Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Y: The Last Man, meet your new President, Diane Lane

New post apocalyptic FX/Hulu series based on a long running comic where all the world’s men have died off- except for one who is the new President’s wayward son, a very bad magician and escape artist- with a monkey! First three episodes have dropped and it’s a gripping rollercoaster ride with lots of twists. Diane’s doing some of the best work she’s ever done and faces foes like the John McCainesque conservative daughter of the president she replaced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153May 27, 2023 8:53 PM

I loved the comics series, and have been waiting years for an adaptation. I’m not disappointed. The first three episodes are great.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2021 2:38 AM

I read the description on Hulu because I like dystopian and post-apocalyptic stories. I was amused that they specified the survivor was a "cisgender" man. I guess talking about chromosomes is a dangerous business these days.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2021 2:45 AM

Yes, quite transphobic to even attempt to tie chromosomes and gender!

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 2:48 AM

Do Trans women survive?

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 2:49 AM

This premiere today must have overloaded Hulu’s already glitchy platform. It took me three tries today to watch it without the whole thing crashing.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 3:15 AM

Initially there wasn’t Trans representation in the graphic novels, but it is included here in the series. The actor who played Ian’s boyfriend in Shameless is part of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 4:27 AM

So, bio-men could have survived if they'd chopped off their dicks?

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 4:48 AM

R7 Don’t quite understand genetics do you, the Y chromosome doesn’t reside in the penis.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 4:59 AM

R8 You don't quite understand reality. Chopping off the cock does not make one a women, and the Y chromosome would mean tranny ladies die.

R6 So, they have shat on the source graphic novel to make it fantasy bollocks to appease the mentals?

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2021 6:30 AM

[quote] [R7] Don’t quite understand genetics do you, the Y chromosome doesn’t reside in the penis.

Exactly, you don’t need to chop off anything to identify as trans. Self ID is a thing, you know. Transwomen are women. The disease kills off all the men in the world so of course it does not kill the transwomen since they’re women.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2021 6:45 AM

R10 Your sarcasm is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2021 6:47 AM

This looks so dumb. Is it any good?

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2021 12:57 PM

For those too stupid to follow, the Trans Men are still around because although they are now men they were born biologically female and thus have XX chromosomes. the problem is though having access to Testosterone to be able to maintain their hormonal needs to continue being male.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2021 2:27 PM

Watched ep. 1-3. It's rather good. the trans bit gets a few minutes (same trans from 'Shameless', U.S.). What's good is the ensuing battle between dumbass post-Trumpian women and moderate Dems. Looks like women 'run the world,' but MAGAt hags will fuck it up again with idealogical power grabs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2021 5:45 PM

Damn those fucking bland Canadian day player actors. The nerd at the support group said something like “I couldn’t think ABOOT anything but dick.”

This isn’t too bad. I love Diane Lane. The guy playing her son is cute but has a weird thing with his “s”.’s. What’s with the herpes on the daughter’s lip?

I might stick with this.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2021 1:58 AM

I love Diane Lane!

Yorick is cute and looked good naked. He’s not as hot as his daddy Cass Winthrop was back in the 80s!

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2021 2:01 AM

That fuckn' monkey!

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2021 3:46 AM

I didn't even recognize Paul Gross as the President.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2021 7:21 AM

I rather enjoyed the first 3 episodes. This got potential.

I like that the only surviving man is a whiny little prick.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2021 10:26 AM

I thought the lead actor's last name sounded familiar and then after Googling I realized his father is Stephen Schnetzer who played Cass on Another World and a couple of other shows, and Ben Olsen on Days of Our Lives and his mother is Nancy Snyder who was Katrina on One Life to Live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2021 12:57 PM

The daughter is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2021 3:51 AM

The daughter was kind of a cunt in the comics, too. I read an interview with the show runner where she talked about the changes to the series vs. the comics. It has been a long time since I read the original, but I haven’t seen any glaring changes yet. The trans character and the conservative bitches are new, but they fit fine. I might have to check it out from the library to refresh my memory.

