Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Y: The Last Man, meet your new President, Diane Lane

New post apocalyptic FX/Hulu series based on a long running comic where all the world’s men have died off- except for one who is the new President’s wayward son, a very bad magician and escape artist- with a monkey! First three episodes have dropped and it’s a gripping rollercoaster ride with lots of twists. Diane’s doing some of the best work she’s ever done and faces foes like the John McCainesque conservative daughter of the president she replaced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 21, 2021 4:45 AM

I loved the comics series, and have been waiting years for an adaptation. I’m not disappointed. The first three episodes are great.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2021 2:38 AM

I read the description on Hulu because I like dystopian and post-apocalyptic stories. I was amused that they specified the survivor was a "cisgender" man. I guess talking about chromosomes is a dangerous business these days.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2021 2:45 AM

Yes, quite transphobic to even attempt to tie chromosomes and gender!

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 2:48 AM

Do Trans women survive?

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 2:49 AM

This premiere today must have overloaded Hulu’s already glitchy platform. It took me three tries today to watch it without the whole thing crashing.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 3:15 AM

Initially there wasn’t Trans representation in the graphic novels, but it is included here in the series. The actor who played Ian’s boyfriend in Shameless is part of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 4:27 AM

So, bio-men could have survived if they'd chopped off their dicks?

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 4:48 AM

R7 Don’t quite understand genetics do you, the Y chromosome doesn’t reside in the penis.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 4:59 AM

R8 You don't quite understand reality. Chopping off the cock does not make one a women, and the Y chromosome would mean tranny ladies die.

R6 So, they have shat on the source graphic novel to make it fantasy bollocks to appease the mentals?

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2021 6:30 AM

[quote] [R7] Don’t quite understand genetics do you, the Y chromosome doesn’t reside in the penis.

Exactly, you don’t need to chop off anything to identify as trans. Self ID is a thing, you know. Transwomen are women. The disease kills off all the men in the world so of course it does not kill the transwomen since they’re women.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2021 6:45 AM

R10 Your sarcasm is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2021 6:47 AM

This looks so dumb. Is it any good?

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2021 12:57 PM

For those too stupid to follow, the Trans Men are still around because although they are now men they were born biologically female and thus have XX chromosomes. the problem is though having access to Testosterone to be able to maintain their hormonal needs to continue being male.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2021 2:27 PM

Watched ep. 1-3. It's rather good. the trans bit gets a few minutes (same trans from 'Shameless', U.S.). What's good is the ensuing battle between dumbass post-Trumpian women and moderate Dems. Looks like women 'run the world,' but MAGAt hags will fuck it up again with idealogical power grabs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2021 5:45 PM

Damn those fucking bland Canadian day player actors. The nerd at the support group said something like “I couldn’t think ABOOT anything but dick.”

This isn’t too bad. I love Diane Lane. The guy playing her son is cute but has a weird thing with his “s”.’s. What’s with the herpes on the daughter’s lip?

I might stick with this.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2021 1:58 AM

I love Diane Lane!

Yorick is cute and looked good naked. He’s not as hot as his daddy Cass Winthrop was back in the 80s!

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2021 2:01 AM

That fuckn' monkey!

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2021 3:46 AM

I didn't even recognize Paul Gross as the President.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2021 7:21 AM

I rather enjoyed the first 3 episodes. This got potential.

I like that the only surviving man is a whiny little prick.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2021 10:26 AM

I thought the lead actor's last name sounded familiar and then after Googling I realized his father is Stephen Schnetzer who played Cass on Another World and a couple of other shows, and Ben Olsen on Days of Our Lives and his mother is Nancy Snyder who was Katrina on One Life to Live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2021 12:57 PM

The daughter is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2021 3:51 AM

The daughter was kind of a cunt in the comics, too. I read an interview with the show runner where she talked about the changes to the series vs. the comics. It has been a long time since I read the original, but I haven’t seen any glaring changes yet. The trans character and the conservative bitches are new, but they fit fine. I might have to check it out from the library to refresh my memory.

