Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Eyes of Tammy Faye" Reviews

Not the Oscars homerun many were counting on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140August 19, 2022 5:45 AM

Aww the trailer looked really fun. I'd ne er heard of her before seeing this on here

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2021 6:41 PM

Great reviews about Jessica's work, at least

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2021 6:43 PM

The Bakkers are a bit of a shopworn subject, but Jessica Chastain has a good chance at an Oscar nom and, indeed, a win.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2021 6:48 PM

Jessica or Emmanuelle Riva should have won the Oscar in 2013

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2021 6:50 PM

I guess Catherine O'Hara aged out of the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2021 10:10 PM

These two were definitely unavailable. And unmatchable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2021 10:35 PM

Went to a screening tonight in NYC. Jessica Chastain is absolutely getting a Best Actress Oscar nomination-she’s amazing as Tammy Faye. Andrew McCarthy is also wonderful. The film has a long running time but didn’t feel too long. I think every single news anchor around in the 1980s/1990s is included.

Sam Jaeger plays Roe Messner, Tammy Faye’s second husband although we never find out they actually ended up marrying each other-he’s only seen in the film as a business associate of Jim’s. Anyway I want that cleft chinned cutie deep inside me.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 3:29 AM

The *real* drama...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 3:39 AM

Jan Hooks was perfect!

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2021 3:43 AM

Whenever I see the name “Jessica Chastain” I just think of “Misery Chastain” and think it’s gotta be an assumed name inspired by that character.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2021 4:01 AM

"Andrew McCarthy is also wonderful."

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2021 4:02 AM

All I know is that the real Tammy Faye was dick repellant. I see why Jim got his pussy elsewhere. That was one ugly bitch!

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2021 4:06 AM

WEHT Kristin Chenoweth's Tammy Faye project that she talked about for years?

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2021 4:13 AM

R7 oooh, thanks for the tip!

Sam Jaeger is creamy DILFy goodness and I'd like a slice, please.

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2021 4:29 AM

[quote] WHET Kristin Chenoweth's Tammy Faye project that she talked about for years?

Probably went the way of the Dusty Springfield project she talked about for years.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2021 4:29 AM

I was confused by this - there was already a movie called this, but it was a documentary.

Hmmm - maybe I need to see this.

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2021 4:31 AM

R16 Yes, and done by the same producers if I remember right

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2021 4:32 AM

Oops. My bad. Apologies to Andrew Garfield.

I LOATHE Andrew McCarthy but must admit his smug, smarmy grin would at one point have made his a pretty good Jim Bakker.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2021 3:54 PM

This is another "Judy" situation--mediocre movie with an Oscar-worthy performance by its lead.

Life with the Ricardos will be the superior film and Nicole Kidman will probably beat out Jessica during awards season.

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2021 4:03 PM

She may pull it off but I still think Chastain is horribly miscast.

When I think of Tammy Faye, I think of a squat wide woman. Not horrible fat, but a good size 14.

Could THiS have been Beanie’s breakthrough role? Or perhaps Lens?

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2021 4:12 PM

R20, you're correct that Chastain is horribly miscast. I'm going to a screening tonight and watched the Ted Koppel 'Nightline' interview with Jim and Tammy Faye to jog my memory. Andrew Garfield looks much more like Jim than I would've remembered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2021 4:41 PM

Trust me, R20, she more than pulls it off. And with her absolutely incredible (and no doubt Oscar worthy) hair/make-up team she often looks unrecognizable in the second half of the film.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2021 6:09 PM

r12=Jessica Hahn

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2021 7:57 PM

Most movies suck. Oscars are a joke now that they no longer move the needle with theatre attendance or DVD sales. They will still help increase salaries…for a while. Until someone realizes there is not enough ROI to pay a new Oscar winner more.

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2021 8:17 PM

ROI?

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2021 10:14 PM

I grew up with Jessica Hahn cause she always called into the Howard Stern Show, I think she still does. I think she dated that hideous loud comedian from the 80’s after Playboy. Sam Kennison or whoever.

I don’t think Jessica can pull off Tammy either. Tammy was short and stubby and adorable in a campy way. I don’t see that in Jessica.

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2021 10:25 PM

Sam Kinison actually appears in the film commenting on Jim and Tammy Faye.

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2021 10:37 PM

R19 Excuse me, have we all forgotten moi?