Diane Lane and the actress playing Agent 355 are perfectly cast.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2021 4:11 AM

The son is cute and was cute in the film "Pride". Brian from "Tales of the City" looked good as a silver daddy! I LOVE Diane Lane. The comic made Yorick more of a hero than the doofus he is here but I'm liking what they've done to his character. I hope Agent 355 smacks his ass down.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2021 4:13 AM

Is Amber Tamblyn really that chunky or is it padding? It feels likes she's playing a Meghan McCain type.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2021 4:16 AM

R24 Probably that chunky. She doesn't give a shit about standards of beauty, etc. She's a Dunham type minus the sanctimony

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2021 9:45 AM

Ben Schnetzer is cute and talented. Glad to see him getting a big TV gig.

He was the lead in "The Nap" on Broadway - he did a great job and got very impressively shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2021 9:53 AM

Ben's daddy getting preyed upon by Linda Dano:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2021 9:56 AM

[quote]First three episodes have dropped and it’s a gripping rollercoaster ride with lots of twists

You’re a moron.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2021 12:26 PM

More so then him, but the father looks Middle Eastern, is that their heritage?

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2021 2:00 PM

Something that doesn't make sense is that everyone seems to be starving. 4 billion people died so shouldn't there be plenty of food on the shelves?

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2021 3:52 AM

I see references to a cunty daughter. Is this the type of show that will interrupt perfectly good plot lines to focus on teenage angst? If so hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2021 5:08 AM

It's a cunty daughter who's an alcoholic fuck up and is deliberately hiding from her mother after the apocalypse because she just can't deal.🙄

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2021 5:21 AM

I just CAN'T EVEN with this apocalypse

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2021 5:27 AM

She’s so cunty, that even the needy Trans characters kind of have had enough of her.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2021 6:15 AM

Olivia Thirlby is a good example of undercasting. They could have gotten someone much more compelling for that role.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2021 12:43 PM

[quote]Something that doesn't make sense is that everyone seems to be starving. 4 billion people died so shouldn't there be plenty of food on the shelves?

That was my thought, also. But I think, much like when the pandemic happened the shelves have gone bare because, in this circumstance, people are looting.

First great three episodes. I forgot that weirdo Barry Keoghan was originally cast as Yorick and dropped out. Glad he left or the producers got rid of him because Schnetzer is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2021 7:21 AM

I was originally cast as the Last Male President, but they reshot my scenes for reasons unknown.

I still have an Oscar. And Diane Lane? I fucked her twice on Oscar weekend!

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2021 7:33 AM

I don’t think a single frame of the pilot, which was shot in NY, survived.

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2021 2:12 PM

[quote]4 billion people died so shouldn't there be plenty of food on the shelves?

Food can't produce and deliver itself, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2021 2:21 PM

R38 So there was an original pilot that was completely scrapped? I heard this had quite the journey getting to screen, but not that.

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2021 7:04 PM

Y: The Last Man showrunner Eliza Clark addressed some of the obstacles she had to clear during filming. She also dismissed any concerns about the impact the series’ reshoots had on the finished product.

“I can’t speak to exactly what happened before I came on board,” said Clark. “But I’ll say this: I was not brought on to patch holes in a dam. I was brought on for an entirely new take. I got to re-shoot the pilot entirely and rewrite it entirely. From there, besides COVID, we have not had a crazy … It hasn’t been a troubled show. COVID shut everyone down, but we’ve been cooking with gas since the beginning.”

“There were a lot of amazing cast members that I got to inherit, including the people who ended up leaving,” added Clark. “But, schedules and whatever, it’s a long time to give to a project if there are things that happened before, you know what I mean? I think people have been attached for a long time and I got to end up with the cast I wanted and needed. I think you will be very excited if you love the books to see this incredible cast. Have you seen Ashley Romans do her thing [as 355]? I mean, she’s incredible.”

