Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is New York City such a dump?

Disgusting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 15, 2021 3:09 AM

Why is New York City such a dump?

Because it is full of New Yorkers

by Anonymousreply 1September 12, 2021 4:54 PM

That’s the “flavor” and diversity we all want in this country. Gives NY street cred.

by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2021 4:57 PM

That’s just after Ida. The tunnel looks like it was flooded and not yet cleaned up.

by Anonymousreply 3September 12, 2021 4:58 PM

Yes, R3. Ida made sure to graffiti every square millimeter of the subway. Even the electronic displays.

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2021 5:03 PM

I'd rather DIE than live in the shithole that is NYC!

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2021 5:06 PM

OP you must be the basic bitch who started a thread recently about how ugly NYC is. No one is forcing you to visit. Go to Orlando and leave NYC to the people who appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2021 5:09 PM

Corruption. Nothing can be improved because the red tape and everyone has their hand out. The downside of a liberal government.

by Anonymousreply 7September 12, 2021 5:22 PM

r5, I 100 percent agree. I'd rather you die than live here.

Notice these poster NEVER reveal the shitty place where they live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 12, 2021 5:31 PM

How can you tell whether someone is a New Yorker ?

Answer: Because they tell you.

Smell the cranky bitch above getting pissy because someone doesn't want to live in the shitehole.

by Anonymousreply 9September 12, 2021 5:34 PM

R9 I've heard that same joke but for pilots. You're not as clever as you think you are.

by Anonymousreply 10September 12, 2021 5:40 PM

awww r9 is too poor to live in a city.

by Anonymousreply 11September 12, 2021 5:53 PM

Anyone here who actually takes the time to bitch about NYC has a bee in their bonnets, poor (and I do mean poor), bitter little things that they are. You girls are so basic.

by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2021 6:03 PM

[quote] Why is New York City such a dump?

Scores of inmates serving time on Rikers Island are being considered for early release as part of a desperate bid by Mayor Bill de Blasio to deal with the shortage of correction officers willing to work there, The Post has learned.

The horde of ex-cons would comprise the second wave of convicted criminals granted early release since last year, when officials used the COVID-19 pandemic to justify putting around 300 jailbirds back on the streets.

Those inmates were among more than 1,500 who were freed last year due to the coronavirus crisis, reducing the city’s jail population to 4,363 — a level not seen since in more than 70 years.

----------------

Fire the cops and free the cons.

by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2021 6:11 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

by Anonymousreply 14September 12, 2021 6:14 PM

You *do* love to troll, r13.

by Anonymousreply 15September 12, 2021 6:24 PM

If New Yorkers weren't such pigs they could have beautiful Metro stations like those in Stockholm

by Anonymousreply 16September 12, 2021 6:29 PM

^^^^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 12, 2021 6:30 PM

Another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2021 6:31 PM

Besides Stockholm there is the Moscow metro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2021 6:38 PM

Who wants to live in a tidy, dull city like Stockholm? Besides Swedes that is?

Seems the flyovers are feeling pressed about the greatest city in the world again. Why, has New York been featured prominently in a movie … again? Far and away the most featured city in the movies. Can you flyovers guess why?

by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2021 6:46 PM

Yeah New Yorkers make the films

by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2021 6:52 PM

Budget cuts. That station has zero security. Graffiti queens are children with uncontrollable urges to scribble and smear the their shit on a wall.

by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2021 6:53 PM

Stockholm is incredible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 12, 2021 6:54 PM

The Stockholm subway station looks like it was built inside Ingmar Bergman's asshole.

by Anonymousreply 24September 12, 2021 6:59 PM

R6 Bred to believe that NYC is the greatest city in the world

by Anonymousreply 25September 12, 2021 7:06 PM

[quote]If New Yorkers weren't such pigs they could have beautiful Metro stations like those in Stockholm

Almost no one lives in Stockholm in comparison with NYC, so the subway system gets used much, much less over there.

