed adderall. I didn't like it. I have Ritalin now, but I think I need a higher dose. If you want stimulants, you'll have to find a psych prescriber probably, and have a good reason. Being tired won't cut it unless you have a diagnosis to go along with that. You can claim ADHD of course.

OP I'm going to throw a bunch of shit at you. If you have chronic fatigue, make sure your sleep is as good as possible. Quiet, cool, dark, uninterrupted. Animals in the bed at night? Kick them out. Use a HEPA filter in your bedroom. Costco sells an excellent one for about $100. Your CPAP compliance is good? Is your AHI under 2 events per hour?

Is there mold where you're living? In the walls or a/c system? You can usually smell it. Fix it and/or HEPA or move.

Get chemicals out of your home and life. You don't have to go crazy here, but try to use a simple soap or body wash without colors or unnecessary ingredients. Clean with simple ingredients like water with borax, soap, mild detergents. Eliminate scented products and aerosols.

How's your digestion? It's now known that about 1 in 130 people in the world have celiac disease, 90% of whom aren't diagnosed. It is an autoimmune illness and it will make you tired.

Have you had xrays or CTs for anything ever? Get the reports and read them over. If there's anything unusual in them, bring it up with your doctor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2021 5:02 PM

I've been prescribed a stimulant, which made me feel worse. CPAP compliance is good. No pets. Don't seem to smell mold. CT and MRI came back normal.

by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2021 6:00 PM

Why are you using the CPAP machine?

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2021 6:29 PM

I have Psoriatic Arthritis AND chronic anemia. I’m so fuckin tired all of the time I sometimes think about suicide. Fatigue is not just physical its mental too.

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2021 6:47 PM

Try taking something that contains sugar such as a Coke or Spongesicle. I've done that on occasion when I was feeling sluggish.

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2021 6:55 PM

r43, my B-12 levels are normal but I took a B-complex packet (from Whole Foods - on sale!) this morning and had a long list of things to do done in 3 hours. It really gave me an energy boost.

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2021 7:01 PM

You in danger gurl!

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2021 7:12 PM

Why I’m tired: psoriatic arthritis. Fatigue and pain are 2 of the biggest symptoms

Low iron anemia: my body doesn’t absorb iron either. I have to receive IV iron infusions every 2 months.

Severe depression. It’ll cause you to feel tired too.

by Anonymousreply 54September 15, 2021 7:23 PM

[quote] Why are you using the CPAP machine?

I have mild sleep apnea - 9 episodes an hour.

by Anonymousreply 55September 15, 2021 7:31 PM

“I have Psoriatic Arthritis AND chronic anemia. I’m so fuckin tired all of the time I sometimes think about suicide. Fatigue is not just physical its mental too.”

I get it, I have PsA too and feel the same way,

by Anonymousreply 56September 15, 2021 7:32 PM

Cpap, chronic fatigue syndrome and mysterious women’s diseases. Are you all refugees from the Michfest forum?

by Anonymousreply 57September 15, 2021 8:36 PM

An extra B12 or B complex is an easy fix since it's excreted via the kidneys

by Anonymousreply 58September 15, 2021 8:40 PM

Oh, I forgot that most with kidney failure are losing weight. OP is just chronically exhausted under his morbid obesity.

by Anonymousreply 59September 15, 2021 8:49 PM

Sleep apnea is the number one culprit if you’re having energy issues. It may be more than that, but with a CPAP you should be getting stronger and more alert.

I’m a guy, I have CFS, and it’s a nightmare. You need to go through extensive testing, and really it’s only when they can’t find ANYTHING to explain your fatigue will they give a CFS diagnosis. Which basically means they don’t know why, it sucks to be you and good luck.

The few things I’ve found to make a difference are melatonin, calcium butyrate, and probiotic pearls at night, Liquid B12 and vitamin D in the morning. It takes awhile to find your footing, but it’s given me a reliable level of energy daily.

I always thought CFS was a joke diagnosis, but I’d give anything to get better. The brain fog is the worst. I’ve always been a voracious reader but some days I can’t read a single sentence. Yeah, I know, sucks to be me.

by Anonymousreply 60September 15, 2021 8:58 PM

Weight and age and how much exercise do you get every day? If you don't want to talk about those issues, I understand COMPLETELY.

by Anonymousreply 61September 15, 2021 9:01 PM

41, 165 and I go to the gym every day. A mixture of cross trainer and weights.

by Anonymousreply 62September 15, 2021 9:22 PM

R15 If you’re broke, then you get what you get.

by Anonymousreply 63September 15, 2021 9:24 PM

It's probably mental fatigue. I wake-up, then start worrying about money, stability, aging, etc.... and I want to go back to sleep.

But I can't. Gotta get up and go make a nickel again.

by Anonymousreply 64September 15, 2021 9:32 PM

One supplement I recommend checking out is d'ribose. It supports energy production and can be very effective. I use it sporadically. Would use it daily, but it tends to exacerbate my anxiety (one of its potential pitfalls).