Clark’s forebears on the series initially cast Captain Marvel’s Lashana Lynch to play Agent 355, who also happens to be one of the comic’s most pivotal supporting characters. It wasn’t until Clark took over as showrunner that Romans inherited the role. And this wasn’t the only casting shakeup that happened under Clark’s watch. Barry Keoghan was originally set to headline the series as the titular “last man,” Yorick Brown. However, he left the show at the beginning of last year after filming on the original pilot had already begun. Clarke subsequently cast Ben Schnetzer to replace him before shooting recommenced last fall. Around that time, Olivia Thirlby also replaced Imogen Poots as Yorick’s sister, Hero.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2021 7:15 PM

R40, the pilot was shot in September and October 2018 in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2021 7:27 PM

This series would better serve to be a binge watch. This week's episode just treads water.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2021 6:08 PM

I dunno, the market shoot-out, and the farm gals and Missy Pyle's entrance were quite dramatic.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2021 8:03 PM

This is definitely great at continuing to ratchet up the tension and the twists, that last scene was as like the end of Raiders of the Ark.

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2021 9:59 PM

Missi Pyle is always great. Shame she has never become a big star, but maybe she doesn’t want that?

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2021 10:44 PM

Is Missi the dykey leader of girl police who came in channeling Cherry Jones?

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2021 10:52 PM

R46 she's a great character actress. She works regularly, does good work, gets liked and probably still has a life.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2021 11:09 PM

She was good in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2021 11:59 PM

Are they trying to make us hate Yorick and Hero? Because I do. Diane Lane raised two whiny assholes.

by Anonymousreply 50September 21, 2021 12:02 AM

R50 pretty much. "I'd rather spend time cold and hungry in an apocalypse than see my mom! Sorry friend!"

by Anonymousreply 51September 21, 2021 12:06 AM

Whenever I think of Diane Lane I picture Josh Brilon dragging her across the kitchen by her hair and kicking her in the stomach. Funny how he’s starring in blockbusters and she’s on some TV show.

by Anonymousreply 52September 21, 2021 12:09 AM

My mom says I'm selfish and never think about other people! What a bitch! I'm going to disable the only working vehicle we've found so nobody can leave!

by Anonymousreply 53September 21, 2021 12:11 AM

I saw ads for this all summer on Hulu, but didn't know until a week ago that Diane Lane was in it.

by Anonymousreply 54September 21, 2021 12:17 AM

Hero was ironically named.

by Anonymousreply 55September 21, 2021 12:20 AM

What is the plot beyond the premise?

by Anonymousreply 56September 21, 2021 12:25 AM

So how did three of the stories converge so quickly and where exactly are they? Agent and Yorick are supposedly an hour from Boston, Hero and friend left NYC for DC and are near 95, and mother and daughter fled DC and walked north for a week. Was that supposed to be the Eagles stadium in Philly maybe? Giants stadium in Secaucus? Obviously it was filmed in Canada and looked more like a soccer stadium? I was not expecting them to all be in the same orbit. And Agent caused the other helicopter to explode right?

by Anonymousreply 57September 21, 2021 12:27 AM

[quote]And Agent caused the other helicopter to explode right?

Yes; and she continues to be the smartest person in the show. She knew those women would talk. so she had to handle them. If Yorick keeps whining about Beth I want him to end up with the same fate.

by Anonymousreply 58September 21, 2021 12:30 AM

He won't die. He's the title character and the only potential "savior" since the MAGAt gals' precious sperm banks seem to be off the table.

by Anonymousreply 59September 21, 2021 12:34 AM

The Meghan McCain character is spot on. She must be DoorDashing a lot of burgers in rage.

by Anonymousreply 60September 21, 2021 12:36 AM

R56, the premise does sound good, but I suspect that this is just The Walking Dead all over again: lots of story lines, but none of them go anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 61September 21, 2021 1:10 AM

The actress playing Agent 355 is definitely the reason to watch this show. She’s very compelling.

by Anonymousreply 62September 21, 2021 2:50 AM

[quote] Don’t quite understand genetics do you, the Y chromosome doesn’t reside in the penis.