Diane Lane and the actress playing Agent 355 are perfectly cast.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2021 4:11 AM

The son is cute and was cute in the film "Pride". Brian from "Tales of the City" looked good as a silver daddy! I LOVE Diane Lane. The comic made Yorick more of a hero than the doofus he is here but I'm liking what they've done to his character. I hope Agent 355 smacks his ass down.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2021 4:13 AM

Is Amber Tamblyn really that chunky or is it padding? It feels likes she's playing a Meghan McCain type.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2021 4:16 AM

R24 Probably that chunky. She doesn't give a shit about standards of beauty, etc. She's a Dunham type minus the sanctimony

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2021 9:45 AM

Ben Schnetzer is cute and talented. Glad to see him getting a big TV gig.

He was the lead in "The Nap" on Broadway - he did a great job and got very impressively shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2021 9:53 AM

Ben's daddy getting preyed upon by Linda Dano:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2021 9:56 AM

[quote]First three episodes have dropped and it’s a gripping rollercoaster ride with lots of twists

You’re a moron.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2021 12:26 PM

More so then him, but the father looks Middle Eastern, is that their heritage?

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2021 2:00 PM

Something that doesn't make sense is that everyone seems to be starving. 4 billion people died so shouldn't there be plenty of food on the shelves?

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2021 3:52 AM

I see references to a cunty daughter. Is this the type of show that will interrupt perfectly good plot lines to focus on teenage angst? If so hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2021 5:08 AM

It's a cunty daughter who's an alcoholic fuck up and is deliberately hiding from her mother after the apocalypse because she just can't deal.🙄

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2021 5:21 AM

I just CAN'T EVEN with this apocalypse

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2021 5:27 AM

She’s so cunty, that even the needy Trans characters kind of have had enough of her.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2021 6:15 AM

Olivia Thirlby is a good example of undercasting. They could have gotten someone much more compelling for that role.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2021 12:43 PM

[quote]Something that doesn't make sense is that everyone seems to be starving. 4 billion people died so shouldn't there be plenty of food on the shelves?

That was my thought, also. But I think, much like when the pandemic happened the shelves have gone bare because, in this circumstance, people are looting.

First great three episodes. I forgot that weirdo Barry Keoghan was originally cast as Yorick and dropped out. Glad he left or the producers got rid of him because Schnetzer is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2021 7:21 AM

I was originally cast as the Last Male President, but they reshot my scenes for reasons unknown.

I still have an Oscar. And Diane Lane? I fucked her twice on Oscar weekend!

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2021 7:33 AM

I don’t think a single frame of the pilot, which was shot in NY, survived.

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2021 2:12 PM

[quote]4 billion people died so shouldn't there be plenty of food on the shelves?

Food can't produce and deliver itself, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2021 2:21 PM

R38 So there was an original pilot that was completely scrapped? I heard this had quite the journey getting to screen, but not that.

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2021 7:04 PM

Y: The Last Man showrunner Eliza Clark addressed some of the obstacles she had to clear during filming. She also dismissed any concerns about the impact the series’ reshoots had on the finished product.

“I can’t speak to exactly what happened before I came on board,” said Clark. “But I’ll say this: I was not brought on to patch holes in a dam. I was brought on for an entirely new take. I got to re-shoot the pilot entirely and rewrite it entirely. From there, besides COVID, we have not had a crazy … It hasn’t been a troubled show. COVID shut everyone down, but we’ve been cooking with gas since the beginning.”

“There were a lot of amazing cast members that I got to inherit, including the people who ended up leaving,” added Clark. “But, schedules and whatever, it’s a long time to give to a project if there are things that happened before, you know what I mean? I think people have been attached for a long time and I got to end up with the cast I wanted and needed. I think you will be very excited if you love the books to see this incredible cast. Have you seen Ashley Romans do her thing [as 355]? I mean, she’s incredible.”

