Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coming to America (1988)

This is one of the most solid comedies to come out of the 1980s. Parts of it are a little "problematic" by Gen Z standards, and they never show the full version on TV anymore, but it's still watchable 30+ years later.

Is it Eddie Murphy's best film?

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2021 12:57 AM

This is the only time I’ve ever found Eddie Murphy funny

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2021 2:36 AM

McDowell's. It's similar to McDonald's, but with several key differences. They have the Golden Arches. I have the Golden Arcs. They have the Big Mac. I have the Big Mick. They're both two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions. But they use a sesame seed bun. My buns have no seeds.

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2021 2:38 AM

For some reason I found Arsenio Hall to be VERY cute in this. Was it just me?

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2021 2:45 AM

one of the best

erique la salle gave me the heebeejeebees. (“git your souuuuuul glo”)

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2021 2:51 AM

I always thought Murphy should have gotten an Oscar nom for his work in the first Nutty Professor film.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2021 2:54 AM

R3, it was just you. Of course I don’t like Arsenio Hall.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2021 2:57 AM

This is my favorite movie. It holds up great.

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2021 2:57 AM

Great film. Too bad he stole it from Art Buchwald.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2021 2:58 AM

It's hilarious and still holds up.

I watched it last year and I was impressed that Eddie let the rest of the cast all shine. Considering this was the peak of his popularity, he actually had more of the straight role (except when he played some of the other characters).

John Amos was hilarious, Soul Glo still cracks me up, and McDowell's is still funny.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2021 3:04 AM

"SEXUAL Chocolate!" still holds up years later. We used to shout this at each other on the sales floor I worked at years ago, for no reason whatsoever except to crack each other up.

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2021 3:06 AM

Loved the cameo by the Duke Brothers. "Mortimer: We're back!"

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2021 3:21 AM

My brother and I would repeat this line over and over. Idk why it was so funny to us, but even now we’ll say it to each other randomly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2021 3:28 AM

I love the "Taste the Soup" anecdote he tells over the end credits.

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2021 10:29 PM

This is one of those movies I can watch over and over, anytime, and still laugh. I still quote it on occasion. Unfortunately the sequel sucked, but it hasn't diminished my love for the original.

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2021 11:05 PM

R14 Did Leslie Jones ruin it with her unnecessary yelling? It's like she forgot how to modulate for an indoor voice.

She's funny, but I swear, the bitch must've played too much basketball in the bright sun. Her brain seems char-broiled sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2021 11:07 PM

I like Leslie Jones. The movie overall was just bad--terrible story, not very funny, phone-in acting from a lot of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2021 11:08 PM

I love this movie. James Earl Jones pompously draped with a dead lion is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2021 11:15 PM

The whole cast was perfection. JEJ and the lovely Madge Sinclair (who sadly died so young) were so perfect as African royalty they paired up again to voice Mufasa and Sarabi in The Lion King. There were also tons of great cameos: as mentioned Don Ameche & Ralph Bellamy, Louie Anderson, and Elaine Kagan was perfect in the telegraph scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2021 11:25 PM

^ I just noticed how many times I said perfect. Yes, I love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 19September 13, 2021 11:26 PM

There is really a sweetness to Eddie's performance that has made the film age well (for me, at least).

And "She's Your Queen" makes me HOWL!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2021 12:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!