YOU don't understand genetics. The Y chromosome is throughout the male body. Your chromosomes are In every cell that has nuclei.

by Anonymousreply 63September 21, 2021 4:26 AM

[quote]4 billion people died so shouldn't there be plenty of food on the shelves?

I do need my bags of frozen peas.

by Anonymousreply 64September 21, 2021 4:40 AM

R63 You need to go back and see the context of that statement.

by Anonymousreply 65September 21, 2021 4:45 AM

I can’t believe no one’s watching this, it’s really great as sci-fi apocalyptic shows go and the actress playing agent 355 is killing it and the last man actor’s holding his own against her quite nicely with a comic relief role. Diane gets better and better and now she has a real bitch of an adversary to play off of in the future.

by Anonymousreply 66September 28, 2021 11:32 AM

R29, according to Wikipedia, Stephen Schnetzer's mother (Ben's grandmother) was Algerian. It's Wikipedia, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 67September 28, 2021 11:57 AM

Anyone watching, wasn’t there a time jump of like six months, that’s confusing for the aide to the president’s pregnancy unless she somehow slept with Yorick?

by Anonymousreply 68September 28, 2021 2:49 PM

[quote]Anyone watching, wasn’t there a time jump of like six months, that’s confusing for the aide to the president’s pregnancy unless she somehow slept with Yorick?

It was two months.

Yorick is in capable hands with Agent 355. I'm more worried about the President being surrounded by that crafty Kimberly (Amber Tamblyn) and the sure-to-be power grab by their version of Marjorie Taylor Greene.

by Anonymousreply 69September 28, 2021 4:24 PM

Typically bland, one dimensional Canadian actress is playing Regina, the Secretary of State. They could have cast a much more interesting American actress in the role.

I do like the actress playing Allison Mann, though. Can’t tell from her imdb if she’s Canadian or not. She’s listed as being in only two episodes so I guess she doesn’t make it to Frisco.

by Anonymousreply 70September 28, 2021 5:50 PM

Imagine if they would have cast Cherry Jones as the Secretary of State, and then also made a later twist of her being a Lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 71September 28, 2021 9:52 PM

Hey, where ARE the lesbians in this show? Is Allison Mann the only one so far?

by Anonymousreply 72September 29, 2021 1:34 AM

Hero kissed her trans male friend. Does that count as lesbian adjacent?

by Anonymousreply 73September 29, 2021 1:45 AM

No, R73. He looks like a dude.

by Anonymousreply 74September 29, 2021 3:43 AM

Actual lesbian in episode 5!

by Anonymousreply 75September 29, 2021 3:47 AM

Of all male musicians lost to mourn, Weird Al should not be at the top of the list.

by Anonymousreply 76October 4, 2021 8:19 AM

If I'm not mistaken in the comics Hero was a member of the men-hating cult of Amazon where members expected to cut one of their breast. Perhaps its too graphic for the tv I guess.

by Anonymousreply 77October 4, 2021 9:28 AM

Well the women in this episode have more than enough breasts to go around.

by Anonymousreply 78October 4, 2021 2:20 PM

The amount of udders in the last episode was downright offensive.

by Anonymousreply 79October 6, 2021 6:27 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 6, 2021 6:29 AM

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 10/05 **12**

This actress (Diane Lane) is probably B+/B now. It was not all that long ago that she was headed for A+ list. When she first started out, she caught the eye of this permanent A+ list movie director (Francis Ford Coppola) not named Spielberg. When I say she caught his eye, it means she did what he wanted and he cast her in some of his movies which were all monster hits and some are very important.

She was cast in three straight movies ("The Outsiders"/"Rumble Fish"/"The Cotton Club") by the director and was going to get her own headlining movie. Then, she did some work ("Streets of Fire") for a different A list director (Walter Hill) and he never cast her in another project. He dumped her.