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2021 10:43 PM

An absolutely essential element of Tammy Faye is that she was not attractive. It’s what make her Tammy Faye. It was a big mistake to hire an attractive actress. It’s like hiring a 7’ basketball player to portray one of the Munchkins.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2021 1:27 AM

R25 Return on Investment.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2021 1:36 AM

R12 Jim got his dick elsewhere, as well.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2021 1:53 AM

R29 This was a job for a messy Reese Witherspoon.

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2021 1:56 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2021 1:59 AM

R7 got me excited that Andrew McCarthy was making a return to Oscar-bait films…ALAS

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2021 2:05 AM

Jim was screwing guys right left and center!

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2021 2:53 AM

R21 here...just returned home from the screening. There were maybe 50 of us in the free screening. (Compare that to when I saw 'Jackie' at the same theatre for a free screening in 2016, and they had to turn people away.) I digress on that front; the film exceeded my expectations, and at times (during close-ups) I really believed Chastain was Tammy Faye. (The irony if the makeup artists win the Oscar for doing her up like garish Tammy Faye.)

Garfield was very good as Jim, and Cherry Jones deserves a nomination for playing Tammy's mum Rachel. Chastain will get a nomination, but will not win. There was something missing in her performance, and it's hard to place my finger on it. She had the speaking voice and vulnerability down pat, but at times the acting (and her height) shone through and I no longer believed her as Tammy. Many of the PTL show scenes and scenes outside the courthouse were scripted verbatim to exactly what happened in real life. (They even played a couple of scenes side-by-side in the closing credits.)

I could be dead wrong and Chastain may be a shoo-in, as we all know the Academy loves a bio pic and an actress "getting ugly" for a role. Showalter reeled in the camp as director, and also tackled the gay aspects of Jim. Overall I'd give it a B-. I was glad to see in the credits that Tammy Sue and Jamie Bakker consulted on the project. Jim, of course, did not.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2021 5:50 AM

Tiffany Trump would've made a great Tammy Faye! Same body type.

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2021 5:58 AM

I loved this video with Sam Kinison, the 80's rockers and Jessica Hahn. Good for a laugh, and probably wouldn't be able to be made today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2021 6:00 AM

I always thought Jessica Chastain was tall, but she’s only 5’4!

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2021 10:43 AM

Hanh hasn't called the Stern show in about a decade.

This movie looks TERRIBLE. From the clips, Chastain's performance looks to be the draw, but Spiderman as Jim Bakker seems like a misfire. It looks like something that would air on LOGO.

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2021 11:29 AM

Of course, the guy who hasn’t seen it weighs in, when people who have actually seen it state quite the opposite…

by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2021 11:39 AM

How about Amy Sedaris?

by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2021 11:44 AM

R41 Of course, the asshole who's seen it can't believe that someone has the nerve to have a different opinion. See how that works?

by Anonymousreply 43September 15, 2021 12:32 PM

R36, why are you harping on Chastain’s height? She’s not too tall for Patsy-she’s fine. Garfield towers over her.

Chastain is an absolute lock for a Best Actress Oscar nomination. And having seen the film I think she could win. I think she defiinitely has a good shot at the SAG award.

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2021 4:32 PM

I love that sexy Garfield, pity he hasn't shown his big willy on screen

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2021 6:10 PM

R38, is that the video where Kinison spits on Hahn? Madonna mentioned that happening when there was controversy surrounding her “Justify My Love” video (i.e. why is it okay to see Sam Kinison spitting on Jessica Hahn but not see people showing affection for each other in her video?), but I never knew what she was talking about. I refuse to watch that video at the link because the image is geometrically distorted by its uploader.

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2021 6:20 PM

[quote]All I know is that the real Tammy Faye was dick repellant. I see why Jim got his pussy elsewhere. That was one ugly bitch!

Jessica Hahn claimed that Jim told her, "Tammy Faye is too big and can't satisfy me."

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2021 6:42 PM

Like, her belly was too big? Her clit? Like, she could have been more specific.

by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2021 8:06 PM

He was saying her vajeene was like throwing a needle into a sinkhole.

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2021 8:10 PM

That's often a problem for micropeens like Bakker's.

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2021 8:14 PM

Wow. Really impressed. I saw it last night at free screening. The movie loses focus here and there and tries to ram in too much. But Jessica Chastain (and Cherry Jones, to her constant credit throughout the film) both hit it out of the ballpark. Chastain’s last twenty minutes in the film will guarantee an Oscar nomination this year.

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2021 8:42 PM

R38 timing is about right.