by Anonymousreply 65September 15, 2021 9:38 PM

OK, R62, I experienced something similar when I hit about 41-42. I used to alternate exercise: weight lifting about 40 minutes and then I'd run for 40 minutes the same evenings (about 5 miles), and then on the next day, I would swim 1.5 miles freestyle, fast. Did this alternating routine normally 6 days a week, but I became aware at around age 41 that I just had no stamina for any of this. I could not catch my "second wind" for running, was just panting, out of breath, and the swimming became just tedious torture, no enjoyment out of it at all, no energy, no will to even do it, whereas I had formerly greatly enjoyed it. Simultaneously, I started having weird, intense, blood sugar drops, like I would get the shakes from hunger fast. I would also just fall asleep in my chair at work after lunch, from the influx of carbs into my blood, I guess. I was afraid I was becoming diabetic, and so I went to the doctor, who did some tests and referred me to an endocrinologist. Nothing was ever resolved "scientifically." I did change my diet pretty strictly: no sugar, no carbs, no desserts, no cakes, pastries, etc. No potatoes but sweet potatoes, no rice but brown rice, no pasta, no bread, etc. No sugar in coffee, I also stopped drinking coffee, because it was acting like speed on my system in the mornings. My metabolism somehow just "re-set" itself after a few months, and I was OK, and gradually my stamina returned. I came to see it as the physical aspect of a "mid-life crisis". That change in men is for real, and you are the perfect age for it. It does have physiological aspects, and I am pretty sure it is related to some kind of hormonal changes that the body goes through which also produce the mental "blah" feeling associated with the "mid-life crisis". If I were you, I'd try getting on a pretty severe diet that cuts out carbs and alcohol and sugar, and see if it helps. It did me. As for the psychological issues associated with that period of life, all you can do is bear with it, go easy on yourself, and understand that whatever failings you see in yourself at the time are largely hormonally induced, they aren't your fault, they WILL pass, and it's something that every man I have known has gone through, sometime between the early 40's and the early 50's, setting in at varying ages, and lasting maybe a couple of years. It sounds like you're experiencing something very like what I went through, and the above is how I dealt with it. Good luck to you. - R61.

by Anonymousreply 66September 15, 2021 9:55 PM

^It also helps a LOT to talk to other guys who are about your own age about this, to show yourself that it is very widespread among men in their 40s...-R66

by Anonymousreply 67September 15, 2021 9:59 PM

Probiotics

by Anonymousreply 68September 15, 2021 10:28 PM

In the ninties cher had chronic fatigue syndrome, maybe thats it. Try taking multivitamins, they help me.

by Anonymousreply 69September 15, 2021 10:39 PM

Hot beef injections.

Twice a day.

And drink coffee, for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 70September 15, 2021 10:41 PM

Have you tried upping your candy intake? Candy gives you pep and it tastes good! Before you try all these crazy thcbdcs and diets, I recommend you eat some delicious candy.

by Anonymousreply 71September 15, 2021 11:38 PM

Thanks R66. I do very low carbs. In fact I was wondering if that's what was making me tired. No sugar, no potatoes, rice or any of that. Maybe it is my body changing. Maybe I should find a support group. I mean if they have them for people who get kicked out of unauthorized Elvis Fan Clubs, there must be one for me.

by Anonymousreply 72September 15, 2021 11:45 PM

The problem I had felt very dismal, depressing, left me wanting to just do nothing. Go with your sense of what to do about your own diet. For me, it did pass, but it took a lot longer than I wanted it to. You just have to put up with it. I imagine support groups for this "crisis" exist, I wish I'd known about one when it hit me. -R66.

by Anonymousreply 73September 15, 2021 11:52 PM

R1, you DISMISSED me!

by Anonymousreply 74September 15, 2021 11:56 PM

Any new tips here? I suspect I have CFS and it’s almost impossible to get through daily living. No matter how much I sleep, I never feel rested. I’m exhausted all day every day and don’t want to go on like this.

by Anonymousreply 75July 15, 2022 12:11 PM

I am a sensitive emotional person and several years ago I was suffering from sleep apnea and went through the whole deal with the CPAP machine. It lasted almost a whole year and I was constantly fatigued the entire time. Couldn't get a good night's sleep. The situation was making me feel depressed and it all just became a vicious cycle. I got rid of my CPAP, made a commitment to lose weight and get in shape and practice better habits. I'm still a nervous person but I don't have sleep apnea anymore and I don't feel fatigued.

by Anonymousreply 76July 15, 2022 12:29 PM

I despise hot weather, adding living in a sweltering over populated city environment to the mix and a lot of people do get extremely depressed in the Summer.

Even as a kid I hated hot weather. No, I'm not obese. It appears, climate change has now given us just two seasons Winter and Summer. We really don't seem to have a true Fall and Spring anymore.

Thankfully, for the past 8 years I've been working from home, otherwise, dealing with the subways, idiots who refuse to wear masks, all the violent crazies and other bullshit, I would have taken early retirement.

I cannot wait for the cool weather, I'll be happy again.

by Anonymousreply 77July 15, 2022 12:33 PM

Long covid?

by Anonymousreply 78July 15, 2022 11:00 PM

Better to have chronic fatigue than to have chronic diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 79July 17, 2022 2:47 PM

You’re going through menopause, OP.

by Anonymousreply 80July 17, 2022 2:52 PM

OP, are over 40 and male? You could be low in testosterone.

by Anonymousreply 81July 17, 2022 3:14 PM

It could be fibromyalgia OP. Are you feeling tender to the touch? What helps me (I read about it on Facebook and Rachel Ray also had a segment on it) is cradling a warm cup of camomile or mint tea. Something about holding a warm cup of tea, with a blanket on your lap ( and usually a cat lol!) just seems to help. Just remember to take it easy and be gentle to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 82July 17, 2022 3:25 PM

Get on disability then you can nap all day.

by Anonymousreply 83July 17, 2022 3:43 PM

Julia Sugarbaker did a much more scathing rant to anyone in a position of power that Dorothy Sponzak did at the end of that episode. I guess with the chronic fatigue Dorothy just didn't have it in her.

by Anonymousreply 84July 17, 2022 8:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!