Diane Lane/Francis Ford Coppola/"The Outsiders"; "Rumble Fish"; "The Cotton Club"/"Streets of Fire"/Walter Hill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 6, 2021 7:54 AM

This show isn’t working. I’ll only watch the Diane Lane/Ambler Tamblyn stuff and the Agent 355/Yorick stuff. The rest is absolutely awful.

by Anonymousreply 82October 6, 2021 2:37 PM

Thank god the FFL committed suicide. That’s one fucking bland Canadian actress down.

by Anonymousreply 83October 12, 2021 1:00 AM

I’m really loving this show, but I think I’m one of the few. I’m emotionally invested, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to get another season at this point. I love how every chance to get Yorick naked, they do!

by Anonymousreply 84October 12, 2021 1:14 AM

Fucking Beth! Yorick pining for a duplicitous taint.

[quote]I love how every chance to get Yorick naked, they do!

Me too. I'm so glad they recast the part because if they'd have Barry Keoghan without clothes I'd go blind.

by Anonymousreply 85October 12, 2021 3:54 AM

Schnetzer got very nice body.

R84, you are not alone. I am enjoying this. I think it will be renewed as Disney+ is advertising this as one of its originals outside of USA.

by Anonymousreply 86October 12, 2021 6:24 AM

The only man in a world of women?

I wouldn’t want to live!

by Anonymousreply 87October 12, 2021 6:28 AM

[quote] all the world’s men have died off- except for one who is the new President’s wayward son

Didn't we already sort of cover this ground?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 12, 2021 6:27 PM

I really loved the book and I’m enjoying this series, but it does feel like it’s getting NO buzz.

by Anonymousreply 89October 12, 2021 6:36 PM

So will Yorick get gang raped by the prison ladies?

by Anonymousreply 90October 12, 2021 6:42 PM

It'd be great if it turned into a The Beguiled situation with the prison ladies/trans men all wanting to ride Yorick's dick. For all their talk of "we have men here; we're not impressed." They know they'll want a bio male eventually.

by Anonymousreply 91October 12, 2021 6:50 PM

Is that peen shown in episode 2 at the dry cleaner?

by Anonymousreply 92October 14, 2021 7:58 AM

I think I saw full peen.

by Anonymousreply 93October 14, 2021 9:01 PM

Schnetzer really is sexy in a laid back, unassuming way. His dad was fucking gorgeous back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 94October 14, 2021 9:46 PM

Unfortunately, this is not getting renewed :( Shame. Will they wrap this up on one season?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 17, 2021 9:00 PM

Not surprised by that, R95. Eliza Clark was the wrong showrunner for this show. And the look of it in terms of locations and actors-fucking bland Canada-really sucked it of energy.

by Anonymousreply 96October 17, 2021 9:03 PM

I’m bummed!

by Anonymousreply 97October 17, 2021 9:04 PM

Well shit.

by Anonymousreply 98October 17, 2021 9:48 PM

Surprisingly good episode considering it's a Hero and Roxanne centered episode.

by Anonymousreply 99October 18, 2021 6:21 AM

It’s really FX’s fault for making it streaming only on Hulu instead of actually showing it on FX.

by Anonymousreply 100October 18, 2021 8:33 AM

Go woke. Go broke.

by Anonymousreply 101October 18, 2021 9:18 AM

So, do we send mini bottles of testosterone to Hulu in a bid to get them to uncancel it?

by Anonymousreply 102October 18, 2021 1:28 PM

R81 Diane doesn't work for that blind. She worked with Coppola again in the mid 90s on the Robin Williams film "Jack".

by Anonymousreply 103October 18, 2021 1:43 PM

Bummer that a show which had been in one form of development or another for about a decade wouldn't make ti past the first season.