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2021 9:11 PM

R43, the asshole who has seen it probably has a better-informed opinion than the asshole who has not seen it and is judging it solely by the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2021 9:36 PM

R53 Whaaat? People judge movies by the trailers? How DARE they? And then people cry about it online? That's bananas.

by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2021 10:11 AM

“ Garfield’s stereotypically closet-queeny mannerisms are hard to take”

Hollywood Reporter crucified the film and Chastain/Garfield.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2021 10:40 AM

Gabriel Olds - is he a gay?

He plays Pat Robertson in the film and used to be so cute back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2021 10:48 AM

R21 and R36 here...those of you who've not seen it, please see it when it opens tomorrow. (And/or, it will be on the illegal services on Saturday). I guarantee you'll be surprised at how good it is.

Yes, it has its faults. But those who lived during that oppressive time and grew up in Christian households will be surprised how it resonates, in spite of the flaws.

by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2021 2:47 PM

I can't wait to see it.

by Anonymousreply 58September 16, 2021 2:59 PM

The scene with the AIDS patient who appears on Tammy Faye’s program is Chastain’s strongest work in the film. The empathy and the humanity were just so in abundance, I felt like I wasn’t even watching a performance at that point. Chastain completely embodied her.

by Anonymousreply 59September 16, 2021 5:43 PM

I don't mind Jess winning an Oscar, she's a decent actress who isn't ashamed of having an orange fanny

by Anonymousreply 60September 16, 2021 6:21 PM

It seems like it would have better off told like the movie about Dick Cheney was: with a knowing critical narrator, and a whole “ can you believe this shit?” Attitude. It sounds like it’s a straight up narrative which may strain believability.

by Anonymousreply 61September 16, 2021 6:53 PM

R61, does “seems” means that you haven’t actually seen the film?

by Anonymousreply 62September 16, 2021 6:58 PM

My favorite line in the film is “I can’t talk about Satan right now I’m getting ready to go somewhere.” Which she says as she’s fixing her makeup.

by Anonymousreply 63September 16, 2021 7:08 PM

R62 correct. Based on the Hollywood Reporter review, it seems as though it could have used a different approach.

by Anonymousreply 64September 16, 2021 7:39 PM

[quote]an orange fanny

Donald Trump in "Funny Girl."

by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2021 8:10 PM

Another Andrew Garfield and Jessica Chastain flop. Does Hollywood care? Of course not.

by Anonymousreply 66September 17, 2021 8:47 PM

When will this be on streaming? Not many people go to movie theaters anymore.

by Anonymousreply 67September 17, 2021 11:04 PM

Too many biopics are just ass kissing for their subjects. That's why Mommie Dearest is one of the few very good biopics.

by Anonymousreply 68September 18, 2021 12:03 AM

I shoudl have said instead--biopics are either kissing ass or a parody of their subject. That's why Mommie Dearest is one of the very good biopics.

by Anonymousreply 69September 18, 2021 12:04 AM

I saw this tonight and thought it was very good. Andrew Garfield and Cherry Jones are excellent, but Jessica Chastain was a revelation and would be a great Best Actress winner.

Chastain did a Q&A after the screening, and I admire her attention to detail and extensive preparation (she watched hundreds of hours of Tammy Faye footage, spoke with her children, wore Tammy Faye's perfume, and did dialogue workshops with Garfield to get the voices just right). So often, actors say they just show up on set and memorize their lines in hair and makep (*cough* Jennifer Lawrence), so it's nice to see someone taking their job seriously. In this case, the effort paid off.

by Anonymousreply 70September 18, 2021 2:27 AM

She's too old now, but once upon a time... Jean Smart.

by Anonymousreply 71September 18, 2021 2:41 AM

Chastain is quite good in Scenes from a Marriage

by Anonymousreply 72September 18, 2021 4:49 AM

R71, Jean Smart is way too tall to have ever played Tammy Faye.

by Anonymousreply 73September 18, 2021 4:52 AM

How true were the rumors about Jim Baker’s homosexuality? Did he really like men, or was that just a false rumor that Jerry Falwell spread around to ruin the Bakkers’ reputation?

by Anonymousreply 74September 18, 2021 3:27 PM

I am an evangelical Christian and was a follower of their ministry. There were lots of rumors about them at the time, Falwell knew the rumor he was gay would do the most damage to Jim among Christians and it did. He promoted it. The Bakers were really fun and charming. They brought a freshness and modernity to Evangelical - Pentecostal TV. Falwell was a BIG opponent of speaking to tongues and Pentecostal emotionalism in the church - that was another reason he opposed them. The biggest reason was he was jealous of their success and money. Falwell was an evil man, cruel and self-centered. He believed AIDs was just punishment from God for the sin of homosexuality. Tammy Faye never changed, she believed that gays who did not repent and receive Christ were going to hell. She loved the sinner but hated the sin. I don't believe she ever budged on this.

by Anonymousreply 75September 18, 2021 3:50 PM

R75, would you say the film portrayed Tammy Faye as being more gay friendly than she actually was?

by Anonymousreply 76September 18, 2021 4:05 PM

Falwell was absolutely obsessed with homosexuality.