Plus their subway system is 70 years younger than NY's.

by Anonymousreply 26September 12, 2021 7:08 PM

Discusting I tell ya 🤡

by Anonymousreply 27September 12, 2021 7:09 PM

That narrator is ONE WHINY BITCH. I actually like the colorful graffiti in that tunnel. It’s probably more visually appealing and imaginative than the “artwork” that preceded it.

by Anonymousreply 28September 12, 2021 7:17 PM

[Quote]Almost no one lives in Stockholm in comparison with NYC, so the subway system gets used much, much less over there.

And the Swedes don't shit on the platforms. That's helpful

by Anonymousreply 29September 12, 2021 7:29 PM

[quote]If New Yorkers weren't such pigs they could have beautiful Metro stations like those in Stockholm

You cannot compare anywhere else in the world to Northern European countries, which are the most pristine and orderly in the world.

by Anonymousreply 30September 12, 2021 7:36 PM

[quote]Yeah New Yorkers make the films

Have you heard of Hollywood, Cletus?

by Anonymousreply 31September 12, 2021 7:49 PM

Stockholm may be clean but it is nowhere near as fun as NYC, kind of a stupid comparison. May as well compare New Orleans and Singapore.

by Anonymousreply 32September 12, 2021 8:19 PM

Tokyo, London and Hong Kong rail transit systems (just the ones off the top of my head) are all way nicer than the NYC subway.

by Anonymousreply 33September 12, 2021 8:57 PM

^ The second busiest transit system in the US the Metro Rail in DC is also much cleaner and safer than the New York Shitty Subway.

by Anonymousreply 34September 12, 2021 9:06 PM

Didn't the US just stop investing in infrastructure anywhere in about 1980?

It's bound to bite you on the ass at some point.

by Anonymousreply 35September 12, 2021 9:43 PM

The NYC subway system was the first and, for over a hundred years since the subway system's inception in 1904, the ONLY 24-hour subway system in the world. Of course, the dumb cunts on this thread don't think of that. Because they're basic bitches who don't (can't) live in NYC.

Your bile makes me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 36September 12, 2021 9:49 PM

R36 The London Underground was operating 24hrs part of the week prior to Covid, there currently isn't any demand but it will return in 2022.

It will also be expanded at a future point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 12, 2021 10:03 PM

[quote] Tokyo, London and Hong Kong rail transit systems (just the ones off the top of my head) are all way nicer than the NYC subway.

That’s only because if you so much as drop a gum wrapper you’re executed on the spot, right in front of anyone.

by Anonymousreply 38September 12, 2021 10:16 PM

Why doesn’t the whiny bitch filming the subway station get a trash bag and a grabber tool and start cleaning up some trash if it bothers him so much?

by Anonymousreply 39September 12, 2021 10:26 PM

Boston subways are much cleaner.

by Anonymousreply 40September 12, 2021 10:27 PM

R38, LOL. Funny.

by Anonymousreply 41September 12, 2021 10:31 PM

[quote] That’s only because if you so much as drop a gum wrapper you’re executed on the spot, right in front of anyone.

Good idea. Singapore is clean as a whistle. Why? Public caning for gum chewing and a host of similarly painful punishments for people who lack manners in public. We should consider it.

by Anonymousreply 42September 12, 2021 10:34 PM

r36 some of us DO live in NY but we can bitch about certain things in NY (think Fran Lebowitz). And we're familiar with other countries.

by Anonymousreply 43September 12, 2021 11:23 PM

Bile or experience R36? Moved out of NYC in 2006 after16 years. crowded, over-built, noisy, dangerous, dirty, nightlife died and corporate chains everywhere. Rarely took the subway when I did live there.

by Anonymousreply 44September 12, 2021 11:47 PM

R42 American’s have freedum and would also abuse the reporting to get their enemies caned.

by Anonymousreply 45September 12, 2021 11:54 PM

I'd report the cute guys.

by Anonymousreply 46September 13, 2021 12:15 AM

Yes, our subway system is a bit of a mess, OP, but that’s because it has been mismanaged and poorly financed/maintained for a long time now. A big part of the mess comes from the budget/control of the MTA.