But if anyone wants to experience the full story, I'd recommend going straight to the source material. It's a wonderful 60-issue series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104October 18, 2021 2:17 PM

I'll add that you should try to buy from your local comic book shop rather than from Amazon. They'll appreciate the business.

by Anonymousreply 105October 18, 2021 2:23 PM

No Diane Lane, Ben Schnetzer, Agent 355 or Amber Tamblyn in today’s episode. Which meant I fast forwarded through the whole damn thing. Marin Ireland can not carry an episode and neither can Missy whatsername and Olivia whatsername. Uh uh. This show deserves what it got. What a fucking disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 106October 19, 2021 1:01 AM

Actually despite none of those other favorites being in this episode it was a very strong one, reminiscent of some of the best Handmaid’s Tale episodes where the flashback informs and elevates the current characters motivations and transforms how you look at them.

by Anonymousreply 107October 19, 2021 1:17 AM

I was really enjoying this show and felt that FX/Hulu was a great home for it, and that the cast was great. I can't believe that they let Legion go on for three boring seasons and they can't give this a chance.

by Anonymousreply 108October 19, 2021 5:52 PM

Wow, this episode was just about one of the best things I’ve seen on TV this year, maybe the last few years. This show is really coming together just as it was undone. Pretty much all the character’s story arcs moved forward in dramatic way and they covered most everyone in the show with the exception of the Transman character. Yorick goading Agent 355 into dancing to the song Scrubs was just so perfect. I’m really going to miss this a show if it doesn’t get picked up by another network soon. This so deserves a longer life.

by Anonymousreply 109October 25, 2021 6:41 PM

R17, I know, so annoying

R16, I didn't know Ben Schnetzer is a nepotism kid, so disappointing. I thought he made it straight out of drama school because he was talented.

by Anonymousreply 110October 26, 2021 5:28 PM

How much away does two forgotten soap actors have? Also, Ben went to drama school in London, where he still lives. I think he actually gets work due to talent and not family connections.

by Anonymousreply 111October 26, 2021 6:02 PM

Really? You think he got this part because his parents were soap actors in the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 112October 26, 2021 11:29 PM

Thank god Regina got a bullet in her skull. What an annoying cunt. And the actress playing her really should have watched how she said “about.”

by Anonymousreply 113October 27, 2021 12:42 AM

R113 I did not see that coming, but one of the most deserved deaths in TV history.

by Anonymousreply 114October 27, 2021 2:04 AM

I never realized how much I like Diane Lane until this show. A lot of the acting here is either slight nuance or a ham sandwich but she nails it most of the time. I hope her next role is similarly boss lady in charge.

by Anonymousreply 115October 27, 2021 2:16 AM

The storyline lost a big conflict when they shot the right wing woman. Did that happen in the graphic novel? How many more episodes are there? I'm really disappointed there's not going to be a second season.

by Anonymousreply 116October 27, 2021 2:32 AM

I was wowed by Lane's performance in last year's LET HIM GO.

by Anonymousreply 117October 27, 2021 8:26 AM

@R112 So both his parents are in ther business??? Stop being naive, of course you get a leg up, because your parents know the ropes and have contacts, which makes things easier. You are the type that thinks that Lourdes Leon (Madonna's daughter) was photographed for Vogue because she is talented model.

@R111 another DLer wet behind the ears, you think you can live in a city as expensive as London as a thespian without connections? Come on.

by Anonymousreply 118October 27, 2021 8:20 PM

R116, there is only one episode left

by Anonymousreply 119October 27, 2021 8:21 PM

[quote]So both his parents are in ther business??? Stop being naive, of course you get a leg up, because your parents know the ropes and have contacts,

They're so well-connected that his mother hasn't booked a tv gig since 2003 and his father sporadically gets day parts.

by Anonymousreply 120October 27, 2021 10:14 PM

Oh ffs R120, the mum is 71 years old. Even actors retire, you know? Some people can and do decide they have had enough.

by Anonymousreply 121October 28, 2021 12:44 AM

R120 agreed. Comparing this guy to the child of MADONNA...yeah they really had similar advantages.