Part of me wished he had lived longer to see his son exposed in the pool boy scandal.

Talk about just desserts.

by Anonymousreply 77September 18, 2021 4:05 PM

She was naturally kind and warm towards everyone - yes it was her "nature". She never approved of gay men having sex, for her that was a sin. If you asked her she would tell you that - unless you received Christ as your personal savior and stopped having gay sex - you were not saved and headed for Hell. There are many Christians today who feel the same way she did - love the sinner by hate the sin. She went to Pentecostal Bible College (I did too) and grew up in the Pentecostal church. Yes, she was not as "gay" friendly as people thought since she was 100% opposed to gay men being in relationships that involved sex.

by Anonymousreply 78September 18, 2021 4:14 PM

Donna Summer had the same feelings about gay men. Allegedly.

by Anonymousreply 79September 18, 2021 4:17 PM

The most shocking part of the film...

...learning the gay man with AIDS she chatted with via satellite back in the early 80s is still alive and kicking today.

I watched the WoW documentary many times over the past 20 years and always assumed that poor guy must have succumbed to the AIDS virus in a horrible way back in the Reagan years but NOPE. Still thriving and singing with the Gay Men's Choir.

I left the theater with a huge smile after seeing that.

by Anonymousreply 80September 18, 2021 4:56 PM

R80, not only that, the "virtuous, pious" Jerry Falwell and Tammy Faye are both dead, but he, the gay man with AIDS, is still alive and kicking!

by Anonymousreply 81September 18, 2021 5:55 PM

Jim Bakker had sex with 3 male employees who at least one felt was pressured into it to keep his job, Jim was abused sexually when young but I don’t know the details…he could be a closet case

by Anonymousreply 82September 19, 2021 12:04 AM

I always thought his sexual desire for Tammy Faye was legit.

by Anonymousreply 83September 19, 2021 12:30 AM

There was a TV movie in the early 90s called "Fall From Grace." Kevin Spacey was Jim Bakker and Bernadette Peters was Tammy Faye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 19, 2021 12:49 AM

@80, we were glad to see that as well. The tone of the scene made me think he was no longer with us.

Jerry Falwell was a strange man to say the least who even had issues with straight married couples expressing G-rated PDA on Library University campus, as late of 2006. I went to see a friend during a “Visitors’ Weekend” that fall, and he scolded the young marrieds to “go across the street to Wal-Mart and hold hands”.

by Anonymousreply 85September 19, 2021 1:23 AM

AIDS Activist Remembers His Landmark Interview with Tammy Faye: 'I Was Struck By Her Compassion'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 19, 2021 2:11 AM

FYI Tammy Faye's daughter Tammy Sue sings the song over the closing credits. Jessica Chastain personally asked her to do it. She has a really lovely voice.

by Anonymousreply 87September 19, 2021 3:38 AM

Tammy Faye does seem like she was a genuinely sweet person. I don’t like to believe that she was a con artist. But she definitely has some narcissistic issues.

by Anonymousreply 88September 19, 2021 7:03 AM

[quote]Talk about just desserts.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 89September 19, 2021 1:13 PM

Jessica Chastain is not going to win best actress.

by Anonymousreply 90September 19, 2021 1:19 PM

Here's the song mentioned by r87 that Tammy Sue sings. It's a cover of a Tammy Faye song that Chastain is shown recording in the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 19, 2021 1:53 PM

R90, you sound very sure of yourself, don’t you? You shouldn’t be.

This will be a relatively weak year in the Best Actress category. Frances McDormand won’t be winning two years in a row. And Chastain just won Best Actress at the Toronto Film Festival. She’s got a very good shot at winning the Oscar, too.

by Anonymousreply 92September 19, 2021 5:43 PM

So should we go? Those who’ve seen it please reply!

by Anonymousreply 93September 19, 2021 6:49 PM

Yes, definitely go. It is fun and Garfield is adorable as usual.

by Anonymousreply 94September 19, 2021 7:11 PM

I'm not on board with all this Tammy Faye Bakker rehabilitation just because she wasn't Jerry Falwell and wanted to boil the gays in oil.