I believe only about 10% of the budget comes from the city with the rest being controlled by Albany. This means the subway becomes a negotiating tool for the politicians to get what they want and it’s the people and the tracks that suffer because of it. After decades of skimping on signal and track maintenance, we’re suffering the consequences now.

I hope that Adams and who becomes the new governor can work together to better fund and fix the subway’s problems.

That said, NYC is still fucking amazing and has seen a rebirth coming out of the pandemic. Empty storefronts are slowly being rented again and fresh, new businesses are popping up. Theater is returning, movie theaters are full (my showing of La Piscine at Film Forum was quite crowded) and restaurants are abuzz. New York is far from dead.

And as shitty as our subway can be sometimes, it still gets you where you need to go.

by Anonymousreply 47September 13, 2021 12:40 AM

Why is a once great city such a dump? Big Bird and Fredo.

by Anonymousreply 48September 13, 2021 1:27 AM

Gum isn't much chewed outside the US, R38.

by Anonymousreply 49September 13, 2021 1:29 AM

r44, And yet 15 years later your entire identity, literally, is when you lived here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 13, 2021 1:44 AM

R20, Far and away the most featured city in the movies?. I suspect there are more movies that take place in Los Angeles, than in NYC. How many Film Noir movies are there, and how many of them take place in NYC compared to LA?

by Anonymousreply 51September 13, 2021 1:45 AM

A typical NYC subway ride.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 13, 2021 2:12 AM

NYC is awesome. Lived there since 1995. And the graffiti at 191st is cool.

by Anonymousreply 53September 13, 2021 2:25 AM

[Quote]the ONLY 24-hour subway system in the world. Of course, the dumb cunts on this thread don't think of that.

What does this have to do with the filth, black mold, shit on walls, etc?

There's an absence of civic pride.

by Anonymousreply 54September 13, 2021 2:32 AM

How many of DL's New Yorkers are in rent-controlled hovels they've been in for decades and are living on $50,000 a year?

by Anonymousreply 55September 13, 2021 2:44 AM

R20 film makers loved NY for its sense of urban chaos and decay: Midnight Cowboy, The Warriors, Mean Streets, Little Murders, Death Wish. The French Connection, Klute, The Pawnbroker, Do the Right Thing, Shaft, Across 110th Street, Escape from New York, The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three, Fort Apache the Bronx, West Side Story, Smithereens, The Pope of Greenwich Village, Summer of Sam, Rent, Ms. 45, State of Grace, The Out of Towners, Bad Lieutenant, Basketball Diaries, Bringing Out the Dead, Panic Room, Uncut Gems, Dressed to Kill, After Hours, Liquid Sky, Hi, Mom! Desperate Characters, The Possession of Joel Delaney, The Prisoner of Second Avenue, Fingers, Gloria

by Anonymousreply 56September 13, 2021 4:09 AM

September 2021 in Manhattan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 13, 2021 4:22 AM

It's been a dump since the early nineteenth century, at least. Even in the most glamorous and romantic era you can imagine since then, it still was a dump if you were poor.

It's always when you're younger, and metropolitan centers seem mysterious and romantic, that you neglect to see how trashed they always are. When you get older you think they suddenly became dumps, because it's unimaginable to you that you used to see cities through rose-colored glasses.

by Anonymousreply 58September 13, 2021 4:27 AM

That's a unique station, the deepest in the subway system, and most directly accessed by elevators. This tunnel entrance does not belong to MTA and is known as a dangerous entrance- it's officially called "Tunnel street". Non-subway users also use that tunnel and then take the elevators up as a way of avoiding a very steep hill climb if they are on foot. I wouldn't take that tunnel as representative of the NYC subway system. N one can pretend that the NY subways are works of art like the Moscow subways. They are dirty, noisy, utilitarian at best. But NY is also not the capitol of a totalitarian country, where the poor peasants all over the nation in shithole villages without running water or toilets are taxed to pay to beautify the capitol as a propaganda effort to make the entire country appear rich and glamorous. As a matter of fact, the rich of New York are taxed heavily to support rural people in rural states live more comfortable lives.