The father's wikipedia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122October 28, 2021 12:57 AM

It's obvious, in the film industry, nepotism is king. Most of the people you see on the silver screen especially the actors, are there because they know someone who knows someone or they blew, sorry, ingratiated themselves with someone or there were extremely lucky (0.0001%). It may not be apparent to you or to the naked eye, but unfortunately that's the name of the game.

R122, really sorry, did you not know this? Did I burst your bubble somehow? There is no cinderella bs story. Yeah, that's what the PR people peddle because they can't simply say: 'She is in the movie because Harvey screwed her' or 'His dad and the director went to Juilliard together'

And I don't blame the actors for taking advantage of every opportunity they get. It's a cut-throat business; if I were them, I would do the same.

by Anonymousreply 123October 28, 2021 1:38 AM

Ugh, this was so good and I love these characters and want to know what happens next. Slight peeve this episode though on two points, the pool having been filtrated and maintained enough that it looked like that couldn’t have happened and in the end driving through the freshly planted and growing fields.

by Anonymousreply 124November 1, 2021 4:35 PM

R123 his father is a working actor, but no one famous or noteworthy. A couple soap operas and a nasal spray commercial. His son has already FAR exceeded his career.

by Anonymousreply 125November 1, 2021 11:57 PM

Nicely done analysis of some key aspects of the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126November 2, 2021 1:40 AM

R125, he doesn't need to be famous. It's the knowledge that he has that puts his son at an advantage. The knowledge both his parents have that put their son at an advantage.

I remember watching on Youtube an interview of Scottish actor Ewan McGregor with the Screen Actors Guild and what he explained about the impact his uncle (an actor and director) had on him at the 3:04 mark in the clip and then at 11:49 and at the 34:40 mark where he talks about how his uncle gave him a masterclass on the kind of thing he'll find on his first day filming a TV series, before his first professional gig as an actor. That kind of stuff is invaluable. Ewan had also been to Guildhall like Ben.

But it's obvious that if your parents instead of actors or working in the business in any other capacity are for example, a mechanic and a housewife, you never get that sort of insight, even if you go to drama school. And Ewan's uncle (Denis Lawson) maybe famous to some, but he does not have George Clooney's mainstream fame or anything of the sort — I had never heard of him, even though he has worked tons, in TV series, plays and films.

I'm sure Ewan, like Ben, know how lucky they are compared to their other classmates. And the ones that don't 'make it' is not for lack of trying or talent. Again, not rocket science.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 2, 2021 1:52 AM

I’m crushing on Ben almost as much as I did as a gayling on his dad in those black speedos on Another World.

by Anonymousreply 128November 2, 2021 12:05 PM

I think this show tanked because they alienated the MAGAts . It's a real shame since this is one of the better shows I've seen in 2021. Maybe Netflix will pick it up.

by Anonymousreply 129November 3, 2021 4:39 AM

[quote]They're so well-connected that his mother hasn't booked a tv gig since 2003 and his father sporadically gets day parts.

As R121 said, people retire. (With his mom at 71 and his father at 73.)

Furthermore, most actors don't book more than one long running TV series, if that, if they're lucky.

His father was on a Soap Opera for [bold]16[/bold] years. That's a successful actor. His mother was on one for 6.

[quote]. A couple soap operas and a nasal spray commercial. His son has already FAR exceeded his career.

