Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

20 Years Ago Tonight Britney Spears gave us one of the VMAs most iconic performances

God. I miss this girl. She’s just not the same. She was a performer to the top degree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2021 1:57 AM

She traded the snake for a ring. She and Sam are engaged.

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2021 12:06 AM

Let's hope she didn't trade the snake for a snake.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2021 6:12 AM

People here mock Madonna but at least Madonna makes up her own mind. I always felt like Britney was never in control and she was not too bright.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 6:19 AM

I never thought she was a great performer. I didn’t think she was terrible. She just has the presence of a good backup dancer

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 6:20 AM

[quote] "20 Years Ago Tonight..."

The 2001 VMAs were held on Thursday, September 6th. So other than being incorrect for the sake of sounding dramatic, why say this?

Anyway, it WAS a bit exciting, because it was the first time the public had ever heard the lead single from her soon-to-be-released third album, "Britney" (my favorite by her). I didn't like it immediately, but it grew on me.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 6:36 AM

It's sad that the snake didn't kill her, live, on TV, that night.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 6:38 AM

It is a failure of adult entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 6:49 AM

Oh look, a lip synching hooker. With a snake.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 7:32 AM

Britney Spears at her peak was the truest embodiment ever of that peculiarly American tension between:

Children must be spared and shielded from all knowledge of sex and sexuality (including things like Janet Jackson's terrifying nipple) BUT jailbait is the hottest shit ever and all red blooded American men secretly want to fuck 16 yr olds.

Even in this song you've got that line at the beginning about "I know I may be young but I got feelings too...all you people look at me like I'm a little girl..." Britney was 20 at the time, no? Way past too old for that "little girl" shit. But that was what made her so famous, the little girl voice and that schoolgirl uniform. She never stood a chance, and her not being smart didn't help.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2021 7:56 AM

She was 19 when she sang "I'm not a girl not yet a woman" so she definitely was trying to hold onto the jailbait thing

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2021 8:13 AM

Umm this would only be iconic if that snake had bit her when she twirled around with it like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2021 8:41 AM

That snake is still alive. Her name is Banana.

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2021 8:49 AM

^And she was still kind of a baby at the time, apparently. She's now 15 feet and 100 pounds. Nice size for a Burmese python.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2021 8:53 AM

Britney was a fine entertainer before her knee injury and later mental issues. But too much of her image is derivative to be unique. Madonna took inspirations but she made them her own and Madonna used intricate choreography and theatrics. Britney was straight up a carbon copy of Janet, Aaliyah and J. Lo and she was never as good a dancer as they were. Britney had stage presence and charisma which made up for her lack of technical skills.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2021 1:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!