by Anonymousreply 59September 13, 2021 4:53 AM

The rich in New York find one million ways to avoid paying their fair share of taxes, don't kid yourself.

by Anonymousreply 60September 13, 2021 5:01 AM

Which is why the arts have become so expensive. The rich don't pay their fair share of taxes and no longer give a shit about opera, ballet, music and museums. You think those Saudi and Russian billionaires care about NY beyond money laundering?

by Anonymousreply 61September 13, 2021 5:27 AM

True r61. The foreign scumbags are only interested in parking their ill-gotten money in real estate, it's a giant scam. They care nothing about NYC or America in general. And nothing is done about it.

by Anonymousreply 62September 13, 2021 5:32 AM

191st? It goes up that high? Can you imagine? Yikes. We don't recommend leaving the seventies.

by Anonymousreply 63September 13, 2021 5:40 AM

R62's idea of a foreign scumbag is someone from New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 64September 13, 2021 5:54 AM

No r64 I fucking live here and every New Yorker knows who these foreign scumbags are.

by Anonymousreply 65September 13, 2021 6:09 AM

[quote] 191st? It goes up that high? Can you imagine? Yikes. We don't recommend leaving the seventies.

Most of the eldergays in this thread haven't gotten laid since then.

by Anonymousreply 66September 13, 2021 7:26 AM

We need that 3tn infrastructure bill. Pete will fix it, to the extent reasonable. New York is the crown jewel of the US I think we all agree, how begrudgingly by some.

by Anonymousreply 67September 13, 2021 7:53 AM

But I'd add the graffiti looks great. Nor as wonderful add it was in the 1970s and 80s. Why is that, would some graffiti art connoisseurs care to venture?

Where are the Harings, Hambletons and Lady Pinks of today. I'm shocked the best graffiti artist working today is in England.

by Anonymousreply 68September 13, 2021 7:58 AM

[quote]Where are the Harings, Hambletons and Lady Pinks of today.

They work in tech now. Lots of people who in previous generations would've been artists are now in tech.

by Anonymousreply 69September 13, 2021 3:13 PM

NY cultivates Adderall Zombies rather than artists now

by Anonymousreply 70September 13, 2021 4:14 PM

NY is full of wealthy kids living off their parents. Nobody else in that age group can afford to live there.

by Anonymousreply 71September 13, 2021 4:20 PM

Hey, enough about me and my social circle, R71!

by Anonymousreply 72September 13, 2021 4:26 PM

They are ignorant of economics and they vote for politicians who demonstrate similar ignorance. This is what you get when your parents don't teach you how to do things for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 73September 13, 2021 4:26 PM

[R57] At first, I thought that was Lens, then remembered she has tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 74September 13, 2021 4:55 PM

R11 No darling, times have changed and if you can't afford to LEAVE the city then you're the one that's poor.

by Anonymousreply 75September 15, 2021 2:05 AM

Bill de Blasio

by Anonymousreply 76September 15, 2021 2:17 AM

de Blasio expects New Yorkers to be beaten, robbed, raped, and killed.... and then, and ONLY then, are they allowed to defend themselves with a gun if necessary.

by Anonymousreply 77September 15, 2021 2:25 AM

This all started after the disastrous changes to our immigration laws in 1965. I wish I would have been alive then to travel the country and to Europe before it was ruined.

by Anonymousreply 78September 15, 2021 2:26 AM

Ridiculous video. In Fall 2018 I was in rehearsals in that part of the city and used that station stop and walked that long, colorful tunnel every day for three or four straight weeks. It's a great station.

He's making this video after Hurricane Ida whipped through town during a pandemic. Screw him. You want suburbia, have at it.

by Anonymousreply 79September 15, 2021 3:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!