She was a con artist who ripped off millions of dollars from people, many of them poor.

She never paid that back.

I'm glad she wasn't Satan incarnate, but she doesn't deserve praise for not shivving an AIDS patient.

by Anonymousreply 95September 19, 2021 7:13 PM

Tammy Faye’s scene with the AIDS patient should be Chastain’s Oscar clip. Her performance really deepened in that moment and then she kept it up for the rest of the film.

by Anonymousreply 96September 19, 2021 7:59 PM

Many of their victims were elderly or on fixed incomes. These dollars they gave were very precious. They went after these same people to sell time shares to. They preyed on them like wolves.

by Anonymousreply 97September 19, 2021 8:35 PM

R92 Toronto doesn’t have a best actress award. She won something else, a spotlight on her career.

by Anonymousreply 98September 19, 2021 8:39 PM

Yes, r93, go see it. I am not a Chastain fan - she is so cringeworthy in interviews - but I was very impressed with this performance and fully expect her to be Oscar nominated, and Cherry Jones is deserving of a supporting nom.

by Anonymousreply 99September 19, 2021 8:41 PM

I’d love to finally see Cherry Jones at the Oscars even though she’d most likely lose to Ariana DeBose or Jayne Houdyshell. However there wouldn’t be any pressure so Cherry could enjoy just being there.

by Anonymousreply 100September 19, 2021 8:45 PM

R101 Cherry Jones? No way. I lol’d when they showed a picture of her in the colonies on the Handmaid’s Tale. Smug old woman.

by Anonymousreply 101September 19, 2021 8:48 PM

R101 = Holland Taylor

by Anonymousreply 102September 20, 2021 5:09 PM

Is this produced by the people who made the original documentary?

by Anonymousreply 103September 20, 2021 5:16 PM

R103, the directors of the documentary are executive producers of the new film.

by Anonymousreply 104September 20, 2021 5:22 PM

R104 - Thanks!

Aren't they also the creators of RuPaul's Drag Race?

by Anonymousreply 105September 20, 2021 5:24 PM

R105, IMDb and Wikipedia list them as producers of that show. I could not find a "created by" credit.

by Anonymousreply 106September 20, 2021 5:30 PM

I am too lazy to look it up but I have a slight recollection that Fenton Bailey was involved in the documentary. It maybe I'm conflating it with the Party Monster doc.

by Anonymousreply 107September 24, 2021 9:47 PM

I saw the doc then this new one, Jessica had the accent wrong..like a Fargo esque heavy Minnesota. she also wasn’t any bird in the singing department and there wasn’t any good widely popular music at all which all great films have. I loved Andrew playing Jim and I loved their waterfront home I thing filmed in Wilmington NC. the southern light was stupendous.

by Anonymousreply 108September 29, 2021 3:28 AM

R108, you’re right, Jessica had a heavy Minnesota accent, but when you watch the real Tammy Faye, she did not have that heavy of an accent, but more of a little girl/chipmunk kind of voice.

by Anonymousreply 109September 29, 2021 7:34 PM

Yet in interviews, Chastain said that she watched hours and hours an hours of Tammy Faye just to get her voice right...

by Anonymousreply 110September 30, 2021 10:55 AM

I lived through it. I don't need to revisit it again... but I will probably watch it when it is free or streaming somewhere I already pay.

by Anonymousreply 111September 30, 2021 2:48 PM

Does Jessica show her bare titties?

by Anonymousreply 112September 30, 2021 3:01 PM

It was very enjoyable and Chastain had a better singing voice than I'd imagined.

by Anonymousreply 113September 30, 2021 3:45 PM

R112 unfortunately no

by Anonymousreply 114October 2, 2021 4:08 AM

Some old queen here will know...when PTL went bankrupt, who got the rights to all Tammy Faye's songs? I'm fairly sure she didn't have them, and I've read somewhere before (either in her or Jim's memoirs) that the remaining Tammy Faye records and cassettes were buried in a huge construction pit on the PTL property after the Bakkers were ousted.