Ah, good ole' "recency bias." Unless his son gets on a show that doesn't get cancelled after a season, he has had nowhere near his father's career.

by Anonymousreply 130November 3, 2021 4:52 AM

Okay, can we please just all agree that Ben Schnetzer has been cast in all 19 of his IMDb credits because his parents were once soap actors so the nepotism troll will shut up and fuck off???

by Anonymousreply 131November 3, 2021 5:19 AM

So (SPOILER), the two main villains are dead. That leaves less for plot conflict, even as the three characters drive to the covert agents. Does this align with the original graphic novel/comic book?

by Anonymousreply 132November 3, 2021 5:39 AM

This probably gives the clearest interpretation of where the show was going.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133November 3, 2021 6:21 AM

I am still hoping that one of the streamers picks it up. Amazon or Netflix wouldn't even blink budgetary wise.

by Anonymousreply 134November 3, 2021 5:10 PM

This is encouraging at the very least.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 4, 2021 9:14 AM

R135, Stephen King called the source material "The best graphic novel I've ever read."

by Anonymousreply 136November 4, 2021 10:42 AM

Except the tv series now have little to do with graphic novel itself.

by Anonymousreply 137November 4, 2021 11:03 AM

No one wants to see trannies. Next.

by Anonymousreply 138November 4, 2021 11:10 AM

R138 They are a very small part of the narrative of the TV series and it would be very strange not to have Transmen in the story.

by Anonymousreply 139November 4, 2021 11:51 AM

There is only one "trannie" in it and "they" are barely featured.

by Anonymousreply 140November 4, 2021 12:42 PM

R138, you are wrong. I want to see a variety of people, of all shapes, sizes, ethnicities, identities and sexualities; as long as they are good actors, in a excellent series like this one.

e, so be it..

by Anonymousreply 141November 6, 2021 12:49 AM

I would watch this just to see Ben Shnetzer. Can't believe he's the same actor from the Book Thief. He's really nice to look at.

by Anonymousreply 142November 6, 2021 12:53 AM

Yes, R142 he's lost weight. He looked a bit chubbier on 'The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair' and on 'Pride'

by Anonymousreply 143November 6, 2021 12:59 AM

Well, she failed the show by producing it and making wrong headed decisions so it’s no surprise it’s not going to have a future anywhere else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144January 16, 2022 9:52 PM

Bet they're sorry they recast me as the doomed male president, huh? I fingered Diane Lane in my Oscar Night limo in 1981, and THIS is how she repays me?

by Anonymousreply 145January 17, 2022 1:57 AM

For post-apocalyptic dystopia fans, 'Station Eleven' is quite good, with a co-gendered cast, a few gay characters, and no trans drama.

by Anonymousreply 146January 17, 2022 7:46 AM

thats a shame. The original story had potential and it had a good cast.

by Anonymousreply 147January 17, 2022 8:03 AM

Just watched this. Had a great buildup of the first four episodes, but slowly (and completely) lost its way by Episode 8.

Episode 8 was a complete clusterfuck. The Costco/Missy Pyle storyline made no fucking sense and was a gigantic waste of time.

Performances were pretty great, as was casting. Even the tranny was very good. The only weak link was the actress who played Beth. She couldn't act for shit and she was completely charm-free. It made no sense that Yorick was so focused on her that he would risk everything to find her.

Kind of glad it didn't go a 2nd season. I don't think they had any idea where they were headed.

by Anonymousreply 148May 27, 2023 7:46 PM

How did you watch it, I heard they removed it from the streaming service a week or so ago.

by Anonymousreply 149May 27, 2023 7:49 PM

No, it left at midnight last night. I was watching it all this past week.

by Anonymousreply 150May 27, 2023 7:55 PM

I wanted to watch the Sex Pistols miniseries, too, but I ran out of time. I thought I had until June 1. It wasn't until I went to watch the final episode of Y last night that I saw all the "Last Day" warnings on the shows I had bookmarked.

by Anonymousreply 151May 27, 2023 7:58 PM

I see. Crazy to think you just can't watch these shows on streaming anymore from now on. Brave new world...

by Anonymousreply 152May 27, 2023 8:00 PM

They will probably license them to either Roku or Tubi. When the mass of shows left HBO Max last year, I believe Roku picked them all up. Of course, you now have to watch them with a bunch of fucking commercials.

by Anonymousreply 153May 27, 2023 8:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!