Clark’s forebears on the series initially cast Captain Marvel’s Lashana Lynch to play Agent 355, who also happens to be one of the comic’s most pivotal supporting characters. It wasn’t until Clark took over as showrunner that Romans inherited the role. And this wasn’t the only casting shakeup that happened under Clark’s watch. Barry Keoghan was originally set to headline the series as the titular “last man,” Yorick Brown. However, he left the show at the beginning of last year after filming on the original pilot had already begun. Clarke subsequently cast Ben Schnetzer to replace him before shooting recommenced last fall. Around that time, Olivia Thirlby also replaced Imogen Poots as Yorick’s sister, Hero.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2021 7:15 PM

R40, the pilot was shot in September and October 2018 in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2021 7:27 PM

This series would better serve to be a binge watch. This week's episode just treads water.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2021 6:08 PM

I dunno, the market shoot-out, and the farm gals and Missy Pyle's entrance were quite dramatic.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2021 8:03 PM

This is definitely great at continuing to ratchet up the tension and the twists, that last scene was as like the end of Raiders of the Ark.

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2021 9:59 PM

Missi Pyle is always great. Shame she has never become a big star, but maybe she doesn’t want that?

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2021 10:44 PM

Is Missi the dykey leader of girl police who came in channeling Cherry Jones?

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2021 10:52 PM

R46 she's a great character actress. She works regularly, does good work, gets liked and probably still has a life.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2021 11:09 PM

She was good in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2021 11:59 PM

Are they trying to make us hate Yorick and Hero? Because I do. Diane Lane raised two whiny assholes.

by Anonymousreply 50September 21, 2021 12:02 AM

R50 pretty much. "I'd rather spend time cold and hungry in an apocalypse than see my mom! Sorry friend!"

by Anonymousreply 51September 21, 2021 12:06 AM

Whenever I think of Diane Lane I picture Josh Brilon dragging her across the kitchen by her hair and kicking her in the stomach. Funny how he’s starring in blockbusters and she’s on some TV show.

by Anonymousreply 52September 21, 2021 12:09 AM

My mom says I'm selfish and never think about other people! What a bitch! I'm going to disable the only working vehicle we've found so nobody can leave!

by Anonymousreply 53September 21, 2021 12:11 AM

I saw ads for this all summer on Hulu, but didn't know until a week ago that Diane Lane was in it.

by Anonymousreply 54September 21, 2021 12:17 AM

Hero was ironically named.

by Anonymousreply 55September 21, 2021 12:20 AM

What is the plot beyond the premise?

by Anonymousreply 56September 21, 2021 12:25 AM

So how did three of the stories converge so quickly and where exactly are they? Agent and Yorick are supposedly an hour from Boston, Hero and friend left NYC for DC and are near 95, and mother and daughter fled DC and walked north for a week. Was that supposed to be the Eagles stadium in Philly maybe? Giants stadium in Secaucus? Obviously it was filmed in Canada and looked more like a soccer stadium? I was not expecting them to all be in the same orbit. And Agent caused the other helicopter to explode right?

by Anonymousreply 57September 21, 2021 12:27 AM

[quote]And Agent caused the other helicopter to explode right?

Yes; and she continues to be the smartest person in the show. She knew those women would talk. so she had to handle them. If Yorick keeps whining about Beth I want him to end up with the same fate.

by Anonymousreply 58September 21, 2021 12:30 AM

He won't die. He's the title character and the only potential "savior" since the MAGAt gals' precious sperm banks seem to be off the table.

by Anonymousreply 59September 21, 2021 12:34 AM

The Meghan McCain character is spot on. She must be DoorDashing a lot of burgers in rage.

by Anonymousreply 60September 21, 2021 12:36 AM

R56, the premise does sound good, but I suspect that this is just The Walking Dead all over again: lots of story lines, but none of them go anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 61September 21, 2021 1:10 AM

The actress playing Agent 355 is definitely the reason to watch this show. She’s very compelling.

by Anonymousreply 62September 21, 2021 2:50 AM

[quote] Don’t quite understand genetics do you, the Y chromosome doesn’t reside in the penis.

YOU don't understand genetics. The Y chromosome is throughout the male body. Your chromosomes are In every cell that has nuclei.

by Anonymousreply 63September 21, 2021 4:26 AM

[quote]4 billion people died so shouldn't there be plenty of food on the shelves?

I do need my bags of frozen peas.

by Anonymousreply 64September 21, 2021 4:40 AM

R63 You need to go back and see the context of that statement.

by Anonymousreply 65September 21, 2021 4:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!