So who is profiting from the songs being used in the movie...the writers and publishers?

by Anonymousreply 115October 3, 2021 8:44 AM

I am from Charlotte where Jim and Tammy lived. Back in the 80s I was a sales rep with limited money for clothes. I was at Stein Mart trying on a sport coat. Tammy walked up behind me, patted me on the back and told me “You should buy that, it looks great.” I knew who she was immediately so I asked her to help me pick out a tie. She said she had to get in line and get home. She could not have been nicer. Jim on the other hand was known around here for being gay as a goose.

by Anonymousreply 116October 3, 2021 1:51 PM

The movie no one wanted at a time we least need it.

by Anonymousreply 117October 8, 2021 12:21 PM

I have a voice issue with Chastain as an actress. She has a high, reedy, sing-song voice that only works for me in very specifics roles.

Ditto Natalie Portman.

by Anonymousreply 118October 8, 2021 1:17 PM

I saw it a couple of weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 119October 8, 2021 6:07 PM

And, R119?

by Anonymousreply 120October 8, 2021 10:32 PM

Was Brian laundrie hiding under the seats?

by Anonymousreply 121October 11, 2021 2:49 AM

I hate jessica chastain. She's so pathetic

In an interview the questions got around to trans people and she said, "If this had been around when I was in high school (or I was younger) I'd have been all over it"

She basically thinks trans is a fad and that she'd have dressed like a boy to get attention

What a ridiculous idiot

by Anonymousreply 122October 11, 2021 2:54 AM

Or surprisingly perceptive.

by Anonymousreply 123October 11, 2021 3:10 AM

The thing about Tammy Faye was that she had a babyish speaking voice but a strong belt singing voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 11, 2021 3:10 AM

[quote] "If this had been around when I was in high school (or I was younger) I'd have been all over it"

Gender bending and androgyny were all the rage during the 80s and 90s. She’s quite dim.

by Anonymousreply 125October 11, 2021 4:21 AM

Does the film gloss over Jim’s bisexuality?

by Anonymousreply 126October 11, 2021 8:30 AM

r126, it's briefly mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 127October 11, 2021 1:38 PM

A Florida queen named Sondra Todd used to do a Tammy Faye impersonation and looked uncannily like her until she got fat in the '90s. This pageant clip was after she gained the weight, but you can kind of see the resemblance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 11, 2021 1:48 PM

Andrew Garfield just gives off this bisexual vibe, and it's delicious!

by Anonymousreply 129October 11, 2021 7:55 PM

^he stole the show didn’t he! Fabulous portrayal!

by Anonymousreply 130October 12, 2021 3:13 AM

Who keeps trying to make Tammy Faye a gay icon?

by Anonymousreply 131October 14, 2021 12:00 PM

I loved the scene where Jessica was performing this song, although I recall her voice being more baby dollish than Tammy Faye’s actual voice.

Christian Disco!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132October 15, 2021 12:40 AM

I lived through this moment in time and I have absolutely no interest in this film whatsoever. Seriously, Tammy Faye Bakker? I have nothing against Jessica Chastain. She's a good enough actress but enough of these Oscar bait biopic performances. All that craft and all that those hours in the make up chair for what? This looks like one I'm going to have to sit out. No desire to reconsider the life of a deluded Evangelical con artist. They are still all around us. Just wearing less makeup. I hope she's happy in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 133October 15, 2021 2:34 AM

The guy who plays Mark (Sam Jaeger) in The Handmaid's Tale was also in it. I saw this last night and thought it was better than I expected.

by Anonymousreply 134November 5, 2021 3:10 AM

R133 yeah somehow how no matter what it ends up as a redemption story and she and Jim do not deserve one.

by Anonymousreply 135November 6, 2021 2:55 PM

I had no idea the daughter could sing, her voice isn't great, but it's not bad at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136November 8, 2021 3:30 AM

OMFG R128 ! Sondra Todd was a good friend of mine in the 80s-early 90s ! She was always fat,poor dear. Lovely person and so hilarious ! What a blast from the past to see her on here .

by Anonymousreply 137November 8, 2021 3:47 AM

Jessica Chastain was fantastic in this.

I cried during the final scene of the movie (MARY!). Michael Showalter is a talented director. I liked that film he directed with Sally Field, too.

by Anonymousreply 138February 27, 2022 3:12 AM

Jessica really is great in this movie. I hope she wins the SAG tonight. It would be very well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 139February 27, 2022 1:55 PM

I thought Jessica and Andrew did a great job. The scene with the AIDS patient made me tear up a little. And the music producer was hot.

by Anonymousreply 140August 19, 2022 5:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!